Type keyword(s) to search

Friends - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Chandler’s room is the one that changed size. Look at it when he’s having his relationship with Aurora the married woman in season 1, it’s gigantic. Then it seemed to shrink after that.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Chandler’s room is the one that changed size. Look at it when he’s having his relationship with Aurora the married woman in season 1, it’s gigantic. Then it seemed to shrink after that.

That's because Joey sawed the wall out and moved it in a few feet and glued it back to the ceiling and floor so his room would be bigger.

• LOL 2

Why did Chandler need to think that Monica ran away and left him? I guess it was for the surprise that Monica proposes, but it doesn't even sink in. Joey tells Chandler, Chandler sounds like he's about to cry, and seconds later, he walks in to see Monica waiting for him. I feel like they could have spaced it out better if they were going that route.

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Mr. Meatball Man said:

Why did Chandler need to think that Monica ran away and left him? I guess it was for the surprise that Monica proposes, but it doesn't even sink in. Joey tells Chandler, Chandler sounds like he's about to cry, and seconds later, he walks in to see Monica waiting for him. I feel like they could have spaced it out better if they were going that route.

That fake-out is one of my least favorite things the show ever did. Like, it's supposed to be sweet that Joey made Chandler think Monica ran off, and then when she's there with all the candles, Joey smiles knowingly and we're supposed to go awww? And I guess it's ok because Chandler was doing some faking out, too (which was also over the top but not to the extent of running out of the damn relationship)? I don't think the writers thought that one all the way through. They wanted the surprise "reverse" proposal and didn't realize that it kind of made them all look like cruel tools.

IMO Chandler's "faking out" was stupid - like talking about pig sex at lunch - but as a viewer I enjoyed the Joey/Monica fakeout and still enjoy watching it when he walks in and realizes she's there and Joey gives that look 🥰

• Love 3
17 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

That fake-out is one of my least favorite things the show ever did. Like, it's supposed to be sweet that Joey made Chandler think Monica ran off, and then when she's there with all the candles, Joey smiles knowingly and we're supposed to go awww? And I guess it's ok because Chandler was doing some faking out, too (which was also over the top but not to the extent of running out of the damn relationship)? I don't think the writers thought that one all the way through. They wanted the surprise "reverse" proposal and didn't realize that it kind of made them all look like cruel tools.

Yeah, it's one of those things that make me understand why people are annoyed with all the praise that Friends gets. It's definitely a good sitcom, great replay value, but if we're just talking quality, it can easily get outshined by other sitcoms on their best day.

Since proposals are being talked about, you know one episode that I kinda don't like? TOW Phoebe's Wedding. It's not a horrible episode, and there's stuff in there I like (Joey taking on the dad role, Ross and Chandler competing to be one of Mike's groomsmen). It also looks great compared to the episode before it and the episode after it, two of the worst episodes in the history of the series. But the whole thing with Phoebe's wedding taking place right after a historic blizzard? Outside in New York City? Really? That has to be one of the worst ideas Rachel's ever had. In real life, nobody would waste their time with that nonsense. You would have thought that I would leave to go to a wedding in the freezing cold outside a coffee shop. If they were going to do that, couldn't they have waited a day for the snow to clear out? I don't see how something like that would even work in real life. 

It also doesn't help that Monica is horrible in the episode. I know the writers turned almost all of the main characters into cartoons, but it only worked when they did it with Ross. Monica becoming as OCD as she did wasn't funny, and then we're supposed to believe Phoebe was wrong for not wanting Monica to be the maid of honor? She was way too over-the-top with everything she did, even down to her delivery. She sounded like Mickey Mouse on helium half the time. 

• Love 1

I actually liked Phoebe’s wedding and thought it suited her and was romantic. Probably not practical but I thought it was Phoebe like. I didn’t like Monica’s wedding which was mostly about Rachel being pregnant and it didn’t seem like Monica got much of her dream wedding .

• Love 9
43 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I actually liked Phoebe’s wedding and thought it suited her and was romantic. Probably not practical but I thought it was Phoebe like. I didn’t like Monica’s wedding which was mostly about Rachel being pregnant and it didn’t seem like Monica got much of her dream wedding .

But Monica did get a photo of Chandler's first kiss with this lady.

18 hours ago, Mr. Meatball Man said:

You would have thought that I would leave to go to a wedding in the freezing cold outside a coffee shop.

Also, there weren’t that many people there, and Gunther had apparently closed Central Perk.  So couldn’t they have just … moved the chairs inside?

• Love 2

Some of the lines this show was able to get way with, at 8 p.m., on network TV, in the 90’s, make me giggle.

Joey gives Chandler the bracelet and for some reason asks about his sex life.  Chandler’s response - when I get used to the extra weight I’ll be fine.

Joey gets robbed and Chandler rescues him from the cabinet - Joey says you know what I’ll do if I ever see those guys again and Chandler’s indignant response was “bend over?!?”

• Love 3

I have this thing where any time I see or hear "frowned upon," I automatically think about the Elizabeth storyline. Just hearing Ross constantly put emphasis on "frowned upon." 🤣

And then it turns out it was never actually frowned upon, it was a straight up fireable offense. 🤣

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Mr. Meatball Man said:

I have this thing where any time I see or hear "frowned upon," I automatically think about the Elizabeth storyline. Just hearing Ross constantly put emphasis on "frowned upon." 🤣

And then it turns out it was never actually frowned upon, it was a straight up fireable offense. 🤣

That is a pretty funny bit 😄

12 hours ago, mojoween said:

Some of the lines this show was able to get way with, at 8 p.m., on network TV, in the 90’s, make me giggle.

I learned a lot of good stuff in that book "Generation Friends" I read.  Friends was on at 8, and Seinfeld was on at 9.  The Friends creators were so annoyed that they were watched by the censors way more closely than Seinfeld simply because they were on one hour earlier.  They kept trying to get dirty stuff past the censors but they were on high alert for this show.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Mr. Meatball Man said:

I think you mean it's...taboo.

(edited)

My girlfriend is rewatching season ten at the moment and man, there are some crappy storylines.

Joey learning 'French', which makes him seem so dumb I don't know how he dresses himself.

Ross and Rachel circling each other yet again, and that "with us, it's never off the table." *vomit*

Rachel having a job interview in a busy restaurant and freaking out because her boss is there. Then he fires her because she took an interview.

The whole dumb thing with Greg Kinnear as Charlie's creepy ex.

Some good stuff too, but the show was really creaking at the seams, in its last season.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Like 1
  • Love 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Rachel having a job interview in a busy restaurant and freaking out because her boss is there.

BTW, this exact plot happens in Mrs. Doubtfire.

2 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

This is actually one of my family's favourite storylines.  LOL

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 3
3 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

Rachel having a job interview in a busy restaurant and freaking out because her boss is there. Then he fires her because she took an interview.

My least favorite thing here (I FF through the line every time so I may mangle it) is when she tells the waiter she's meeting someone from Gucci but it looks like it's pronounced Gucky.  That's even dumber than Joey's French, which is saying a lot.

• Love 7
39 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Actor Mike Hagerty, aka Mr. Treagor, passed away at age 67.  Rest In Peace, bunny rabbit.

His ballroom dancing bit with Joey was a hoot. Loved him as Kurt Russell's buddy in Overboard, too. May he RIP!

• Love 6
On 5/5/2022 at 5:12 PM, Danny Franks said:

My girlfriend is rewatching season ten at the moment and man, there are some crappy storylines.

Joey learning 'French', which makes him seem so dumb I don't know how he dresses himself.

Ross and Rachel circling each other yet again, and that "with us, it's never off the table." *vomit*

Some good stuff too, but the show was really creaking at the seams, in its last season.

It's why I never understood people claiming season nine was the worst season. That season had episodes like TOW the Mugging, TOW the Memorial Service and TOW the Lottery. Joey still had some functioning brain cells, the jokes were still consistent, and I at least cared about what was going on. Season ten felt like a bad case of senioritis. It's like after Rachel and Joey broke up (after three episodes), they were just scrambling to the finish line with whatever ideas they hadn't thrown out yet. 

-Like I said, Rachel and Joey breaking up after three episodes. I know they were never supposed to be long-term and the cast hated doing the storyline, but why go through all that trouble reviving the storyline if they were just going to throw it out immediately? TOW Ross is Fine has this great scene where Ross finally accepts that Joey and Rachel are dating, and then the next episode, Rachel can't kiss Joey without slapping him. 😒

-There was Joey being so stupid, he couldn't write a recommendation letter to the adoption agency without sounding like a child. This guy was the minister for Monica and Chandler's wedding and now, he's having problems with words? It was also the same episode where Amy (a character I hate) came back. 

-TOW the Stripper, not only having a storyline where Joey acts like a buffoon on national television, but Ross apparently kissing Monica when he thought it was Rachel. It also has the worst-acted scene in the history of the series ("You were my midnight mystery kisser?!" "You were my first kiss with Rachel?!" "You were my first kiss ever?!?!").

-Monica acting like a complete asshole as Phoebe's wedding planner, then the episode framing it as if Phoebe was wrong to fire Monica. And them apparently having a wedding ceremony outside after one of the worst blizzards in years. 😒

-Rachel getting upset because Ross didn't want to take advantage of an uncomfortable situation by having sex with her.

-Ross acting like a big baby because Rachel didn't say goodbye to him. 

-The complete degradation of Joey as a character. By the series finale, he doesn't know that America and France are on different continents, genuinely believes the Chick and the Duck are on a farm somewhere (really interesting if you compare it to that scene in season one), and apparently never knew that Monica's apartment was painted purple. 

I will say this, though: Season ten had a way better Thanksgiving episode than season nine. I know that much. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Mr. Meatball Man said:

This guy was the minister for Monica and Chandler's wedding and now, he's having problems with words?

he should have said they were good at sharing and giving and taking.

8 hours ago, Mr. Meatball Man said:

not only having a storyline where Joey acts like a buffoon on national television,

I actually thought that was hilarious.  

• LOL 4
15 hours ago, Mr. Meatball Man said:

It's why I never understood people claiming season nine was the worst season

I love season nine, personally I find season eight mostly unwatchable. 

• Love 1
(edited)

3, 8, 10 are my least favourite.  I don't know what it is about 3!  It's a very odd season with only a few standout episodes.  

5, 4, 1, 2, 7 I like.  I think I like 6, but I also half don't.  (I worry the same about 4.  Do I like 4, or do I just like the Embryos/Haste episodes?)  That being said, I haven't watched some of these seasons in a long time.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I don't know what it is about 3! 

I think it's too much Ross and Rachel drama.  From the over-the-top jealousy, to we were on a break, to who gets which friends in the divorce.  Ugh.

• Love 3
(edited)

I can't remember enough about what happens on which season to be able to rank them like this, and am amazed that you all can 😆

All I know is I don't like a lot of Season 1 (too much Early Installment Weirdness and trying to be a Serious Show), and can't stand the first half of Season 2, where they were flush with success and dialed everything up to 11 to try to live up to the Friends Phenomenon (and tanked Phoebe's character by getting too enamored with the idea of "wouldn't it be funny/shocking if sweet, spacy Phoebe acted like a b****?")

Edited by tracyscott76
Left an asterisk out of b**** lol

I feel like they didn't really have Phoebe being nasty until after she gave birth.  I don't know.  I could be remembering it wrong.  I remember the stuff particularly about Chandler and Monica getting together and Phoebe making all sorts of underhanded comments about it.  That's something I didn't really like about Mondler.  Everyone implying Chandler was so lucky to have Monica and Monica agreeing.  It just felt so unbalanced.  Phoebe told Monica she found her dream man after Monica was already comfortable with Chandler and even introduced them.  

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I feel like they didn't really have Phoebe being nasty until after she gave birth.  I don't know.  I could be remembering it wrong. 

That's how I used to remember it, too, but after seeing a string of Season 1 and 2 episodes in reruns a few years ago, I was struck by how harsh and unpleasant Phoebe was at the beginning of 2. To be sure, she still had her sweet moments after that, particularly during the stories about her family, but she was never the same after Season 1.

3 hours ago, Katy M said:

Season 3 is my least favorite.  That's right I said it.

I think I prefer season 3 to season 2.  Not a fan of Ross/Rachel or Monica/Richard so late season 2 has a lot I can't stand.  

My favorites are 5, 6, 9, 4 and 7.  

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

That's how I used to remember it, too, but after seeing a string of Season 1 and 2 episodes in reruns a few years ago, I was struck by how harsh and unpleasant Phoebe was at the beginning of 2. To be sure, she still had her sweet moments after that, particularly during the stories about her family, but she was never the same after Season 1.

Joey dramatically changed after S1 also.

3 minutes ago, partofme said:

My favorites are 5, 6, 9, 4 and 7.  

Yeah, I think these seasons have the most outlandishly funny moments.

I like some random episodes here and there.  Like I said, I like the Greg Kinnear stuff in 10.  I like Ben Stiller guesting on S3.  I like the Jon Favreau stuff except I hate where he's the Ultimate Fighter.  That feels so ridiculous (although maybe would feel more normal today).  

41 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Everyone implying Chandler was so lucky to have Monica and Monica agreeing.  It just felt so unbalanced.

I love Mondler, they're in my top 2 favorite ships of all time but this was definitely annoying.  Chandler is a classically handsome guy(MP's drug related weight fluctuation not withstanding) and he has a well paying job through most of the series.  He's a great catch.  Anyone would be lucky to have him.

I see the Monica agreeing part though as more about Monica thinking she's a catch rather than anything negative about Chandler.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, partofme said:

I love Mondler, they're in my top 2 favorite ships of all time but this was definitely annoying.  Chandler is a classically handsome guy(MP's drug related weight fluctuation not withstanding) and he has a well paying job through most of the series.  He's a great catch.  Anyone would be lucky to have him.

I see the Monica agreeing part though as more about Monica thinking she's a catch rather than anything negative about Chandler.

Yeah, I guess it's supposed to be rooted in the other 5 Friends thinking Chandler is not a catch at all, but it's hard when obviously so many of the fans adore him.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Yeah, I guess it's supposed to be rooted in the other 5 Friends thinking Chandler is not a catch at all, but it's hard when obviously so many of the fans adore him.

Its maddening because it feels like it's how the writers see him, but then why did they cast someone as good looking and charming as MP in the role?   And if you ignore his looks and his personality, it's clear Chandler has money, so the in show universe claim that Chandler is not a catch makes no sense whatsoever and just defies reality.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, partofme said:

Its maddening because it feels like it's how the writers see him, but then why did they cast someone as good looking and charming as MP in the role?   And if you ignore his looks and his personality, it's clear Chandler has money, so the in show universe claim that Chandler is not a catch makes no sense whatsoever and just defies reality.

I always thought it was because of his relationship phobias

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, princelina said:

I always thought it was because of his relationship phobias

Yeah, that and he has a low self-esteem when it comes to the opposite sex, making him super awkward.  He pulls off awkward in the most charming way most of the time, but it's there, and he knows it.

• Love 4

I've been watching on-and-off since Thanksgiving, and I hadn't remembered them making so many mean comments about each other. 

I was on Rachel's side, in the "we were on a break!" story line, but Ross cracked me up with his comment that he would have no trouble sleeping. "I still have your letter!!"

• LOL 12

They really did make Joey too stupid, in the last seasons. I don't think I was watching every episode, at this point in the series, when it aired. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I remembered more Phoebe lines that I like:

"I won!"  ...... "On a totally different bet."

And

"It's going to be okay, Phoebe."
"Will it?  Will it?" 

I'll be honest, I don't know the context.   The first one is probably Rachel and Phoebe making some kind of bet about Monica and Chandler.  The second sounds like Ross trying to calm Phoebe down.  

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I remembered more Phoebe lines that I like:

"I won!"  ...... "On an entirely different bet."

And

"It's going to be okay, Phoebe."
"Will it?  Will it?" 

I'll be honest, I don't know the context.   The first one is probably Rachel and Phoebe making some kind of bet about Monica and Chandler.  The second sounds like Ross trying to calm Phoebe down.  

It was Joey when Phoebe found out she was 1 year older than she was.  I have no idea on the bet thing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I found it:  The One In Vegas - Part 1

Monica: The strange part was, (Richard) was really nice, umm and he looks great, but I didn’t feel anything at all!
Phoebe: Ooh! So now why can’t we tell Chandler?
Monica: Because it would totally freak him out and tomorrow’s our anniversary. I just don’t want anything to spoil that.
Phoebe: Oh, I can’t believe you guys lasted a whole year!
Monica: I know.
Phoebe: Wow! I owe Rachel 20 bucks!
Monica: What?
Phoebe: On a totally different bet.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

There’s another Phoebe moment that I don’t remember the context of but it always cracks me up.  Rachel is upset about something and Phoebe pats her head as says ‘awww Pheebs’.  Rachel’s like ‘huh? You’re Pheebs’ and Phoebe says ‘oh I thought that just what we call each other!’

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 5/24/2022 at 11:19 PM, Anela said:

They really did make Joey too stupid, in the last seasons. I don't think I was watching every episode, at this point in the series, when it aired. 

I feel like the best version of Joey's character was in the first four seasons, when he was a little slow, but not cartoonishly stupid. He wasn't a manchild, he was an actual adult who had childish moments. He had insecurities and fears like everyone else. And it didn't feel like everything he said was just setting up a punchline.

But honestly, I don't think Joey's character really started to get worse until season nine. By that point, there were a couple seasons of him getting progressively dumber, but some of his most memorable moments came from there. The stupid jokes he would get were borderline weird and that's what made them hilarious, like "Thursday - the third day" and "moo point." They stopped writing him with any kind of logic and that's what made his character worse.

2 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

There’s another Phoebe moment that I don’t remember the context of but it always cracks me up.  Rachel is upset about something and Phoebe pats her head as says ‘awww Pheebs’.  Rachel’s like ‘huh? You’re Pheebs’ and Phoebe says ‘oh I thought that just what we call each other!’

I love this joke because of how stupid it is. Why would Phoebe think that? 🤣

I feel like you can put thought into writing a stupid joke or making a stupid character. It doesn't just have to be "character said or did something really stupid, laugh at it."

Edited by Mr. Meatball Man
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Kiki777 said:

It's on Youtube, from Season 4, when Phoebe was pregnant:

4 hours ago, Mr. Meatball Man said:

But honestly, I don't think Joey's character really started to get worse until season nine. By that point, there were a couple seasons of him getting progressively dumber, but some of his most memorable moments came from there. The stupid jokes he would get were borderline weird and that's what made them hilarious, like "Thursday - the third day" and "moo point." They stopped writing him with any kind of logic and that's what made his character worse.

These are both classic.  Everyone uses moo point now - I think even people who don't watch "Friends". But I'm so glad you brought up "Thursday - THE THIRD DAY" because I feel like that's so underrated.  My brother and I use that constantly.

To go along with this, another one of my favourites is how Joey doesn't understand air quotes.  When he uses them and says "I'm sorry" to Ross.  That's hysterical.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

When Ross and Phoebe were walking through the hospital talking about Joey proposing to Rachel, Ross was eating a sandwich.  Ew, for two reasons - he was getting bread crumbs all over the hospital, and hospital germs were getting all over the sandwich.

On 6/4/2022 at 9:36 AM, Mr. Meatball Man said:

The stupid jokes he would get were borderline weird and that's what made them hilarious, like "Thursday - the third day" and "moo point." They stopped writing him with any kind of logic and that's what made his character worse.

Moo point is a great quotable line; we use it all the time.

And I don’t think it makes Joey sound irredeemably stupid; I can actually see how people who aren’t well-read might not know the word “moot”. Plus, I could see Phoebe saying moo point just as easily as Joey. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, mojoween said:

When Ross and Phoebe were walking through the hospital talking about Joey proposing to Rachel, Ross was eating a sandwich.  Ew, for two reasons - he was getting bread crumbs all over the hospital, and hospital germs were getting all over the sandwich.

Agree. Every scene with Ross eating grosses me out. His eating style is just as manic as his personality IMO.