Type keyword(s) to search

Last Man Standing - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 1/25/2021 at 11:03 AM, seacliffsal said:

I have never liked the Jen character so agree with others that they should have just left that story line alone.  It also was very convoluted how they brought her back; they should have just focused on the story lines they already had going for the final season.  It did make me wonder though where she was staying in the house what with NuMandy , Kyle, and unseen children living there.

I also find it odd they completely dropped the fact that Kyle's dead mother left him all that land to build their own house 3 years ago and now with the time jump its 6 years. I mean seriously, they didn't need to be living there still. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, readster said:

I also find it odd they completely dropped the fact that Kyle's dead mother left him all that land to build their own house 3 years ago and now with the time jump its 6 years. I mean seriously, they didn't need to be living there still. 

Kyle and Mandy had their own apartment above the pot shop.  I guess they moved back because Mandy was scared raising a baby in this "scary" world.  Mike wanted to protect her.  At some point, you just have to let your children grow.

If they wanted a clean and clear reason why NuMandy, Kyle, and unseen daughters moved in (I guess to keep the idea behind the title that Mike lives in a predominantly female household), they should have had Kyle as a full-time student preparing for the ministry (so they could do college and seminary) so they moved back in to save money while he prepared for his career change (they had a few episodes that focused on him thinking about becoming a pastor).  That at least would reference prior stories and justifying the move-in.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

If they wanted a clean and clear reason why NuMandy, Kyle, and unseen daughters moved in (I guess to keep the idea behind the title that Mike lives in a predominantly female household), they should have had Kyle as a full-time student preparing for the ministry (so they could do college and seminary) so they moved back in to save money while he prepared for his career change (they had a few episodes that focused on him thinking about becoming a pastor).  That at least would reference prior stories and justifying the move-in.

Exactly, all the pieces are there, but sadly the writers don't think that way. 

• Love 1

If you're going to mention but not show children then why would you repeatedly only mention the two girls and not the boy.  It's not as if they have to recast the actor because they wouldn't be showing him anyway. Sara and Evelyn and constantly discussed but Boyd's name has only come up once.  It's becoming almost painful.  

Last week didn't Ryan and Kristen buy the house on Mike and Vanessa's block?  This week there was no mention of them moving at all.  There house had no moving boxes or any look of being in the middle of being packed up.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ShortyMac said:

K/R and K/M are getting the stupidest plots.

I have second-hand embarrassment just watching.  I could shoot the idiot box (my dad's favorite term for the television) whenever the Vanessa Baxter character darkens the scene.  For a once highly entertaining show to have devolved so badly is really a mystery to me.  I have to assume it's a writing thing, but I'm no teevee insider, so I couldn't say for sure.

Awful.  Just awful.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 2

I haven't watched the last two episodes and don't plan on tuning in again until the series finale, which is disappointing to me since this was one of my favorite shows during the ABC years and I still take the time to watch the repeats whenever I come across one.

• Love 3

So, they brought Jen back just to have her babysit while the parents are there?  

As much as I used to like this show, maybe they should not have come back if they could not get the ABC cast together (i.e. Real Mandy and Eve).  The substitutes just don't work (NuMandy and Jen)-they both seem too forced.  With production delays due to covid, they could have really worked on the scripts and make sure that the series went out strong.  Instead it feels like it is just limping along.  And, like the above poster, I watch the reruns as I enjoyed the earlier version of this show.  However, I will continue to watch until the end (it is just so hard for me to give up on a show that I have watched for multiple seasons even though I want to give up...).

• Love 2
On 1/25/2021 at 10:41 AM, Katy M said:

That house has always seemed like it had more bedrooms than should fit (especially since they seemed so large).  There's the master br, Kristen, Mandy, Eve, and Boyd all had their own rooms the first season, and I'm pretty sure (though not 100% positive, that there was a guest room).  That's 6 bedrooms.

In season one, Mike refers to it as a five bedroom house.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 2/6/2021 at 8:47 AM, seacliffsal said:

So, they brought Jen back just to have her babysit while the parents are there?  

As much as I used to like this show, maybe they should not have come back if they could not get the ABC cast together (i.e. Real Mandy and Eve).  The substitutes just don't work (NuMandy and Jen)-they both seem too forced.  With production delays due to covid, they could have really worked on the scripts and make sure that the series went out strong.  Instead it feels like it is just limping along.  

Pretty much as much as they did give a legitimate reason why Jen was sent back to the Baxters. She is pretty much doing what she has always been used for: a paycheck, a sound board to be Vanessa's Eve and to look in the camera with a: "Umm.... I hate this! Give me a paycheck!"

• Love 1
3 hours ago, eel21788 said:

In season one, Mike refers to it as a five bedroom house.

OK, so the guest room was a figment of my imaginatiion, but it still doesnt look big enough for 5 fairly large bedrooms from the outside.

44 minutes ago, Katy M said:

OK, so the guest room was a figment of my imaginatiion, but it still doesnt look big enough for 5 fairly large bedrooms from the outside.

Also, in the exterior shots, the garage is on the wrong side of the house.

I didn't really care for this most recent episode. The episodes seem to be kinda heavy this season. Mandy being afraid of the world we live in. Mike needing to protect her. People dying left and right. Joe feeling guilty because he blames himself for his mom dying. 

I get that entertainment reflects the world in which it was created but c'mon. Where's the com in this sitcom? I'm not laughing at anything this season. 

I think I may go back and watch some of the old seasons on Hulu.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Aryanna said:

I didn't really care for this most recent episode. The episodes seem to be kinda heavy this season. Mandy being afraid of the world we live in. Mike needing to protect her. People dying left and right. Joe feeling guilty because he blames himself for his mom dying. 

I get that entertainment reflects the world in which it was created but c'mon. Where's the com in this sitcom? I'm not laughing at anything this season. 

I think I may go back and watch some of the old seasons on Hulu.

I agree that this season seems so somber with very little comedy.  Another one is Jen worried about her dad because he's going to speak out against the government.  That's really heavy. 

I enjoy watching the old episodes especially with original Mandy.  I also like original Kristin but I've watched Season 1 a lot so I get sick of them.

• Love 2

This show's writing is so bad that I find myself getting angry at a sitcom instead of laughing.  The plot lines are awful, the acting is high school-ish, and I always mute the tv whenever the pointless Jen is on.  It should never have come limping back after it was cancelled.  

• Love 3

I've been involved in politics for a long time.  I have held paid staff positions and also elected positions.  We were regularly given ethics trainings.  Unless Colorado doesn't require the trainings my state requires, there is no way a Vanessa would not have been aware that what she was asking for could be considered quid pro quo by a casual observer. I don't even accept a cup of coffee from someone because you don't know what they will be asking for in return sometime in the future (and we are allowed to accept gifts up to $50).

Do Mandy and Kristen only travel in packs?

• Love 5

Instead of bringing back Jen, they could have let Boyd be a teenager with normal teen situations, and maybe even working part time at Outdoor Man.  It would have felt more organic than manipulating Jen back into the picture.  And hearing about the two granddaughters but never seeing them is just strange.  

I think I'm so critical because I used to love this show and it's so disappointing to see what it has become.

Edited by Suzysite
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 2/9/2021 at 1:36 PM, realdancemom said:

I enjoy watching the old episodes especially with original Mandy. 

I love original Mandy. She was such a fun and great character. And I loved her outfits. I also liked her storyline of being a dress designer. New Mandy is pointless and is like watching paint dry.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Suzysite said:

Instead of bringing back Jen, they could have let Boyd be a teenager with normal teen situations, and maybe even working part time at Outdoor Man.  It would have felt more organic than manipulating Jen back into the picture.  And hearing about the two granddaughters but never seeing them is just strange.  

I think I'm so critical because I used to love this show and it's so disappointing to see what it has become.

That's also how you know a show has just turned into crap. Plus, it's even more sad we as viewers or former viewers can think of better stories and actually "relevant stories" than bringing in a characters that A: The writers/producers ONLY like, they force said characters down our throats when everyone including critics go: "Why did you bring them back?" Plus you add in the fact they created these stories because they felt like they matter and then go ahead and just ignore them. They could have done more with Boyd now that he's a teen and a big brother. They could actually have both Ryan and Kristin realize now that they are older, things do matter, but maybe their views have been too one sided for too long. Have Mike realize he "won" the battle as Last Man Standing and it's time for him to just enjoy life quietly. 

• Love 5

Just watched last night's episode. Sigh.  Unfortunately, it started with Mike and his vlog in which he talked about how wrong it was to replace original products with substitutes.  Ahem, NuMandy, NuEve (Jen), NuKristen...

Jen continues to bother as she gets so angry at the same people with whom she is living.  If she's so upset, why doesn't she just move out and depend on herself?  This character continues to not make any sense as she over-reacts to everything.

As for the Chuck being arrested because he's black story, the weakness in that plot for me was that someone should have also called the police on Mike and Joe (they emphasized that they could do things and not get arrested as they are white whereas I think they should have been arrested as they were on someone's property and sneaking around checking out the car).  I get the story they were going for, but I just my issue is that I so would have called the police on Mike and Joe...  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 2/19/2021 at 8:33 AM, seacliffsal said:

Just watched last night's episode. Sigh.  Unfortunately, it started with Mike and his vlog in which he talked about how wrong it was to replace original products with substitutes.  Ahem, NuMandy, NuEve (Jen), NuKristen...

Jen continues to bother as she gets so angry at the same people with whom she is living.  If she's so upset, why doesn't she just move out and depend on herself?  This character continues to not make any sense as she over-reacts to everything.

As for the Chuck being arrested because he's black story, the weakness in that plot for me was that someone should have also called the police on Mike and Joe (they emphasized that they could do things and not get arrested as they are white whereas I think they should have been arrested as they were on someone's property and sneaking around checking out the car).  I get the story they were going for, but I just my issue is that I so would have called the police on Mike and Joe...  

Having to where it is 2023 on the show is also making things just... odd. They did it not really have to "deal with COVID" and to give them a place Tim Allen has constantly said: "So we can end the show on a good note and not suddenly." Then they do these stories and apparently the show has recently taped their final episode. It's like they tried to have it both ways, keep the show like it's going like any normal season, but also basically say they are trying to wrap things up and doing it on tired stories from the past or trying to fix in the "context" of current happenings. 

I liked this latest episode, though mostly the main story, with them having to end the restaurant and Mike asking Kristen to take over the store when he retired. She was smart to get him to commit to a specific time frame, and in writing. Aren’t there more stores or just the one? Also, what role does Ed have now? I know he left/retired then came back

18 minutes ago, DanaK said:

I liked this latest episode, though mostly the main story, with them having to end the restaurant and Mike asking Kristen to take over the store when he retired. She was smart to get him to commit to a specific time frame, and in writing. Aren’t there more stores or just the one? Also, what role does Ed have now? I know he left/retired then came back

There are multiple locations of Outdoor Man, and Kristen has been tapped to lead the corporation as CEO.  Will we see a change to Outdoor Enthusiast?  It would seem an appropriate change.

Ed is sort of like a Chairman Emeritus.  A figurehead who I presume doesn't actively do much beyond collecting income.

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 1

This latest episode of Mike going meat-less for a week had an undertone of friction between him and Vanessa that suggested an issue of her being too controlling

Sad that Mandy had pretty much given up her fashion business after becoming a mother. I'm not sure living with on her sister's property was any better than living with her parents

The Jeff Dunham ventriloquist storyline was cute but not much else

53 minutes ago, DanaK said:

This latest episode of Mike going meat-less for a week had an undertone of friction between him and Vanessa that suggested an issue of her being too controlling

Yet, they have argued for years that Mike wants things his way, and his way only to the point Vanessa has told him: "Why do you have to have EVERYTHING? I can't have something myself, when is it enough?" Or when they brought Jen on the show and she said: "No, I'm putting my foot down on this." Mike replies: "You can do that?" We've been depicted that Mike stuck in a world of women, wants to be himself, his views and he should "always" be right. 

On 3/5/2021 at 3:56 PM, DanaK said:This latest episode of Mike going meat-less for a week had an undertone of friction between him and Vanessa that suggested an issue of her being too controlling.

Sad that Mandy had pretty much given up her fashion business after becoming a mother. I'm not sure living with on her sister's property was any better than living with her parents

The Jeff Dunham ventriloquist storyline was cute but not much else

I noticed the friction too. It also felt like the actors aren’t that into it this season. The scene have a sad feeling to them this year and not funny like they once were.

• Love 1

This episode was very Jen-heavy, so ugh.  I mute the tv whenever she's on and there was a lot of muting.  Also, why have a story about how tiring it is to watch grandchildren and have no kids in sight, ever?  I guess I'll stick with this to the end but it's more of a chore than enjoyable.

• Like 1

The description for next week's episode is interesting:

Midwife Crisis
SEASON 9, EPISODE 12 • NEW

Mandy and Kyle decide to have a home birth -- at Mike and Vanessa's; Ryan and Chuck team up to construct a state-of-the-art crib.

Are they done with the whole "three years later" thing?

5 hours ago, Suzysite said:

This episode was very Jen-heavy, so ugh.  I mute the tv whenever she's on and there was a lot of muting.  Also, why have a story about how tiring it is to watch grandchildren and have no kids in sight, ever?  I guess I'll stick with this to the end but it's more of a chore than enjoyable.

Her voice grates on me, hard.  The faux Chinese accent is insulting to me and I'm not Chinese.  

On 3/12/2021 at 7:58 PM, iHateAmpersands said:

The description for next week's episode is interesting:

Are they done with the whole "three years later" thing?

No, my PVR description includes that this is a flashback during the pandemic. Hence the home birth thing. 

11 hours ago, jewel21 said:

No, my PVR description includes that this is a flashback during the pandemic. Hence the home birth thing. 

They said they had half of last years season finale filmed before the shut down and Allen even said they would eventually use the footage before the year was over to fill in some gaps. 

• Useful 4

Why did they bring back Jen?She adds nothing to this show.

I was sort of excited to see the title of this last episode and thought they might focus on the grandkids. They’ve saved some money by not having any child actors, but after a while it gets old hearing all those references to the granddaughters and not actually seeing them. Plus, it’s kind of sad how they’ve written out Boyd. He was a major storyline in earlier seasons and now it’s like he doesn’t exist. 

Since the last episode kept mentioning Vanessa’s age, I had to do a search for Nancy Travis’s age out of curiosity. She’s 59 and will turn 60 in September according to Wikipedia.  

I would be totally okay if they just had some shows centered around Outdoor Man and an occasional Vanessa and Kyle sighting but no daughters. 

Edited by Neiman

Regarding the flashback segment in Thursday's episode, I think a continuity error is that Mike didn't have a beard. The first episode of the season had him growing one as long as the pandemic lasted

Other than that, a fairly good episode, with the sisters bonding

• Useful 1

I guess it was good to get some background info and a glimpse of one of the granddaughters, but overall I thought this recent episode was a snooze fest. This season isn’t as good as the rest.

• Love 1

I liked this latest episode with Kirsten in temporary charge and Mandy pretending she was new at chess with Ryan. I did figure Chuck was likely talking to the Black shoplifters to get them on the right path before he told that to Kristen

• Love 4
16 hours ago, DanaK said:

I liked this latest episode with Kirsten in temporary charge and Mandy pretending she was new at chess with Ryan. I did figure Chuck was likely talking to the Black shoplifters to get them on the right path before he told that to Kristen

I thought Mandy pretending not to know chess and causing Ryan to go crazy was funny.  However, it also didn't make sense when it comes to original Mandy.  Original Mandy would not have spent every night playing chess with Mike.  There was an episode where they couldn't even find something that they had in common.  So they weren't playing chess when that episode was made.  Also based on that episode, Mandy also hates to lose so Mike would have let her win every time they played just like he let her win ping pong.  So Mandy would not have learned how to play chess well enough to beat Ryan.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, DanaK said:

Prior to the finale, Dever will also appear in the April 8 episode, where Eve comes home and struggles to connect with her nieces.

I'm going to guess we're going to only hear about it and not actually see it play out on screen.

• Love 1

I enjoyed this episode and it felt more like previous seasons.  Liked that NuMandy was able to "play" Ryan a bit (and then that Mike was going to do the same).  Figured what Chuck was doing but appreciated that they showed Kris was willing to ask questions even though it made her uncomfortable.  I wish that in real life more people would take time to help young people like they had Chuck doing in the episode.  

Again, why is Jen even there?  She doesn't have any role in the show-just one comment and out.

Liked the idea that Kyle wants his daughter to know that you'll not leave through revisiting the "rocket."

• Love 1
On 3/27/2021 at 11:25 AM, iHateAmpersands said:

I'm going to guess we're going to only hear about it and not actually see it play out on screen.

Man, you were so right about that. Why talk up the kids but not show them at all? Maybe for Covid reasons, but it’s annoying. Otherwise, I liked the episode. I wonder if Eve is considering having kids given how she bonded with her nieces?

• Love 2

I found Eve to be abrasive in recent seasons that she was featured, so I wasn’t exactly excited going into this episode. It turned out better than I expected, but find it somewhat annoying that there are invisible grandkids and no mentions of the grandson. 

Sort of surprised to see Eve’s bedroom like that. For some reason, I thought they had changed it a few seasons back. 

Glad there was no Jen in that episode. 

Sort of surprised with Kyle’s story because I thought he no longer worked with Outdoor Man.