Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

(edited)

This whole list is hilarious, but I picked out some of my faves (I really miss her in-depth episode reviews)...

13 Times Oliver Queen's Hair Almost Made Me Stop Watching Arrow
BY LAURA HURLEY  Apr. 6, 2017
http://www.cinemablend.com/television/1644169/times-oliver-queens-hair-almost-made-me-stop-watching-arrow

Arrow's Oliver Queen is responsible for launching the entire DC TV universe on the small screen, and we can be sure that superheroes on the small screen would not be what they are today if not for the success of his show way back in 2012. In the years since, Oliver has endured his fair share of terrible cuts, ill-advised growth, and poor decision-making that have impacted his journey in absolutely monumental ways. I am referring, of course, to his hair.
c10594e9071886736d5b5ab0d2c68f33ae0db501

Season 1, Episode 1: Pilot
You might think that Oliver's original Tarzan hair from the pilot, complete with two feet of scraggly hair and beard, would be the first 'do to make me want to change the channel, but I endured that. Hey, he spent five years on an island in the South China Sea! Of course he's not going to look his most dapper. His pre-Lian Yu hair, however, is a different story. Stephen Amell barely seems like the same person when he has what I've come to call the "Pre-Island Ollie" look, and I know which version of Oliver I prefer.
fe305b605f76c7b61ab61f58cd18b8731adbaaca

Season 1, Episode 21: The Undertaking
Oh, Pre-Island Ollie. What dreadful thing did I do to deserve having you on my screen? This particular flashback scene actually features Oliver at what I consider his most unappealing. He's getting ready to set sail on that fateful trip on the Queen's Gambit when his doting girlfriend Laurel surprises him to say goodbye in person, prompting him to give her sister Sara the heads up to circle the block a few times before they can go off on their sex cruise together. And his hair looks like that. Just... ew all around.
cf4cd46ce452c54f409927cbc0e841d460747d69

Season 3, Episode 4: The Magician
The pass that I mostly gave Oliver in the Season 2 flashbacks absolutely does not apply to the Season 3 flashbacks. The guy made it back to civilization and was staying in a home with a family. He had access to the resources for a shave and a haircut. Tatsu probably would have loved an excuse to use a pair of shears close to his face at this point. Instead, he's trying to blend into a Hong Kong crowd with a dirty blonde mop on head as the least stealthy assassin ever to work for ARGUS.
2c1c9ad4c29752adc8a1fc7132e012334e9aafba

Season 3, Episode 18: Public Enemy
In "Public Enemy," we have the SCPD getting ready to hunt down Oliver and prosecute him for his murders as the Arrow. In case any of the Starling cops somehow have forgotten what the city's foremost former billionaire looked like, they have a handy picture of him... that is at least eight years old and was apparently taken while Oliver was in his "What's the best way to look like a serial killer?" hair phase.
8864182cf2dee2a4040b839fbad374e73a46c2a9

Season 5, Episode 17: Kapiushon
Honestly, I just feel bad for Stephen Amell at this point. It's like everybody at Arrow conspired to make him look as silly as possible in this episode. Apparently, this version of Oliver had not yet learned that weirdly-layered long hair doesn't really go with formalwear. I'm only bummed that we never saw him in the helmet that he must have worn to give his mop that particular shape. It's okay, Oliver. I'd be making that face too.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 9

No spoilers...

Marc Guggenheim out to set gold standard for the X-Men with new comic
Mike Avila  Wed, Apr 05, 2017 4:00pm
http://www.blastr.com/2017-4-5/marvel-x-men-gold-marc-guggenheim-interview

Speaking of your day job, I'd like to ask you about Arrow and what's ahead for Oliver Queen and Prometheus.
I think after the last episode of Arrow you see that things are unfolding so much faster with Prometheus than I think the audience was expecting. And there's four more episodes left! The cliffhanger we left fans with before our mini-hiatus … the payoff will be worth it. We've really put the pedal to the metal [to finish the season] and we're burning through story at a reckless pace. As other people who work on the show will tell you, that's really my favorite thing to do.

On 4/6/2017 at 9:26 AM, tv echo said:

This whole list is hilarious, but I picked out some of my faves (I really miss her in-depth episode reviews)...

13 Times Oliver Queen's Hair Almost Made Me Stop Watching Arrow
BY LAURA HURLEY  Apr. 6, 2017
http://www.cinemablend.com/television/1644169/times-oliver-queens-hair-almost-made-me-stop-watching-arrow

Love Laura Hurley, and while I generally agree with most of what she said. I will say that OQ's hair in s5, especially the flashbacks is really working for me this year. I'm loving the s5 hair for OQ both present day & flashback. And the Kapusion episode really did a nice styling job with the long wavy layers.

(edited)

Lissete should find a new show because all she's been doing this season has been bitching and moaning and nitpicking every little thing about it. She barely even likes the good episodes - the ones that got more of an overwhelming positive response. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 1
(edited)

@kismet and @bijoux, I think Bratva Dirtbag Oliver's hair game is vastly superior to Bro Oliver or Jr. Serial Killer Oliver but Alone on the Island Oliver wins on strength of look. It's amazing how much the wigs change his appearance.  

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, wonderwall said:

Lissete should find a new show because all she's been doing this season has been bitching and moaning and nitpicking every little thing about it. She barely even likes the good episodes - the ones that got more of an overwhelming positive response. 

With the exception of the comic book bros, this describes most of the critics.  I'm happy to keep reading her reviews.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm not really one of the positive brigade, I just find her reviews a bit grating and tend to avoid them now because it just dampens my excitement for the final few episodes (an excitement I haven't had in a long, long, long time). But that's just me. I found her reviews harder and harder to read. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 1
(edited)

Sometimes you are harder on the ones you love and have potential. Arrow used to have potential that they squandered away over the past 2.5 seasons, for reasons undefinable.

I have no problems if reviews are critical or nitpick. Critics are being paid to deliver a review and analysis of the show, they don't have much of a choice to stop if they don't like the material. Now bloggers that randomly continue to review stuff they dislike that is a little bizarre, unless of course they still believe the show will turn around. And while Arrow is getting better, it's still been a rather crappy season that has left itself wide open for criticism from critics, fans & enemies alike.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 8

Arrow's Juliana Harkavy Talks 'Iconic' Canary Gig, Possible Black Siren Brawl

Some vague spoilers for the next episode, but probably nothing that couldn't have been deduced from the trailer.  Also casting spoilers if you were unaware that 

Spoiler

Katie Cassidy was returning as a regular in season six.

TVLine spoke with newcomer Juliana Harkavy about whipping herself into crimefighting shape, the secret to the Canary Cry, Dinah’s dynamic with her teammates and the prospect of a showdown with her predecessor’s devious doppelganger.

TVLINE | When did your journey to Arrow begin? And what did it involve?
It began in October, and it was a really quick process. It was basically an audition on Tuesday, the callback was Wednesday, and at 4am Friday I had a car pick me up to take me to Vancouver. I had just moved back to L.A., so it was all sort of a whirlwind when it all did happen.

TVLINE | Did they tell you that your character ultimately would be inheriting the mantle of Black Canary? Which is kind of a big deal.
After I booked it, they sort of told me everything that the role entailed. I had no idea that it was this big or this iconic or this epic, so it was very exciting when I found out. I had no idea going in.

TVLINE | Caity Lotz of course brought dance and some martial arts skills to the role, and Katie Cassidy was no stranger to the gym during her run. Do you bring anything innately physical to the table?
Well, I was always an athlete; my grandfather and my dad are basketball players, and I played sports my whole life. I have done dancing as well. Not really much martial arts, but I felt confident in the gym. And when I got here, they instantly started to teach me all the techniques and put me with trainers…. But I did feel confident, physically, going in.

TVLINE | Had you ever thrown a punch in your life? Smacked somebody?
No. [Laughs] I joke but I’m sort of serious: I’ve always wanted to get into a fight. I know that sounds horrible, but I always had the desire to see what it’s like. There’s something that seems so fulfilling about punching somebody. It’s good that I got this role, so I don’t end up hurting anyone for real. [Laughs]

TVLINE | How has your fitness regimen changed since joining Arrow? I cruised your Instagram, and you seem to have a healthy perspective on the whole thing, how it’s not about being “skinny” but “strong.”
That’s exactly right. One of the things that happened after I got this job and learned I’d be training and learning bo staff, is they said, “We don’t want you to be skinny. We dont want you to lose weight and restrict food.” Bam, our stunt coordinator [James Bamford], has been my biggest supporter when it comes to that. He said, “I would almost rather you have no neck because you’re so muscular than come to me and be unhealthy because you’re trying to be skinny. Superheroes have muscle, they’re strong. You don’t have to worry about a number on a scale.” From that moment on, it wasn’t stressful, it wasn’t like I have to work out because I have look a certain way. It was because I want to be strong, I want to be a superhero, to be able to stand up there with these big guys. It’s been probably the most healthy I’ve felt, because mentally I feel healthier as well going into it.

TVLINE | I liked one photo you shared, showing off your new lats….
Thanks! I’m working on it. It’s just so fun to wake up in the morning and have new muscles on your body. It does make you feel like a bigger, better version of yourself.

TVLINE | Now a couple of months into your run, how would you describe Dinah’s relationship with Oliver, with Diggle?

I think that these are the people she’s allowed herself to get closest to in a very long time. This is the first group that she’s allowed herself to be vulnerable with. Oliver was the one who sought her out and let her in, so her connection to him in particular is a special one. She has a particular fondness for Oliver — not in a romantic way, but as a partner. And with Diggle, he’s the second in command, and that appeals to Dinah. She likes to sort of team up and go on runs with him. He’s a competent fighter and so is she.

TVLINE | It’s kind of like whereas Oliver brought Dinah in, Diggle has been the one who got her settled in and showed her how to be a team member.
Exactly. That’s such a good way to put it. It’s a really nice dynamic, and it does make it feel like a big family where we’re all working together and helping each other.

TVLINE | Well speaking of “family,” I almost feel like Dinah is a smart-ass big sister to Rene and Curtis.
[Laughs] For sure. I think Dinah is sort of used to being “one of the boys,” so she’s not afraid to tease them or play with them a bit and mock them. That’s definitely part of her character.

TVLINE | Burning question: On set, are you actually screaming when doing the Canary Cry, or just popping open your mouth?
That’s a good question. In the shot that you’re talking about (right), I was definitely just mouthing it. A silent scream. But when we’re fighting and it already has that energy behind it, I will scream. You have to pick and choose your screams so you don’t blow your voice out.

More at the link.

Edited by Starfish35
38 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

She has a particular fondness for Oliver — not in a romantic way, but as a partner.

JH is smart to clarify what she means. No need to give more grist for the speculation mill.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

JH is smart to clarify what she means. No need to give more grist for the speculation mill.

Agree.

And with Diggle, he’s the second in command, and that appeals to Dinah. She likes to sort of team up and go on runs with him. He’s a competent fighter and so is she.

Well for me, it adds to my speculation that the show will go the Dig/Dinah romance angle. I may be a table of one, but I really do think if they keep Dinah on the show, they will hook her up with someone on the team and so far I only get palpable chemistry from her & Dig. The other are boys and as she said her & OQ are not romantic.

3 hours ago, kismet said:

Well for me, it adds to my speculation that the show will go the Dig/Dinah romance angle. I may be a table of one, but I really do think if they keep Dinah on the show, they will hook her up with someone on the team and so far I only get palpable chemistry from her & Dig. The other are boys and as she said her & OQ are not romantic.

I can see them bringing in a love interest for her outside of the team.  I agree that Rene seems like a child and well, she isn't Curtis's type, lol.  There is chemistry there but I just don't think they'd sacrifice Diggle's connection to Argus by hooking them up.  I take comfort in that at least.  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I can see them bringing in a love interest for her outside of the team.  I agree that Rene seems like a child and well, she isn't Curtis's type, lol.  There is chemistry there but I just don't think they'd sacrifice Diggle's connection to Argus by hooking them up.  I take comfort in that at least.  

I will try to borrow some of your comfort... But these writers have a track record of doing stupid & self-destructive character choices. So who knows what will get into their heads. I hope they don't break up Lyla & Dig. But they could easily just kill her off and make another Argus connection. I never thought they would kill Amanda Waller, but they did that.

Well maybe WB wants Lyla or the actor wants out. The thing is, they didn't need to kill off Amanda Waller, they could have just had her character not make anymore appearances. I agree that her removal from Arrow was probably connected to Suicide Squad, but her graphic death was a writing choice.

14 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

JFC they killed off Amanda Waller and Dead shot because WB forced them too. Hello, Suicide Squad! WB also pulled the use of Harley Quinn.

I still don't believe they were forced to kill them. Write them off sure but kill? Nah

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

I still don't believe they were forced to kill them. Write them off sure but kill? Nah

Maybe, maybe not. But, have you seen this fandom? They've been asking about a Pilot character for 5 years! There are constant calls for Walter (written off) Helena (written off) Roy (written off) to come back. Maybe the producers figured let's save ourselves the headache since we can't ever use them again and just kill them?

In either case, it doesn't matter the EPs didn't want to get rid of Suicide Squad or Amanda Waller they were forced to by the WB because Movies >>>>>>>TV

JH looks like she could be anywhere from 25 to 35.  Now that Quentin's relationship with Donna has ended, I can see Dinah/Quentin before I can see them killing Lyla to get to Dinah/Dig.

But first I think they would deal with the question of her missing ex.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

Was the ex missing or confirmed dead? (Not that that matters on this show) I also think he's the most likely candidate for Tinah's LI but please no more metahumans on Arrow. I guess we'll see if that actor is signed. 

If say Oliver and Felicity get back together and have a stable relationship in the background, then I could see the writers upping the drama with Lyla/Diggle but that would mean they get divorced twice. 

3 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Maybe, maybe not. But, have you seen this fandom? They've been asking about a Pilot character for 5 years! There are constant calls for Walter (written off) Helena (written off) Roy (written off) to come back. Maybe the producers figured let's save ourselves the headache since we can't ever use them again and just kill them?

I don't see anything wrong with that. They haven't given us any good characters to quench our thirst since about s3, that was not a villain. Walter, Helena & Roy were good characters played by talented people. They made an emotional connection with the audience. Heck even Raisa was talented in the pilot. I have far more interest to find out what happened to OQ's pseudo-Mom who always saw good in him, especially now that we have Bratva business & she was Russian - than to ever find out what happened to Wild Cat's daughter or Dinah missing ex. Honestly, besides Curtis patching up his marriage off the show-I could care less if we ever see Paul. In fact, I encourage him to move away from SC to work on his marriage. I wasn't even that sad when Evelyn betrayed them, it was kind of nice to lose her for a bit, I was bummed when she was only fake killed. I never saw Rory's last episode, but I'm sure it was fine.

But per usual, the writers misplaced their bets and took the easy way out. Amanda Waller was a dynamic character. She didn't deserve a bullet to the brain. While the fandom may be persistent, it's not dumb. We understand proprietary rights and how DC gets their knickers in a bunch when releasing a movie. I'm still wondering what will happen to poor BA when they release the new movie. We could understand if TPTB told us she was not permitted on the show until further notice. We might ask, but that's because people ask for quality, especially in the presence of mediocrity.

And that headache is the fans invested in the show, it keeps the writers employed. I think they can handle the attention of their fans - they seem well compensated for their troubles. I'd be more concerned when fans stop asking or caring about characters.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

Was the ex missing or confirmed dead? (Not that that matters on this show) I also think he's the most likely candidate for Tinah's LI but please no more metahumans on Arrow. I guess we'll see if that actor is signed. 

If say Oliver and Felicity get back together and have a stable relationship in the background, then I could see the writers upping the drama with Lyla/Diggle but that would mean they get divorced twice. 

Presumed dead. Which is why most savvy TV watchers fully expect him to come back next season. Most likely as a Meta and probably as a villain or grey character 

• Love 3

I think some of the problem with the new characters is they are basically the same with slight variations and totally interchangeble, to me at least. 

Tinah - lost family (ex) became vigilante w/ bonus sound fx 

Rene - lost family (wife/daughter) became vigilante, calls people hoss

Rory - lost family became vigilante, nice to Felicity 

Curtis - um, I forgot 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 11

Curtis got beat up and didn't want to be beaten up again.  But that's a good point about how similar their stories are.

Dinah became a good meta -- let's balance it out by making her ex an evil one.

Possibly Vigilante but why would he be working in Star City instead of where he was killed?

20 minutes ago, kismet said:

They haven't given us any good characters to quench our thirst since about s3, that was not a villain. Walter, Helena & Roy were good characters played by talented people. They made an emotional connection with the audience. Heck even Raisa was talented in the pilot. I have far more interest to find out what happened to OQ's pseudo-Mom who always saw good in him, especially now that we have Bratva business & she was Russian - than to ever find out what happened to Wild Cat's daughter or Dinah missing ex

I think some of that may because we didn't get to know them that well.  Raisa holds a special place especially in fanfic but was she really more compelling than Poppy's mother and why she was working for Kovar?  Helena was only on for 3 episodes and I thought she was a nutcase.  Yes, the dinner with Tommy, Laurel and Oliver was uncomfortable but if you break up with every guy you're dating because they have an ex in town, it's going to be a long, lonely life for you.  She was best when she was going on full BSC and they've got Black Siren to fill that place now.

Roy and Sin were both lost because of the actors themselves.  Their stories were pretty similar -- kids with a tough childhood who wanted to make things better.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I think with Dinah being a metahuman, pairing her off with a regular joe would be the most interesting route to take. Obviously, I am no meta but I would imagine special abilities like that would lead to a rather complicated dating life. For example, would you talk about your canary cry abilities on the first date, the second or not at all? I really feel like such a storyline would have the potential to bring out a more human side to the Dinah character. Question is: Is this writing staff smart enough to recognize it? That's where my doubts creep in. 

• Love 1

I wonder about the timing of these cast announcements. Not only do they seem too early, but during the hiatus? Why not the week when the show comes back to get people talking?

2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Curtis got beat up and didn't want to be beaten up again.  But that's a good point about how similar their stories are.

Dinah became a good meta -- let's balance it out by making her ex an evil one.

Possibly Vigilante but why would he be working in Star City instead of where he was killed?

I think some of that may because we didn't get to know them that well.  Raisa holds a special place especially in fanfic but was she really more compelling than Poppy's mother and why she was working for Kovar?  Helena was only on for 3 episodes and I thought she was a nutcase.  Yes, the dinner with Tommy, Laurel and Oliver was uncomfortable but if you break up with every guy you're dating because they have an ex in town, it's going to be a long, lonely life for you.  She was best when she was going on full BSC and they've got Black Siren to fill that place now.

Roy and Sin were both lost because of the actors themselves.  Their stories were pretty similar -- kids with a tough childhood who wanted to make things better.

For me yes, because in the few scenes she shared with OQ, I know they had a valued relationship. I know that she cared about OQ when he was a little boy, while he was a way and in the pilot she was one of the only people happy to see him. And she seemed to just accept that the island changed him. Wouldn't it be nice to have another connection to a happier past for OQ. He has no family left outside of TQ, Dig & FS (perhaps QL). As someone who's favorite character is OQ - I would like to have even periphery characters that mean something to him.

Poppy's Mom was a plot device. And I had to suffer through her children to get to her - who were also plot devices. I mean it's not just because I'm in snarkier place with Arrow, but really does anyone know who Tiana was? Everytime they say her name, I expect the singer from Empire to show up. I never need some heroic reason OQ wound up in Russia. He could have simply wanted to go there. While I have nothing against her, she was no more than a day player to me. He just needed an in to Kovar, he could have sweet talked or manipulated his way in via his charm.

Helena was crazy. but she survived multiple seasons. She has lives on the edge of good and evil, in a way no member of TA can. Plus she had a believable parallel emotional journey to OQ's story. While I don't want her on the show permanently, I like when she visits. I enjoy morally grey characters, with a touch of wild. Perhaps that can be BS's role now, but I can understand people wanting to see Helena. Plus MG has said that he would want her back if schedules allowed, so he fans her fans.

Roy & Sin were actor choices, which I respect. They wanted out.

I don't mind similar character arcs on a show like Arrow. I do mind characters that feel like paper dolls with no substance. I can't get invested into characters that are as hollow as the new additions have been. Ray & Donna were honestly the last recurring (non-villain) characters that actually had substance.

2 hours ago, Soulfire said:

Well maybe we can hope for them to have as illustrious a role as series regular CL had in s3.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, kismet said:

Well maybe we can hope for them to have as illustrious a role as series regular CL had in s3.

Caity Lotz was never a series regular on Arrow.  Or are you referring to a different CL?

3 hours ago, kismet said:

2 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

Caity Lotz was never a series regular on Arrow.  Or are you referring to a different CL?

I think she's hoping,  much like me, that they somehow get shot with a bunch of arrows and shoved off a building during minute 52 of 6.01.  And with that I say fingers crossed. 

Edit:  I can't fucking believe that I lost Rory and yet have to keep these clowns, but I can because clearly this show hates me and I can't have nice things. 

Edited by Delphi
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

I wasn't closely following casting then, but I thought they made a big deal at SDCC about how s3 was going to be a big year for SL since she was being promoted to series regular. But perhaps I got my facts confused. I just remembered peopel being upset because they had conned the audience into thinking Sara was going to be big in s3 and instead she was dead dead dead by episode 1. Maybe they only sold it as a casting upgrade.

Either way I wish Wild Dog and TDD as long and prosperous a s6 and SL got in s3.

No they never promoted her.  I would have remembered that, because I was hoping for it.  They just talked about how she was going to play a big role in season three, which she did, by dying right off the bat. :(

CL was never announced as a regular or even recurring. Even though she was at SDCC that year, before the season started the only thing the EPs would say about her was that she was signed for 4 episodes. 

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Delphi said:

Edit:  I can't fucking believe that I lost Rory and yet have to keep these clowns, but I can because clearly this show hates me and I can't have nice things. 

I wonder if the actor wanted out of the impending shit storm that is the new Arrow way. If I was an actor with the talent of Rory, not sure I would tie myself down to a show like Arrow. Perhaps if I thought I couldn't book anything it would be worth it. But if not I would sign a limited contract and hope for the best.

I didn't love Rory. But I think a few more episodes and he would have gotten under my skin in a good way like Roy did. It's not his fault they felt the need to make Havenrock & it's resolution all about him.

15 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

No they never promoted her.  I would have remembered that, because I was hoping for it.  They just talked about how she was going to play a big role in season three, which she did, by dying right off the bat. :(

Yeah that wasn't very nice of them. It worked out in the end for her. But it was bullshit.

7 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

CL was never announced as a regular or even recurring. Even though she was at SDCC that year, before the season started the only thing the EPs would say about her was that she was signed for 4 episodes. 

Thanks, I couldn't remember. I just remember the residual drama & anger SL fans had with how her character was treated and promoted before s3, in light of the dumpster incident.

Yeah, Caity was never made a series regular on Arrow - or at least not officially. I remember that sometime in season 2, they stopped listing her as a guest star in press releases, so there might have been a series regular clause in her contract that automatically kicked in after a certain amount of episodes, but the producers/network chose to not retain her for season 3. 

• Love 1

I remember Caity Lotz smiling and being a lot of fun at SCDD.  Knowing that she had already shot the episode where she was killed off, I think that's impressive.

I think one of the reasons Rory worked for me while the others n00bs didn't was because they knew he was going to be short-term and didn't bother shoving him in my face like the did with Rene and to some extent Curtis. LOVE RENE! HE'S TERRRRIFIC!   HE'S A REBEL!  HE'S HIS OWN MAN!  HE'S JUST LIKE OLIVER! 

I find Rene tolerable only when he's far, far in the background, preferably bantering with Curtis to keep Curtis off my screen with the characters I care about.

4 hours ago, kismet said:

Helena was crazy. but she survived multiple seasons. She has lives on the edge of good and evil, in a way no member of TA can. Plus she had a believable parallel emotional journey to OQ's story. While I don't want her on the show permanently, I like when she visits. I enjoy morally grey characters, with a touch of wild.

I thought Sara when she came back in s2 was living on the edge of good & evil and had the parallel journey to OQ.  Helena had three episodes in s1 and came back for one in s2 but that was about Laurel and Sara and Laurel's darkness and she was used as a prop for their story rather than it being about her.

I think the reason I never liked Helena is that she's irrational and crazy people behaving crazy doesn't interest me.  Unless they're full out crazy like Prometheus that is.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I remember Caity Lotz smiling and being a lot of fun at SCDD.  Knowing that she had already shot the episode where she was killed off, I think that's admirable of her.

I think one of the reasons Rory worked for me while the others n00bs didn't was because they knew he was going to be short-term and didn't bother shoving him in my face like the did with Rene and to some extent Curtis. LOVE RENE! HE'S TERRRRIFIC!   HE'S A REBEL!  HE'S HIS OWN MAN!  HE'S JUST LIKE OLIVER! 

I find Rene tolerable only when he's far, far in the background, preferably bantering with Curtis to keep Curtis off my screen with the characters I care about.

Ditto. I really really am hoping for a bromance vacation of Curtis & Rene that gets lost somewhere far from SC, never to be heard from again. Perhaps they can find someone to recreate The Gambit or even Gilligan's route. Perhaps they should try the Bermuda Triangle for a little R&R.

I thought Sara when she came back in s2 was living on the edge of good & evil and had the parallel journey to OQ.  Helena had three episodes in s1 and came back for one in s2 but that was about Laurel and Sara and Laurel's darkness and she was used as a prop for their story rather than it being about her.

I think the reason I never liked Helena is that she's irrational and crazy people behaving crazy doesn't interest me.  Unless they're full out crazy like Prometheus that is.

Fair enough about Helena, I understand your point. She's not everyone's taste. I didn't mind her propping, it seems to be all they know to do with strong female characters that are not LL. Agree about SL's parallel journey. I far preferred the meat of the on the edge of good/evil story given to SL. I don't think I could have tolerated Helena for a longer arc. And because of that I think they could push Helena far more evil than they could with SL. I do understand people's and my own nostalgia for her brand of crazy. Much like Cupid for me as well. I don't want them all the time, but I love a little jolt of crazy every now and then to break up the monotony of Arrow.

15 hours ago, Delphi said:

My feelings exactly. 

• Love 1