Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E02: Love Letters

• Start Topic

A sleep-deprived Moira worries about a stack of old love letters addressed to Johnny from another woman, while David and Stevie are held up at David's store.

Original Canadian air date: 1/15/19
Original American air date: 1/16/19

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I knew straight away that the love letters would be from Moira and that she had simply forgotten.

I don't understand why Patrick was downplaying the robbery. I don't have an issue with how Stevie and David reacted. 

• Like 1
  • Love 13

I thought it was sweet that Alexis made the effort to get her locket back from Twyla. Although she was still lying and being sneaky with both Ted and Twyla, her heart was in the right place because she didn't want to hurt Ted's feelings.

Who the hell goes to Schitt's Creek to rob a store? But I had to laugh that David's initial reaction to a masked burglar in the store was to ask, "How can I help you?"

• Love 14

I didn't like the Alexis plot at all, I just react to manipulation and lying, just be honest....oh, then there would be no plot. It always just seems not only irritating of the character but also of the writers doing it just for the drama! 

In general the relationship between Alexis and the doctor jut doesn't work for me. I mean, I like Alexis but I don't get why he is with her, she is a terrible girlfriend. Self-centred, forgetting about dates they made, etc. 

I thought her dynamic was much better with the other guy, bc he actually called her on her bullshit and challenged her in different ways.

Anyway I really enjoyed the rest of the ep.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 4
On 1/16/2019 at 6:33 PM, GSManiac said:

I don't understand why Patrick was downplaying the robbery. I don't have an issue with how Stevie and David reacted. 

The best thing about the robbery was it caused me to wonder during the police interview: wait....did the robber have a gun? 

[Upon rewatch: he didn't].

• Love 3

I thought this one was kind of dumb (although, still funny). I fully expected Stevie to ask the robber to show his gun. Even I wouldn't fall for that. If you have a gun you show it, you don't hide it in your coat. Sure maybe David would fall for that, but Stevie? I'm so disappointed in her.

I got a kick out of John's growing alarm as Roland described all the people he'd discussed the letters with. "Gwen thinks you're a sex-aholic."

• Love 4
On 1/18/2019 at 7:24 PM, iMonrey said:

I thought this one was kind of dumb (although, still funny). I fully expected Stevie to ask the robber to show his gun. Even I wouldn't fall for that. If you have a gun you show it, you don't hide it in your coat. Sure maybe David would fall for that, but Stevie? I'm so disappointed in her.

It's actually pretty common for robbers to indicate they have a gun in their jacket or pocket (I have to read a lot of police reports for work), and it's also common for their victims to err on the side of caution and hand over whatever they want rather than risk that it is a real gun. Of course, yeah, it became clear towards the end this guy probably didn't have a gun (though he could've had a holster) but in the real world I think the police would've still taken this seriously. 

• Like 1
  • Love 11

It's actually pretty common for robbers to indicate they have a gun in their jacket or pocket (I have to read a lot of police reports for work), and it's also common for their victims to err on the side of caution and hand over whatever they want rather than risk that it is a real gun. 

That's when they don't want to draw the attention of other customers or employees, like if they're robbing a bank and trying to be discreet about it. Nobody was in the apothecary except David and Stevie. I know it was just supposed to be silly and funny but I'm surprised Stevie bought it. Then again . . . this show takes place in Canada, right? Maybe Canadians aren't as used to guns as we Yanks are.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 9:20 PM, retrograde said:

It's actually pretty common for robbers to indicate they have a gun in their jacket or pocket (I have to read a lot of police reports for work), and it's also common for their victims to err on the side of caution and hand over whatever they want rather than risk that it is a real gun. Of course, yeah, it became clear towards the end this guy probably didn't have a gun (though he could've had a holster) but in the real world I think the police would've still taken this seriously. 

I used to work as a bank teller. The one time the person next to me was robbed, that's exactly what happened. A note and a bulge in the jacket. Our robbery training says to always give the robber what they want. It's not worth the risk that there could be a gun and that's what insurance is for. I get that this guy wasn't trying to be subtle with the mask, but it's still smart not to take the chance and I was annoyed that Patrick and the police officer didn't take the robbery seriously.

• Like 1
  • Love 14

They definitely should have taken the robbery seriously. It's not worth taking the risk challenging someone who MIGHT have a gun or other weapon, and also, when taken by surprise like that, in a situation where they weren't expecting danger, most people would be freaked out and not thinking clearly. They wouldn't be able to stand there and calmly assess the situation and decide he probably didn't really have a gun. Say they did challenge him. What then? Maybe he runs off, but maybe he attacks them with whatever is to hand. You don't know where the boundaries might be with someone who is already blatantly crossing boundaries of what is acceptable behavior. Better to just give up a few material goods and report it to the police and insurance. Although I also wonder how far a robber could get in such a small town without anyone noticing him. Maybe it's time for the town council to install a few security cameras on the streets.

5 hours ago, vibeology said:

I used to work as a bank teller. The one time the person next to me was robbed, that's exactly what happened. A note and a bulge in the jacket. Our robbery training says to always give the robber what they want. It's not worth the risk that there could be a gun and that's what insurance is for. I get that this guy wasn't trying to be subtle with the mask, but it's still smart not to take the chance and I was annoyed that Patrick and the police officer didn't take the robbery seriously.

When I worked in retail many years ago, the instructions were the same: your life and safety are worth more than whatever's in the till; just give it to them.

• Like 1
  • Love 13
On 1/28/2019 at 4:09 PM, SmithW6079 said:

Until the police got involved, I thought Patrick was the robber to reach David and Stevie some kind of lesson because the robber was so obviously incompetent.

I thought the same thing.

• Love 4
On 1/22/2019 at 3:49 PM, iMonrey said:

Nobody was in the apothecary except David and Stevie. I know it was just supposed to be silly and funny but I'm surprised Stevie bought it. Then again . . . this show takes place in Canada, right? Maybe Canadians aren't as used to guns as we Yanks are.

Sometimes I think they do stuff for the American market. The show is supposed to be taking place in the U.S., even though they're not fooling anybody. 🙂  So, even though nobody in Canada has probably even seen a gun, or a robber pretending to have a gun, the writers are using their imaginations. Sweet, innocent dears.

• Love 1
On 1/28/2019 at 4:09 PM, SmithW6079 said:

Until the police got involved, I thought Patrick was the robber to teach David and Stevie some kind of lesson because the robber was so obviously incompetent.

It didn't help that he had a similar build and voice to Patrick. That was unfortunate casting.

David was actually a lot braver than most people would have been. David's response of "our money isn't for sale" when the guy asked for the contents of the cash register was more flippant than the typical response of "I'll give you whatever you want, just don't hurt me."

• Love 4
On 1/16/2019 at 8:17 AM, cleo said:

I didn't like the Alexis plot at all, I just react to manipulation and lying, just be honest....oh, then there would be no plot. It always just seems not only irritating of the character but also of the writers doing it just for the drama! 

In general the relationship between Alexis and the doctor jut doesn't work for me. I mean, I like Alexis but I don't get why he is with her, she is a terrible girlfriend. Self-centred, forgetting about dates they made, etc. 

I thought her dynamic was much better with the other guy, bc he actually called her on her bullshit and challenged her in different ways.

Anyway I really enjoyed the rest of the ep.

I agree but it probably has to do with her being the most beautiful girl he’s ever seen...a bit shallow and disappointing.

• Love 2

I can see that from Ted's perspective. The show's insistence on certain pairings and having romance (uninteresting romance imo) be the primary focus ultimately drove me away though. I was kind of sad about it, as it's rare I can watch Canadian comedies. 

I think I'm in the minority though, other people loved it.

• Love 1
On 1/16/2019 at 7:53 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Who the hell goes to Schitt's Creek to rob a store? But I had to laugh that David's initial reaction to a masked burglar in the store was to ask, "How can I help you?"

We've been watching the entire series on the CBC website and just saw this episode today.

These days, a masked customer is the only kind you want in your store. 😉

• Love 3

I went to Goodwood the day they were filming this episode.  We were allowed to watch as long as we were quiet and didn't have zoom lenses on our camera.  I can't believe the amount of time it took them just to shoot the cop leaving the store and walking towards the cafe, and they had to have the same extras walking past the store and across the street every time.  My friends and I sat outside Cafe Tropical and we briefly saw Dan, Noah and Stevie.  Eugene was also there that day, directing, but we didn't see him.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

I've just made it through the end of Season 5 of this show on Netflix and have been reading through the forums.

I actually thought it was smart of David to suggest the wine since they didn't have cash to give the angry robber.  The guy could have been armed, and even unarmed he could have been dangerous.  The wine was clever, and the cheese was funny.

• Like 1
  • Love 1