Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

I can’t believe for 50th reunion LHOP is coming to my state.  Never happened. CT

image.thumb.jpeg.0826fded36f3cd19cd4938907751a208.jpegLHOTP original cast members scheduled to appear will include: Dean Butler (Almanzo Wilder)Melissa Gilbert (Laura Ingalls)Charlotte Stewart (Miss Beadle)Melissa (Missy) Francis (Casandra Ingalls)Alison Arngrim (Nasty Nellie)Allison Balson (Nasty Nancy Olsen)Lucy Lee Flippen (Eliza Jane Wilder)Pamela Roylance (Sarah Carter)Stan Ivar (John Carter)David Friedman (Jason Carter)Wendi Lou Lee (Grace Ingalls)Jennifer Donati (baby Rose Wilder)Olivia Barash (Sylvia Webb)Karen Grassle (Caroline Ingalls)Gil Gerard- (Chris Nelson)Leslie Landon-Matthews (Miss Plum)Victor & Tracy French (Victor French’s Children) & special guest, Susan McCray (casting director for LHOTP).

Three BIG days of fun, as we celebrate 50th 

I was surprised to see Gil Gerard after what Karen wrote about him  ;) 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
On 11/6/2023 at 10:21 AM, debraran said:

I can’t believe for 50th reunion LHOP is coming to my state.  Never happened. CT

image.thumb.jpeg.0826fded36f3cd19cd4938907751a208.jpegLHOTP original cast members scheduled to appear will include: Dean Butler (Almanzo Wilder)Melissa Gilbert (Laura Ingalls)Charlotte Stewart (Miss Beadle)Melissa (Missy) Francis (Casandra Ingalls)Alison Arngrim (Nasty Nellie)Allison Balson (Nasty Nancy Olsen)Lucy Lee Flippen (Eliza Jane Wilder)Pamela Roylance (Sarah Carter)Stan Ivar (John Carter)David Friedman (Jason Carter)Wendi Lou Lee (Grace Ingalls)Jennifer Donati (baby Rose Wilder)Olivia Barash (Sylvia Webb)Karen Grassle (Caroline Ingalls)Gil Gerard- (Chris Nelson)Leslie Landon-Matthews (Miss Plum)Victor & Tracy French (Victor French’s Children) & special guest, Susan McCray (casting director for LHOTP).

Three BIG days of fun, as we celebrate 50th 

I was surprised to see Gil Gerard after what Karen wrote about him  ;) 

Well, they're both currently single. . .

• LOL 1
7 hours ago, Blergh said:

Well, they're both currently single. . .

“My attraction to Gil gave me an adrenaline rush, the work had gone well, and tension over my contract was in the past,” the Little House star recalled. “All was right with my world. Wasn’t it?”“He had that charisma many women find irresistible,” she remarked of Gerard. “When he showed up on the set, even the little girls sat up and took notice. He was sweet and hard-working and endeared himself to all of us women – young and old.”

Hmm, maybe if he held onto the tool belt. ; )

• LOL 1

IIRC, a few years before the end of his life, ML got a facelift along with this 3rd wife Cindy. Funnily enough, ML insisted that these his and hers facelifts were because his 30-something wife was blue about appearing older and he only went under the knife to cheer HER up! Yeah,  natch, that the 50-something ML stayed such a youthful Adonis to the very end despite smoking like a chimney and drinking 'socially' like a fish for decades. I'm amazed that he didn't attempt to claim that he had to show ID to vote since he was too youthful looking to pass for an adult. SHEESH what an ego and WHO did he think he was fooling!

At least, he let Pa have SOME angst about getting older and a sense of humor about himself!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

IIRC, a few years before the end of his life, ML got a facelift along with this 3rd wife Cindy. Funnily enough, ML insisted that these his and hers facelifts were because his 30-something wife was blue about appearing older and he only went under the knife to cheer HER up! Yeah,  natch, that the 50-something ML stayed such a youthful Adonis to the very end despite smoking like a chimney and drinking 'socially' like a fish for decades. I'm amazed that he didn't attempt to claim that he had to show ID to vote since he was too youthful looking to pass for an adult. SHEESH what an ego and WHO did he think he was fooling!

At least, he let Pa have SOME angst about getting older and a sense of humor about himself!

I remember thinking Cindy did not need a face lift but what a world they live in. I am glad he let Charles go grey on show. Most of them don't look great no matter how much money they have to pay the doctor.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jason88cubs said:

Random, but I don't recall EVER seeing fall time, leaves all over the place scenery....

No leaves and they certainly couldn't show a harvest since Pa Ingalls never grew a successful crop. 😂

• Wink 2
  • LOL 1
On 11/11/2023 at 3:33 PM, crazy8s said:

No leaves and they certainly couldn't show a harvest since Pa Ingalls never grew a successful crop. 😂

Charles: Looks like a successful crop this year!

(Next day hails)

(next year)

Charles: Now here we go, a crop of success

(Next day tornado)

(The next year)

Charles: Third time is the charm right (winks)

(Next day a flood

(The next year))

Charles: Let's think positive. A successful crop is on the agenda

(day goes by nothing happens)

Charles: I told you all this was the year!

(next day freeze and blizzard comes through)

Charles: I spoke too soon..........

Caroline: Oh Charles don't worry we have your violin to sell if needed

Charles: How dare you talk about my violin like that!

• LOL 3
7 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

(Next day hails)

(next year)

(Next day tornado)

(The next year)

(Next day a flood

(The next year))

Charles: I spoke too soon..........

Then Pa "Cash on the Barrel" Ingalls gets offended because the Olesons think he's a credit risk, so they won't extend him any credit. LMAO 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
16 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

(Next day hails)

(next year)

(Next day tornado)

(The next year)

(Next day a flood

(The next year))

Charles: I spoke too soon.........

Charles: What did you pay the Winoka pawn shop to get the violin back for Mary's birthday party?

Caroline: Nothing.

Charles:Nothing?

Caroline: They refused to be believe it could be played with the bow a foot away from the strings!

8 hours ago, Zella said:

Then Pa "Cash on the Barrel" Ingalls gets offended because the Olesons think he's a credit risk, so they won't extend him any credit. LMAO 

Maybe they're afraid he'll pay his bills in Monopoly money. . .

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 2
  • LOL 2

Yes, even when the weather just hit the little house and not anyone else's you wonder why he just didn't try being a blacksmith. ; )  I think after the rapiest died, it was open. Even when the crops were okay, a kid would get kicked by a horse, the only one doing chores it seems. Can't have a birthday or anniversary or holiday go well. Can't let Caroline have a trip that goes well, a reunion where everyone is not doing badly usually because they were  "well off". Can't have an old friend have a decent husband, Charles was last of the them in the big woods I guess. Can't move your family to the "bad city" without sacrificing the smart, street savvy one to morphine because Albert would do that.....wasn't enough to burn down a school, kill his sister's baby and friends mom, I'll go crazy and make Pa take me back to Walnut Grove, because detoxing in the bad city is impossible. I can go back there later though.

You just have to love it. ; )

• Like 3

I just read that Jonathan's wife on the show is going to be at the reunion in Ct too. I wouldn't bother her about it, but I did wonder about her relationship if any to him since they had so many scenes together. Did he keep in touch with her or like her, that kind of stuff.

The show was going off the rails then, but I did like Jon's scenes with his dad and how mature he was. They tried to make the young couple not able to keep their hands off each other, something you didn't see with others, but the show was getting older and flagging in ratings .

Mike hated reunion shows but a couple of years later would have loved a 2 hour special with everyone meeting in the city or showing WG while Nel's and Harriet and Willie are getting ready to go to Nellie's for Thanksgiving. Something like that. Or vice versa. Alas it wasn't meant to be but it would have erased the last years I think and they wouldn't have aged that much in a few years (Mike's worry)

Edited by debraran
  • Like 3

Something that needs to be said re  Charles bringing the morphine-addicted Albert to Walnut Grove. Before the episode finished, Charles virtually spelled out that his original intention was to ABANDON Albert in Walnut Grove like a stray cat. Did Charles think that Half-Pint, Manly, Isaiah or even Harriet would have deserved to have had a rootless Albert lurking around raiding the sugar bins for a fix?

19 hours ago, Blergh said:

Something that needs to be said re  Charles bringing the morphine-addicted Albert to Walnut Grove. Before the episode finished, Charles virtually spelled out that his original intention was to ABANDON Albert in Walnut Grove like a stray cat. Did Charles think that Half-Pint, Manly, Isaiah or even Harriet would have deserved to have had a rootless Albert lurking around raiding the sugar bins for a fix?

I don't remember that...Wow. I thought it was odd he was made an addict, attracted to kids he wouldn't have liked,  but Michael did want to bring somethings in his life to the screen. (I think Cheryl his daughter had addiction issues) Suicide was another thing he had way to often and his mom used to pretend to do that. He had a lot of issues to work out in scripts.

Was that in a conversation with Doc? I must have glossed over it probably thinking the same thing you did. Wasn't show I wanted to watch a lot.

I just remember the kind storekeeper asking Charles why he left, and he said something about "failed crops" or whatever.  He did have him on another episode, a friend that had a heart attack while traveling with him.

I got the demonizing of the city, but they weren't all dens of sin, sure they had a saloon but not every shopkeeper was mean and insensitive and WG wasn't free from crime, rapists, racists and mayhem.

All I know is Caroline looked happy in the one episode of her on a telephone call and her home seemed very nice and she had so much room, you never saw Carrie or Grace or her other kids in any scene. I wish they showed more of it, eating dinner at a table with real plates, having a bathroom for Carrie, a bed not 2 feet from their grade school child.

I hated seeing the Carter's stuff in the little house...sure they had less kids but it was so crowded with things, like she downsized but didn't give enough away. : )

Edited by debraran
  • Like 1
On 11/16/2023 at 11:07 PM, Blergh said:

I think Harriet would have been OK with it. She was willing to live with attempted murderess Nancy. Say what you will about Albert and his addiction to morPHINE, he never killed or tried to kill anyone. Well, except for Mary’s baby. And Alice Garvey.

Edited by Egg McMuffin
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1

Okay, but that wasn't deliberate, just careless. I think the reason the actress who played Nancy stayed away from LHOP reunions was her character was disliked so much. Not her fault, but I think she's going this year and hoping most forgot the awful scripts she was paid to read. I think overall, she had some of the "you hate me" worst scripts of anyone on the show. So sad, Michael killed the show with having a sociopath on it. She was never redeemable and I'm not sure who in his life was like that, but it retrospect, it was sad. She wasn't even made that way by the system, she was like that when they got her which is worse.

I would have loved to see Harriet get a "Nellie" in looks but she was nice and you saw a different type of daughter, maybe overwhelmed by the things they had, but a normal kid. Harriet spoiled Nellie but Nellie wasn't evil. Vindictive and jealous at times but not evil.

Maybe the anger at the tabloids and his wife or the tarnish on Mike's image, IDK, but he lost focus and let the show die. Even Melissa G knew it toward the end. You felt you were just going through the motions.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 2

Lindsey and Sydney Greenbush and Allison Balson are three of the actresses I really feel sorry for because so many people hate Carrie and hate Nancy. 

Now Nancy was a psychopath or sociopath (I'm not sure which she would be), but I think that shows how great an actress Allison Balson was.  

I sometimes wonder if Carrie had been given a bigger part (like Carrie became a larger character in the books especially after Mary went to the blind school) and ML hadn't kept on adding more and more kids to the little house, if Lindsey and Sydney Greenbush would have become better.  But it felt like Carrie only had "toilet issues" and had to be there to support her newest brothers and sister.  

I don't blame any of them if they don't want much to do with the show even though I wish they would show up for the reunion. 

Allison Balson was a talented little actress. It’s the writing that failed her. If Nancy had been written as a mischievous little girl instead of as an evil clone of Nellie, her character would be more fondly remembered. She came off well in the episode where Willie got married, as well as the one where Harriet and Nels were kidnapped. But those were exceptions. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 11/22/2023 at 4:05 AM, debraran said:

Okay, but that wasn't deliberate, just careless. I think the reason the actress who played Nancy stayed away from LHOP reunions was her character was disliked so much. Not her fault, but I think she's going this year and hoping most forgot the awful scripts she was paid to read. I think overall, she had some of the "you hate me" worst scripts of anyone on the show. So sad, Michael killed the show with having a sociopath on it. She was never redeemable and I'm not sure who in his life was like that, but it retrospect, it was sad. She wasn't even made that way by the system, she was like that when they got her which is worse.

I would have loved to see Harriet get a "Nellie" in looks but she was nice and you saw a different type of daughter, maybe overwhelmed by the things they had, but a normal kid. Harriet spoiled Nellie but Nellie wasn't evil. Vindictive and jealous at times but not evil.

Maybe the anger at the tabloids and his wife or the tarnish on Mike's image, IDK, but he lost focus and let the show die. Even Melissa G knew it toward the end. You felt you were just going through the motions.

I agree! While Miss Arngrim has repeatedly said how Nellie saved from being overwhelmed via horrific abuse AND taught her how to stand up for herself so she's forever embraced the positive of the character, I can't recall Miss Balsam considering Nancy as anything more than a steady, regular role to play.

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 1

Watching the episode where Charles try to wave his wand with the horse dealer. I thought their chemistry and touching was much more than anything on The Handyman.Well maybe the touching, Chris was pretty sexy and nice guy. When Charles complimented her cooking and hands and after her husband rejected her, he put his hands on her from behind while she said she was invisible. Chris just caught Caroline when she was falling. : )

I kind of liked the Bonanza version better with Hoss.  He had a lazy day copying it but of course he had more flirting etc. on LHOP  Hoss was just such a big teddy bear.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
8 hours ago, debraran said:

Watching the episode where Charles try to wave his wand with the horse dealer. I thought their chemistry and touching was much more than anything on The Handyman.Well maybe the touching, Chris was pretty sexy and nice guy. When Charles complimented her cooking and hands and after her husband rejected her, he put his hands on her from behind while she said she was invisible. Chris just caught Caroline when she was falling. : )

I kind of liked the Bonanza version better with Hoss.  He had a lazy day copying it but of course he had more flirting etc. on LHOP  Hoss was just such a big teddy bear.

Thanks for sharing the link of that Bonanza episode I don't recall seeing before 'A Dream to Dream' (Season Nine, Episode 26, 1968). While I immediately recognized the young redhead son's performer as Johnny Whitaker, the mother Sarah Carter seemed familiar but what a surprise to do research and find that she was played by none other than that marvelous prolific performer Julie Harris (1925-2013) who'd done a phenomenal job playing the tomboy Frankie in A Member of the Wedding on Broadway and the 1952 movie! Anyway,  she wound up easily out-acting by circles Jenny Sullivan (born 1946) who played Leslie Harper in the LHOTP adaptation.  I found conveyed she conveyed Sarah's anguish over her husband Josh's self-destruction as well as her desperate need (but not love) for Hoss to rescue her and her children from being dragged down by her wounded mate. BTW, Josh Carter was played by the prolific performer Steve Ihnat (1934-1972) who'd been born in what's now Slovakia but had fled with his parents to Canada just three days before the NAZIs closed his birthplace's borders and sadly died of a heart attack at age 38 just a month after his son's birth!  Dan Blocker gave a tour-de-force performance here with Hoss being his usually fun big galoot but also himself believably  somewhat falling for the anguished Sarah and her children but wanting to do right by ALL members of the family (even when fighting back Josh's hopeless attempt to beat HIM up). Yes, Hoss himself was single and would have had no impediments getting married to Sarah after she had gotten a divorce (and it was far more believable that loaded Ben Cartwright's middle son would have  cash to spare to buy  horses from  the prosperous but anguished husband than Pa Ingalls). BTW, Dan Blocker (1928-1972) was far deeper than one might have imagined. I mean the Texas-born performer  even went so far as to refuse to appear at an event in the segregated State Coliseum  in Jackson, Mississippi in 1964 (though Canadian-born Lorne Greene and New Jersey born ML DID appear at this event). Oh, and Mr. Blocker himself  also started the Bonanza/Ponderosa Steakhouse franchise in 1963!

I also should add that Johnny Whitaker as young Timmy Carter gave an unexpectedly deep and believable performance as a young child who had no illusions about his parents' union but still cared enough about his wounded father to appeal to Hoss to see if he could give Josh one last chance to relearn to live again.

P.S. The name of the Carters' lost eldest son was Michael (as in the LHOTP version) but, not surprising since ML had helped write both episodes!   Still, it's interesting that either he and/or the Bonanza producers believed that Hoss/Mr. Blocker would be a better 'rescuer' than ML's Little Joe (whose lasting interest in any female usually meant a literal kiss of death for her). 

P.P.S. Though the episode ended with the Carters giving each other yet another chance, I have to wonder what the reactions of Ben and Little Joe would have been had they found out that Hoss had been willing to take on a miserably but still legally wed potential fiancee with children- to say nothing of him having done a LOT more than simply buy horses on this jaunt!  Somehow I think they'd have been more surprised at that turn of events than Narrator Laura would with Charles's (even though there was no hint of a 'Baby Hoss/Eric' being born 'two years later' in the former episode).

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
13 hours ago, Blergh said:

Thanks for sharing the link of that Bonanza episode I don't recall seeing before 'A Dream to Dream' (Season Nine, Episode 26, 1968). While I immediately recognized the young redhead son's performer as Johnny Whitaker, the mother Sarah Carter seemed familiar but what a surprise to do research and find that she was played by none other than that marvelous prolific performer Julie Harris (1925-2013) who'd done a phenomenal job playing the tomboy Frankie in A Member of the Wedding on Broadway and the 1952 movie! Anyway,  she wound up easily out-acting by circles Jenny Sullivan (born 1946) who played Leslie Harper in the LHOTP adaptation.  I found conveyed she conveyed Sarah's anguish over her husband Josh's self-destruction as well as her desperate need (but not love) for Hoss to rescue her and her children from being dragged down by her wounded mate. BTW, Josh Carter was played by the prolific performer Steve Ihnat (1934-1972) who'd been born in what's now Slovakia but had fled with his parents to Canada just three days before the NAZIs closed his birthplace's borders and sadly died of a heart attack at age 38 just a month after his son's birth!  Dan Blocker gave a tour-de-force performance here with Hoss being his usually fun big galoot but also himself believably  somewhat falling for the anguished Sarah and her children but wanting to do right by ALL members of the family (even when fighting back Josh's hopeless attempt to beat HIM up). Yes, Hoss himself was single and would have had no impediments getting married to Sarah after she had gotten a divorce (and it was far more believable that loaded Ben Cartwright's middle son would have  cash to spare to buy  horses from  the prosperous but anguished husband than Pa Ingalls). BTW, Dan Blocker (1928-1972) was far deeper than one might have imagined. I mean the Texas-born performer  even went so far as to refuse to appear at an event in the segregated State Coliseum  in Jackson, Mississippi in 1964 (though Canadian-born Lorne Greene and New Jersey born ML DID appear at this event). Oh, and Mr. Blocker himself  also started the Bonanza/Ponderosa Steakhouse franchise in 1963!

I also should add that Johnny Whitaker as young Timmy Carter gave an unexpectedly deep and believable performance as a young child who had no illusions about his parents' union but still cared enough about his wounded father to appeal to Hoss to see if he could give Josh one last chance to relearn to live again.

P.S. The name of the Carters' lost eldest son was Michael (as in the LHOTP version) but, not surprising since ML had helped write both episodes!   Still, it's interesting that either he and/or the Bonanza producers believed that Hoss/Mr. Blocker would be a better 'rescuer' than ML's Little Joe (whose lasting interest in any female usually meant a literal kiss of death for her). 

P.P.S. Though the episode ended with the Carters giving each other yet another chance, I have to wonder what the reactions of Ben and Little Joe would have been had they found out that Hoss had been willing to take on a miserably but still legally wed potential fiancee with children- to say nothing of him having done a LOT more than simply buy horses on this jaunt!  Somehow I think they'd have been more surprised at that turn of events than Narrator Laura would with Charles's (even though there was no hint of a 'Baby Hoss/Eric' being born 'two years later' in the former episode).

Yes, it was much better and thanks for all the extra info. I loved his performance and thought the baby born after Saint Charles left was a bit much but so Michael Landon. lol

I can't watch the LHOP version without wanting the acting performance from the original. Dan was a great actor and knocked this out of the park with subtle strokes instead of sledgehammer. All of them were excellent.

This short video from Johnny mentions what he remembers of that episode and Its so Dan to get him gifts and be kind.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 3
15 hours ago, debraran said:

Yes, it was much better and thanks for all the extra info. I loved his performance and thought the baby born after Saint Charles left was a bit much but so Michael Landon. lol

I can't watch the LHOP version without wanting the acting performance from the original. Dan was a great actor and knocked this out of the park with subtle strokes instead of sledgehammer. All of them were excellent.

This short video from Johnny mentions what he remembers of that episode and Its so Dan to get him gifts and be kind.

Even though young Mr. Whitaker's character was NOT the primary focus of that episode, it was great of Mr. Blocker to not just remember his preteen colleague's birthday but to have gifted him those chaps and that cowboy hat (too bad Mr. Whitaker lost track of them). Of course, it needs to be mentioned that Mr. Blocker had four children of his own even though Hoss stayed single and childless to his character's death.

To keep this ontopic, it's interesting that Mr. Whitaker recalls ML himself having visited the set during the three day shoot even though this storyline had zilch to do with any of the Cartwrights besides Hoss. I suppose he wanted to see for himself how his screenplay would be fleshed out by these performers (and having not just Mr. Blocker but the renowned Miss Harris and Mr. Ihnat as well as young Mr. Whitaker had to have been a big boon for ML).

• Like 2

One can't help but wonder if ML would have used Mr. Blocker to have played Isaiah Edwards had he still been in this world.     . ..

If they were on good terms I can't imagine him not using him at least once but he did have his son. I wished he came back again but that wasn't how it was with characters like that.

I just watched Annabelle the other day. This is a ridiculous episode. Why would you take the blind school children to the circus? Pa is sitting there laughing like an idiot and Mary has to keep asking him what is so funny. "Look out! There's a clown running with a bucket of water! He might throw it on you! Oh wait, it was confetti! Oh it was actual water this time! HAHAHAHA!!!" Harriet is the bad guy for commenting on how big the fat lady is, but that is the fat lady's entire schtick. Bratty Laura is jealous that Zaldamo is dating some snooty bitch so she decides to pour water on rip snooty bitch and rip her dress the poor girl is standing there in her underwear in front of the whole town. Then, for some reason, the snooty bitch is the bad guy for not laughing about being doused in water and exposed to the town. And "baby" Grace sits there the whole time just crying.

• Like 3
  • Applause 4
7 hours ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

I just watched Annabelle the other day. This is a ridiculous episode. Why would you take the blind school children to the circus? Pa is sitting there laughing like an idiot and Mary has to keep asking him what is so funny. "Look out! There's a clown running with a bucket of water! He might throw it on you! Oh wait, it was confetti! Oh it was actual water this time! HAHAHAHA!!!" Harriet is the bad guy for commenting on how big the fat lady is, but that is the fat lady's entire schtick. Bratty Laura is jealous that Zaldamo is dating some snooty bitch so she decides to pour water on rip snooty bitch and rip her dress the poor girl is standing there in her underwear in front of the whole town. Then, for some reason, the snooty bitch is the bad guy for not laughing about being doused in water and exposed to the town. And "baby" Grace sits there the whole time just crying.

I might be wrong, but in one bio book of the show, I think they said the crying was very real of course with Grace which is sad. She cried a lot, another time it didn't seem planned was when they moved back to Walnut Grove. Maybe it was Karen who mentioned it.

Yes it was silly and I don't understand how being "fat" for the circus is okay but no one is supposed to comment on it. Odd concept and the fact that she wasn't that huge, the clothes added to it. And Nel's never would have not seen his sister because of her weight or Harriet not know he had one. I'm not sure if that was the worst plot or the blind children there or Laura acting like a bitch and getting away with it again. I guess Monzo's girlfriend didn't realize she belonged in the big city with John Jr's . ; )

• Like 3
On 11/28/2023 at 7:37 PM, Zella said:

What Laura does to that girl absolutely appalls me. It's one of the main reasons I find older Laura absolutely insufferable. What a bitch. 

Not to mention, that the whole 'practical joke' of the other woman's clothes falling apart due to ONLY having been glued together and the glue coming apart via getting water dumped on them was bogus!

I mean, unless the other woman had somehow not moved or stretched in any way from the time she put on said clothes  over her drawers to the time she appeared at the circus, there's no way such flimsy attire wouldn't have previously fallen apart via sheer movement.

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

Watched the pilot movie the other night again. Never gets old

The deal of them crossing the Ingallses crossing the flooded river in the wagon with Jack trying to swim with them is rather nail-biting in that the viewer isn't so sure that they'll be able to safely make it across and one is ready to mourn the faithful Jack (and understand WHY Laura and Pa's bond has gotten strained while their dog's fate is unknown) so when Jack DOES return, it's quite a cathartic scene.

Alas, the show quickly ditched the whole 'pioneers struggling to provide their own basic necessities' deal very quickly on the series!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 12/7/2023 at 9:29 PM, Blergh said:

The deal of them crossing the Ingallses crossing the flooded river in the wagon with Jack trying to swim with them is rather nail-biting in that the viewer isn't so sure that they'll be able to safely make it across and one is ready to mourn the faithful Jack (and understand WHY Laura and Pa's bond has gotten strained while their dog's fate is unknown) so when Jack DOES return, it's quite a cathartic scene.

Alas, the show quickly ditched the whole 'pioneers struggling to provide their own basic necessities' deal very quickly on the series!

Charlotte Stewart talked of Karen wanting that but understanding later, the public wanted to think it was like LHOP. Part of interview  "

Stewart noted that Grassle often felt the series failed to realistically portray Midwestern farm life in the 1800s.

“[Grassle] thought the show was a bit too lightweight in its exploration of themes such as family, marriage relationships, the harshness of prairie life, and so on,” Stewart wrote. “She wanted the show to be grittier, as she said once in an interview, adding that at one point she felt like the show was ‘Let’s Pretend on the Prairie.’ She says she’s come to see it differently with time.”

• Like 3
On 12/9/2023 at 5:31 PM, debraran said:

Charlotte Stewart talked of Karen wanting that but understanding later, the public wanted to think it was like LHOP. Part of interview  "

Stewart noted that Grassle often felt the series failed to realistically portray Midwestern farm life in the 1800s.

“[Grassle] thought the show was a bit too lightweight in its exploration of themes such as family, marriage relationships, the harshness of prairie life, and so on,” Stewart wrote. “She wanted the show to be grittier, as she said once in an interview, adding that at one point she felt like the show was ‘Let’s Pretend on the Prairie.’ She says she’s come to see it differently with time.”

I wouldn't have minded occasional lightweight and/or humorous episodes but IMO, it was best in the first few years when there was still a sincere effort to depict the Ingallses as having to struggle and take serious risks just to survive instead of seeming to totally dump that gritty aspect for soapy stuff.

All the above said, I actually agree with ML's call that it would have been too much for Miss Grassle to have worn prosthetic gunk to 'age' her hands- even though I know that pioneer women putting their hands through all kinds of tasks wouldn't have looked as though they had just popped in from the manicurist!

• Like 2

I wouldn't have minded occasional lightweight and/or humorous episodes but IMO, it was best in the first few years when there was still a sincere effort to depict the Ingallses as having to struggle and take serious risks just to survive instead of seeming to totally dump that gritty aspect for soapy stuff.

All the above said, I actually agree with ML's call that it would have been too much for Miss Grassle to have worn prosthetic gunk to 'age' her hands- even though I know that pioneer women putting their hands through all kinds of tasks wouldn't have looked as though they had just popped in from the manicurist!

I agree, if it was just a movie, a one time thing, maybe. You can't change that viewers thought it was "real" any more than you can change minds now about things. I think like you, the ones with them trapped in a cabin during a blizzard with the Native American saving them was "gritty" for the show. I didn't need to see Pa skin an animal or Ma cook it, but mentioning the work was what she meant too. Everything just appeared done most of the time and she was always radiant. ; ) Seeing them make flour or Caroline plow a field was "gritty" for the show. I always wanted something, special on the Long Winter and how they survived but then you couldn't have Laura meeting an older man in the woods or finding a baby...well maybe you could, lol

• Like 2
13 hours ago, debraran said:

I agree, if it was just a movie, a one time thing, maybe. You can't change that viewers thought it was "real" any more than you can change minds now about things. I think like you, the ones with them trapped in a cabin during a blizzard with the Native American saving them was "gritty" for the show. I didn't need to see Pa skin an animal or Ma cook it, but mentioning the work was what she meant too. Everything just appeared done most of the time and she was always radiant. ; ) Seeing them make flour or Caroline plow a field was "gritty" for the show. I always wanted something, special on the Long Winter and how they survived but then you couldn't have Laura meeting an older man in the woods or finding a baby...well maybe you could, lol

That blizzard episode was so good!

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I was watching the All in the Family episode where Edith thought she had cancer. The nurse was played by Katherine MacGregor. It was odd but nice seeing her looking so modern (the 70's).

The episode was broadcast in 1973 (IOW about a year before LHOTP). Miss MacGregor was billed there as 'Scottie MacGregor' instead of 'Katharine. . .', Oh, and anyone watching it hoping for a battle between Archie Bunker and the Archie Bunker of the Prairie, forget it. They had Miss MacGregor play the role of a nurse rather straight with zero hint of Harriet's wackiness,sneakiness or cardboard villainy. I wonder if she might have known Carroll O'Connor when both were  still starving unknowns?

• Useful 1

MV5BZGNiYzA2MzEtOTlkNC00NjI2LTk1N2MtNTBkYWE3ZDRkMWVlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTM1ODI0Mw@@._V1_.thumb.jpg.7eea3d5503ea8876196a16a16ab982b7.jpg

6 hours ago, Blergh said:

The episode was broadcast in 1973 (IOW about a year before LHOTP). Miss MacGregor was billed there as 'Scottie MacGregor' instead of 'Katharine. . .', Oh, and anyone watching it hoping for a battle between Archie Bunker and the Archie Bunker of the Prairie, forget it. They had Miss MacGregor play the role of a nurse rather straight with zero hint of Harriet's wackiness,sneakiness or cardboard villainy. I wonder if she might have known Carroll O'Connor when both were  still starving unknowns?

I don't know about Katherine but Ketty did.  From her bio

"Ketty Lester talks to Ed about her love for acting, which began when she was a young girl in Arkansas; how she formally studied acting at Theatre West in Los Angeles (and befriended, among others, Carroll O’Connor); and how she successfully transitioned from nightclub singer to actress when the music industry changed in the late 1960s."

Edited by debraran
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
18 hours ago, debraran said:

MV5BZGNiYzA2MzEtOTlkNC00NjI2LTk1N2MtNTBkYWE3ZDRkMWVlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTM1ODI0Mw@@._V1_.thumb.jpg.7eea3d5503ea8876196a16a16ab982b7.jpg

I don't know about Katherine but Ketty did.  From her bio

"Ketty Lester talks to Ed about her love for acting, which began when she was a young girl in Arkansas; how she formally studied acting at Theatre West in Los Angeles (and befriended, among others, Carroll O’Connor); and how she successfully transitioned from nightclub singer to actress when the music industry changed in the late 1960s."

Archie Bunker and Hester Sue. ..? I know that Mr. O'Connor had little in common with his iconic character but. ..that's almost as hard to imagine as  Will Geer being Larry Linville's father-in-law for a time! Grandpa Walton being Frank Burns's father-in-law. ..

• Like 1

When Carroll did "in the Heat of the Night" Ketty starred in an episode called Gunshots. Maybe more, I don't know but nice they were friendly.

I would have LOVED a Katherine bio over all the rest of the ones written. She was spunky, honest and crazy, lol. Maybe not the type to do one but I would have loved it. Alas we have many, but it gets a bit much when the "babies" are writing them. ; )

Richard Bull also did a lot of TV that many missed or didn't know.

• Like 1
On 12/20/2023 at 4:25 AM, debraran said:

When Carroll did "in the Heat of the Night" Ketty starred in an episode called Gunshots. Maybe more, I don't know but nice they were friendly.

I would have LOVED a Katherine bio over all the rest of the ones written. She was spunky, honest and crazy, lol. Maybe not the type to do one but I would have loved it. Alas we have many, but it gets a bit much when the "babies" are writing them. ; )

Richard Bull also did a lot of TV that many missed or didn't know.

Before I say anything else, thanks for the screenshot of 'Nurse Harriett'!

Since Miss MacGregor DID state she was working on her autobio in at least one interview in her twilight years, I wonder how far along she might have gotten with it and did she have any heirs despite having no known surviving close relatives or did it wind up that the nursing home staff just dumped it with the rest of her belongings after her demise due to no one claiming anything.

Too bad.

As per Miss Arngrim, Dean Butler supposedly considered Miss MacGregor an acting mentor on the set (despite their characters usually at odds) so if he ever DOES an autobio, that might be interesting to find out his POV about her in particular.

BTW, so far none of the male performers have penned any autobios about their LHOTP experiences.

• Like 1

Yes, you are right, the males were quiet. A lot of "Albert" fans wanted a bio but he has also been very quiet.  No real  interviews with Matt. I know he played on the set with Jon but nothing on him either from his LHOP friends. I think there is a "do not tell" with some. If they lived longer and wanted some money I think Richard Bull might have or Doc Baker. He was vocal about  pay and things like that.

Thanks for reminding me about Katherine's bio. How sad. There was a great interview with her and Richard Bull and Karen and Dabbs in a magazine from a guy in the UK I think. I can't believe I gave it away to a fan. I would love to read it again. She was very honest about her dislike of Mr Landon at times and his affair and flaunting it, etc She also praised when deserved. I also loved how both of them , Richard and Katherine, spoke so highly of Jonathan Gilbert and no one else remembers him. Melissa Sue liked him and kept in touch with a friend of his for a while but everyone else was weird. Katherine thought Matt was slightly odd but Jon was bright and learned his lines and was a pleasure to work with. His mom not so much, She was all about Melissa. Magazine was called "Prairie Memories" by Patrick Loubatière. prairiememories.thumb.jpg.cb7ca12dee8affa938a5a89dfdc8308d.jpg

Edited by debraran
  • Like 1

I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible that MG may have threatened at least some of the surviving cast mates with a freeze (as in 'I'll never go to another reunion/con/meet-and-greet with you') if they openly said what may have happened to JG.

She sure seemed rather  . .. detached when mentioning how he amscrayed from the family when he became an adult in her autobio with more of 'never wanted him around in the first place so good riddance' tude than anything else!

I don't claim any 'inside info' and the above is pure speculation but I can't help but wonder if it could be possible. 

• Like 1