Type keyword(s) to search

Law & Order Discussion Topic (2019 - 2021)

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Chyromaniac said:

D.A. Melnick it is!

Dworkin.  I love Peter Jacobson but can't picture Dworkin as DA even tho I'd love it.  I wanted him to star in the now-defunct For The Defense.

I think this show should bring in one or two familiar face but it's also an opportunity to update the cast.  

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Chyromaniac said:

I could see Sam Waterston coming back for the premiere episode to “pass the torch” to whoever the new cast will be.  He doesn’t need to be the DA- shoot, maybe McCoy can be the trial judge- but he should be there in some capacity.  Maybe SEM can also cameo - heh, let’s make Van Buren the Chief of Police... 

You mean Sharon Goodwin from Chicago Med? :)

I'd love to see Angie Harmon back.  Make McCoy a judge and make her the DA.

• Love 2

I would love to see Linus Roche come back, I would definitely watch for him.  And SEM, and maybe Carey Lowell in guest appearances.   Ed Green returning would be welcome  I'm sure Jack would appear in the opening but I imagine he might be too old for the role now?

Edited by roseha
  • Love 4

I’m not a fan of retreads, but since I’ve lost interest in SVU & Organized Crime, I’m looking forward to this. I want a pairing of Barba & Carmichael. And I want Van Buren to survive her cancer. If you can’t give us Briscoe, Logan, Green, or Profaci, you can at least do that. 

2 minutes ago, Pj3422 said:

And I want Van Buren to survive her cancer.

Well, when last we saw her, she was in remission, or the cancer was gone. So I'm of the mind she's been enjoying life and retired. Merkerson was going to leave at the end of the season anyway. She had announced that before the media announced the show was being cancelled. So if we had gotten seasons 21 and 22...we would have gotten a new squad commander.

4 minutes ago, Pj3422 said:

If you can’t give us Briscoe, Logan, Green, or Profaci, you can at least do that. 

• Profaci is in jail, supposedly for turning and working for the mob (IT NEVER HAPPENED! EXILED NEVER HAPPENED!!!!!)
  • Briscoe also died (offscreen when Orbach passed)
  • Logan quit on Criminal Intent, for the lamest of reasons
  • Green is currently on the Flash, as I stated above
  • Love 6
21 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

All of the characters will have to be new, since the actors have all gone on to other stuff, the only one I could see returning is McCoy, but how would they explain him being DA when SVU has taken a gigantic shit on the DA’s office and made them look inept and corrupt?!

Pretty simply actually. They mostly just ignore it, write the characters as everyone but Leight and Martin sees them and maybe toss in a line of non-specific dialogue here and there about some elements in the department think the DA is a political hack, sellout, corrupt, etc. because they can't get guilty verdicts from their crappy cases. They probably would also mention McCoy left and came back without specifying an exact time frame as it would allow a little bit more flexibility in story telling if they wanted to reopen a cold case. But maybe they will simply ignore SVU like SVU ignores the rest o the franchise bringing in characters when they want to and otherwise going their own way. I guarantee Rick Eid is not worried about hurting Warren Leight and company's feelings. And ditto for most of the other writers they might bring back. Do you think Rene Balcer or Michael Chernuchin would worry about going in a different direction?

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

Do you think Rene Balcer or Michael Chernuchin would worry about going in a different direction?

Like I posted in the other thread about returning shows, I would be more excited if either Rene or Michael were in charge. Some of my favorite episodes were written by Balcer.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 5

It would be great if the show just completely ignored SVU the way SVU ignores the continuity of the franchise. I would absolutely love it if they got McCoy back as DA, but given that Waterston is over 80 I’m not sure if he would do it, he’s pretty much the only one I could see coming back in the same role. I think they will probably have to create all new characters - if they stick with the formula and ignore SVU’s crap, it could be good, but I’m afraid it will just be soapy trash given the shitfest SVU is now. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, roseha said:

Ed Green returning would be welcome 

2 hours ago, Pj3422 said:

Barba & Carmichael. And I want Van Buren 

Yes to all of these↑, please.
Plus, of course, some younger new characters.

I guess there might be a new L&O forum with episode threads?
Perhaps this one will be renamed something like: Law & Order: All Seasons

• Love 3
On 9/28/2021 at 5:37 PM, Gigi43 said:

I wonder if they'll actually be true to the original format? Probably not. OC isn't in the Law and Order style at all and the court writing on SVU these days when they actually bother with it is get the perp to confess, and Carisi gets yelled at for actually doing his job which I don't want to see prosecution get chewed out week after week (and if you bring back Cutter or McCoy they would never tolerate that shit.)

If they change the format the show will instantly fail. People will be tuning in to see a specific type of show....anything other than the traditional format will alienate the fanbase and piss off a lot of people. Me included

Edited by KHenry14
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I guess there might be a new L&O forum with episode threads?
Perhaps this one will be renamed something like: Law & Order: All Seasons

Ha.  I was just talking to another mod about this.  Since Wolf and NBC have twice abandoned plans for a spinoff, I'm going to wait until we get casting/start date before I request a full forum again.  I'm a little gunshy, especially since I think this has been rumored for years.  This is more concrete than the past rumors but still....

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

Ha.  I was just talking to another mod about this.  Since Wolf and NBC have twice abandoned plans for a spinoff, I'm going to wait until we get casting/start date before I request a full forum again.  I'm a little gunshy, especially since I think this has been rumored for years.  This is more concrete than the past rumors but still....

Definitely!!

Since we are talking about SVU may I nominate Alexandra Cabot for District Attorney?

I think they have to have at least one or two familiar faces. Starting a reboot of a show with no characters from the original will be a tough sell to viewers. 

• Love 2

From SVU, I would enjoy Cabot and/or Barba. From CI, Eames would be great. I know Sisto, Alana de la Garza, S. Epatha, and Noth are busy. So is Anthony Anderson. I know Jesse L Martin is on The Flash but I feel like that has to be ending soon...right? LOL. They have to have at least a couple faces from the original show's cast - Waterson, Harmon, Richard Brooks, Carey Lowell? Any of them available?

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

Yeah as I mentioned at the start of the conversation I fully expect NBC to manage to screw this up since there isn't any announced A-list star already attached. So it will probably follow the usual pattern of announcement, casting, etc. followed by an announcement that is postponed, but still in active development when they can't agree on scripts, casting, etc. Because we all know that Dick Wolf and crew can't possibly handle that without NBC' "creative" executives' input. Although in this case it's probably for the best since I'm fine with the reruns of what we have. At this point I'd be more interested in seeing them follow through with one of the previously announced spinoffs or going in a different direction like a Trial By Jury revival on Peacock or a UK version of Criminal Intent.

Edited by wknt3
  • Love 4
34 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

At this point I'd be more interested in seeing them follow through with one of the previously announced spinoffs or going in a different direction like a Trial By Jury revival on Peacock or a UK version of

I liked Trial by Jury and rewatched it a few months ago.  I would have loved to have had another season of Conviction. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ifionlyknew said:

I liked Trial by Jury and rewatched it a few months ago.  I would have loved to have had another season of Conviction. 

I would love to see a Trial by Jury reboot. It never got a fair shake, IMO. 

Maybe Bebe Neuwirth could come back as a DA .I would also like to see Eames back as the lieutenant since Van Buren probably retired. The senior roles, like the elected DA or first chair, or the lieutenant or captain, should be a returning familiar face and then everyone else can be new. 

• Love 2

I don't think Alex Cabot could be DA since SVU wrecked her by making her some vigilante, soooo...

But I'm torn. While I would like to see some familiar faces in this revival (assuming it happens and, after the last two spinoffs were approved then pulled, I'm not sold yet!), the overall shitty writing now seen on SVU and the awful Chicago franchise makes me fear those familiar faces would be ruined and put a black mark over their prior work.

So, as a fan of Alex Eames, just as one example, I'd hope Kathryn Erbe would stay far, far away. If there must be familiar faces, they could bring back Serena Stevens - if there must be a CI presence also represented - since she was only on a single season and I really didn't have strong feelings about her either way. LOL!

Or, maybe a bit more realistically, if Mare of Easttown does not come back, maybe Julianne Nicholson can reappear as Megan Wheeler.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

But I'm torn. While I would like to see some familiar faces in this revival (assuming it happens and, after the last two spinoffs were approved then pulled, I'm not sold yet!), the overall shitty writing now seen on SVU and the awful Chicago franchise makes me fear those familiar faces would be ruined and put a black mark over their prior work.

Yep.  I'm also personally not a fan of OC either.  I'm afraid it'll de-L&O the original or get them involved with these never ending stupid crossover events.  

I don't think I want any SVU people here--although I wouldn't be completely shocked to see Danny Pino pop up.  I don't recall how he left SVU but

Spoiler

I hear he's coming back for the 500th episode.

The more this is connected to SVU, the more this will be connected to SVU. 

I wonder if they'll try to get Jeremy Sisto but in the DA's office.  He was going to law school when the show was on last.  

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

I wonder if they'll try to get Jeremy Sisto but in the DA's office.  He was going to law school when the show was on last. 

Well, he has been on FBI original recipe since the show began. But since that is also a Dick Wolf show, maybe Wolf could entice him back to the L&O franchise. (The original FBI also has Alana De La Garza in its cast.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

Ooh. I like this idea. And if the first season doesn't quite work they can retool by having him quit the DAs office and go back to being a detective and bring over Rubirosa as the new ADA...

Well, he has been on FBI original recipe since the show began. But since that is also a Dick Wolf show, maybe Wolf could entice him back to the L&O franchise. (The original FBI also has Alana De La Garza in its cast.)

He probably would be willing if it could be worked out with CBS. And if Dick Wolf agreed not to make him shave this time!

Edited by wknt3
revised and extended my remarks
  • Love 2
On 9/29/2021 at 5:57 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Profaci is in jail, supposedly for turning and working for the mob (IT NEVER HAPPENED! EXILED NEVER HAPPENED!!!!!

Profachi, except for EXILED, was little more than a glorified extra.

Edited by Notwisconsin
  • Love 1
On 9/29/2021 at 8:15 PM, Xeliou66 said:

It would be great if the show just completely ignored SVU the way SVU ignores the continuity of the franchise. I would absolutely love it if they got McCoy back as DA, but given that Waterston is over 80 I’m not sure if he would do it, he’s pretty much the only one I could see coming back in the same role.

In real life, Manhattan DAs go on for decades at a time. Hogan (after a few months of a temp), succeeded Tom Dewey and Morganthau succeeded Hogan. Between the two of them, they served 50 years. Vance was DA for at least 12. So, an 80 year old DA is plausable.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Notwisconsin said:

In real life, Manhattan DAs go on for decades at a time. Hogan (after a few months of a temp), succeeded Tom Dewey and Morganthau succeeded Hogan. Between the two of them, they served 50 years. Vance was DA for at least 12. So, an 80 year old DA is plausable.

Oh yes I totally buy that there could be an 80 year old DA, and in universe Schiff was almost 80 (at least the actor was) when he left. I’m just not sure if Sam Waterston would want to come back full time given his age. But I really hope he does, seeing Jack McCoy back as DA would be awesome. 

• Love 2

I'm glad to hear it'll be the same formula, because it worked and it also set it apart from the others in a lot of ways (CI and SVU never really focused on the law/court aspect as much as the OG show did). 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Cristofle said:

I'm glad to hear it'll be the same formula, because it worked and it also set it apart from the others in a lot of ways (CI and SVU never really focused on the law/court aspect as much as the OG show did). 

Very glad to hear the formula will stay the same and will be 3 police 3 DA’s. This could be good if they stick to basics and write good characters without getting soapy. I hope to god they ignore what SVU has done shitting all over the DA’s office, and I would absolutely love for McCoy to come back as the DA, I really hope that happens, he’s the only character I could see from the original show staying as a main character.

• Love 1

Unless and until I see actual casting news, I'm still leery about whether this will actually happen. And once the other two spinoffs - that were pulled - were approved and talked up, with no casting news at all, this - so far - seems to be following the same pattern.

But time will tell how this shakes out.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

And once the other two spinoffs - that were pulled - were approved and talked up, with no casting news at all, this - so far - seems to be following the same pattern.

You know I sort of agree but I do think this is more likely to happen than the other two spinoffs.  I wonder if what happened with the other two spinoffs is that they came up with a concept, got it approved and then had a tough time figuring out how to execute the concept. Even we talked about what a defense L&O would look like.  A public defender's office?  A rotating group of defense attorneys?  I don't think they ever clarified before the show got axed. 

Personally, I think L&O: OC is a mess and probably only made it to TV because Stabler was a part of it. 

They won't have that issue with L&O.  Plus, people actually care about this revival. 

• Love 3
Just now, Door County Cherry said:

You know I sort of agree but I do think this is more likely to happen than the other two spinoffs.  I wonder if what happened with the other two spinoffs is that they came up with a concept, got it approved and then had a tough time figuring out how to execute the concept. Even we talked about what a defense L&O would look like.  A public defender's office?  A rotating group of defense attorneys?  I don't think they ever clarified before the show got axed. 

Personally, I think L&O: OC is a mess and probably only made it to TV because Stabler was a part of it. 

They won't have that issue with L&O.  Plus, people actually care about this revival. 

Oh, no denying any of this. But NBC burned me twice, so I'm just cynical by nature.  😎 Even with this revival, though, and the assurance that it will follow the old format, I do still fear the writing.

So I just hope it will buck the "reboot/revival that mars the original show" issue. If so? Awesome!

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

5 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Oh, no denying any of this. But NBC burned me twice, so I'm just cynical by nature.  😎 Even with this revival, though, and the assurance that it will follow the old format, I do still fear the writing.

So I just hope it will buck the "reboot/revival that mars the original show" issue. If so? Awesome!

I agree both with the skepticism and the worry although it is a real possibility that they get a number of the old writers back at least for an episode or two which would help. I don't think there was any insurmountable difficulty in executing the concepts on the part of the producers. What little news has leaked out has suggested that the difficulties were in casting - specifically that NBC insisted on micromanaging the casting process, and to a lesser extent that they were nervous about controversy and some of the proposed stories, which makes anyone with half a brain wonder why they would approve a concept that was inherently controversial. OC came packaged with a bankable star so it was easier to get it done. Or at least harder for NBC's "creative" executives to sabotage after the higher ups approved and announced it. And I fully expect them to try to do the same thing here.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, wknt3 said:

What little news has leaked out has suggested that the difficulties were in casting - specifically that NBC insisted on micromanaging the casting process,

Not the same show, but basically NBC doing what it always has. JAG was originally an NBC show--the brass didn't like Andrea Parker for some reason, so instead of her returning after the pilot, they cast Tracy Needham and added Andrea Thompson. Why the latter's character never got charged with sexual harassment, I'll never know/understand.

Point is, the network was interfering like it always wants to do and then cancelled the show after the first season. But luckily (for me and other viewers), Bellisario sold it to CBS, we got another 9 seasons, and that's all she wrote.

And I guess I really have been out of the loop: what other two spin offs tanked?

If they're sticking to the original formula, they need to get the original writers--the ones that are still around, and do NOT let any of the SVU "writers" or "producers" near this.

Rene Balcer REALLY needs to be involved. 

This show, at least in its early years, never shied away from controversial topics; it always sold itself as a "Ripped from the Headlines" show, but the early to mid years had nuance; as opposed to the latter years, for...reasons.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And I guess I really have been out of the loop: what other two spin offs tanked?

Not tanked. Greenlit by NBC for series, then yanked. Law & Order: For The Defense and Law & Order: Hate Crimes. The former was supposed to air this fall with the other two L&O shows but was then canceled instead.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Not tanked. Greenlit by NBC for series, then yanked. Law & Order: For The Defense and Law & Order: Hate Crimes. The former was supposed to air this fall with the other two L&O shows but was then canceled instead.

GOOD.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Not the same show, but basically NBC doing what it always has. JAG was originally an NBC show--the brass didn't like Andrea Parker for some reason, so instead of her returning after the pilot, they cast Tracy Needham and added Andrea Thompson. Why the latter's character never got charged with sexual harassment, I'll never know/understand.

Point is, the network was interfering like it always wants to do and then cancelled the show after the first season. But luckily (for me and other viewers), Bellisario sold it to CBS, we got another 9 seasons, and that's all she wrote.

I forgot about that! And not only 9 seasons, but the entire NCIS franchise too. Between that and FBI CBS should be paying royalties to NBC's programming department. It's not just NBC though. I've heard many TV writers and producers say that networks interfere more than ever, insisting on approval of details that previously were left to the show's staff. The only difference I've noticed is that CBS seems to be willing to get out of the way for folks like Chuck Lorre or Dick Wolf for that matter (with FBI) who have a track record and are making money. The other networks seem to care more about their prestige in the industry than ratings and profit at least at the level of those actually actively making programming and creative decisions. At least until their shows fail because the people they want to impress aren't watching network TV anyways and the creators who can do what they want to do would rather do their thing on streaming services or cable where they are actually allowed to make creative decisions. Heaven forbid you have a series that is popular with folks over 40 in the midwest that is rerun on cable for years and makes everyone involved rich or a sitcom that makes regular people laugh. Better to have 6 hours a week of America's Next A Cappella Sensation right?

If they're sticking to the original formula, they need to get the original writers--the ones that are still around, and do NOT let any of the SVU "writers" or "producers" near this.

Rene Balcer REALLY needs to be involved. 

This show, at least in its early years, never shied away from controversial topics; it always sold itself as a "Ripped from the Headlines" show, but the early to mid years had nuance; as opposed to the latter years, for...reasons.

And NBC has occasionally shied away from controversy with the franchise. Sometimes in stupid ways. Why would you approve a story about the Olympics if you aren't going to tell the complainers to shut up and use your money to wipe away their tears? As far as writers are concerned I am sure they can get plenty of skilled writers, both new and old. My fear with the writing is that they will be under mandates to do something other than tell the best L&O stories they can. And as far as nuance is concerned, I would argue that the even the later years had nuance. For example Bernard was quite nuanced in his views, usually socially conservative and economically populist with a libertarian streak that meant he was not always predictable in his reactions, but was still a fully developed character that was never just a way for the writers to make an argument or have conflict.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, wknt3 said:

I forgot about that! And not only 9 seasons, but the entire NCIS franchise too. Between that and FBI CBS should be paying royalties to NBC's programming department. It's not just NBC though. I've heard many TV writers and producers say that networks interfere more than ever, insisting on approval of details that previously were left to the show's staff. The only difference I've noticed is that CBS seems to be willing to get out of the way for folks like Chuck Lorre or Dick Wolf for that matter (with FBI) who have a track record and are making money. The other networks seem to care more about their prestige in the industry than ratings and profit at least at the level of those actually actively making programming and creative decisions. At least until their shows fail because the people they want to impress aren't watching network TV anyways and the creators who can do what they want to do would rather do their thing on streaming services or cable where they are actually allowed to make creative decisions. Heaven forbid you have a series that is popular with folks over 40 in the midwest that is rerun on cable for years and makes everyone involved rich or a sitcom that makes regular people laugh. Better to have 6 hours a week of America's Next A Cappella Sensation right?

And NBC has occasionally shied away from controversy with the franchise. Sometimes in stupid ways. Why would you approve a story about the Olympics if you aren't going to tell the complainers to shut up and use your money to wipe away their tears? As far as writers are concerned I am sure they can get plenty of skilled writers, both new and old. My fear with the writing is that they will be under mandates to do something other than tell the best L&O stories they can. And as far as nuance is concerned, I would argue that the even the later years had nuance. For example Bernard was quite nuanced in his views, usually socially conservative and economically populist with a libertarian streak that meant he was not always predictable in his reactions, but was still a fully developed character that was never just a way for the writers to make an argument or have conflict.

As I’ve said before, I think the Mothership was stellar for all 20 seasons and I agree that there was nuance throughout. I think if they revive the show, it could still be good if the writers focus on writing L&O stories and stick to the formula. Unfortunately, I’m afraid they won’t do that, and I’m afraid that modern day SVU will have an impact on this show, SVU has devolved into soapy crapola, and I’m afraid the writers for this show would take pointers from SVU and get overly involved in the characters personal lives. And please keep St Olivia far away from this show, she is like a black hole that sucks in other characters and drags them down.

• Love 3

I am torn on wether I want this to come back or not. Part of me wants it to be left alone because Briscoe, Greene & Anita were the perfect trio & that's where the show ended. But at the same time if they were to put in an all new cast & stayed away from the other L&O's I would be interested. I would love to see Reiko Aylesworth(24, Hawaii 5-O) as head prosecutor. She actually was up for the part of Olivia Benson but obviously lost out to Mariska. If Viola Davis wasn't so busy I would love to see her in the D.A. position. Amirah Vann could take over the VanBuren role. As far as the detectives I could see Rege-Jean Page(Bridgerton) & an older more seasoned actor as a good pairing.

I heard they talked to Anthony Anderson but no idea if that's going to happen or not. I hope not. 

3 minutes ago, Dancingjaneway said:

Part of me wants it to be left alone because Briscoe, Greene & Anita were the perfect trio & that's where the show ended.

Do you mean that's where the show ended for you? Because it didn't end with Lennie, Ed, and Anita. We had Lupo/Bernard and Anita in the series finale; with Mike/Connie as the ADAs and Jack as DA.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Dancingjaneway said:

As far as the detectives I could see Rege-Jean Page(Bridgerton) & an older more seasoned actor as a good pairing.

If Regé-Jean Page (Bridgerton) was cast as a new L&O detective, the ratings would be off the charts! LOL!
They could have their pick of sponsors. I wonder what company would win the product placement and commercial-break lotteries?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Do you mean that's where the show ended for you? Because it didn't end with Lennie, Ed, and Anita. We had Lupo/Bernard and Anita in the series finale; with Mike/Connie as the ADAs and Jack as DA.

Yes, that's what I meant. Sorry I wasn't clearer about that. 

On 10/7/2021 at 5:43 AM, wknt3 said:

What little news has leaked out has suggested that the difficulties were in casting - specifically that NBC insisted on micromanaging the casting process, and to a lesser extent that they were nervous about controversy and some of the proposed stories.

Do you have a source for that?  I'd love to read more.  I find it especially strange that they'd care about controversial stories. 

On 10/7/2021 at 7:31 PM, wknt3 said:

It's not just NBC though. I've heard many TV writers and producers say that networks interfere more than ever, insisting on approval of details that previously were left to the show's staff.

Network interference has always been a thing.  Read Ken Levine's blog (Writer for Cheers, Wings, Frasier...etc.) about how there were times he couldn't get the lead actress he wanted for a comedy because she was deemed "not fuckable enough."  

And in a counterpoint, Dick Wolf likely wouldn't have his empire if it weren't for network notes.  By the third season, L&O started falling back in the ratings.  The president of NBC at the time (Warren Littlefield) told Dick Wolf that if he wanted the show to be renewed, it had to have some female characters.  He added Anita and Claire.  Positional ratings started rising again and the rest is history.  

• Useful 5

based off this one thread about plots on a long running drama show and plots of far past episodes that wouldn't work now due to technology advances

what plots in L&O wouldn't really work now due to technology advances such as cellphones and computers or if they were written now how different would they be?

I wonder if undercovered would still happen or if the parents could just try a gofundme for their kid

if you were wondering about the thread, it was based off a semijoke idea where some teenager gets trapped in a hot car and nearly dies, people mentioned the problems with it even 3 years ago, i.e. the teen would almost certainly have a phone and could just call for help or just break the glass to escape unless it was an armored car

• Love 1
4 hours ago, balmz said:

based off this one thread about plots on a long running drama show and plots of far past episodes that wouldn't work now due to technology advances

what plots in L&O wouldn't really work now due to technology advances such as cellphones and computers or if they were written now how different would they be?

I wonder if undercovered would still happen or if the parents could just try a gofundme for their kid

if you were wondering about the thread, it was based off a semijoke idea where some teenager gets trapped in a hot car and nearly dies, people mentioned the problems with it even 3 years ago, i.e. the teen would almost certainly have a phone and could just call for help or just break the glass to escape unless it was an armored car

Any episode that used the “gay panic” defense, such as Manhood and Panic, wouldn’t happen now because NY has become one of several states to ban the gay panic defense.

For the most part the show holds up really well - sure there are some plot points in some episodes that are dated such as someone having to use a pay phone instead of having a cell phone or something like that in some episodes, but overall the show holds up really well. 

4 hours ago, balmz said:

As long as technology remains fallible, I think the old plots based on, for example, not being near a phone, can always be reworked to instead have a dead phone, or a phone crushed or shot by a villain. Having a wet phone is probably going to not be a plot point in the future.

Old plots (perhaps pre-dating L&O) in which no DNA was available can be replaced with "degraded DNA."

I can't think of any L&O plots where the technology was the focus to the degree of, say, the movie Phone Booth.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Any episode that used the “gay panic” defense, such as Manhood and Panic, wouldn’t happen now because NY has become one of several states to ban the gay panic defense.

For the most part the show holds up really well - sure there are some plot points in some episodes that are dated such as someone having to use a pay phone instead of having a cell phone or something like that in some episodes, but overall the show holds up really well. 

that's more a societal value thing rather then tech based

one example i recall is the episode with the biker gang and the girl who inadververtly got her abusive boyfriend killed when he wore their gang colors without being part of the gang, there's a scene with mccoy and i think ross when they talk to adam and they say they would have results if they didn't have to keep coming back to tell him things, nowadays they could just call him easily on  a cellphone

another example is virus with the kid who hacked the medical place's computer system and accidently caused several people's death, nowadays the kid almost certainly wouldn't be able to hack it unless he was a super genius at it and the episode didn't indicate he was, he was decent but with privacy laws it'd be a near impossible task

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, balmz said:

another example is virus with the kid who hacked the medical place's computer system and accidently caused several people's death,

Which episode would this be? If you're talking about Season three's "Virus", those deaths weren't accidental. He did it on purpose, because he fell for his father's lies and bitterness over dad going blind.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Which episode would this be? If you're talking about Season three's "Virus", those deaths weren't accidental. He did it on purpose, because he fell for his father's lies and bitterness over dad going blind.

oh i haven't seen it in  a long time, maybe i was thinking of something else, thanks for telling me,

• Love 1
21 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Yeah, manufacturing a virus and hacking into the hospital system and endangering diabetic patients lives was not an “accident” nor a “mistake” despite what that kid’s twat mom claimed. It was deliberate and he didn’t show a shred of remorse for it.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1

hmm my last post didn't really work did it? though i guess that shows the mostly timeless quality, also with manhood and panic, if they did air it today, they would pretty much HAVE to have the defendants found guilty on all charges and have the gay panic defense completely and miserably fail in court, also if the death penalty was still  a thing, likely they would be sentenced to death

here's a good one hopefully, what real life cases since it first went off the air would you like to see them cover? hopefully they could do it more subtly then svu does 

• Love 1