Type keyword(s) to search

Ghosts of GH Past Viewing Party: '80s, '90s, And All Eras Of Non-Suckitude!

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

Lily was never a character in her own right, at least not that I recall. She was created to be the sweet, submissive counterpoint to Brenda and that's it. Not even giving her a Tragic Lost Love (with Bonus Secret Baby!) did much to flesh her out into a real person.

She was also Sonny's marriage of convenience, which is gross on so many levels. Yeah, yeah, he ended up loving her. That was only for the sake of Clink-Boom.

I honestly have the impression that the only people who truly hated her were the die hard S&B stans who wanted her to GTFO of the way of their couple. Finding someone boring isn't always the same thing as hating them.

(And hey, both Lily and Sonny & Lily as a couple actually had their share of fans, I sure don't think Miguel & Brenda ever did...or Miguel himself, for that matter.)

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2
On 10/19/2019 at 6:33 PM, UYI said:

(And hey, both Lily and Sonny & Lily as a couple actually had their share of fans

I was one, even if I was in the minority. I simply never understood all the hatred for her. It was nice to see a couple that wasn't screaming at each other most of the time, the way Sonny and Brenda were. If Lily had been developed more, it could have been an interesting triangle, with her being someone raised to be the perfect Mafia wife--look the other way, don't ask questions, etc.

On 10/19/2019 at 6:33 PM, UYI said:

I sure don't think Miguel & Brenda ever did...or Miguel himself, for that matter.)

I couldn't stand those two. Their hypocrisy was mind-blowing--they'd dry hump each other every chance they got, then go ballistic if Sonny and Lily so much as said "Hello" to each other. It was even worse after the couple's broke up and switched partners--they jumped into bed the DAY AFTER and did everything they could think of to throw it in Sonny's face, but they still had the nerve to get pissy everytime they saw Sonny and Lily together.

The latter two ended up being the more believable couple because they took their time getting involved. 

This hilarious parody sums up Miguel and Lily very well.

https://soapzone.com/gh/library/MiguelRetrospective.html

• Love 3

I was a Lily fan.  She was sweet, soft spoken, calm in the face of all the bullshit that her family was doing.  Not to mention that the arranged marriage was right up my Regency Romance loving alley and I was in for Sonny/Lily.  

I didn't like Brenda either, so that helped.  She always came across as smug and entitled.  Boo Hoo, being a highly paid and respected model is SO HARD!  I started watching the show at about the time of BJ's death, so I never saw any of early Brenda, maybe she wasn't so bad when she was younger.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ouinason said:

I started watching the show at about the time of BJ's death, so I never saw any of early Brenda, maybe she wasn't so bad when she was younger.

HAHAHAHA no. Teen Brenda was a huge spoiled brat with daddy issues. She made life hell for Karen Wexler, the teen ingenue at the time. I hated her then, but it was love-to-hate. She was such a bitch (who remembers when she stuck naked pictures of Karen in everyone's school locker? I don't think she ever got busted for that, either), but Vanessa Marcil just had this charisma back then.

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, Melgaypet said:

HAHAHAHA no. Teen Brenda was a huge spoiled brat with daddy issues. She made life hell for Karen Wexler, the teen ingenue at the time. I hated her then, but it was love-to-hate. She was such a bitch (who remembers when she stuck naked pictures of Karen in everyone's school locker? I don't think she ever got busted for that, either), but Vanessa Marcil just had this charisma back then.

Karen suspected her involvement, but no one ever found out for sure (not even Robin, who of course was friends with both women and I think would be HORRIFIED that her BFF Brenda did such a thing), which means that's one non-paternity related GH secret that will probably stay that way forever. There's no way in HELL that could happen today, though--didn't Sage do the same thing to Georgie in 2004 and get caught? 

Edited by UYI
  • Useful 2

Yes, I also liked Lily and Lily/Sonny. The marriage of convenience aspect was somewhat tamped down for me by the fact Sonny was already in a relationship with Lily. At that time was he in love with her and planning on marrying her? No. But they were involved and he had feelings for her. He always talked about how she understood him the best - it was enough to make Brenda jealous even when he was with her, before he broke up with her and then got together with Lily.

I only really liked Brenda at all in her relationship with Jax in the early days of it, which was another reason Clink/Boom annoyed me (even though it was great, dramatic TV) - I figured she'd be back with Sonny. And they brought Miranda on for Jax and tried to make it that she was Jax's soulmate while Sonny was Brenda's, but that didn't work out well. It was fun when Sonny brought her to Jax and Brenda's wedding though.

• Love 3

Teen Brenda was a huge spoiled brat with daddy issues. She made life hell for Karen Wexler, the teen ingenue at the time. I hated her then, but it was love-to-hate.

I always liked Brenda, even as a teen. Yeah, she was a brat, but unlike the Brenda who we got in the 2010s, she had a backbone and would stand up for herself. It helped that VM had tons of charm and charisma, as Melgaypet said. And she and MB had smoking chemistry.

With Sonny and Lee-Lee, they were just so...meh. He might have cared for her, but there wasn't much ooomph to them. I don't recall him ever saying he loved her, it was basically

Lee-Lee: Sonny, I love you.

Sonny:*smiles awkwardly, hugs her*

Me: *Yawns*

She never really felt like anything more than an obstacle to keep Brenda and Sonny apart (Sonny was going to leave her for Brenda until he found out Lee-Lee was pregnant). Well, that and she herself being a business transaction between Sonny and her dad...

I only really liked Brenda at all in her relationship with Jax in the early days of it

I loved the 90ss era Sonny/Brenda/Jax triangle. I'd def rank it as one of the better triangles this show has had.

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Oracle42 said:
2 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I loved the 90ss era Sonny/Brenda/Jax triangle. I'd def rank it as one of the better triangles this show has had.

Agreed. And I think it was one of the best triangles in soaps.

It was so good. A huge part of that was that Sonny didn't have to always win, so you really felt like Brenda could choose either man and it wouldn't be inevitable.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, ouinason said:

I was a Lily fan.  She was sweet, soft spoken, calm in the face of all the bullshit that her family was doing.  Not to mention that the arranged marriage was right up my Regency Romance loving alley and I was in for Sonny/Lily.  

I didn't like Brenda either, so that helped.  She always came across as smug and entitled.  Boo Hoo, being a highly paid and respected model is SO HARD!  I started watching the show at about the time of BJ's death, so I never saw any of early Brenda, maybe she wasn't so bad when she was younger.

God bless the daytime soaps, the only place where a woman who barely reaches five feet tall can become a world renowned runway supermodel (see also: Erica Kane). 

• LOL 5
11 hours ago, ouinason said:

I was a Lily fan

Yippee! That's what, two of us?

11 hours ago, ouinason said:

She was sweet, soft spoken, calm in the face of all the bullshit that her family was doing

I loved that. I thought she had incredible dignity. In contrast to Brenda stalking Sonny and refusing to leave them alone, she was willing to give him up and walk away when she finally accepted that he didn't love her.

8 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

HAHAHAHA no. Teen Brenda was a huge spoiled brat with daddy issues. She made life hell for Karen Wexler, the teen ingenue at the time. I hated her then, but it was love-to-hate. She was such a bitch (who remembers when she stuck naked pictures of Karen in everyone's school locker? I don't think she ever got busted for that, either),

I loathed her for everything she did to Karen--though I appreciated her Heel Realization upon learning that Karen had been sexually abused as a child--and it's one of the other reasons I could never get into Sonny and Brenda. She was always incredibly cruel towards any woman she viewed as competition--Karen, Lily, Miranda, Skye.

7 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Yes, I also liked Lily and Lily/Sonny

Three of us! Whoo-hoo!

4 hours ago, Oracle42 said:

Agreed. And I think it was one of the best triangles in soaps.

It was, but it's greatest strength was also its greatest weakness. Because both pairings worked so well, it ended up dragging on for years until it got tired.

4 hours ago, ouinason said:

Clink/Boom wrecked me because damn, no spoilers, no warning, just.... BOOM.  And I cared, which I don't anymore.

Same here. Not until the slow motion started as Lily started walking towards the car did I realize what was going to happen and it killed me.

For such a reviled character, she's had a lot of impact. To this day Sonny is haunted by it and has screwed up most of his relationships because he's afraid of the woman ending up like Lily.

Remember the nightmare he had the night before his wedding when it was Brenda who turned around to smile at him just before the car exploded?

• Love 3

God bless the daytime soaps, the only place where a woman who barely reaches five feet tall can become a world renowned runway supermodel

I think she (Brenda) was more print than runway, no? I guess that's why her modeling career kind of worked for me.

It was, but it's greatest strength was also its greatest weakness. Because both pairings worked so well, it ended up dragging on for years until it got tired.

Granted, in soaps, that's true for most super-couples and triangles as well (see B&B's Brooke/Ridge/Taylor, another great triangle I enjoyed in the 1990s that should have ended by the early 2000s but didn't).

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Granted, in soaps, that's true for most super-couples and triangles as well (see B&B's Brooke/Ridge/Taylor, another great triangle I enjoyed in the 1990s that should have ended by the early 2000s but didn't).

Exactly. I went from rooting for one pairing to ultimately not caring who ended up together.

The biggest bunch of bullshit was the resurrection of the triangle of Mooby/Brenda/Jax in 2002? 2003? when Brenda returned. Why? Because BACK in 1998, Brenda had MADE her choice: JAX. When Mooby returned, all bearded up in '98, after the Bastille Ball, Brenda came over and said "Good-bye Sonny" something she didn't get to do when he, you know, left her at the altar. Even during that dock fire? Brenda ran TO JAX. Not Moobykins.

There was NO NEED to drag up that triangle. Brenda and Jax were in a very good place when she "died"/Vanessa left the show. If Guzasshole wanted a triangle so bad, it should have been with Skye/Jax/Brenda. 

But I forget. By this time, Mooby had to be front and center in all things.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Hiyo said:

She never really felt like anything more than an obstacle to keep Brenda and Sonny apart (Sonny was going to leave her for Brenda until he found out Lee-Lee was pregnant). Well, that and she herself being a business transaction between Sonny and her dad...

Correct. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, HeatLifer said:

Correct. 

Fair enough. But who knows what could have happened had she been developed more? Some of soaps greatest romances and stories have evolved out of the writers taking an unexpected turn. The very Jax/Brenda/Sonny triangle we've been lauding might never have existed had Rena Sofer not decided to leave the show due to her pregnancy--the original plan was to have him in a triangle with Lois and Ned. We'd need an entire separate thread to discuss What Could Have Been across this genre.

The first few months of 1994 were spent pairing Brenda with every available guy onscreen to see who she had the most chemistry with. Sonny and Brenda might never have even existed. If you look at the early days of their relationship, it's obvious that the writers were actually trying to set up a Sonny/Miguel/Brenda triangle (and rumor has it they wanted to pair Lily with Garcia). Presumably that got nixed when Ricky Martin decided to leave the show to go on tour and the writers decided to go with the Brenda/Sonny/Lily triangle instead of reconciling both couples and having Miguel and Lily ride off into the sunset.

Edited by Camille
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Camille said:

Fair enough. But who knows what could have happened had she been developed more? Some of soaps greatest romances and stories have evolved out of the writers taking an unexpected turn. The very Jax/Brenda/Sonny triangle we've been lauding might never have existed had Rena Sofer not decided to leave the show due to her pregnancy--the original plan was to have him in a triangle with Lois and Ned. We'd need an entire separate thread to discuss What Could Have Been across this genre.

The first few months of 1994 were spent pairing Brenda with every available guy onscreen to see who she had the most chemistry with. Sonny and Brenda might never have even existed. If you look at the early days of their relationship, it's obvious that the writers were actually trying to set up a Sonny/Miguel/Brenda triangle (and rumor has it they wanted to pair Lily with Garcia). Presumably that got nixed when Ricky Martin decided to leave the show to go on tour and the writers decided to go with the Brenda/Sonny/Lily triangle instead of reconciling both couples and having Miguel and Lily ride off into the sunset.

I made a thread here for that subject (GH couples that never were) way back in 2014, but it looks like it's gone now. 

Edited by UYI
2 hours ago, Camille said:

Sonny/Miguel/Brenda

This is totally beside the point, I apologize; but this ordering makes it seem like Brenda and Sonny would have been competing for Miguel and picturing that made me laugh for nearly a minute straight.

• LOL 7

But who knows what could have happened had she been developed more?

I'm not sure if that would have helped, there was just a lack of chemistry between Sonny and Lily, especially compared to many of the other couples we saw at the time, like Sonny/Brenda, Brenda/Jax, Robin/Stone, etc. Hell, Mac and Felicia had much more chemistry.

She might have worked with Garcia, since he did seem to genuinely care about her.

it's obvious that the writers were actually trying to set up a Sonny/Miguel/Brenda

I think we ended up with a Sonny/Brenda/Miguel/Lily quadrangle for a while.

55 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

think we ended up with a Sonny/Brenda/Miguel/Lily quadrangle for a while.

We did. If you rewatch that whole story, you can see it evolving because they were testing everything. First it was Sonny/Brenda/Miguel. Then they made it Sonny/Brenda/Miguel/Lily. Then it was Lily/Sonny/Brenda, then Lily/Sonny/Brenda/Jax, then Sonny/Brenda/Jax once they realized they'd struck gold. I don't know why they bothered to make it a quadrangle again by bringing in Miranda.

• Useful 1
12 hours ago, Camille said:

I don't know why they bothered to make it a quadrangle again by bringing in Miranda.

Because at the time, they were sticking with their original plan of Sonny/Brenda being endgame. After all, Jax/Brenda had never been intended. That meant Jax would need another love interest.

The writing for the Miranda/Jax/Brenda/Sonny quad, until it was clear to TPTB that Jax/Miranda wasn't working, was that while Jax/Brenda loved each other, they weren't on the same level as Brenda/Sonny and Jax/Miranda. I remember an interview Vanessa Marcil gave when Brenda found and read Jax and Miranda's love letters to each other, where she said that Brenda saw that Jax and Miranda had this "soulmate, forever-true" love that Brenda and Sonny had and that Brenda and Jax didn't share.

Bringing Miranda on as the real love of Jax's life was a way to protect the Jax character and their hot new stud Ingo, a way to write him as not being "the loser" of the love triangle even though Brenda would be ending up with Sonny.

But the pairing with Miranda failed, while Jax/Brenda had legions of fans, and as they were a far less toxic couple than Sonny/Brenda, it was hard for the writers to justify breaking them up. It's kind of similar to the Y&R Jack/Nikki/Victor triangle back in the day; Nikki loved Victor more and Nikki/Victor was always going to be endgame, but Jack/Nikki weren't toxic and the two actors had great chemistry, so the show ended up keeping them together a lot longer than planned.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Now this would have been the perfect ending for Sonny and Brenda.

It WAS the ending. Until Vanessa left the show and when she decided to come back, Show DISREGARDED that she had said GOOD BYE to his murdering ass, and decided to resurrect the "triangle" and throw in Skye into the mess.

Unfortunately, as is the norm with this genre, writers/producers/showrunners keep returning back to certain couples and/or triangles even when logically they shouldn't.

I still look back fondly on Brenda and Sonny from the 90s, as problematic as their relationship was, it did make for great drama (and VM and MB had great chemistry together, and still do) and was very enjoyable to watch.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

A few of us were talking in the episode thread about character introductions that try too hard to make the audience love the character. One that sticks out in my mind is Chloe Morgan (Tava Smiley) in 1999.  She was kind of Sabrina without the ugly-duckling-into-swan narrative. The happy, positive, good character who was immediately front and center after her introduction, meeting and befriending everyone in town, liking all the "right" people and getting in quips in at the expense of all the "right" people. But the quips were never anything too mean-spirited, because she was so nice

The actress had that overly explicit way of delivering her lines, like she was performing for a very young audience and wanted to make sure the kids in the back row got every word. I quickly got sick of hearing her talking to Jax about how she wanted to dance barefoot with him in the fountains of Rome (or whatever it was), as if she were on a show with a budget.  

Where I was reading and posting at the time, she was greatly disliked, one of three botched new characters of the late-Riche era (Hannah and Juan were the others). But no one ever brings her up now, good or bad.  When Ingo got his prime-time soap (Titans) and left, they tried pairing her with Stefan, and then Stavros killed her. 

Has she ever been mentioned on the show in the litany of Quartermaine tragedies? 

Edited by Asp Burger
Oh, this post has bounced around a bit!
  • Love 2

I only remember her mentioned a couple times after they figured out Stavros was her killer and it was by Alexis or Jax. I don’t think anyone’s mentioned her beyond a year after she died. It’s not surprising that she doesn’t get mentioned along with the Qs because even though they liked her, she was a distant relative with Lila who they only knew for 2 years. When they did that mixed marriage SL with Alexis/Jax/Ned/Chloe, Edward was the only one who questioned her marrying her “cousin” Ned so I don’t think she was supposed to be a close relative.

I think this tends to happen a lot with characters who get introduced as the new, hot thing. Most seem to flame out after a couple years and are never mentioned shortly after their death. Hoping that will be the case with Oscar.

On another note, I never got how she was supposed to be a viable soap character. They made her too perfect. Everyone In town loved her. Jax/Ned/Alexis became her instant best friends and were willing to rearrange their lives for her. It didn’t help that most of her scenes were with that quad who were already good characters but weren’t perfect. I remember a bunch of scenes of her being outraged or shocked over something one of them said. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, ffwbe said:

On another note, I never got how she was supposed to be a viable soap character. They made her too perfect. Everyone In town loved her. Jax/Ned/Alexis became her instant best friends and were willing to rearrange their lives for her. It didn’t help that most of her scenes were with that quad who were already good characters but weren’t perfect. I remember a bunch of scenes of her being outraged or shocked over something one of them said. 

Yes. They really overshot the mark on her sweetness-and-light quality.

The only thing I can figure is that they had recently lost both Brenda and Robin, and they felt they needed some new female characters in their 20s and 30s. Hannah was obviously the "Brenda clone," and she was supposed to be the complicated, secretive new woman. Chloe was there to be their Good Person. But Robin's version of Good Person worked better given her youth. Chloe was well into adulthood and was supposed to be a designer with an international reputation. She could still have been nice, but not that much of a Pollyanna. I don't know what the actress's range was, though.  

One of the reasons I never liked Chloe is because the show was doing a story with Jax losing his money and V helping him win it back in Monte Carlo. I thought that they had good comedic chemistry, moving from V antagonistic as the cop guarding him to bamboozling Lord Something and it was something different, but as soon as Chloe came on the scene V got shipped off the show and the hokey (and dull IMO) mixed married stuff began.

• Love 1

I liked V too and I thought her and Jax had potential. It was disappointing that Chloe replaced her by the time Jax was ready to date again after Brenda since they were definitely doing a slow build between Jax and V before that. Although I probably would even been angrier with Jax if he had dumped her the way he did Chloe. I didn’t care about Jax breaking up with Chloe to keep chasing after the possibility of Brenda because I thought their pairing was boring and didn’t see a big connection between them but I wouldn’t have wanted him to break V’s heart so I’m at least glad she got to leave the show happy.

Edited by ffwbe
grammer
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Asp Burger said:

Yes. They really overshot the mark on her sweetness-and-light quality.

Agree. It was nice to have a genuinely good person on the scene, but Chloe was so syrupy. And the niceness sometimes skirted the dumbness line.

IIRC, her death was pretty explicit. Didn't Stavros strangle her and we saw it more than once? It was so unnecessary.

If anyone deserves the Evilest Cassadine Who Ever Evil Cassadined, it's Stavros. Dude was seriously sick. Valentin can't hold a candle to him.

• Love 3

I thought Chloe was ok, my main issue with her was as others pointed out, they forced her on us a bit too strongly. It would have been better had she been integrated to the cast a bit more slowly so we got time to know her. Let her relationship with Jax build up a bit more slowly, let her friendship with Alexis do the same. Instead, we seemed to get an insta Fab Four with Chloe/Jax/Alexis/Ned.

I liked V too and I thought her and Jax had potential.

I liked her too and would have liked for her to stay around. Would have definitely kept her over Chloe, if I had the choice. As for her getting her heart broken when Jax left...hey, it's GH, everyone gets their heart broken at some point or another.

• Love 2

I really liked Chloe. I understood all the complaints, but back then at least I found Tava Smiley sweet and smart without being saccharine like Sabrina. I liked her much more than the pairing with Jax - I think she was meant to be the anti-Brenda, but the writing was forced and bland. I liked her friendly chemistry with NLG and WK and others, and I thought the pairing with Stefan had some spark. But when she died almost nobody missed her but me.

• Love 5

IIRC Guza was allegedly a big fan of V. It was Wendy Riche who shafted her in favor of her ill fated bus/billboard push of prefab couples Sonny/Hannah and Jax/Chloe post-Brenda, and this creative conflict between Riche and Guza led to civil war BTS which ultimately ousted both of them, leading to the JFP interregnum. When Guza was courted to return after she shit the bed, he had learned from the fight with Riche, and IIRC demanded a producer credit and primary creative control. He got it.

On 1/23/2020 at 2:47 AM, jsbt said:

IIRC Guza was allegedly a big fan of V. It was Wendy Riche who shafted her in favor of her ill fated bus/billboard push of prefab couples Sonny/Hannah and Jax/Chloe post-Brenda, and this creative conflict between Riche and Guza led to civil war BTS which ultimately ousted both of them, leading to the JFP interregnum. When Guza was courted to return after she shit the bed, he had learned from the fight with Riche, and IIRC demanded a producer credit and primary creative control. He got it.

Was he a fan of V/Jax or Alexis/Jax? Because what I recall was he wrote a LOT of sparkly Jaxis scenes during their "fake" marriage while Jax/Chloe scenes were rather simplistic and saccharine.

At the time, I remember reading the argument you just said but replace V with Alexis.

He was big on both at different times. The network/Riche dumped V, then wouldn't clear him to do Jaxis. That and the doomed '98-'99 push on Chloe/Hannah/Roy, etc., among other things I'm sure I've forgotten (Juan?), is what led to Guza and Riche going to war.

Edited by jsbt
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I've been watching the entire Ice Princess storyline from 1981. I just finished with the August 10th episode, which is the first episode with John Colicos as Mikkos Cassadine. In the credits scroll at the end of the episode, he even got Special Guest Star billing. So, Baltar was a big name in 1981!

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Well, not surprising. As big as GH got, daytime soaps were always seen as being "lower" than doing movies and primetime TV.

I'll never forget Harrison Ford singing the praises of soap actors in a James Lipton interview. I think the question was what job would you not want, and he said soap actor because they work five times as hard as anyone else (much faster shooting schedule, fewer takes, lower budgets, etc.) and have to make the most ridiculous stuff sound reasonable. Ford was genuinely admiring of that and knew he couldn't do it.

Any actor who started in soaps and tries to pooh-pooh it is someone I don't have much respect for. They probably learned a ton—it's a technical boot camp, if nothing else—and it did get them to where they are today.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Then @dubbel zout you will pleased to hear, since you already like him, at Sebastian Roche praising his stints at GH. He was Burton and Bradford's latest guest and he was saying at first he refused to GH but when they offered him more money, heh, he accepted and said it was the best decision he ever made. He said he's had actors ask him if they should take a role and he always says yes absolutely.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 2