Type keyword(s) to search

Season 4 Discussion

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I adored season one Leonard, who readily admitted he was more of a book person than a people person, but was unfailingly loyal to Sidney and Mrs. M. Him going to the police station with Mrs. M pretending to be her son to create a distraction for Sidney was one of my favorite funny moments of season one. I also loved him allowing Geordie's daughters to turn him into a "princess" at the picnic at the end of that season. 

This season we've got a few glimpses of old Leonard (he made a Dostoevsky reference in the one sermon when he thought he was getting the vicar job, and he was pretty funny in a very Leonard-esque way in the episode where he helped Geordie on the case), and some of the changes certainly make sense considering everything that's been going on with him, but mean-to-little-girls/ unable-to-communicate-effectively-with-Will Leonard is definitely annoying.

The princess scene was great, but the police station scene and the helping Geordie bits were written like an I Love Lucy episode, so silly and over the top. It never fit for me in a murder mystery series. It is a light show, but it was never slapstick.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

The closed-captioning had the word as "rigor" not "vigor".  I wasn't quite sure of the difference so I looked it up:

It was totally rigor! I didn't even realized I typed the other word. Rigor is better for what Mrs. C was saying.

I assumed the victim was halfway dead when he was walking up the stairs too because of the way he was walking--I figured he'd been poisoned or something. Yet I still didn't quite get it when it was revealed. LOL.

• Love 2

I guess the guy was internally bleeding and it all came out when he removed the nail.  

I guess Will hasn't watched enough crime shows to know that anytime the criminal wants to clean up before going to jail, they shoot themselves.  And in today's world, no way would a criminal be left alone before taking him to jail.

I don't think Will's father would have been charged with pre meditated murder.  Maybe assault or man slaughter. Especially since he seemed to have the sheriff on his side with the issue with the employee he hit.

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, howiveaddict said:

it all came out when he removed the nail. 

So he removed the nail himself? The imagined scene just showed him bleeding all over the bed like it happened in his sleep. Yet another really unclear/ improbable Grantchester mystery...

• Love 2

I thought the nail was plugging up it's own hole while he staggered around drunkenly, thinking it was only a bad headache.  Then, after he passed out on the bed, the pillow pressing against his head started the blood leaking out around the nail. 

More incredulous to me was that British aristocrats would be hanging their precious saddles and riding tack on a bare nail.  Wooden pegs at the very least!

• Love 8

Well, between our departed Sidney, and the new Vicar, it makes one long for Bing Crosby.  Ay, ay, ay.  

So Will is from a now-poor, but keeping up appearances, Aristocratic family.  Where Daddy is a sadistic abuser who beat up (presumed) his son, his wife, and elderly hapless servants.   Will rebels by becoming a Priest (and the way his parents act about THAT, you'd think that he had become the town drunk or something, opps - that was Sidney ), and is now abstinent until marriage (sure won't fit in with his parents' crowd).    I guess the parents had to ask themselves where they went wrong.  

Poor Leonard has turned into some kind of prissy, mean spirited, harpy, who is now acting like somebody out of The Boys In The Band (self loathing gay), rather than the kindly man we were introduced to earlier.   I know the writers are trying to add DRAMA, but what a mess....    They ought to drop "Grantchester" and just change the name to "Peyton Place".  

• Love 7
35 minutes ago, 12catcrazy said:

Well, between our departed Sidney, and the new Vicar, it makes one long for Bing Crosby.  Ay, ay, ay.  

I don't know if I long for him.  Wasn't Crosby at home, behind closed doors not such a nice guy at all?

Is next episode already the season finale?

• Love 3

I found episode a little dreary, but I liked the Leonard, Will, Mrs C drama. Will tried to appeal to Mrs. c’s ego to get her to return. Unfortunately, she was unwilling to return graciously and had to run the “rigor” issue in Leonard ‘s face. On another day, Leonard may have allowed that insult to pass. However, his ambition to move from curate to vicar has been thwarted and he’s in fear for his livelihood and freedom, so he could not let it pass.  As appalling as the punch was, I think it will lead to a rapprochement between the men, especially when Geordie tells Leonard that Will’s father died by suicide that day.  Honestly, this behavior all seemed pretty natural to me. 

• Love 8
14 hours ago, howiveaddict said:

I guess Will hasn't watched enough crime shows to know that anytime the criminal wants to clean up before going to jail, they shoot themselves.  And in today's world, no way would a criminal be left alone before taking him to jail.

Even without the crime shows you'd think he'd know his father would never go to jail. I guess he told himself his father would never be so undignified as to not go when he'd been fairly caught, but it was pretty funny how the entire episode had Will thinking to highly of his family. His mother wouldn't even stand up for the loyal servant he'd beaten up. His father was a con man. The whole family's prime directive was lying to everyone about their problems. And yet Will takes his father's word at face value about facing the music about all his dark secrets as long as he's in a nice suit. LOL.

50 minutes ago, nara said:

Honestly, this behavior all seemed pretty natural to me. 

Made sense to me too, basically. It is funny how nobody thinks he's ready to be vicar even without people knowing he's gay when there's never much question about whatever hot, totally unstable guy is up for the job. I know Leonard's sermons are boring and too academic, but he is generally there to give the sermon if the main guy's on a bender or solving a mystery or just punched somebody (even if they do deserve it). 

• Love 8

I wonder if we have once again been subjected to the famous PBS scene cuts.  Like others have said, it seemed strange that Will and Geordie would walk into Will's family dining room without any type of introduction.

It was so strange seeing sweet, gentle "Inspector Lynley" being such a nasty bugger.  I've seen Nat Parker in other roles where he has been the bad guy or light in morals, but this is the first time I have seen him bullying, downright mean, and lacking in charm.  It only took 10 seconds to see that as Will's father he was no "Lynley."  In other words, he did a great job convincing me that he was completely contemptible.  Will's background explains a lot about why he ended up a vicar.  Maybe that is his way of dealing with the concept of the Sins of the Father.

Both Mrs. C and Leonard were a little mean.  It's understandable because their lives have been turned upside down and they have lost something precious -- their friendship and mutual admiration. 

Mrs. C's identity is all tied up in the vicarage, and she probably got snarky with Leonard because she blames him for her having to leave.  Leonard is at a boiling point feeling put upon and unappreciated and is striking out because of it.  He went too far trash talking Will to the Archdeacon.  I doubt if Will would have punched him, though, if as BlackberryJam pointed out, he hadn't said the same thing as his father about Will being a disappointment.  To Will's credit, he did not out Leonard to the Archdeacon.

Now that everyone is royally ticked at each other, the stage is set to see how they make nice.  Underneath it all, they're all good people who need to apologize, forgive, and learn to live with their and others' faults.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Possum said:

He went too far trash talking Will to the Archdeacon. 

I think Leonard was petty about the little girl, but he was right to be angry with Will disappearing for however long it was with no notice whatsoever. Will couldn't have called the vicarage to say he was dealing with a family matter?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Had to double up on the past two episodes bc we've been out and about on sunday evenings lately:

Episode 4:

like most everyone here, i was cheering when the grandma took out her awful daughter-in-law.

The leonard/mrs. MC stuff continues to break my heart. That photo of him, her and sidney :'(. I'm glad to see that the mention of sidney has lingered on since he left. There have been shows that once they drop a character it's like they're never mentioned again. At least they aren't pretending sidney never existed. 

Episode 5:

Will's family sucks.

Leonard has reached his boiling point and while the pettiness wasn't cool, i can't fault him too much for his behavior. Did he go too far with calling the archdeacon? Yeah, but to be fair leonard's on the mark about how Will has kinda dropped the ball in terms of the vicarage duty, especially considering he just arrived there. 

I actually kind of like how leonard is at odds with Will. It's different from before and i would have been miffed if Will moved in and the character dynamics would have stayed unchanged from what they were like with sidney.

Anyone notice in the past two episodes geordie keeps picking up pieces of evidence all willy nilly with his bare hands??? Like, he was careful to pick up knives and stuff with a handkerchief in the first few episodes and now he just doesn't seem to care. 

The new detective dude continues to be a waste of space. He literally adds nothing to the shows. He doesn't do anything.

Can't believe next week is the finale. Has it really been five episodes already? :(

• Love 1
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

I think Leonard was petty about the little girl, but he was right to be angry with Will disappearing for however long it was with no notice whatsoever. Will couldn't have called the vicarage to say he was dealing with a family matter?

I agree that Will should have called the vicarage to let them know what was going on.  However, I think Leonard overreacted trashing Will to the Archdeacon.  It made him look like, "I didn't get the job, so I'm going to bring down the guy who did."  That is not Leonard.  The funny thing is his boyfriend said something to him before the meeting with the Archdeacon took place, something like stop being so petty. 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, magdalene said:

I don't know if I long for him.  Wasn't Crosby at home, behind closed doors not such a nice guy at all?

Is next episode already the season finale?

Bing was horrible to his first set of children, including beatings. I think they all ended up alcoholics.  Second set, in later years, I think he had mellowed by then.  Wasn't his daughter the one who played the actress who shot JR Ewing?  

On topic, is seemed like Will's father lived in the feudal era. Beating his servant.  Also, I'm surprised Leonard and the Bishop didn't call for hanging of the little girl who stole.  Isn't that what they did back in the old days to theives?  Wonder if she will have a back story where she stole to feed her family.

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, howiveaddict said:

Bing was horrible to his first set of children, including beatings. I think they all ended up alcoholics.  Second set, in later years, I think he had mellowed by then.  Wasn't his daughter the one who played the actress who shot JR Ewing?  

That's right!

I may be forgetting a scene, but does Will actually know Leonard is gay?

1 hour ago, sistermagpie said:

I don't think he does, no. I would imagine he suspects, but then again, given how little time he seems to spend at the vicarage, maybe not.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

That's right!

There was a scene between Georgie and Will when Leonard was mentioned.  I can't remember much about it except that it led me to believe that Will suspected Leonard's secret.  Nothing was said outright, but there was some type of implication.  Wish I could remember more.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I don't think he does, no. I would imagine he suspects, but then again, given how little time he seems to spend at the vicarage, maybe not.

Maybe, but how/when would someone like Will develop gaydar? Also, does anyone know if there are differences (cut scenes) between the UK and the US version? 

1 minute ago, Sarah 103 said:

Maybe, but how/when would someone like Will develop gaydar?

True. Like Possum said, I think there was a scene where it was very subtly alluded to in some way, and Will is a little more wordly than Mrs. C, but I guess I should keep the era in mind a bit more. I would think the fact that Daniel is at the vicarage ALL THE TIME might make him wonder a bit, but again, since Will himself is fairly scarce and just getting used to Grantchester, maybe he doesn't question it.

Geordie has been shown to have a quick-to-judge (though not always accurate) "gay-dar," going back to his first encounter with Leonard, though, so it does seem to exist in Grantchester! I guess a cop back then would be more likely to develop it than a vicar.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Geordie also immediately thought the perv at his wife's store was gay, and we don't actually know if he is.

Yes, that's what I was thinking of when I said "not always accurate"... Faulty gay-dar, but he's not afraid to point out his observations to both Sidney and his wife.

On the perv note, I wonder if he specifically tries to present himself as possibly gay in certain situations so that people let their guards down... 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

Maybe, but how/when would someone like Will develop gaydar? Also, does anyone know if there are differences (cut scenes) between the UK and the US version? 

I wondered that too when I thought it looked as if Will guessed that Leonard was gay.  Then I thought that while training for the church, Will likely would have been instructed on the various types of people he would encounter.  Now that we know that he came from an upper class family, it seems likely that he might have gone to boarding school where he would learn even more.  Plus, Leonard does come across as different compared to the other men in the show.  While a man might pick it out, someone sheltered like Mrs. C would likely just consider Leonard a sweet, shy young man.

• Love 2

Public school will teach even the most sheltered boy gay-dar.  Since he is upper-class Will would have gone to public school.  And apropos nothing - the word public school is such a misnomer.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 8/5/2019 at 7:09 AM, JudyObscure said:

I agree with every word Quilt Fairy said right down to not knowing who the woman on the couch was. What a mess.

Next week -- Dickens turns mean and bites everyone.

Noooooooo!  This is what would finally get me to quit this series...

On 8/5/2019 at 2:15 AM, Quilt Fairy said:

Also, while younger people may not mind this, at my age I'm continually hoping to make it to the next season of The Queen or Westworld. 

I think waiting for the final year of Game of Thrones cured me of the "will I live long enough?" thing (and I am old enough to worry).  

Some of the British mysteries come closer to closure for series based on mystery novels.  Even though the story lines diverge from the books to the TV, (Shetland) there's some closure to be had.  Somehow, I haven't been drawn to the Grantchester novels.....maybe because the Vicar was so un-vicar-ish in his personal foibles. 

• Love 1

Huh! I liked the most recent episode MUCH more than many here. Indeed, I loved it. Saw it with friends on Sunday, missed some because of post-pizza somnolence, but was recording it at home, and have watched it twice more since then.

I can therefore report that it's definite that Will's father's friend/victim had the nail break off in his skull, staggered upstairs feeling a touch of malaise from the brain injury, felt a sharp pain when he lay down (we see him wince) and pulled out the half-nail. He dropped it by his side, fell back and, the wound plug being out, started bleeding to death from the wound. So the half-nail was there for Geordie to find, on the floor after the bedding was thrown back.

Also, Will's discernment about Leonard was in the scene where they were talking, before the victim's wife comes down covered with blood, and Geordie says he doesn't know why Mrs. C. has taken so against Leonard. Will says something like "I have an idea." I was semi-glad to hear this as I've been looking forward to how he'll react when he does find out, and it seemed he'd take it well.

But surely that was a well-written mystery. The main mystery was not whether someone stole or who killed whom, but what circumstances Will came from. First letting us, along with Geordie, think his parents were the elderly servants, then revealing that he was the son of the enormous manor house, and the infuriating awfulness of his parents... I specially fancied the double revelation that (a) the family is in fact poor and in over its head, (b) there is no prize horse (Will recognizing the familiar saddle in the slides, good clue) and that was the reason for the quarrel and the accidental death. I see that next week's finale (GAAH! FINALE!! When we need eight or ten episodes to sort out all this angst!)  has scenes back at the manor house, so I hope they make it clear then, as they should have done here, that the old servant was freed after the father shot himself. 

But of course the main thing was the tragedy of good people saying just the wrong thing at the wrong moment to each other. Mrs. C., for a reason I don't fully understand, misrepresented what Will said to her about Leonard; he did not tell her Leonard lacked rigor, just said she had it and mainly talked about what a good man Leonard was and how he was not damned to Hell. Maybe she needed to make herself important when returning to the church council? But she hurt him so much with her faulty reporting on Will that he threw her out, got the archdeacon in, and fatally used the same words to Will ("a constant disappointment") that his father had. The writers were cruel divinities who closed the trap around these three nice people. But at least Cathy told Geordie what was really going on at work, so there's hot trouble but not alienation there.

So I'm dying to see the next episode, hoping that after all these crises there will be resolution. Never mind the mystery of the week! Clear up these people's troubles! I didn't care for the soap opera part of it in Sidney's time, but, as long as they don't drag it out, I liked this.

I hope Will keeps his vow of celibacy till marriage; we've had quite enough of the other sort of plot in Sidney's time.

• Useful 1
  • Love 17
6 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Geordie also immediately thought the perv at his wife's store was gay, and we don't actually know if he is.

I initially assumed he was gay until he put the moves on Kathy.

5 hours ago, magdalene said:

Public school will teach even the most sheltered boy gay-dar.  Since he is upper-class Will would have gone to public school.  And apropos nothing - the word public school is such a misnomer.

It’s more public than a private tutor, so I guess that is where the name came from

Thanks for watching it twice so we didn't have to, Corvino!

Now, my remaining question is this:  Didn't Will imply to Mrs. C that it was the other church council lady (the prissy one Leonard was having in for tea)  who lacked rigor?  Could that have been who Mrs. C was talking about when she came through the door and Leonard only thought it was about him?  Or is that just how I want it to have been?

• Love 3
20 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Geordie has been shown to have a quick-to-judge (though not always accurate) "gay-dar," going back to his first encounter with Leonard, though, so it does seem to exist in Grantchester! I guess a cop back then would be more likely to develop it than a vicar.

That's exactly what was I thinking. I have no trouble with Geordie having gaydar because of his job. I figured it's someone that would have developed in the course of his job, because homosexuality was a crime and he may have investigated other cases where it was an issue. 

18 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Yes, that's what I was thinking of when I said "not always accurate"... Faulty gay-dar, but he's not afraid to point out his observations to both Sidney and his wife.

On the perv note, I wonder if he specifically tries to present himself as possibly gay in certain situations so that people let their guards down... 

My thought is that he is bi, or he presents himself as possibly gay so people will dismiss any rumors, and women may be more willing to get a drink with him. 

• Love 1

I believe Will knew Mrs. C wanted to come back and gave her an excuse to “save face” with the situation with the Church Council lady. Had he been there for that meeting, I think Leonard would have caught on about what Will was about and everything would have been fine. Also, if Will would have said “my dad passed away” right when he came in, another disaster would have been averted. I hope it all gets straightened out in the finale and we can start fresh with everyone in place for the next season.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Also, if Will would have said “my dad passed away” right when he came in, another disaster would have been averted.

This is what annoys me. The lack of communication was purely to serve the plot. It's a very lazy way to create trouble, and it's dumb.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Now, my remaining question is this:  Didn't Will imply to Mrs. C that it was the other church council lady (the prissy one Leonard was having in for tea)  who lacked rigor?  Could that have been who Mrs. C was talking about when she came through the door and Leonard only thought it was about him?  Or is that just how I want it to have been?

Yes, it seemed to me that Mrs. C was giving the stink eye to the other woman when she mentioned the lack of rigor (and looked at her pointedly a few times before that too), but Leonard didn't notice since he was behind her and mistakenly took it to mean Will had been complaining to Mrs. C about him.

• Love 5

My problem with the scene where Leonard and the Bishop confront Will is that it's such an overused trope.  Someone has a terrible experience and delays talking about it.  Frequent example:  Husband's late for dinner because he stopped to help at an accident scene.  Instead of explaining as soon as he gets home, he lets his wife berate him for not calling.  Wife ends up feeling guilty for being insensitive.

Will needed to stop Leonard and the Bishop but he didn't, because then he couldn't be a martyr to their insensitivity.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

Or what dubbel zout said -- it's lazy writing -- lack of communication always is.  There's rarely a good reason for it.

Likewise Will has time to call Geordie and explain to him that he wants him to come with him to his parents' house because he's a policeman etc., but it doesn't occur to him to tell anybody at work they need to cover his shift?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, sistermagpie said:

Likewise Will has time to call Geordie and explain to him that he wants him to come with him to his parents' house because he's a policeman etc., but it doesn't occur to him to tell anybody at work they need to cover his shift?

To be fair, he wasn't planning on staying as long as he did... I would assume/ hope he told Leonard he was going out for the day to begin with, but he definitely should have called after the murder occurred (and before he was distraught over his father) when it was clear he'd be staying longer and Leonard would have to cover the sermon. 

I was going to say maybe the parents let the phone bill lapse due to their money woes, but the housekeeper phoned Will to begin with so...

Edited by dargosmydaddy
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Leonard would have to cover the sermon. 

I would think ministers would have a few "spare" sermons handy just in case.  Accidents happen, for goodness sake, as does illness.  To act like it was a huge imposition was childish.  

I used to like Leonard until this episode.  Now I just seem him as a big, whiny baby tattling to daddy.

• Love 6

Eh... Leonard definitely behaved questionably several times throughout this episode, but I'd be pissed, too, if my superior (who got the job over me, and who I had been led to believe had recently spoken badly about me to someone I loved) just disappeared (which he already had a habit of doing), and I had to fill in for him with no forewarning, regardless if I had a sermon prepared just in case or not.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I would think ministers would have a few "spare" sermons handy just in case.  Accidents happen, for goodness sake, as does illness.  To act like it was a huge imposition was childish.  

But Leonard wasn't reacting to an accident or a last minute illness as an imposition.

What he saw was a guy who took off the day before he was supposed to deliver a sermon and apparently didn't think to tell anyone he wouldn't be there until it was so late Leonard had to run into a church full of waiting people practically pulling his cassock over his head. Watching the scenes it seems like Will might never have called at all and Leonard just got word that people were staring at an empty alter. And when Will finally walks in he doesn't act like this happened at all--as was said above, so that it sets him up as a martyr to other's insensitivity.

Leonard was acting like a little tattletale, certainly, but I get where the pissy feeling comes from.

• Love 5

I did have to look at the whole nail thing with a skeptical eye.  There is no major artery or vein anywhere near where that nail entered the dead guy's neck.  The most that a puncture wound in the back of the neck would cause is a little seep, not the amount of blood shown surrounding him in the bed.  That nail wasn't that long and wouldn't just fall out onto the floor either.   That whole thing was ridiculous.

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Only one more episode? Have there always been this few episodes? I thought there would be at least six. Oh well, it hasn't exactly been the best season.

This season does have six episodes. The two hour premiere was episodes one and two.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I did have to look at the whole nail thing with a skeptical eye.  There is no major artery or vein anywhere near where that nail entered the dead guy's neck.  The most that a puncture wound in the back of the neck would cause is a little seep, not the amount of blood shown surrounding him in the bed.  That nail wasn't that long and wouldn't just fall out onto the floor either.   That whole thing was ridiculous.

It's more ridiculous than that.  The nail supposedly went into the back of his head, not the back of the neck. 

• Love 1
On 8/9/2019 at 2:25 PM, AuntiePam said:

Will needed to stop Leonard and the Bishop but he didn't, because then he couldn't be a martyr to their insensitivity.

Well put. And I think that's the posture in which Will's father had long placed him, and from which he now mourned him. Will left his ancestral home crouching; he arrived back in Grantchester still crouching, and beginning to crumble. He was already grappling with his mother's renewed hope that he'd give up the White Cloak cassock and take up his duties to the estate. To walk in the door of his vicarage and find his Bishop and curate standing in judgment, in the roles of his condescending and conniving father and crony...

Plot device though it was, that miscommunication made more sense to me than Leonard's misconstruing Mrs. C. Granted, Leonard was looking to feel wronged by Will (rather than bested), and was also on redoubled high alert for arch insinuations such as "lacking in rigor." Still, this kind of gossip had been his and Mrs. C's private domain. I doubt Leonard would have taken her so wrong.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Pallas said:

Plot device though it was, that miscommunication made more sense to me than Leonard's misconstruing Mrs. C. Granted, Leonard was looking to feel wronged by Will (rather than bested), and was also on redoubled high alert for arch insinuations such as "lacking in rigor." Still, this kind of gossip had been his and Mrs. C's private domain. I doubt Leonard would have taken her so wrong.

I think I didn't even take it so much that he really misunderstood. It seemed more like he had just gotten to the point in his feelings about her where he was angry instead of hurt so wanted to reject her in return and that added to his misunderstanding something intentionally.

• Love 4

Geordie's behavior this episode: not good, but still not as bad as he was in the season 1 whooping cough episode imo. Will, count yourself lucky that you've only seen the tip of the iceburg that is geordie's nasty personality.  

Yay! The creeper is gone!

Mrs. MC was entertaining. 

Glad to see that she and leonard are kinda-ish beginning to start trying to mend their relationship. Daniel probably won't be happy about being banned from the vicarage. I wonder if they could possibly break up next season. 

Congrats other detective guy, you've earned the LVP (least valuable player) award for this season. You literally did nothing but stand there, drink coffee and make an occassional rude and/or vile comment. Your character is so pointless.

Here we were presented some teeny bopper dance songs and i can't name the songs or artists for life of me and it's driving me nuts. I know these songs. Why are the names not coming to me though???? 

• Love 4

Well that certainly seemed like a final type finale. Everything all neatly tied up. I have a feeling that was the last episode we will ever see.

Love Cathy and Mrs C working together. Well done!

• Love 5

Liked this episode even though I figured out right away who the murderer was.  Glad will didn't decide to move back home but, was realistic about the farm.  Hope he doesn't move his mother in with him.  I seem to be one of the few who like Will.

• Love 7

Mrs. C. for the win!

OK, so the anniversary Geordie and Cathy just celebrated was their 13th, right? So Esme is supposed to be twelve and a half, tops (and that's assuming that Geordie's belief in pre-marital sex was actual practice, AND resulted in a pregnancy...), younger if she was conceived after the wedding... And she's already having boys try to kiss her and exchanging love letters? Yikes! And didn't they say the kid who got killed and his classmates were only two years older than her? So they're all out partying and being "teddy boys" (which are what, exactly???) at 14-15?

22 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

I have a feeling that was the last episode we will ever see.

It's already been renewed for a season 5.

• Love 7

I like Will, but it might just be the contrast of the utter horror show of last season’s Sidney

I also like that Will’s mother was pissed when he was making the responsible choice. She empowered all of his father’s bad decision making and didn’t suddenly become smart and understanding and forgiving once her asshole abusive husband died. 

The mystery part was very secondary and that was fine. This was a really good set up episode for the future.

On an interesting note, I was watching old Midsomer Murders episodes and caught the actress playing Mrs. C in a Season 1 episode where she played the ridiculously loyal lesbian lover. 

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Love 10