Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters Renovation - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Oooh you're right about the bathroom.  The finished product didn't look good at all. But at least it was new and clean for her to bathe the kids.

I think the stainless looked nice with the tile except if stainless ever goes out of fashion and they get different appliances they are going to have to change that backsplash.

Quartz and marble are both pricey, but I think quartz might be more expensive.  So happy it wasn't the standard granite that 99.9% of HH's just must have for their lives to be perfect.  Quartz was a wonderful substitute.  I agree that the counter top on the bathroom vanity did not go with the wall color, but maybe they like that color combo. 

But geez..shaker cabinets again?  It's like the same designer does every single episode of this show.

I like and used Shaker in my own kitchen, but it seems destined to be the almond melamine (which I also thought was a nice look at the time!) of the early 2000s. Except for slab panels, what else would suit a mid-range reno project? I think we're past arches and eyebrows -- or raised panels at all, really. Beading is a possibility, but that's by and large limited to country/beachy. Ultra contemporary or European is an option but that's a specific taste as well.

Cabinet hardware also seems to be focused primarily on straight rod handles and pulls, although Joanna does tend towards round or half moon.

Edited by lordonia

The bio said they met in high school so she probably spoke normally then.  Then she went to Manhattan and decided she was a Kardashian and started talking like a shallow, brainless twit.  I really couldn't stand it.  Funny thing was that I assumed someone that wasn't a teenager and had daughters of their own would have figured out how to talk.  I wonder if seeing this on film freaked her out or if she really is that brainless.

I thought it was a good finished product.  The update to the space was a good bang for their buck.  I'm glad she said no to the marble.  I have a friend where the marble on 'just the island' was replaced after 3 years because of the wine stains.

Her voice drove me batty, too.  Not a big deal but actually, in their bio, they said they'd been together during high school but decided to go their separate ways for college.  So, no breakup occurred.  (They must have gone away to college in different areas.)  She said, "I was dumped" and returned to the safety or familiarity of her previous relationship with him, her h/s bf.  (I assumed she meant that her college bf had dumped her.)  

She made it sound as if he wasn't her first choice and she'd basically settled by returning to him.  Neither of them looked like a great prize, to me, lol.  Said she'd worked as a pastry chef in Manhattan for a couple of years.  Don't know where either of them attended to college.

Unless it's a rare type, marble can be slightly less expensive than quartz.  DuPont manufactures a sealant with a 15 year guarantee, assuming a qualified tech completes both the sealing and registration.  Selecting a honed finish can also help.  If marble's used, I think it's a good idea to simply accept that as a natural stone, it may patina and show age or wear over time.

I noticed that bathroom countertop, too.  Thought the color clashed.  Plus, their ivory vanity may have lacked sufficient contrast and/or clashed somewhat with the stark white used in the remainder of the room. 

Felt as if they were grasping at straws to manufacture drama with the glass cabinet issue.  Never doubted that the designer would adjust the plans to include those or already had.  Like the other HHR designers, this one must have selected the safe, shaker-style cabinets b/c she probably hadn't met them in advance.

More manufactured drama with the f/p.  Her husband couldn't simply read the directions?  Or, why not her?  They were fortunate, however, that their reno apparently lacked actual drama.

The stainless steel tiles / accent didn't work for me.  IMHO she didn't use enough of them to make an impact.  Looked like either an afterthought or, more likely, they ran out of tile and used them as filler.

Assuming they did the standard, HHR, 30K construction contract, I didn't see the other 20K+ of value.  Their cabinets definitely appeared stock so not convinced the kitchen was that expensive.  Glass fronts were $660.  They diy'd the fireplace and had a little painting done ($1K).  Said the bathroom was $1,500.  Not sure how they used their $50K+. 

I noticed that the designer had photos of this kitchen on a few design websites.  In at least one of the comments, someone wondered why the kitchen had so many outlets.  Oops, those were the stainless steel tiles!  That's how they photographed.  Funny, funny ...

Edited by aguabella

Aguabella, thanks for the clarification on the "I was dumped' remark.  I misunderstood what she meant and thought she meant her now husband dumped her.  Maybe the college boyfriend dumped her because of the voice.  Doesn't take long to spend $50,000 if the labor costs are high.  Overall, it was a nice result and you're correct in saying it was done with little drama for a change.   

Aguabella, thanks for the clarification on the "I was dumped' remark.  I misunderstood what she meant and thought she meant her now husband dumped her.  Maybe the college boyfriend dumped her because of the voice.  Doesn't take long to spend $50,000 if the labor costs are high.  Overall, it was a nice result and you're correct in saying it was done with little drama for a change.   

I wouldn't need to dump her b/c I wouldn't be able to stand being around her for even one minute!  Although, I thought she mellowed out a little towards the end of the episode.  Made me wonder if she was puttin' it on for some reason.  No idea why anyone would do that!  ???  I felt a little sad that her kids may possibly learn or think at some point that she'd merely settled for their father. 

You're definitely correct about the $$$, laredhead.  50K doesn't go far when reno'ing kitchens and baths.  Yep, labor will kill a budget and they're definitely in a high labor market, being close to Westchester.

My only problem was they indicated everything had cost next to nothing.  And, if they rec'd the HHR discount, meaning a standard, all-inclusive 30K contract for the kitchen, I couldn't figure out where their $$$ were used. 

Well, the figures were probably incorrect - kinda' like the kid on the LA area home (writer who'd done much of the work) indicating that his l/r had only cost $1,900.  Don't think so, lol!

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1

Her voice drove me batty, too.  Not a big deal but actually, in their bio, they said they'd been together during high school but decided to go their separate ways for college.  So, no breakup occurred.  (They must have gone away to college in different areas.)  She said, "I was dumped" and returned to the safety or familiarity of her previous relationship with him, her h/s bf.  (I assumed she meant that her college bf had dumped her.)  

She made it sound as if he wasn't her first choice and she'd basically settled by returning to him.  Neither of them looked like a great prize, to me, lol.  Said she'd worked as a pastry chef in Manhattan for a couple of years.  Don't know where either of them attended to college.

Unless it's a rare type, marble can be slightly less expensive than quartz.  DuPont manufactures a sealant with a 15 year guarantee, assuming a qualified tech completes both the sealing and registration.  Selecting a honed finish can also help.  If marble's used, I think it's a good idea to simply accept that as a natural stone, it may patina and show age or wear over time.

I noticed that bathroom countertop, too.  Thought the color clashed.  Plus, their ivory vanity may have lacked sufficient contrast and/or clashed somewhat with the stark white used in the remainder of the room. 

Felt as if they were grasping at straws to manufacture drama with the glass cabinet issue.  Never doubted that the designer would adjust the plans to include those or already had.  Like the other HHR designers, this one must have selected the safe, shaker-style cabinets b/c she probably hadn't met them in advance.

More manufactured drama with the f/p.  Her husband couldn't simply read the directions?  Or, why not her?  They were fortunate, however, that their reno apparently lacked actual drama.

The stainless steel tiles / accent didn't work for me.  IMHO she didn't use enough of them to make an impact.  Looked like either an afterthought or, more likely, they ran out of tile and used them as filler.

Assuming they did the standard, HHR, 30K construction contract, I didn't see the other 20K+ of value.  Their cabinets definitely appeared stock so not convinced the kitchen was that expensive.  Glass fronts were $660.  They diy'd the fireplace and had a little painting done ($1K).  Said the bathroom was $1,500.  Not sure how they used their $50K+. 

I noticed that the designer had photos of this kitchen on a few design websites.  In at least one of the comments, someone wondered why the kitchen had so many outlets.  Oops, those were the stainless steel tiles!  That's how they photographed.  Funny, funny ...

No, they met as kids, then they broke up (she joked about being dumped), then they got back together.  She definitely meant it was him that "dumped" her.  She never mentioned a college boyfriend.

Edited by Honey
  • Love 1

No, they met as kids, then they broke up (she joked about being dumped), then they got back together.  She definitely meant it was him that "dumped" her.  She never mentioned a college boyfriend.

Will agree to disagree with you on this one b/c, listening intently, I rewatched that particular scene at least 3 times before posting.  We can agree that no "college boyfriend" was mentioned.  That's why I used the verb "assumed".  Incidentally, I based that assumption on the order of their statements.

They merely said that they'd decided to go their separate ways during college and had both dated others.  Most people that I know would probably say "He dumped me, hahaha" instead of something along the lines of "I got dumped, ha, ha, ha so he took me back", if they were doing a TH with their "dumper".

No worries, not a big deal.  I remembered their statements (and then rewatched to verify before posting) b/c I always think it's great for h/s couples to get a little time, space and (hopefully) maturity before they make the huge commitment.

Edited by aguabella

Will agree to disagree with you on this one b/c, listening intently, I rewatched that particular scene at least 3 times before posting.  We can agree that no "college boyfriend" was mentioned.  That's why I used the verb "assumed".  Incidentally, I based that assumption on the order of their statements.

They merely said that they'd decided to go their separate ways during college and had both dated others.  Most people that I know would probably say "He dumped me, hahaha" instead of something along the lines of "I got dumped, ha, ha, ha so he took me back", if they were doing a TH with their "dumper".

No worries, not a big deal.  I remembered their statements (and then rewatched to verify before posting) b/c I always think it's great for h/s couples to get a little time, space and (hopefully) maturity before they make the huge commitment.

That's okay.  We heard it differently is all.  I still think it was her husband who dumped her.   No worries.

• Love 1

Grrr. Why do I even watch these shows? Here I am, looking to downsize to a smaller apartment, and these ingrates with three-quarters of a million to spend are carping because they might have to run a gas line to get their mandatory gas range. Oh the humanity!

The latest episode to irk me was tonight's HH Renovation in Walpole, Massachusetts. The wife really got on my nerves with her constant complaining about everything being out of date. Um, you are voluntarily looking at Colonials in New England. "I hate wallpaper. It's out of date." Yeah, the whole house is out of date because it's practically a period farmhouse! I mean I wouldn't want that particular large floral wallpaper either, but because of the pattern, not because wallpaper is heinous in and of itself. Wallpaper could be charming and appropriate in an older house. Then, she kept referring to her preference for "updated traditional." Which, in her case, translated to open concept, stainless appliances and quartz countertops (at least they didn't choose granite). I loved the property they chose, but IMO it was wasted on her. They turned the first floor into every other open concept house, except for preserving that little area of brick and wooden posts. I could have cried. They took away most of the original charm. Was it a nice-looking first floor? Yes, but it was like every other reno on HGTV.

At least the upstairs was better, more in period. But I couldn't help thinking she really would have been happier with a new house.

The husband was pretty open and cheerful about everything, but what was with his insistence on an outdoor pool in Massachusetts?

• Love 2

I did have to laugh when he won the battle of putting wallpaper in her dressing area.  I wonder how much use she is going to get out of that gianormous soaking tub with 2 children under the age of 3?  I loved the property and especially the barn.  So much potential.  They did bust their stated budget by going over it $40,000.  That house is going to be expensive to heat if they didn't do any upgrades to the insulation and weather proofing.  No one every talks about things like that and I'm sure some work must be done in those areas if the buyers are savvy.   

I have to say, I really enjoyed the Massachusetts episode. At first I was pretty disinterested because it was the same old, ho hum script of couple with growing family seeks out old ass house with "charm" and "character" that they're going to eventually bulldoze through anyway. And yes, the wife just seemed incredibly sullen and unhappy no matter what, and it was a little weird how she pretty much plotted out her children's entire childhood mimicking "Little Women". 

But then I perked up when they brought in a designer who used to be a chef and knew about how to make a kitchen functional versus dingbat designers who more concerned about "aesthetics" and recreating dollhouses rather than what is best for a family that will actually have to prep and cook food in there. That kitchen with the grey cabinets (YAY for no white/dark cabinetry) and quarts countertops is pretty much my fantasy kitchen, and it was exciting seeing it all come together. 
The fact of the matter is, this is 2015 and not 1815, and I wouldn't want to live in a house that was built with the needs and desires of a 19th century family in mind. I think it's fine to "gut" a house for modern standards while leaving some of the more charming aspects, but that house looked really choppy and had way too much unusable space. I am pretty much fine with the changes they made. 

I get the instinctive dislike for wallpaper. I've had to take it down and I swore I would never deal with it again, but sometimes it is done creatively and the pattern is so nice, I can't help but think my mind could be changed about it. But I think it should used as an accent, never an entire room. I'm not sure why the husband was so insistent about having an opinion on how her dressing area would look, all on the idea that he will have to walk through sometimes. I think the wallpaper was pretty and went well in there, but he seemed to be a bit of an ass about insisting that she decorate her space with his tastes, when the rest of the house pretty much was decorated to his standards--and he got his stupid pool. 

She will use the bathtub once to say that she did, and never get in again until her kids are teenagers. I sincerely hope she knows that. 

I was not impressed with the bathroom as much as I was with the downstairs--and again, maybe because designers are sometimes focused on the aesthetics of a room rather than the functionality. That tub was much too large for that space, and it made the placement of the toilet incredibly awkward. They shoved in a double vanity, one of which is blocked partially by the toilet, and it just looks cramped and thrown together. Very disappointing, and I think that they will come to regret shoving that huge tub in there which will barely be used. 

I did have to laugh when he won the battle of putting wallpaper in her dressing area.  I wonder how much use she is going to get out of that gianormous soaking tub with 2 children under the age of 3?  I loved the property and especially the barn.  So much potential.  They did bust their stated budget by going over it $40,000.  That house is going to be expensive to heat if they didn't do any upgrades to the insulation and weather proofing.  No one every talks about things like that and I'm sure some work must be done in those areas if the buyers are savvy.   

I cannot fathom where the 140k went in that house, so I have to have some faith in the buyers that they replaced all of the pipes, electrical and insulation in that place, replaced the windows and made it as energy efficient as possible. I don't see a point in "gutting" a 200 year old house and then leaving all of the guts of the place stuck in the 1800s. 

• Love 2

I didn't mind the Walpole, MA couple but I thought it was bizarre that they selected stainless appliance and brass hardware. Though we have been making a concerted effort to de-brass-ify our c1985 condo so I do start to twitch when I see brass.

• Love 1

Watching an episode that the guide titles "A Young Famiy buys a Vers ante Transforms the Outdated Kitchen IntoTheir Dream Space" (2014).  After being couch bound and watching  a few too many of these I have to ask if any of them actually have a house inspection before they complete the sales on these houses.  Illegal wiring, support joists cuts, literally crappy plumbing. As soon as they open the walls it's a nightmare.  Wonder what those buyers who didn't renovate are living with.

Agree about budget and time being spend on marble and aesthetics rather than function.  One of the drama points was removing the 2 piece powder room from the main floor and then reconsidering it later. Whether this was fake drama and was never going to be done, it just made them look like doofuses.  You have a child and guests. Nobody wants to hike up or downstairs to use the toilet if they don't have to. I'm all for keeping the private areas of my house private.

Need to go back to watching Leave it to Bryan.

I didn't mind the Walpole, MA couple but I thought it was bizarre that they selected stainless appliance and brass hardware. Though we have been making a concerted effort to de-brass-ify our c1985 condo so I do start to twitch when I see brass.

That choice surprised me as well and I didn't like the finished look, but fully admit my own bias. I can deal with antiqued brass but the shiny stuff gives me bad 80s flashbacks. I'm sure that brushed nickel will make me cringe in another 20 years.

Just watched a new Kitchen Crashers and guess what color of hardware they put on the kitchen cabinets?  Gold!  I read somewhere recently that gold finishes are making a comeback.  Maybe not the brass we remember from the 80's, but a version thereof.  This is what keeps designers and manufacturers in business. 

Just watched a new Kitchen Crashers and guess what color of hardware they put on the kitchen cabinets?  Gold!  I read somewhere recently that gold finishes are making a comeback.  Maybe not the brass we remember from the 80's, but a version thereof.  This is what keeps designers and manufacturers in business.

I just saw that in a Boston renovation on This Old House too.  I actually saw an article that said that.  You knew it had to happen.  

I saw that This Old House in Boston and thought of how HHs would walk into her beautiful renovation and cringe in horror at the brass fixtures. We bought a house built in the early nineties, and all the bathrooms have brass fixtures (thankfully none in the kitchen). Now I can look at them and think, wow, I'm such a trend setter! I still don't like them, but I'm not wasting money replacing something that is functional.

• Love 1

Oh god no. NOOOO! Not ready for that, will never be ready. I will happily hang on to my outdated stainless/brushed nickel tastes in hopes that they will be popular again in twenty years. Because I didn't even like gold/brass fixtures in the 80s and 90s.

• Love 2

I can see the Walpole yf using her tub when the nanny's around.  Agreed, that tub was far too large for the space.

I can also, easily, see 140K in that reno.  IIRC, the kitchen was huge, including both a peninsula and island with high-end finishes and appliances.  Likewise, the bathroom wasn't finished cheaply.  They did both structural work and reworked the home's plumbing.  They used 2 designers.  Labor rates would be very high in the Boston area, IMHO.  Have to assume that they did consider energy savings along the way.  It just wasn't the chosen drama for the episode or possibly ended up on the editing room floor.

During the episode, the designer suggested that wallpaper, supposedly to incorporate both spouses' tastes in the mbr.  IIRC, jt was used on a wall adjacent to the mbr's hallway so the husb would have been passing by every time he entered and exited the room, not only occasionally.  In general, I liked the designer's suggestions although I didn't care for that specific w/p. 

The husband seemed fairly mellow.  Never heard him demand a man cave or other separate space.  The yf's comments felt like her own, i.e. not merely lines provided by the production team.  But, you never know, lol.

Retailers and designers have been pushing the updated gold/brass fixtures for a couple of years now, together with alternatives to s/s.  For the most part, they're not catching on in a big way - at least not from what I've seen.

Edited by aguabella

Retailers and designers have been pushing the updated gold/brass fixtures for a couple of years now, together with alternatives to s/s.  For the most part, they're not catching on in a big way - at least not from what I've seen.

When we had the wallpaper in our kitchen removed we put in new light fixtures over the table and sink that are brushed nickel. The newish faucet is also that finish so we replaced all the cabinet hardware with brushed nickel (pulls were ceramic, but the hinges were brass). I looked around and 'noticed' that the brass pantry doorknob was a tad out of place. My husband told me to just ignore it, so I do :)

• Love 1

I just watched the Walpole Massachusetts episode and found the wife to be pretty annoying.  The house we bought in 1980, brought up our children in, and sold in 2011 was a large colonial and was pretty similar.  I did not make it open concept but I did widen the arches in between rooms a bit on the first floor.  We entertained a lot of people there and not once did I feel like I was missing something by being in the kitchen.  I laughed at the wallpaper because we had the same deal, peeling back layer and layer of it. 

I liked the contractor/chef/designer and I think he did a pretty good job.  If I heard the wife say matchy-matchy one more time I was going to slap her.  I did not like the wallpaper the designer picked for the hallway.   I kind of like what the property brothers are doing..putting wallpaper on the wall the headboard is on. 

As far as a pool in Massachusetts..why not?  I live in NYC and we always had a pool and the development we live in now has a community pool.

When we had the wallpaper in our kitchen removed we put in new light fixtures over the table and sink that are brushed nickel. The newish faucet is also that finish so we replaced all the cabinet hardware with brushed nickel (pulls were ceramic, but the hinges were brass). I looked around and 'noticed' that the brass pantry doorknob was a tad out of place. My husband told me to just ignore it, so I do :)

Nothing wrong with mixing metals, if you like it.  That's what matters.

I just watched the Walpole Massachusetts episode and found the wife to be pretty annoying.  The house we bought in 1980, brought up our children in, and sold in 2011 was a large colonial and was pretty similar.  I did not make it open concept but I did widen the arches in between rooms a bit on the first floor.  We entertained a lot of people there and not once did I feel like I was missing something by being in the kitchen.  I laughed at the wallpaper because we had the same deal, peeling back layer and layer of it. 

I liked the contractor/chef/designer and I think he did a pretty good job.  If I heard the wife say matchy-matchy one more time I was going to slap her.  I did not like the wallpaper the designer picked for the hallway.   I kind of like what the property brothers are doing..putting wallpaper on the wall the headboard is on. 

As far as a pool in Massachusetts..why not?  I live in NYC and we always had a pool and the development we live in now has a community pool.

I was disappointed they didn't give the contractor/chef/designer much of a speaking part.  Didn't hear him present his design or ideas for the kitchen.  Nice space and very large so it may have been easier to work with.   

Using the bed wall can give w/p more impact but diminished IMHO if that wall includes windows.  Nice idea from the designer to use it on the smaller, less prominent hallway/dressing room walls since one spouse wasn't into it. 

Kept waiting for them to at least score the old paper and use either a vinegar or fabric softener solution on the old instead of simply moistening it.  

I was disappointed they didn't give the contractor/chef/designer much of a speaking part.  Didn't hear him present his design or ideas for the kitchen.  Nice space and very large so it may have been easier to work with.

I had a real problem with the kitchen layout.  She talked about task oriented work areas.  The refrigerator was about a mile from the stove which was no where near the sink.  It looked like a commercial kitchen were you are accommodating 2-3 sous chefs and a chef on the stove.  It just made no sense for one person cooking dinner.

• Love 2

I had a real problem with the kitchen layout.  She talked about task oriented work areas.  The refrigerator was about a mile from the stove which was no where near the sink.  It looked like a commercial kitchen were you are accommodating 2-3 sous chefs and a chef on the stove.  It just made no sense for one person cooking dinner.

I'm not sure I like the idea of 2 sinks in the kitchen too.

Agree, that's why I would have appreciated hearing more of the rationale behind that kitchen design, especially since that's where a large portion of their budget was probably used.  The large size can make the triangle difficult and unless you're routinely working with another person and/or entertaining, do you need all that space and function?  She might need roller skates, lol.

I can vouch for the 2 sinks, however.  Those allow another individual to easily help out with prep w/o getting in the chef's way.  They're used daily in our kitchen, typically.

Thinking about it, b/c such a large kitchen isn't done that often ($$$), I would have much preferred more kitchen design info and no "Wallpaper-Gate"!  

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1

The Burbank couple. Kitchen was the same renovation that we see: white cabinets, stainless steel, grey backsplash, yada, yada, yada.

But the living room? The coffee table was RIGHT next to the fireplace. With only an inch to spare. And then the sectional sofa was RIGHT next to the coffee table. It seemed like the was absolutely no room to walk around or even put your legs while you were sitting on the couch.

Maybe it was the camera angle? Or my TV?

My sis had the second prep sink in her kitchen, and it was amazingly useful, especially when guests were over and you were cooking/prepping for a crowd. I wouldn't mind having it in my next kitchen, but it is truly a "privilege" thing. 

I was just watching two of them yesterday...both with couples looking for places in CA at what seemed like exorbitant prices. The first one didn't stay with me that much, but the second, I felt as though the commercials were giving the impression that the wife was on OTT stubborn perfectionist, which is not the sort of personality I can deal with at all in real life, but she actually had a number of really valid complaints, I thought, when it came to dealing with their designer (who she only hired under protest anyway when they ran into some other issues early in the renovation).

One issue was the marble the designer had picked, which was totally not up to the abuse a busy kitchen counter is subject to. Another was totally unfinished edges on the inside of the stove cutout which would allow for all sorts of grease and moisture to seep in. I think there were one or two more. The designer had one of the meanest bitchfaces going whenever her ideas were challenged, but the wife was actually a designer in the commercial kitchen field, so she must have had a good idea of issues which can arise when form is chosen over function in busy settings. I ended up agreeing with her on pretty much everything as much as I was not a huge fan of her personality.

Saw this the other day but had a different impression of the wife and situation, overall.  Don't know what was actually happening but the episode drama all appeared producer-driven, to me.  The designer's "bitch-face" only happened once, that I noticed, but tptb kept replaying it!  The bleach blonde designer just came off as an LA wannabe' actress who was trying too hard during her 15 minutes. 

Haven't ever seen a designer try to enforce their will when it comes to the countertop selection and don't believe she actually was.  The grease situation mentioned by the homeowner is very serious and important in the commercial world but in home kitchens - not so much.  The designer is provided as part of the package by HHR so kind of free, in a sense.  I believe it's mostly so they have someone to run lines with b/c contractors aren't always that talkative.

It wasn't clear why they moved to LA or if the husband was working.  $$$ seemed tight and IIRC, they were just doing the show provided 30K reno.  They did some nice things DIY but it didn't come off as a flip, to me.  They made a few things too personal, e.g. the turtle sketched out in rock on the shower floor and some artsy painting. 

WRT the kids, they'd set up 1 bedroom as a "homework" room so they did have another bedroom available.  Also, they talked about adding on in another phase of renovation, possibly when more funds were available??

Also, the home didn't appear staged.  Yes, they did a few things on a shoestring as flipper might but I just thought money was tight.  Where I come from, it's pretty common for homeowners to do a few projects and eventually move up so that seemed consistent.

Didn't particularly care for their kitchen reno.  They reclaimed the wet bar area from the living room and turned it into a pantry, complete with prep sink.  Besides that, to open the opposite space up, they'd just done a window / counter, adjoining the breakfast bar.  Yeah, that's o.k., they didn't need to deal with a load bearing wall that way (if it was) so fewer $$$ but the pantry felt totally claustrophobic, to me.  Interesting idea to turn a 1 person kitchen into 2, however.  Anyone like it?

Another thing, WRT a potential flip, the designer indicated the marble counters were $5,400 cheaper!  She didn't mention sealing them - that'd be add'l $$$ but deal with some of the issues.  If they were flippers, they would have simply chosen the cheaper, whatever looks best staged and/or in photos and called it a day.

So, that was my take on it.  Didn't think they're going anywhere.

Agreed, but I feel like I was conned into watching a flip, which I can normally spot a mile away. They had a really bizarre reason for moving from Seattle to Los Angeles,(I like the surf and the water in Seattle is too cold!) and they mentioned having "renovated" three different houses before. They didn't focus on most of the other rooms in the house, but when they briefly showed that the boy and girl are both sharing a room, it kind of signaled that they weren't going to be there long.

I'm so tired of designers pushing their quirks and desires on clients. There's absolutely no way I would ever agree to marble countertops in a kitchen, and for the designer to refuse to budge because, "I don't like the aesthetics."  Um, you don't HAVE to like the aesthetics, if I'm telling you that this material won't work for our lifestyle, then you suck it up and come up with alternatives. Her resting bitchface was appropriate for her nasty, unprofessional attitude. 

Tried to quote this above but it disappeared!  Anyway, more on the Seattle - LA family near the beach.  Reply, above.

Regarding the gold fixtures, I was just flipping through some old photos the other day (looking for something else & got distracted) and noticed all the gold fixtures we used in a kitchen we renovated back around 1998. I guess I must have liked them. It's hard to imagine using anything that brassy anymore, so I'll be interested to see what sort of "gold" finish will look appealing and modern. Personally, I sort of like the rubbed bronze. It never quite seems up to the minute, but it doesn't seem to get all that dated either.

I saw some fixtures this past week with a finish called "champagne".  It was a matte finish and depending on the light it looked sort of silver and then it could have been gold. I thought it looked very nice and would be a good compromise.  Now I can't remember where I saw them.

• Love 1

I saw some fixtures this past week with a finish called "champagne".  It was a matte finish and depending on the light it looked sort of silver and then it could have been gold. I thought it looked very nice and would be a good compromise.  Now I can't remember where I saw them.

To me, champagne is one of those finishes that the manufacturers use to update the look so that your old fixtures don't work!  Here's a sample.  They're nice, but ...

http://www.deltafaucet.com/company/media-room/mediamaterials/Finish%20Expansion.html

Got around to watching the Fairfield, CT guys - the new episode from a week or so ago.  Nice 1913 home but didn't care for the reno.  If you're not going to do it all, why bother?  And the designer - worthless, IMHO.

Another episode where they left a bathroom adjacent to the kitchen instead of reclaiming that space and installing a powder room in a more logical location.  At least this time they didn't try to hide it or ignore its existence when they planned the reno.

WRT the kitchen, again, why bother?  In the original kitchen they purchased, both the cabinets and appliances were relatively new.  They could have easily painted the cabinets and installed hardware, making some minor changes along the way.  Why not wait until you have the $$$ to do it all?  (I know, I know - they were on HHR and had to use the free designer, blah, blah, blah.  How about doing a different room with the show funds?)

Unbelievable - they basically left the appliances in the same locations to save $$$.  Because the kitchen had at least 3 doorways, the stove, refrigerator and their small "peninsula" table all blocked / interfered with entryways!  Great for traffic patterns, not!.

To do it right, IMHO, they needed to eliminate at least 1 doorway and expand the kitchen's size by reclaiming the b/r space.  That way, they could have closed up that particular wall and used it to set up the triangle w/o affecting the home's traffic patterns.

And the designer's paltry little "peninsula"?  She removed a wall of cabinets to install that, replacing them with only 1 or 2 open shelves that won't provide practical, useable storage.  That was far too much storage space to lose, IMHO.  They also lost space (apparently) by installing that narrow, 1/2 cabinet for spices.  Other ways to do that w/o losing so much space, IMHO. 

And using a different type of flooring in the small mudroom?  I understand the attempt to set up a nice entryway but no, the space would feel larger with only 1 floor type, IMHO.  It had 3-4 diff types, all converging upon the kitchen, IIRC.  And, that was merely the back door, NY designer lady.  Anyone else notice that she seemed mostly interested in checking her hair on camera??  (At least to me!) 

To do it right, they probably should think about that home's layout and consider moving the d/r into the large f/r space, turning the existing dining room into a formal l/r.  (They wanted formal, delineated spaces, IIRC.)  The access to the kitchen s/b through the d/r and f/r space to eliminate all those doorways. 

And, yes, they should bite the bullet and take down the load bearing wall and install a beam to score the true island they wanted.  Not some dinky "peninsula" that blocks the 3rd doorway, Miss NYC Designer.  That definitely wasn't like any functional peninsula I've ever seen, lol!

Oh, btw, about their realtor, can someone tell her that yes, agreed, area rugs are nice.  Personally, I've noticed that most guests understand that the dining room is where the large table and chairs are located.  Just sayin' ...  !!

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1

Anybody see the latest episode: Boston couple, new baby?

HGTV ptb, enough with the faux baby drama. It's 2015, guys. Women don't stay in hospital for "several days" after giving birth. No, that baby wasn't a newborn. Few weeks old, at least, so not bad but can the rush to fjnish drama.

The designer blew it on that kitchen, IMHO. S he managed to make that room feel both cramped and too large. Her window cutouts were ridiculous. They'll be losing stuff behind those cabs for years! They had plenty of room f or uppers.

They could have easily placed the kitchen, including a large island, in half that space and then set up a harvest table in the other half. If they still wanted the large dr, they wouldn't have to go total open concept but they could have opened it up more by removing that small wall and part of the dr wall. Both the spice pantry and small butler window could have been relocated.

The above would be ideal for their large parties, IMHO. I don't believe the current configuration will work well for them, if they do truly entertain.

PS Was that 3rd corbel, painted in their kitchen's color, the one they selected? No, really! Too bad she placed them incorrectly!

Edited by aguabella

The CT couple turns out to be friends of a friend of mine. My friend reports that their kitchen looks really good in person, they are awesome people, and yes they do entertain a lot and the one guy is an unbelievably good home cook. No real inside scoop though, sadly.

The CT couple turns out to be friends of a friend of mine. My friend reports that their kitchen looks really good in person, they are awesome people, and yes they do entertain a lot and the one guy is an unbelievably good home cook. No real inside scoop though, sadly.

Thanks for the info Peanutbuttercup. Yes, I'm sure it looks great, for what it is. I just think it could have been much more. Theyll notice the things I mentioned over time.

I checked out their designer. She confirmed that she was given very little info. She presented her ideasfirst to the prod co and then HGTV. Reminds us what the priorities are!

Agreed, aguabella, I did not care for the way the kitchen was done at all. That said, my kitchen is both smaller and uglier than virtually anything ever shown on any iteration of House Hunters so I don't have much room to be judgy. Shockingly, though, I still manage to successfully prepare food in a kitchen with mis-matched appliances and formica countertops -- and not an inch of subway tile backsplash or a farm sink anywhere in sight ;)

• Love 2

Agreed, aguabella, I did not care for the way the kitchen was done at all. That said, my kitchen is both smaller and uglier than virtually anything ever shown on any iteration of House Hunters so I don't have much room to be judgy. Shockingly, though, I still manage to successfully prepare food in a kitchen with mis-matched appliances and formica countertops -- and not an inch of subway tile backsplash or a farm sink anywhere in sight ;)

Agree, it's amazing that anyone survives w/o the holy trinity!  Cooking is much more fun when you have to adjust b/c your oven's off 25 degrees and one burner heats up slower, etc., lol.

At least when you have a chance to upgrade, Peanutbuttercup, if you hope to in the future, you'll know how to set up the traffic patterns and other details to best meet the needs of your family.  I believe that's what the young couple was missing.   They'll learn those things as they entertain and use the kitchen going forward.

So, you see, think of your challenges as research! 

Edited by aguabella

Just watched the Boston couple with the baby this morning.  I really loved the kitchen.  It was roomy and nicely done.  The only thing I would have done differently was maybe make the window a little smaller by closing the part behind the cabinet.  After all you're not getting the light from the bottom because the cabinet is blocking it anyway.

I really liked the couple too.  No drama.  He was cute and funny.  Very likeable!

Her window cutouts were ridiculous. They'll be losing stuff behind those cabs for years!

Boston project w/baby - I agree.  I liked the kitchen in general.  The colors were nice, and it was something different from what we usually see, and I think it stayed within the character of the house.  So many people tell their designers "but I just can't SEE it," meaning, I'm not sure if I like this backsplash tile given the small sample.  I know it may mess up the project plan, but why not wait until the cabinets and counters are installed, and then hold up 2- 3 samples of the tile so that you can really tell how it will look. They were a sweet couple and I love a handy-husband.  The mom-to-be seemed incredibly calm to me given the situation.  Also, I get having a temporary kitchen and having to do dishes in a tub or bathroom sink, but I'd be using as many disposable paper products as possible (who cares about the environment!) to minimize the cleaning.

Just watched the Boston couple with the baby this morning.  I really loved the kitchen.  It was roomy and nicely done.  The only thing I would have done differently was maybe make the window a little smaller by closing the part behind the cabinet.  After all you're not getting the light from the bottom because the cabinet is blocking it anyway.

I really liked the couple too.  No drama.  He was cute and funny.  Very likeable!

The reason the kitchen appeared so roomy, IMHO, was that the island was significantly out of scale for the room.  The alcove, OTOH, felt claustrophobic to me, especially after she jammed that table and several chairs into it.

WRT the window, can't remember if they had 1 or 2 ** on that back wall but, again IMHO, they should have closed all but 1 of them and made that window wider and narrower.  It appeared they'd have more than sufficient light between the side windows plus 1 more on the back wall.

** Verified on designer's blog, it was at least 2.

Edited by aguabella

Boston project w/baby - I agree.  I liked the kitchen in general.  The colors were nice, and it was something different from what we usually see, and I think it stayed within the character of the house.  So many people tell their designers "but I just can't SEE it," meaning, I'm not sure if I like this backsplash tile given the small sample.  I know it may mess up the project plan, but why not wait until the cabinets and counters are installed, and then hold up 2- 3 samples of the tile so that you can really tell how it will look. They were a sweet couple and I love a handy-husband.  The mom-to-be seemed incredibly calm to me given the situation.  Also, I get having a temporary kitchen and having to do dishes in a tub or bathroom sink, but I'd be using as many disposable paper products as possible (who cares about the environment!) to minimize the cleaning.

I liked the kitchen in general, too.  That would be primarily the aesthetics, however.  My issues relate to function.  Because she placed the appliances in the same locations, that meant the cook's at the stove in the small alcove.  That, plus the lack of uppers, makes the triangle extremely difficult.

Don't know why you pulled the quote about the window cutouts, MoreCoffee.  The reason she did only lowers (and had the cutouts) was that there were at least 2 windows on that back wall, according to the designer's b&a photos.  Plus the back door, that gives you 3 fenestrations (wall openings), limiting the space for uppers, although they're doable.

That room had doors on at least 3 walls, not counting the alcove.  Would have to see the plans but I believe the door behind the alcove was the main one, located near the mud room.  Or, that is, main back door - anyway.  It's probably best to direct any rear traffic to that door.  You most likely wouldn't want guests walking directly into the kitchen, beside the fridge, in any event. 

So, if you removed 1 of the 2 windows plus the back door and then widened the remaining 1 window, placing it above the lowers, obviously, you'd have plenty of room for uppers.  I would also move the stove to the other side, setting up the triangle with the sink in the center.  The sink could either be located below the 1, center window or remain in the island.  The beautiful door and window frames could be reused elsewhere in the home.  With a wider, center window plus the side windows, the space should have sufficient light.

WRT the triangle, can you imagine working in that small alcove at the stove, baby crying and you need to run all the way around the island to the other side of the room to retrieve something from the opposite counter?  Besides needing roller skates, you probably wouldn't like it!  With my design, the cabinets would all be located on the back wall, around the main work area, i.e. the island.  I would set up the alcove as a butler's pantry with counter space on both sides, housing items not needed frequently.  Those counters could also provide an add'l serving area (besides the island) for large potlucks.

The island, IMHO, s/b longer and narrower, placed with its outer edge along the center of the room, dividing the room in half.  The other half would contain a large harvest / antique table for family and casual dining.  That way your guests aren't milling around the small island with nowhere to sit or hanging out alone in the closed off dining area.  Instead of seating 2-3, the island could hold 5-6. 

I would want to also open up at least part of the dining room wall to connect it more with the kitchen.  The alcove small wall could also be opened up and the spice rack moved to the opposite wall, opposite / adjacent to the stove.

The overall, main problem with these renovations is (probably) that most of these homeowners appear to be primarily relying on their 30K funding from the production company.  Especially with higher labor rates in metropolitan areas and if you need to do any structural changes whatsoever, that doesn't get you there for a kitchen.

Sorry for the long post, redesigning the kitchen.  I can't help but design along while watching.  How would you design it?  What's a requirement for your dream kitchen?

Part 2 - sorry for the length, MoreCoffeePlease

Yes, at least some of the designers present a fairly large sample of the countertop stone, together with a sheet of tile and a cabinet door to demonstrate the kitchen's finishings.  If the client still can't "see it", the better designers, depending on how strongly they feel, may believe it's their job to "see it" and try to enforce their will to obtain the client's sign-off.  They truly believe the client will love their selection upon completion.

As you understand, MoreCoffeePlease, holding off until after countertop installation probably only works if the client's satisfied with stock tile and living on site.  If the tile's custom / special order and the client's in temporary quarters, possibly incurring rent, that may not be feasible.  So, it depends ...

They may have been using recyclable paper but for filming purposes, tptb probably require her to wash a few dishes in the b/r sink!  Gotta' have that drama!  They'll never allow anyone to show their paper, IMHO, lol.

I liked the couple, too but felt sorry for the husband having to repaint that entire nursery.  It already had a vivid blue on the ceiling with a fancy cloud design so I was hoping at least they retained that and possibly repainted the walls to complement it.  They did an entirely different paint job with another complicated design, IIRC!

Sorry, Dad, I don't believe your son will truly appreciate that you did his nursery!  Sweet couple with the naivete of new parents, lol. 

Sorry to bore you with more, NYGirl ...

No need, IMHO, to incur the expense to merely remove the bottom portion of the windows.  Good idea, if they'd done it, b/c then they wouldn't require the cutouts but not necessary.

Better to change the fenestrations as I described, above.  With only 1 longer, narrow window, they'd could install sufficient uppers to centralize the triangle around that wall.

ETA:  Overall, IMHO, it's possible the designer did a better job designing for TV, a different task, than designing a functional kitchen for the homeowners.  She blogged that her first 2 meetings were with the production co and network.  Priorities, right?  How can these designers be effective when they don't even meet the clients until "go" time?

Well, when someone demos that kitchen eventually, they'll probably find a few interesting items below those cutouts, behind the cabinets, lol!

Yes, nice couple ...

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1

Anyone see the Sherman Oaks reno?

I liked the finishes they selected.  In fact, I've used some of those same ones on various projects, myself.

Also thought they did as much as they could with that home.  IMHO, the galley plus partial wall opening was about the best they could do in that kitchen.  Although I don't care for placing the appliances together, I could appreciate the long, counter space opened up for baking purposes.

PITA, like the 1 spouse said, to design the mbr around a tub purchased in advance.  Agree, "Who does that?", lol.  That said, again, I thought they did the best they could.  Made sense to add the french doors.  Too bad the bedroom felt a tad small after they'd pushed the mbr wall out.

Anyone understand why that room was categorized as a "den" for RE listing purposes?  It did have a closet, so ???  Agent simply make an error?

Kinda' hated the bones of both their SO choices but assumed they had to go with that location vs. Encino.  Knew they'd select the only place with a pool!

I saw the Sherman Oaks episode and liked the overall finished product.  I know that the designer probably did not appreciate the owner wanting to change her traditional kitchen triangle configuation, but he seemed to understand the implication of the change and was willing to pay extra for it and be prepared for the long term consequences if he did not like the result after it was done.  After all, it was his money and his house and while it may not work for many people, it worked for the way he likes to cook and entertain. 

In addition to the triangle, with adjacent appliances, laredhead, I'm always concerned about energy use, i.e. the oven vs. the refrigerator.

The designer seemed o.k. with their change.  They probably requested it right away(*) and then set up the drama for the show, lol!  Was trying to place the designer and then finally did.  Anyone see HGTV's "Design Wars"?  Probably not many but IIRC, she appeared on it multiple times. 

*ETA - Had that thought b/c the guy was either a pro baker or at minimum had some professional training so I assumed he knew what he wanted.

Edited by aguabella

I watched a rerun yesterday morning while refusing to get out of bed, in which a designer nixed the owner's desire for white kitchen cabinets (in a '30s home), saying they were too trendy.  She went on to put into this kitchen (blue) Shaker cabinets, a farmhouse sink, quartz countertops, and dark-stained wood floors. 

Yeah.  Painting those cabinets white is what would have been too trendy.  Okay.

• Love 7