Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

(edited)
19 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

My list of issues with Laurel goes like this:

1. No martial arts training.  Laurel should have had martial arts skills already built into her backstory.

She did. Granted it was nothing compared to Comics BC.  However, the show did set Laurel up with a martial arts and gun training in S1. It was mentioned in S1 that she had self defense training and, they wrote in that Max Fuller scene in order to show what a badass LL was and, how she came to Oliver and Tommy's rescue. They also had that whole shotgun scene later in S1 to show that LL is a bad ass, etc.

The problem is, they had her beat up a guy by attacking him from behind, a guy who clearly didn't have any training since he was letting his goons beat up Oliver and Tommy.

Second problem, KC is, as Kim Manners said back on SPN, horribly uncoordinated. So she can't pull off any level of believable physicality even when the stunt woman does most of the work.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 9
(edited)

Self-defense training isn't martial arts training though.   It wouldn't have been hard at all to throw in that she'd been doing martial arts since childhood.  Now could KC have believably have pulled that off?  Doubtful, as you say. :(  So yes, the first issue is that they needed an actress that could pull off the physicality of the role.

I suspect they didn't though because probably the original plan was for Oliver to train her.  

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 3

In RL? Absolutely. In Show, I think they just used "self defense" as a generic/catch all for whatever fighting skills they wanted her to have eventually. Basically an undefined background that could cover anything. 

The show takes that shortcut a lot.

• Love 2

I wonder if it would have worked better if Oliver had been dating Sara and took Laurel on the boat and then Laurel came back with Sara's backstory sometime in S1? Would have been slightly easier to handle the cheating/sister swapping if it had been with the one true love instead of on the one true love. 

I think you guys are right that the whole Rachel Dawes is the Black Canary setup was never going to work. Funnily enough because I initially didn't like the character but then did like her after the recast. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

More like an untrained Rachel Dawes who was herself, untrained! Yeah, yeah, it's been years, but it still frosts my cookies, how I was supposed to accept Rachel Dawes as an ADA in Batman Begins, when age-wise, that twat was supposed to be finishing college or starting law school when Bruce was thinking about killing the man who'd murdered his parents, and let me just leave it there, before I lose my shit and go ranting and wailing off on what a judgmental, none of her bidnez harpy she was when she slapped Bruce and drove to where Carmine was, and made me want to reach to the movie screen/my teevee (when I got it on bluray) to snatch her bald.

I think Katie Holmes was miscast but I understood the slap and putting him face to face with the big picture.  He was too wrapped up in his own self pity before that and her actions woke him up.  Or drove him off the edge to madness, lol.  I mean, a Bat?  ;)

3 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

I think CL and SA have good chemistry.  But as much as I love her as Sara I'm not sure she would have been my first choice for Laurel.  

I agree they have a good chemistry.  SA and CL are comfortable around each other in a way I never saw with KC.  But while I didn't find it hard to buy Oliver and Sara on a physical level and I was fine with the lunge and the season two hook up since it always felt shorttem, their history and shared trauma's made a deep romantic connection not really workable and especially not long term.

They understand each other in a way most don't but the same thing gives them that understanding is what probably would keep them from ever being that special person that lets them be the best version of themselves.  Still, I really love when they get to work together or show off their friendship.  

• Love 6

I think CL would have made me believe Laurel more than KC did, especially in terms of the physical stuff, and I thin that if EBR hadn't appeared, CL as Laurel and her chemistry with SA would have made me overcome the cheating backstory.

I think KC's technique of method acting served her badly in the role of Laurel.  I understand why she wouldn't have wanted to start training to be the Black Canary until Laurel herself did but it didn't give her enough time to get into the physicality of the role in time.  TV creates magical solutions  that real life can't match.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/7/2017 at 10:19 PM, BkWurm1 said:

I think Katie Holmes was miscast but I understood the slap and putting him face to face with the big picture.  He was too wrapped up in his own self pity before that and her actions woke him up.  Or drove him off the edge to madness, lol.  I mean, a Bat?  ;)

Agree that Katie was miscast; I even hated kid Rachel.

Aaa to the rest? LALALALALALALAAAAAA!!!! I can't hear youuuu!!!!!!!!??????? ???????????????

Like I'm going to blame Bruce for being pissed that the guy who murdered his parents was going to get off when he was supposed to be put away for life. I don't blame him for not seeing the bigger picture, because hey! He wasn't police or in law enforcement...yet. So Rachel can just SHUT IT.?

And yeah, a Bat! "A man who dresses up like a bat CLEARLY has issues."

Bruce: Batman Begins

Bats: "I'm a rich kid with issues. LOTS of issues." Justice League Unlimited -"This Little Piggy" to Diana when she accuses (rightly) Bats of 'no dating for the Batman because it might cut into his "brooding time."'

Me: ?????????????

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

I think Stephen and Caity only had chemistry in the sense that contrasted to Katie and Stephen's negative chemistry they appeared remotely more appealing (although I personally was as indifferent to them as I was Lauriver) Ie "well it's better then Laurel" chemistry- but great chemistry? Enough to sustain a television series and prolonged story telling? Sorry I don't think they had it in terms of the actors chemistry, acting or even their characters make up to make an interesting, root able complexed or sustained romantic storyline beyond the three or four eps they were given.

Id personally have become indifferent or even stopped watching if we were still watching Sara and Oliver have a brood off three seasons on.  They need characters that contrast with them and not mirrors of each other. 

• Love 14

I thought Sara and Oliver were too similar and not in the "We have the same hobbies and brain power" FitzSimmons sense but the same broodiness.

It would have been a yawn fest.

I still can't get over how much Laurel and Oliver looked like they hated each other onscreen. And not the sexual tension hate. More the " you're a pretty vile human" hate. Even in s4 when everyone was saying Laurel was acting inappropriately flirty I thought she still looked like she was scowling and thinking nasty thoughts about him despite the weird flirty acting. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LeighAn said:

I think Stephen and Caity only had chemistry in the sense that contrasted to Katie and Stephen's negative chemistry they appeared remotely more appealing (although I personally was as indifferent to them as I was Lauriver) Ie "well it's better then Laurel" chemistry- but great chemistry? Enough to sustain a television series and prolonged story telling? Sorry I don't think they had it in terms of the actors chemistry, acting or even their characters make up to make an interesting, root able complexed or sustained romantic storyline beyond the three or four eps they were given.

Id personally have become indifferent or even stopped watching if we were still watching Sara and Oliver have a brood off three seasons on.  They need characters that contrast with them and not mirrors of each other. 

I tend to agree.  They IMO have a good chemistry for team ups and fights and probably tossing back a few drinks and I like seeing them still bump into each other and do that but they are too alike for them to be something long term even if I do like to see the history they have together.  

• Love 3
(edited)

Like I'm going to blame Bruce for being pissed that the guy who murdered his parents was going to get off when he was supposed to be put away for life. I don't blame him for not seeing the bigger picture, because hey! He wasn't police or in law enforcement...yet. So Rachel can just SHUT IT.?

Being pissed, sure, no I don't blame him. Planning on throwing his life away for momentary vengence, yes I do blame him and I think his loved ones had a right to be pissed at him as well.  And once Rachel did show him how much bigger the problem was than just Bruce's own personal tragedy, he set out to become a man that can do something about the systemic problem, which he wouldn't have done if she hadn't slapped him.  Sorrynotsorry, lol.  I know I'm probably torturing you just a wee bit.  ;)  

Laurel even though she was clearly modeled after Rachel Dawes wasn't even Oliver's motivation to addressing the problems.  That was the one thing I liked about RD in Batman Beyond.  But Arrow reduced her to a symbol of his old life...when who he was before wasn't all that great. Maybe Laurel would have served the story better if she'd never been a girlfriend and instead was just a friend.  Him running off with her sister and it getting her killed still would have been great conflict, but I would have been so much more receptive to Oliver figuring out that his friend meant more to him than he realized than her being some girl he constantly cheated on.  Or basically I'm saying Arrow stole all the wrong things about the Rachel Dawes character.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Being pissed, sure, no I don't blame him. Planning on throwing his life away for momentary vengence, yes I do blame him and I think his loved ones had a right to be pissed at him as well.  And once Rachel did show him how much bigger the problem was than just Bruce's own personal tragedy, he set out to become a man that can do something about the systemic problem, which he wouldn't have done if she hadn't slapped him.  Sorrynotsorry, lol.  I know I'm probably torturing you just a wee bit.  ;)  

Taking response to Mind Your Surroundings thread, as this is getting too offtopic here!

(edited)

Arrow: Prometheus Has It Wrong; To Hurt Oliver Queen You Must Go Through Felicity Smoak
May 8, 2017 Mark Wilson
http://theinscribermag.com/arrow-prometheus-has-it-wrong-to-hurt-oliver-queen-you-must-go-through-felicity-smoak/

As a father, there is nothing worse than seeing your children in danger. However, in Arrow, Prometheus has decided to take the war to Oliver Queen by bringing harm to his son William. When we found out that Oliver had a child it was believed that it would change the landscape of the show some. In a way it did as it broke up the relationship between Oliver and Felicity Smoak.

If Prometheus has his way, Oliver will leap into action as his son’s life will be in danger– but why go that far? There is no doubt that Oliver loves his son, however, we’ve never seen that side. There are not even a handful of episodes where William is featured, less talked about. So for the writers to bring that element into play makes no sense.

Not saying that Oliver doesn’t love his child but if Prometheus really wishes to hurt the Arrow, his best option would be to go after Felicity.

William is a factor, small but still somewhat important. This has nothing to do with a father’s love but just the importance of the story. William was never a part of the storyline, however, Oliver’s love for Felicity is as strong as it gets. For years he has been the playboy of Starling City but until he got with Felicity he didn’t know the meaning of the word love.
A Felicity abduction for Prometheus will have Oliver on the brink of a breakdown. He’s already second-guessing himself after the torture Chase put him through, then to lose Felicity will drive him over the edge. His love for her and his hate for Chase will leave Oliver twisting in the wind, not knowing which way is up or down. This is the best move for Chase to play, instead, they want to bring in a character that has no ties to the storyline.

If William was a key part from the beginning then this should be considered a smart play by the writers, but he’s not. Felicity is the smarter play here, not a kid Oliver and the audience barely knows.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 10
(edited)
38 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Arrow: Prometheus Has It Wrong; To Hurt Oliver Queen You Must Go Through Felicity Smoak
May 8, 2017 Mark Wilson
http://theinscribermag.com/arrow-prometheus-has-it-wrong-to-hurt-oliver-queen-you-must-go-through-felicity-smoak/

I really agree with this tbh.I think they are counting on the fact that its his kid and people will automatically buy into that love but I feel like on a TV show people need to see a relationship to invest in it and just knowing William is his son isn't enough.So I think it was a mistake to have him kidnapped,it doesn't raise the stakes,its repetitive and it just makes William look dumb and Samantha look like an incompetent mother.

Edited by tangerine95
  • Love 18
(edited)

This is by far the greatest article I've read about Felicity

How Felicity Smoak Quietly Became A Superhero On ‘Arrow’ (And Why It Matters)
http://uproxx.com/tv/arrow-felicity-smoak/

Arrow’s Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards) started out as most women do in the comic book world – as a side story. Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) was the egotistical yet charming womanizer, a familiar superhero type. Felicity was the rambling computer nerd who was drawn to his mystery and cause. Their first meeting consisted of him chucking a bullet-ridden laptop on her desk before blaming a latte spill for the damage. The pair’s relationship would go on in that vein for a while: Oliver coming to her for help with his secret vigilante side job and Felicity using her STEM background to unknowingly put away some of the city’s worst criminals. Eventually, Felicity clued into Oliver’s double life and chose to join him and his partner, John Diggle (David Ramsey), in their quest to protect Starling City.

But over the seasons, Felicity morphed into something more than just Oliver’s techie sidekick – a played-out cliché in the superhero verse. The series molded her into a fully rounded character, one with agency and abilities that didn’t come courtesy of a cape.

It delves further deeper into the writing fails that Felicity as a character had to endure, as well as her achievements, what makes her a rounded character, etc. 

Simply a fantastic in depth look on Felicity as a character and how she's grown over the past 5 years.

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 7
(edited)

I always take a breath before reading the TV Fanatic Round Table review of Arrow episodes, but their review of 520 wasn't as bad as I expected (though they still couldn't resist criticizing Felicity)...

Arrow Round Table: Will Olicity Reunite?
Paul Dailly at May 9, 2017 5:30 pm.
https://www.tvfanatic.com/2017/05/arrow-round-table-will-olicity-reunite/

After getting to see how Oliver and Felicity reacted to being stuck together, are you on board with a reunion for them?

Steve: I surprisingly enjoyed their time together while trapped. Going into the episode, I wasn't particularly looking forward to it as I was convinced it would be nothing but an hour of bickering.

However, I was pleasantly surprised, and I'm looking to seeing Ollie and Felicity start fresh in a sense now that they have come clean to each other.

Robin: I enjoyed this. This episode reminded me of why I thought they were good for each other back in the earlier seasons. Also, the chemistry between them during the flashback was seriously off the charts; that was really well done.  If the writers continue writing them like this episode (and only this episode so far this season), a reunion could work.

Jim: I'm on board with a reunion. While I was not one of the more passionate "Ollicity" fans when they first got together, seeing them come clean with each other and Oliver now supporting Felicity, I can get behind a reunion. 

Kathleen: Like Jim, I'm not a huge Olicity fan, but I fully admit to being shocked (shocked, I say!) when Oliver and Felicity actually had an honest conversation for what seems like the first time in forever.

On the other hand, Oliver still has pretty much the same issues and flaws that Felicity objected to in the first place. And unless she's honestly ready to accept him as he is (rather than how she wishes he is), the relationship is doomed.
What was your favorite scene?

Steve: I loved the flashback scene with Curtis setting Oliver and Felicity up for a romantic evening. That was cute.

Robin: Felicity. Said. Sorry!! My favorite scene was the scene where Felicity admitted what I've been saying from the get-go, that she was wrong regarding William, that she misjudged and mistreated Oliver, and that she had been a hypocrite lately. Vindication!!

Jim: I loved Curtis geeking out over ARGUS's upgrade to his T-Spheres. It was a cute reminder than underneath "Mr. Terrific" is an adorable nerd. 

Kathleen: I'm going with Robin. It's so satisfying to see Felicity get off her high horse and finally act like a human being again.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Some people see it as Felicity wanting Oliver to pick her over his kid. (These people are wrong.) ?

Other people see it as Oliver picking his lying, greedy, hypocritical baby mother over Felicity. (These people are right.) ?

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 16
(edited)
3 hours ago, tv echo said:

And unless she's honestly ready to accept him as he is (rather than how she wishes he is), the relationship is doomed.

This baffles me.  This idea that their relationship was doomed if she doesn't accept him for who he really is rather than who she wishes him to be.  She saw him for who he was through his behavior and she decided she couldn't live with it.  There was never any wishful thinking.  She never accepted him how she wished him to be since she never accepted his behavior.  Hence breaking up with him.  I keep being told that she broke up with him because she didn't know the kind of man Oliver is.  No.  Knowing him well wasn't the problem.  Knowing how he was going to continue to behave was WHY she broke up with him.  The break through is understanding the underlying cause of the problem.  Something they can address.    

Forgive me. I'm a bit grumpy after replying for the last two hours to posts on that other site.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 19
(edited)

Robin: Felicity. Said. Sorry!! My favorite scene was the scene where Felicity admitted what I've been saying from the get-go, that she was wrong regarding William, that she misjudged and mistreated Oliver, and that she had been a hypocrite lately. Vindication!!

That right there is exactly why I dislike the apology at the end. Haters have been vindicated in thinking that it was all Felicity's fault and that's just so unfair and not true. Grrrrrrr.

Edited by Guest

That round table just typifies why women are their own worst enemy. Women going after women even when the male reviewers were far more supportive towards both Oliver and Felicity in their reception of the episode.

Either that or the women are bitter KC fans. Still salty AF.

• Love 4
(edited)

A.V. Club reviewer gave 521 a grade of "B"...

Arrow might have made its villain too damn powerful
By Alasdair Wilkins  May 10, 2017  
http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/arrow-might-have-made-its-villain-too-damn-powerfu-255139

But where Arrow (and a whole bunch of other TV shows and movies in similar situations, as there’s plenty of guilt to go round here) gets frustrating is in making it appear as though it’s impossible for Team Arrow to ever really get the upper hand on Adrian, even temporarily. The show has decided to depict him as nigh omniscient, as he appears capable of anticipating and countering every possible move the team can make. He always has a ludicrously complex trap waiting for them, as with the room of concrete tonight, and he always sees any gambit coming a mile off, as when he uses his father’s old lawyer to pass psychologically damaging information to Oliver and Thea.

This presents a pair of storytelling challenges. The first is that it becomes damn hard for the show to pull off a successful misdirection with Chase seemingly being beaten. Sure, it looks like he is legitimately surprised when Oliver laughs at the mention of him carrying out his father’s legacy, but would he really be so careless as to not extract all possible information from the lawyer ahead of time? After all his impeccably plotted, shamelessly byzantine schemes, would his effort to weaponize tuberculosis really be as simple to stop as it proves to be for Team Arrow, as Sampson and his henchmen don’t prove to be a particularly difficult threat to deal with. None of that feels consistent with the Chase we’ve met over the course of the season, so it’s hard not to reject these developments out of hand, to not see the final twist coming. Maybe Chase really was defeated for a second there, in which case the ease of the victory doesn’t track with his development. Or maybe he was faking all along, in which case the show still didn’t set up a sufficiently compelling false win for Team Arrow to fool the audience.

This gripe aside, ”Honor Thy Fathers” is a very good episode of Arrow, and a worthy part of the larger endgame. The conclusion of the episode is symptomatic of Arrow’s far from unique reliance on backloading the heroes’ victory, with the premise being that every defeat along the way will make the eventual victory all the sweeter. And yes, it’s possible to build successfully to such a pay-off, and I won’t rule out that Arrow will get there in the final two weeks. Right now, though, it feels like Chase has been made too overpowered for any eventual defeat to be believable, and Team Arrow has been so consistently outflanked that they risk damaging their credibility; the mere fact they celebrate the win instead of reflecting on how easy it was is a little suspect. For what it’s worth, these struggles in building up a powerful villain while also keeping the underdog hero credible enough to eventually win would probably sound all too familiar to a professional wrestler like tonight’s returning guest star Cody Rhodes. Again, this is a storytelling problem that transcends this one particular episode.
Everything else is solid, if a little ill-defined. I’ll admit that as a big wrestling fan, there’s probably no amount of Cody Rhodes as Derek Sampson that would satisfy me, but even adjusting for that his return feels a tad undercooked, with him not even getting a proper rematch with Oliver. There’s an interesting possibility to play up the theme of team-building here: Oliver wins the day because he has built a proper team for himself, while Chase loses because he’s employing a bunch of psychos with no particular loyalty to or interesting in what he’s doing. That just doesn’t appear to be the kind of thematic depth to which Arrow aspires, which is fine; the show is under no obligation to be anything other than what it’s trying to be. “Honor Thy Fathers” just appears a tad too content to be simple and straightforward when a little complexity, a little willingness to dive deeper or wander off the path could be useful. Hell, Oliver’s decision to become the Green Arrow again happens during a commercial break, with no soaring montage of him putting the suit back on. This is a version of Arrow far more workmanlike than the show is at its best. None of this leaves me worried for the last two episodes, but there’s no particular reason for the third-to-last episode to play out in quite so minor a key.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

EW reviewer also gave 521 a grade of "B" and didn't have much commentary this week...

Arrow recap: 'Honor Thy Fathers’
SARA NETZLEY MAY 10, 2017 
http://ew.com/recap/arrow-season-5-episode-21/

Chase doesn’t take this news well, dropping to his knees, laying down his sword, and telling Oliver to kill him. Oliver declines and takes him into custody instead. Yeah, I get it. Oliver doesn’t want to feed his monster, and arresting Chase is the moral decision. Buuuuut isn’t this the one time when a tiny little murder may be the better choice? Because dang, Chase has outsmarted Team Arrow pretty much every step of the way, and killed many, many people in the process.
Then Oliver takes his own advice and gives a press conference confirming that the allegations against Robert are true. However, he also says that his father’s immense courage and sacrifice 10 years ago allowed Oliver to return home safely so he could serve Star City. Then he gives the news that the Green Arrow and his team captured Chase…

… whom we see in a yellow jumpsuit in one of those glass cube prison cells that I’m pretty sure only exist in Hollywood. He’s watching the press conference on a TV that Argos apparently provided him, which was super nice of them, and he’s smiling in a way that makes you think this all unfolded exactly as he planned. In a nice little bit of camera work, Oliver’s face is reflected over his own in the glass.
Nevertheless, Anatoly agrees to bribe a fishing boat to sail to the island, where Oliver will attract their attention with a bonfire two days hence and be “rescued.” And Anatoly leaves him with a gift from an old KGB friend, saying, “I figured nobody would believe there’s a barbershop on island.” (I’m definitely taking this wig joke as a reference to The Americans. Also, this explains how Oliver’s able to rock the extra-awful coif from the pilot.) They tell each other prochnost, and Anatoly promises they’ll always be brothers as he takes his leave. Awww, this is extra sad, knowing how they parted in the present.
Chase is back! Yay! May we get plenty of his special brand of creeptastic menace in the final two episodes of the season.
Rene’s legal update: He freaks over having to testify at his daughter’s custody hearing, and Quentin, who’s inserting way too many of his own regrets and feelings at this point, urges him to do it so he can make sure the rest of his daughter’s life is better than what came before. But of course, the day of the hearing, Quentin’s there and Rene’s not, and the judge rules against him. Ugh. Unless he’s been abducted by Prometheus and friends, I never want to hear about this story line again....

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Collider reviewer points out a huge problem with 521 (I wonder, do the Arrow EPs even watch their own show?)...

‘Arrow’ Recap: “Honor Thy Fathers” — Daddy Issues
BY KAYTI BURT      MAY 10, 2017
http://collider.com/arrow-recap-honor-thy-fathers-daddy-issues/

If you’re looking for proof that TV shows should not have 20+ episode seasons, look no further than this week’s episodes of Arrow and The Flash. While they both have their merits, they were mostly filler episodes at a point in the season when these superhero shows should be doing anything but treading narrative water.

We’ve been waiting weeks to see the proper return of Prometheus/Chase, especially after the final moments of last week’s episode saw Chase finding William. Rather than spurring the Prometheus v. Oliver action into overdrive, “Honor Thy Fathers” pumped the breaks, giving us a theme-centric episode about parental legacy that was not only ill-fitted for this part of the season, but was borderline insulting when it came to the character of Robert Queen. Let me explain…

“Honor Thy Fathers” began with Prometheus making a pretty baller move: delivering the skeleton of a man Robert Queen killed 15 years ago to the mayor’s office. The plot peaked here, with the big reveal sending Oliver and Adrian into a “My dad was less evil than your dad” bickering contest that was neither interesting nor productive. It doesn’t help that Oliver’s character arc here depended on him being unsure if his father was capable of murder, when his father literally shot an innocent man in front of Oliver in the pilot episode. And let’s not even talk about the genocidal mess that was The Undertaking.

Watching Oliver try to give a silver lining to his father’s manslaughter of “The Concrete Councilman” in his third act press conference was insulting. Mentioning Robert’s “sacrifice” to let Oliver live after the Queen’s Gambit crashed would have been a lot more moving if we didn’t know Robert straight-up murdered (as in: not manslaughtered) a dude to make it happen. That guy didn’t get a vote on whether he wanted to sacrifice his life for a chance to see Oliver grow out of his privileged white dude persona and do something with his life. My guess is he would have voted “nay.”
The silver lining to this episode’s redundant themes? Oliver came to the conclusion that he can’t let the past drag him down, which I’m going to assume is the show’s way of saying: We’re sorry the flashbacks have gone on for so long. We get it. They’re boring and take away from the pace of the episodes and seasons. You won’t have to deal with them much longer. To which I say: Thank you, but I am never getting all of those hours I spent watching mercenaries and/or the undead chase Oliver and The Russian Woman Whose Name I Had To Google Literally Every Week around Lian Yu back.
— “No pressure or anything.” — Felicity’s amazing response to the video message Robert left for Oliver.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
(edited)

Arrow Season 5 Episode 21 Review: “Honor Thy Fathers” 
Chris King  May 10, 2017
http://www.tvovermind.com/the-cw/arrow/arrow-season-5-episode-21-review-honor-thy-fathers

In some cases, such as Dinah with Laurel, the history of the dead has been a source of inspiration, but more often, the sins of those who have passed away act as anchors pulling our favorite characters down to their murky depths. When Oliver and Thea consider all of the deplorable decisions their parents made during their lives, it causes to them to lose sight of who they truly are and tricks them into believing that they are destined to become like their father and mother. However, as Felicity smartly points out to Oliver in one of the very best scenes of tonight’s episode, there comes a time when you have to leave the past in the past and move on, when you need to stop living for the dead and start living for yourself.

The wise words that Felicity delivers to Oliver echo throughout “Honor Thy Fathers,” and it’s not just because Oliver uses those same words to inspire Thea when the two of them talk in the bunker and the rest of Star City during his press conference about his father. What Felicity says can apply to any of Arrow‘s main characters this season, whether it be Diggle and his murdering of Andy, Felicity and the impossible decision she had to make with Havenrock, or even Dinah, who we’ve seen leave behind her past vendetta in an effort to become something better as a part of Team Arrow.
What Robert says to Thea about her being stronger than Oliver is, in many ways, true; along with Felicity and Diggle, Thea has been one of the most honest, loyal, and supportive people Oliver has had in his life. But it’s very significant that tonight’s writers, Marc Guggenheim and Sarah Tarkoff, have Oliver be the one that reassures Thea and not the other way around. This decision doesn’t lessen Thea’s importance to Oliver or contradict what Robert says in the video; no, instead, it illustrates Oliver’s continuing evolution into the best version of himself, a process that truly began with his confession to Chase in “Kapiushon” and has only gained more strength due to his interactions with Felicity in both “Dangerous Liaisons” and “Underneath.”
The next step for Oliver after confronting the monster within himself is to confront the monstrous side of his father, the dark, violent part of Robert that he never knew existed. After Thea shows Oliver the security tape, he’s clearly shaken in a much different way than Thea is (at this point, she has become numb to disturbing revelations about her parents). For just a second, while Oliver watches that video, he’s back in his cell with Chase, chained and tortured, second-guessing everything he’s accomplished with Team Arrow over the last five years. But the honest and open conversation he has with Felicity about his worries (notice how free and relaxed the two of them seem now that there’s no more pain or distrust between them after last week’s episode) brings him back from the brink of despair. After their talk, Oliver possesses the hope and strength he needs to be the one that Thea leans on, to be the brother that she needs him to be, and he also feels inspired enough to don the Green Arrow suit again, simply telling Curtis that “Felicity has a way with words.”
Thea Queen, I missed you. Never leave Star City again, okay? Otherwise, we wouldn’t get dialogue gems like “No, but once you find out Malcolm Merlyn is your biological father, you can pretty much handle anything,” or the most truthful statement about Oliver Queen ever: “Ollie, you have a habit of giving orders and just assuming they’re agreements.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
(edited)

"Honor Thy Fathers” – Arrow S05E21 Review
Gislef   May 11, 2017
http://www.tv.com/shows/arrow/community/post/honor-thy-fathers-arrow-s05e21-review-1494479170/

I'm still unclear exactly what Adrian's end-goal is. Folks have been saying, "Ooh, this year is different because the Big Bad has a personal beef with Oliver instead of trying to quake or nuke or plague Star City." Problem is, this seems to mean Adrian can do whatever damn thing he wants to for the plot of the week. I suspect at the finale, Adrian is going to laugh maniacally and say, "Nah, I just wanted to take out Star City like the last four Big Bads. This whole 'You're a killer, Oliver' thing has been a red herring. Bwah hah hah."
Along the way we get the now-typical soap opera-ish speeches. Felicity tells Oliver to let the past stay in the past. Then Oliver says the same thing to a returning Thea twice. And yes, Thea is back after a several-episode absence. Poor Willa Holland looks kind of tired.
Boy, if you think Marvel's shows are too long at 13 episodes, you must really hate Arrow. At least Flash and Supergirl toss in "fun" episodes occasionally. And as much as I'd like to see an Arrow musical episode, or an episode where Team Arrow goes to a parallel Earth and meets their wacky counterparts, we know that's not going to happen. So we get a lot of repetition. Heck, Oliver repeats Felicity's words twice to Thea. We've seen Adrian offer himself up to Oliver to be killed before.
And it still doesn't make much sense. How many times does Oliver have to not kill Adrian, to show him that he's not a killer? I've given up on trying to figure out if Adrian really believes Oliver is a killer. Or is trying to goad him into being a killer. Or as I noted earlier, the whole thing is a ruse to distract Oliver while Adrian does something unpleasant to Star City.

It all makes Adrian seem kind of dense. Or it makes the protagonists dense for not seeing that Adrian is playing them. Tonight's scheme, of trying to show that their fathers are alike, is just yet another variant on Adrian's standard "The two of us are more alike than you think, Oliver" riff.

Or maybe we're just supposed to think that Adrian is a high-functioning sociopath, to quote someone or another. But that doesn't make him a villain but rather a nutcase. Not exactly the stuff of Big Bads. You wonder what Talia ever saw in him. Call me weird, but I prefer my Big Bads to be... bad. Not delusionally pitiful. Or pitifully delusional, as the case may be.
It's hard for me to work up much enthusiasm for the last two episodes at this point. Josh Segarra is good at playing a high-functioning sociopath, but there doesn't seem like a lot of places for the character to go. That said, the season finale press release, which sounds like a superhero battle of epic proportions, does seem interesting. If Katie Cassidy wasn't coming back, I could stomach it. And the return of other familiar faces like Manu Bennett seems more like desperation than anything. Or an attempt to reacquire the show's glory days of season 2. Or... something.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Review: ‘Arrow’s Daddy Issues Come Full Circle in ‘Honor Thy Fathers’
Kevin Fitzpatrick | May 10, 2017
http://screencrush.com/arrow-honor-thy-fathers-review/

Is it me, or has the air completely left Arrow Season 5’s final hours? Perhaps Chase and Prometheus were never so interesting as one omnipotent killer than they were as two distinct characters, or maybe the already-sparse flashbacks have monotonously run down a checklist of items that need to sync up with 2012’s pilot. Last week’s “Underneath” at least had the central conceit of sorting through Oliver and Felicity’s history against the backdrop of a ticking clock, but “Honor Thy Fathers” slid right back into the formula of foiling Chase’s absurdly-elaborate plans, and questioning Oliver’s faith in the process.
*Bringing Anatoly to the island actually leads to one of the more egregious attempts at bridging continuity; offering Oliver a wig and beard so people would more easily buy that he’d been on the island for years. Granted, Stephen Amell’s current flashback hair is nowhere near the pilot mane, they should theoretically have from May 2012 (when these events would be taking place) to October (when the pilot aired).
Arrow’s daddy-issues are pretty well-worn at this point, and certainly not enough to carry an episode this close to Season 5’s climax. I don’t know why WWE wrestler Cody Rhodes’ Derek Sampson merits any kind of noteworthy return at this point either, since “Honor Thy Fathers” had nothing for him to do beyond a few warehouse confrontations. In fact, it barely tracks that he and Chase would suddenly have a mutual plan to poison the city, considering the personal narrative of Chase’s vendetta to date. At best, Chase faking that Oliver could crush his quest for paternal vengeance, and getting caught are just one more step in this maddeningly labyrinthine plot.
So … the bunker’s fine, now? Methane-free?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Oliver telling Anatoly how he learned to fly was meant to call back to Felicity’s question about that in Season 2. If his father taught him before the island, why not just say that?

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Arrow Episode Guide: Season 5, Episode 21 - Honor Thy Fathers
Starman   May 10, 2017
http://www.mygeekygeekyways.com/2017/05/arrow-episode-guide-season-5-episode-21.html

Influences
Hamlet (two sons come to blows trying to avenge their respective fathers)

Goofs
It beggars belief that Oliver Queen - who devoted his life to atoning for the sins of his father - never considered that those sins may have included his father having people killed until now.

Performances
The whole ensemble gels here but if I had to single out one performance, it would be Willa Holland's ability to convey emotion while staring at a computer screen without saying a word.

Artistry
The atmosphere of the Lian Yu sequences is good, with a slightly washed-out look to the color palette in the cinematography.
Bottom Line
A weakly written episode based around a terrible bit of logic that succeeds only because of how well the ensemble cast play off of one another.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Arrow recap: Season 5 episode 21 “Honor Thy Fathers”
by Amy Woolsey   May 11, 2017
http://culturess.com/2017/05/11/arrow-recap-season-5-episode-21-honor-thy-fathers/

Last week, Arrow changed things up a bit, trapping Oliver and Felicity underground for a near-bottle episode that contained no fight scenes. Although season 5 overall has done a terrific job of interweaving the overarching plot with the various character arcs, “Underneath” was gratifying for its intimacy. Far from stalling, it brought the emotion at the show’s core into focus.

“Honor Thy Fathers” inevitably feels more conventional. In addition to returning to the hunt for Adrian Chase/Prometheus and the usual procedural format, it revisits an old conflict. As a matter of fact, the episode title is a very slight variation on a previous one.
Yet, Oliver’s crusade has come a long way since the List. (Before this season, did anyone else forget the List was a thing?) For one, he no longer works alone. And as the team evolved, so did the mission. Even if it started as a way to honor (or apologize for) his father, it has grown into something more, something bigger. One man’s tarnished reputation can’t ruin it. If nothing else, it gave purpose to a group of misfits.

The future is more than the sum of the past, and people are more than the sum of their parents.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

My answer is emphatically 'yes' to the question below (well, maybe not the boxing glove arrow every week)...

‘Arrow’ Recap: And the Award for Worst Father in Star City Goes to...
Robert Clarke-Chan    May 11, 2017
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/arrow-recap-award-worst-father-star-city-goes-142111677.html

The long-term arc of the show has always been for Oliver Queen to go from dark vigilante to something more like the lighthearted Green Arrow best known by fans of the comic books. If you were so inclined, you could read Felicity’s impassioned plea to “stop living for your father and start living for yourself,” along with the fact that this will be the last season of pre-Arrow flashbacks, as a sign that year six will feature a friendlier, goofier Oliver. It seems unlikely though. With three other DC shows on the network, it’s important that each show offer something different, and The Flash already is, essentially, a more lighthearted Arrow. Would fans still watch if Oliver stopped feeling guilty, patched things up with Felicity, and KO’d bad guys with a boxing glove arrow every week?
In an episode full of shameful dad business, though, one father stands head and shoulders above the rest. After finally getting a court date, having a good lawyer and the backing of the deputy mayor, Rene ditches the hearing to get his daughter back. After all the progress he’d made as a person and as a father, after all the pep talks and heartfelt one-on-ones with Quentin, he hangs Zoe out to dry. It’s a blow for Quentin, who has invested so much in Rene because helping to repair that broken father/daughter relationship helps soothe his own pain over the loss of Laurel. But the biggest heartbreak is on the face of Zoe as she realizes her father isn’t coming. Nothing Prometheus has done to Oliver this season holds a candle to the hurt on display right there.
That final fight was real anti-climactic. That means that being captured was all part of Adrian’s plan? How much more has he got left? Only two episodes remain this season. If he’s got a coup de grâce, he’d best deploy it now.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Even some media reviewers forgot that Robert Queen murdered that guy in the lifeboat in front of Oliver...

Arrow’s “Honor Thy Fathers” Does the Big-Bad-Threatens-the-Entire-City Plot a Little Earlier than Expected
May 11, 2017 by Kelly Konda
https://weminoredinfilm.com/2017/05/11/arrows-honor-thy-fathers-does-the-big-bad-threatens-the-entire-city-plot-a-little-earlier-than-expected/

... But first we have to talk about “Honor Thy Fathers.”

Ugh. Why? After last week’s exemplary, talk-heavy bottle episode trapping Oliver and Felicity together in the Arrowcave, “Honor Thy Fathers” can’t help but feel like a letdown by simple virtue of the fact that it marks a return to Arrow’s storytelling norms, splitting the team up as they try to find Adrian while also keeping tabs on all of the newly released criminals who had their Adrian Chase-litigated convictions overturned. Amell’s former WWE buddy Cody Runnells returns again as his forgettable villain-of-the-week character while Adrian pulls a Dark Knight/Skyfall by getting caught on purpose, not that anyone other than the audience realizes as much yet.
They think the mind game being played is Chase making Oliver and Thea aware that in 2002 their father accidentally murdered a business underling and covered it up. That information is being weaponized to undercut Oliver’s entire moral code since his quest to save Star City relates directly back to his dad, a flawed man who did terrible things but never outright murder, as far as Oliver knew. Oliver and Thea’s pained reactions to watching the awkwardly edited security footage of the accident is a bit overwrought, but the meaning is clear: this is yet another piercing of everything they thought they knew about their lives.

But Felicity does the Felicity thing and again calls bullshit on Oliver’s resulting self-doubt while Thea somewhat spins out into despair. They agree to put a pin on that last part. Fix Thea later; stop Chase now.
... Rene has his reasons (his daughter shouldn’t have to re-live all the bad things which will come out in the custody hearing), but it feels a bit more like someone in charge suddenly remembered, “One of our vigilantes can’t have a tween daughter waiting for him back home. That’s too messy. So, um, let’s just drop all of that.” Of course, we’ll see what comes of that.
2. I lost track of the number of people Team Arrow killed in this episode, particularly those who were killed or seriously wounded via gunshot. This is the same show which had a gun control episode earlier this season?
4. Imagine the under-the-breath mumblings from those council members as they were forced to leave the room mid-meeting just because the mayor wanted to talk to this sister who dropped by unannounced.
6. I guess Green Arrow’s not considered a menace to the city anymore because the mayor just casually mentioned the Green Arrow helped them catch a bad guy.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Prometheus' plan revealed and everyone has daddy issues in the latest Arrow
Trent Moore May 11, 2017 
http://www.blastr.com/2017-5-10/arrow-season-5-episode-21-honor-thy-fathers-recap

This episode wore its theme on its sleeve, and it was all about how parents (and father in particular) can be just as damaged and mixed up as anyone else — but that doesn't exactly mean they love their kids any less. The A-story plays this out with Chase sending Oliver the body of a man Ollie's father killed (somewhat accidentally) more than a decade ago, and security tape that proves he covered it up. It forced Oliver to grapple with the fact that his crusade was started to honor a man who was technically a murderer (trying to delegitimize Oliver's mission, a persistent theme of Chase's mission). Which hit home, but still, Oliver already knew his dad was a bad dude, right? How could this be *that much* of a shock? But still, it was a meaty story to build around.
So … Prometheus has done everything this season with the end game of setting off a chemical weapon in Star City, which Oliver's back-up team shut down in about five minutes? Prometheus has been one of the most prepared baddies we've ever seen on this show (see that insane concrete trap for an example of his meticulous level of planning), and he's thwarted in one act? It made sense enough he'd do something based on his father's legacy (or at least, it's certainly on theme), but this seemed like some weak sauce Generic Bad Guy stuff at best.

Having Oliver drop the intel about Chase's father disowning him was a clever move, but why did Chase believe it at the drop of a hat? Furthermore, why did he suddenly surrender? This wreaks of the "Bad Guy Captured On Purpose" trope made popular in films like The Avengers and Star Trek Into Darkness. There are still two episodes left, and the preview for next week made it clear Chase isn't done terrorizing Oliver and the gang. If this all part of his insanely convoluted plan (as that smile to the camera leads me to believe), what would he have done if Oliver just chopped off his head guillotine-style and called it a day? Now that would've been a twist.
Line of the night
"Nothing concrete." - Felicity
... The Chase-related parts of this episode felt really rushed, and though it's obvious they're setting up more of Chase's plan for next week, having him surrender was still such a strange and random move.

Also, for Olicity fans — will we get a love connection before the season ends? The two seem to be getting closer and closer, and after last week, it's only a matter of time, right?

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

‘Arrow’ 5×21 Review: ‘Honor Thy Fathers’
May 11, 2017 by ALYSSA BARBIERI
http://fangirlish.com/arrow-5x21-review-honor-thy-fathers/

But this crusade – a crusade that has saved thousands of lives, including the ones on the team, including Oliver’s – has been about so much more than honoring Robert Queen’s memory and carrying on a legacy. It may have started that way, but through the efforts of Diggle, Felicity, Thea, Laurel, and the others over the years it has grown into something bigger than all of them.

Team Arrow isn’t about honoring Robert Queen. It’s about honoring this city and all of the people that have lived, fought, and died protecting it.
It might’ve started with his father. But this crusade hasn’t been about his father for years.
It’s easy to get caught up in the events that have defined you up until the present. Especially when you’re Oliver Queen. And especially when you’ve done the things that you’ve done. And while your past will always be a part of you, it shouldn’t always define you. We’ve seen people get hung up on the past, much like we’re seeing Adrian Chase and his relentless pursuit of Oliver. All Chase sees is the past.

But as Felicity tells Oliver in one of their beautiful heart-to-hearts (God, I’ve missed those), you need to look to the future and stop living in the past. If you don’t do that, you’ll never be able to move forward. And Oliver’s journey is all about moving forward.

The moment that Oliver decided to finally put the Green Arrow suit back on was the moment he decided to finally put the past behind him and start living in the present for the future. And it was damn beautiful.
But the motivation is the same. Much like Oliver began his crusade to right his fathers wrongs and create a worthy legacy, Chase began his vengeance as a way to honor his fallen father. The only difference is Oliver has made his crusade about more than himself and his father while Chase continues to let his crusade drive him.

As Chase surrenders to Oliver, he tells him to get it over with. The “over with” here meaning, “Just kill me like you’ve killed others before.” Once again, Chase is setting out to make Oliver the monster that he isn’t but is always afraid of becoming. But Oliver doesn’t kill him. He decides to deliver justice the right way. You know this is Oliver telling himself, “No killing,” ala season 2. But sometimes killing is necessary. Because not killing Chase might actually make things worse here in the last two episodes, just saying. But I admire Oliver for not giving into Chase’s manipulation and choosing not to subject himself to the past but live in the present.
But let’s get back to the “that almost seemed to easy” portion of our program. Because Chase’s turning himself in and giving up so easily was the equivalent of a thousand red flares shooting off in the sky. KNOW YOUR ENEMY. KNOW THAT THIS IS MORE OF HIS MANIPULATION.
1. Goodness me, I love it when I see Oliver Queen grow in front of my eyes. This season has been terrible in terms of Oliver’s character. But in these past several episodes it’s been night and day. This is the hero that I’ve been rooting for. The man that acknowledges that he messed up and then vows to become better than he once was. It’s all about living in the present and moving away from the past.
3. No one affects Oliver the way that Felicity Smoak does. Seriously, Oliver Queen takes every word Felicity Smoak says to heart and he tries to aspire to be that person that she sees inside of him. She encouraged him to stop living in the past and start living in the present. Not only did he make the decision to do that, but he’s also inspiring his sister to do the same. He’s quoting his girl and living and breathing her words.
5. Could Prometheus actually be Human Target? There’s a reason that Human Target was introduced this season. And not just for a one-off. It felt bigger than that. With Chase being captured so easily, there’s definitely something bigger at play.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Arrow Review: Let’s Go Over This One More Time
BY CRAIG WACK · MAY 11, 2017
http://oohlo.com/2017/05/11/arrow-review-lets-go-over-this-one-more-time/

Remember back in high school and college, you’d reach a certain point late in the school year when the teachers stopped with the new information, and focused on reviewing the highlights that will prove to be important on the final exams?

This week’s Arrow had all the feel of that kind of time out for review. Many fans won’t mind this mini-retread episode, because OLLIE TOTALLY TOUCHED FELICITY’S SHOULDER LIKE HE USED TO, WHICH MEANS OLICITY IS TOTALLY BACK ON!!!!
While it is worth noting that Oliver and Felicity have developed a new level of trust and breezy intimacy that we haven’t seen in a while, the show’s focus was reviewing how we got to this point, as Chase kicked off what’s sure to be his last evil scheme that is supposed to be the climax of the season.
Team Arrow takes time out to celebrate their victory, not knowing that “getting captured as part of your nefarious plan” was the cover story in the latest issue of “Evil Mastermind Monthly.” In a glass case at Argus is exactly where Chase wants to be.

In all, this was a serviceable episode. Parts needed to be moved around and positioned for the season finale, and Arrow did it in a quick, entertaining way. One can only hope the season will end in a way that is worthy of the villain it created.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Arrow Review: Honor Thy Fathers (Season 5 Episode 21)
May 11, 2017   Lissete Lanuza Sáenz
http://www.telltaletv.com/2017/05/arrow-review-honor-thy-fathers-season-5-episode-21/

Arrow Season 5 Episode 21, “Honor Thy Fathers,” ties everything up in a neat little bow, gives us an emotional glimpse at how Oliver and Thea attempt to reconcile the mistakes of their parents with the love they felt for them and exploits the team and the interpersonal relationships in ways Season 5 hasn’t done as much as it should have.

It all feels like a trap – but an enjoyable one at that.

Possibly because the show gives us not just Diggle and Felicity speaking like actual friends (hallelujah), but it continues the Olicity interactions in a way that makes it seem like the writers actually remember what happened last episode (hallelujah), and, it also gives Oliver and Diggle a chance to be the team of two they once were, even for a while (hallelujah).

Almost like this show is ready to go back to what works, to the reasons we invested on it in the first place.
... this whole episode felt like a plea, not just for the characters, but the fans.

Give us another chance. Let bygones be bygones.
Narratively, the message works. Oliver needs to let go of the past – and only Felicity could point him in the right direction. Thea needs to let go of the past – and only Oliver could point her in the right direction.

For us, however, the message is a little more muddled. TV is an investment, you see. We invest our time, our energy and our emotions into these people, and though they’re not real, in a way, we feel like they are.
We care.

But we only care about the people we know, not the pod-people we’ve been forced to watch this season. And that’s been our biggest gripe. Not the plots, not even the relationships, but that the characters we’d known for four seasons would never act like they acted this year.
A judge granted re-trials on ALL the cases? In the same day? Did all the hearings take place at the same time too? I get you’re going for the dramatic, Arrow, but even were I not a lawyer, I’d know that this is unbelievable at best, ridiculous at worst.
Who the hell carried that package to Oliver’s office? The Hulk?

“If Felicity Smoak can’t find them, I feel better about Chase not being able to.” Just another instance where this show makes NO sense. How did Chase find them and Felicity can’t?
I appreciate the whole thing with Chase being 10 steps ahead, but he often looks like 100 steps ahead and everyone just keeps playing the game the way he wants them to. A little unpredictability wouldn’t hurt.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4
(edited)
18 MINUTES AGO, TV ECHO SAID:

‘Arrow’ 5×21 Review: ‘Honor Thy Fathers’
May 11, 2017 by ALYSSA BARBIERI
http://fangirlish.com/arrow-5x21-review-honor-thy-fathers/

5. Could Prometheus actually be Human Target? There’s a reason that Human Target was introduced this season. And not just for a one-off. It felt bigger than that. With Chase being captured so easily, there’s definitely something bigger at play.

I want this to be true if only because Human Target inflicted Susan on us and I want her to be another cruel trick Chase played on Oliver. 

I never said I wasn't petty. 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 7

Arrow Review 5.21 – ‘Honor Thy Fathers’
May 11, 2017 | Posted by Michael Haigis
http://411mania.com/movies/arrow-review-5-21-honor-thy-fathers/

“Honor Thy Fathers” is a middling episode that fails to break Arrow out of it’s current holding pattern, now with only two episodes left in season five. Instead of establishing some tension, or coherent stakes, in what should be the final act of Oliver’s conflict with Prometheus, the episode roots around in themes of fatherhood and legacy that the series exhausted long ago.
The revelations of Robert Queen’s character flaws were hardly revelatory in any sense, as the character’s ethical and moral failings have been sturdily documented in Arrow. Which, obviously, doesn’t stop Oliver and sister Thea (a pleasant presence, despite the episode’s ineffective premise) from brooding in offices for large portions of the episode. The new information about Chase’s father, however, has implications for both the plot and the Adrian Chase character: Chase’s father was exploring a legal route to disown Chase, convinced of his child’s insanity. Chase is a maniac operating with a delusion: that he is honoring his father’s death and solidifying his legacy by launching whatever murderous assault he has planned against Star City.
The episode ends with Chase in ARGUS custody, smirking smugly as the series’ generic and vaguely foreboding music bleeds into the scene. Clearly, Chase’s endgame is still before him. The scene reference’s The Dark Knight, and The Joker’s plot to get himself captured. That movie is a standard bearer of the genre, but The Joker’s plot was as comically byzantine then as Chase’s appears to be now. Arrow will undoubtedly reveal what the antagonist is planning in the final two episodes, but it will be difficult to construct a plan for the Chase that credibly justifies the machinations of “Honor Thy Fathers”.

(edited)

Five Things You Didn’t Know About Emily Bett Rickards
Nat Berman  May 12, 2017
http://www.tvovermind.com/entertainment-news/five-things-didnt-know-emily-bett-rickards

Emily Bett Rickards is a Canadian actress who has had a fair amount of success when it comes to TV shows. In main, she is known for her role as Felicity Smoak on The CW’s Arrow, though it is interesting to note that her character has appeared on the TV show’s spin-offs, The Flash, Vixen, and Legends of Tomorrow. As a result, while she plays a secondary character, she is nonetheless a much beloved member of the cast among the fandom.

Got Started At a Young Age
Rickards got started by introducing herself to dance and musical theatre, which she hoped would serve as a springboard to more serious acting. She was so dedicated to her chosen profession that she graduated from high school as soon as possible so that she could attend the Vancouver Film School, where she proceeded to complete the Acting Essentials Program. From that point on, it was no long before Rickards managed to secure an agent by attending an open call audition, thus paving the path for the rest of her acting career.

Was Meant to Be a Guest Star
Initially, Felicity Smoak was meant to show up in two scenes as a one-episode guest star on Arrow. However, her appearance managed to rouse a fair amount of interest from the media while Stephen Amell, who plays Oliver Queen, told the producers and the executives that he had a lot of fun shooting the episode. As a result, Rickards became a regular member of the cast from the second season onwards.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Echo Kellum Treats Life as a Gift
May 3, 2017 by  Chris Libby
http://www.livehappy.com/lifestyle/echo-kellum-treats-life-gift

WHO HAS TAUGHT YOU THE MOST ABOUT HAPPINESS?
The man who stepped in the place of my father when he passed away. He is my cousin by blood, but when I was 12, he kind of stepped into that role.…He is definitely one of those people who taught me how to maintain happiness and how to strive for what you believe in. He is actually a person of the LGBT community, which is why it makes this current role [Curtis Holt] special. It’s like I am doing it for him. He has wisdom and has helped me get to where I am today.
HOW DO YOU LIVE HAPPY?
I take every day as a gift, and I feel blessed and fortunate that we are on this journey. I surround myself with people I love, create art that means something to people and I smile. Even just smiling releases endorphins and things inside of you that make you happy.

• Love 2
(edited)

‘Arrow’ Review: “Honor Thy Fathers”
Nora Dominick   May 12, 2017
http://emertainmentmonthly.com/index.php/arrow-review-honor-thy-fathers/

We’ve said it before, but Arrow has become a beloved TV show for the character it has given us. From Felicity to Sara Lance to Curtis, the show knows how to use characters to build not only their main superhero, but also the show as a whole. It’s a skill we thought the show mastered until season five. Faced with the impossible task of rebuilding most of the core characters, Arrow floundered under the pressure. The show turned to impressive stunts over character development. A move that ended up being detrimental to the show. As characters were not a priority, Arrow suffered. Now with only a few episodes left in season five, Arrow has returned to the character development we’ve been searching for.

It’s safe to say, Oliver Queen has not been our favorite character this season. He’s character development has been all over the place. Contradicting past development is one of the issues we’ve had with Arrow season five. In one breathe, Oliver is saying that killing is wrong, while he leaves the Arrow Bunker and kills people in Star City. It became very hard to trust our leading character when we didn’t even understand his motives. Now after 21 episodes, Oliver has achieved some of his best character development all season and it’s all thanks to Felicity.
Stephen Amell and Emily Bett Rickards are the pairing Arrow needs to survive and that was very apparent in this episode. After the Olicity centered episode that featured Oliver and Felicity clearing the air on their past relationship, we’re finally back into the groove of Arrow. While they aren’t romantically together, having Felicity and Oliver being able to talk is a massive plus. Amell and Rickards work effortlessly together. It’s hard to imagine either character existing without the other and this episode proved that. For several episode, Oliver has been unable to suit up as Green Arrow. As soon as Felicity tells her that Green Arrow has changed her life, he suits up. This just shows how important their relationship is. Amell and Rickards are incredible together. When they work together, Arrow just falls into place.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3