Type keyword(s) to search

Ghosts of GH Past Viewing Party: '80s, '90s, And All Eras Of Non-Suckitude!

• Start Topic

13 minutes ago, Mirabelle said:

Didn't Zander's family have money? I hope Cam gets a letter from a lawyer saying now that he's reached 20 he's coming into a trust fund and there's enough money for him to pay for college and quit Kelly's. Yes, that business will likely close because Cam is seemingly the only employee but whatever. 

You expect the current ASSHOLES writers to know this? Or look it up?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Mirabelle said:

Didn't Zander's family have money? I hope Cam gets a letter from a lawyer saying now that he's reached 20 he's coming into a trust fund and there's enough money for him to pay for college and quit Kelly's. Yes, that business will likely close because Cam is seemingly the only employee but whatever. 

Cam deserves all the good things! Rewatching old Lucky/Liz clips I am still so struck at just how much WL resembles BH and CB tbh. The resemblance is uncanny. They really said copy paste with Liz' child. Perfect casting.

• Like 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, Mirabelle said:

When Zander originally described his parents (long before his father showed up), he made it sound like he was from some old money family. The dad was a doctor but it didn’t seem like he was incredibly wealthy so I doubt he was rolling in it. Plus how would Cam get this money when Zander himself was probably not in the will considering he ran away and had a terrible relationship with his parent and Cameron wasn’t born when the grandfather died?

Edited by ffwbe
6 hours ago, ffwbe said:

When Zander originally described his parents (long before his father showed up), he made it sound like he was from some old money family. The dad was a doctor but it didn’t seem like he was incredibly wealthy so I doubt he was rolling in it. Plus how would Cam get this money when Zander himself was probably not in the will considering he ran away and had a terrible relationship with his parent and Cameron wasn’t born when the grandfather died?

If I recall, the back story leading to Zander running away stemmed from a hunting accident between Zander and an older brother, for which I guess Cam, Sr. took out his anger on Zander for...Peter, that was his name!...dying. Forget if it led to the mother [never named] dying or divorcing Cam, Sr. post accident as the family disintegrated, but she was no longer in the picture. What made all of it ironic was Cam, Sr. was a shrink. (But I know, a child's death precludes all training and reason...)

So maybe something was set up in Peter's name? And as the sole survivor of the family, Cam can come to inherit.

A lot less ridiculous than some of the stuff on this show...

Wow, in discussing this, a lot of that came rushing back. The story was good on paper, but this was in Guza's complete mob phase, so the story was fragmented and half assed, when it could have been great, since Alexis was close to Zander and trying to play mediator for father/son - at least before HER mess with Dobson and Kristina's custody, etc., which pulled Cam, Sr. in on a professional and personal level.

Just a mess.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
(edited)
On 2/28/2023 at 7:46 AM, SlovakPrincess said:

It’s not completely nonsensical because you could argue Smith had been wanting revenge for years and when he got out of prison finally started looking for them.  But it’s a retcon to have them be “on the run” for years and it’s unclear how or by whom they would’ve learned Smith was out and ready to enact revenge— presumably someone in Port Charles, but everyone was surprised by their return so 🤷🏻‍♀️

I remember this retcon being discussed a couple years back. I was under the impression the claim was made that Smith's organization had regrouped and started coming after them in force a few years after their exit from PC. I can buy that.

The Zander/Cameron Lewis retcon always baffled me. IIRC yes, it did turn out Zander was from a wealthy family. There should be money. I don't remember the details. I do remember Cameron Sr. allegedly finally telling Zander his brother actually committed suicide(??) out in those woods. But I would bring Zander back and chalk it up to Witness Protection to give Liz and Cam something to do, because Chad Brannon looked fine as hell in his return a year or two ago.

Edited by jsbt
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, jsbt said:

But I would bring Zander back and chalk it up to Witness Protection to give Liz and Cam something to do, because Chad Brannon looked fine as hell in his return a year or two ago.

I would love this. CB also had great chemistry with NLG, and the Zander/Alexis relationship was so good.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

I would bring both Zander and Joe Phillips' Justus Ward back. I don't give a fuck. This is the show that did the Tale of Two Jasons and people uploading Jason and Drew's brains into each other like the iCloud. Both of 'em ended up in WitSec! Zander was used to try to build a case against Faith Rosco, Sonny and Jason which has been on ice for years! Justus I'd bring back because I think you can use him as another necessary recurring elder figure for the Qs in addition to Ned and Tracy (because let's face it, Monica is MIA) and also use him as a conduit for new, younger Wards to arrive. And Zander can play some story with Liz and his kids. Is it the romance of a lifetime? Hell no, Liz and Zander were a hook-up. But she can try it on anyway and they can have some good story before you finally figure out the Lucky situation, maybe play a triangle.

• Applause 1
On 3/3/2023 at 1:47 PM, jsbt said:

The Zander/Cameron Lewis retcon always baffled me. IIRC yes, it did turn out Zander was from a wealthy family. There should be money. I don't remember the details. I do remember Cameron Sr. allegedly finally telling Zander his brother actually committed suicide(??) out in those woods. But I would bring Zander back and chalk it up to Witness Protection to give Liz and Cam something to do, because Chad Brannon looked fine as hell in his return a year or two ago.

I recall waiting forever for Zander's story to come out, and when it finally did, Guza was in charge so of course it had to be bloody.  And who wouldn't shoot themselves rather than put it on their brother to do it, even accidentally?  

There was a scene with Zander and Liz where Zander slipped that he had a brother Pete.  He talked about living in a huge house on the beach where the AC was on full blast all the time.  It caused speculation that it had something Cassidine about it (freezing the world) but in the end that detail apparently came to nothing.  Speculations abounded while the story dragged out and you got small bits and pieces over months of time.  But there was the hint that he came from big money.  

• Like 2

I have to give Jennifer Bransford credit: As short as her run as Carly 3.0 was, she did have two really great fight scenes. (This is inspired by the mention of the Carly & Reese fight in the History Lessons thread).

The Carly & Sam scenes start at 10:18.

• Thanks 1

So I finally finished the full 1984 eps that were on YT.

Man did this show ever decline. I really found first half of 1984 awful- Robert basically being an ass to Holly, the spa blah blah, Celia and Grant- I didn't mind Celia until real Grant showed up but what a bitch she became. GA is better off without her.

Beatrice blah blah hated all that.

So now trying to figure out what to watch- maybe the Beatrice murder story? On the fence about that. And the Mexico clips with L&L I will try but I find L&L boring. But it seems to feed into another story? 

And then the Aztec story ?

So I've seen a bit of Frisco starting, hoping it will be interesting, not sure yet.

• Like 1

I wasn’t a fan of either of the Grant Putnam storylines, was more into the Blackie/Rick/Leslie and Rose/Jake stories.  

I think I enjoyed the Asian Quarter story more than the Aztec one, but they were both good. Don’t remember which came first. 

• Like 1

The first half of 84 was a total drag!  

From '84, the stuff with Frisco after Blackie leaves, and the introduction of Tony, and then later Felicia (leading into Aztec Treasure) is worth watching.  

Actually, watch all the Aztec stuff, because once Robert gets into the story and Luke shows up in Mexico, we get the introduction of Sean Donnelly and that actor was pretty great.  

The Beatrice and spa stuff can be super annoying at times, but there is a masseur seducing and then blackmailing the rich spa ladies which is at least a good soapy storyline.  

The Asian Quarter stuff came after the Aztec Treasure stuff.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, SlovakPrincess said:

The Beatrice and spa stuff can be super annoying at times, but there is a masseur seducing and then blackmailing the rich spa ladies which is at least a good soapy storyline.  

And the blackmailing masseur was non other than Greg Brady!!!!!!

• Like 2
(edited)

Thanks @SlovakPrincess!  I am watching some of the Beatrice murder story bc Robert and Holly are cute lol. 

I did see the beginning of Frisco and his brother so I'm following that.

I am really interested in seeing Sean start and Anna.

So I think I'm through the worst of 1984 and it's picking up a bit. I'm very slow watching right now bc I watch a lot of baseball lol.

@GHScorpiosRule I thought it was  someone else- the guy that was on SB and AMC. Callahan? Im terrible with names.

Edited by cleo
1 hour ago, cleo said:

I thought it was  someone else- the guy that was on SB and AMC. Callahan? Im terrible with names.

Nope. That was Barry Williams as the blackmailer!

Also known as Greg Brady from The Brady Bunch!!!

• Useful 1

Huh. Don't think I've ever seen clips with that guy. Just John Callahan playing Leo- I thought he was the blackmailer. But I've only seen bits and pieces of that story, so I'm half guessing what is going on.

12 hours ago, cleo said:

Huh. Don't think I've ever seen clips with that guy. Just John Callahan playing Leo- I thought he was the blackmailer. But I've only seen bits and pieces of that story, so I'm half guessing what is going on.

I stand corrected. According to his IMDB, Barry was never on this how. I could have sworn he was the blackmailing aerobics instructor? But yes, John Callahan was the blackmailing masseur. IMDB says John was only one for one episode. I seem to recall seeing Barry for more than one.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Barry Williams was on GH--in 1984.  For some reason I can't link it, but if you search You Tube you can find his scenes.

Thank you! I knew I wasn’t crazy! I remember being shocked to see him as a bad guy. Then he did another stint as a bad guy on Murder, She Wrote.

• Like 1

In memory of Jacklyn Zeman, I found myself in this forum and in this thread. I went back to the beginning, but some of the videos are no longer available. What’s the best way to revisit some of the late 70’s-80’s stuff? Not sure how far I want to go, but hoping y’all can set me on a path. I haven’t watched in a c***’s age, and just need to relive some of those stories. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
1 hour ago, gentlespirit512 said:

In memory of Jacklyn Zeman, I found myself in this forum and in this thread. I went back to the beginning, but some of the videos are no longer available. What’s the best way to revisit some of the late 70’s-80’s stuff? Not sure how far I want to go, but hoping y’all can set me on a path. I haven’t watched in a c***’s age, and just need to relive some of those stories. Thanks.

I found them on YouTube.  Just go there and search General Hospital and the year you’re looking for.  There are story-focused videos and full episode videos for some years.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, JMO said:

I found them on YouTube.  Just go there and search General Hospital and the year you’re looking for.  There are story-focused videos and full episode videos for some years.  

There’s also a great compilation of Bobbie slapping any character who got in her way. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
11 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Thank you! I knew I wasn’t crazy! I remember being shocked to see him as a bad guy. Then he did another stint as a bad guy on Murder, She Wrote.

I think Greg Brady was a sleazy dance instructor scamming ladies ... this was a different mystery Holly tried to solve herself, distinct from the blackmailing gigolo scamming ladies at the spa that she got mixed up in.    

• Like 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, gentlespirit512 said:

The news about Zeman is so sad ... in every interview I saw with her, she seemed like a very sweet person!

Here's some of Bobbie falsely accusing Laura of attacking her to get her in trouble in 1978 lol (I think she was trying to get Laura in trouble / sent to juvenile detention or something, since this was right after Laura accidentally killing that photographer guy -- Laura was terrified if she messed up again, she'd violate the terms of her probation) ... follow this rabbit hole and you'll likely find more late 70s / early 80s Bobbie stuff

Edited by SlovakPrincess
11 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

I think Greg Brady was a sleazy dance instructor scamming ladies ... this was a different mystery Holly tried to solve herself, distinct from the blackmailing gigolo scamming ladies at the spa that she got mixed up in.    

That's it! I got the plots conflated! I remember thinking that Robert and Holly were the Nick and Nora* of General Hospital at the time!

*The Thin Man movies starring the wonderful Myrna Loy and William Powell.

10 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

The news about Zeman is so sad ... in every interview I saw with her, she seemed like a very sweet person!

Here's some of Bobbie falsely accusing Laura of attacking her to get her in trouble in 1978 lol (I think she was trying to get Laura in trouble / sent to juvenile detention or something, since this was right after Laura accidentally killing that photographer guy -- Laura was terrified if she messed up again, she'd violate the terms of her probation) ... follow this rabbit hole and you'll likely find more late 70s / early 80s Bobbie stuff

Yes, because Bobbie wanted Scotty. If only Gloria Monty's ghost could possess the hacks that work for Frank and make them write good stories...

Whaaat???

• Like 1

I should say Holly did successfully expose the Greg Brady scammer by herself, but things don’t go so great for her during the spa / Beatrice murder mystery! 

Yes, Bobbie was trying to procure Scotty for herself at that point … eventually she resorted to getting her big brother Luke to help her mess with Laura and Scott, which is how his character was introduced.  

5 minutes ago, SlovakPrincess said:

Yes, Bobbie was trying to procure Scotty for herself at that point … eventually she resorted to getting her big brother Luke to help her mess with Laura and Scott, which is how his character was introduced.  

Yup. And that storyline-Luke and Laura-saved this soap from cancellation.

Jackie Zeman had so many powerful scenes. One of my favorites is in this episode.  As a result of an abusive relationship, Bobbie cannot have any more children. She and her beloved husband Jake plan a surrogate---until he asks Bobbie to swallow her pride and raise the child he fathered with Lucy Coe, who has already told Bobbie that they will be enemies for life.  The key segment starts at 39:40.  But if you start earlier, you'll get baby Robin and young Anna, Felicia and Frisco.  

• Love 2

Just finished watching the Susan Moore murder mystery story on YouTube and had a lot of fun. Lots of Quartermaine scheming scenes. And work from home king Robert Scorpio at his supercomputer and video phone. No wonder Burt Ramsey went bad with fancy Scorpio sending orders over 80's Facetime.

But all the future retcons made it ridiculous. Heather and Scotty are falling in love but now we know they already have a kid. And Drew is out there too but has nothing to do with the case or anyone's motivation.

Also fascinated by how Monica was allowed to treat baby Jason like he was just Alan's wagon wheel coffee table she refused to allow in the house. Obviously she softened later but no way say Ava could speak about baby Ace the way Monica talks about the kid.

But it was all worth it for how hilarious it is everytime we get shots of sad Scotty in jail with "No one knows what it's like to be the sad man..." playing in the background.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, Grinaldi said:

no way say Ava could speak about baby Ace the way Monica talks about the kid

Has Ava said anything about the giant cute baby? He doesn't seem to be on her radar at all, lol.

(edited)

Susan Moore story was good 

I'm on Jan 1985 and it's a bit hard as the YT vids are partial and scattered.

But it's kind of a slog. Whatever is going on with Sean- I'm just half watching it in the hopes it will pick up.

Frisco and Felicia- I was curious about these two for a long time, having never seen them. So far I'm kind of underwhelmed but off and on interested, so again kind of half watching.

I REALLY miss the Qs, there are some vids of them in 1985 but I haven't gotten there yet.

The story in Mexico and the Aztec stuff throughout 1984 was interesting. Must have pissed L and L fans to keep them separate through all that. Kind of an odd choice.

Edited by cleo

I rewatched the two episodes (July 14-15, 1981) in the Ice Princess storyline where Luke, Laura and Robert stowaway on the Cassadine yacht.

The last shot of the episode on the 15th was of the Titan departing for points unknown. I looked up the day-of-the-week for that episode expecting it to be a Friday cliffhanger. It was only a Wednesday! The Ice Princess cliffhangers were coming fast-and-furious at that point and there was another one to go on Friday, the 17th.

Unfortunately, the high gear pace begins to drag as the 'high seas' episodes wear on - a side effect of the 1981 writer's strike?

Watching 1985. I only watched the end of the Ginny Blake story, but I kind of wished I had watched the whole thing bc the end was good, and the actress was good.

I still find Frisco and Felicia awful. Primarily Frisco. He is not as abusive and controlling as Luke, but close.  Like I get that he's upset about Tony being shot but Felicia didn't shoot him.

Then there's a scene where he actually suggests that maybe her grandmother wouldn't love her or like her anymore bc of what happened to Tony. Like what?

I would've told him to GFY, hurt brother notwithstanding. 

(edited)

I've been watxhing 85. Never seen any of this before. Aztec Treasure- was really interesting in the beginning with the various schemes and conflicts bw Sean, Anna, and Robert. However, by the time they were on the train- man that dragged. Felt like they were on that train forever.

So Asian Quarter- I'm skipping alot bc I'm just not into the stuff with the pearls but- I'm not into kids, don't have kids, usually ff kids in soaps lol- but Robin, Robert, and Anna are pretty cute and just have some great chemistry. I don't know what it is, it just works. So I've mainly been watxhing scenes among the three of them, or just Anna and Robert.

It really is amazing how KM grew with the show. Something like that is why Infind the soap genre so special and unique, there are stories and characters built over a lifetime  in a way that no other genre can do 

Anyway my question is about 86. I wonder if the story with Anna and Mr Big or whatever the next crime saga is - is any good? I want to watch it but if Robert's gone it has less appeal for me. Kind of torn on it.

Edited by cleo
  • Like 3
(edited)

There's a big payoff to the Mr. Big story, and Robert is there for it.

Edited to add that, during the Asian Quarter story, there is a powerful scene between Tony and Frisco, one that I remembered to this day (and finally found again!).

Edited by JMO
  • Useful 1
On 1/10/2024 at 7:09 PM, cleo said:

I've been watxhing 85. Never seen any of this before. Aztec Treasure- was really interesting in the beginning with the various schemes and conflicts bw Sean, Anna, and Robert. However, by the time they were on the train- man that dragged. Felt like they were on that train forever.

So Asian Quarter- I'm skipping alot bc I'm just not into the stuff with the pearls but- I'm not into kids, don't have kids, usually ff kids in soaps lol- but Robin, Robert, and Anna are pretty cute and just have some great chemistry. I don't know what it is, it just works. So I've mainly been watxhing scenes among the three of them, or just Anna and Robert.

It really is amazing how KM grew with the show. Something like that is why Infind the soap genre so special and unique, there are stories and characters built over a lifetime  in a way that no other genre can do 

Anyway my question is about 86. I wonder if the story with Anna and Mr Big or whatever the next crime saga is - is any good? I want to watch it but if Robert's gone it has less appeal for me. Kind of torn on it.

They were on that damn train forever, lol.  Celia and Jimmy Lee were just the absolute worst, making their wedding guests take like a week off of work to dress up and sit on a train to nowhere.

I confess I stalled out in the middle of the Asian Quarter story and stopped trying to watch the 80s stuff for a long while (I have watched clips all over the place, and remember the late 80s from my childhood, but I was trying to do a watch all the way through).  

Anyway, your enjoyment of the Mr. Big story may depend entirely on whether you like the Duke character or not.  I remember liking Duke well enough as a character when I was a kid.... but actually going back and watching clips many years later, and I'm just annoyed to distraction by him.  I still really like the actor, while wanting to slap the character, if that makes sense?  lol

• Like 1
21 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

confess I stalled out in the middle of the Asian Quarter story and stopped trying to watch the 80s stuff for a long while

I'm almost at the end of it. I did skip a lot, but I started to watch a bit more of it at the end when Frisco was working with Sean. 

21 hours ago, SlovakPrincess said:

Anyway, your enjoyment of the Mr. Big story may depend entirely on whether you like the Duke character or not.

This is sort of the conclusion I've come to. I havent even seen clips of him, so I guess I'll find out. 

But I've been trying to figure out the order. I think I'm around Dec 1985. So I was thinking of watching some of Monica/Sean, and then Laurelton, and then Mr.Big/Duke is the order?

Although I'm not sure how much of Laurelton I'll be into. I will probably only watch Lucy's scenes to see how she starts. 

I sort of feel like I'm on the downward slope of good GH in the 80s. I have watched 94-2003 ish. So it's just 86-94 left, and I'm not sure how much it will appeal to me. I've been tempted lately to go back to the late 70s/early 80s, when the Qs were really good.

All I remember about Laurelton was that it was interminable with A LOT of Robyn Bernard wailing. And the big secret was a total letdown. Just watch the Lucy reveal ep and enjoy your life. None of the other characters lasted more than a year after it ended.

• Useful 1

I am watching Robin & Patrick scenes right now, and they named their baby Emma Grace. and I know like they probably just flipped in a baby name book and picked what sounded nice. but now it really makes Willow and Michael naming their Baby Amelia Grace just seem so dumb.

19 hours ago, Grinaldi said:

All I remember about Laurelton was that it was interminable with A LOT of Robyn Bernard wailing. And the big secret was a total letdown. Just watch the Lucy reveal ep and enjoy your life. None of the other characters lasted more than a year after it ended.

I rewatched the whole thing a year or so ago.  Yes, it was interminable. I was a fan of Jake and Bobbie, so that made some of it more tolerable. And I enjoyed the teamwork with Jake and Frisco to figure out Lucy's role, and their partnering with Anna in the denouement.  But poor Robyn Bernard was given almost nothing to do, for the entirety of her run on the show, apart from singing and crying. I felt bad for the actress, and really had trouble tolerating her character. 

• Like 1

And wasn't the big secret that she 

Spoiler

Got super drunk and walked down the steet naked?

The Lucy stuff was the only good thing. 

And yeah all the asked Bernard to do was cry. I watched some of the DL Brock murder mystery and her hysterical wailing was super grating.

• Like 2

Yes, that was the secret.  I can't even remember what role the secret played in the whole thing, but I guess it was supposed to be big because it was a small town. Can't remember why it led to killings.  But the denouement was more about them figuring out who the killer was, and if they would get there in time. 

It was a shame, because I really did enjoy the Brownstone era, but this was a low point for it.

Thanks for the info on Laurelton, I really didn't want to wade through it all, so it helps pare it down.

I'm watching the start of Sean and Monica's affair.  Before it started, Monica was convinced Alan was cheating on her but I never found enough of the story to see if it was true. This was Dec 85. 

Does anyone recall? It's bugging me lol.