Type keyword(s) to search

Family By The Ton - General Discussion

• Start Topic

58 minutes ago, IvySpice said:

Fat floats, just like oil on top of water. The higher your body fat percentage, the more buoyant you are. They basically have 300 extra pounds of life preservers around their middles. They may have been in danger in the pool for other reasons, but they probably couldn't get to the bottom if they tried.

Yes I was about to say, fat peiple don’t sink!! Floating is very very easy for heavy people. I can float like a champ. 

Water activities are probably the best for them as a safe method to exercise. 

• Love 6
On 1/10/2019 at 12:11 PM, IvySpice said:

Casey's mom is both fatter than I expected (given how strict she supposedly is about Casey's diet) and richer than I expected.

Casey's mother's upper arms looked like those of a formerly obese person who lost weight (not normal aging).  That is one woman who sadly exercised poor judgement wearing sleeveless tops.

• Love 1
On 1/9/2019 at 10:12 PM, Hellga said:

Casey is only 711?  I would have thought he is more around 800-850.  He is also incredibly unpleasant in his voice, manner, everything about him is just icky.

I had the same thought.  We've all watched WAY too many 600 Lb. shows.

• Love 4

Regarding Dr. Procter and his willingness to do WLS on super morbidly obese people, does this mean that there are many more doctors joining the ranks of Dr. Now? I believe that, for the longest time, Dr. Now was the only surgeon in the USA willing to take on 600+ pound patients.

I do remember that last year on the show One Ton Family, a family of three--two sisters and a their brother--it was mentioned that there was a doctor in their state, Louisiana, who also performed the same types of surgeries as Dr. Now. During that show, it was mentioned that he and Dr. Now were the only two surgeons in the country taking on these types of patients. Just wondering how many more doctors are willing to do this which I think is great since Dr. Now will probably be retiring in a few years and the people who really need help can have more options.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, auntjess said:

I had the same thought.  We've all watched WAY too many 600 Lb. shows.

Hey heh auntjess, regarding Amy, do you or anyone else here marvel at the fact that in the beginning she was "only" 379 pounds? We may have all watched way too many of these shows indeed! 😱

• Love 11
On 1/9/2019 at 7:32 PM, Hellga said:

Ugh.  Sausages swimming in something are not healthy food!  Lean cut of meat is way better than any sausage.  Sausage is at least 20% fat, sometimes as much as 50%!

So it's not the fat that's the problem per se.  It's the nitrates, processed meats of who knows what, and sugar drenched sauce!

Everyone keeps talking about the evils of eating fat, but it's been proven over and over again that processed food and sugar is the real issue.   It's a bit self-congratulatory to say that the nasty fat on steaks you don't touch is why you aren't like these people.  @libgirl2  Also, taking off the fat off meat before cooking, causes it to dry out faster and not retain flavor and juices. 

Over 40 and killing myself at the gym did not work for me, even when I thought I was eating clean.  Cutting out all processed food and added sugar did.  I was close to 180 at 5'7 and now 149 without even dieting or calorie counting.  Someone told me about Whole30, which helped me get started.  Now I mostly eat Primal and don't worry about cutting off the fat.  Full fat cottage cheese, and the rest is better than processed fat-free versions.

Edited by pwdrpuff
  • Love 4

I don't live in America but do people really circle up, put their hands in, and shout "Family!"? Maybe just these folks.

At first I thought Ed and Casey were equally jerktastic, but Ed is showing all kinds of layers. I was sincerely impressed when he confessed he quit his job as a firefighter because he knew he wasn't able to do his job properly at his weight/physical condition and it could put somebody's life at risk. That's actually noble.

• Love 7

I'm tired of the cliff hanger of some kind of emergency for the ending of the episodes.

My guess is that Ed got retired from the fire department, because he couldn't pass the physical performance tests any longer.      Every professional fire department I know of requires physical training regularly, and passing the required performance tests to still be a firefighter.    

• Love 6

He is not even sitting on that couch in the doctor's office, he is almost melting off it onto the floor.  Is he even physically capable of sitting anymore?

Just now, hoosiermom said:

He lost .4 of a pound?

Must have peed before the weigh-in.  Even a bowel movement would have been more!

• Love 7

If you're really committed to weight loss to save your life Amy, then you dump all of the no-no items, you don't keep them in the fridge for when you are feeling like cheating.   By the way, Amy's friend, Nicki shouldn't be eating that junk either.  She's almost as big as Amy is.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 15

Yay for fridge clean-up!   That's not just a good step towards eating better, but there is something cathartic about the act of getting rid of stuff.  Pity Amy did not do the tossing herself, it would have been better for her than bashing the scale with a baseball bat in the last episode!

• Love 7

I've never watched this show before...what am I in for?  Are all these people really related?  Seems a bit more face-paced than My 600-lb Life.  And by "fast-paced," I mean "the people talk quickly and don't do long drawn-out voice-overs that say the same thing over and over again."

• Love 4

They're all cousins, but Amy and Amanda (the first one to get surgery) grew up more like sisters.  

Ed is such a liar.   He was laughing about his wife losing the weight after surgery, and keeping it off.    Throwing her under the bus is mean, and nasty, and they need to stop feeding the kids too much.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 10
Just now, 88Keys said:

I've never watched this show before...what am I in for?  Are all these people really related?  Seems a bit more face-paced than My 600-lb Life.  And by "fast-paced," I mean "the people talk quickly and don't do long drawn-out voice-overs that say the same thing over and over again."

Hmm.  "what am I in for?"  Well, I haven't stopped thinking about the image of Casey bathing in an actual pig trough on a 2nd story, wooden-slat deck.  With Dawn as soap.  So that's one element.  Amy--the meal prepper--is a kindergarten teacher and seems primed for success.  Not clear who is related to whom.  

• Love 5

Amy is the meal-prepper?  Has she had surgery yet?  Because she doesn't seem that big to me.  I mean, she needs to lose weight, but she doesn't seem like she needs surgery or she will die or anything like that.  She's also well dressed and wears make-up and stuff, which is a nice change of pace (again, I'm used to My 600-lb life poundtestants).  

• Love 9
Just now, 88Keys said:

Amy is the meal-prepper?  Has she had surgery yet?  Because she doesn't seem that big to me.  I mean, she needs to lose weight, but she doesn't seem like she needs surgery or she will die or anything like that.  She's also well dressed and wears make-up and stuff, which is a nice change of pace (again, I'm used to My 600-lb life poundtestants).  

No surgery yet for Amy.  And yes, she is still mobile, working, etc.--not a 600-pounder!

5 minutes ago, Hellga said:

Yay for fridge clean-up!   That's not just a good step towards eating better, but there is something cathartic about the act of getting rid of stuff.  Pity Amy did not do the tossing herself, it would have been better for her than bashing the scale with a baseball bat in the last episode!

Unfortunately what I just tossed was the blackish bananas on my counter. :(

• Love 1
Just now, dreadfulLeigh said:

Have they shown a picture of Ed’s wife before wls?

I think they might have last week?

Just now, hoosiermom said:

Fed my dogs, changed my underwear and got a fresh glass of ice water. I am set!

Were they dripping too much gasoline?

• Love 5

Wow, that prick just threw his wife under the bus! It's her fault for buying the food. Ick.

Oh gee, he's only 441 pounds!? I hope doctor is providing him with an actual written diet and not trust that he is going to stick to a low carb, 1500 calorie diet. Remember, the wife said "He can snack on FRUIT."

Edited by DC Gal in VA
Stupid autocorrect!
  • Love 3