Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

(edited)

For once, not blaming Olicity (though "always" is a bit premature)...

Arrow: Why Seasons One & Two will Always be the Best!
By Michael Patterson ⋅ Posted on March 5th, 2016 at 5:34pm
http://moviepilot.com/posts/3810627

Furthermore, Felicity's initial introduction as a recurring guest star who barely appeared, only to help Oliver with his "unusual requests" eventually led to her becoming a series regular, the Arrow's right-hand woman and perhaps the love of Oliver Queen's life. Once again, amazing storytelling!
Emily Bett Rickards and Stephen Amell have both delivered strong performances throughout the "Olicity" saga and it couldn't have been done without the amazing stories they told in the first two seasons.

By the same author...

Why Laurel Lance is Arrow's Most Underrated Character!
By Michael Patterson ⋅ Posted on March 5th, 2016 at 8:59am

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3809272

Edited by tv echo

I think this writer is trying to have his cake and eat it too. One of his article pretty much praises S1-2 and speaks highly of Emily and Stephen in their portrayal of Felicity and Oliver. Then he writes another article with stuff like this :

"Season Three of Arrow has been criticised with many fans calling it the worst, mainly due to Oliver's relationship with Felicity becoming the main focus of the show, Felicity losing her humour and Oliver's storyline with Ra's Al Guhl."

There may have been many problems with Arrow but the non-existent relationship of Oliver and Felicity until near the very end did not by any means become the focal point of season 3 IMO.

I think he is a Laurel fan but wants to give the appearance of being fair to both sides but to me only a Laurel fan could have thought this:

"however, there were some really great standout episodes. One of my favorite aspects of the season was Laurel's journey to becoming the Black Canary. She really made those Oliver-less episodes worth watching. Laurel's journey was one of the silver linings of Season Three - to see her grow as a character and develop into a fully fledged hero really made for a really compelling arc. And when she finally made her debut, she kicked ass."e 

You can't tell me he isn't low-key cheerleading for Laurel while at the same time trying to also slam Olicity.

• Love 4

By the same author...

Why Laurel Lance is Arrow's Most Underrated Character!

By Michael Patterson ⋅ Posted on March 5th, 2016 at 8:59am

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3809272

tumblr_nazoj5eWUN1tnxkd1o1_500.gif

I think this writer is trying to have his cake and eat it too. One of his article pretty much praises S1-2 and speaks highly of Emily and Stephen in their portrayal of Felicity and Oliver. Then he writes another article with stuff like this :

"Season Three of Arrow has been criticised with many fans calling it the worst, mainly due to Oliver's relationship with Felicity becoming the main focus of the show, Felicity losing her humour and Oliver's storyline with Ra's Al Guhl."

There may have been many problems with Arrow but the non-existent relationship of Oliver and Felicity until near the very end did not by any means become the focal point of season 3 IMO.

I think he is a Laurel fan but wants to give the appearance of being fair to both sides but to me only a Laurel fan could have thought this:

"however, there were some really great standout episodes. One of my favorite aspects of the season was Laurel's journey to becoming the Black Canary. She really made those Oliver-less episodes worth watching. Laurel's journey was one of the silver linings of Season Three - to see her grow as a character and develop into a fully fledged hero really made for a really compelling arc. And when she finally made her debut, she kicked ass."e 

You can't tell me he isn't low-key cheerleading for Laurel while at the same time trying to also slam Olicity.

There is that rare animal that is a fan of both Laurel and Olicity.

• Love 1
(edited)

tumblr_nazoj5eWUN1tnxkd1o1_500.gif

There is that rare animal that is a fan of both Laurel and Olicity.

Rare indeed!! I don't dislike Laurel to the point of lowering my volume or turning the channel each time she appears. I just don't think she's good as the Black Canary (nor did I like that the show had to sideline Oliver and Diggle to make her happen in S3) or as a part of this version of Arrow. She has often been quite good in smaller portions and in a supporting role.

Edited by Ann Mack
  • Love 3

Would it really kill CW to give SPN some love every once in awhile?  I KNOW SPN is old and relatively self sustaining, any new viewers will come more from the TNT reruns than a stupid CW promo...but damnit it would just be nice to see them get some love.  It's starting to feel like the Dawn O years all over again.

• Love 2

Look, if Supernatural  fans are going to insist on following the show through every single schedule change and buying DVD sets of every single season, what else can they expect form the CW? Be reasonable.

• Love 10
(edited)

Look, if Supernatural  fans are going to insist on following the show through every single schedule change and buying DVD sets of every single season, what else can they expect form the CW? Be reasonable.

Cursed by a loyal audience!  LOL

Back on topic - I miss the old Arrow costume, this video just reminded me how nice it was compared to the Turtle look.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3

'Arrow' S04E15: What worked in 'Taken'

Laura Hurley  March 5, 2016 1:33 AM MST

http://www.examiner.com/article/arrow-s04e15-what-worked-taken

Thankfully, Felicity at no point in the episode took any crap from anyone. She pointed out all of the reasons why Oliver keeping his secret was dumb, she refused to absolve Oliver of making the choice to lie, and she didn’t try to make excuses for him. In fact, in her refusal to enable him or compromise herself, she proved why she has been the healthiest romantic match for the hero of the series.

Maybe this is why the comic book fanboys don't like her.

• Love 7

In this case, flat-chestedness works, as either would look totally obscene in that outfit otherwise.

Which is why they both should be wearing something else, that doesn't need to make them look flat-chested in order to be decent. It is subjective, of course. 

Other than the choker and too-long sleeves, I think Ms. Tran (I have no idea who she is so feel weird calling her by her first name), actually looks kind of great.  

I personally would never wear it, but I am busty, and would look ridiculous with that low of a neckline.

Other than the choker and too-long sleeves, I think Ms. Tran (I have no idea who she is so feel weird calling her by her first name), actually looks kind of great.  

I personally would never wear it, but I am busty, and would look ridiculous with that low of a neckline.

I didn't notice either the choker or the sleeves. I just like the way the leather jacket and ankle boots give it edge and pool it out of the precocious end of the pool.

I suppose EBR appreciates the figure skater esthetic, judging by this and her SDCC outfit. Of the two, this one is the lesser evil in my book.

• Love 3

I suppose EBR appreciates the figure skater esthetic, judging by this and her SDCC outfit. Of the two, this one is the lesser evil in my book.

That white dress? I think that's one of the ugliest dresses I have ever seen.

• Love 1
(edited)

I was looking for articles pre-season 2 about CL playing Canary/BC, and then I got sidetracked by this article where SA says all these lovely things about Felicity (and EBR).

The Oliver/Felicity is very popular online and in the fandom, I guess unexpectedly so for you guys...

All credit in that instance goes to Emily who, the second that she showed up on set for a one day guest star role - and I wasn’t paying much... not that I wasn’t paying much attention but this was early on a Friday, we were starting at 4 o’clock and we had to shoot this one scene before we then shifted upstairs to shoot a massive Arrow/Deadshot fight. So we had to shoot these one or two Felicity scenes and I’d met Emily and we got to chatting while we were setting up, then we get to our first take and she legitimately made me laugh. That wasn’t a false front when I see the way that she speaks – that was legitimate. She brings out something in my character that, though we didn’t know it at the time, was sorely missing. And I love working with her, I hope that dynamic continues, and there are elements of Oliver, not The Hood, but Oliver Queen that we haven’t seen yet in the present day that she’s going to be helpful with in the second season.

Do you see it as a romantic or platonic thing between them?

I see it as a dynamic thing, and if you really think about it, as cuddly as Diggle is, she’s the woman at the moment who knows me better than anybody. There is something very attractive about that.

And from a later part in the article:

I can say with a reasonable amount of confidence that Felicity was not supposed to be anything more than an IT girl – my mole at Queen Consolidated – and she took that opportunity and she ran with it, she made it hers and she made herself irreplaceable. I can’t imagine the show without Felicity.

If Felicity had even been a candidate for the grave I'd like to think SA himself would've charged into the writers' room and tried to change their minds.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 17
(edited)

The H logo with the arrow through it was what put me over the top giggling.  Crossing my fingers her next slogan is "United"

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 8

If only the old Arrow suit in the promo was more than laziness.

Or wishful thinking :)

It actually looked like all of the clips of existing shows were old and used before. There was new music and new clips for the new shows. But overall it was just a re-edit of existing footage.

Do you remember that interview to KC, where the interviewer asked her if she felt the pressure, or something, from the fandom, and brought up that" OMG Jimmy Kimmel has said Olicity!"? Do you know what site was it for, or have a link?

The H logo with the arrow through it was what put me over the top giggling.  Crossing my fingers her next slogan is "United"

Well she does want to make America "whole" again, so we are not that far from United....

• Love 1

"United" is actually the name of New Jersey senator Cory Booker's new book. I giggled all through his interview with Stephen Colbert.

• Love 2

"United" is actually the name of New Jersey senator Cory Booker's new book. I giggled all through his interview with Stephen Colbert.

I knew there was something about the title that seemed familiar.  Can't believe I didn't make the connection when I watched.  Lol. 

(edited)

Another old but great interview with Stephen about Olicity. This interview was given on 20 January 2015. With Stephen declaring Oliver's undeniable and committed love for Felicity as his "great love" I wonder why Katie would continue to say Oliver was Laurel's "one true love"? I feel for her that she had nothing else to hang on to, while Oliver (per Stephen's interpretation and the show) has moved on and found the "one" for himself and it isn't Laurel. Stephen is saying IMO no other woman from his past has provided him the kind of love Felicity has and that he is not looking at any other woman than Felicity for his future!

http://tvline.com/2015/01/20/arrow-season-3-preview-stephen-amell-oliver-dead/

TVLINE | On the romantic front, do you think there is a place on Arrow for a great love? I mean, Smallville had Clark and Lois, the Spider-Man movies always involve Mary Jane or Gwen…. A female is always a part of the hero’s journey.                                                                             
I think that both Laurel and Sara, for Oliver, were loves that were principally from the past, from before the boat. And any other sort of brief relationship that he’s had has been flawed. Felicity has clearly, over the course of two-plus seasons, grown into that love for him. It’s just a matter of whether or not they can ever find a spot where they can make it work on an ongoing basis.
TVLINE | If/when Oliver resurfaces, do you think he and Felicity will be moved to be a bit more frank about their feelings for one another, a little bit more selfish, and just kind of go for it?                                                                                                                                                          
I don’t think that they could be any more frank than they’ve been, or certainly than Oliver has been. He’s told her that he’s loved her three times, actually, because clearly he meant it in the finale of Season 2, and she’s never said it back. But I think that they’re pretty much on the same page in terms of he loves her and I think that she reciprocates. I think. I don’t know, I can’t get inside her head. She certainly hasn’t said, “I don’t love you,” so it’s about whether or not there’s a time for them.
Edited by Ann Mack
  • Love 2
(edited)

I'm sure it's comments like this that Katie gave during interviews that made some just shake their head, I know I shook mine. Katie NEVER KNEW IMO what her own identity (making comments like "to becoming her sister" is just sad IMO) was in the show. But she did know that she was gonna be the "Black Canary" come hell or highwater or both:

http://www.tvfanatic.com/2015/01/arrow-has-fallen-black-canary-and-others-suiting-up/

As Katie Cassidy is the sole female on stage with a bevy of handsome gentlemen, that should tell you something about the arc her character Laurel is about to take as Black Canary.                                                                                                                                                         

“I’ve been waiting for this to happen,” shared Cassidy about Laurel getting her chance to suit up. “She goes from avenging her sister to honoring her sister to becoming her sister.”

Every one's face on that panel is probably from them internally screaming as she talks while they have to sit there listen, be professional, and wish they were any where else but there on this particular panel lol!

Edited by Ann Mack
(edited)

IDK why I'm reflecting back on some of the earlier articles involving Oliver/Laurel vs. Oliver/Felicity but the comments in this one are well you just have to read some is all I can say, lol:  http://weminoredinfilm.com/2013/06/25/arrow-star-stephen-amell-weighs-in-on-the-potential-laurelfelicityoliver-triangle/

That Kelly Konda and Korinna really have/had no love for Felicity. They got some what vicious in their comments IMO.

Edited by Ann Mack

No, means the opposite there's another 2 week break somewhere

Maybe between episodes 18 and 19. Last year there was a 3 week break between 315 and 316; one week between 318 and 319. This year there's 4 weeks between 15 and 16. 

Catching up. KC's Social Media can be broken up into LL/BC, TomBoyKC, Seahawks. I can't remember posts about anti-bully or social awareness. Other than the make up free posts (I can't remember what that one is called).

• Love 2

Catching up. KC's Social Media can be broken up into LL/BC, TomBoyKC, Seahawks. I can't remember posts about anti-bully or social awareness. Other than the make up free posts (I can't remember what that one is called).

She SAYS she's anti bullying, but rarely does or says anything about it unless it's in an interview. I wish she did campaigns and stuff like SA does for his own causes... Unfortunately instead of coming off as genuine, she more comes off as fake. 

Well we should know next week if there's a break between 17 and 18 or not. If there's no break, we should get the episode description for 18, since we got the description for 17 today.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1