Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

Yeah, why couldn't they have used the sod house for Albert with him taking all his meals with the Ingallses? It was good enough for Grandpa Ingalls and even the whole family before they'd built the Little House!

I suppose Albert's bio mom had died early or even possibly giving him life but it's surprising that NOTHING was said about her fate .. and I don't recall her name being written out or mentioned not even by Mr. Quinn! In retrospect, I'm a bit surprised that ML wouldn't have tried to milk extra angst out of a possible 'Albert's mom died bearing him' deal.

Good point! @debraran , it sure WAS convenient that Mr. Quinn somehow got buried on his own otherwise empty farm with a marked grave to boot! Who had been with/ found him when he died? Who paid for that grave? What was going to happen to the farm  (which looked surprisingly neat and tidy for a property that had had its owner recently die)? None of these questions got answered!

Then, later on, when Albert was supposed to be starting med school (before he got the fatal leukemia diagnosis) how was THAT supposed to have been paid? Both Charles and Caroline were working zillions of hours in the big city barely keeping their enlarged family of five afloat but the issue o how  Albert's impending tuition was being paid  given zilch dialogue (along with Mary's firebug specs- which would have easily cost a farmer roughly a year's income)!

• LOL 1
(edited)

If anything the Oelson's would have been better off taking in Albert

Also I need to go back and watch the episode when Albert goes with them. i truly don't recall Charles discussing with ANYONE about bringing Albert along. Maybe Caroline? Which was her encouraging him to

Edited by jason88cubs
  • Like 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, jason88cubs said:

If anything the Oelson's would have been better off taking in Albert

Also I need to go back and watch the episode when Albert goes with them. i truly don't recall Charles discussing with ANYONE about bringing Albert along. Maybe Caroline? Which was her encouraging him to

That's about it- and Charles didn't even discuss it with Laura before he inflicted Albert on the way back!

Of course, as soon as they got settled in the loft, Albert made a joke about 'Laura the Locomotive' re her snoring but that didn't stop him from continuing to sleep there much less anyone suggesting he might have a quieter and sounder sleep in the barn/sod house!

BTW, from the time that Laura wed Manly until the Ingallses adopted James and Cassandra Cooper, Albert had the WHOLE loft to himself with his two 'little sisters' Carrie and Grace evidently had to make do with the trundle bed at the foot of Charles and Caroline's bed! Then he had to share the loft with James while Cassandra made it THREE girls sleeping at the foot of the parental bed!  Bogus!

Edited by Blergh
  • LOL 2
53 minutes ago, Blergh said:

That's about it- and Charles didn't even discuss it with Laura before he inflicted Albert on the way back!

Of course, as soon as they got settled in the loft, Albert made a joke about 'Laura the Locomotive' re her snoring but that didn't stop him from continuing to sleep there much less anyone suggesting he might have a quieter and sounder sleep in the barn/sod house!

BTW, from the time that Laura wed Manly until the Ingallses adopted James and Cassandra Cooper, Albert had the WHOLE loft to himself with his two 'little sisters' Carrie and Grace evidently had to make do with the trundle bed at the foot of Charles and Caroline's bed! Then he had to share the loft with James while Cassandra made it THREE girls sleeping at the foot of the parental bed!  Bogus!

That's just gross, I've seen the yard of space at the end of the bed. He's a carpenter, build something! They couldn't show beds because there was no room, Carrie's bed in one shot was inches from their bed. Kind of silly, but again he was ML and you just bought they had a place under the floorboards for their clothes.

I loved the "little house" but not with that many kids and it's funny how poor they were supposed to be but Laura lived in a nice house, Mary had nicer blind school homes, all their friends. I get not wanting to wreck the charm but don't adopt the town!

At least when they left Walnut Grove the girls and James had a big home that looked pretty nice when they showed it. Own? I'm not sure but not rustic and maybe Caroline liked it better.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

If I recall in one episode Harriet said something along the lines of "don't buy what you can't pay for" and of course it was made to seem like she was a AWFUL person but she was right. Charles was the worst

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Ignore ML butt, just the only shot I had showing their bedpost and Carries bed. A tight squeeze for sure.

I think Harriet was a good business woman. I admit, I'd be horrible, too big of a heart and I'd probably change or lose my store. You just can't be overly charitable and pay for the items you bought with good feelings. Sure if you had a good year and they did, you could be, but having everyone on tabs and owing is not good business.

They  did buy things in the past,  loaned and gave many items, lanterns, coats, medicine, whatever they needed for an emergency.

carrie 12.jpg

• Like 1
11 hours ago, debraran said:

Ignore ML butt, just the only shot I had showing their bedpost and Carries bed. A tight squeeze for sure.

I think Harriet was a good business woman. I admit, I'd be horrible, too big of a heart and I'd probably change or lose my store. You just can't be overly charitable and pay for the items you bought with good feelings. Sure if you had a good year and they did, you could be, but having everyone on tabs and owing is not good business.

They  did buy things in the past,  loaned and gave many items, lanterns, coats, medicine, whatever they needed for an emergency.

carrie 12.jpg

As much as ML might have preferred otherwise, I've ignored his backside and agree with your conclusion that this would have been too tiny a space for two much less three growing girls to have slept in even on a temporary basis much less a permanent one! Were they supposed to be stacked like cordwood one atop the other with only the bottom one getting the mattress or did the three just stand atop the mattress and 'sleep' that way? Bogus!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
32 minutes ago, Blergh said:

As much as ML might have preferred otherwise, I've ignored his backside and agree with your conclusion that this would have been too tiny a space for two much less three growing girls to have slept in even on a temporary basis much less a permanent one! Were they supposed to be stacked like cordwood one atop the other with only the bottom one getting the mattress or did the three just stand atop the mattress and 'sleep' that way? Bogus!

Agree, at some point they needed to expand or something. I know money was tight but somehow they added on for the kitchen?

It's just weird the Charles was a working man but had this small little place while there was widows who I assume made money selling preserves or something who had these big houses living alone

• Like 3
9 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

Agree, at some point they needed to expand or something. I know money was tight but somehow they added on for the kitchen?

It's just weird the Charles was a working man but had this small little place while there was widows who I assume made money selling preserves or something who had these big houses living alone

Their house was cute but the only one with one smaller was Mr Edwards before he got married. Sanderson's, Garvey's, Mrs Whipple, most of the people Charles saved, lived in larger homes with separate rooms and door on them! None of them seemed rich and many were struggling or farmed or worked with their hands. 

I remember even back then wondering what they did to have those homes when Charles struggled so much, even though he farmed and worked at the mill and did odd jobs.

• Like 1

I recall Carrie moving into the loft after Laura married. Then when James and Cassandra were brought into the mix, James and Albert shared half of the loft and Carrie and Cassandra shared the other half. 

• Useful 1
9 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

I recall Carrie moving into the loft after Laura married. Then when James and Cassandra were brought into the mix, James and Albert shared half of the loft and Carrie and Cassandra shared the other half. 

I  honestly don't recall those arrangements but I'd like to think you're right (even though the loft itself was cozy for two but would have been sardine-cans for four)!

Regardless it was still (to semi-quote Laura's closing narration), 'a house full. ..of claustrophobia!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jason88cubs said:

and then all of those people and then some shoved in that tiny little house snowed in during Christmas

There's a reason it's the Christmas they never forgot and it's not because of the warm memories.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
38 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

There's a reason it's the Christmas they never forgot and it's not because of the warm memories.

I have mentioned it multiple times but that is by far my least favorite moment of the series. When they see the snow is so high they are trapped and they all just sit and laugh. In reality they would have been shoveling all night , stocking up on food and doing what they can to not be trapped

but not the Ingalls!

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
4 minutes ago, jason88cubs said:

I have mentioned it multiple times but that is by far my least favorite moment of the series. When they see the snow is so high they are trapped and they all just sit and laugh. In reality they would have been shoveling all night , stocking up on food and doing what they can to not be trapped

but not the Ingalls!

They've got Pa Messiah and his manly chest - they don't need shovels or food when they can bask in the glory of his saucer-sized nipples.

• LOL 1
Just now, CountryGirl said:

They've got Pa Messiah and his manly chest - they don't need shovels or food when they can bask in the glory of his saucer-sized nipples.

we know where to hang the stockings!

• LOL 3
On 6/5/2023 at 8:23 AM, jason88cubs said:

If anything when they extended out the kitchen they could have made that a bedroom or something. I don't know

Bizarrely, when Charles finally agreed to build out the house (in the episode where James and Albert run away, I think), suddenly James and Albert were all, "No, Pa, we love spending every moment within 2 inches of seventeen other people all the time! Please don't give us more room!"

Every person in Walnut Grove with a house had a bigger house than the Ingalls.

• Like 3

Never forget when Charles got hit by the tornado and told Edwards and Lars Hanson they were packing up and leaving, Edwards said "well we will help ya with your crops"

and Charles turned around and screamed "DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND I LOST MY CROP FOR THE 50TH TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CAN'T KEEP BEGGING FOR HELP!!! NOW LET ME WALK OVER TO OELSON'S AND ASK IF I CAN BUY SOME TOBACCO ON CREDIT!"

• LOL 3
9 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

and then all of those people and then some shoved in that tiny little house snowed in during Christmas

Always hating public bathrooms etc. I remember thinking what if someone has to pee? Who wakes up and doesn't have to pee...let me into that barn! lol

Outhouses were "in" but I always wondered why if farmers and carpenters, they didn't realize composting pail and bucket would work too in winter or storms. Sawdust and large enough pail. A costar once told of the unsaid BO that would be there with sweat and old clothes not ready for wash day. The not so rosy, sweet view of prairie life ...there just isn't enough lemon verbena.....

5 minutes ago, debraran said:

Always hating public bathrooms etc. I remember thinking what if someone has to pee? Who wakes up and doesn't have to pee...let me into that barn! lol

Outhouses were "in" but I always wondered why if farmers and carpenters, they didn't realize composting pail and bucket would work too in winter or storms. Sawdust and large enough pail. A costar once told of the unsaid BO that would be there with sweat and old clothes not ready for wash day. The not so rosy, sweet view of prairie life ...there just isn't enough lemon verbena.....

im sure back then they used a bucket, then would empty bucket out..i would assume

Yes, I think they had those pots but my point was composting is not as stinky and more sanitary with sawdust or something like that. Please no pictures in my head of a home with no real inside doors and very small walking areas, using a chamber pot...especially snowed in at Xmas. ; )  Leave me with some fantasy. lol

• LOL 3
11 hours ago, jird said:

Bizarrely, when Charles finally agreed to build out the house (in the episode where James and Albert run away, I think), suddenly James and Albert were all, "No, Pa, we love spending every moment within 2 inches of seventeen other people all the time! Please don't give us more room!"

That’s because the Little House was full…OF LOVE!!

• Applause 1
  • LOL 4

I think the entire Little House = proto- tiny house deal somewhat epitomized a failing of the show in that, once the Ingallses had finished having suffered and endured literally every step from the Big Woods until they finished their own Little House, the entire concept of them being one pioneer family carving this hithero unsettled (by Europeans) wilderness into a community with other pioneer families got totally scuttled.

I mean, with the sole exception of Mr. Edwards's pre-marital and post-marital abodes, every other Walnut Grove resident seemed to have been long since comfortably settled with all the conveniences and  comforts of a Bostonian suburban neighborhood!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, Blergh said:

I think the entire Little House = proto- tiny house deal somewhat epitomized a failing of the show in that, once the Ingallses had finished having suffered and endured literally every step from the Big Woods until they finished their own Little House, the entire concept of them being one pioneer family carving this hithero unsettled (by Europeans) wilderness into a community with other pioneer families got totally scuttled.

I mean, with the sole exception of Mr. Edwards's pre-marital and post-marital abodes, every other Walnut Grove resident seemed to have been long since comfortably settled with all the conveniences and  comforts of a Bostonian suburban neighborhood!

Yes, that was questioned even back then, why even the log cabins of some, whether loner guys or families or couples were bigger than Charles's home. At least show some less cute but homes like they had in the LHOP movie.

That home was basic, he would have added on I assume if they weren't run off, but even though I LOVED the movie, I thought Charles was selfish. Caroline had to bring up 3 girls alone with no neighbors, church or store. Who knew how long before it was a town and it was a day trip to go to the town he went too for supplies. What if she needed help, what if her labor went badly or a kid broke an arm or Carrie didn't wait to fall down a well until she had neighbors and the Olesons to help her.  Not a life I would have wanted but Caroline did have "Santa Edwards" to come and all was well.

Mrs Whipple did  very well it seemed in her home and of course the Sanderson's and the Widow with her new woodwork and most of the kids friends. Although I didn't like them, when the new family moved in the Ingall's house, neighbors must have wondered why they didn't buy one of the many homes of "one time" people that came and went in Walnut Grove.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 6
23 hours ago, debraran said:

Yes, that was questioned even back then, why even the log cabins of some, whether loner guys or families or couples were bigger than Charles's home. At least show some less cute but homes like they had in the LHOP movie.

That home was basic, he would have added on I assume if they weren't run off, but even though I LOVED the movie, I thought Charles was selfish. Caroline had to bring up 3 girls alone with no neighbors, church or store. Who knew how long before it was a town and it was a day trip to go to the town he went too for supplies. What if she needed help, what if her labor went badly or a kid broke an arm or Carrie didn't wait to fall down a well until she had neighbors and the Olesons to help her.  Not a life I would have wanted but Caroline did have "Santa Edwards" to come and all was well.

Mrs Whipple did  very well it seemed in her home and of course the Sanderson's and the Widow with her new woodwork and most of the kids friends. Although I didn't like them, when the new family moved in the Ingall's house, neighbors must have wondered why they didn't buy one of the many homes of "one time" people that came and went in Walnut Grove.

My guess is that Mr. Carter being a blacksmith didn't have a great deal of cash to throw around and the Ingallses seemed to be eager to hightail it  outso Charles could 'move on up' via working in big,bad city's men's clothing store [Oooh?!] so they spent about as much time going over the house and property as Oliver Douglas had done the Old Haney Place on Green Acres. ..and that wound up being that!

BTW, did anyone else wonder why Isaiah's post-marital abode seemed to have been a one-room cabin with exactly ONE bed right smack in the middle of that room? They seemed as reluctant to address that almost literal room elephant when he had become Matthew's guardian as they'd been reluctant to address how the Ingallses, Garveys and even the Oleson families EACH lived in one room apartments in Winoka with exactly ONE bed per family!  I know times may have been tough and one might not have gotten the chance to get another mattress but how tough would it have been to have dropped some dialogue stating that one or all the parents/guardians had opted to sleep on the floor while their offspring would  have had the bed to themselves.?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

I think we discussed this earlier, did the doctor live about the mailroom? where they had a few spare rooms?

As best I can tell, Doc Baker lived within viewing distance of wherever that 'Rooms' sign happened to be. Of course, when he decided to hang up his stethescope for an episode, he did managed to get some acreage to vain try to become a farmer.  Then, during Mr. Hansen's last hurrah when the Ingallses returned to try to revive Walnut Grove from its temp ghost town deal, it seemed Doc Baker was living in Mr. Hansen's place full time to be the dying man's live-in caregiver but once the town got back on its feet (and Mr. Hansen had finished his last smorgasbord), it seemed Doc Baker was back to following the mysterious Rooms sign all over again!

Of course, what was also odd was that Miss Beadle was ALSO supposed to have lived somewhere near the Rooms sign (at least until she got enough acreage for her horse named Jack and that tree swing) but they never had any but the most prim dealings- and even Mrs. Oleson didn't consider the possibility of them getting together!

16 hours ago, Blergh said:

Of course, what was also odd was that Miss Beadle was ALSO supposed to have lived somewhere near the Rooms sign (at least until she got enough acreage for her horse named Jack and that tree swing) but they never had any but the most prim dealings- and even Mrs. Oleson didn't consider the possibility of them getting together!

Poor Doc Baker. The only educated, single guy in town, and all the ladies acted like he didn't exist. He was there all the time and apparently neither Caroline nor Grace thought he was an option for Grace. Then smelly, drunk Mr. Edwards shows up and they leap on him like water in a desert!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, jird said:

Poor Doc Baker. The only educated, single guy in town, and all the ladies acted like he didn't exist. He was there all the time and apparently neither Caroline nor Grace thought he was an option for Grace. Then smelly, drunk Mr. Edwards shows up and they leap on him like water in a desert!

That was odd....and then a young, pretty thing comes, she loves him but of course he's "late Fall" and she's Spring. Then there is NO ONE on God's green earth in all his travels that would like a kind doctor for a husband. I guess like the missing wife of Rev Alden, he didn't want to deal with another costar who would bring a different dimension to the character. Very lonely though for him.

Smelly, backwards and full of heart (and alcohol) Mr Edwards though had Grace all aflutter.  and a wife before that and a young blind girl who is of course too young for him. Only ML could have a real young bride/girlfriend, no one on the show.

Ms Beadle did get the pig farmer who was cute but yes the Doc never even thought to ask her for a date.

And don't get me on my heartthrob Chris who was run off, no woman anywhere could attract him, handsome, smart, good with kids and can build things quickly and just as good if not better than St Charles. Be still my heart...

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

To be fair, it seemed  that Mr. Edwards had been perfectly clean and sober during his 1st union until his poor young wife and daughter abruptly died then he leaped full tilt off the water wagon!  Then, he seemed sober during his marriage to Grace until he got boozy again after John, Jr.'s death. However, he somehow ALWAYS seemed to wear the same plaid shirt.

Yes, I know that doctors had far tinier salaries in the 19th century (especially rural ones) compared to their contemporary counterparts but  it seemed that, apart from Mrs. Oleson's niece, Doc Baker got treated as though he was church mouse poor AND the Elephant Man's uglier bro!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Blergh said:

To be fair, it seemed  that Mr. Edwards had been perfectly clean and sober during his 1st union until his poor young wife and daughter abruptly died then he leaped full tilt off the water wagon!  Then, he seemed sober during his marriage to Grace until he got boozy again after John, Jr.'s death. However, he somehow ALWAYS seemed to wear the same plaid shirt.

Yes, I know that doctors had far tinier salaries in the 19th century (especially rural ones) compared to their contemporary counterparts but  it seemed that, apart from Mrs. Oleson's niece, Doc Baker got treated as though he was church mouse poor AND the Elephant Man's uglier bro!

Yes Mr Edwards wore that same plaid shirt all the time except in church. Easy on the prop/costume department. ; )

Karen said he was VERY popular off the set so his charm was obvious to some, but even though doctor's didn't make the money they did now and he took eggs, etc. as payment, he was smart and educated and would have made a nice husband.

• Like 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, debraran said:

Yes Mr Edwards wore that same plaid shirt all the time except in church. Easy on the prop/costume department. ; )

Karen said he was VERY popular off the set so his charm was obvious to some, but even though doctor's didn't make the money they did now and he took eggs, etc. as payment, he was smart and educated and would have made a nice husband.

Miss Grassle and, I think, Miss Stewart sung his praises over the fact that he was raising his son solo for most of the kid's childhood. Thus, in hindsight, it's a bit surprising that ML didn't have Mr. Hagen's character have also been a single parent even if he didn't want Doc married. I mean, depite Harriet Oleson and Isaiah Edwards having (for very different reasons) having somewhat proven to have been. .. imperfect parents, ML nonetheless gave each of them the chance to be foster/adoptive parents a 2ND time towards the end of the series. Yet, he  couldn't have had Doc Baker attempt to sire offspring, adopt a related or unrelated orphan  or even to mentor a live-in protege (as many doctors did back then).  What gives?

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 2
16 hours ago, Egg McMuffin said:

Maybe Doc Baker was into dudes.

Oh what a episode that would be!  A bunch of rough men refuse to be treated by a gay doctor, even Harriet is disgusted. Doc Baker goes to quit. Charles jumps off his own house to break ribs and has to have emergency surgery to show everyone HE'S not afraid of a gay doctor. Then Charles ridicules everyone and everyone says sorry to the doctor

• Like 3
  • LOL 5

Maybe add the twist that one or all of the 'rough' men has been crushing on the Doc but Doc doesn't find him/them interesting and THAT is the true source of their hostility towards him.

Seriously, while I can't imagine ML would have attempted any storylines about LGTPQ folks in the 1970's or 80's, he might have written something like this had were he still living at this time.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Blergh said:

Maybe add the twist that one or all of the 'rough' men has been crushing on the Doc but Doc doesn't find him/them interesting and THAT is the true source of their hostility towards him.

Seriously, while I can't imagine ML would have attempted any storylines about LGTPQ folks in the 1970's or 80's, he might have written something like this had were he still living at this time.

I think so, they were the minority with racism many times, Native American's were respected, feared to some degree, but not hated by Charles.  He stuck up for immigrants who were smart but just didn't know the language. I could see him hiding a gay guy that the "manly cowboys" wanted to kill. Not then, but in a new show where he is saving people after being an angel. ; )

• Like 4
(edited)

Considering that he did the whole Albert Morphine Addict after one of his children had had substance abuse issues, I think it's possible that (had he lived longer ) ML may have penned a somewhat sympathetic script about some of the issues the LGBTQ have faced since one of his RL sons( Christopher) has publicly identified as such in 1999.

Of course, one might wonder if he'd ever attempted to do so  for LHOTP in the 1970's or 80's but was given a big fat N-O by NBC ....

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 3

Quick fun fact! Reverend Alden (Dabbs Greer) was also the Reverend on the very first episode of the Brady Bunch! He was the preacher that married Mike and Carol Brady! I never realized that until now when I just got done watching Episode 1 (The Honeymoon) of the Brady Bunch. 

• Like 6
On 5/19/2023 at 12:06 PM, Zella said:

Logic/consistency and late LHOTP are like oil and water. 

These TV movies have to be seen to be believed. As batshit crazy and nonsensical as season 9 is, they're even more batshit and crazy and nonsensical. 

Well Zella...You tried to warn me...LOL...Just got done watching the last three movies of LHOTP (season 10)...I still have a few more random thoughts about the end of season 9...I found it kind of funny when Willie chose Mr. Edwards to be his best man when through the first 9 seasons they hardly said one word to each other! Did they become best friends over night? Laura is still insufferable, annoying, and every bit as immature as she was as a child. Yelling, screaming, cursing, swearing, etc. at Doc Baker when her son died as if it was his fault?!...really??!!...and true to LHOTP manuscript, we go through all of the crappy, nonsensical bullshit decorum motions of her and everyone else at Walnut Grove apologizing to Doc Baker, and saying what a great man he is, and how many lives he has saved during the past 20+ years, etc...again, why is all of this melodrama necessary in the first place? why would she even doubt him? he wasn't at fault and didn't anything wrong...Little Rose getting kidnapped and everyone is hysterical, angry, upset, etc. and then at the end when they finally found the lady responsible just a quick few apologies and all is forgiven and no charges filed?!!...WTF?!...The only saving grace was Mr. Montague (I actually thought he was a breath of fresh air...loved his egocentric, charming, arrogant, know-it-all character) dressing up as Santa Claus and giving the whole Carter family presents and making their Christmas wonderful. I will be very brief with the farewell episode...it sucked monkey ass! ridiculous and stupid plot (even by LHOTP standards). First and foremost, anyone that owned property had to have a deed, even back in those days. either that, or have some kind of parchment/claim filed in their name. No way in hell and utterly impossible for some greedy land developer to have legal claims of property in Walnut Grove and then some bullshit storyline about Sioux Indian Reservation confiscation?! again WTF?!!...translation: stupid unbelievable plot that didn't make any sense. strike one LHOTP!...furthermore, only the U.S. government could legally exercise Eminent Domain! not anyone else! that's strike two, LHOTP! and the final kicker....the U.S. Calvary (branch of the US Army) came to help evict the citizens of Walnut Grove??!!...really for fuk's sake??!!!...I was too busy crying from laughing so hard at this foolishness. NO, that's now how they operate! they fought to help settlers against Indians while we were still expanding as a country, and helped to fight in our countries wars against perceived enemies...they were NOT for hire by some greedy businessman to do his biding....strike three LHOTP, you're out!

• Like 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, BusterHymen said:

Quick fun fact! Reverend Alden (Dabbs Greer) was also the Reverend on the very first episode of the Brady Bunch! He was the preacher that married Mike and Carol Brady! I never realized that until now when I just got done watching Episode 1 (The Honeymoon) of the Brady Bunch. 

I remember that! But I didn't know this bit of trivia:

He played the first person saved by Superman in the very first episode of the Adventures of Superman (1952) television series. His role was uncredited. He was brought back to appear in a major role as an innocent man about to go to the electric chair in the first episode of the second season. He appeared for a third time in one of the final episodes of the series.

"Married" two of the most well-known couples on television. On The Dick Van Dyke Show (1961) he played the army chaplain who married Rob and Laura Petrie, and on The Brady Bunch (1969) he played the minister who married Mike and Carol Brady.

Brady on left, Dick Van Dyke on right

image.thumb.png.e7f797617eccc46977d9197198229c60.png

Edited by debraran
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, BusterHymen said:

Well Zella...You tried to warn me...LOL...Just got done watching the last three movies of LHOTP (season 10)...I still have a few more random thoughts about the end of season 9...I found it kind of funny when Willie chose Mr. Edwards to be his best man when through the first 9 seasons they hardly said one word to each other! Did they become best friends over night? Laura is still insufferable, annoying, and every bit as immature as she was as a child. Yelling, screaming, cursing, swearing, etc. at Doc Baker when her son died as if it was his fault?!...really??!!...and true to LHOTP manuscript, we go through all of the crappy, nonsensical bullshit decorum motions of her and everyone else at Walnut Grove apologizing to Doc Baker, and saying what a great man he is, and how many lives he has saved during the past 20+ years, etc...again, why is all of this melodrama necessary in the first place? why would she even doubt him? he wasn't at fault and didn't anything wrong...Little Rose getting kidnapped and everyone is hysterical, angry, upset, etc. and then at the end when they finally found the lady responsible just a quick few apologies and all is forgiven and no charges filed?!!...WTF?!...The only saving grace was Mr. Montague (I actually thought he was a breath of fresh air...loved his egocentric, charming, arrogant, know-it-all character) dressing up as Santa Claus and giving the whole Carter family presents and making their Christmas wonderful. I will be very brief with the farewell episode...it sucked monkey ass! ridiculous and stupid plot (even by LHOTP standards). First and foremost, anyone that owned property had to have a deed, even back in those days. either that, or have some kind of parchment/claim filed in their name. No way in hell and utterly impossible for some greedy land developer to have legal claims of property in Walnut Grove and then some bullshit storyline about Sioux Indian Reservation confiscation?! again WTF?!!...translation: stupid unbelievable plot that didn't make any sense. strike one LHOTP!...furthermore, only the U.S. government could legally exercise Eminent Domain! not anyone else! that's strike two, LHOTP! and the final kicker....the U.S. Calvary (branch of the US Army) came to help evict the citizens of Walnut Grove??!!...really for fuk's sake??!!!...I was too busy crying from laughing so hard at this foolishness. NO, that's now how they operate! they fought to help settlers against Indians while we were still expanding as a country, and helped to fight in our countries wars against perceived enemies...they were NOT for hire by some greedy businessman to do his biding....strike three LHOTP, you're out!

Those movies truly have to be seen to be believed. People tried to warn me too and I assumed they were bad, but that description doesn’t do them justice. I watch a lot of TV and can't think of anything that goes off the rails like those TV movies.

The kidnapping one is what really got me. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Zella said:

Those movies truly have to be seen to be believed. People tried to warn me too and I assumed they were bad, but that description doesn’t do them justice. I watch a lot of TV and can't think of anything that goes off the rails like those TV movies.

The kidnapping one is what really got me. 

The spotlight from Heaven is really, really something. It continues what the Schlong of Healing started. 

• LOL 4
6 hours ago, Superclam said:

The spotlight from Heaven is really, really something. It continues what the Schlong of Healing started. 

Exactly right Superclam...I mean where all of the guardian angels when you need them?...and just to stick to good spirits and the humor of this thread and as others have mentioned, the only thing that would have been a fitting end and cherry on top in the Farewell episode when they blow the town up at the end is if one piece of shrapnel would have hit Charles and wound up somehow breaking his ribs again! 

• LOL 2

The insta-forgiveness of crazy Rose-napper including the “Here, take this orphan kid we don’t need now that we have Rose-Mullet back” nonsense edged out Blow Up The Town For No Good Reason and Drip Lip’s Nosebleed of Doom for worst movie. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

The insta-forgiveness of crazy Rose-napper

Yeah maybe it landed differently in the early 80s--though I doubt it--but as someone who reads a lot of true crime and is familiar with several cases of women who've murdered mothers for their kids, including an instance that happened the next county over from me, I was absolutely appalled their reaction was to just shrug off all the incredibly alarming things she did and give her a kid and act like that was HEA. 

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

The insta-forgiveness of crazy Rose-napper including the “Here, take this orphan kid we don’t need now that we have Rose-Mullet back” nonsense edged out Blow Up The Town For No Good Reason and Drip Lip’s Nosebleed of Doom for worst movie. 

short, quick, straightforward, and to the point! nice balance of truth and humor...I like your style, CountryGirl!

• Like 2