Type keyword(s) to search

Felicity Smoak: Bitch With Wifi

• Start Topic

Breakout star is debatable (I say it's Stephen) but regardless...it doesn't always translate to future career success.

While I'll agree that it doesn't always translate to future career success,  Amell has now been in television and films for fourteen years, including a stint on Private Practice, which may not be a cult hit or an action show, but by any other measurement is a considerably more commercially successful show on a much bigger network.  Arrow has definitely increased his visiblity, no question, and this is the role he's best known for and seems the most excited about.  But as he himself has said, for him it hasn't been so much a breakout as a slow climb to success and finally getting the right role.

EBR, on the other hand, is the very definition of a breakout star: she was hired with one prior appearance for a single one shot scene, and from that went - within two years - to being the co-lead for all intents and purposes, getting nominated for awards, gaining positive critical attention, and being featured on major magazine covers. Whether that will do anything for her future career remains to be seen, but going from dog trainer to frequently mentioned as "stars to watch for," and having several critics suggest Emmy consideration in two years is definitely a breakout role.

Edit: I moved the stuff about Laurel/Katie Cassidy to the Laurel thread. I forgot what thread this was, sorry.

Edited by quarks
  • Love 11

Okay. Because I'm bored, I decided to wander off into the shadowlands (thanks Lion King) aka youtube, imdb, reddit, and to some extent ign to look at the comments. I saw quite a few people who wanted the show to kill off Felicity and I started to wonder why? Other than the fact that they probably don't like her, I'm going to try to put my personal bias aside and come up with a pro and con list for killing Felicity off. 

Pro (for it) -

• Shock the audience by doing the 'unthinkable'
  • To keep comic canon alive by making Oliver, Roy, and Laurel team Arrow as well as make Oliver/Laurel a couple
  • Irony (Oliver keeping Felicity at a distance to keep her safe only to have her be killed)
  • Mystery (who killed Felicity Smoak?)
  • Provides a lot of angst for Oliver and Team Arrow

I'm, surprised people want Felicity killed off, other than the Laurel fans.

Of those options, the only one that couldn't apply to another character is "to keep comic canon", except that now she is in the comic canon.  Shock, irony, mystery and angst are all covered by Sara's death.

Edited by statsgirl

Killing off Felicity would make as much sense as Oliver signing the company over to Isabel. On a notepad.

The way she owned the premiere gives me warm and fuzzies so I hope the writers...just make good decisions concerning her.

• Love 5

I really enjoyed Felicity in the premiere. I already loved her and the way she handles the situation with Oliver but for her to walk away was phenomenal. I loved that moment. While to me there was no doubt that the Felicity in my head-canon would do so, I wasn't expecting the writers to see that so to me that was fantastic and made absolute and complete sense. I always respect those who have enough self respect to consider things other than romantic love as worthy of importance and paramount. It made me see that TPTB see her as her own person and more than just the love interest, she puts their friendship and partnership above their potential romance and does not allow the weird limbo state of maybe to continue when it would hurt her.

*Happy Sigh*... I just love this character!!! This makes me remember why acting is an art form. There is craft involved and when your heart and soul are in it, it works. I really appreciate EBR's comedic gifts because they rely on much more precision, insight and direction than most would imagine. My babble is over now. I think I have a total girl crush...

8291289.gif

Edited by fantique
  • Love 14

EBR is one of the breakout stars of Arrow. She finished a movie a while ago called Brooklyn 

I have read the novel that film is based on. Patty (the character she is playing in the film) is basically a Regina George type mean girl character who does not understand the quiet and timid heroine (they all live in this boarding house type home and work in Brooklyn in early 20th century). She is boy crazy and wears a lot of make up and picks up fights with other residents of the house.

Considering she only shot for three weeks in Montreal, it is a minor role but I am really looking forward to seeing it because this character Patty (mean, petty and somewhat vindictive) is about as far removed from Felicity who is sweet, compassionate and modern and will show us the range that Emily Bett Rickards has.

PS: I probably would not have picked up that book to read because Frank McCourt and his books about Irish immigrants and their depressing lives made me vary of anything about Irish immigrants. I only picked it because I love EBR and wanted to know what character she will be playing. If she has managed to make loyal fans like that, I say her future is pretty secure. Not everyone becomes Jennifer Aniston after playing one role (she did that for 10 years though) but not everyone needs to become Jennifer Aniston. Becoming Julia Louis-Dreyfus or Courtney Cox is just as good.

Not everyone becomes Jennifer Aniston after playing one role (she did that for 10 years though) but not everyone needs to become Jennifer Aniston. Becoming Julia Louis-Dreyfus or Courtney Cox is just as good.

Yugh, I don't want EBR to become like Jennifer Aniston. Hopefully she becomes a Tina Fey/Amy Poehler lite. Because they're who everyone should aspire to be :p

• Love 4

is becoming Jennifer Aniston a good thing? I haven't seen or really heard of a single movie she did that is worth watching since that one where she the older woman sleeping with the younger man.. (sorry totally blanking on the name).

I don't know, I've never been much of an Aniston fan. she's a good actress, and I loved Rachel but..haa.

if anything i'd say Courtney Cox had far better success than Aniston did.

She was nominated for the Teen Choice Breakout Star. So I think that gives her the title? Stephen Amell was on two huge shows before Arrow: The Vampire Diaries and Private Practice, and would have had an expanded role in Private Practice if it hadn't been for him getting Arrow.

He had a substantial role on Hung too.

• Love 1

Willa could be the dark horse...as far as I know she's the only one who worked this hiatus (although I wouldn't call her a break out because of the OC) 

LOL I know this conversation ended a while ago and don't know why I'm restarting it but EBR filmed Brooklyn and Colton Haynes filmed a 3D action-adventure film called San Andreas. It's hard to say how well all the actors will do after the show. EBR is great but actors always have such a hard time switching from tv to movies, I'm interested to see how all the actors careers are after this. 

One small thing that I noticed from the date:  Felicity immediately insisting that they'd already covered everything anyone would talk about on a first date, second date, third date, and so on. Now, obviously most of that was to assure the audience that these two know each other, and are friends first, love interests second, and also to set up that shirtless joke, and Oliver's major speech, but the thing is: Felicity hasn't covered everything anyone would talk about on a first date, at least, not in front of the audience. So I'm left wondering: was she immediately trying to deflect Oliver using this first date to find out more about her history - something that she's not ready to talk about yet until she's absolutely sure this is going to work (and in retrospect, good call, Felicity, but then the one thing Felicity can be certain about is that Oliver Queen is a walking emotional mess), and Oliver knew her well enough to go with it, and reassure her that he was still holding back a few things as well, but this was ok, or, am I just reading too much into this?

• Love 7

It's an interesting theory, but I took her statement at face value and thought she meant just what she said -- they are so far past the "getting to know you" chit-chat stage, and because of that, their date was much more momentous than your average first date. Kind of like they were on the precipice of going "all in" or not and they both knew it, hence the three benzo level nervousness, LOL.

• Love 8

So I'm left wondering: was she immediately trying to deflect Oliver using this first date to find out more about her history - something that she's not ready to talk about yet until she's absolutely sure this is going to work

Or maybe there are things about her that she doesn't want him to know even now .... maybe not ever.  Or at least until the grandchildren are grown.

We've waited so long for Felicity's back story, I really hope it's worth the wait.

• Love 2

It's an interesting theory, but I took her statement at face value and thought she meant just what she said -- they are so far past the "getting to know you" chit-chat stage, and because of that, their date was much more momentous than your average first date. Kind of like they were on the precipice of going "all in" or not and they both knew it, hence the three benzo level nervousness, LOL.

OMG. Did she not look totally delectable when she mentioned that she too 3 Benzos?

• Love 1

Felicity was too adorable in that restaurant scene. The way she immediately read how nervous Oliver looked. Her "form lines behind me" quip. The "Benzos" admission (did Oliver looked a bit panicked when she declined wine? I laughed at his expression). And the whole "shirtless" thing ... was too cute!

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 3

From the "Target Practice" thread:

Felicity has some funny lines and I don't dislike her, but I don't really relate to nebbishy characters like that.  I kind of prefer straightforward ass-kickers.

I had never heard the word nebbish before, so I looked it up to see what you meant.  According to the Urban Dictionary, it means: "A 'sad sack', a loser, a person who can't make any thing or any situation work right for him or her; unassertive, shy, timid.  Reference: The Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten.  His definition is "An innocuous, ineffectual, weak, helpless or hapless unfortunate."

Gotta say, IMO nothing describes Felicity less than that.  I'd say she's pretty much the opposite of nebbish.

Edited by Ceylon5
  • Love 16

Gotta say, IMO nothing describes Felicity less than that.  I'd say she's pretty much the opposite of nebbish.

Adjectives that do NOT describe Felicity:

• Nebbish (this is a new one :p)
  • Mary Sue
  • Weak
  • Love-sick puppy

Please add on to the list if you want. 

It makes me kind of sad to see people use these terms when describing Felicity. I guess I'm just protective of her :p 

No but seriously. Anyone who insists that Felicity is any of these should read this: http://www.themovienetwork.com/article/arrow-shows-greatest-hero-heroine-felicity-smoak

• Love 10

Adjectives that do NOT describe Felicity:

• Nebbish (this is a new one :p)
  • Mary Sue
  • Weak
  • Love-sick puppy

I wouldn't say any of those describe her either. She's hardly a sad sack or unassertive, makes too many mistakes/bad decisions to be a Mary Sue, brought down a Mirakuru-powered Slade and took a bullet for Sara so she's definitely not weak, and frequently called out Oliver on his bullshit throughout S1 and S2 which isn't something a love-sick puppy would do either. Felicity has her faults but a lot of the common critiques you've mentioned that I see in various places around the internet don't really fit the reality.

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 6

I like Jeremy Jahns, I follow him on YouTube. I generally agree with his reviews, my big disagreement is on Whedon stuff, way too Whedonite for me.

Just watched and I loved his take on Felicity and Olicity. I disagreed on 2A being better than 2B but I think his reasoning is clear for why he felt that way.

He's funny he only reviewed S1 right before SDVC because of Manu (he interviewed him) so he wanted background for Arrow, he avoided it because of Smallville but ended up loving S1.

Edited by Morrigan2575

It's been interesting to see how male fans react to Felicity. For me, at least. She's not really a "cool girl" type (tm Gillian Flynn)--she's too much of a geek and girly girl for that--or even a typical comic book female (she's an awkward babbling goof) but I hear nothing but how in love most of them are with her. Watching male YouTube reviewers is always the funniest. Not that I blame them, of course. I appreciate that she defies convention as to what is typically sexy because anytime a TV show can write female diversity and make it attractive to the audience is gold to me.

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 3

I wouldn't say any of those describe her either. She's hardly a sad sack or unassertive, makes too many mistakes/bad decisions to be a Mary Sue, brought down a Mirakuru-powered Slade and took a bullet for Sara so she's definitely not weak, and frequently called out Oliver on his bullshit throughout S1 and S2 which isn't something a love-sick puppy would do either. Felicity has her faults but a lot of the common critiques you've mentioned that I see in various places around the internet don't really fit the reality.

I totally agree. Her critics are usually the ones who try to describe her that way; it's like how they want to see her as opposed to how she really is. Even reporters are guilty of using these inaccurate descriptions (which drive me nuts). One of the things that really gets my goat is when they try to dismiss Felicity as somebody who just drools over Oliver and is a lovesick puppy. And the example they use is from a scene in the first season where Oliver is working out and Felicity is looking up at him. Drooling?!? Well, who the heck wasn't?!?! LOL!

Seriously, though, all I saw in that scene was a girl enjoying the view (the guy was flexing above her computers, for goodness' sake), having a healthy appreciation for the beauty of the male form. I love that she's always stood up to Oliver, have never been shy about using her loud voice with him. That's one of the reasons I loved the hallway scene. She was the one who walked away. Is that something a lovesick puppy would do? Nope!

• Love 7

I seem to remember Oliver "drooling" over Felicity in 1x15 when she wore that gold dress, even though no one ever describes Oliver as a lovesick puppy.

LOL, exactly. He did it when he first saw her on their date too. If anyone's acting like the lovesick puppy, it's Oliver. They don't call him Oliver "Heart Eyes" Queen for nothing. Felicity may openly ogle his physique but nothing beats how Oliver looks at her in certain scenes like on the beach in that S2 finale.

• Love 1

I absolutely adore how openly she appreciates his body. Even on the date she mentioned him being shirtless. All. The. Time. That doesn't seem like a negative rather than a woman unashamed of appreciating a fine specimen. Heeeey.

• Love 6

It's been interesting to see how male fans react to Felicity. For me, at least. She's not really a "cool girl" type (tm Gillian Flynn)--she's too much of a geek and girly girl for that--or even a typical comic book female (she's an awkward babbling goof) but I hear nothing but how in love most of them are with her. Watching male YouTube reviewers is always the funniest. Not that I blame them, of course. I appreciate that she defies convention as to what is typically sexy because anytime a TV show can write female diversity and make it attractive to the audience is gold to me.

I think the writers did not write her that way or at least they did not intend to. The character of Felicity owes most of the popularity to how EBR played her. She is the one who added nuance, inflections and quirks that made her so endearing and then we all fell in love. The rest, as they say, is history.

• Love 6

I think the writers did not write her that way or at least they did not intend to. The character of Felicity owes most of the popularity to how EBR played her. She is the one who added nuance, inflections and quirks that made her so endearing and then we all fell in love. The rest, as they say, is history.

Yes! On paper, the "We've exhausted first-date conversation"/"Shirtless all the time" lines would have made me groan, imagining anyone other than EBR saying them. But her line readings made that part of the scene so funny and endearing to me. She does that a lot, and she acts in the background, which is one of my favorite things. Even when she's not the focus of a scene, you can still see her reacting to the people who are, and that demonstrates a level of commitment and attention to her acting that I really appreciate.

• Love 3

Oh I didn't think they set out to make her the object of male affection. My point was that the writers gave her a certain persona that one wouldn't normally associate with the "hot chick" or "object of male desire" and yet they still seem to respond to her even more than most of the more conventionally hot female characters on the show. Clearly a lot of her quirks and adorableness are attributed to EBR's wonderful portrayal of her--it also helps that EBR is such a naturally pretty woman--but even in that Jeremy Jahns review that was posted he mentions she's attractive because she's "geeky in all the right ways" which is more of a Felicity attribute rather than an EBR one. I just think it's really interesting and hope it continues to break the mold.

• Love 1

Anyone notice how Felicity's wardrobe became much more attractive by season 2? Season one was odd sweaters, jeans, and button up shirts. Season 2 she was full fledged dress all the time. Do you think that had to do with her being upped to a series regular and an effort to make Felicity more attractive? Or do you perhaps think that could have been a character choice -- i.e. Felicity is feeling more confident about herself after Season 1 and working with the Arrow?

From the "Target Practice" thread:

I had never heard the word nebbish before, so I looked it up to see what you meant.  According to the Urban Dictionary, it means: "A 'sad sack', a loser, a person who can't make any thing or any situation work right for him or her; unassertive, shy, timid.  Reference: The Joys of Yiddish, by Leo Rosten.  His definition is "An innocuous, ineffectual, weak, helpless or hapless unfortunate."

Well I didn't consult the dictionary first.  I was using 'nebbish' more in a self-effacing Woody Allen sort of manifestation as I've always understood it.  I just don't really relate or respond to self-effacing humor, which seems to me to be a staple of Felicity humor?  Also was not looking to start a flame war over it.  Was just stating my myriad legitimate reasons in the bitterness thread for being bitter, and how I don't really relate to any of the characters left now that they've killed off a couple strong women I preferred.  

Anyone notice how Felicity's wardrobe became much more attractive by season 2? Season one was odd sweaters, jeans, and button up shirts. Season 2 she was full fledged dress all the time. Do you think that had to do with her being upped to a series regular and an effort to make Felicity more attractive? Or do you perhaps think that could have been a character choice -- i.e. Felicity is feeling more confident about herself after Season 1 and working with the Arrow?

Well she was wearing a skirt when Oliver first met her and when she found him bloodied in her car, so I don't think the dresses were out-of-character. But yes, her wardrobe definitely became more fashionable and womanly in S2, which probably did have something to do with the EPs moving towards the Oliver/Felicity route coming off S1. I don't really think it was necessary though. I never found her clothes to be unattractive. They did think that taking away her glasses and wearing her hair down would make her more attractive but thank heavens EBR fought against them for the sake of the character and ultimately prevailed.

Well I didn't consult the dictionary first.  I was using 'nebbish' more in a self-effacing Woody Allen sort of manifestation as I've always understood it.  I just don't really relate or respond to self-effacing humor, which seems to me to be a staple of Felicity humor?  Also was not looking to start a flame war over it.  Was just stating my myriad legitimate reasons in the bitterness thread for being bitter, and how I don't really relate to any of the characters left now that they've killed off a couple strong women I preferred.

I didn't take offense to it and didn't think you were being malicious either. I know people who don't care for the character for that very reason. They find Felicity too babbly and don't much appreciate her humor. It's all good.

• Love 1

I think the wardrobe upgrade was also largely due to her becoming a regular.  The costume dept probably got a better budget for her character and I think they just like dressing her in fashionable clothes and decided to take the opportunity.  The wardrobe upgrade also fit with her job upgrade (I know, not everybody thinks her clothes are always EA appropriate); to me it seems the costumer is going more for a fashionable than real-world sensibility.

• Love 5

I was going to say the same thing as JenMD, which makes me happy, because I remember her fondly from our days on the TWoP Alias boards. *waves*

I was also going to say I'm pretty sure there was no budget for Felicity's clothes before she became a regular. She was probably just wearing clothes from the assortment of clothes they have for relatively minor guest stars. I think I counted two or three times she wore the pink oxford she was wearing in her first scene. And she wore the skirt from that scene at least a couple of times too. 

I definitely agree that her wardrobe upgrade was, in large part, a function of being Oliver's EA. In any event, I didn't mind Felicity's clothes before, but I like the idea that the IT girl is also a clotheshorse and a shoe queen. I'm mostly just glad she's not a goth or a total tomboy, since those seem to be the usual IT/smart/nerdy girl TV wardrobe tropes.

• Love 4

Aw, :::waves right back at ya, KenyaJ:::, I remember you, too!  Those were the days... 

Yeah, I like that they've established a fashion sense for Felicity, colorful and fun, whether it was by accident or design. 

Yeah, they definitely didn't have much of a clothes budget for her in the first season. I guess they really weren't expecting to have to clothe another female character, especially one who was appearing in more scenes. I've always wondered whether the gold dress she wore in the "Dodger" episode was "borrowed" from "The Vampire Diaries" or something Arrow bought. Caroline wore the same dress in an earlier episode.

Oh I didn't think they set out to make her the object of male affection. My point was that the writers gave her a certain persona that one wouldn't normally associate with the "hot chick" or "object of male desire" and yet they still seem to respond to her even more than most of the more conventionally hot female characters on the show. Clearly a lot of her quirks and adorableness are attributed to EBR's wonderful portrayal of her--it also helps that EBR is such a naturally pretty woman--but even in that Jeremy Jahns review that was posted he mentions she's attractive because she's "geeky in all the right ways" which is more of a Felicity attribute rather than an EBR one. I just think it's really interesting and hope it continues to break the mold.

Oh yes, but I guess the combination of the fact that she is a pretty girl, very smart, excellent with technology, feminine with all her colourful dresses, friendly and really caring and loving made her into an object of affection for a lot of male fans. Between the writers and Emily Bett Rickards, they have created a character that every female wants to be best friends with and a lot of male fans want to date her. A character that everyone feels deeply about so yeah, a great own for everyone.

• Love 1

I really like the way in all her interviews that she's grateful for having the opportunity to play Felicity, even though without her, there would not have been Felicity Smoak-member-of-Team-Arrow, and how she's always so gracious about the other members of the cast.

• Love 1

Emily owned this episode 3x02. Felicity's grief over Sara's death was most profound.  

As an audience member, I got sad because Felicity made me sad for the loss of a warrior princess and her friend and how it has spurred her to move on because life is precious and she wants to honor her friend’s memory by living it to the fullest.

• Love 5

WRT to episode 3x02

I just realised that they didn't show more of Felicity grieving but I felt her grieving more (Comparing Oliver, who refused to, and Laurel, who kept flinging herself at Oliver during the team scenes. I don't include Roy and Diggle because they were much more in the background than the other three). Beautiful.

That being said in the tête-à-tête with Oliver I think I found what makes it feel like overacting. Her facial expressions are perfect but when cries/acts emotional her voice tends to go higher which makes it feel more dramatic and OTT. But for someone so young and with this as her primary experience, her acting instincts and subtlety when displaying layered emotions are fantastic to watch. 

Edited by fantique
  • Love 2

I'm glad she's getting a life outside of Oliver.  Having her whole world revolve around him was really unhealthy, and I don't know why they took the storyline there with her in the first place.  Since they did, though, maybe him backing off from a relationship with her is a blessing in (heavy) disguise, as it has prompted her to begin to fulfil her intellectual potential somewhere other than in the Lair, and be recognised professionally and financially for her work and her gifts.  I think she needs a bit of space from Oliver and from all things Arrow.

The question, really, is why Felicity needed Oliver and his work to inspire her in the first place.  She knows she's brilliant, and she has the academic credentials to back her up, so why was she working such a low-level job at QC in the first place?  I hope we'll find out a bit more in this regard in the upcoming Felicity episode.

• Love 3
She knows she's brilliant, and she has the academic credentials to back her up, so why was she working such a low-level job at QC in the first place?

Maybe even brilliant recent MIT graduates sometimes take entry-level positions to pay the bills?  She's fairly recently out of college, right?  And do we know it was low-level? I would imagine there would be some fairly sophisticated stuff that would need to be done by IT people as a multi-national company like Queen Consolidated. I'm fairly uninformed about how IT works, so I may have no idea what I'm talking about. But that initial position didn't seem out of place to me.