Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, debraran said:

Yes, she never seemed as "motherly" but I think that was true and didn't seem at least on the show, to want to cook etc. Nothing wrong with wanting to work but she always had more than her Ma with clothes, home, etc.

Of course, her Ma kept getting children dropped off and did the best she could. : )

It also didn't help that Miss Gilbert didn't believably convey that Laura was doing any true work-either for pay or as a homemaker (not even when she carried the buckets for the apple orchard). I mean one time she brought out a pitcher of (evidently) fresh lemonade-complete with floating ice cubes and topped with lemon slices but I just couldn't imagine Miss Gilbert having squeezed the needed lemons much less successfully chopping little cubes from a block of ice from an ice house! At least Miss Grassle was a believable pioneer working mother!

• Like 4
(edited)

I think Melissa G was just too young and not that skilled an actor to pull off being Laura as a grown woman instead of just acting out the antics of a child. She comes off as harsh when she meant authoritative, like she can't act out more than one emotion at once. 

Karen Grassle was amazing when she needed to act tough but her love and compassion still came through. She should have won an Emmy for that infected leg episode. I still watch it on the edge of my seat, her fear was so real.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Like 6
2 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

I think Melissa G was just too young and not that skilled an actor to pull off being Laura as a grown woman instead of just acting out the antics of a child. She comes off as harsh when she meant authoritative, like she can't act out more than one emotion at once. 

Yes I agree. In general, I think she was a better performer as a child. She could do spirited in the early seasons really well. As an adult, she was often quite shrill and I don't think that was what she was aiming for. 

• Like 5
(edited)
13 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Karen Grassle was amazing when she needed to act tough but her love and compassion still came through. She should have won an Emmy for that infected leg episode. I still watch it on the edge of my seat, her fear was so real.

I agree, Karen wasn't appreciated enough with money or time online. She begged for episodes to show her talent and got a few. She was far above "do you want coffee?" She also loved The Handyman because it showed her femininity and not just "mother" role and how someone else would see her. I didn't like how it ended but I did like seeing her "being seen" and although she'd never cheat on the man she loved, just be visibly appreciated. I also loved how Chris saw Carrie and had scenes with her and even made her a toy, things I never saw with Charles and family.

I thought she was good as school teacher too but not as big a stretch as other roles.

I felt bad for her when I read Mike kept her from making a movie when she could have without much time. She did get to do one but with so few scenes some shows or none at all, they could be filmed early. She had stand in for distant shots.  Boy in the Plastic Bubble was movie. She said

The Boy in the Plastic Bubble would take me away from the Little House shooting schedule for just one day,” Grassle recalled. “Mike refused. He ‘needed me’ in Sonora, he said. I sat on a picnic blanket in a distant shot that Ruthie could have easily done in my place.”The former Little House star went on to reveal she was “furious, knowing I didn’t need to be there and knowing there was nothing I could do about it.”

I also agree, Melissa couldn't stretch that much and my dislike of her was in part because of the roughness and harshness. She was excellent as a little kid.

I think Melissa Sue deserved the Emmy nod for her blindness episodes (maybe some jealousy on set?) I know some make fun of her but I thought she did a fabulous job showing how it would feel, the claustrophobia, the fear, depression, anger, etc.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 6
(edited)

Come to think of it, Sydney and Lindsay Greenbush twins had the best job in the world. all they had to do was basically remember one line for the majority of their episodes..." I gotta pee!" Even for child actors, it's good work if you can get it!

Edited by BusterHymen
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
11 hours ago, BusterHymen said:

Come to think of it, Sydney and Lindsay Greenbush twins had the best job in the world. all they had to do was basically remember one line for the majority of their episodes..." I gotta pee!" Even for child actors, it's good work if you can get it!

I'd agree when they were four or five but surely they were mortified by the limitations by the time they were twelve!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
13 hours ago, Blergh said:

I wonder if Cassandra ever thought it would have been better to take her chances with the strict old couple than having to hang out with Carrie.

Ever notice except for Charles closet friends most of the neighbors were nasty? NO ONE in Walnut Grove could adopt those kids and be kind.  Kind of sad. Even with the Sanderson's. You had alcoholics, bigots, thick headed dads who wanted their daughter's to limp, dad's who beat their kids to holy heaven for being  a little late to chores, crazy religious dads, (lots of nutty dads) neighbors who thought a nice guy stole their money and left pregnant wife alone.

I guess it made life interesting, but I thought poor Cassandra maybe would like Mrs Whipple or Mrs Foster or even Harriet over living in the shoebox on the prairie. ; )

• Like 2
7 hours ago, debraran said:

Ever notice except for Charles closet friends most of the neighbors were nasty? NO ONE in Walnut Grove could adopt those kids and be kind.  Kind of sad. Even with the Sanderson's. You had alcoholics, bigots, thick headed dads who wanted their daughter's to limp, dad's who beat their kids to holy heaven for being  a little late to chores, crazy religious dads, (lots of nutty dads) neighbors who thought a nice guy stole their money and left pregnant wife alone.

I guess it made life interesting, but I thought poor Cassandra maybe would like Mrs Whipple or Mrs Foster or even Harriet over living in the shoebox on the prairie. ; )

I'm not so sure Mrs.Whipple would have been an ideal foster parent.I mean we have no idea what kind of parent she was to Granville before he became a morphine addict. It didn't bode well that she seemed to have greenlight his idea of him moving back into her home permanently with her being his sole support.

(edited)

Noted, but poor Mrs Whipple probably raised him okay and he got PTSD and tons of guilt from the war. I was surprised how many soldiers got hooked on morphine or people back then but I guess the effect was the same. They (like us) just gave it out too much not knowing. Well we knew, but that's another thread. Codependency is alive and well today too.

Cassandra could have learned to sew, good food and somehow Mrs. Whipple took care of herself alone with a very nice home. No mention of Mr Whipple  : )

Edited by debraran
  • Like 4
(edited)

Poor Cassandra wanted to be in that shoebox because Caroline looked like her own mother. They need a therapist in Walnut Grove with all the issues the townspeople had. Oh wait.....Pa can fix anything.

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
(edited)

Of course one likely hindrance re preventing the Cooper children from being sheltered by the well-meaning elderly seamstress is that the performer who played Mrs.(Amanda)Whipple [with her actual name being Queenie Smith] had died of lung cancer at almost 80 in 1978.

On a shallow note,if one should happen to see pics of her in her youth,she was a surprisingly fetching blonde who was 5'1" in height who once had been engaged to(of all people)Cary Grant!

Edited by Blergh
Corrected date
  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

Yes I read Rev Alden's wife died during the show or was at least sick.

They had quite a few single/widows in WG. Anna who later married Rev Alden, Mrs Foster I think, Grace, Miss. Beadle for a bit,  Mrs. Whipple, Kezia, Widow Thurmond,Mrs Sanderson, Amy Hearn, (who faked death)

I'm sure more but mostly all had a nice home, nicely decorated, they somehow ate well, dressed well , took care of home themselves and had money to eat at Nellies. ; )

• Like 1

Flipping around the tv this morning - the Sylvia episode was on. I changed the channel so fast - here I am in my 50's and the thought of seeing that again still frightens me. HonestIy am still traumatized to this day. They should have had a warning when it first aired - I think the age I was and the shock of seeing that happen or being a bit younger than Sylvia or the fact it happened  on LHOtP really terrified me and haunts me. What was Michael Landon and the network thinking - this is great for the family hour - because back then it really was a family hour!

• Like 2
On 7/15/2023 at 11:45 PM, jason88cubs said:

Thanks for the recent laughs. Dealing with a bad break up, haven't been on here as much. Glad to see this place can still have me laugh

Your most welcome!

Yes,despite all LHOTP's many flaws and faults, it's gotten me through quite a few tough spots down the decades. It's no wonder why folks from all walks of life in virtually every corner have taken to it!

• Like 4

Troublemaker is on right now

on CoziTv

Of course Laura gets picked on, and of course Charles says she's no troublemaker (oh really?!?!?)

I do love though when Charles breaks the ruler in front of the teacher though.

But also what happens to Miss Beadle. What would she do for work? She would have to move right?

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

I also thought miss Beadle had her own place but I think she lived in the hotel they had? They did have one in the early episodes right? or a boarding house?? Because her bedroom is right at the front door like a hotel room would be almost

• Like 2

It was always a bit vague where Doc Baker and the various teachers who weren't married lived. 

I'm watching on Hallmark and they're right at the start of season 9, which means I'll be skipping most of them. Schlong of Healing was on last night, but I missed it. 

2 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

Now The Long Road Home is on..I love this episode!

Victor French really sells it in this episode. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Superclam said:

It was always a bit vague where Doc Baker and the various teachers who weren't married lived. 

I'm watching on Hallmark and they're right at the start of season 9, which means I'll be skipping most of them. Schlong of Healing was on last night, but I missed it. 

Victor French really sells it in this episode. 

I prefer episodes like these over the typical ones we got alot. Michael was really good at building up suspense and drama

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jason88cubs said:

Troublemaker is on right now

on CoziTv

Of course Laura gets picked on, and of course Charles says she's no troublemaker (oh really?!?!?)

I do love though when Charles breaks the ruler in front of the teacher though.

But also what happens to Miss Beadle. What would she do for work? She would have to move right?

Excellent points! Yes, Miss Beadle had no other known set of workskills and she had no relatives in the Hero Township so she'd have had to move but to where and possibly with who is unknown (especially IIRC the only family member she aluded to was her father who'd died in the notorious Andersonville Confederate prison camp).

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Excellent points! Yes, Miss Beadle had no other known set of workskills and she had no relatives in the Hero Township so she'd have had to move but to where and possibly with who is unknown (especially IIRC the only family member she aluded to was her father who'd died in the notorious Andersonville Confederate prison camp).

Yes I can't imagine teacher jobs were easy to come by back then

• Like 2
4 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

True- and don't forget that as soon as Adam regained his eyesight and decided that his talents were too immense to continue teaching the blind students who had considered him, Mary and Hester-Sue to be their de facto parents, not only did Mary not put up the slightest protest to want to continue teaching them herself but it seems the entire blind school was instantly dismantled with the students scattered to the wind. Oh, and Hester-Sue quickly found out that she'd have to go back to school to (re?)qualify for teaching so that's why she accepted Caroline's invite to join her in becoming Mrs. Oleson's 'help'!

Yes, in hindsight, it's amazing how Hester-Sue somehow continued to esteem Adam even after he pulled the plug on her school and her career just so he study to be a legal eagle!

• Like 2
7 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

Now The Long Road Home is on..I love this episode!

5 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

That was a good one and showed how there was always bias against someone.

Miss Beadle probably lived like all the other single/widows, quite well. I started to think they had a fund for food and guys just helped with chores because many women lived alone in homes. Renting just a room would be cramped, Doc Baker lived above his office, but I don't think they thought fans tracked things like where the teacher lived back then. They were on once a week and reruns if you caught them in the summer. ; )

Granted Charles had room in barn/sod house when it wasn't occupied by spoiled rich kids, angry grandson's of neighbors, suicidal fathers, runaway black child (that I wish could have stayed) or hurt Native Americans. Did I forget someone??

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
8 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

But easy enough if an Ingalls was involved or the plot of the week required it.

How many teachers did walnut grove have during the series? Miss Beadle, Caroline, the mean guy, Etta Plum, Laura, Harriet... any others?

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

But easy enough if an Ingalls was involved or the plot of the week required it.

How many teachers did walnut grove have during the series? Miss Beadle, Caroline, the mean guy, Etta Plum, Laura, Harriet... any others?

Eliza Jane!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, Zella said:

Eliza Jane!

What was odd about that was that she lived with her younger brother Almanzo. OK, two single sibs living together was somewhat common but it seemed he had bought the farm and farmhouse they lived entirely based on Eliza Jane having been hired to teach in Walnut Grove.

IIRC, during the episode in which a bully starts to taunt Eliza Jane and she's on the verge of permanently resigning, Laura and Albert are concerned that if their teacher  permanently leaves their school, Almanzo will somehow have no choice but to totally uproot himself and amscray from Walnut Grove despite all the blood, sweat, tears and toil he'd put into his farm (to say nothing of the monies involved  in purchasing it).

Yes, it seemed that Almanzo had followed Eliza Jane from one town to another solely depending on her teaching assignments and, evidently was willing to uproot himself when her tenures would be done.

Wouldn't it have been easier for Manly just to have darned his own socks?

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 3
8 hours ago, Blergh said:

IIRC, during the episode in which a bully starts to taunt Eliza Jane and she's on the verge of permanently resigning, Laura and Albert are concerned that if their teacher  permanently leaves their school, Almanzo will somehow have no choice but to totally uproot himself and amscray from Walnut Grove despite all the blood, sweat, tears and toil he'd put into his farm (to say nothing of the monies involved  in purchasing it

I figured he was just as bad a farmer as Pa, so that's why he didn't mind abandoning it.

• LOL 3
8 hours ago, Blergh said:

Wouldn't it have been easier for Manly just to have darned his own socks?

And truthfully she wouldn't really have had time for it. That's why teachers lived with families from the school. Domestic chores were too labor-intensive then for someone to work a full-time job outside the home and then still maintain even fairly modest housekeeping. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Zella said:

And truthfully she wouldn't really have had time for it. That's why teachers lived with families from the school. Domestic chores were too labor-intensive then for someone to work a full-time job outside the home and then still maintain even fairly modest housekeeping. 

So you think Eliza Jane should have told Manly from Day One  to either darn his own socks  or go barefoot like other farmers were doing back then?

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Superclam said:

So I caught an episode of the Love Boat today, and guess who was on? Everyone's favorite half pint! She was playing a tomboy who fell for a boy on the cruise, played by Jimmy Baio. 

I guess it's just as well that they got him instead of his more annoying cousin Scott or else every whale in the Mexican Riviera would have beached themselves to avoid them- if not the entire Princess crew hoping for an iceberg to sink the two of them!

• LOL 3

just a episode i wrote out

(Early morning)

(charles rises to scrambled eggs, tomatoes and bacon on the table. charles smiles takes a whiff)"mmmmmmmmm fresh home made breakfast. can a man get any luckier"

(laura walks in) ugh eggs again!!cant we ever have pancakes! the olesons have pancakes 4x a week. and all we get is eggs)
charles: now you listen hear child, dont you ever disrespect your ma like that again. you eat your eggs or let your sister carrie eat them

(Carrie smiles) "gooogaga bbaaa daaa reeeeee teee"

charleS: see she appreciates your ma's cooking"

(laura runs out of the house crying_
caroline: LAURA! (chases after her, but charles stands up grabs caroline by the arm) charles: let her go dear. shes gotta learn it the hard way

mary: i dont mind eggs. their good for you! ill eat them every day!

charles: ok brown noser shut up and eat your eggs

(charles walks to work and runs into the doc)
doc: charles ! how you doing

charleS: good doc just about to go to work as usual. sun up to sun down just to scrape the barrell.Man sure does get wore out working long hours just to get by. Seems like anytime I make money, something happens. Flood, Tornado, pyramid scheme...

doc: well listen charles you still owe me 5 dollars for the time you broke your ribs

Charles: which time? last week?

Doc: no you paid that

Charles: last month?

Doc: well which time lats month? you broke your ribs 3 times

(Both sit and ponder)

Doc: well any it doesn't matter but you do owe me 5 dollars

charleS: listen here doc i aint got the money! sorry we arent all rich like the olesons!

doc charle s i never said that

charles : i know what you meant! know look im running late. trying to get me fired now you country doctor!

(charles rips off his shirt and starts running,trips and falls and screams "MY RIBS!" the doc gives a shocked look and tries to help him but Charles just screams "COUNTRY DOCTOR!")

(charles gets to the mill) hanson: charles. you late again. that is 5 days in a row you late

charles: i know mr hanson and im sorry. the doc stopped me

hanson: yes he told me he looking for you. why you no pay your bill?

charles: becaus e not all of us are rich like you , you low paying dirty rotten sob(charles takes hammer and slams it against the building a board come sloose and hits Chalres in the ribs who lets out a loud scream)

hanson: charles i let you go. im sorry, you a good worker but your attitude"

charleS: "huh like youll last 1 week without me!, Here I am busted ribs still working! Is that how you value me?!

Hanson: Again with the ribs?

(Charles storms off)

(charles spends all day walking then comes up with a plan)

(charles talking to himself) charles: yea thats what ill do. ill break in the olseons and steal the money hehehe

(11:00pm)

charles sneaks into olesons mercantile(shirt off), and takes all their money, he runs home, trips on a rock, breaks some more ribs, and surpises caroline who has been looking for him(the next day charles tells caroline they have to go, which upsets her as she has a appointment with Chris the Handyman)

AS THEY PACK TO LEAVE, NELS hanson, teh doc all show up. Charles gets nervous. Hanson tells charles he saw him sneaking out with the money

nels apologizes to charles that he is rich and charles is poor

nels says" keep 50% of what you got charles"

teh doc says ," dont worry charles ill never charge you again"

charles cries and says "what a group of friends."

laura runs home and says "mom we can have eggss everyday its ok"

charles takes out handful of money and says "half-pint well be eating pancakes from now on"

eveyrone laugh and charles smiles and winks at camera

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
8 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

just a episode i wrote out

(Early morning)

(charles rises to scrambled eggs, tomatoes and bacon on the table. charles smiles takes a whiff)"mmmmmmmmm fresh home made breakfast. can a man get any luckier"

(laura walks in) ugh eggs again!!cant we ever have pancakes! the olesons have pancakes 4x a week. and all we get is eggs)
charles: now you listen hear child, dont you ever disrespect your ma like that again. you eat your eggs or let your sister carrie eat them

(Carrie smiles) "gooogaga bbaaa daaa reeeeee teee"

charleS: see she appreciates your ma's cooking"

(laura runs out of the house crying_
caroline: LAURA! (chases after her, but charles stands up grabs caroline by the arm) charles: let her go dear. shes gotta learn it the hard way

mary: i dont mind eggs. their good for you! ill eat them every day!

charles: ok brown noser shut up and eat your eggs

(charles walks to work and runs into the doc)
doc: charles ! how you doing

charleS: good doc just about to go to work as usual. sun up to sun down just to scrape the barrell.Man sure does get wore out working long hours just to get by. Seems like anytime I make money, something happens. Flood, Tornado, pyramid scheme...

doc: well listen charles you still owe me 5 dollars for the time you broke your ribs

Charles: which time? last week?

Doc: no you paid that

Charles: last month?

Doc: well which time lats month? you broke your ribs 3 times

(Both sit and ponder)

Doc: well any it doesn't matter but you do owe me 5 dollars

charleS: listen here doc i aint got the money! sorry we arent all rich like the olesons!

doc charle s i never said that

charles : i know what you meant! know look im running late. trying to get me fired now you country doctor!

(charles rips off his shirt and starts running,trips and falls and screams "MY RIBS!" the doc gives a shocked look and tries to help him but Charles just screams "COUNTRY DOCTOR!")

(charles gets to the mill) hanson: charles. you late again. that is 5 days in a row you late

charles: i know mr hanson and im sorry. the doc stopped me

hanson: yes he told me he looking for you. why you no pay your bill?

charles: becaus e not all of us are rich like you , you low paying dirty rotten sob(charles takes hammer and slams it against the building a board come sloose and hits Chalres in the ribs who lets out a loud scream)

hanson: charles i let you go. im sorry, you a good worker but your attitude"

charleS: "huh like youll last 1 week without me!, Here I am busted ribs still working! Is that how you value me?!

Hanson: Again with the ribs?

(Charles storms off)

(charles spends all day walking then comes up with a plan)

(charles talking to himself) charles: yea thats what ill do. ill break in the olseons and steal the money hehehe

(11:00pm)

charles sneaks into olesons mercantile(shirt off), and takes all their money, he runs home, trips on a rock, breaks some more ribs, and surpises caroline who has been looking for him(the next day charles tells caroline they have to go, which upsets her as she has a appointment with Chris the Handyman)

AS THEY PACK TO LEAVE, NELS hanson, teh doc all show up. Charles gets nervous. Hanson tells charles he saw him sneaking out with the money

nels apologizes to charles that he is rich and charles is poor

nels says" keep 50% of what you got charles"

teh doc says ," dont worry charles ill never charge you again"

charles cries and says "what a group of friends."

laura runs home and says "mom we can have eggss everyday its ok"

charles takes out handful of money and says "half-pint well be eating pancakes from now on"

eveyrone laugh and charles smiles and winks at camera

Not bad but tomatoes would have been a rare commodity among mid 19th century pioneers- many of whom still  considered them to be poisonous.

'Caroline, are you trying to do me in mixing in love apples into the eggs?'

Yep, that's what they were called for a long time!

• Like 2
On 8/6/2023 at 10:45 AM, Fool to cry said:

I would love to see an AI generated Little House episode.

I have to disagree! I mean as hammy and wooden as many of the performances were down the years, the cast DID convey their emotions and helped hone the characters- and having a 'robot Pa' 'robot Laura', 'robot Nellie',etc. would be a rather soulless venture, IMO!

• Like 2
On 8/10/2023 at 8:00 PM, Blergh said:

I have to disagree! I mean as hammy and wooden as many of the performances were down the years, the cast DID convey their emotions and helped hone the characters- and having a 'robot Pa' 'robot Laura', 'robot Nellie',etc. would be a rather soulless venture, IMO!

Oh I know it's going to be bad, and weird and wonky like all the other AI videos I've seen! I'm just curious if an AI is going to put every trope in. The townspeople in church singing "Ringing in the Sheaves", Nelly bullying, Harriet screeching, Doc Baker being somber, etc. 

Edited by Fool to cry
  • LOL 2
14 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

I'mOh I know it's going to be bad, and weird and wonky like all the other AI videos I've seen! I'm just curious if an AI is going to put every trope in. The townspeople in church singing "Ringing in the Sheaves", Nelly bullying, Harriet screeching, Doc Baker being somber, etc. 

Pa's bare chest and manly tears. 

• LOL 2
8 hours ago, Zella said:

Pa's bare chest and manly tears. 

They'd probably inflate it to Schwarzenegger/Dolly Parton proportions and have the tears appear to be made out of glass!

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

They'd probably inflate it to Schwarzenegger/Dolly Parton proportions and have the tears appear to be made out of glass!

There will be room for all of Walnut Grove to seek solace in his bosom. 😂

• Mind Blown 1
4 hours ago, Blergh said:

Or he'd be shirtless in random scenes like in church or arguing with Mrs Olson!

Edited by Fool to cry
  • LOL 2
3 hours ago, Fool to cry said:

Or he'd be shirtless in random scenes like in church or arguing with Mrs Olson!

Or to truly excite the audience/ intimidate his foes, AI could have Pa shirtless or even wearing just Native American breechcloths  during formal occasions and stretched to about 7 feet tall which would eliminate the need for his male co-stars to stand in ditches while he's on steps!

Seriously, though, I doubt that his heirs would ever agree to any of the above -regardless of how ML may have wished  in RL to have added a few extra meters to his stature (and possibly have skipped working out ).