Type keyword(s) to search

Endless Supplies of Gas and Other Nitpicks: It Doesn't Make Sense

• Start Topic

Lady Monkey Butt powder... must say I've never heard of that.  I'm pretty positively sure its not meant to be hilarious sounding, but it is.

But it makes think that if there was a gel or other moist lubricant version of that stuff and a woman told she was using it right then... I'd think she was asking me to go Ape-man on that derriere.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36

OK, I've never been in this topic, so I just clicked on the last page to see what was up and this  ^  was the only post on the last page. What an introduction!                                                                                                                        

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 6

OK, I've never been in this topic, so I just clicked on the last page to see what was up and this  ^  was the only post on the last page. What an introduction!                                                                                                                        

"Welcome to the Den of (Commentary) Iniquity.  May I take your jacket and show you to your seat?"

• Love 1

I know, I should just let it go.

It's bugged me, too - just seeing these people pop up from nowhere (and the town meeting wasn't nearly as large as I thought it would be, in the season finale). 

And if they had a psychiatrist there all that time, I agree with the other comment, re: CDB really needing one, after what they've been through. 

• Love 2

It's bugged me, too - just seeing these people pop up from nowhere (and the town meeting wasn't nearly as large as I thought it would be, in the season finale). 

And if they had a psychiatrist there all that time, I agree with the other comment, re: CDB really needing one, after what they've been through. 

Its ironically humorous because in the one of the later 2nd half of s5 episodes, I joked about how badly ASZ needed one and what a psychiatric session would be like with a number of CDB.  And now we've learned there actually was a psychiatrist on the premises the whole time.

• Love 1

Monkey Butt Powder is just powder with calamine powered in it. Lady is cornstarch so it doesn't kill you like talc. I live in FL so it's a life saver. Cures heat rash, poison and just all round sticky.

OT: I  noticed in the huge walker mob... all the lady walkers that had long hair had pretty nice hair. Long hair gets knotted and caught on things and picks up everything. They need to have one caught on something, pull away and leave her hair scalp and all.

• Love 2

Monkey Butt Powder is just powder with calamine powered in it. Lady is cornstarch so it doesn't kill you like talc. I live in FL so it's a life saver. Cures heat rash, poison and just all round sticky.

OT: I  noticed in the huge walker mob... all the lady walkers that had long hair had pretty nice hair. Long hair gets knotted and caught on things and picks up everything. They need to have one caught on something, pull away and leave her hair scalp and all.

You're right, to add to the 'realism' of it all.... even though it would be a pretty gruesome and disgusting sight to see.

• Love 1

I don't know about that, because despite what we see on TWD, I doubt a human could bite through heavy denim jeans. Oh, I'm sure they could draw blood, but I don't see human teeth going through the jeans, so no worry about turning from a bite on the legs/ass.

I've had a problem with this bite force thing for a while. I can't believe the rotted teeth of these walkers can get through denim or layers of cotton as easily as they do. I think the bites would hurt but I'm calling shenanigans on the walkers getting their teeth through clothing like David's multiple layers. Walkers are human, not dogs.

• Love 4

I've had a problem with this bite force thing for a while. I can't believe the rotted teeth of these walkers can get through denim or layers of cotton as easily as they do. I think the bites would hurt but I'm calling shenanigans on the walkers getting their teeth through clothing like David's multiple layers. Walkers are human, not dogs.

*Shrug* they're not humans either. Whatever they are can't be killed except by destroying the brain; which means that all of the internal organs are optional so they don't actually need lungs (or breathing I guess) or a stomach (or digestion I guess) or a heart (or nutrient flow I guess). Why shouldn't the changes that make internal organs optional also make some muscles stronger or strengthen zombie teeth?  Yeah, they started as human but whatever they are is radically different from human at this point.

Something I've wondered about recently, wouldn't most of their teeth be rotting out of their skulls by now? They're not drinking water with floride in it, I don't see a toothbrush or bottle of mouthwash in sight (aside from that one time Michone brushed) and they've been eating who knows what for most of their time on the road. Am I nuts to think someone should be having some dental problems by now?

Pretty sure you can get by with good genes UP TO A POINT, but overall...I want someone to lose a tooth please. It can be a back one so we don't have to see it, just gimme this, show.

Also, I just found this thread and was reading some back posts and wanted to comment on the dog discussion. Dog trainer here, and I would absolutely want one or two big dogs with me in the ZA. Not so much to protect me from walkers but to protect me from other live people.

The dog doesn't even need to follow up barking with a bite since most live people will respect big dogs barking at them and won't chance it.

As a smaller woman having some dogs would probably help me avoid getting "claimed"...

• Love 6

Something I've wondered about recently, wouldn't most of their teeth be rotting out of their skulls by now? They're not drinking water with floride in it, I don't see a toothbrush or bottle of mouthwash in sight (aside from that one time Michone brushed) and they've been eating who knows what for most of their time on the road. Am I nuts to think someone should be having some dental problems by now?

Pretty sure you can get by with good genes UP TO A POINT, but overall...I want someone to lose a tooth please. It can be a back one so we don't have to see it, just gimme this, show.

Also, I just found this thread and was reading some back posts and wanted to comment on the dog discussion. Dog trainer here, and I would absolutely want one or two big dogs with me in the ZA. Not so much to protect me from walkers but to protect me from other live people.

The dog doesn't even need to follow up barking with a bite since most live people will respect big dogs barking at them and won't chance it.

As a smaller woman having some dogs would probably help me avoid getting "claimed"...

Not to mention if you have to go with the last resort to stay alive, we've learned from CDB that dog(s) can be re-purposed as a food source - if its too hard to imagine doing something like that, just look at as mercy killing, you 'putting them down' (the hatch) before the walkers do........ couldn't promise your stomach wouldn't be barking at you later, though.

Not to mention if you have to go with the last resort to stay alive, we've learned from CDB that dog(s) can be re-purposed as a food source - if its too hard to imagine doing something like that, just look at as mercy killing, you 'putting them down' (the hatch) before the walkers do........ couldn't promise your stomach wouldn't be barking at you later, though.

Ar(f), ar(f), ar(f)....

• Love 3

I'm sure dogs are a legit enough food source if need be, but I don't think I could eat a dog I named and lived with. There HAS to be something somewhere other than dog meat to live on. There's at least one square mile of woods they've been walking circles in for a few seasons now, I'm sure some berries and whatnot can be scrounged up.

Even though we haven't seen it, we can assume the more "civilized" people have been brushing their teeth just by the comparison to Morgan's pet wolf, I believe.

• Love 1

Yeah seriously there are ways around this.  People did brush their teeth before modern plastic toothbrushes and toothpaste fer cryin' out loud.  They used twigs!  Or even actual brushes!  And stuff like tooth powder from salt, chalk, ground egg shells or oyster shells (yum) http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/12/AR2009041202655.html

Also the dog thing -- just convenient and expedient.  The dogs were gonna attack them anyway.  But yeah I was always annoyed that someone didn't go through the library (other than the "Self-Help" section, YUUU-JEEEN!) looking for books on how to ID wild foods.  That hobby has became pretty popular over the last decade or two.  We saw CDB foraging for mushrooms in S1E2, they should always be doing that, ALWAYS.  It would get kind of boring though (but not to me, I think I'd rather enjoy them looking for arrowroot in the swamps there).  I like a bit of "reality" in my zombie sci-fi postapocalyptic fantasy fiction, I guess. 

• Love 5

But yeah I was always annoyed that someone didn't go through the library (other than the "Self-Help" section, YUUU-JEEEN!) looking for books on how to ID wild foods.  That hobby has became pretty popular over the last decade or two.  We saw CDB foraging for mushrooms in S1E2, they should always be doing that, ALWAYS.  It would get kind of boring though (but not to me, I think I'd rather enjoy them looking for arrowroot in the swamps there).  I like a bit of "reality" in my zombie sci-fi postapocalyptic fantasy fiction, I guess. 

Seriously, they need one of the Alexandria supply runs to be raiding a library.  A walker fight among the stacks would be a pretty decent set-piece too.

• Love 2

Yeah seriously there are ways around this.  People did brush their teeth before modern plastic toothbrushes and toothpaste fer cryin' out loud.  They used twigs!  Or even actual brushes!  And stuff like tooth powder from salt, chalk, ground egg shells or oyster shells (yum) http://www.washingto...9041202655.html

Sure, but I don't think people who brushed with twigs were renowned for their oral health ;) Tooth decay actually has more to do with your diet than your brushing habits (but please try brushing with a twig for a couple years and I'm sure it won't help either), and that is another thing they are clearly lacking is proper diet.

However, morgankobi makes a good point in comparing the pet wolf to CDB, so obviously we are meant to think they are making some sort of effort off screen.

Edited by CoffeeAddict

Sure, but I don't think people who brushed with twigs were renowned for their oral health ;) Tooth decay actually has more to do with your diet than your brushing habits (but please try brushing with a twig for a couple years and I'm sure it won't help either), and that is another thing they are clearly lacking is proper diet.

But I think their diet is generally better than our diet in terms of tooth decay - high in scavenged roots and mushrooms and whatever squirrel or possum Daryl manages to shoot and low in twinkies. From what I've read, hunter-gatherers had better teeth than we do so ...

Edited by rab01
  • Love 2

This is exciting. Using the quote function for first time. Messed up last time I tried to reference an earlier post. Fingers crossed...Anyway it bothers me less here but did anyone ever watch "Under the Dome?" No one can leave, no one new comes in. CSI was cancelled so Marg Helgenberger jumped to "Dome." The story was "she's been there all this time but she's only now taking an interest in playing a leadership role" or some such thing. Okay...

And I don't think this is a spoiler but I did read the comics (or at least from #80 on) and there's approx 4O or so people at Alexandria at this time . Just FYI.

And they mention toilet paper on the comics too! Guess it's too mundane a detail for prime time cable.

Toilet paper was a popular subject in olden times on this board (and the other one). I believe we're all hoarders of the stuff. Oh yeah I watched Under the Dumb. There was someone who did hilarious recaps of that crap either here or back there. I should go see if they're still at it. Is UTD still at it? I just realized I have no idea.

• Love 1

Toilet paper was a popular subject in olden times on this board (and the other one). I believe we're all hoarders of the stuff. Oh yeah I watched Under the Dumb. There was someone who did hilarious recaps of that crap either here or back there. I should go see if they're still at it. Is UTD still at it? I just realized I have no idea.

UTD wasn't renewed after the finish of this last season. It's mostly a relief, but the band of misfits that had banded together at the end of the finale (before cancellation was known) would have made me keep watching, it was just so cracktastic. I'm also a "completionist" with most every show, no matter how bad--even The Event!

For recaps, check out Snookums's posts. Poor dear even recapped The Following to it's bitter end. And, yes, I was there the whole way, too.

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 1

UTD wasn't renewed after the finish of this last season. It's mostly a relief, but the band of misfits that had banded together at the end of the finale (before cancellation was known) would have made me keep watching, it was just so cracktastic. I'm also a "completionist" with most every show, no matter how bad--even The Event!

For recaps, check out Snookums's posts. Poor dear even recapped The Following to it's bitter end. And, yes, I was there the whole way, too.

Yes! Snookums. Thank you. I followed her recaps on The Following as well, another show I lost interest in. Cool!

I hope this is the right thread.I am sure this has been previously discussed but it keeps bugging me. why are there no child walkers in the herds? I know we've seen a few random children most notably the little girl in the first episode. But when you see these large herds there are never any children or teen age types for that matter. Any theories on this or just another oversight on the part of the writers?

I think you have to hand-wave this one. It's a lot of work to use kids (labor laws, unions, etc.) and going through the process of finding ones who are OK with this level of gore (and who have parents that are OK with it) and scheduling the make-up and shooting within the limited time kids can work, just for what are essentially extras in crowd-scenes probably isn't worth it.

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 2

So, I know I've brought up the lack of realism to see how well groomed some people are in the ZA - and this was from a couple of 'seasons' ago, but this really drives the point home of what I meant...

enhanced-26737-1417035868-12.png

While lovely, those pits are very hair (& grime) free, like even more so than dolphin smooth.

• Love 2

So, I know I've brought up the lack of realism to see how well groomed some people are in the ZA - and this was from a couple of 'seasons' ago, but this really drives the point home of what I meant...

enhanced-26737-1417035868-12.png

While lovely, those pits are very hair (& grime) free, like even more so than dolphin smooth.

I'm sorry... you were saying... what...?

• Love 4

I think we also have to hand wave the absence of anyone obese or short or otherwise not "lean and mean." I can't remember where or when but I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere at some point - that for the visual impact - they look primarily for tall, thin extras. (Bloated Well Walker is the exception.)

A friend of a friend lives down in Georgia and has done the day extra thing. Maybe I heard it from my friend and didn't read it.

• Love 1

I think we also have to hand wave the absence of anyone obese or short or otherwise not "lean and mean." I can't remember where or when but I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere at some point - that for the visual impact - they look primarily for tall, thin extras. (Bloated Well Walker is the exception.)

In terms of (pseudo-)realism, I think it would be reasonable to assume:

1. Most human all-you-can-eat buffets would have been easily-catchable zombie chow out pretty early in the ZA.
  2. I expect the exciting new Zombie Consumption Diet which is all the rage would have slimmed down any previously plus-sized participants PDQ.
  • Love 1

I'm late to the show but have they ever used noisemakers - the keychains that have alarms, a travel alarm clock, personal alarms - gas stations and most stores sell them. You know, if you see a wad of walkers closing in, you turn it on and throw it as far as you can.

• Love 2

I'm still not sure why they are short of food. The game should have exploded in numbers. The walkers couldn't get a deer unless they cornered it. Deer in VA overpopulate mostly due to cars. No critter that can't be killed by a person with their hands could be killed by a walker... maybe they bit a deer and it bit others and somewhere there is a herd of zombie-bambis.

• Love 1

I'm still not sure why they are short of food. The game should have exploded in numbers. The walkers couldn't get a deer unless they cornered it. Deer in VA overpopulate mostly due to cars. No critter that can't be killed by a person with their hands could be killed by a walker... maybe they bit a deer and it bit others and somewhere there is a herd of zombie-bambis.

1. Overpopulation or not, walkers tramping around through the woods all the time are going to run any wild game out of the area - rabbits into burrows, squirrels into tree nests, and deer into the next county.  You can't shoot what you can't see.
  2. Daryl's crossbow skills aside, zombie-killing skills don't necessarily translate into hunting skills.  I've yet to see a deer walk up to a human close enough to get shanked in the head.
  • Love 2

You know, if you see a wad of walkers closing in, you turn it on and throw it as far as you can.

Enid used analog wind up kitchen timers to misdirect walkers in exactly that manner...

I think I'd rather enjoy them looking for arrowroot in the swamps there

Why look in a swamp for cookies????....

• Love 1

The game should have exploded in numbers.

Nature seeks equilibrium, so if the population of deer and rabbits and squirrels explodes, there will be a corresponding explosion in the population of foxes and coyotes and hawks and owls. And as time goes on, large predators will become more of a problem for survivors; bears and wolves and mountain lions.

Edited by Bongo Fury
  • Love 2

Oh my.

The point of humans other than Daryl being unlikely to take deer makes walkers even less likely to bag them. They shuffle around slowly and smell awful. Deer aren't really that easy to hunt. Rabbits quickly go to ground, and squirrels to trees. Fish stay in water where walkers usually don't go.

I always wonder why dozens of them catch a guy like David, overpower him, And then fail to eat more than a few bites. I guess they're all skinny because they are such picky eaters?

• Love 1

I'm new to this thread, but it has been some pretty interesting reading going through it. And made me think about this kind of question...

I was wondering where - if you could choose - would be he best area to hang out in the ZA. I guess an island with a boat would be ideal but also probably occupied by bad humans. Florida with it's giant buzzards and gators munching on all that rotten meat. Maine or Wyoming - Do TWD freeze and when they thaw are they in even worse shape and rot faster. (Ever smell an unplugged freezer)

Maybe a high spot surrounded by gators?

...and I came to an interesting conclusion or two. Now Ideally I'd want to live in a solar powered home on a tropical Island, but since that would likely be difficult to defend, I thought of something else...

I think it would be a high rise of some sort, weirdly in the Georgia area - Atlanta or Macon - because I am familiar with the climate there and know it to be ideal for growing a lot of things, some even through the winter. Now the high rise I would want would be a solar-powered, eco-type one with one of those roofs that is also a greenspace and garden - if one of those is actually found in Atlanta or Macon. If not - I'd try to get to a place that has one, and hopefully helpful weather. I'd hit the nearest Home Depot and grab a bunch of seeds of stuff that I know grows well with little fuss. Leaf lettuce, Banana peppers, Roma tomatoes, Cuccuzi squash, asparagus beans, kidney beans, Swiss chard or collards, also a bag of potatoes or sweet potatoes, and if I can get them to grow, butternut squash (those things can last for months just sitting on shelf). Hopefully the roof garden would have some rain barrels or a nice fountain basin or something to catch water... a grill or fire pit would be nice too. I'd get some rat traps too, because they'd provide some good protein potentially. Ideally there would be some chickens for eggs (I could let them run around the garden eating the bugs), or maybe some pigeons. I'd scavenge all of the apartments around and get a hoard of canned meats and fish too. Now I'd also want a canning guide - and hopefully a supply of glass canning stuff in case my solar powered stuff  or fridge/freezers went out. Or if that's not practical and I have no freezer to freeze my veggies either, dehydrating is also good - I love sundried tomatoes, and dried beans are workable. Potatoes and sweet potatoes can also last.

My main concern would be people, since I don't think the zombies would too easily get up there. I'd have to find a way to barricade off most of the entrances to the top few floors and find a way to lock the one or two I would need /use. Hopefully I'd have a stack of books and other amusements - and ideally my hubby - and that would be where we'd try to live it out.

• Love 6

... Hopefully I'd have a stack of books and other amusements -

Woodbury and Alexandria with their book clubs and cocktail parties are an utter fantasy. In a survival situation, living a subsistence existence, you'll be working from the time you wake until you fall asleep. Figuring out what you'll be doing with your leisure time won't be a problem because you won't have any leisure time.

• Love 4

In a survival situation, living a subsistence existence, you'll be working from the time you wake until you fall asleep. Figuring out what you'll be doing with your leisure time won't be a problem because you won't have any leisure time.

After shoring up walls from the inside, they could have planted a big garden...even outside. Corn or some other low care crop. Procure a whole earth catalog and some survival books. try to find some chickens to breed. All the home stores and tractor supplies have boxed chain-link dog pens. Throw up one outside the enclosure with a trap door and some tin cans in a string. Send out a couple of people with sharp poles and start poking through the chain link like they did in the prison. Thin the herd.

Edited by crowsworks
  • Love 3

From a storytelling perspective, does anyone find it odd that characters on the TWD don't reminisce more often? Occasionally they talk about "the way things used to be" but no one really laments specific things. No one complains about the lack of cell phones in a time when communication is extremely difficult. I expect them to miss little things like music on the radio, their favorite TV shows, movies and books. Even now that they have relative safety in Alexandria no one has hunted out a library to pick up a book and we've seen no one fire up a DVD player to watch a movie. The reason I bring this up is that I find it difficult to believe that people raised in modern America and forced into such hardship wouldn't talk about the lives they had. If you took away my running water I'd bitch day and night.

• Love 1

Back at the prison, Carol was talking with Carl about how much she wished she could hear a plane flying overhead. (I was living in metro-Boston when 9/11 happened. When they sent us home from work I remember thinking how weird and wrong it was to have the total absence of that near-constant air traffic background noise.) Carl and Michonne were joking about soy milk (something breakfasty, anyway). Martin the Termite was reminiscing about going to church and watching football on TV. Beth took up writing in her diary again. Just small things like that.

I think that this far into the ZA, everyone is so focused on the realities of the here and now that the other reality of what used to be must either feel like a dream or is now just too painful to dredge up.

• Love 2

Even now that they have relative safety in Alexandria no one has hunted out a library to pick up a book and we've seen no one fire up a DVD player to watch a movie.

Were you referring specifically to CDB, or all the current Alexandria residents? 

IIRC when Carl was first introduced to Enid and the other teen ASZHats, Enid was reading comic books while the two boys were playing video games.

The reason I bring this up is that I find it difficult to believe that people raised in modern America and forced into such hardship wouldn't talk about the lives they had. If you took away my running water I'd bitch day and night.

We did see some of that in Season One, if you recall the clothes-washing discussion at the quarry pond; their giggling over Andrea's "I miss my vibrator" and Carol's whispered agreement was what instigated Ed's confrontation with the women, and Shane's severe beating of Ed.

Approximately two years into the ZA, however, I expect such reminiscences tend to get discarded before they're even vocalized as a waste of energy; it's not like any of it's coming back any time soon, after all. 

Although you do appreciate it when some of the old creature comforts resurface - reference CDB's reaction to hot showers in Alexandria.

Well... most of CDB, anyway.

Sorry, Daryl - didn't mean to lump you in with everybody else.

• Love 4

It still shows up once in awhile, like with idiot Aiden and his van of terrible death metal or his family oddly sitting in the dark listening to his Nine Inch Nails CDs.   I'll admit I did love Carl's "are you fucking kidding me?" expression when he saw the other sheltered lost boys of Alexandria playing video games since the last time he had seen a setup it was to moon over it briefly before stripping the wiring to secure the door of the house he and Rick were sheltering in after the fall of the prison.  I think generally though the farther out they get from anything new being made or it being part of their daily lives the more it starts to fade from their consciousness.  They've got too many convoluted plans to screw up to have time for that.

• Love 3

You all have good points. I just know that I would have to have a book or two in my bag. Survival is important but life has to be about more than that. We're being shown Alexandrians who aren't taking their survival seriously enough (although I suspect that will change in a hurry) and CDB who do nothing but fight for the next moment. At some point their has to be an equilibrium or the Alexandrians will be killed off and CDB will just devolve into a tribe of savages. Remembering what was lost should be a driving factor toward settling in and building something. 

This is a show that prides itself on its realism.

Zombies aside, I must disagree.  Even with all the really egregious stuff - unlimited ammo, gasoline, car batteries, etc - the thing that bothers me the most is how unreal the characters are.

Aside from Carol, they learn nothing.  Their own stupidity makes it like watching cartoon characters - that silly rabbit, when will he ever learn!  It really hurts my head.

• Love 1

So, is the zombie contagion the only communicable virus around now (on TWD)?  Like, I don't ever really see people dealing with something so small as colds since the show started, or even mentioned being ill or had been so.  Is all disease & medical maladies (aside from the zombie one) now gone??

Oh, wait, the first portion of S4 dealt with sickness that was killing people in the prison... but was that actual common illness or a by-product of the zombie contagion causing illness-like symptoms?  (see the neighbor-turned-dog-eating-zombie from FTWD)

I've reached the realization that STDs are about the least of anyone's worries in a ZA world, but considering all the unprotected (& protected) fornicating [& forced sexual relations] that must be occurring - among what survivors there are around the planet - must be nice to not have to worry about catching anything during or after, aside from some stray sperm catching an egg off guard.

Nits to pick from the "Knots Untie" thread:

How long was CDB in Alexandria before the Wolves broke in? Just a couple weeks, right? They had plenty of food. They let the ants get the cookies. Then in two months it's all gone. No forethought, no rationing.

Last episode, Rick tightened his belt. But this week, nekkid Abraham was downright pudgy—and they've still got cookies!

I find myself being insanely distracted by what the weather is supposed to be like. Jesus is wearing a leather trenchcoat and a beanie. Abe is rocking his fur collar again. Even Rick has a jacket. But Michonne and Daryl are selling tickets to the gun show. It just gets me all confused.

And where the fuck is Carol??? Why was Gabriel mentioned as a potential babysitter for Judith if she wasn't going with them? One save and he bumps Carol out of position? Hell no.

Carol is now babysitting Morgan rather than Judith. Perhaps she's schooling him whilst making cookies, à la the cheesemaker?

Some characters wear costumes that must've looked cool in the graphic novels but make zero sense on TV: Tyreese's knitted hat, Jesus's coat, Michonne's dreadlocks, Rick's hat that also fit kid Coral + Beth, Rosita's short shorts…

• Love 1