Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters Renovation - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Charlestown couple were pleasant enough

Still don't understand  if you're a family oriented  couple  buying a pace where you can't really host a sit-down dinner party

If doable, I think I would have tried to put a banquette into   the area where the cabinets/window seat/cat feeding drawer(IMO stupid!) are

Also, did they only  have exterior access to basement?

• Love 1

The Charlestown couple's designer, who's also a friend of the wife, said that she doesn't normally oversee tile work, but she did in this case because she wanted it to be perfect for her friends. Does it mean she's OK with less than perfect tile work for clients who aren't her friends? It sounded unprofessional.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 3

Charlestown, nice house. 

I wish this brass mixed with chrome fixture phase would go away. I wish brass would go away.

No matter how good the rest of a design is, as soon as I see brass I'm out. Too much going on in that kitchen, I thought. 

Moroccan tile backsplash? Wood beams? 2 foot window seat? Idk. I guess if they like it all.......

• Love 1
8 hours ago, illini1959 said:

Charlestown, nice house. 

I wish this brass mixed with chrome fixture phase would go away. I wish brass would go away.

No matter how good the rest of a design is, as soon as I see brass I'm out. Too much going on in that kitchen, I thought. 

Moroccan tile backsplash? Wood beams? 2 foot window seat? Idk. I guess if they like it all.......

Yeah, brass still looks old & tacky to me. It’s all I noticed. I didn’t see the nice cabinets. I guess it’s different then the stainless pulls I have or the rubbed oil bronze that a lot of people have. In theory, there isn’t really that many choices, right?. Although, I think brass is still my least favorite. I’m also getting tired of the Moroccan backsplash, too. I think it’s more because it’s always used on HGTV. In general, it wouldn’t bother me if I walked into someone’s house. I know to keep my mouth shut. LOL!!!!!!!

• Love 1
On 11/5/2017 at 0:46 PM, sheetmoss said:

Still don't understand  if you're a family oriented  couple  buying a pace where you can't really host a sit-down dinner party

If doable, I think I would have tried to put a banquette into   the area where the cabinets/window seat/cat feeding drawer(IMO stupid!) are

I didn't understand not having a dining area either.  That cat had a designated eating area, but not the humans?  Instead, they have to sit all scrunched together at the breakfast bar. They could totally had a small table and two chairs along with a larger window seat or instead of that useless bench in the "cubby area", they could have added a table and few chairs.

I'm so over brass, especially brass with SS appliances!  It clashes!  

The "glam" light fixtures were all tacky and really didn't go with the "period look" that I thought they were going for.  The ceilings were low and then to add the beams made the entire downstairs look much smaller. darker and more closed in.  I hope they don't have any friends that are above average in height because they will be bumping their heads.

The powder room was awful!  That itty bitty sink looked horrible!  They could have installed a standard pedestal sink and it would have looked so much better! 

I didn't like the living room furniture/setup.  The TV was mounted on the wall, but the couch was placed where you couldn't really see it.  They should have went with an oversized sectional - there was definitely room for one!

They spent $70k on the first floor and the bedroom, but couldn't spare an extra $500-$1000 to build a closet in the master??  They set aside $30k for phase 2...what was phase 2 going to involve?

If the wife said "AMAZING" one more time... the town of Charlestown is amazing!  The white tile backsplash is amazing, etc.  UGH!!!!

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

I didn't understand not having a dining area either.  That cat had a designated eating area, but not the humans?  Instead, they have to sit all scrunched together at the breakfast bar. They could totally had a small table and two chairs along with a larger window seat or instead of that useless bench in the "cubby area", they could have added a table and few chairs.

The "glam" light fixtures were all tacky and really didn't go with the "period look" that I thought they were going for.  The ceilings were low and then to add the beams made the entire downstairs look much smaller. darker and more closed in.  I hope they don't have any friends that are above average in height because they will be bumping their heads.

The powder room was awful!  That itty bitty sink looked horrible!  They could have installed a standard pedestal sink and it would have looked so much better! 

I didn't like the living room furniture/setup.  The TV was mounted on the wall, but the couch was placed where you couldn't really see it.  They should have went with an oversized sectional - there was definitely room for one!

They spent $70k on the first floor and the bedroom, but couldn't spare an extra $500-$1000 to build a closet in the master??  They set aside $30k for phase 2...what was phase 2 going to involve?

If the wife said "AMAZING" one more time... the town of Charlestown is amazing!  The white tile backsplash is amazing, etc.  UGH!!!!

I forgot about the master bedroom and the hanging racks. It looked temporary but you think they could have gotten a simple closet built while waiting for the backorders in the kitchen.

14 hours ago, illini1959 said:

I can't believe it's making any sort of comeback; antique brass is fairly inoffensive, but shiny brass is so fucking ugly to me, and one of the few things I'd join a HH in sneering "it's so dated" about.  And I really don't care for mixing brass/bronze and chrome/satin nickel.  I'm all about not making things matchy-matchy, but I do want things to coordinate, and I don't think gold/brown and silver do.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, juliet73 said:

I had the same thought about the low ceilings and beams. They were both short (she said she was 4'11" and he wasn't that much taller) so they didn't have to worry about ceiling height, but to me (almost 5'9") it looked like the ceiling was closing in and made the room feel very dark.

I kept thinking about how much makeup she was wearing. I love makeup and i I were going on TV I'd certainly be camera-ready, but I'd go for a more natural look.

Re W Hollywood--I believe, couple seemed like a nice coupe. Her vocal fry could be grating

I did not like the pantry cabinets in the  DR - that and the built-in on opposite made it way too narrow. IMO,  eliminating  the window was a mistake, even after removing the shutters the room was still dark.

Thought pass-thru peninsula  was a bit of a miss

Also, they really should have spent the extra $$ to run the kitchen tile all the way up the wall

Lucky neighbors getting to look at a parked trailer  24/7in their driveway.

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

Thought pass-thru peninsula  was a bit of a miss

It turned out better than I thought it would but i still didn't like it and the hood would annoy me when I was talking to people even though it was partially clear. 

If I were them I would have just waited until I had the money to really change the footprint of the kitchen and dining room. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, twinks said:

I wouldn't like to pass through over a cook top. Overall, considering the amount of money spent, it didn't turn out so great. It was an "amazing" party house though.

4 hours ago, Peanutbuttercup said:

The "pass through" was bizarre. The opening was positioned so that you had to reach right over the stove to use the pass through. It seems like that would be awkward at best, dangerous at worst. I did love the kitchen floor!

My immediate thought when I saw that pass-through right above the stove was how soon until one of them burns themselves. Even if they don't touch any of the pots and pans directly, the hot steam and/or oil will definitely get them.

• Love 3

West Hollywood. Cute house on the outside, I like cottage-y looking houses. The inside was a disaster, though.

Agree with the pass through being odd and potentially unsafe. I thought with the hood right there it would be hard to see through to the other side.

And we have the happy return of brass fixtures. :/

• Love 2

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the pass-thru peninsula was weird. At first, I thought the peninsula was going to be in the kitchen from that window. Then I realized their stove was staying. Then I thought it was an okay idea until I saw it. I would have left the window but ditch the peninsula. I didn't like the pantry in the dinning room either. When they showed the drawings I thought it was more in the kitchen. Also, I didn't like the moroccan tile in the kitchen. It was such a small space and it ruin the flow of the floors on each end of the kitchen. Overall, the renovation was a big MISS.

• Love 2

W Hollywood:  I think the wife was auditioning for a toothpaste commercial throughout the entire episode.  What was so important about her trailer?  Talk about an eyesore for the rest of the neighborhood!  I can't believe these people thought they could do entire house reno for $35K!  Of course they went over by $20k!  Although, I wonder where they spent all their money?!  They didn't replace the paneling or move/remove entire walls.  They didn't remodel any baths or bedrooms - just removed the wall paper and carpet from the master.  No resurfacing of the fireplace and the kitchen layout remained the same.  It looked like the living room, dining room and kitchen were the only rooms that were worked on. 

Another kitchen with brass hardware and light fixtures! UGH!  The tile floor was awful!  It was way too busy for such a small space and it looked like linoleum.  Plus, it totally clashed against the wood floor.  I didn't understand why they chose a different backsplash for each wall.  The pass though over the stove was a complete fail!  Either move the stove over or move the pass through over.  They should have went with a stove/oven combo instead; they would have had much more counter space.  Removing cabinets for open shelving and the pass through was a poor decision too.  They now have a lot less storage in the kitchen than before.

This one is in my top 5 worse renovations ever.

Edited by juliet73
  • Love 5
28 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

W Hollywood:   The tile floor was awful!  It was way too busy for such a small space and it looked like linoleum.

Agree! I'm so tired of that god-awful style of tile and you nailed it that it looks line linoleum.

Parking the trailer in the driveway won't last long if there is a homeowner's association. He he.

• Love 1

Parking the trailer in the driveway won't last long if there is a homeowner's association. He he.

This is why I hate front loading garages.  I don’t want to see your trailer, boat, rv ... If the garage is back or tuck under I don’t see it.  If the garage is front by side loading then you can block you living room view with your vile trailer.

This is why I hate front loading garages.  I don’t want to see your trailer, boat, rv ... If the garage is back or tuck under I don’t see it.  If the garage is front by side loading then you can block you living room view with your vile trailer.

I missed her occupation - what was the trailer for, on-site work?

In my very working-class neighborhood, with house values much lower than West Hollywood, there is a time limit on how long trailers, rvs, etc. can be parked in your driveway.   She probably thinks hers is quirky and therefore not objectionable.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I missed her occupation - what was the trailer for, on-site work?

In my very working-class neighborhood, with house values much lower than West Hollywood, there is a time limit on how long trailers, rvs, etc. can be parked in your driveway.   She probably thinks hers is quirky and therefore not objectionable.

I believe she said she's a photographer. I didn't get the need for a trailer.

Our HOA also restricts what can be parked in a driveway and if a trailer/RV is parked in a back yard it must be in an area where it can't be seen from the street.

14 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

Agree! I'm so tired of that god-awful style of tile and you nailed it that it looks line linoleum.

I wouldn't have minded the tile if the rest of the kitchen had a similar color pattern (e.g. blue cabinets with some orange cookware as accents), but it really didn't work with the white cabinets and grey countertops/backsplash.

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:49 PM, chocolatine said:

The Charlestown couple's designer, who's also a friend of the wife, said that she doesn't normally oversee tile work, but she did in this case because she wanted it to be perfect for her friends. Does it mean she's OK with less than perfect tile work for clients who aren't her friends? It sounded unprofessional.

She patted the tile work with her two hands and no tile subcontractor in sight.  Expected her to proclaim, "I'm helping!", lol!  Looked like the sub had everything under control.

Did she mean to say, "I only oversee tile work when a camera crew is present".

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 4:45 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

So, how long is the trend for the natural wood accent piece or wall going to last? At times, I think it works, but, then when I consider having one in my house, I just can't seem to get on board.  I just think it will take me back to the paneling from the 70's eventually.  Plus, I like the color orange.  So between those two......I start hearing the song...".Here's a story, of a man named Brady...."  lol 

Ok, "on board"  ???  Pun unintended, lol?

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 5:36 PM, twinks said:

I also didn't understand how they went over budget $15k.  The studio was supposed to cost $30 and they didn't do it.
She also mentioned that since they couldn't build the studio it worked out because of the unplanned expenses.

Silver Lake adjacent / Glasell Park, 768 sq. foot bungalow:

I never heard anything confirming a  "budget" existed.  Can't be overbudget, by definition, if you don't have a budget!  I believe said "budget" was nothing but an HHR fantasy!

The dream studio was just that, i.e. a dream.  They would have known about the foundation issues, in advance.  (That floor was wonky.  No way the inspector missed that.)  BTW, the sellers had attempted to unload that dump in 2012.  (If anyone cares to check out the listing and photos, shoot me a PM.)  Somehow, I think the word was out about that place's problems, lol.

Is a client following a budget if/when the designer presents a plan using existing appliances and the h/o rejects it out of hand, demanding s/s?  Or upgrading the lowers?  How many h/o's on a strict budget score a wine fridge?  hahaha ...

Ok, so let's say they had a budget.  We'll go with it, lol.  That was a 10K change order and possibly 5K in appliances.  Ah, that's 15K!  Nope, nope, nope - still don't see it.  If they'd properly budgeted that job, the structural issues would have been estimated.  Or, at minimum, taken out of contingency.  Conclusion:  no budget.

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 2:49 PM, ByaNose said:

Yeah, brass still looks old & tacky to me. It’s all I noticed. I didn’t see the nice cabinets. I guess it’s different then the stainless pulls I have or the rubbed oil bronze that a lot of people have. In theory, there isn’t really that many choices, right?. Although, I think brass is still my least favorite. I’m also getting tired of the Moroccan backsplash, too. I think it’s more because it’s always used on HGTV. In general, it wouldn’t bother me if I walked into someone’s house. I know to keep my mouth shut. LOL!!!!!!!

Yep, shiny brass?  Yuch!

Am thinking these HGTV freebie designers missed that the trend was gold, not brass, and I think it's kinda' over!  It was never shiny brass, at least in my circles.

Tons of choices, if they shop at specialty suppliers instead of the big box stores, i.e. the HGTV advertisers.  Here's a few:

https://www.build.com/glass-crystal-cabinet-hardware/c117458

Don't know but throughout the episode I had the feeling those two were out of $$$.  The designer didn't do the l/r so they threw a couch and coffee table over there.  1K to eliminate the columns in the basement?  They really didn't do that, IRL?  Most h/o's would jump at that chance, if they planned to do their basement, eventually..

Yep - Moroccan backsplash?  Big box store.  Those cheap lights?  Ikea???

Anybody else think something from the Emtek line at build.com might have worked for her?  They probably got that shiny brass comped but it'd start at $2-3 vs. $14 for the Emtek.  Hmmm ...

Short cabinet pulls = short budget, lol!

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 0:56 PM, Peanutbuttercup said:

ugh, Silverlake-adjacent couple. The purchase just did not seem well thought-out, given their goals. It seemed like they were working with a tiny budget (for LA) and were just too damned precious to consider moving somewhere plebian like Reseda or Downey, so bought a miniature house with structural problems close to their desired hipster haven. I was trying to figure out where their house even was -- the voiceovers coyly refused to say other than "close to Silverlake," but I can't think of anywhere close to Silverlake where you can buy a detached home for just over $400K. East Hollywood maybe? Glassell Park? Even that doesn't seem likely.

I liked the floor, and I liked the woodgrain cabinets, but not together. They looked awful next to each other. Did not like the bathroom one bit either.

You called it, Peanutbuttercup!  Glassell Park!  Had the same thought - it's only "Silver Lake adjacent" if you remove / ignore the I5 freeway!

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 0:13 PM, chocolatine said:

Hated the Silver Lake episode. Not only were the HHs clueless about everything, but so was the designer. She kept making vague statements about how everything would look great, but the finishes in the kitchen and bathroom ended up looking like a bad DIY job. It was also a terrible idea to get rid of the bathtub - even if they can bathe the toddler in the shower, the lack of tub in the only bathroom will hurt them in the resale.

As for the structural issues, shouldn't that kind of thing come up during inspection? The slanted floors must have been noticeable before they started demo.

Perhaps this episode was intended as a lesson in what not to do when buying/renovating a house.

Jolene's been on before and isn't my favorite designer.  On this episode, perhaps it was tough working with their limited funds, champagne tastes and no budget!  (posted upthread about their so-called budget).

That woman seems like almost the first h/o who didn't demand a tub for her child.  And, you're right about resale.  They effectively reduced the homes b/r total to 3/4, automatically eliminating all the small families who might shell out for that dump b/c of the location but don't even look at it b/c of the b/r situation.  

Anyone think those 2 will stay in that place more than 3 years?  5?  Maybe but just b/c of inertia.  768 sf?  There's a resale in their future!

Agree, those floors were obvious.

Good idea but HGTV isn't in the business of teaching lessons in austerity -  or anything, for that matter.  Their advertisers prefer the opposite, lol!

• Love 1

Wow that woman last night was a loony toon. She thinks a door is going to stop spiders from going from one room to another? And she wants a "barn" door as well as the apparently spider-proof regular door, so her solution is to keep the regular door (to prevent spiders from marching around her home) and then put the "barn" door over it, just for aesthetics?

And what was up with calling that house colonial? I know HGTV plays fast and loose with architectural styles but that was the least colonial-looking "colonial" house I've seen on HGTV.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Peanutbuttercup said:

And she wants a "barn" door as well as the apparently spider-proof regular door, so her solution is to keep the regular door (to prevent spiders from marching around her home) and then put the "barn" door over it, just for aesthetics?

That barn door on top of the regular door was beyond stupid. I thought people used barn doors when there isn't enough clearance for a regular door  (in which case I'd prefer a pocket door because it doesn't take up any wall space), but in this case there was already a perfectly functional regular door. As tight as their budget was, you'd think they would stick to just the essential updates.

I did like the husband joking about finding perfect hardwood floors underneath the old carpet, and I give them props for not choosing brass fixtures.

• Love 2

I really didn’t mind the banter with the husband/wife.  They seemed pretty good and making decisions as a couple.  And the end result made both of them happy.

I so agree that the barn door was a toss in.  Just seemed no reason for it.  But the kitchen itself was very nice.  And no cement tile on the floor!  Way to go.

I will bet my next paycheck that someone in the family has asthma.  He took that wood stove out the second they walked in the house.  So yes a child with breathing difficulties really does make one more firm about airborn particles.  Now the radon could be because of the area they live in.  There are radon issues in my area and pretty stiff regulations about testing and disclosure when selling a house.  I personally didn’t care that she was obsessive about it and obviously neither was he.  And surprise, I had no idea there was a lead blocking paint.  Who knew?

Now finally someone said it.  Quartz is more expensive than granite.  So all you granite/stainless people actually have cheap counter tops.  

• Love 3

Re; Swamp_______________ couple

With all her fears I'm surprised she could get out of bed everyday,

Gawd, leaving that exterior brick as-is was a mistake with their paint color combo

It was nice to see a couple featured that didn't have a super large$$  budget and the results  came out quite well

• Love 2

The Swamp-something couple... the kitchen had perfectly nice looking cabinets and they had a tiny budget, so WHY tear them out? Unless they are particle board junk or built in place, cabinets can be painted and relocated, people. It seems that no one realizes that.  And why spend all that time and money covering beams that the husband obviously liked? And covering an existing door to the basement with a barn door? Those two had even less sense than money. Don't get me started on an all dirt back yard! No wonder the wife wanted a mud room. Their back yard will be total mud when it rains or winter snows melt.

• Love 3
On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 6:50 PM, juliet73 said:

So Cal with 5 kids:  First, their budget is $700k - he's an electrician and she's a bridal make up artist.  They have 5 kids - 2 in college, 2 about to go to college and a toddler.  Did I mention they have $700k to spend?  They wanted a bigger house for their big family.  I get that, but why now? In a year or two, there will be 3 people living there vs 7.  

I thought the kitchen was okay.  I didn't like the two different backsplashes and I thought the sink and stovetop were too big - they looked very "clunky".  The breakfast bar/table was ugly.  I would have kept the den, a den because the small front room was their only living space.  And that room just had a couch and a TV so I'm curious where all seven of them "hangout as a family."  The former dining room looked like unused space - just a small desk and a chair.  I would have kept it a dining room especially since their dining table and chairs were normal sized and they looked dumb in front of the fireplace.  The master bath came out lovely.  I guess the kitchen, master bath and the fireplace were the only major projects.  They still went $10k over budget because according to the wife, she has expensive taste in light fixtures.  Uh, okay.  They all looked like average lights you could get at Home Depot, but whatever.

Site ate my post about the designs previously but here's the after photos, posted by the designer:

https://natashajanszdesign.com/agoura-hills/

She earned all of her $0.00 fee!  Sorry but it's a travesty - ruining that dining room!  She pushed the kit out 2' to accommodate the 36" stove & frig, rendering that room useless in the process.  Def agree, juliet73 about the den, although it's not a den by RE definition.  (Calling it the family room or "f/r".)  I'd flip those rooms back to the use intended by the builder, i.e. desk to d/r and den to f/r.  Unless someone's a serious cook, they don't need the larger stove.  And, they'll prefer to have their son in the f/r as they work in the kitchen.

The m-bath was nice but it had been done by the seller.  Instead of using the $$$ there, I'd suggest a minor reno and shift everything to the first floor, their main, limited living area.  For the bathroom, to eliminate the Tuscan feel, they could have the tile professionally spray-painted.  On the walls, instead of painting, why not cover the tile with moisture resistant bead board, finishing with a dark band for the  chair rail.  Replace the puny vanity with a double sink vanity, using reclaimed wood or a vintage / repro long dresser.  Leave the tub area for the next phase of the reno.  That way, she'd get her farmhouse look to jive with the new kitchen.

Ok, use the b/r savings on the first floor.  To save space in the d/r, expanded by that 2', place a tall, high-backed tufted banquette plus a table to the right as they enter from the kit.  In place of the dated railing, build farmhouse style rails and/or use open shelving (in place of the railings) to enhance the feeling of space.  Behind the chalkboard wall, there's a coat closet with an enclosed stairway adjacent, towards the entryway / front door.  Open that up, if possible, just on the side facing the door.  Lose the chalkboard and consider replacing the coat closet with a pantry.  Or, open that space up, too, redesigning it, if possible.

An open stairway would make that small l/r and d/r feel much larger.  Next phase, consider expanding the powder room to a full b/r and add a doorway to the 1st floor bedroom, setting it up as a 2nd master.  Also consider enlarging that room.

Hate the grout-ey backsplash over the stove!  The frig s/b in the open shelving's spot to allow access from the f/r.  In the designer's spot, it'd interfere with the door way to the former d/r / office.  To set up the new d/r, stage two large chairs with a cocktail / small table between them, in front of the f/p.  On the back wall, place a desk (from the designer's former d/r) or work table for the kids.  That f/r's very small so that's about all it'd accommodate.  Consider removing the doorway to the 1st floor b/r that's currently in the f/r.

Finally, eliminate, well, how about all of those ridiculous tsotchkes the woman staged on that mantel.  Yuch!  And, hey, can someone powerwash the outdoor half-wall, before photographing it?  (Wow, no outdoor space shown on HHR, hahaha)  And, hey, someone omitted the shots of the former d/r now wasted space from her portfolio!

Agree, dump the clunker sink, add a peninsula - depending on if they can or wish to add a pantry - and reorganize the triangle, after moving the frig across the room.  Uh, yeah, feel strongly that the frig s/b moved and the triangle / kitchen's function will be significantly improved.

Oops, didn't mean to go on but that design choice - eliminating that d/r - was the worst!

P.S.  Hope some of that makes sense!  Glad I can type fast, lol.

One thing, the biggest problem with this home, besides the freeway (previous post), if that they didn't build on a level lot.  Remember how they pointed out the unusable, terraced yard when they toured it?  That small l/r or front room and d/r is also terraced!  Awful, awful ...

To me, this was a home to run away from, lol ... 

Edited by aguabella

Re Northridge couple - I kept thing Diko & Peggy on a budget.

People who watch Real Housewives of OC will  like that

Where was their  big Armenian families coming to help them out?.

Curious, kitchen wiring didn't meet code  and they went from sheathed to armored cable, not like with like - did it have something to do with the earthquake a couple of decades back?

Sad, I think the results overall look came  out as looking a bit builder  generic - not bad, just bland/vanilla

• Love 1
4 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

Sad, I think the results overall look came  out as looking a bit builder  generic - not bad, just bland/vanilla

They've all been looking like that, lately.  I'm not saying we need to bring the 70's back, but the kitchens and baths in these reno shows have become so neutral that they lack personality.  The choice is often between white subway tile or darker white subway tile.  Oooh, let's go crazy and install the white subway tile in a herringbone pattern!  Or now, white arabesque or whatever that shape is that went into this kitchen. 

Kitchens and baths that look like the color has been drained out of them leave me feeling cold.  I hope home designers get together for their annual conference and decided to move on from white and super white.

• Love 3

I hope they had the popcorn ceilings tested for asbestos before scraping it off into their faces wearing those little paper masks. They may have mentioned it and I missed it -- this has turned into more of a background show for me since all the houses end up looking alike.

• Love 3

I know it's a mean thing to say, but neither of the Northridge couple seemed very intelligent. The husband kept complaining how everything looks so much easier on TV, and the wife was reciting buzzwords like "shiplap" and "farmhouse" with a blank face. And don't get me started on painting rooms blue and pink before she's even pregnant. 

• Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:46 AM, sheetmoss said:

Charlestown couple were pleasant enough

Also, did they only  have exterior access to basement?

Yep, I considered a banquette for that space, too.  Rewound the reveal and checked the clearance around that island so don't think it's doable.

Touring homes, I take clues from the way previous residents used the space.  (They've usually learned the best / most efficient way(s) to utilize the spaces.)  Before, the d/r light hung at the end of the kitchen, adjacent to the small living area.  I'd skip that stupid pull-out from the island (hate those) and use a pop-up coffee table for 6-8 people, placing it at the end of the kitchen, perpendicular.

I wouldn't select mission style for them (obviously) but here's the idea:

https://www.hayneedle.com/product/missionlifttopcoffeetable.cfm

With so many styles available, they s/b able to find a nice coffee table and stain it to coordinate with their kitchen.  The pull-out can be used, if necessary (yuch!), for casual dining or overflow.  At Thanksgiving, add a couple of card tables towards that entryway with nice tablecloths!

Basement access?  Yes, they implied exterior only but surely everyone noticed that the home had interior basement stairs.  The designer bee-bopped in to join them from the exterior door during one scene but during another the guys were replacing the stair treads.  More faux HGTV drama, lol!  

Edited by aguabella
On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:20 PM, juliet73 said:

Good points on Charlestown, juliet73!

Yes, agree about the d/r.  (Posted about that upthread, if you're interested.)

Brass in its current form, i.e. not shiny, is over in my understanding.  Someone needs to explain that to HGTV!  Well, as soon as it disappears from the big box realtors ...

Am sure I've seen those exact lights at Ikea and they may have been plastic!  Yuch!

Interesting to hear comments about their height.  Noticed they had several men in the closing scene.  Didn't appear that anyone needed to duck so it looked o.k.  Also, during earlier scenes, the designer and h/w were shorter than the fridge.  I've toured many older homes in that area.  Lower ceilings could be a status symbol, i.e. meaning the home's vintage!

Some people might call that a "contractor's" sink, lol.  Agree, they had sufficient space for a pedestal or small vanity, including storage. 

I assumed the TV had a swing arm so no problem with that placement.  Personally, I wouldn't do a sectional.  Didn't see sufficient space and it would block the entryway, giving visitors a negative first impression.

The timing of their phases appeared suspect - could be fictional.  This is HGTV, folks!  Anyone notice when she met with the designer about that other bathroom?  The one they delayed?  In the background, behind them, the 2nd floor living area was completely staged!  Then we have the whole routine about the basement stairs.  She was probably using a closet in the other b/r!  Very easy to place those racks in that room for dramatic effect, lol!

Wouldn't surprise me if they'd done the entire home but fudged the timing.  Anyone else catch the closing price / budget routine?  They said the home was high 900's but they only paid high 8's with no explanation, whatsoever.  Does that mean they had 200K instead of 100K for the project?  Can't mess up HHR's budget plot by suddenly discovering another 100K, lol!

My conclusion:  ???

Edited by aguabella
On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:31 PM, ByaNose said:

I forgot about the master bedroom and the hanging racks. It looked temporary but you think they could have gotten a simple closet built while waiting for the backorders in the kitchen.

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:32 PM, biakbiak said:

Phase 2 was going to involve the master, I could see not bothering with a closer of its just going to be a few months.

???  Agree, why didn't they simply build a closet, if the kit was on hold.  But ... would it only be a few months?  If they needed 30K?

The hanging racks provided a dramatic backdrop for that shot.  Why not turn the other b/r into her closet?  (Can't remember how they intended to use it.)  Or, use the existing closet(s) in that b/r and elsewhere?

As mentioned previously, timing for this episode appeared off.  When they filmed the scene in the upstairs bathroom, the living space behind it was complete.  Don't believe they filmed it / showed us, though.  (It'd ruin the budget plot line.)

But, most of all, would that chick be happy with a simple $500 - $1000 closet ???

And, the episode seemed thin, i.e. desperate for nuggets of manufactured drama.  The extra bathroom, basement stairs / door, blah, blah, blah.  So, idk ??? 

21 minutes ago, aguabella said:

Agree, why didn't they simply build a closet, if the kit was on hold.  But ... would it only be a few months?  If they needed 30K?

They spent 30k less than their initial budget and said they would be starting phase two shortly.

56 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

They spent 30k less than their initial budget and said they would be starting phase two shortly.

Thanks, biakbiak.  I heard that, too.  In another post, I mentioned that they never explained the 100K difference between their "budget" and the listing price v. purchase price.  Obviously, we weren't given the appraisal, haha, and that doesn't mean they picked up $100K in reno $$$ but I was naturally curious ...

For me, the visuals, i.e. the completed rooms that weren't shown on camera are more powerful than the semi-scripted lines.  So, I tend to believe the former.  And, or the real life facts, e.g. the listing price v. closed price.

That was my point about timing; meaning, they could have filmed the hanging racks  and the infamous bathroom scene (with staged room behind it but never aired) at any time and they're dramatic visuals, lol!  Also, as mentioned previously, they appeared short on funds.

We'll never know the true story.  It's another mystery of the HHR cosmos!

Sorry if my post wasn't clear.  Late here ...

Edited by aguabella

Watched the Denver engaged couple last night. Of course they bought the most expensive house, and of course they went way over budget, but I really liked the kitchen. The wood on the ceiling was really cool, and I loved the blue cabinets.