Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

(edited)

If you want to rewatch I think it was in 4.4 Beyond Redemption. I remember it was when Curtis was trying to get Felicity to listen To Ray's last transmission or voice or whatever it was called and I think it was that episode. 

33 minutes ago, looptab said:

Has he? Did he mention it in S4 or will it come up in S5?

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 3

Oh TV Fanatic, never change...

14 Former Couples Who Should Just Give Up
Paul Dailly at July 26, 2016
http://www.tvfanatic.com/slideshows/14-former-couples-that-should-remain-apart/

1. Oliver & Felicity - Arrow
.  .  .
This couple simply can't seem to make it work, so why bother trying again? They're never going to be a thing while working together on Team Arrow. Their personal issues will always to get in the way, and that's not good for anyone. It's time for them both to move on...for good.

Well, we're all entitled to our opinions. Though it being from TV Fanatic doesn't surprise me. I just read the comments though and someone mentioned that they've removed Felicity from the main Arrow page and I checked and they really have! Haha. It's literally just a picture of Oliver, Thea and Diggle now. LMAO. Petty level five!

BLOCKED. Now that's the kind of BS I can't stand. They can hate Olicity all they want.

• Love 2

It was when he was trying to persuade Felicity to decrypt Ray's last recording. He said something about his brother dying (he was sick) and how he would give anything to be able to talk to his brother again ... or something like that :)

• Love 1

Producers Impact Report 2016
BY VARIETY STAFF  August 2, 2016
http://variety.com/gallery/producers-impact-report-2016-greg-berlanti-shonda-rhimes/

1 of 57 Photos
Greg Berlanti
“Arrow,” “The Flash,” “Supergirl” and “Legends of Tomorrow” (The CW)

Character I want to be: “I would be Jesse Martin …, but not to be his character, just so I could be Jesse Martin and sing like Jesse Martin for a day.”

Biggest industry change: “Fan feedback going from a box of letters once every few months to literally tweeting while the show is airing. We are able to get a much quicker response to the choices we’re making as storytellers.”

Room for improvement: “I think in television there’s more of an awareness about a need for more diversity, but there still needs to be great practical strides taken to improve diversity in front of and behind the camera.”

Berlanti’s DC Team: Sarah Schechter, Marc Guggenheim and Andrew Kreisberg (“Arrow,” “The Flash,” “Supergirl”), Ali Adler (“Supergirl”), Wendy Mericle (“Arrow”)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Emily Bett Rickards Fitness: The Arrow Star Shares Workout Snaps on Instagram
By : Emily Lunardo | Tuesday, August 2, 2016
http://www.foods4betterhealth.com/emily-bett-rickards-fitness-the-arrow-star-shares-workout-snaps-on-instagram-16383

Emily Bett Rickards’s fitness routine looks pretty intense if you’ve been following her on Instagram. The star from Arrow posted a workout pic which showed her on a medicine ball with weights in her hand. Emily Bett Rickards’s weight loss is largely due to her trainer and T3 Athletics owner Thomas Taylor—whom she also gave photo credit to. T3 Athletics’s slogan is “Striving to make painful things fun,” so Rickards must have at least been enjoying herself. For Emily Bett Rickards, workouts are both fun and a way of life.
Rickards has previously admitted to working out a lot, at least twice a day. She has more than one trainer; she also trains with Brady Roberts. Some of her favorite workouts include hot yoga and running.

For Rickards, working out is part of her life and she continues to push herself each day. Even after a long day of filming Arrow, she still feels the need to push herself in the gym, and she credits that for keeping her focused while on set. As an action star Rickards performs many of her own stunts, and to do so you need to be in great shape. But fitness isn’t something new to Rickards; in fact, growing up she was very much into gymnastics so it’s no surprise that she still maintains a love of fitness.

Rickards also enjoys Soul Cycle—some may even call her addicted to it—which is a full-body workout combining great tunes with weights and core exercises. When Rickards needs some extra motivation to power through a workout, she notes that a change in perspective usually helps her get through it (and some great workout tracks from Bruno Mars or Mayer Hawthorne certainly help as well).

For Rickards, workouts and fitness are a passion. Even Emily Bett Rickards’s workout pics suggest that she loves lifting weights and getting down to the grind. Whether she’s working alongside Thomas Taylor of T3 Athletics or doing her own thing, it’s no surprise that she has managed to achieve great weight loss results along with a killer body!

Edited by tv echo
22 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I don't get the weight loss aspect of that article at all. If anything, she's probably gained weight due to more muscle mass.

Agreed. Why mention weight loss at all? It's not like she's dropped sizes considerably - or at all. Why not just talk about how fit she is? Ugh. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, bijoux said:

I don't get the weight loss aspect of that article at all. If anything, she's probably gained weight due to more muscle mass.

57 minutes ago, bethy said:

Agreed. Why mention weight loss at all? It's not like she's dropped sizes considerably - or at all. Why not just talk about how fit she is? Ugh. 

Because in Hollywood a stick figure could stand to lose a few pounds ?

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Because in Hollywood a stick figure could stand to lose a few pounds ?

I would get that if she actually had lost weight and the press was praising her while we were here bemoaning what a nice figure she used to have. But there is no 'amazing weight loss' here. Like, if I had read the same article about KC during S2, I would disagree but I could see what weight loss they were talking about. Here I'm just perplexed.

• Love 1

I strongly disagree with his list - I would've substituted Felicity for Curtis or Thea.  IMO, killing Felicity would kill the show...

Arrow Season 5: 4 Characters That Absolutely Cannot Die (And 5 That Can)
James Hunt  August 4, 2016
http://whatculture.com/tv/arrow-season-5-4-characters-that-absolutely-cannot-die-and-5-that-can

Can't Die (his list):
4. Oliver Queen
3. Curtis Holt
2. John Diggle
1. Thea Queen

Can Die (his list): 
5. Felicity Smoak
4. Roy Harper
3. Nyssa al Ghul
2. Quentin Lance
1. Malcolm Merlyn

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Ah, yes. Curtis Holt, who has been on the show for one season not even as a regular, is on the same level as Oliver, Thea, and Diggle because he is essential to the show in his role as... Felicity's engineer friend.

Meanwhile, Felicity, who has been on the show for 4 seasons, runs ops and hacks for the team, is Oliver's default love interest, Diggle's close friend, and liaison to Team Flash-- she's totally expendable.

Try to be less transparent, James Hunt. (Is whatculture another one of those sites that accepts submissions and posts anything?)

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 20

The sad thing is, I believe he used to be pretty Felicity-friendly.  Also, I don't know how he or anyone can say that 45% want this and 45% want that and the remaining 10% believe this or that (unless you're omniscient).

Edited by tv echo

Dude, it's Oliver's show and he's not on top of the can't die list? Unless we're talking act 4 of the final episode, that really tells you how seriously this should be taken.

• Love 13

He didn't even beat out Curtis Holt. Seriously the list is a flawed wish list at best.

From a story perspective - everyone is expendable - even OQ. From a will the show survive or thrive - there are some people that are not expendable. Until they find a good replacement for either Dig, Felicity or Thea. Those people are on a must live list along with OQ.

Now perhaps they are gearing up Curtis to replace both Dig & FS and secret kid to replace TQ as surviving family member. But I really don't see that make a show that a majority of people would want to watch. And frankly, I don't see OQ wanting to live in that world. Maybe he'll just go live in his underground hole until SL comes to rescue him from his sorrows in 2046.

• Love 1

I think the number order is built for shock value, not top to stay and top to go, which is why Oliver is the first "duh, can't kill him."

For approximately 45% of the fanbase, Felicity would be number 1 on this section of the list, and is responsible for everything wrong with the show. Then there's the other 45%, who think the complete opposite, and that Felicity can do no wrong and her and Oliver should be together no matter what. Then there's the remaining 10%, who realise Felicity is a once-great character now being ruined by bad writing, but hope things can still be turned around.

I do think Felicity can do no wrong because EBR always finds a way to make me connect to who she is and what she is feeling even when the writers aren't giving her any view point voice.  It's reductive and annoying to reduce the pro-Felicity camp to the "Olicity only" camp.  Honestly, if they don't actually address Oliver's choice to lie to Felicity before they get back together, I'll may turn anti-Olicity.

I really do wonder what "bad-writing" he's talking about.  Is it the fact that she's no longer the comic-relief?  What has she done that is inconsistent with why she was "once-great"?  Ugh.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, dtissagirl said:

I just want to see the source of those percentages, since he obviously contracted a polling organization to come up with them.

Also really considerate of the polling organization to give three choices for people to choose from instead of the common 1 for love 2 for hate. Very nice (I work at a real polling organization and random people throwing out fake percentages willy-nilly irritates me).

Edited by way2interested
  • Love 8

Yes, he wrote episode reviews and articles on Arrow, along with two other guys at WhatCulture.  He and Andrew Pollard were relatively neutral or pro-Felicity for awhile but have been getting more negative lately. The third guy, Connor Briggs-Morris, has always been very anti-Felicity and anti-Olicity (iirc).

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I hope after s3/4, the writers have finally figured out that no one is untouchable. There is a breaking point when someone's likeability does not eradicate crappy writing choices. MG thought he could have FS do anything and people would still love her... that is obviously not the case. Granted EBR does save a lot of the crap they throw at her, but there have been times when even EBR can't save me from being annoyed or disliking FS.

• Love 4

Kudos to whoever went Nate Silver on his ass in the comments and called out James Hunt and his fake journalism with those made-up numbers. It gives those who work in real numbers that never come out that cleanly a bad name.

Whenever I see some article that says that Oliver and Felicity are over, I think of Wendy Mericle at SDCC saying that at the end of season 4, it was only Oliver and Felicity left in the bunker and that means something.  I wonder if she's going WTH? at all these pseudo-journalists and their click-bait articles.

• Love 5

By the time he came out publicly in a May interview with Entertainment Weekly, he’d suffered through a bitter breakup with a man after a six-year relationship, regular bouts of panic-induced vomiting on set, an unplanned departure from Arrow (with the aid of showrunner Greg Berlanti), a one-month stint in mental-health rehab, and a stomach ulcer he is still getting under control.

Does that mean that having Roy leave in s3 was a work-around?  Like Eric Milligan (Zack) leaving Bones because of his bipolar disorder?

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

That's what I took it as when Colton mentioned the same thing in his Entertainment Weekly interview. That he had to step back from Arrow because of the anxiety and everything.

I'm so, so happy he's been able to find a bit of peace and happiness, but the party line that everyone followed about how they knew they were only going to have CH for two years and his departure was always planned never rang true. Of course, I understand why honesty was not the best policy at that time. 

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

Does that mean that having Roy leave in s3 was a work-around?  Like Eric Milligan (Zack) leaving Bones because of his bipolar disorder?

I always thought the line about knowing they only had CH for 2 years was BS. I figured they wanted to get rid of him because he was a studio push. Guess they were doing him a solid instead 

• Love 4

Yeah I never believed the two-year thing either (I sort of thought he was pushed out to make room for Thea or Laurel on the team ), but I'm glad to know they were good enough to work with him.  I still hope he gets to come back sometime - I miss Roy.

• Love 6

Interesting article (the whole article is lengthy but worth reading)...

"Canon Isn't Real": And Other Controversial Things I Say About Source Material
Just About Write   August 10, 2016
http://www.itsjustaboutwrite.com/2016/08/canon-isnt-real-and-other-controversial.html

Either you’re against Oliver/Felicity because: a) you think any romance ruins television shows, or b) you think Oliver should end up with Laurel because that’s how it was in the comics. To the first, I would just have to say that I’m sorry but I disagree. Bad writing ruins television; romance never does. Let me repeat that for everyone in the back: BAD WRITING RUINS TELEVISION SHOWS. Were Oliver and Felicity written well as a romantic pairing in season three? Eh, I have my qualms with them but the build-up throughout seasons one and two was substantial enough for their romance to be believable. Were they written well in season four? HECK NO. I will be the first person to tell you that I’m now very blasé toward their relationship. But it’s not because romance ruined Arrow; it’s because the writing choices soured me to Oliver’s character (and Felicity’s, to a far lesser extent).

To the second camp, I have to just say that if 2,500 words have yet to convince you that the version of Laurel Lance and Black Canary in the comics is different from the Laurel Lance and Black Canary on the television series Arrow, I don’t know what will. This is a prime example of what I discussed earlier: holding too tightly onto something that your mind deems as canon that you are unable to distinguish the differences between adaptations. Oliver Queen and Laurel Lance in Arrow are based on the characters in the comic books. But they’re not identical. Nor were they ever intended to be. Nor will any character from a comic book or novel be identical. Look at Harry Potter. Look at The Hunger Games. Look at The Giver. Look at The Great Gatsby. Look at Pride & Prejudice.

Each adaptation is tailored differently. It looks a little different than the next adaptation. Because honestly, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: what is significant in a piece of source material to you may not be of significance to the person adapting the creation. And what creators have to do is make sure that their adaptation is true to the foundational elements of the story. Stephen Amell and Katie Cassidy have no chemistry together whatsoever, in my opinion and in the opinion — clearly — of the people who create and write for Arrow. You can choose to believe whatever you would like, and you can ship whatever you would like and I’ll never stop you.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

This is a fun article..

7 TV Characters Who Should Compete in the Summer Olympics 
Wednesday, August 10, 2016  Kartik Chainani
http://www.buddytv.com/articles/supernatural/7-tv-characters-who-should-com-60882.aspx

Archery: Oliver Queen, Arrow 
.  .  .

Think of anyone you've ever seen compete in archery on the Olympics. No one moves as fast, or with as much precision as Oliver Queen. We can't even say that he has an unfair advantage, because his abilities are all natural. No super powers are running through his blood, just hard work. Go make us proud, Olly.

Track: Barry Allen, The Flash
.  .  .
Barry Allen, on the other hand, may have an unfair advantage. Even so, it would be amazing to watch Barry literally run circles around the track in the time it takes everyone else to move forward even 50 meters. Barry would finish the event and already be back in his hotel room ordering room service by the time everyone else crosses the finish line.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I have to say a big yep the the second paragraph. Laurel has the name and calls herself Black Canary so that makes her the character, it doesn't matter how completely different she is from the comic character in personality and skills. The name is all that matters. 

You can name a character whatever you want but if they don't embody that character they will never be that character to me. I'm not saying they have to be exactly the same. I don't mind some changes but the core personality and skill set have to be there. To use the Harry Potter reference if you name a character Hermione Granger and make her a vapid, selfish, idiot. Then she is not Hermione Granger, she's just someone using the name. 

• Love 7

I think there are other reasons to not like Oliver and Felicity than hating tv romance and wanting Laurel&Oliver but I think that was a good opinion piece. She does touch on it after naming why people aren't for the romance with her bad writing comments. But not enjoying them when they are on screen together is a big reason why some aren't into the couple. They depressed me in season 3, I loved them in 4a and hated Oliver for a bit at the end of 4a and mid 4b and then was neutral on the couple the rest of the season. I enjoy their potential in season 1 and 2 but I also liked some of the other romance and felt that Oliver & Sara were enjoyable and showed that a Green Arrow and Black Canary can work on tv. Though their back story was just something I was never going to be able to overcome.  And of course After the early moments of the pilot I knew I was never going to accept Oliver and Laurel. A bad back story, I put into that bad writing category. 

General news report on the TCA Summer 2016 Press Tour, including Arrowverse news (warning: some of it is spoilery)...

TCA 2016: Everything you missed from TV's big press tour
BY JAMES HIBBERD, NATALIE ABRAMS  August 12 2016
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/12/tca-2016 

Other news from the TCA Summer 2016 Press Tour affecting Arrow...

CW Sleeps with the Enemy as Deal with Hulu Expires
August 13, 2016 Cristina Lee
http://wallstreetpit.com/111698-cw-sleeps-enemy-deal-hulu-expires/

Heads up, Netflix, Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX) fans, you can now watch your favorite CW shows as the network inks a deal that makes its highly rated series available on the service eight days after their respective season finales. The agreement came just in time for CW network’s 10th anniversary next month.

Although the deal generated quite a buzz, there are rumblings that a deal with Netflix might affect CW’s TV ratings, something that network president Mark Pedowitz shrugged off.

At a Television Critics Association’s summer press tour in L.A., Pedowitz said he is not worried that the deal will pull viewers away from linear TV, saying, “I believe that people who want to watch in-season are going to watch.” He added that the deal would enable people who want to watch the show after the season has ended, with an almost immediate chance to binge-watch.
Apart from clinching an agreement with Netflix, the CW has existing partnerships with streaming service Hulu. However, that deal is about to expire soon, which means the network will get exclusive in-season streaming rights to its show. Before the season starts, CW will expand its app to other streaming services, including Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast and Amazon Fire.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1