Type keyword(s) to search

Ghosts of GH Past Viewing Party: '80s, '90s, And All Eras Of Non-Suckitude!

• Start Topic

22 minutes ago, UYI said:

Say what now?

Hee! It's not like I hated Bobbie or anything. Well, I hate her when she's carrying water for her sociopath of a daughter, but that came later. She was just kind of annoying in a vague way. I think it had to do with her voice. Jackie Zeman had a habit of speaking to everyone as if they were in kindergarten and it got on my nerves.

I should've said more accurately that Stefan/Bobbie was the first time I found one of her pairings interesting. I was too young to remember any pre-Tony romances, and I only vaguely recall her affair with Damien. (I remember her holding him at gunpoint somewhere in there and Luke talking her down. That was when Luke and Bobbie had one of the strongest sibling relationships around.) I liked her with Original Non-Psycho Jerry Jacks, too, enough that I was pissed when they were scuttled for Bobbie/Roy. I held a grudge against A Martinez for years over that, until he was Ray Montez on OLTL and romanced Dorian.

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

Hee! It's not like I hated Bobbie or anything. Well, I hate her when she's carrying water for her sociopath of a daughter, but that came later. She was just kind of annoying in a vague way. I think it had to do with her voice. Jackie Zeman had a habit of speaking to everyone as if they were in kindergarten and it got on my nerves.

I should've said more accurately that Stefan/Bobbie was the first time I found one of her pairings interesting. I was too young to remember any pre-Tony romances, and I only vaguely recall her affair with Damien. (I remember her holding him at gunpoint somewhere in there and Luke talking her down. That was when Luke and Bobbie had one of the strongest sibling relationships around.) I liked her with Original Non-Psycho Jerry Jacks, too, enough that I was pissed when they were scuttled for Bobbie/Roy. I held a grudge against A Martinez for years over that, until he was Ray Montez on OLTL and romanced Dorian.

I won't lie. I didn't like Bobbie when I first started watching because she was mean to Laura. Hey! I was a Luke and Laura fan. SUE ME. Then she would be all whiny and needy with Noah. Eh. I really started to like her after that, and how her character grew when she got involved with Brock, and then Jake, and she was really very good when she and Tony got together, BJ (*sniff*) and even during Monica's cancer storyline, when Alan and Bobbie thought they were attracted to each other and tried to get romantic. The Monkey Virus, but especially good when Liz had been raped and the aftermath.

I don't know WHY HackFrank decided to make her an unapologetic SheBeast propper, because I recall, vaguely, that she wasn't blind when Sarah Brown and Tamara played her. So I just fast forward now.

I can't decide who I hate worse: Guzasshole or HackFrank.

• Love 2

It's been decades since Carly blew into town. Bobbie isn't blind to Carly's faults and will point out when she's being unreasonable. It's not Bobbie's fault Carly won't listen. Carly won't listen to Jason a lot of the time.

I don't like that Bobbie is basically a Greek chorus for her children, but it's better than not seeing her at all, IMO.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

So much 🥰🥰🥰❤️❤️❤️ And the petty part of me was all MUAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAA at the look on Shebeast’s face as Jason left with Robin in his arms!😆😆😆😆😆

And thus began Carly's decades-long hatred of Robin--because she knew she would never illicit that sort of response/love from Jason.  Hell, even now when he's all about being her lackey, if Carly was sobbing on some stage Jason would sigh heavily like it was an inconvenience and go grab her and walk her off.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 9/14/2019 at 11:06 AM, Cheyanne11 said:

Hell, even now when he's all about being her lackey, if Carly was sobbing on some stage Jason would sigh heavily like it was an inconvenience and go grab her and walk her off.

Because in all likelihood, she'd be either faking, exaggerating, or completely responsible for whatever was making her bawl and Jason's exasperation would be because he knew this.

He once said something like that when she whined that if she and Robin both fell down, everyone would step over her to get to Robin. He bluntly declared, "Robin would actually be hurt. You would be lying."

Edited by Camille
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

He once said something like that when she whined that if she and Robin both fell down, everyone would step over her to get to Robin.

I'd say a few of the people would probably go out of their way to step on her to get to Robin, but that's just me.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Camille said:

About fucking time she did that. When did that air?

Shortly after she returned in 2005. Shebeast was taunting her that Robin was jealous because she wasn’t able to give Jason a child like she did. As IF that Stupid Little Shit was biologically Jason’s.

You have to remember that Robin was still in love with the bastard when she returned.

It does prove how much restraint she had for so long, though, to never slap her until nine years after they first met* (and I don't think she's hit her since, either). The line about how Robin couldn't give Jason either a child OR the sex that Carly could FINALLY made her snap (and it was the sex line in particular that I think really sealed the deal there).

I do love their argument in 1999, right before Robin told AJ about Michael.

"You're as common as dirt." ❤️

*Yes, I realize Robin didn't live in PC from 1999-2005; I'm just saying! (Her only scene with TB's Carly was at Lila's funeral in 2004.)

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

The only comeuppance that SheBeast got was for shooting Tony. And that was only because Sarah was pregnant in real life and her baby was due, and they were able to write this as she left for maternity leave. Sure, it wasn't jail, but she was in Ferncliff, I think.

The one thing that I may have been on her side about.

Yes, I know Carly wasn't blameless in that mess, but Tony wasn't innocent either.

• Love 1

Tony deserved it.  Like, I hated Robin at that time.... and haven't grown to exactly love her over time, but what he did to her and Michael was not ok, and his ass should have gone to jail.  I always felt that, though Carly was DEFINITIVELY in the wrong regarding her relationship with Tony in the beginning, he was a complete asshole as soon as he felt he could get out of it and get the baby too, and then he became totally entitled and obsessive.  It was quite damaging to him as a character in my eyes.  

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Camille said:

The one thing that I may have been on her side about.

Yes, I know Carly wasn't blameless in that mess, but Tony wasn't innocent either.

I don't think I said that Tony was innocent in this. It was the beginning of the destruction of Tony--and THAT I will always be pissed about. He was one of the best characters--good guys on this show.

4 hours ago, ouinason said:

Tony deserved it.  Like, I hated Robin at that time.... and haven't grown to exactly love her over time, but what he did to her and Michael was not ok, and his ass should have gone to jail.  I always felt that, though Carly was DEFINITIVELY in the wrong regarding her relationship with Tony in the beginning, he was a complete asshole as soon as he felt he could get out of it and get the baby too, and then he became totally entitled and obsessive.  It was quite damaging to him as a character in my eyes.  

Yeah, well, I don't blame Tony being an asshole to try and get the baby that he thought was his and who she said was his, but also told AJ it was his, and who else did that Beast tell that the baby could be his? That piece of white trash came rolling into town because she wanted revenge against the mother for giving her up for adoption-OH, the HORROR! because Bobbie wanted her to have a good life, better life than she could give her baby at the time. And it seems she had a mother who loved her. 

And it's not like Robin and Jason were back together when this happened. They weren't. They got back together after she nearly died due to flu/sickness and not being able to take her HIV meds. It was a great way to have the cross over with Port Charles when Jason brought Robin into the hospital. And while Robin understood why Tony did what he did---while his captive, she was angry and even slapped away the aspirin or whatever he tried to give her.

And since this was just the beginning this show going all mob, all the time even if Mooby was off the show (he would return shortly to my disgust and eat the show up), so I'm glad that Tony got probation and had to do community service in the "bad" part of town. Like I said above, Guzasshole thought it was a good idea to destroy Tony. And it was a looooong time before he recovered from it. And then the asshole killed him off 9 years later.

Why no, I'm not bitter at all. Not a'tall.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

My golden era of the show was probably from around 1992 to 1998. 1999 is when the show started declining for me somewhat. I still watched until the early 2000s, then sporadically, then gave up around the time show decimated the Quartermaines.

While many factors led to my declining interest in the show, Carly not getting her comeuppance at all was on of them. And it got even worse once she and Sonny became a couple and answered to nobody.

Some other factors:

* Losing characters I really liked to Port Charles, like Lucy and Kevin (and lets be honest, few shows maintain quality when a spin-off is introduced), and I never really followed Port Charles

* AJ becoming a pathetic jobber of a loser, especially when Billy Warlock took over the role

* The horrible way Laura was written off

* The show becoming General Mob Drama

Edited by Hiyo
  • Love 3
58 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

My golden era of the show was probably from around 1992 to 1998

Mine was 1993-1995. I started to lose interest when the Borg was born.

59 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

While many factors led to my declining interest in the show, Carly not getting her comeuppance at all was on of them. And it got even worse once she and Sonny became a couple and answered to nobody

I really hated that. As much of a bitch as Carly was when she came to town, there was still a shred of vulnerability in her that revealed that she actually felt pretty badly about herself. By the time she hooked up with Sonny--and even for about a year before that--she became absolutely awful, always stomping around, yelling and screaming at everyone about how they were nothing compared to her.

• Love 3

Didn't Brad Maule himself request that the show kill off Tony when he left? Obviously it's sad it got to that point, and I can see Guza doing it anyway, but I seem to remember reading that that was actually what BM wanted. 

Edited by UYI

BM requesting it makes a lot more sense to me because I thought it was really random when they killed him. Guza definitely liked killing legacy characters but Tony was hardly on the show during those years so it’s not like anyone would have noticed if he was gone

8 hours ago, UYI said:

Didn't Brad Maule himself request that the show kill off Tony when he left? Obviously it's sad it got to that point, and I can see Guza doing it anyway, but I seem to remember reading that that was actually what BM wanted. 

I do remember hearing this. But I'm not sure it's real or just a rumor.

On 9/26/2019 at 6:31 AM, Hiyo said:

Carly not getting her comeuppance at all was on of them. And it got even worse once she and Sonny became a couple and answered to nobody.

To this day, I wonder how all of this would have played out if KMc, VM, and JJ never left.

• Love 3

This is really random, but whenever I see SBu written out for Steve Burton, I pronounce it in my head as "Sue Boo". I see it and it reminds me of the word Subaru, for some reason.

Anyway:

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Melgaypet said:

Unlike many, I didn't hate Lily, but she was boring as hell. The most interesting thing she ever did was get blown up.

Clink-Boom was a great, shocking move.

Ugh, she was SO goody-goody, which made her so boring. Clink-Boom might have been the last true shock the show has done.

• Love 4

Lily was never a character in her own right, at least not that I recall. She was created to be the sweet, submissive counterpoint to Brenda and that's it. Not even giving her a Tragic Lost Love (with Bonus Secret Baby!) did much to flesh her out into a real person.

• Love 3