Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

Sloppiness. Christie Laing played Diggle's love interest in s1.  Let's just look up the old files instead of actually doing some work.

Didn't his fiancee just die less than 6 months ago??

I guess it would have been seven at that point.  That's a fair bit of time in TV land.

I can buy it.  There's a saying that when a man remarries quickly, it's because his first marriage was good. When a woman remarries quickly, it's because hers wasn't.

• Love 2

"Not the scary kind of stalking."

Well ok then. Glad we cleared that one up.

WTF. I despair.

Heh. I mean, I get what he's saying - that he doesn't mean her any ill will or maybe that he isn't a danger? But he probably didn't help his case all that much.

But it will always be the scary kind of stalking when accompanied by Brandon's crazy eyes!

In his defense what can he say? The EPs don't view anything they've done with Ray as stalking, creepy, sexual harassment. As an actor currently employed with the show and hoping to get a spin-off, he can't actually say...man Ray is such a creeper.

• Love 13

Stalking is stalking. It is never a positive thing. Whether it is professional or personal. Therefore it is always scary and creepy and unwelcome. But I feel bad for BR, he obviously understands what people are saying. (Something the EPs still refuse to see) He is trying to make it less awful but what can he say? No matter what as long as people call it stalking, everyone will have a hard time putting a positive spin on it. 

• Love 9

Sloppiness. Christie Laing played Diggle's love interest in s1.  Let's just look up the old files instead of actually doing some work.

I've noticed that a few sites that did current episode reviews still used the old season 1 show description to describe Arrow (the one that still lists Tommy and Moira, but doesn't mention Felicity).

• Love 1

These reviews of 310 and 311 by WeMinoredInFilm are worth reading (some excerpts below)...

TV REVIEW: ARROW, “LEFT BEHIND” (S3,EP10) – ARROW WITHOUT ARROW IS SURPRISINGLY COMPELLING
http://weminoredinfilm.com/2015/01/22/tv-review-arrow-left-behind-s3ep10-arrow-without-arrow-is-surprisingly-compelling/

It’s like Arrow’s writers have been slowly chipping away at me for a year and half now, throwing one insane plot after another that I simply had to rationalize my way through.... Sure, some of those stories ended producing compelling drama, but usually in an “I still hate how this started, but I just learned to ignore that” kind of way. Then the mid-season finale brought just the latest stupid plot twist, revealing that Thea killed Sara but it wasn’t really her fault; Malcolm brainwashed her. An entire half-season of the show had been building up to that point, and that’s really the card they wanted to play? That was finally my “You know what? Screw this show!” moment.
Others might accurately look at it and conclude, “It’s a hokey, soap opera comic book show. What else did you expect?...   I’m sure that’s the type of quote the CW would just love to put on posters: “Arrow: Hokey, But Fun.”  That “eh, just go with it” attitude toward Arrow seems especially tempting to me at the moment, though....If you can “just go with it” then holy crap was “Left Behind” ever a super fun and effective episode of Arrow.
Laurel finally became Black Canary, which is one of those “This is where the show is going with this, and if you don’t like it you’re kind of screwed” propositions.

TV REVIEW: ARROW, “MIDNIGHT CITY” (S3,EP11) – PLEASE, STOP THE INSANITY, TELL QUENTIN ABOUT SARA!
http://weminoredinfilm.com/2015/01/29/tv-review-arrow-midnight-city-s3ep11-please-stop-the-insanity-tell-quentin-about-sara/

The problem is that Arrow has a nasty habit of doing a half-assed job with character motivations, and they just generally double down on regrettable storylines, hoping they’ll wear us down until we finally give into liking what they’re doing.
At this point, the damage done to Laurel Lance as a character is so severe that many viewers will simply never be won back, especially since her ascent to Black Canary first meant the death of Sara (not all fans feel that way, of course, but a lot of them seem to).   However, it really seems like the show is fully aware of how ridiculous it is for Laurel to parade around as Canary after just a couple of months of boxing lessons.... Are you so opposed to the idea of Laurel Lance being Black Canary at this point that nothing will change your mind? Or are you kind of intrigued to see her start out as a pretty shitty Black Canary, someone who needs more training and has to learn the hard way that the real reason to follow in Sara’s footsteps is not to honor her memory but instead to help the helpless (Yes, I totally stole that last line from Angel)? I am surprised to find that I am in the latter category...
Ray is meant to be a better version of Oliver, repeatedly shown to be more emotionally available, pursuing Felicity instead of pushing her away, and he presents her with an opportunity to save him in a way she couldn’t with Oliver.   It all seems so smart on paper, but I’ve never been able to get past seeing Ray as more or less buying Felicity, stalking her, and coming off as hopelessly and dangerously naïve as opposed to endearingly naïve.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Now here's the kind of review that the Arrow EPs like...

Last episodes enough to give a nerdgasm
Published on February 2nd, 2015
DC on TV with Chris Santiago  Flash/Arrow Review
http://fiusm.com/2015/02/02/last-episodes-enough-to-give-a-nerdgasm/

And since we’re now on topic of Black Canary, I feel as if there needs to be a few words said about Laurel. I’ve never been a fan of Black Canary in general. So, seeing all the complaints that people are having for Laurel taking up her sister Sara’s mantel as a vigilante doesn’t faze me that much. However, with that being said it does lead me to feel excited to see the uprising of Laurel’s fighting skills. It’s mentioned throughout the whole episode that she doesn’t have the skills that the rest of the gang has; all she has is a law degree and she is not the fighter her sister Sara was. This not only motivates Laurel to keep on fighting crime to become the hero her sister once was, but it gives me more incentive to watch her character development. It’s always great to see the underdog come out on top, and I believe we’ll be seeing that very soon from Laurel.
Edited by tv echo

Here's an interesting interview (hint: JI likes Laurel/BC)...

Arrow Talk With Former Birds Of Prey Editor Joe Illidge
By Nikolai Fomich   Posted February 3, 2015
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/02/03/arrow-talk-former-birds-prey-editor-joe-illidge/

Joe Illidge: At the very least, Laurel’s road to becoming the Canary is impressive because it’s earned. Laurel has gone through a personal crucible of grief, anger, disillusionment, addiction, and now grief again, over the span of two and a half seasons. The same way that you can’t watch the final episode of Breaking Bad and say that you knew the Walter White in the first episode had it in him to become that person, I stopped believing that Laurel would inevitably become the superhero from DC’s Birds of Prey monthly comic book.

I’m glad I was wrong, because Dinah Lance, the Black Canary, was one of my favorite female superheroes before and while I was editor of the comic book series she starred in, so I want to see how long it takes Laurel to become that person, become that formidable a person and self-assured in her ability to be a crime fighter.

Since the comic book version of Black Canary was also forged through loss and the personal realization that fighting within government organizations was not enough to ensure justice was done, in that way the comic book and television versions are perfectly in synch.

Edited by tv echo

It seems like Laurel as the new BC remains a divisive character with the media as well.  The articles I've read that are positive view Laurel as the underdog and like the idea of watching Laurel go through her training until she metamorphs into a competent BC.  The ones that are negative view Laurel as the selfish Laurel of the past two seasons and are still skeptical of Laurel putting on the mask and costume with little training or character development.

This whole article is worth reading, but I've quoted an excerpt below...
Arrow Discussion: Does Laurel’s character even work as Black Canary?
Posted on February 3, 2015
https://girloncomicbookworld.wordpress.com/2015/02/03/arrow-discussion-does-laurels-character-even-work-as-black-canary/

At the end of the day I’m all for more female presence on Arrow, but a strong female character isn’t just one who can kick butt, she needs to have complexity and actual good traits, which Laurel’s character has yet to develop. Laurel’s character right now is very reactionary and isn’t sure who it’s supposed to be.

Arrow kind of dug themselves into a hole by creating the Sara Black Canary without developing the Laurel character properly, because it’s going to be hard for people to get on board with Laurel’s character now that we’ve already seen such a good version of the Black Canary character.

But I still have faith that the Arrow writers can find a way to make the Laurel Black Canary character awesome. But perhaps the best thing to do was to actually develop the Laurel Lance character more before making her the Black Canary, because I just don’t think she’s ready for that mantle yet.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I think the development part of Laurel's character is the main issue. They separated her from the main plot in S1, in S2 they pretty much pushed her into invisibility, then now in S3, they are BAM she's Black Canary. Storytelling doesn't work like that, unless you are just here to see people dress up in funny costumes and watch stunt doubles fight each other. 

I've also seen reviewers that think Laurel is the most three dimensional female on the show because she had plots outside of Oliver but it's the acting that brought it nowhere.  

I think Laurel will go down as one of the most divided characters on TV.

• Love 5

"I still hate how this started, but I just learned to ignore that" - well, that accurately sums up how I feel about the last year or so. It's also the reason I've dropped the show a couple of times. I feel like some of these storylines turn out okay in the end, but they're prevented from being epic by the half-baked, sloppy storytelling that goes on at the beginning or in the middle. Slade/Deathstroke, Isabel, Laurel's addiction, Roy's ascension to Arsenal - I felt this way about all of it. They crowd the board, ensuring no one character gets enough story, and they're impatient - they want things without working through the story to get to them, like wanting Insta-Canary and creating Sara to get her when they should have spent that time developing the BC they apparently really wanted.

And I totally disagree with that comic dude - this story bears only a passing resemblance to any BC origin story I've ever read, and that includes Dinah Drake from The Flash. The fact that they've utterly failed at making Laurel a sympathetic character only compounds the sloppy transition to 'hero'

• Love 10

Must of the reviews I read were negative, there were some positive but I would say the biggest reaction is non-reaction. I was surprised at the number of reviewers that were kind of like "Well it is what it is."

Honestly, I think that it would be getting a more positive reaction if they didn't have A) the lying to Quentin and B) the out of character actions of the other players.

I saw a lot of positive reaction after 3.10 from people I wasn't expecting to like it. 3.11 shot all that goodwill down.

Its episode to episode with Laurel. I think she may have another 'good' episode with 3.12 because the focus won't be on her, but 3.13 may be another 3.11.

• Love 5

Must of the reviews I read were negative, there were some positive but I would say the biggest reaction is non-reaction. I was surprised at the number of reviewers that were kind of like "Well it is what it is."

Honestly, I think that it would be getting a more positive reaction if they didn't have A) the lying to Quentin and B) the out of character actions of the other players.

I saw a lot of positive reaction after 3.10 from people I wasn't expecting to like it. 3.11 shot all that goodwill down.

Its episode to episode with Laurel. I think she may have another 'good' episode with 3.12 because the focus won't be on her, but 3.13 may be another 3.11.

Bolded - THIS. I was kind of expecting more people to come around to Laurel (and some certainly have) but on the whole I've been quite surprised by how meh the reaction has been in general. It's not really 'YES! OMG! YAY! Laurel is BC woop woop!' It's more like 'well, at least she has something to do now' or 'it's better than it was' which IMO is not really what they were going for. It's pretty bad when the most you get about a heroic origin story is a shrug.

• Love 2

Most of the positive reactions I hear about Laurel are "She wasn't that bad this episode." 

"This episode" being the key word for me. If you have to mention that a character was likable in one episode, something is still wrong with that character. 

I've also seen reviewers that think Laurel is the most three dimensional female on the show because she had plots outside of Oliver but it's the acting that brought it nowhere. 

Yeah, she had plots outside of Oliver -- and that just made her utterly insignificant on the show. Cut her off and nothing really changes for the other characters. It's not just the acting, it's that the show hasn't created an effective niche for her. Shoe-horning her into the BC role is not going to help in the long run. I mean, 2 eps of her in costume in I'm already seeing viewer fatigue, LOL! It's utterly foolish for me to hope but when the EPs said something about a huge left turn, I was thinking maybe it could be Arrow saying no we're no longer doing a BC story, Laurel has had her journey and that's it. She's gonna go back to being a DA and we're going to make her an effective one. (I did say foolish thinking, right?) But that left turn comment has more to do with Malcolm and Ra's, I think.

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 1

I think this is exactly what they were going for, instead. She's been a huge problem, and they know it, so they're making her evolution feel justified, but kinda subdued at the same time. They know that, had she been super competent from day 1, everyone would cry foul, and critics are effectively praising them for this approach. 

I think they're hoping she will grow on people with time, while making her more relevant one jump off a window at a time.

So, since her attempts right now are mediocre on purpose, of course no one will rave about her. But just wait. She's going to have her big hero moment, with people stopping questioning how that even happened, just being so glad that she's so awesome!

Edited by looptab

The problem is that making her stumble at the beginning of the episode and super competent 40 minutes later is not good character development.

It has painted such an ominous picture and spawned so many plausible worst case scenarios, I don’t know if I would even bother watching if I didn’t have to write a review for the episode. But in order to keep any shred of credibility I have to actually criticize this show, I will have to watch it no matter how angry it makes me at the end – and no matter how many others share my fury.

---

What we know for certain so far is that the line “I don’t want to be a woman you love” is said, most likely by Felicity to Oliver. Guggenheim has gone on to state that she will be “mad as hell” in her reunion scene with Oliver, while Oliver himself is “tired.” But although he has also teased that the episode contains one of his favorite Olicity scenes, his definition of favorite is rather different from what myself and many others may think in this context.

---

That doesn’t mean it isn’t highly likely that Guggenheim and company are about to do it in the absolute wrong way. And it doesn’t mean it isn’t highly possible that they’re about to seriously damage Felicity in doing so, if they haven’t started already.

The criticism is starting to build, and not just in fringe circles of the fandom, over Felicity not being hysterical enough over the death of the man she “supposedly” loves, over Felicity still being drawn to Ray even so soon after Oliver’s death, and in how Oliver has stated his love three times while Felicity hasn’t once – leaving aside how Oliver has done it the wrong way every single time. Now this week’s episode is bound to make her look worse, even before Oliver comes back.

---

I have repeated these arguments over and over in some form throughout the season, to no avail, as if anyone was listening and as if it made the show hysterical instead of me.

I love Robert Doughtery's reviews of Arrow.  In this case, he's saying exactly what I'm worried about.

• Love 2

This article is a preemptive rant about this Wednesday's episode, so it contains quite a few spoilery bits.  Don't read if you haven't been keeping up with spoilers!!  It's pretty interesting, and the author voices his concerns about the damage they may be doing to Felicity.

http://www.themovienetwork.com/article/preemptive-rant-against-weeks-arrow-ending

That article pretty well summarizes my fears about what they're doing with the Felicity character.  I especially agree with this part:

Characters determine plot ideally, not the other way around. Arrow has forgotten that too often this year -- ....

The best shows do not do what Arrow is seemingly about to do to Felicity, in order to make her fit into a stereotypical role and a stereotypical plot she never should have even been considered for. The best shows do not punish Oliver not once, not twice, but three times in the span of 12 episodes when he’s ready to make a real breakthrough, in increasingly clichéd ways, just to make him miserable for several more episodes until the cycle starts yet again with no end in sight.

The best shows do not force characters apart like this for the sake of filling time that should be filled in much more innovative and imaginative ways, and isn’t afraid to have characters work through things together as true partners. Even if it means early resolutions and the actual need to fill time with more unpredictable plotlines and character development – or actual time to see characters be happy and successful together before the next season starts.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 9

Yes, that whole Robert Doughtey rant is gold.

It seems like Laurel as the new BC remains a divisive character with the media as well.  The articles I've read that are positive view Laurel as the underdog and like the idea of watching Laurel go through her training until she metamorphs into a competent BC.  The ones that are negative view Laurel as the selfish Laurel of the past two seasons and are still skeptical of Laurel putting on the mask and costume with little training or character development.

Another way of comparing the reviews is Who is writing them?  How much credibility do they have in terms of general criticism or are they fan sites?

It seems to me that the positive reviews come from more obscure sites that deal with comic books and genre things.  A couple of reviews linked here since the last episodes are guest reviewers, Laure fans who asked if they could contribute to the site. 

The mainline TV critics -- Mo Ryan, Alan Sepinwall, Matt Roush (TV Guide), Robert Doughtery (TMN), Vulture, aren't happy with the way things are going this season and especially the way they are going with Laurel.  And then there's John Campea, big enough fan to run the ArrowAfterShow who has now quit over her.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 12

I think their issue ties back to casting for both Laurel and Ray. They seem to hit gold with the lesser known actors - I think KC and BR are their biggest names (just compare, I wouldn't call GG known) - and in both cases I feel there's some bad casting decision at play. I'm of course excluding the older generation - the character parts, so to speak, where they've struck gold. Again because they went for quality.

Edited by romantic idiot
  • Love 9

I think Brandon Routh is effective in terms of bringing the press to the show, and if they detached hm from Felicity's hip the character could be an okay recurring and might have a shot.at a pilot.

I don't know why they cast KC but once they didn't they should have written to her acting strengths.

• Love 2

Oh please.  Did that reviewer actually attempt to draw a parallel/comparison to Walter Fucking White and Laurel Lance.  LOL ...Just no..  That only marginally works if Laurel (SPOILER ALERT) turns into Heisenberg.  And I am rather insulted as a huge Breaking Bad fan that show was even mentioned in an article about Arrow.

Edited by catrox14

This article is a preemptive rant about this Wednesday's episode, so it contains quite a few spoilery bits.  Don't read if you haven't been keeping up with spoilers!!  It's pretty interesting, and the author voices his concerns about the damage they may be doing to Felicity.

http://www.themovienetwork.com/article/preemptive-rant-against-weeks-arrow-ending

Robert Dougherty's reviews of "Left Behind" and "Midnight City" are also worth reading (can't wait until he posts his "Uprising" review)...

Arrow S3: E10 - 'Left Behind'

By Robert Dougherty January 22, 2015 08:08AM EST

http://www.themovienetwork.com/review/arrow-s3-e10-left-behind

The battle between being moved by the short term of an episode, and absolutely dreading the worst in the long term, is no more evident than with Felicity. Much of Left Behind works as much as it ultimately does because of Rickards, in work that would be considered a serious Emmy threat if it was on any other network in a show of any other genre – even in a world where the CW now wins Golden Globes. But as unbearably powerful as Rickards and Felicity are, and as much as they avoid going over the top in their grief for now, one must remember that Arrow doesn’t have a stellar track record for depicting grieving processes and serving characters well in them – such as Laurel on more than one occasion.

Arrow S3: E11 -- 'Midnight City'

By Robert Dougherty January 29, 2015 08:57AM EST

http://www.themovienetwork.com/review/arrow-s3-e11-midnight-city

Felicity has been the light and the one unifying element that Arrow fans could get behind, but now her golden aura may be taking a greater hit with more and more fans now – with even more to follow in that view after next week. It is one thing to have the mistakes of this season harm Olicity, but if Guggenheim and company are really willing to let Felicity go down with it in the eyes of a certain section of fans – intentionally or not – it is the most distressing consequence yet of their troubling way of thinking this season.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

Arrow Review 3.12 – ‘Uprising’
http://411mania.com/movies/arrow-review-3-12-uprising/

The writers are attempting a redemption arc for Malcolm, yet in no way am I sold on this. He is one of the biggest criminals in this universe and just because the writers feel like it, we are supposed to have empathy. In no way ever should these people be debating the situation: luckily Felicity and Diggle talk some sense into the group and they deny his help.

Arrow Season 3 Episode 12 Review: Uprising
http://www.tvfanatic.com/2015/02/arrow-season-3-episode-12-review-uprising/

This was the beginning of Malcom Merlyn's redemption. It's still my belief that he is beyond redemption, but it appears to be inevitable,,,.  Oliver's return is wrapped up in Malcolm's redemption story, and I can't help but wonder if Oliver won't someday regret the decisions he's making now as Malcolm regrets what he started all those years ago....  It would be impossible to stand by a man who wanted to stand beside Malcolm Merlyn. Felicity doesn't think the prospect sounds at all appealing....  Uprising" was a bit of a let down. Propping up Malcolm Merlyn comes at a terrible cost.

Oliver & Felicity Reunite on 'Arrow,' But It Wasn't the Welcome Home We Expected or Wanted
http://www.bustle.com/articles/62544-oliver-felicity-reunite-on-arrow-but-it-wasnt-the-welcome-home-we-expected-or-wanted

In fact, one of the main reasons Team Arrow didn’t accept Merlyn’s help in the first place was because Felicity was adamant in thinking that it was something Oliver would not approve of. And now, here he is, willing to jump in bed (metaphorically) with not just an enemy, but the man truly responsible for Sara Lance’s murder — a woman Oliver had once claimed to love. (If you recall, before leaving to face Ra’s, his final words to Felicity were that he loved her.) But given all that tends to happen with the women he cares most about, she wants no part of it anymore.... She expected something better from Oliver. Something more. And she’s right, of course.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

So did anyone watch the Arrow After Show? Was John Campea there? LoL

Nopeeee, they replaced John Campea with a guy who really likes Laurel and who has no compelling opinions tbqh. Quite underwhelming. will drop the show. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 2

Nopeeee, they replaced John Campea with a guy who really likes Laurel and who has no compelling opinions tbqh. Quite underwhelming. will drop the show.

Lmao...They did? Really? Wow! Edited by Chiny11

Arrow: “Uprising”
http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/arrow-uprising-214815

But again, this is why it’s so tricky to turn Oliver into a symbol. Felicity tries to live by the ideals she believes Oliver died for, whereas Roy tries to move past Oliver’s shadow, though only to define himself as standing outside it; after all, his advocacy for allying with Malcolm Merlyn is less a positive argument for Malcolm’s reform—though that’s in there, borderline incoherent as it is—than a negative acknowledgement of the limits the team has without Oliver there to lead them.... it feels telling that Diggle is the one to turn down Malcolm, and he does so on the grounds that the team cannot let the ends justify the means... By the second half of “Uprising,” Oliver has started to transform in the eyes of his team not unlike what he sees Tommy as: a cherished memory and an inspiration, but not the leader from beyond the grave. Oliver’s return, and his immediate admission that he is working with Malcolm to prepare for the return of Ra’s al Ghul, is a stark reminder of just how dangerous it is to assume one understands the inner workings of a mind that messed up. After all, Malcolm tells Oliver how much killing robs a person of his soul, and Oliver still has a lot of bodies on his conscience. Maybe the Arrow can transcend that long enough to convince Malcolm of a better way, but Oliver is another matter.
Edited by tv echo

‘Arrow’ Recap: Old Friends, and Even Older Foes, Unite For an ‘Uprising
http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2015/02/05/arrow-recap-old-friends-and-even-older-foes-unite-for-an-uprising/

After what Merlyn did to Sara, using his own daughter to murder her, I can’t muster any sympathy for the man, who — by the way – also engineered an earthquake to kill 500 people, including his own son. Felicity feels the same way. Our favorite bespectacled genius is disgusted that Team Arrow would even consider working with Merlyn to stop Brick. Roy and Laurel are all for it, as Brick’s goons had the jump on Canary and Arsenal at every turn. However, Felicity and Diggle are set against it...  Oliver trusting Merlyn creates a tragic wedge between Team Arrow and Felicity that could drive her to Team ATOM...  As for Wildcat … I was disappointed in such a classic hero make his live-action debut only to get his ass handed to him.

ARROW: "UPRISING" REVIEW
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/05/arrow-uprising-review

The second half of Season 3 has been shaping up well so far. Unfortunately, this loose trilogy of Brick-centric, Ollie-light episodes ended on a relative low note with “Uprising.”...  The one real misstep in this climax was actually Ollie’s entrance scene. The problem is that the episode never built up the tension to the point where Ollie’s return felt necessary. His friends had things well in hand by that point. They didn’t need his arrow to shine a light in a sea of darkness...  It’s going to be difficult to take Merlyn seriously as a reformed villain... Meanwhile, the tearful reunion between Ollie and Felicity quickly soured as she learned that Ollie is willing to make the compromise the rest of them weren’t. Her “I don’t want to be the kind of woman you love” speech was powerful stuff. I have a suspicion that if the Atom spinoff series does get greenlit, Ray will be poaching Felicity. After this week it’s a lot easier to imagine her making the transition away from Starling.

‘Arrow’ Review: “Uprising"
http://screencrush.com/arrow-review-uprising/

The closing scenes between the two don’t quite escape the feeling that ‘Arrow’ wants to invent obstacles to keep Felicity and Oliver at a distance, though the team’s tech genius raises some strong points toward the effect Oliver’s crusade has on the women in his life. I’d doubt if Felicity and Oliver remain at odds for longer than a few episodes, particularly with Brandon Routh’s Ray Palmer only likely to stay through the season, but credit where it’s due for Emily Bett Rickards and Stephen Amell giving their all to pitch a bitter, if vaguely manufactured rift between the pair... *Secret identities have become increasingly hilarious here, especially now that Quentin so easily recognized Roy, yet can’t fully distinguish between his daughters, and seemingly doesn’t want to see the obviousness of Oliver’s involvement in it all. Worse than that, Thea should almost certainly recognize the timing of Oliver’s return with the Arrow’s...

This review is very negative toward Felicity.  I don't agree with it because the writer seems to view Felicity as someone who's just holding Oliver back and causing problems for him, and omits any mention of how she's helped him and fails to understand that she's had reason to be emotional lately.  Apparently the writer thinks that she should just support the hero, Oliver, unquestioningly and occasionally crack jokes - but whatever...

Arrow Season 3 Episode 12 "Uprising" Review!
by Sean Donovan ⋅ Posted on February 4th, 2015 at 11:14pm
http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/02/05/arrow-season-3-episode-12-uprising-review-2661605?lt_source=external,manual

Edited by tv echo

Arrow New Episode Review: 'Uprising' Brings Oliver Queen Back to Starling City
http://www.mstarz.com/articles/52168/20150204/arrow-new-episode-review-uprising-brings-oliver-queen-back-starling.htm

Diggle continued to be the sage of the group, while Felicity served as the conscience.... Unfortunately, this decision incensed Felicity. Oliver tried to explain, but Felicity wouldn't have it. She pointed out that she refused Merlyn's help because she thought Oliver would never work with him. She thought his near-death experience would change their relationship, but Oliver is now plunging headlong into another fight with Ra's.  And so she has reached her breaking point. She no longer wants to be a woman that he loves, because she's seen how that story ends. This will likely break the heart of all the Olicity fans out there, but this is a slow burn. If these two do get together, they will have earned it.

'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 12 Recap: The Arrow makes his triumphant return in ‘Uprising’
BY LAUREN MORGAN    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Thursday, February 5, 2015, 1:35 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/channel-surfer/season-3-episode-12-recap-uprising-blog-entry-1.2104054

Thinking she knew Oliver so well, Felicity is shocked by his decision and storms out of the Arrow Cave. When Oliver follows her, she basically throws an epic hissy fit over what she feels is the betrayal of his own principles. If this is what Oliver will do for a woman he loves, she doesn’t want to be a woman he loves. And with that, she takes off leaving Oliver alone and pondering the choices he’s willing to make to protect those he loves.

Though I was a fan of Oliver and Felicity (or Olicity to use their shipper name) before the season started, after Felicity’s rant at the end of the episode, it’s getting harder to root for these two as a pairing. We barely got to see these two as an actual couple before all the angst started and it’s kinda zapped all the fun out of the relationship. Felicity used to lighten Oliver’s character up but since she’s being written as just as tortured and grumpy as he is now, the relationship’s whole dynamic has gone out of whack.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

‘ARROW’ SEASON 3 RECAP, EPISODE 12: ‘UPRISING’
http://comicsalliance.com/arrow-season-3-recap-episode-12-uprising/

So, yeah, a huge part of this episode involves refashioning Malcolm from a mass-murdering villain into a troubled anti-hero.  It... kinda works, but a lot of it is simply making the audience believe something through repetition.... 

Ollie follows her out there, and the exchange that follows is super weird. She tells him that she's upset he let Team Arrow believe he was dead for weeks and that he's working with a killer.  Ollie outright dismisses it, saying, "That's not why you're upset."  Right back to being a jerk.  Smoak explains that she thought being "dead" would soften Ollie, but now that he's back, he's throwing in with a guy who tricked his beloved sister into murdering another woman he loved. She says she doesn't want to be a woman Ollie loves, and, man, she has got a point.

Edited by tv echo

Thanks to SonofaBiscuit for finding Robert Doughterty's preemptive rant yesterday.  Now here's his review of "Uprising"...

Arrow S3: E12 -- 'Uprising'
By Robert Dougherty February 05, 2015 08:57AM ES
http://www.themovienetwork.com/review/arrow-s3-e12-uprising

The fact that Thea’s belief in Malcolm is so sickening in the full context, and that Roy could actually come to buy it as well, could be argued as Arrow doing its job well. Nevertheless, the level of this delusion in Thea, Roy and to a lesser extent Laurel, despite every reason they have not to believe in Malcolm, is all too off putting – and all too evident of the show’s habit of twisting characters to suit the plot, not the other way around.
This should have been a trilogy where Diggle really stepped to the plate in honor of his fallen brother, yet instead, we only get all too brief rewarding moments like this one.
If Uprising is laying the groundwork for Malcolm rebuilding himself, however, it might be a few episodes, brainwashings and orchestrated deaths too late to be convincing.
Other than complaining about Olicity turning into yet another couple screwed up by miscommuncation and jumping the gun - to Felicity's discredit this time -- about that stupid, only on drawn out television miscommunication separating them in ways that should be beneath them -- but maybe really aren't after all anymore -- about Oliver taking even more steps backwards than I anticipated, about setting up the same old "There is no other way/there is always another way" debate on tactics that Arrow has had over and over in endless ways, setting up the same old "You don't have to do it alone" resolution we've seen in some way many times over too, about how this is building up to other all too predictable, non Olicity related outcomes, and how a lot of them don't really need to be pushed back for about 5-10 more episodes but probably will anyway....
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

‘Arrow’ Presents: Gangs of Starling City
http://screenrant.com/arrow-season-3-episode-12-uprising-reviews/

But Felicity’s incredulity doesn’t stem from Oliver’s unlikely recovery from horrific injury; it stems from what she perceives to be a lack of character on his behalf with regard to the proposed allegiance between the Arrow and the Dark Archer.

Felicity’s distrust and disappointment stems from her personal feelings for Ollie – and, to a certain degree, a fear that she’ll end up like Thea, or worse, Sara. But her response also comes from the kinds of tough decisions the team had to make in the weeks Oliver was gone. If her reaction to Roy’s suggestion that Malcolm Merlyn isn’t as bad as they’ve been led to believe is any indication, Felicity’s unwilling to compromise Team Arrow’s principles, in order to overcome a great obstacle. And if Tatsu’s warning to Oliver is any indication his principles may be that which he must be willing to sacrifice in order to defeat the world’s greatest assassin.

I just can't take ign seriously.  The comments on that page are absolutely vile, the reviewer refers to Oliver as Ollie (I fucking hate that), they frequently give bad episodes high ratings, and they actually believe that the Atom spinoff would take Felicity (which would effectively kill Arrow's ratings).  Haha, no.

• Love 6

The eagerly awaited Vulture review - the whole article is worth reading...

Arrow Recap: Reunited and It Feels So Meh
By Jenny Raftery
http://www.vulture.com/2015/02/arrow-recap-season-3-episode-12.html

-- Snarks on male characters coming back from the dead (Oliver, Malcolm, Slade, Deadshot, Cooper), but female characters staying dead (Shado, Moira, Sara): "What’s a girl gotta do to come back from the dead around here?"
-- Notes that Roy and Laurel's increased presence has relegated Diggle to second-chair communications.
-- Notes Tatsu's "super-chic haircut".
-- Compares the big fight to West Side Story: "When you're a Glade, you're a Glade all the way!"
-- Says "Oliver's 'love' is an empty promise."
-- Confesses to being an Olicity fan: "Even though I would love Oliver and Felicity to put their mouths all over each other, I am very okay with Felicity telling Oliver in this week’s episode to buzz off, and in fact, I love Felicity all the more for it."

Felicity, a supercomputer with an amazing set of legs, operates to a large extent on data. Given the emotional whiplash that Oliver has given her this season (even their reunion hug seemed cold and distant), her rejection of Oliver makes complete sense. It’s totally believable and in line with Felicity’s character at this moment in time. She’s not the same bubbly Felicity that made moony eyes at Oliver in seasons one and two because he’s put her through the emotional wringer, and if the writers had her reacting in any other way than they did in this episode, it would be disingenuous. Slow burn, baby, slow burn.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 13