Type keyword(s) to search

Little House On The Prairie - General Discussion

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can we empower each other with specific, constructive feedback? How can we redirect our focus towards actions, not individuals, and tackle passive-aggressive behavior by encouraging direct, respectful communication?

Check our guide on healthy debates for more info.

• Start Topic

(edited)

I don't think MSA was ever "mean". I really think, my own opinion of course, the girls hyped up things to put in their books to make it more interesting to people wanting that type of thing. I'm sure the editors pushed it too to some degree. MSA having more class, knowing what they say, still gave Alison kudos in her book and didn't say anything bad about them. She was quieter and her Mom was on set a lot The adults always loved her and you see photos of her playing games with them and some of the kids. Some kids when "3", turn on one but I don't think MSA was not nice. There was the only Emmy nod she got and not others and Mike was proud of her. She also was upset with his affair but made up earlier than MG and attended his wedding and he attended hers.

She married well and didn't have any of the drama some actors had and really seems to love her family and life in Canada. Her husband Mike Sloan made a good salary I'm sure being a writer. She wasn't as pulled by that angle and did make some appearances early on but traveling for a day somewhere, probably not desirable. Maybe she'll do one but I can see her being content without it too.I've seen more updated pics on FB from kids etc and I'm glad she seems to be doing well.

I don't know who'll end up at the event in CT, I don't think it will draw the same as CA for sure, but it will be nice to see Alison and Karen and the gang.

This pic is older, kids are adults now and doing well. I think on paper, her life was pretty desirable over some of the others.

melissa-family-photo2010watermark-585x770.jpg.98edaa072a7afd7c2b01030a79603a81.jpg

Edited by debraran
  • Like 6
On 3/11/2024 at 8:17 PM, jason88cubs said:

Saw some of Family Quarrel. Good episode.

While the bulk of the episode showed the Oleson union nearly permanently unraveling due to Harriet piling on Nels's last straw (or egg basket) and neither one backing down for the longest time [and this is where a great deal of the episode's and future episode's humor would be derived], the irony is that when push came to shove by the two, they DID love each other for who they were! Yeah, with others dogging Harriet to Nels, Nels let his inner Fred Mertz loose (since Fred had no problems griping about Ethel but couldn't stand it when anyone ELSE did so]. Yep, this episode actually depicted for the first time that Nels was NOT a totally overwhelmed and henpecked spouse who had nothing to look forward to but misery from Harriet!

I think it wasn't too much longer after this episode that they phased out the unfunny 'You don't HOW lucky you are, Charles!' early  shtick  while Harriet is ordering him about.

• Like 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, Blergh said:

While the bulk of the episode showed the Oleson union nearly permanently unraveling due to Harriet piling on Nels's last straw (or egg basket) and neither one backing down for the longest time [and this is where a great deal of the episode's and future episode's humor would be derived], the irony is that when push came to shove by the two, they DID love each other for who they were! Yeah, with others dogging Harriet to Nels, Nels let his inner Fred Mertz loose (since Fred had no problems griping about Ethel but couldn't stand it when anyone ELSE did so]. Yep, this episode actually depicted for the first time that Nels was NOT a totally overwhelmed and henpecked spouse who had nothing to look forward to but misery from Harriet!

I think it wasn't too much longer after this episode that they phased out the unfunny 'You don't HOW lucky you are, Charles!' early  shtick  while Harriet is ordering him about.

Yes, I agree. He loved Harriet and even when he took off and had a flirtation with the Irish gal, he realized he loved her and their walk later was sweet and showed what they had before they became more caricatures on the show. I liked even when Harriet didn't want Willie marrying, silly but those things happen, they bonded again at the end. They were my favorite spots with them, second when they showed mercy to others but more to each other.maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.d722d62159d952fb4bf0613fb7dfab72.jpg

nelsandharriet.jpg.fa8e171367757219951132cae811cfbe.jpg

Edited by debraran
  • Like 2

I loved Harriet and Nels' more tender moments. 

One of my favorites was during Mortal Mission (aka one of the plague episodes) when Harriet panics and thinks Nels has stopped breathing and is so visibly relieved when he stirs.

Harriet: "I just love you so much, Nels Oleson!"

Nels: "I know that."

Harriet: "Do you? I don't... Well, I just don't know how you put up with me sometimes."

Nels: "I don't 'put up' with you, Harriet. I love you..." 😍

• Love 5

I have been watching reruns of old tv shows for a distraction in the moment and noticed a lot of the channels do "Theme Week" for old shows. Not just the usual holiday stuff, but by character or topic.

Which made me think what theme weeks would we all come up with?

I would think these could all easily get a week.

Little Rehab on the Prairie. (Graham's dad, albert, edwards...)

Mean Girls (wheelchair down hill, mud wrestling, the talking machine....)

Ingalls the Prairie Airbnb - The Loft or the Soddy (angry teen guy, Peter, Chris, Edwards, Grandpa)

Carry on folks with some clever titles for topics of broken ribs, failed crops, teachers or whatever.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
(edited)

You again? Actors who played more than one character - Uncle Jed, Harold, the old Geezer

and the converse:

Now you see them, now you don't - characters who were on once and were never seen again - Olga, the Russian family, "Little Woman" girl

My Savior - Charles turns lives around with just a few words - Angry Heart, the weird horse family, Mr. Sprague 

and of course, 

Nip this in the bud - we see that famous set of Charles'. 

Edited by Mr. Sparkle
  • Like 2

Big Girls Gone Bad Week (as opposed to Mean Girls, which focused on the kids):

• Amy Hearn fakes her own death
  • Caroline does a baby swap
  • Nancy tries to kill Melinda
  • Laura attacks Brenda Sue
  • Harriet’s Happenings
  • Like 2

When you fall asleep to LHOP on Pluto and wake up to the pilot movie and hear Charles saying " I'm doing the best I can" and you think "I feel ya Charles, I feel ya" and fall right back asleep

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
On 3/16/2024 at 11:18 AM, jason88cubs said:

When you fall asleep to LHOP on Pluto and wake up to the pilot movie and hear Charles saying " I'm doing the best I can" and you think "I feel ya Charles, I feel ya" and fall right back asleep

Amazing you were able to watch anything but TV snow 3 billion miles from the Earth but I guess you were too worried about cold temps, virtually no sunlight. and possibly being unable to return to our planet while you were watching the Pilot to have more than a blase 'tude towards Charles's pioneer struggles. 🤣

• LOL 2
16 minutes ago, Zella said:

Willie! Willie! I've seen a lot of people commenting that as an adult, he really resembles Richard Bull. That was good family casting!

Yes, and I so wish they were still here to be with him. Richard especially spoke highly of him and said how smart he was (smartest he felt of kids on set) and a good young man. Must have been hard for him, I hope although exhausted, he doesn't regret it. I also hope he comes to CT; )

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

So, Jonathan Gilbert DID make it to the Golden Anniversary Celebrations in Simi Valley! Great! I wonder if he did that to confront any old demons and, if so, will he decide that maybe it might be worth doing future fan events?

On  shallow notes.Yes, the 56-year-old performer DOES amazingly resemble his childhood character's parents a great deal- although far more hirsute than the late Mr. Bull -even sporting a rather  impressive samurai bun (so that  means it's likely  at least shoulder length)!  Yeah, one wouldn't have thought he was 56 if one didn't know his age!

I wonder if he mentioned what he's been doing  all these decades or if he ever found a spouse/significant other or even had offspring.

All the above said, thought, it's truly no one else's business unless he chooses to share with us.

On other notes, does anyone know if all the scheduled former cast members appeared including Miss Lester [Hester-Sue Terhune] and Miss Bartlett [Grace Snyder Edwards]? The latter two performers have even more years than Miss Grassle and Miss Stewart and Miss Bartlett is  caregiving her even older spouse William Daniels.

Any surprises?

Well, it sure seemed that they went a LOT of trouble not just corralling as many former cast members but temporarily recreating the interiors of the Little House, Oleson's Mercantile and the Walnut Grove Church/Schoolhouse! I wonder if ML would have been proud of their efforts.

If anyone went, please feel free to share with the rest of us. Thanks!

P.S. Happy 50th Anniversary Little House . .. (and what are MG and AA going to do after this climatic event is over)?

• Like 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, Blergh said:

On other notes, does anyone know if all the scheduled former cast members appeared including Miss Lester [Hester-Sue Terhune] and Miss Bartlett [Grace Snyder Edwards]?

I saw footage of Ketty Lester. I don't know about Bonnie Bartlett. 

Edited by Mr. Sparkle
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Linwood B came late, I heard there were some snafus, some fans very upset at the disorganization and being left out of things, cast went "home" and they were left in the lurch. Too bad, but the rain delayed things and they didn't seem prepared for the crowds. Others had a great time.

I don't think Matt (albert) was there and all the pics focused on Jon, Melissa, Alison, Dean and Kitty. Also the woman who played Eliza was there.

A fan asked Jon where he was living (we all know he got tons of inappropriate questions but well meaning) He told her he was living in LA, lived in NYC but didn't go into past. Good Lord, take your autograph and move on. lol There's thousands of fans in line, not interview time. Another fan said he, brace yourself, didn't know anyone wanted to see him, so I guess he was off grid. : )   He did say maybe he'll do more.

I have a feeling his life wasn't always great, don't know why but just a gut feeling but how many are? No wedding ring or talk of children but he is a dog lover and that's a double plus for me. : )  There's one with Tim Busfield and Jon I'll look for, he said he was having dinner with them later.

431589796_10161868697580625_817394356837

IMG_7083.jpeg

Edited by debraran
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

It's telling that JG seems to be somewhat chummy with Mr. Busfield so I guess that means he and his adoptive sis could possibly have made their own peace. .

Again, I stress that JG's adult life [including sib bonds] are totally his own business unless he chooses to share them with others (and it's possible that his ringless state could be due to him having once been married but no longer and/or having never worn one regardless of marital status- and it's also possible that he could be protective of any offspring's lives even more than his own offstage life).

Still, it appears that he HAS made his peace with having been in LHOTP as well as embracing the fandom so, regardless of anything else, JG seems to have netted some positive experiences from the event.

Interesting seeing Miss Flippen and Miss Lester together since I can't recall their characters ever having a conversation (although Hester-Sue did awkwardly get acquainted with Harvey- the one Eliza Jane had wished had been her flame).

BTW, one of the oddest stories that Miss Lester told in her autobio was that her mother intended to name her 15th child 'Ojarva' for reasons never made clear to anyone in the family but the local registrar ruled that 'Ojarva' was an unacceptable name thus originally named Miss Lester 'Revoyda' (I don't see why anyone would have considered that an improvement). Yeah, I can't blame Miss Lester  for going with 'Ketty' as soon as she became an adult  to either of those clunkers.

Also, Victor French, Jr. seemed to have his fun singing 'Ole Dan Tucker' in a plaid shirt . Ironically, it appears he's actually a few years older than his father's ultimate age.

• Like 1

Confession: I didn't realize Busfield and MG are married. I was wondering why Danny from The West Wing was at a LHOTP reunion and trying to figure out if he guest-starred on a random episode. 😂😂😂

• Like 1
(edited)

This is second hand social media but someone who follow MG said they got together, talking, when a grandparent died. Whatever the reason, it's nice. The event actually wasn't the first time they talked of course. She said herself she hadn't seen him in decades and then said twice during the time since the show.  Never said when or how, which is her business. The reasons are theirs and he I'm sure will try to respect that while fans keep asking him questions. It seemed to me in one clip I saw from a fan, the host tried to keep the sessions short. He did say "finding himself " and as a woman a little older than he is, I'd let that be but you and I know others wont What have you been doing for money etc" is being asked a lot online. I don't want him to lie, but he'll be coached what to do by others used to the events etc. (or he wont go as often) I think the money and maybe being surprised how much fans still love the show, is a kick for him now and a little scary.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Zella said:

Confession: I didn't realize Busfield and MG are married. I was wondering why Danny from The West Wing was at a LHOTP reunion and trying to figure out if he guest-starred on a random episode. 😂😂😂

It was a quiet thing in 2013.  They had their ups and downs financially and I remember them moving to a quaint old house in Midwest (but since they have moved back to more people ) 😉NYC

Edited by debraran
  • Useful 1
(edited)

That picture is so much better than the one that initially appeared on Simi 50th anniversary FB site and set off all of the disparaging remarks!!!

Edited by QQQQ
  • Like 4
13 hours ago, Zella said:

I just thought he was a big Little House on the Prairie fan lol

"Oh a reunion! I can't wait!"

• LOL 2
Just now, jason88cubs said:

I just thought he was a big Little House on the Prairie fan lol

"Oh a reunion! I can't wait!"

I'm glad it wasn't just me! 😂

• LOL 1
(edited)
17 minutes ago, QQQQ said:

That picture is so much better than the one that initially appeared on Simi 50th anniversary FB site and set off all of the disparaging remarks!!!

yes, if he didn't hate his teeth (it happens a lot) or wasn't depressed, have him smile for a reunion shot for social media. People are nasty either way, they act like everyone on the show looks like they did at 20 but then some just like to put down to bring themselves up. When they make fun of his "man bun" or say how he should have dressed etc I'm like"How did he not call you beforehand!" The nerve......😄

Edited by debraran
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1
7 minutes ago, debraran said:

yes, if he didn't hate his teeth (it happens a lot) or wasn't depressed, have him smile for a reunion shot for social media. People are nasty either way, they act like everyone on the show looks like they did at 20 but then some just like to put down to bring themselves up. When they make fun of his "man bun" or say how she should have dressed etc I'm like"How did he not call you beforehand!" The nerve......😄

U just like that people are like "he's not happy" "why won't he smile" what do they want him to do? smile wide and say I'M THRILLED TO BE HERE!!!!!!!!!!1

Guy shows up after 50 years and is probably thinking "people still care about this show this much?" probably tough to thinking of all the cast members that are gone talking about them

(edited)

I would love to know how much $$ the various cast members make at these fan events. I mean, above and beyond whatever the organizers might pay for their participation. It sounds like autographs range from $10 to $50 each. That could be a nice payoff!

I was wondering if Shannen Doherty was going to be there (not sure how her treatment is going); maybe on a panel or something with less exposure to a ton of people. Saw the video she posted recently where she talked about her time on LH.

Edited by QQQQ
  • Like 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

U just like that people are like "he's not happy" "why won't he smile" what do they want him to do? smile wide and say I'M THRILLED TO BE HERE!!!!!!!!!!1

Guy shows up after 50 years and is probably thinking "people still care about this show this much?" probably tough to thinking of all the cast members that are gone talking about them

No, but these events, even when you are used to it, they are are paid to be there and be nice to fans. I get what you are saying, but photos you are using for publicity (not candid) usually are nicer. Later he played the game more and loosened up but they talked about him coming for weeks. They announced him coming and sold even more tickets. I don't think he was off grid all these years and I'm sure the people who love the show is surprising but I think he kind of knew. Somone said all the "fake Jon's" were funny. They never took any effort to really find him but he wasn't a huge child star. I'm glad he's back and talking to Melissa and I hope to see him in CT but that is up in the air right now.

They all get paid differently but that is private to above post. They make their own prices for pics and autographs so I will assume they get to keep that.

Edited by debraran
  • Like 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, debraran said:

Don't know if this will work, but pics of Willie and Nellie at the store.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/2595136567334807

For someone who allegedly loathed performing, JG sure seemed to have had his fun aping his iconic role! Interesting that he was willing to wear the [altered] 19th century schoolboy costume while AA herself kept contemporary threads but just added a curly wig to her short blonde locks.

On a shallow note, that pic with him smiling did seem to take off a few more years off his appearance so that he could have passed for 30! I wonder if ML would have been impressed or intimidated by JG's current hair length/thickness (which appears to have no grey strands).

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, Blergh said:

For someone who allegedly loathed performing, JG sure seemed to have had his fun aping his iconic role! Interesting that he was willing to wear the [altered] 19th century schoolboy costume while AA herself kept contemporary threads but just added a curly wig to her short blonde locks.

On a shallow note, that pic with him smiling did seem to take off a few more years off his appearance so that he could have passed for 30! I wonder if ML would have been impressed or intimidated by JG's current hair length/thickness (which appears to have no grey strands).

Although Melissa said Mike would love this, he didn’t like reunion shows and “ going back    He said w everyone  compares how you looked then to now    ( true) You think though he’d be a bit jealous of the hair, re Jon.  lol 

I think Jon realized he could act goofy, sedate, smile ( which does scale off years ) look glum and the fans will love him, wait hours for paid photos and no stress except being touched a lot. He gets paid for little work and extra he keeps   I hope he’ll go to more. I noticed his pics were expensive vs Alison's but she goes to a lot more things and has a show and makes money in various ways.

Some stars might feel less loved until the newness wears off but that’s not his fault  

Edited by debraran
  • Like 2

I think this is as good time as any to give credit to Dean Butler and many others for having organized this even and (re)built Walnut Grove's iconic landmark building from the ground up in time for this 50th Anniversary!

Yeah, their work definitely paid off. Still, I have to wonder if he and Lucy Lee Flippen might have felt a bit overshadowed by the re-appearance of JG. I mean, they had their own tent 'Meet the Wilders' but I imagine that many attendees might not have felt as awestruck by them as they were by that re-appearance (in much the same way few folks would opt to see a dog and cat exhibit when there was a dodo one in the same venue).

• Like 5
(edited)

I read where someone had Lucy enact her revenge upon Harve Miller. 😂😂😂😂

RDT_20240325_2338456743352591030274710.thumb.jpg.e403abb4985c5dfe2aefe5611c877259.jpg

Edited by Zella
  • Like 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, Blergh said:

I think this is as good time as any to give credit to Dean Butler and many others for having organized this even and (re)built Walnut Grove's iconic landmark building from the ground up in time for this 50th Anniversary!

Yeah, their work definitely paid off. Still, I have to wonder if he and Lucy Lee Flippen might have felt a bit overshadowed by the re-appearance of JG. I mean, they had their own tent 'Meet the Wilders' but I imagine that many attendees might not have felt as awestruck by them as they were by that re-appearance (in much the same way few folks would opt to see a dog and cat exhibit when there was a dodo one in the same venue).

Yes, he went into detail about the recreation on a TV morning show. I loved the home and store and thought that was done very well. If I was there, I'd skip the places that sold LHOP items and just want to close my eyes and pretend I was at Walnut Grove. We have Sturbridge Villiage near me in MA which was like an 1800's town and I loved talking my kids there and going early so you felt it was more "real" Everyone was in costume etc.

It's sad the little house Stan Ivor took I heard is rotting in his barn. The Greenbush twins went to see if they could use something and I think (not sure)they took part of the fireplace. I get why he took it, but just to store it didn't seem right for decades. No inside things but IDK, maybe give it to someone who could use it, or a Landon kid. I'd have made it a play house ; ) At least it would have been loved.

Yes, some fans, probably weren't as interested in "Willie" and Melissa had her usual long lines, but the others usually had people not wanting to wait in long lines or just really liked them. But the hype even at the event about Jon and the introduction and all that, you feed off of it, and I feel many had diminished sales but of course don't have the numbers. It just seems to make sense. I was surprised a little his pics were 50 vs Alison's 10, (not sure Dean/Melissa) but he was "new" and popular and why not cash in if he needed the money. He gave a 10.00 discount for photo/autograph I think. We know nothing about his past, money situation, savings, he can be well set or struggling or anything inbetween. They all are not making big bucks now but doing well. It's how you live like most of us. 50.00 x 1000 people is 50,000 and 90.00 for 2.......not a bad day.

The hype over Jon will die down but you and I know the ticket managers which vary each event, will push to have him come and jack up even good sales to very good. They oversold at Simi. Nothing wrong with that, but it will be Jon's star until the 50th is over and more info comes out. Mystery also buys attention

Edited by debraran
  • Like 1

So I had a episode on yesterday, the Johnny Cash one, and I head Nels say eh was locking up the store and it made m e think. Was it normal to lock up stores and houses back then?

Especially Walnut Grove. Not a big population, hardly any crime.

I'm pretty sure in the first episode Charles made a big deal that he put a lock on the door right?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, jason88cubs said:

So I had a episode on yesterday, the Johnny Cash one, and I head Nels say eh was locking up the store and it made m e think. Was it normal to lock up stores and houses back then?

Especially Walnut Grove. Not a big population, hardly any crime.

I'm pretty sure in the first episode Charles made a big deal that he put a lock on the door right?

I'm sure they locked up stores, always thieves and people who are desperate. I thought it was odd Charles got Caroline a lock because she was scared of coyotes or wolves....do they use door knobs?

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
9 hours ago, Quof said:

Fixed that

Why?

It's well documented that Melissa (born 1964) and Jonathan (born 1967) each had been borne by different sets of bio parents and then adopted in infancy by Paul Gilbert and his then-wife Barbara Cowan.

So?  Melissa doesn't call him "my adoptive/adopted brother".  It's an unnecessary adjective that doesn't add anything to the narrative and suggests that he is somehow lesser than a "real" brother.  If it's not meant to disparage, it certainly isn't used as a compliment. 

11 hours ago, debraran said:

I'm sure they locked up stores, always thieves and people who are desperate. I thought it was odd Charles got Caroline a lock because she was scared of coyotes or wolves....do they use door knobs?

lol right. who cares about strangers when you got wolves and coyotes on the prowl

• Like 1

Yes that line about the lock for animals was always weird to me, if he said a door vs curtain, I get it.

Alison answered a fans question about her TV brother attending other events and she said "He kind of liked it, maybe?|"  That sounds to me like what I would say about a food as a kid I didn't like much but didn't want to be rude.  : )

The recreations at the Simi Valley event varied but the store/little house were so good, I wish it wasn't hard to recreate them at others. So sad that Stan Ivor saved the facade of the little house in his barn but it is rotting I heard. Ed Friendly wouldn't let him give it to museum for some reason and now that he died, I don't think it's usable. You would think one of Mike's kids would have liked it for a playhouse.

How far was the journey from the closed blind school to Walnut Grove? I'm losing track of where the blind school was located and when. 

The blind school was in Winoka, a fictional town in the Dakota territory. If we use South Dakota as a proxy for Dakota (North Dakota would be further from Walnut Grove), then Winoka could be as little as 100 miles away if it’s in the eastern part of Dakota, or at least 400 miles away if it’s in the western part.

• Like 1
On 3/26/2024 at 8:01 PM, debraran said:

well they certainly did have their share of criminals in WG. Creeper who stole food. (boy who was town funded to go to med school, never returned) Frank and Jesse James. escaped convicts that hold Laura and Mary hostage, the Older Brothers, Black Jake, Little Lou, Laura (music box), Albert (drugs from package) etc.

So rightfully so to lock the merchantile.

I thought the " a real door" was addressing the wolves howling and "that locks and has a key" was more about keeping out Indians, but they didn't want to say that.

• Like 1