Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: A Pageant for the Prince

Reminder of Rules for Posting Here:

The rules here will be the same as they are for Orange is the New Black or another show that drops all at the same time:

1) Only talk about the specific episode in this thread, or reference things that happened in earlier episodes.  NO DISCUSSION OF THINGS THAT HAPPEN IN FUTURE EPISODES outside of spoiler tags;

2) Comments about the season as a whole, or that reference material from multiple episodes can be put in the "Season 1 Wrap-up" thread.  Or feel free to create character threads if you want to talk about a women (or several of them) individually.

3) All other threads (character threads, theme threads, etc. MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS WITHOUT SPOILER TAGS as people are allowed to discuss anything from any point of the season there.  So proceed with caution if you haven't finished the season.

Capiche?

I know, right?  It's like when I was in Rome a few years ago and spotted no fewer than TWO McDonald's within walking distance from my hotel -- it just seemed so wrong on so many levels (but the Baci McFlurries, on the other hand, were to die for)!

"American Food" boiled down to cliches is a real thing that exists as a food genre in a lot of countries, I've heard.  Usually it'll just be badly done hamburgers, hot dogs (chili dogs sometimes), American style French Fries, Onion Rings.  Typically that's the whole menu.

If they're ambitious, sometimes perhaps also milkshakes, a simulation of pastrami or corned beef (not that such simulations don't also exist outside of New York that are bad too).  Something vague called "BBQ" (sweet red sauce over something cooked on a flattop grill).  Buffalo Chicken Wings, Coleslaw, a Nacho platter, some kind of faux-bagel concoction (again, something Americans outside of one city are likely to get bad versions of themselves anyway).  Stuff like that.  Then the place will be decorated in a lot of faux-Americana (flags, a "50s look", a lot of Coca-Cola stuff). 

• Love 1

Oh, I absolutely believe there is a market for "American Food" all over the world, both for traveling/ex-pat Americans and for residents who want "ethnic" food (I read a Disney trip report where she kept reporting on "ethnic" food for BBQ and Hot-Dogs. She was British.)

But why would "Prince Harry" think this is something these girls would want? (And by "Prince Harry" I mean production.)

Well, that was a convenient way to get them to stop asking pesky questions:  "Please respect his privacy in family matters."

"I've been going commando this whole time in front of Prince Harry!"  Heh.

Oh the things you learn from this show.  For example, I had no idea that you could square dance by yourself.

Yeah, if anyone is an expert on "eye sex" it would be Meghan.  That sounds about right.

Gee a contest to see who can swallow a hot dog fastest. Subtle.

Also, Meghan, honey, don't pretend like you're not used to other girls hating you.  I've no doubt that happens wherever you go, but not for the reasons you think they do.

So, in light of what Maggie said about staying friends with "Harry" I'm wondering how they're going to handle revealing his true identity to the girls who have been eliminated.  Maybe they'll bring them all back for the final selection and reveal or something.  Oh, well, good thing I don't have to wait too long to find out!

• Love 1

This episode reminded me of a summer when I was about 11.  A new girl had moved into the neighborhood, and introduced us to playing "Beauty pageant".   We took turns walking down the "runway" in costumes, we sang, danced, did hula hoops, magic tricks, etc. 

I can say with confidence that our "pageants"  were more entertaining than the performances these girls put on.

This show is what i call "so bad it's good."   It really is a terrible show in many ways.   Yet I'm hooked.

• Love 2
(edited)

Geez, how much did Meghan pay for those boobs - they are all she talks about or references...."well other girls may want to be talented, but I need to put on a bikini so he can really see who I am!"  BTW - Babe was a pig, I wish she would just stop calling him that.

Oh and either Matt or Prince Harry is may find Kelley stalking them.  I think she is a nice girl, but there are some girls you just don't push over the edge in this way - and she is one of those women.

Edited by RealityGal
(edited)

That was the lamest talent show ever.  I burst out laughing when FakeHarry commented that they were more than pretty faces... most "talents" were some variations of a lap dance.  I didn't see anyone playing the violin or anything.

LOL poor Kelley expressing her love for the "people of this land" and touting her estate management skills.  She's just a kid yet she judges all others on their shortcomings as "ladies."

Poor Maggie will drink herself to oblivion if she is sent home.  Maggie, you wouldn't be a fun princess, you'd be an alcoholic princess in rehab.

I can't believe Meghan grabbing FakeHarry's keister at every opportunity.  "A pig going through a python" - that's the kind of comment that he might find mesmerizing.

Kimberley catching FakeHarry's attention by eating a hot dog the fastest... good grief.

Edited by Toaster Strudel

Does Kelly go through life relating all of her experiences to movies or just dates? First The Notebook and now Grease? Although gotta love Megan being offered the crown suite while wearing the tight pleather pants like Sandy at the end of Grease! "Harry's" got chills, they're multiplying--but not for Kelly!

(edited)

My Verizon FiOS finally got all the episodes! A day late and a crown short, or...something.

LOL poor Kelley expressing her love for the "people of this land" and touting her estate management skills.

Yeah, she must be confusing this with I Want to (Lady) Mary Crawley.

Kelley was on my last nerve during this episode, from her wide-eyed insistence that there "happened" to be an American diner in the middle of the English countryside, through her "seductive" licking of the BBQ sauce off her fingers. By all means, eat the burger however you want -- but don't conflate being messy with being sexy.

The producers must be salivating over her.

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 2
Kelley was on my last nerve during this episode, from her wide-eyed insistence that there "happened" to be an American diner in the middle of the English countryside, through her "seductive" licking of the BBQ sauce off her fingers. By all means, eat the burger however you want -- but don't conflate being messy with being sexy.

That entire dinner scene was pure comedy.  From the way Kelley asks, "Are you going in for the full bite?" and Matt's WTF expression before he quickly recovered, to her almost wistfully asking Matt "Are you going to join me on a ride?"  Like, don't you see him already getting on a ride?  Get a damn grip!  Loved Maggie messing with her, back off indeed.  Matt being so uninterested in Kelley was really cringeworthy, don't know how she suffered through that.

Jackie hamming it up when she won Miss Deerfield was funny, too.  "Shots for everybody!"

I enjoyed the hell out of this show,

except for the Queso-filled finale.

Ugh.

• Love 1

I actually think Maggie may have liked Matt for who he actually is, but the rest?  Nah.

I liked Maggie, I hope that in real life she doesn't constantly drink (there is an aspect to 'while being on vacation....').  I'll miss her.  

Wow.  Kelley is a 16 year cancer survivor from childhood leukimea?  Hope what's-his-name feels wonderful taking part in making her look a fool.

For her part, like, Kelley, like, is like, a good sport for having like a good time on her like friend-zone date, like.

"He would like you to continue to be the lovely ladies you have been."  Yeah, OK.

Sick of Not-Harry whining about how hard all this is for him.

The pagent sucked, and made all the girls look pathetic.  But Not-Harry had a good time, so whatever.  Same with the pajama party.

Meghan is horrible.

Not-Harry whinges some more.  Poor baby...

I like Maggie the most when she was being sent home.  She said right out that she didn't know who he was, but she was happy that he got that experience.  I would have kicked him in the nads, especially since he kept Meghan for the Crown Suite.

Wow.  Kelley is a 16 year cancer survivor from childhood leukimea?  Hope what's-his-name feels wonderful taking part in making her look a fool.

So TV shows shouldn't take advantage of people if they had cancer?  But otherwise it is okay?

During their date where she brought it up, he talked about how incredible she was, and she pushed back that he was incredible, and he said something like "no, I've never done anything on that level".  I think he showed respect for what she had to go through as a kid.

For her part, like, Kelley, like, is like, a good sport for having like a good time on her like friend-zone date, like.

"He would like you to continue to be the lovely ladies you have been."  Yeah, OK.

Sick of Not-Harry whining about how hard all this is for him.

The pagent sucked, and made all the girls look pathetic.  

I will give Kelley this, she managed to have a good attitude throughout that bullshit date of hers.  Everyone else got hot air balloons, boat tours, fancy dinners and a fireworks show.  Kelley got a sock hop and an old car.  Matt wouldn't even try to make out with her for the sake of the show.  Or maybe he knew that if he had any physical contact she might claim a pregnancy, or assumed they were engaged because she was obsessed.  Most everything about this show made the girls look pathetic, but I had a good time.

• Love 1