Type keyword(s) to search

Ghosts of GH Past Viewing Party: '80s, '90s, And All Eras Of Non-Suckitude!

• Start Topic

The problem with RonC was that he used historical facts from better eras ... but didn’t use it to create good stories. We got a lot of kidnapping and sadism and convoluted weirdness.  

Peter sucked as a character, and was mostly there to create some plot points ... but he was in a sweeping multi-character adventure and romance story that had some serious and darker elements.  The Levi stuff was just not even particularly interesting or part of a bigger, better story.  

• Love 3

Felicia and Frisco flirt at Kelly's (every cute young couple had to wait on tables at Kelly's back in the day, apparently!).  More commentary on Robert's hacked-off hair - this time from the district attorney, LOL.    Ginny's lawyer has to explain to her that dressing like a glamorous diva at her murder trial is a bad idea.  

There are more than a few scenes where Sean is obviously attracted to Felicia ... then mentions that she's young enough to be his daughter or is like a daughter to him.  Eeeeeewwwwwwww.   

• Love 1
20 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Like the later Ice Princess story, it had a pretty strong internal logic, something desperately lacking on the show today.

Do you mean the original Ice Princess story? Because that was in 1981, and the Aztec Treasure story in 1984.

• Love 1

Oops, I do mean the original IP story. Thanks for the correction, @UYI. A lot of the big umbrella stories back then were pretty nutty when you looked at them objectively, but the writers did the work to give them a strong foundation, so at least what happened in the context of the stories made some sense. These days it's all about getting to the next plot point, and who cares if nothing makes sense. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Ice Princess starts out as a fairly believable mystery... and then gets progressively weirder and more science- fiction-y as it goes along.  So by the time the weather machine is unveiled, the viewer is already invested in seeing the story to the end, and invested in the characters.  

I mean, it’s still completely insane, but it’s enjoyable and you slowly get pulled along into the madness.    

So far in my little ‘80s viewing project, the only adventure story that didn’t work at all was the David Gray weirdness about holograms and trying to explain Laura’s disappearance the first half of 1982.   

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 2
(edited)

Someone mentioned Carly's apology to Bobbie about Tony after his death in 2006 in the main episode thread. Here it is.

I actually really like these scenes, even if what Carly is doing is the definition of "too little, too late." She was right to ask whether she should even be at the service, though. That is definitely a fair question to ask after all the destruction she caused. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 5
(edited)

For some reason I think Tristan looks so different with short hair. I like it though...

I guess Anna had this hairstyle as at this point she was still a bit murky. This is very noir hair.

It's always weird seeing Brian and Claudia in later years. 

"Oh my God...the Swede!" I wonder if Finola and Tristan had some laughs over that dialogue.

How long did the Qs have that maid?

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 1

Which Q maid, Stella?  Stella was great!  She's around from at least 1979 (she helps with the surprise! birthing of baby AJ in the mansion) to sometime in the mid to late 80s, I think. 

Here's a fun Q clip -- for reasons that are insane, the Qs are taking turns pretending to be relatives of Leo the sleazy masseur's blackmail victims and and calling Leo up to threaten him (they actually want him out of town for reasons that involve protecting their money, because of course).  Alan's attempts at acting are hilarious - he ends up sounding like a muppet.

(Also there's some pointless crap about Ginny, which I kinda skipped.   Also, in a mind-numbingly stupid move, Felicia goes off to meet her creepy undead known-murderer fiancee Peter in an isolated area.  Like ... in what universe does it make sense that she would not call Robert, her pal the police commissioner, immediately?   This is not one of her finer moments ...)

• Love 2

So, at this point in the story, one of Sean's henchmen has shot Tony in the head (Tony was trying to help an injured Peter, after Felicia stupidly agreed to meet Peter and then called Tony for help, and said henchman overheard Peter telling Tony that Sean has the treasure).  Tony is in a coma, Frisco blames Felicia for putting Tony in danger and they are now broken up ... and now the henchman has set up an elaborate scheme to finish Tony off before he can wake up and blab about Sean having Felicia's treasure.  The plan involves causing an epidemic of food poisoning, setting off smoke bombs in the air vents and just general chaos in the hospital.   And Robert is freaking out because he senses the chaos is somehow related to whoever tried to kill Tony the first time.  

Anyway, some interesting stuff here.  Also, by the end of the clip Frisco does one of the dumbest things I've ever seen him do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc-dlzS0pAA

• Love 2
(edited)

Sad news....  Jeanna Michaels died on June 14th.  She played Connie Townley on GH, Robert's WSB partner in the Prometheus Disk storyline and Bobby Ewing's efficient secretary, also named Connie.

She and Luke were involved for the entire Prometheus story and every time they kissed she gave him a tonsillectomy. 

The second they knew Genie Francis was coming back to the show for six weeks (when Luke became Mayor), they packed Connie off to another WSB assignment and she was never mentioned again.  She had lymphoma.

Fullscreen capture 6252018 60421 AM.jpg

Edited by TessHarding2
  • Love 2
(edited)

Aw, sad news about the actress who played Connie.  A short-lived, but pretty good character in one of the most under-rated stories in the show's history (Prometheus Disk).

Here are the first Robert / Anna scenes, back in 1985 ... interestingly, she actually tries to warn him (twice, in these scenes and then in a later scene) that Sean is tricking him.  But Robert is pretty cruel to her and she then devolves into psychotic jealousy after seeing Robert and Holly together, so, oh well!  LOL.  

Robert could have saved himself a LOT of agony in 1985 if he'd let Anna warn him about Sean and, later, told Holly the truth instead of just standing there screaming internally while Anna MOVED INTO HIS HOUSE and befriended Holly (pretending to be an old friend of Holly's annoying nanny) and proceeded to mess with their lives.  

But at this point, Robert and Holly desperately needed a shake-up since they'd been in a holding pattern throughout most of 1984, so Soap Opera Writing 101 dictated that he handle this in the worst way possible.  And Anna has a great creepy film noir vibe when she first hits town.   Which maybe is part of what throws Robert off his game a bit -- at times she seems sincere, and at others she's clearly just fucking with him.  And he has no idea how to deal with it, so he just sort of shuts down which, of course, doesn't help poor nice '80s version Holly.

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 1

^^ I'm glad you mentioned how good The Prometheus Disk story was.  It was a real story with a beginning, middle and end.  It took a long time, had a lot of players and it was intriguing.

The early Anna and Robert was so great.  The music they used for Robert's first flashbacks still makes me jump.  Funny thing about Robert always wanting to protect Holly.  I guess Holly brought out his protector side but Holly was strong and always up for anything.  She wasn't afraid of anything.  She hated being bored, playing dress up and having lunch.  She complained about it a lot but Robert always put his foot down really hard.  She should have had her own private investigation business.  

• Love 2
(edited)

One of the best things for me about watching the Prometheus story online years ago is that there were some genuine shocking twists for me.  I vaguely knew Holly would end up with Robert not Luke in that sort of triangle but there were some serious surprises since I’d never heard much about it.

The thing about Holly was she actually did like nice lunches and shopping—but it wasn’t enough for her and she always wanted Robert to include her more.  He always knew she was smart and capable but probably some combination of them marrying when she was at her most vulnerable (pregnant  with a believed-dead Luke’s baby and about to be deported), the fact that she gets kidnapped and almost killed during Prometheus, and his past experience with Anna made him not always treat Holly like a true partner.   Also, it just plain wasn’t appropriate for her to be doing police work sometimes.   They definitely should’ve given her her own career!

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 1
(edited)

Hard to believe that this was over 12 years ago...

Patrick: Mr. Scorpio, I have nothing but respect for your daughter, which is why our relationship had to end. I didn't want to mislead her about a future that didn't exist for us.

Robert: Because of her medical condition?

Patrick: If Robin and I were to ever have a future, her medical condition wouldn't even be an issue. I admire the way Robin lives her life, the way she deals with her condition, she's a brave girl, but the bottom line is I'm not looking for a relationship, and I'm sure if you were to ask her, she'd say the same thing.

Robert: Oh, wait, wait, wait. Were these her words, or were these your assumptions to patch your ego?

Patrick: It was our understanding from day one. Look, I'm an inherently self-involved man. My career and my reputation are what is important to me. I don't have enough left to give to someone who deserves more, and I'm sure you can relate to that.

Robert: Well, this is your lucky day because I'm going to give you the benefit of my considerable experience with Robin's mother. Strong, independent women -- well, they come along rarely in your life. The man who lets that slip through his fingers is a perfect idiot.

And another favorite of mine...

Robin: Maybe mom is right. Maybe I'm falling in love with someone exactly like you.

Robert: Come on, give me a 100 things wrong with that.

Robin: I can't think of one.

Robert: Look, when I get back, we're going to have a party. You know, balloons, cake, maybe funny hats and a clown, perhaps?

Robin: Clowns scare me.

Robert: All right, no clowns.

Robin: And any day but Sunday. I'm doing the AIDS walk. And I listed you as a sponsor, just so you --

Robert: I'm here to help.

Robin: Ok, well, you can help me by coming back safe and sound.

Robert: Not just a little beat up, hmm?

Robin: Just a little beat up.

Robert: I hate it when you agree with me.

Robin: Thanks for the present.

Edited by cmahorror
  • Love 5
(edited)
10 hours ago, cmahorror said:

Patrick: Mr. Scorpio, I have nothing but respect for your daughter, which is why our relationship had to end. I didn't want to mislead her about a future that didn't exist for us.

Patrick: If Robin and I were to ever have a future, her medical condition wouldn't even be an issue. I admire the way Robin lives her life, the way she deals with her condition, she's a brave girl, but the bottom line is I'm not looking for a relationship, and I'm sure if you were to ask her, she'd say the same thing.

Robert: Oh, wait, wait, wait. Were these her words, or were these your assumptions to patch your ego?

Patrick: It was our understanding from day one. Look, I'm an inherently self-involved man. My career and my reputation are what is important to me. I don't have enough left to give to someone who deserves more, and I'm sure you can relate to that.

Robert: Well, this is your lucky day because I'm going to give you the benefit of my considerable experience with Robin's mother. Strong, independent women -- well, they come along rarely in your life. The man who lets that slip through his fingers is a perfect idiot.

Robin: Maybe mom is right. Maybe I'm falling in love with someone exactly like you.

Robert: Look, when I get back, we're going to have a party. You know, balloons, cake, maybe funny hats and a clown, perhaps?

Robin: And any day but Sunday. I'm doing the AIDS walk. And I listed you as a sponsor, just so you --

???????????❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Oh I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE those scenes!!!!

Whatever happened to that Luke?

And THAT Anna?

And what can I say about Robert? He’s still got that smile! Those sparkling eyes! That wit! And the love between him and Robin!!!! That HUG!!!

Sigh....

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Kim McC is a better actress than most on the show.  It's such a waste that when Robin comes back on the show these days, it's only to prop Anna/Finn or Jason.

I was pissed that I didn’t get to see any hugs and kisses between Robert and Robin, or him telling her what happened like he said he would. Fucking fakakta writers. Both Tristan and Finola joked about how being parents to Robin as Robert and Anna, was a joy and practice for when they became parents themselves later.

It’s odd that while I hated the writing back then, it’s practically Shakespearean compared to the last few years. The pathos and humor! My goodness the humor between Luke and Robert in the scenes above and the way Anna called Patrick a “cretin” and how Robert should kick his ass. Or as Robin left, both said how much in love she was with Patrick.

And that heart to heart at Kelly’s, where Anna called bullshit about Robin wanting a relationship that was just about sex.

• Love 1

You can tell this is not long after the strike because of those lengthy flashbacks...

The scene with Anna/Robert/Duke is very cute. They all sparked off each other so well.

There's a soaps feature about ten minutes in, with brief comments from Jackie Zeman and Kin Shriner.

(edited)

Since it has come up recently, here it is: Bryan and Claudia's wedding in 1983, the first--and up until now, only--wedding in GH history between two black characters. This took place during the Prometheus Disk storyline, which heavily involved Robert & Holly.

ETA: This is actually the reception at Kelly's, not the ceremony itself. That I can't find. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1
On 7/7/2018 at 1:48 PM, cmahorror said:

Thank you! Never saw this.  I had stopped watching the show for 8 years but I've tried to catch up on what I missed thru YT.  Anytime there's Scorpio and Luke, I'm there.  Most entertaining. 

• Love 2

Alcazar threatens Robin and Patrick goes into protective mode:

Robin: And for the record, I don't appreciate you calling my father when I specifically told you I didn't want him involved.

Patrick: It's too late, your father got involved the minute he made Skye disappear. That's why Alcazar's trying to intimidate you, because, once again, your father got involved in a covert mission without thinking of the consequences to the people around him.

Robert: Wait, wait, wait. We're getting a little judgmental here. Now, what consequences were you thinking about when you were counting all those notches on your bed --

Robin: No -- just stop. Bickering is not helping either of your causes.

Patrick: Ok, if we stop, will you consider our causes and let your father keep an eye on you?

Robin: Hmm, let me think about that -- no!

Patrick: Look, you can be as mad as you want. I am not going to apologize for wanting to keep you safe.

[Pager beeps]

Patrick: I got to go.

Robin: Don't let me stop you.

Patrick: This isn't over.

Robert: Do you have to bust his chops over everything?

Robin: Why are you defending him?

Robert: Well, it's easier than defending myself. I mean, we both know who you're mad at here.

Robin: Ok, once again, you've given yourself way too much credit. My world, my being, has not revolved around you since I was -- uh -- 12.

Robert: My point exactly. I was gone for all that time when you needed me the most, and I'm still paying for it. But him? Well, he's here, right now. And this guy really cares for you, and he's prepared to put up with all of your garbage --

Robin: Oh --

Robert: To that end. I mean, explain to me the downside of all of this.

Later...

Robin: Hey. Do you have time for a quick consult before you go?

Patrick: Who's the patient?

Robin: A young, caucasian female with a cautious heart and a possibly fatal case of independence. What would you prescribe?

Patrick: I already told you -- two weeks in Paris.

Robin: Ah -- the patient can't fly.

Patrick: Ah. Common problem with humans.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You know, it always bothered me that the show had a real opportunity to create an old school adventure story with Alcazar and the Scorpios and completely blew it. It was rights there - kidnappings, adventure, young lovers on the run (Scrubs), a chance at redemption for a father - and it was just dropped within a couple of days. Robert was beat up, Skye made a phone call home and Alcazar found her.

Fast forward three months later she's begging Patrick to save Alcazar's life while Robin lies dying on the floor of the Metro Court. How much more tension would have been in those scenes if he reminded her of the danger Alcazar put Robin in just a few months earlier? If Alcazar had followed through on his threats and Patrick had to work with Robert to find Robin and bring her home?

It's the same with a possible Nikolas/Robin/Patrick triangle - the pieces were there, they just never bothered to put them together and it could have been great.

• Love 1

Preface: I haven't seen all of GH, I only started watching old eps a couple years ago. So I haven't seen 1982-95 ish, I'm slowly working my way through it. I'm watching the Luke and Laura story, where she leaves Scotty and goes on the run with Luke. I also watched the story when Nicholas showed up in the 90s. Anyway- I've always thought Luke was an asshole. He is entertaining, like an interesting character, but an asshole, imo.  

So watching the beginning of him and Laura- so he rapes her, then slaps her (not when he raped her, later in this story) So the story is interesting, but this idea that they're this great couple just seems like garbage to me, I think Luke treats her awful half the time, and it's not just the violence, he is controlling and witholds info, etc. 

On Youtube the number of comments from shippers excusing this stuff, and/or essentially saying Laura had it all coming for one reason or another is really something. One of the excuses for it is like- how Laura is immature and acting like a child, she was a child when she met Luke etc. To me, that is even more squicky, this idea that Luke is attracted to someone who was like a child. 

Anyway, I know soaps play fast and loose with the whole violence/aggression = love and attraction, but I don't know. I just can't fathom the mass appeal and devotion to them as this great couple with this great love story. It just seems disturbing to me, or maybe it is just Luke that rubs me the wrong way.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, cleo said:

I've always thought Luke was an asshole. He is entertaining, like an interesting character, but an asshole, imo.  

So watching the beginning of him and Laura- so he rapes her, then slaps her (not when he raped her, later in this story) So the story is interesting, but this idea that they're this great couple just seems like garbage to me, I think Luke treats her awful half the time, and it's not just the violence, he is controlling and witholds info, etc

Like lying to her for MONTHS in 1998 about how everything was hunky-dory at home. No mention of their son having run away and despising both of them because he found out about the rape. And STILL lying to her when she came home! Did he really think she wouldn't notice eventually?

What cinched it for me was how he acted when Nikolas came to town. I remember reading a viewers feedback that stated, "If my husband had acted the way Luke did when the child I gave up for adoption contacted me, it would have broken my heart."

The level of cruelty and anger he displayed was chilling--outright smiling at Lucky when Lucky accidentally showed him down the stairs, referring to him as "the little bastard", demanding that Laura cut him off for good. I never liked Luke much before that, but his behavior cemented my hatred of him.

2 hours ago, cleo said:

To me, that is even more squicky, this idea that Luke is attracted to someone who was like a child. 

She was only 17. She WAS a child. Geary himself said that the rape also counts as child molestation because Laura was underage.

2 hours ago, cleo said:

Anyway, I know soaps play fast and loose with the whole violence/aggression = love and attraction, but I don't know. I just can't fathom the mass appeal and devotion to them as this great couple with this great love story. It just seems disturbing to me, or maybe it is just Luke that rubs me the wrong way.

The timing of their return couldn't have been worse--after a summer that saw AMC's Erica and GH's Karen dealing with having been raped as children, plus OLTL's legendary gang rape story, bringing back a supercouple that started with a rape was a BAD idea. I've never been able to watch a single one of their lovey-dovey scenes without cringing.

The only thing I've ever liked about Luke is that quirk of his of calling the women in his life by their full names instead of the nicknames everyone else uses. 

Edited by Camille
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, Camille said:

She was only 17. She WAS a child. Geary himself said that the rape also counts as child molestation because Laura was underage.

The timing of their return couldn't have been worse--after a summer that saw AMC's Erica and GH's Karen dealing with having been raped as children, plus OLTL's legendary gang rape story, bringing back a supercouple that started with a rape was a BAD idea. I've never been able to watch a single one of their lovey-dovey scenes without cringing.

Genie once said that the only reason the rape scene wasn't more graphic was because she was still underage. God knows how much more graphic it would have been had she been 18 or older.

Regarding Karen and her abuse at the hands of Ray Conway, what makes that story even worse is that around the same time, Brenda secretly took photos of Karen while she was showering after gym class, and then (also secretly) distributed those photos around PC High to their other classmates. With how much more seriously bullying in school is treated today, there is NO WAY IN HELL anyone who did that now would be treated as anything but a villain. Given Vanessa Marcil's natural charisma, I can see how she survived it, but even that probably wouldn't save an actor doing a story like that now. It would just be WAY too skeevy.

And the crazy thing is, it was swept under the rug so fast that most people either forgot it happened or never knew it happened in the first place! And as far as I know, no one else--not Robin (who may have liked Jason Q., but she was friends with Karen too, and would have likely been horrified to find out what Brenda did to her!), not Jason, not Jagger, not even Karen herself ever found out she was the one behind it(and of course now she's dead). It looks like this is with Brenda and Brenda alone. And as far as soap secrets going to one's grave, this is a pretty big one, and at this point, it's probably because so few people know about it.

But if anyone ever found out about it, imagine what people think of Brenda afterwards. I mean, DAMN. What a dark secret to have. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, UYI said:

not even Karen herself ever found out she was the one behind it(and of course now she's dead). It looks like this is with Brenda and Brenda alone

Karen suspected it was Brenda, but she lied through her teeth and denied it. Brenda would probably be ARRESTED for pulling a stunt like that today. If Karen was still underage, some prosecutor could have even stretched it to charge Brenda with distributing child porn--only a few years later, some girls on Days Of Our Lives pulled a similar stunt on a classmate they hated and did get into serious trouble for it.

I absolutely loathed Brenda during that time. She didn't start to redeem herself in my eyes until she learned what had happened to Karen and it really sunk in what a horrible bitch she'd been to her.

2 hours ago, UYI said:

Genie once said that the only reason the rape scene wasn't more graphic was because she was still underage. God knows how much more graphic it would have been had she been 18 or older.

It's illegal for underage actors to film sex scenes. That's why they always cast 20-year olds as high school students. Notice how when Robin and Stone began sleeping together, we only saw before and after? We got love scenes with her and Jason because KMc was 18 by then.

• Love 2
(edited)

Flashbacks to Robert and Anna's first mission together, when they were undercover and pretending to be newlyweds (a few short days before, y'know, they actually became newlyweds).  

Skip to 1:39 and then 9:54 on this clip:

Skip to 7:05 on this one:

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 2

"Does Jason ever kiss you like that?" (Based on her reaction, I'm guessing no.)

Jagger & Karen's first kiss at Kelly's, 1992. "Wicked Game" is noticeably pitched a key or so lower here due to copyright concerns.

• Love 1

Whatever that storyline was in '78, it sounds super fucked up!     So ... apparently Monica was molested as an adopted teenager, by Gail's then-husband (not Lee)?   And Gail basically victim blames her?!    Not great form for a psychologist, Gail!

Although eventually Gail must get her shit together since they eventually go back to being friends.   But .... eesh.   

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

Whatever that storyline was in '78, it sounds super fucked up!     So ... apparently Monica was molested as an adopted teenager, by Gail's then-husband (not Lee)?   And Gail basically victim blames her?!    Not great form for a psychologist, Gail!

Although eventually Gail must get her shit together since they eventually go back to being friends.   But .... eesh.  

And I could swear when that story would be mentioned in soap articles or books in later years they made it sound like an affair, which clearly isn't the case. 

I wonder if this was done to explain Monica's psyche, or just to isolate her before she met Alan...

That background music is terrific.

Edited by Pete Martell
8 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

And I could swear when that story would be mentioned in soap articles or books in later years they made it sound like an affair, which clearly isn't the case. 

I wonder if this was done to explain Monica's psyche, or just to isolate her before she met Alan...

That background music is terrific.

Come to think of it, I remember around the time of Laura’s rape, Monica may have alluded to having suffered something similar.  And Gail did seem to acknowledge at that time that Monica had been a victim.  So it took her only a year or less to stop blaming Monica, so ... yay?

Y’know, before that rape storyline got twisted into something offensive.... I mean, the beautiful, not at all fucked up love story of Luke and Laura [/sarcasm].

• Love 2
4 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

Come to think of it, I remember around the time of Laura’s rape, Monica may have alluded to having suffered something similar.  And Gail did seem to acknowledge at that time that Monica had been a victim.  So it took her only a year or less to stop blaming Monica, so ... yay?

Y’know, before that rape storyline got twisted into something offensive.... I mean, the beautiful, not at all fucked up love story of Luke and Laura [/sarcasm].

And she's raped by Alan. 

Luke and Laura may be the ultimate example of "rape to romance", but they're not the only one.

1 hour ago, Camille said:

And she's raped by Alan. 

Luke and Laura may be the ultimate example of "rape to romance", but they're not the only one.

They were already married by then, though, so a closer comparison would be to Roger & Holly on GL. And because the scene cuts away before anything really happens, I've always imagined that Monica stopped him before anything really bad could happen. I watch the scenes of them together years later after her breast cancer diagnosis and how sweet he is with her, and I just CAN'T wrap my mind around Alan Quartermaine being a rapist. I just don't want that to be true. 

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, UYI said:

They were already married by then, though, so a closer comparison would be to Roger & Holly on GL. And because the scene cuts away before anything really happens, I've always imagined that Monica stopped him before anything really bad could happen. I watch the scenes of them together years later after her breast cancer diagnosis and how sweet he is with her, and I just CAN'T wrap my mind around Alan Quartermaine being a rapist. I just don't want that to be true. 

When the scene cuts back, she's huddled up in the classic post-rape fetal position, shuddering, while he's putting his robe back on.

Edited by Camille

Ugh, back in the late 70s and early 80s, the show seemed to toy with being educational about / socially aware of things like acquaintance rape (Luke and Laura) and marital rape (Alan and Monica), in a time when those concepts weren't fully acknowledged.  But then, of course, the show decided to royally eff it up, instead.  

And now, to veer wildly off-topic! ....     here's an interesting clip (skip to 4:00) in the middle of the 1985 Aztec Treasure saga.   It's the point in the story where Sean and Anna start to suspect Robert is on to their plot to ship off the stolen treasure (he totally is) and that his request that they meet him alone in a warehouse is because he's about to accuse them (which he is totally going to do).    Anna is adamant that no matter what happens, Robert should not be hurt, and she makes Sean promise her he won't be.  Aw, that's sweet ... in kind of a messed up way, given that Robert still kinda hates her at this point and she realizes he might be about to arrest her. LOL.  

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 1

Patrick and Robin try to solve a murder:

Patrick (playing Andrea Floyd): How dare you, you little slut!

Robin: Ooh, you want to role play later?

Patrick: Come on, stay with me.

Loved that Robin was bringing out her inner Scorpio and solving a crime but I also love the playfulness between these two. It was a side we didn't get to see as often as we could have.

Edited by cmahorror
  • Love 2
On 10/7/2018 at 12:02 PM, cmahorror said:

Patrick and Robin try to solve a murder:

Patrick (playing Andrea Floyd): How dare you, you little slut!

Robin: Ooh, you want to role play later?

Patrick: Come on, stay with me.

Loved that Robin was bringing out her inner Scorpio and solving a crime but I also love the playfulness between these two. It was a side we didn't get to see as often as we could have.

Not even joking, which is sad. But I think Patrick/Robin and to a lesser degree, Lulu/Dante, seemed to be the last of the couples that GH writers actually took the time to develop properly. Of course, it doesn't help that most of these writers were tossed for Frank's buddies.

• Love 2
(edited)

I frickin' loved the Joe Kelly character when I watched the 1980 and 81 episodes!

Heather was so much better as as a villain when she was psycho in a more manipulative and devious way.  Not as a campy figure.   Heather's relationship with her mother was super toxic, but in a compellingly dysfunctional way.  

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

Heather was so much better as as a villain when she was psycho in a more manipulative and devious way.  Not as a campy figure.   Heather's relationship with her mother was super toxic, but in a compellingly dysfunctional way.  

Ah, yes, when nuance wasn't a dirty word.

• Love 3

I saw this ad and the man in it looked so familiar to me. I thought maybe it was Michael Sutton, although he would have been 19 around this time. 

Any Stone fans know one way or the other?

(sorry if this is in the wrong thread)

Edited by Pete Martell

I'm just at the beginning of the Ice Princess storyline. Hutch is in the hospital recovering. I wish he had stuck around. Much hotter than Luke lol. And more charming.

Just saw Scorpio's first scene I think. He was waiting in Luke's apt with a gun.

I like Laura but she is often snotty and bitchy with her friends, like Claudia.

Amy Vining. What a thankless role. Why did they make this character so awful? I feel bad for the actress, can't believe she stuck with it so long.

• Love 1

Ugh, back in the late 70s and early 80s, the show seemed to toy with being educational about / socially aware of things like acquaintance rape (Luke and Laura) and marital rape (Alan and Monica), in a time when those concepts weren't fully acknowledged.  But then, of course, the show decided to royally eff it up, instead.

This is from a couple months ago, but I just watched that Alan/Monica scene.  Disturbing.

I hate to say it, but Stuart Damon must have become a much better actor over his time on the show, because I don't think he's very good in that scene. I started watching in the '90s, so I only saw him in his "patriarch" phase and I always liked him. Or maybe that scene just isn't his best work.  

Anyway, a little Googling suggests to me this was 1979 or 1980? That seems to have been when the Alan/Monica/Rick triangle was in full swing. What strikes me is that this is exactly the same television period when JR maritally raped Sue Ellen on Dallas (that was how their son, John Ross, was conceived) and when Blake did so to Krystle on Dynasty. Those, like Alan/Monica, were long-running supercouples who had a lot of break-ups and reunions, and a lot of fans who wanted them to be together. I'm glad soap writers are not so willing to go there anymore, and I'm glad viewers see these scenes as upsetting now. Younger people watch those clips and can't believe the male characters remained sympathetic at all, or the couplings viable. For them, it would probably be a deal-breaker. Even the odious Sonny has never been written to force himself on a woman who was screaming "No."  

• Love 2