Type keyword(s) to search

Season 4 Discussion

• Start Topic

57 minutes ago, howiveaddict said:

Liked this episode even though I figured out right away who the murderer was.  Glad will didn't decide to move back home but, was realistic about the farm.  Hope he doesn't move his mother in with him.  I seem to be one of the few who like Will.

Would have loved to have seen him just tell her off. Sorry your feelings aren't being considered, lady, but how much income do your feelings generate exactly? Are you going to go out and get a job? Ask those two poor servants to support you having already been beaten up and arrested? You can't live in a castle anymore because you can't pay for it. No one has ever suffered like you.

48 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

So they're all out partying and being "teddy boys" (which are what, exactly???) at 14-15?

Teddy boys refers to the look those guys were sporting Edwardianish via the 1950s clothing (where the name Teddy comes from) and the floofy ducktail hair. They dressed like that and liked rock 'n roll. So as far as Geordie were considered they were a bad influence for sure!

But yeah, how old were all these kids supposed to be?

Edited by sistermagpie
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Here we were presented some teeny bopper dance songs and i can't name the songs or artists for life of me and it's driving me nuts. I know these songs. Why are the names not coming to me though???? 

I think because maybe those songs were written for the show.  The sounds were familiar but I don't think they were actual songs -- just generic teeny-bopper stuff, like elevator music.  It's not like Call the Midwife, a show that could afford to pay for the rights to real songs, right off the Top 40 charts. 

I liked this as a finale but damn, Geordie needs to calm down.  Will grew on me.  I'm fine with Mrs. C not wanting Daniel around but girl, it's like sweeping stuff under the rug -- they're still gonna have that relationship. 

• Love 2

I thought this was an enjoyable season finale.  The show  actually got better once Sidney left.  I did not like the Leonard story line though that improved in the final episode.  Sadly the most comfort he can have in his life in these times is what he has now.  His one piece of luck is that he has the support and protection of the new Vicar. He lucked out twice there with both Sidney and Will.   He wouldn't find this tolerance with most Vicars in that time period.

Geordie needs to chill out.  His aggressive behavior due to his personal problems and frustrations is completely unprofessional and unattractive.  The Cathy sexual harassment story line  came to a satisfying conclusion.  Mrs.C was awesome there.

I like Will.  His character has become quite well defined in a short period of time. He is different enough from Sidney that I hope he will not make my teeth grind the way Sidney did with his endless women drama and general malaise.

• Love 10

The finale was the best episode of this season.  My favorite part had to be seeing Mrs. C take on a different type of role.  I'm glad they're bringing Kathy on more and loved their take down of the slime ball in the store.

I'm glad that Mrs. C and Leonard are making up.  Because this was in the late 1950's, I never expected her to welcome Leonard's boyfriend with open arms.  She is handling the situation the only way she can.  If she doesn't see the boyfriend, she isn't constantly reminded about their relationship.  It may not be perfect, but it's progress.  

I'm still liking Will a lot.  It's very difficult to deal with someone like his mother, but I hope we see more of this play out next season.  I like how Will went after Leonard to bring him home where he belongs. 

Geordie is always going to be Geordie, but I do like that he respected Kathy's request not to confront the slime ball.  He got angry, which is to be expected, but he didn't confront the guy.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable finale with everything wrapped up neatly.

• Love 14

I think because maybe those songs were written for the show.  The sounds were familiar but I don't think they were actual songs -- just generic teeny-bopper stuff, like elevator music.  It's not like Call the Midwife, a show that could afford to pay for the rights to real songs, right off the Top 40 charts. 

No idea if the dance songs were "real" or not, but earlier in the season they used both "Long Tall Sally" (first episode) and "Earth Angel" (second episode), so music rights don't seem to be a problem for them...

• Love 2

I feel like I missed something with the Cathy storyline. So it seemed like Mrs. C pretended to be a super rich woman who was going to spend tons of money on the condition that the store fired the harasser. But what happen when she disappears again? Won't the store quickly realize she doesn't exist and potentially hire the guy back? Is it just assumed that once he's gone they wouldn't bother and he wouldn't come back to try for another job? Or did I just totally not follow some part of it?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

I feel like I missed something with the Cathy storyline. So it seemed like Mrs. C pretended to be a super rich woman who was going to spend tons of money on the condition that the store fired the harasser. But what happen when she disappears again? Won't the store quickly realize she doesn't exist and potentially hire the guy back? Is it just assumed that once he's gone they wouldn't bother and he wouldn't come back to try for another job? Or did I just totally not follow some part of it?

Mrs C can actually afford all that buying she's going to do. Mr C is well off. The only pretension was her accent. That's why when Mr C praised her for helping Cathy near the end of the episode, she told him to wait till he sees how much they'll be spending.

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness
  • Love 6

Yeah, Mrs. C spent enough money to make the threat have some teeth. "Get rid of this guy or I'll never spend money here again." She'll probably never spend that much again, but I can see both her and Mr C shopping there again as long as the perv is gone.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

Mrs C can actually afford all that buying she's going to do. Mr C is well off. The only pretension was her accent. That's why when Mr C praised her for helping Cathy near the end of the episode, she told him to wait till he sees how much they'll be spending.

Ah! Okay, I thought that was it from that line but then I wasn't sure because I couldn't imagine her actually spending a lot of money for any reason. LOL. But this is one thing that would inspire her to spend money.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Yeah, Mrs. C spent enough money to make the threat have some teeth.

And isn't is sad that money talks then and now?  Cathy reporting the lecher resulted in a scolding by the big boss and enabling the groper.  A seemingly rich woman wants him gone and - bam, he's out of there, no questions asked. 

Cathy is another member of the "me, too" movement.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

And isn't is sad that money talks then and now?  Cathy reporting the lecher resulted in a scolding by the big boss and enabling the groper.  A seemingly rich woman wants him gone and - bam, he's out of there, no questions asked. 

Cathy is another member of the "me, too" movement.

My mother and I had been hoping Cathy would get a group of employees he had harassed together so that the boss couldn't ignore it.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

My mother and I had been hoping Cathy would get a group of employees he had harassed together so that the boss couldn't ignore it.

Me, too! But back then (and again, even today) the woman is blamed for "leading him on" or doing something as simple as Cathy did, having a drink with him.  Most women wouldn't make it public out of shame so probably a lot of the women he accosted would never speak up.

• Love 3
On 8/13/2019 at 7:52 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

No idea if the dance songs were "real" or not, but earlier in the season they used both "Long Tall Sally" (first episode) and "Earth Angel" (second episode), so music rights don't seem to be a problem for them...

True.  I didn't recognize the songs, and since the 1950's is my era, that made me think they weren't "real" songs.  But they may have been popular in the UK and not made it across to the States.  Or it may have been a local band.  I don't recall if the music at the dance was live or recorded.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

Probably still wouldn't have done any good.   Been there and done that personally.   Women seem to be considered "replaceable", not the men.  

• Love 1
On 8/11/2019 at 10:41 PM, howiveaddict said:

Liked this episode even though I figured out right away who the murderer was.  Glad will didn't decide to move back home but, was realistic about the farm.  Hope he doesn't move his mother in with him.  I seem to be one of the few who like Will.

I like Will too. I can't wait to see what happens next season. 

On 8/11/2019 at 10:50 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

Mrs. C. for the win!

OK, so the anniversary Geordie and Cathy just celebrated was their 13th, right? So Esme is supposed to be twelve and a half, tops (and that's assuming that Geordie's belief in pre-marital sex was actual practice, AND resulted in a pregnancy...), younger if she was conceived after the wedding... And she's already having boys try to kiss her and exchanging love letters? Yikes! And didn't they say the kid who got killed and his classmates were only two years older than her? So they're all out partying and being "teddy boys" (which are what, exactly???) at 14-15?

15 sounds about right for Teddy Boys. In this case partying isn't sneaking into clubs that you have to be 18 or 21 to get into. Partying is going to dancehalls that I don't even think carded. 

Just started the Grantchester series and am now on Season 4 .  I am one to say that I am not happy with the break up of Amanda and Sidney.  I am especially not happy with the teaming of him and Violet.  They rushed the romance and there was nothing to start it and then they pursued it and now they are off.  Not sure how the series will go on now.  If Norton wanted out of the role, then they should have let him leave the church and marry Amanda and gone off together.  Much better ending in m opinion.  Love this series so far, but will see where this goes.

• Love 1

I've also just gotten to season 4, and Daniel saying to Leonard "You're just kind, that's all" is the best description of Leonard I've heard.

Also, "Bloody Vicars" would be a great alternate name for this show.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 2
On 8/12/2019 at 6:51 PM, magdalene said:

I like Will.  His character has become quite well defined in a short period of time. He is different enough from Sidney that I hope he will not make my teeth grind the way Sidney did with his endless women drama and general malaise.

🤣