Type keyword(s) to search

The Hosts Thread: Joe and Mika Know Their Value

• Start Topic

48 minutes ago, Kemper said:

I wouldn't mind the black tops so much; my issue is that they don't fit her properly.  And I do understand the idea of a "uniform" type of look.  I had a friend who wore the same black pantsuit to work 3-4 times at week (at least) for years.  One day she would have a gorgeous scarf on with it.  Another day it would be a turtleneck.  Jewelry rotated (and it was not expensive jewelry).  Some days she would wear the pants with no jacket...just a nice sweater/blouse.  Meeka looks so drab and washed out.  She does not look like someone I want to turn on and face every morning; especially with the kinds of news mornings we have.

That said, I don't mean she should glam up completely; it it just that other morning anchors make and effort and she doesn't see the need to.  Yes, I know it has to be a grind getting up very early every day and facing tv cameras; I am not being sarcastic...it must be physically exhausting to have to be bright and perky every morning at 6 a.m.  But this is what she signed up for. At least Joe has gotten rid of the fleece; it is like he turned his sloppy/don't give a damn look over to her.  Come on!  You are a professional tv news person!  If you can't be bothered to actually do you job, you could at least LOOK the part.

Sorry, I just remembered all caps is akin to screaming; or so my son told me.  But I was screaming with my fingers and inside my head.

Mika must have given her scarves to Senator Amy Klobuchar who was wearing one today!.  It still amazes me that Joe got away with wearing fleece tops on tv for at least a year.

• Love 5

Her clothes look like they've been lifted off of the top of a pile of dirty laundry.  Her shirts don't fit well, and look far too casual for the event.  She's a newscaster, not a cleaning lady.  I half expect her to lift her hands and see she's wearing rubber gloves because we caught her in the midst of either cleaning or gardening. 
Is this haute couture?  Does her look have a name?  A style?

This show is crazy.

• Love 12
4 hours ago, Landsnark said:

Her clothes look like they've been lifted off of the top of a pile of dirty laundry.  Her shirts don't fit well, and look far too casual for the event.  She's a newscaster, not a cleaning lady.  I half expect her to lift her hands and see she's wearing rubber gloves because we caught her in the midst of either cleaning or gardening. 
Is this haute couture?  Does her look have a name?  A style?

This show is crazy.

*mic drop*

Bravo my friend and crazy doesn't even begin to describe it.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

She looks like she gets up at 5:45, pulls her hair back in a little ponytail, throws on some make up, grab whatever top is laying on the chair next to the bed and runs to her bunker. She doesn't even bother to style her hair and you know she has pajama bottoms on.  Pathetic. 

• Love 8
22 hours ago, teddysmom said:

She looks like she gets up at 5:45, pulls her hair back in a little ponytail, throws on some make up, grab whatever top is laying on the chair next to the bed and runs to her bunker. She doesn't even bother to style her hair and you know she has pajama bottoms on.  Pathetic. 

God she looks awful today.  That hairdo with those whispys on the sides . . . no, just no.  They more support your observation of rolling out of bed and plopping herself in front of the camera, grooming as she goes.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

God she looks awful today.  That hairdo with those whispys on the sides . . . no, just no.  They more support your observation of rolling out of bed and plopping herself in front of the camera, grooming as she goes.

Would NBC pay for a make up person in Florida? There has to be a technical tv camera person there.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, oakville said:

Would NBC pay for a make up person in Florida? There has to be a technical tv camera person there.

Well since these two decided to flounce down to Florida, the least they could do is pay for their own make up people as it must be a logistical nightmare to try and keep all of those remote locations/Brady Bunch boxes in synch.

• Love 2

I'm going to beat this dead horse.  SHE IS WEARING THE SAME TOP AGAIN!!  Although, this one appears to have been to the drycleaners, or, it's duplicate and not yet wrinkly. 
Has she ever described this new thing where she wears 1 kind of relatively shapeless black button down, or a shapeless black open neck sweater?  I'd love to read her explanation.

• Love 6

I find Meeka's tops to be funereal; they are not doing what she thinks they are doing for her.  When you turn it on in the morning, her "look" is so drab and distracting that it takes one right out of the show.  You notice how terrible her style is first thing before you pay attention to what is being said.  I miss the scarves. !!

Towards the end, I cannot remember who was speaking (maybe the new brunette economic reporter who looks like Natasha B except for the hair style) the not-being-present-in-the-studio was glaring because Meeka kept trying to talk over her.  By not being across the desk from the guest, one could not see that the guest was still making their point.  Rude and unprofessional.  But that is the MO for The Twins.

• Love 7
33 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

I'm going to beat this dead horse.  SHE IS WEARING THE SAME TOP AGAIN!! 

My sister texted me this morning the same thing "what the hell is Mika wearing? Why does she wear the same top every day?" 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Kemper said:

Towards the end, I cannot remember who was speaking (maybe the new brunette economic reporter who looks like Natasha B except for the hair style) the not-being-present-in-the-studio was glaring because Meeka kept trying to talk over her.  By not being across the desk from the guest, one could not see that the guest was still making their point.  Rude and unprofessional.  But that is the MO for The Twins.

Being in the bunker means that they don't get the same kind of non-verbal clues that help the flow of normal, in person, conversation. So you get weird pauses and more crosstalk. I actually think Joe is pretty good at moderating discussion remotely, but Mika is awful.

ETA She also has the unnerving habit of staring straight into the camera without blinking for long stretches.

From the show thread.

Joe was outraged that he was not nominated for a Grammy last year . His anti-Trump album was played many times on Morning Joe & I Tunes.. Joe felt that his music should be the anthem for Americans that were upset with Trump.

So Joe thinks that a straight, white male who is a Republican who helped promote Trump during the primaries and was more than happy to attend Trump's New Year's party after he was elected should be the voice of the Resistance.

Sure, why not.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 6
13 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Being in the bunker means that they don't get the same kind of non-verbal clues that help the flow of normal, in person, conversation. So you get weird pauses and more crosstalk. I actually think Joe is pretty good at moderating discussion remotely, but Mika is awful.

ETA She also has the unnerving habit of staring straight into the camera without blinking for long stretches.

Maybe it's just me but I notice that Joe is always facing the camera at an angle and I wonder if he thinks that makes him look like he is physically engaging with the panel (or God forbid he thinks he has a good side, he does not and the jig is up on what studio you are in my friend).   As for Meeks clothing choices, I know I have mentioned this before but I truly hope she doesn't think "dressing down" is going to give her more journalistic cred.  Right now she looks/acts like something straight out of basic cable news that are in the process of spreading their wings.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Chloesmom said:

As for Meeks clothing choices, I know I have mentioned this before but I truly hope she doesn't think "dressing down" is going to give her more journalistic cred.  Right now she looks/acts like something straight out of basic cable news that are in the process of spreading their wings.

It's not even about dressing more casually. It's that she looks disheveled.  

I don't think we're being catty or shallow, she's being unprofessional. She got this gig, the husband and they moved to FL, and now she acts like it's a huge pain in her ass to appear, so she's not going to make any effort and she'll show them!!! 

• Love 8

I really believe that Mika is wearing clothes she believes are non descript and take “being physically and visually appealing” off the table. Joe wore fleece. Poshertz is a wreck. Kornacki is always disheveled. Other men wear uniform level shirt and jackets so that is never noticed. a woman can do the same. It’s boring but if she were wearing low cut or tight sheath dresses she would be trading on her body and sex appeal. I don’t even think she’s doing it to add to her Cred as a journalist. She’s making a point that women newscasters don’t need to dress like hottie mchots to be on tv. I actually give her credit for this. Not that her looks aren’t important to her  

However, It may be a point assumed into by the current crop of young female journalists. You don’t see them broadcasting from the White House lawn or in halls of the Senate wearing stilettos and tight dresses as in a decade ago. Its their  choice how to dress and feel professional. Like Donny Deutch likes to be a peacock w his clothes. Others don’t. Given the proliferation of talking heads, panel discussions and pundits on our TVs over the past 3 years there are so many women on the news shows we can now see all manner and dress. I even think it’s evolving to dressing in a beautiful clothes that fit and flatter and that doesn’t mean you are trading on your sexuality as a woman(see Stephanie Ruhle example) 

Mika may think she is fighting a battle, making a point for women but I think she’s fighting a battle already won.  She’s late and out of date par usual  

That said I wish she would add back the scarves they were fun to talk about

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, novhappy said:

Mika may think she is fighting a battle, making a point for women but I think she’s fighting a battle already won.  She’s late and out of date par usual  

Yes and seeing as how she is a feather weight when it comes to being relevant and prepared for the day's news, her trying to be Rachel Maddow "what I wear doesn't matter", is not working.

Rachel may wear two similar blazers all week, but she always looks neat, her make up is done, and she is hella prepared. 

Mika can dress casually, or whatever but still have a pulled together look.   I'm sure she could hire a hair/make up person to be at their home at 5:30 am and get her looking like she's ready to go on air instead of "Mom just woke up and threw some clothes on to drive the kids to school then she's going back to bed". 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 9

Trading on her body and sex appeal is exactly what she did for the first 7 or 8 years of the show, while flirting so actively with Joe. The bare arms, short and tight dresses, and stilettos...now that they're married she's given up. Disingenuous for her to now think women don't need all the bells and whistles to get attention. Such a transparent hypocrite.

• Love 10

Tuned in and noticed, first thing, Meeka wearing what seemed to be the same drab top.  No necklace, pin or any type of adornment.  Damn, Andrea Mitchell is how old?  She manages to look sharp, fashionable and well-put-together without anyone thinking she doesn't know her value.  

Meeka sets a bad example for women in the workplace; it started with the bleached hair, short dresses and on-air demeanor.  Now she has gone in the opposite direction; it's not a good luck.  It is like she figures she has "made it" and can now pretend to be something she is not and has never been.  A serious journalist.

• Love 6

Rachel Maddow always wears a nondescript black jacket, always.  But she still looks put together, probably because she isn't rolling out of bed minutes before she turns on Skype to dial-into her program.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, izabella said:

Rachel Maddow always wears a nondescript black jacket, always.  But she still looks put together, probably because she isn't rolling out of bed minutes before she turns on Skype to dial-into her program.

And also, Rachel looks like she wants to - she’s happy to - be there. Mika hasn’t for a very long time. Her dourness accentuates the severity of the clothing she wears. 

• Love 4
On 1/18/2019 at 8:18 PM, plumbago blues said:

Trading on her body and sex appeal is exactly what she did for the first 7 or 8 years of the show, while flirting so actively with Joe. The bare arms, short and tight dresses, and stilettos...now that they're married she's given up. Disingenuous for her to now think women don't need all the bells and whistles to get attention. Such a transparent hypocrite.

Surely you are exaggerating!

image.jpg

Uh, maybe not.

(She does have great legs though.)

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3

I maybe should put this in the MSNBC thread, but am afraid it would be considered political; even though it is about one of our MJ hosts.

Haley Jackson was subbing for Stephanie Ruhle this morning; she and others were discussing the latest book that has come out from a former disgruntled Trump aide (maybe a White House aide...didn't see the intro).   Haley (Hallie?) brought up a passage from the book where Trump gleefully trashed The Gold Dust Twins and said Meeka was bleeding from a recent face lift or some such.  Verbatim, plus they showed it on the screen.  I sat up straight!  Because..... 

Of all the supposed dirt and mud from the book, why single out the "bleeding" comments?  Perhaps it was done on purpose?  Maybe to throw some unflattering light on Meeka?  There had to be other juicy stuff to quote.  Granted, I didn't hear the entire interview so maybe they discussed other unflattering remarks about other people.  I am probably just reading my own deviousness onto an innocent MSNBC host.

In the episode thread, Landsnark said:

Our Heidi has taken to TV like... um... dammit I can't come up with a clever turn of phrase.  She looks great and is more and more self-possessed and confident.  I'm a fan.    And it's sexist and thirsty, but she's really good looking (get off my back, you all had Thomas Roberts and his rock solid jaw and 10ft wide shoulders and piercing eyes).

I agree. Heidi is great. She's smart and she's good on camera. And she has such a great neck. 

Whatever happened to Thomas Roberts, BTW?

Kemper, the bleeding comment came up on Nicole's show yesterday, too. I think the author mentioned that some of the female staffers were appalled when Trump made the comment. I'm not sure if that was the context in which it was discussed. Anyway, Nicole snarked that it's hard to believe Trump has any problem with plastic surgery.

• Love 1

Both articles say this and it makes no sense.

“They’re broadcasting from a home studio in Jupiter [in Florida]. And there’s no formal set in their home studio, just a couple of (Washington) backdrops. Thus, a wide shot is out of the question.”

Why? The articles also say there are two cameras (and I will then posit, two camera operators). Have them sit together in front of one backdrop, it's not like we haven't seen them rub shoulders before.  They'd get the same result with one less camera operator. They're being untruthful about these new optics; there's more to the story. Some of it is about only needing to look "dressed" from the waist up and getting random off-camera time in the comfort of their home during every show. And some of it is about their arrogant, quirky and delusional ego trips, so they cooked up this "We can't get a wide shot" BS. (The upside is that lying indicates some self-awareness. Not a lot, but some).  

He's off again today (that's 6 days, right?), and she's off "with a family matter." Can't wait to see what he looks like on Monday. 

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, oakville said:

This is bad news. Mika & Joe do not like any criticism of their show. Joe will probably have a special rant prepared next week.

Maybe he can arrange for Willie to read it for him, since he will undoubtedly be "on assignment," etc.

I guess if you have to be "under the weather," it's best to be under Florida weather.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 2
Just now, millennium said:

Maybe he can arrange for Willie to read it for him, since he will undoubtedly be "on assignment," etc.

Ha!. I think Joe prepared the Moby Dick rant for Mika earlier this week. It takes time to write a good rant.

I wonder if Joe will demand that Farhi apologize to him. Joe used to write a column for the Post.

The real mystery isn't "where's Joe?" but how come it took somebody this long to notice.    The shenanigans have been going on for a long time now, starting with the tag-team schedule they started following last summer.   Almost every day one seat at the desk was unoccupied.

Another mystery is why, if they're broadcasting from Florida, haven't they built a proper set in their home?   It's not like they can't afford it.   Youtubers and folks who run local cable access shows have sets in their homes.  Kramer had one in his apartment in Seinfeld.   I'm hoping one of these days the DC background suddenly flies up, revealing that's really a window shade.  

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, millennium said:

The real mystery isn't "where's Joe?" but how come it took somebody this long to notice.    The shenanigans have been going on for a long time now, starting with the tag-team schedule they started following last summer.   Almost every day one seat at the desk was unoccupied.

People on set in NYC are probably so annoyed they’re talking about it now.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, XOQueens said:

People on set in NYC are probably so annoyed they’re talking about it now.

It grates against my work ethic which is why it irritates me.   They're supposed to be there and they're not.   It's like they're taking advantage and flaunting it.  But if I'm annoyed, I can only imagine how the set people must feel.   They have to be there every single day regardless of what's going on in their lives.   To see these two pampered ninnies, who work 3-4 hours a day and make millions, get away with not showing up day after day must be maddening.

• Love 6

Stone's arrest on charges that he sought stolen emails "at the direction of a senior Trump Campaign official" is a huge development. By the time the hosts (maybe) come back to work on Monday, the arrest and the hearing in federal court later this morning will have been covered in depth by American Journalism. There won't be much left to say. 

Karma. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, millennium said:

It grates against my work ethic which is why it irritates me.   They're supposed to be there and they're not.   It's like they're taking advantage and flaunting it.  But if I'm annoyed, I can only imagine how the set people must feel.   They have to be there every single day regardless of what's going on in their lives.   To see these two pampered ninnies, who work 3-4 hours a day and make millions, get away with not showing up day after day must be maddening.

Everyone who works on camera for MSNBC undoubtedly has a situation in their private lives, whether for long or short periods of time, that would be greatly eased if they could work on camera from home. Ratings, schmatings. Shouldn't the #2 and #3 show hosts (at least) get the same dreamy deal? Is this the future of MSNBC? All hosts at home, all guests in studio? If not, why not? Why just these clowns? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, suomi said:

The articles also say there are two cameras (and I will then posit, two camera operators)

Nah.  The cameras don't need to move so there's no need for an operator.  They just make sure the balances/colors are correct, flip the feed on, get word from NYC that it looks ok before the show, and they're good.  They sit in frame, so there's no need for a camera operator.
SNL could make a really good skit about this.  Joe in bed, writing things, and then Willie opening an envelope and reading on air, "I just got this mailed in from Joe and Mika on assignment, "trump sucks.""  See, cuz they're mailing it in.

• Love 6
50 minutes ago, millennium said:

Another mystery is why, if they're broadcasting from Florida, haven't they built a proper set in their home?   It's not like they can't afford it.   Youtubers and folks who run local cable access shows have sets in their homes.  Kramer had one in his apartment in Seinfeld.   I'm hoping one of these days the DC background suddenly flies up, revealing that's really a window shade.  

Is it possible that Mika & Joe want MSNBC to pay for the studio? Would the studio be allowed in the gated community that they live in ?

Why on earth can't they just drive to the nearest NBC affiliate, do their few hours and then go home? It sure seems to work for about 95% of not just their guests, but with guests on many shows. Yeah, you may have to put on a pair of pants for the drive, but the optics would be improved, and it might show a smidge of giving a f**ck.

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, Landsnark said:

Nah.  The cameras don't need to move so there's no need for an operator.  They just make sure the balances/colors are correct, flip the feed on, get word from NYC that it looks ok before the show, and they're good.  They sit in frame, so there's no need for a camera operator.

Oh, thank you for the heads up, but now it's skeevy. I thought there were a couple of, uh, chaperones. Ewww. If it's just the two of them they don't need to be "properly attired."

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Landsnark said:

SNL could make a really good skit about this.  Joe in bed, writing things, and then Willie opening an envelope and reading on air, "I just got this mailed in from Joe and Mika on assignment, "trump sucks.""  See, cuz they're mailing it in.

I still don't get how they handle the audio. If they're sitting right next to each other, wouldn't you hear Joe on Mika's feed and vice versa?

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Eliot said:

I still don't get how they handle the audio. If they're sitting right next to each other, wouldn't you hear Joe on Mika's feed and vice versa?

Directional mics.  Also there could be baffles on the ceiling, floor, other walls, and in between them.
Potentially the soundboard in NYC pots them down slightly when someone else is speaking, although that's unprofessional.  You don't want to hear Mika sound like a whisper for the first syllable she says as the board operator pots her up to normal volume.  Usually mics are kept open at the right levels so a spontaneous thought comes through clearly.   It's possible that Joe or Mika may have to signal somehow that they'd like their mics to be hot in order to say something.
There can be 6 people shoulder to shoulder on set, and we don't hear a speaker come through someone else's mic.  Although every know and then you hear a disaster occur in the newsroom where it sounds like a metal trashcan was just heaved across the floor.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, millennium said:

Kramer had one in his apartment in Seinfeld.  

Yeah but he had the Merv Griffin set stuff from the dumpster!!  All JoMika has is some cardboard backdrops and a chair. They don't even have theme music or snacks. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, plumbago blues said:

and it might show a smidge of giving a f**ck.

You just nailed my biggest objection to the bunker strategy. It makes it look like they give no fucks. Not for the show, not for MSNBC, not for their guests, their audience, Willie etc.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Chloesmom said:

The truth is that MSNBC has the f** you attitude. They treat MJ like a bad but cheap to produce reality show and they don't care.

Since ratings haven't tanked, why pull the plug?

Mika and Joe do know their value. They're getting the last laugh. Making big bucks to do nothing.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, xaxat said:

You just nailed my biggest objection to the bunker strategy. It makes it look like they give no fucks. Not for the show, not for MSNBC, not for their guests, their audience, Willie etc.

I wonder if Mika & Joe would dare publicly defend the Florida Bunker situation. They could argue that they are moving away from "washington inside the beltaway thinking"

Perhaps they could argue that Florida is a key battleground state for 2020. Joe's knowledge of Florida politics would be invaluable. ? They have to stay on the ground till 2021.