Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Pork Loin and a Beat-Up Monte Carlo

paulvdb

One mock trial and Christy is the Best Lawyer Ever and gets offered a paid position? Only on TV.

Tammy chasing Bonnie around the table and couch, hilarious. "Stop putting furniture between us!" "I've done this with cops, I can go for hours."

• Love 14

They have laid the groundwork in this and previous seasons that Christy is a good student and would be a good lawyer. Her problem is her lack of confidence and letting her doubt and other people get to her. 

• Love 9
37 minutes ago, ShortyMac said:

One mock trial and Christy is the Best Lawyer Ever and gets offered a paid position?

Mock trial and a paid position in the first semester?  Oh, I can't wait to grumble about this.  I knew they were going to go there with the former, as fiction loves to do, but I hadn't counted on the latter.

• Love 4

Okay, this “smart people cage fight” in which students compete in mock trial for a paid internship in the first semester is as ridiculous as it sounded a couple of hours ago, especially in whatever strip mall law school Christy is attending.  And, yo, objection sustained; counsel is testifying.  Plus, it’s still ridiculous what large percentage of the tiny number of students are taking notes on paper.  But, whatever; law school is something I cannot expect anything other than a show focused on it to handle remotely accurately.

I like that Adam follows Angie Harmon around the dial – and helps Christy prepare for her totally unrealistic mock trial.  And I love Bonnie providing the perfect defense, and Jill’s distaste for Oklahoma even as compared to Texas (my dad is from there, I have lots of family I grew up visiting there, and I hated it, so I’m always down for an Oklahoma joke).

“I’m 300/10, what does that mean?”  Tammy works for me as comic relief.  Bonnie and Tammy were fun, physically.  And making Adam join in on Clue – hee.

• Love 9
47 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Okay, this “smart people cage fight” in which students compete in mock trial for a paid internship in the first semester is as ridiculous as it sounded a couple of hours ago, especially in whatever strip mall law school Christy is attending.  And, yo, objection sustained; counsel is testifying. Plus, it’s still ridiculous what large percentage of the tiny number of students are taking notes on paper.

I'm currently in law school and I've generally had to skip all the law school scenes so I don't beat my head against the wall. Unfortunately I didn't skip through fast enough and caught a few seconds of Christy's mock trial. You are so right with how ridiculous this version of law school is. In addition to testifying, her so-called "know-it-all" classmate should have known to object on foundation as soon as Christy started asking about the picture of the phone without asking the witness to identify it. And probably should have at least tried to object to Christy as argumentative, while she was at it. Aside from that, if the show timeline is following approximately the real world timeline, those 1Ls should be in test mode, not goofing around with a mock trial that appears to be only for this one class that has like nine students in it (which, no). I appreciate that the show is trying to show us Christy being good at law school, not just tell us that she is, but surely there's at least one lawyer somewhere on the CBS lot who can tell them that this version of law school is just pure fantasyland?

On a note that probably matters to people other than me, I think Kristen Johnson is sliding into the show nicely. And I appreciated that Bonnie actually had thoughtful and rational reasoning for withholding the pills. Also every time I watch this show I'm reminded how good Jaime Pressly is at delivering a punchline. 

• Love 11

As soon as Hot Professor (Yum) said the other girl got the unpaid position I knew Christy was going to be hired on in a paid position. I kept saying “shut up you idiot. He’s gonna pay you!”  And then he did. 

Was it just me, or was this one kinda...meh?

Never not one time expected accuracy from this show. In a world where she not only gets into law school but can now miraculously afford it? Of course our special little snowflake is gonna get hired at a law firm her first semester.  If Elle Woods can try a murder case her first year? Why our Christy can get a job in a law firm. 

At least now she can finally quit waitressing. 

Edited by hnygrl
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, mmecorday said:

This episode made me laugh out loud. Tammy spitting out all those Tylenol had me rolling. Christy's descriptions of her classmates were hilarious.

I imagined her saying Tylenol the same way that the Cookie Monster says "Cookies Num Num Num".

• Love 2
13 hours ago, BabyVegas said:

Also every time I watch this show I'm reminded how good Jaime Pressly is at delivering a punchline. 

Word, she's the show's secret weapon, when she wasn't on for those few months the show wasn't the same.

CBS sitcoms are not known for their workplace realism so I wouldn't expect law school realness from Mom.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 4

And now we're back to too much Tammy.  She's funny in small doses, not so much when she's so central to one of the plots.

Christy's behavior during the mock trial would've been so unprofessional in a real court.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 6

How all you feel about the law school scenes is how, as a nurse, I feel about every hospital show on tv. Especially Gray's Anatomy.  When a medical show gets unrealistic, (like they all do), I call it bad medicine. You would think that the paid medical advisers would insist on some accuracy.

I enjoyed this episode of Mom. I did not think the mock trial was accurate though.

• Love 1
On 11/29/2018 at 6:53 PM, ShortyMac said:

One mock trial and Christy is the Best Lawyer Ever and gets offered a paid position? Only on TV.

In one semester she goes from having to retake the LSAT because she couldn’t get into the law school that supposedly accepts everyone to being the Best Lawyer Ever. 🙄 I really thought this show was better than unrealistically propping up Christy. I actually like her being someone who works hard but barely squeaks by. 

On 11/29/2018 at 10:48 PM, hnygrl said:

At least now she can finally quit waitressing. 

It sounds like the paid job is only for the summer, so she'll probably have to keep waitressing to put herself through the rest of law school. Plus she still owes Jill money.

I'm glad there's only one show - Silicon Valley - about my profession, so I can be blissfully ignorant when shows get other professions wrong.

• Love 1

Everybody has tales about tv shows not getting their profession right. I've touched plenty of ancient texts in Latin yet I have to come across one that I can decipher and translate in one go (okay that may be on me) AND then have it reveal to me some super-duper mystery that will change the course of history - instead of being a laundry list.

Anyhow I appreciated Bonnie trying to help Tammy and remembering her own troubles with painkillers.

• Love 5
On 11/29/2018 at 10:49 PM, mmecorday said:

This episode made me laugh out loud. Tammy spitting out all those Tylenol had me rolling. Christy's descriptions of her classmates were hilarious.

Oh Lord that Tylenal scene cracked me the hell up! Tammy is hilarious.

Great episode. I love this show.

• Love 6

Good episode. I'm with Jill on BB though I was always honest about it. The Canada thing seemed a bit weird and didn't really go anywhere.

Yeah the law school stuff is just ridiculous.

On 11/29/2018 at 9:29 PM, Bastet said:

Okay, this “smart people cage fight” in which students compete in mock trial for a paid internship in the first semester is as ridiculous as it sounded a couple of hours ago, especially in whatever strip mall law school Christy is attending.  .....

Hey can someone clue me in on the Law School?  I missed a bunch of episodes, and way back when I recall there were students in a cafeteria telling everyone where they got it, and Christie either got in nowhere or maybe some local LS.  I kinda remember it was no acceptances.  I also remember she got a scholarship from the local bar association.  Did they pull some strings?

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, MajorNelson said:

Hey can someone clue me in on the Law School?  I missed a bunch of episodes, and way back when I recall there were students in a cafeteria telling everyone where they got it, and Christie either got in nowhere or maybe some local LS.  I kinda remember it was no acceptances.  I also remember she got a scholarship from the local bar association.  Did they pull some strings?

Thanks in advance!

She got rejected from everywhere she applied. Then she went and talked to someone in admissions at the local LS and was told that she almost got in but she needed to improve her LSAT scores. She retook the LSAT and was accepted at the end of last season. 

In one semester she goes from having to retake the LSAT because she couldn’t get into the law school that supposedly accepts everyone to being the Best Lawyer Ever.

Well, she doesn't have to be the Best Lawyer Ever...just the best at the University of Ample Parking.

• Love 2