Type keyword(s) to search

House Hunters Renovation - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I was wondering how years of getting wet was going to affect that butcher block surrounding their island sink? Isn't it going to start turning black?

I'm not an expert, but I think they'd probably have to keep sealing it (esp. around the sink). If they don't, they could also risk some separation in the wood.

• Love 1

My parents designed their house with an all butcher block countertop in the kitchenbefore I was born and though they no longer own it, we recently were visiting friends who lived next door and went to a party there, the countertops looked exactly the same 40 years later. I inherited my grandmother's butcher block standalone and it's 60 plus years and isn't black. You can clean it with vinegar and wipe it dry and then occasionally do mineral oil.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4

Another couple who went over their renovation budget.  I agree with previous posters that I would have put the sink under the kitchen window and left the island without anything on it.  I have a long narrow island in my kitchen and it's handy for serving buffet style, baking, etc.  If it had a sink in it, it's utility for me would be greatly diminished. I didn't have much sympathy for the usual "or where are we going to find the money" whining when in the reveal there was a huge, shiny stainless steel gas range that must have cost probably $6,000 or more, along with the latest style of French door refrigerator that also isn't cheap.  I did like the screen porch, but after having the house reno delayed by rain at least twice, I would think they would have given some thought to a small porch or covered entrance for their front door.  The water is going to pour down on visitors there.  I thought it looked a bit unfinished w/o a cover or at least a pretty awning.  And yes, DownTheShore, I thought the exact same thing about the guest house and that they could move in there for a couple of weeks until the kitchen and bath was finished.  They could have put their furniture in other rooms of the house that weren't being renovated.  I couldn't tell what the building was next door to their house, but it looked like a commercial building.  Did anyone else notice?  I'm not familiar enough with Austin to know where the house is located.        

• Love 2

I didn't like the green cabinets. It's just way too much green for me. I agree with the suggestion of a green island & white cabinets. I'm not crazy about the butcher block & the dark countertop. Too many different ideas going on. It looks like it was in differnt stages rather than all at once. The master bath was nice enough. The porch seemed very retro to me and something you'd find in the Poconos. The whole renovation isn't necessarily ugly but it all feels so disjointed.

She also stated that she could use the island to cut and slice on.  That island is going to need to be sanded and treated on a regular basis.  I guess butcher block is ok on counters if you really stay on top of the maintenance and use common sense.

Another vote for having nothing on the kitchen island.  They quickly become where all the groceries are dropped, etc. and you appreciate having all the open, unencumbered space.

• Love 2

WRT the Chicago townhouse episode (Sorry for the delay):

For me, it was another highly unlikely, say no way in real life, budget crisis.  Yep, that's right!  The HVAC ($8,500) issue?  That would have been discovered, no question, during the pre-sale inspection.  Alternatively, even better, it should have been simply disclosed and taken care of in advance by the sellers.

Why?  According to the guy's description (sounded true, BTW), the heat wasn't drawing at all in the lower zone.  One of the main functions of the inspector is systems operation.  Specifically, they turn everything on, e.g. all faucet taps, heat, a/c, appliances, ...  If they had no heat on that first level, it would have been discovered.

The buyers should have either received appropriate credit in the escrow or it may have been repaired by the sellers.  (We don't know the timing of its correction, for certain.)  If it was discovered after close, some realtors have submitted these types of issues under a home warranty.  I disagree with that practice but have seen it happen, successfully.

In any event, the sellers (plus the realtor, in certain states) would have been in major hot water, if they'd failed to disclose such a major defect.  No excuses.  (Incidentally, it's my understanding that IL does require disclosure in as-is sales, BTW.)  Turning to the other small budget issues ($1,100, IIRC), those should have been covered by their contingency.  So, no actual budget issue existed.

One other point about these faux budget dramas - if these people haven't scheduled their budget line items out, hopefully working with either a professional project manager or their HGTV-provided designer, including a reasonable contingency (at least 10%, typically), they don't have a budget.  Initiating a construction project w/o planning is a plan for disaster!  But, hey, no budget, no budget drama!

Ok, let's talk vanities.  That woman did have a fair amount of make-up on.  Surprises me b/c I've never met a woman who really wanted or needed a vanity.  They don't have the time to sit down at a vanity in the morning.  And, most women want natural light so I didn't follow the desire to yank out the skylight, either.  (I get the shadows issue but wasn't sure she'd have that problem.)  With no kids and a flexible work schedule, she may be the exception.

To me, vanities look a little dated, kinda' 90's and/or like a gc / developer trick to install less cabinetry.  Personally, I would have extended their double sink area.  A longer sink area would make the entire space feel larger, instead of breaking up that line of cabinetry with a vanity area.

The $3,500 cabinet?  Agree with everyone - ridiculous!  That unit was so simple that they could have purchased something ready made or had a carpenter make it very inexpensively.  Plus, it was being nestled into the wall so technically, it didn't even need to be completely stained.  They could have either trimmed out or stained the edges and then finished the interior, to the extent they needed / wanted to.

So glad the HHR team had the proper zoom camera to capture the minute crack!  They demanded another cabinet for that?  It would be covered by their medicine cabinet frame nearly 100% of the time!  I wouldn't even be able to call the place and demand a replacement cuz I'd crack up, trying to trump up that case!

My suggestion for the cabinet:  since their designer was apparently involved and it was one of her contacts, she could call and whine and most likely score about a 10% credit ($350).  Then, simply buy a $5-6 pen kit and use the appropriate marker after filling it with a miniscule amount of wood putty.  Done.  

The barn door frame?  Yep, it's trendy.  They're ready available in smaller sizes, e.g. for TV's, so they could easily purchase a kit.  Or, buy a rod of your choice plus a pulley system, spray it in your desired metal finish and install.  It's very simple.  If they were charged much for that, they should have complained.

Oh, this designer exhibited one of my pet peeves not previously mentioned.  She was constantly around, loitering to appear on camera.  A designer doing demo on your walk-in closet?  Uh, no - just no.  The other, best example of this was the LA designer for the tall couple.  Remember her?  She was having drinks with the family during the closing scene!  Hey, sweetheart, we know you're an actress turned designer, living in LA, but we don't need you in every scene! 

ETA - yes, agree about the floor.  They could have simply refinished it but received the Lumber Liquidators deal.  The wider planks did look better.  Not bad for the cost of the add'l tax bill.

And, it was smart of them to add the powder room.  Overall, the master bath was nice.  Even more importantly, I definitely agreed with adjusting the layout, enlarging the bathroom (they had wall closets available) and moving the entrance.  That change gave the master more presence and highlighted the en suite.  Good job, there.

Edited by aguabella
  • Love 1

I couldn't figure out why there wasn't enough room for the two of them in his original condo in the first place; it looked big enough.

When he was boasting about how he hasn't shoveled snow or mowed a lawn since he was 13, and hasn't done any repairs either, I was thinking to myself, yup, another modern father who will be unable to pass on any practical life skills to his children.

I also didn't quite understand why she was so infatuated with him. I mean he was okay, but I didn't consider him all that and a bag of chips.

I definitely agree, DownTheShore; his condo looked terrific!  Nice amenities and low monthlies, IIRC!  (Perhaps they retained it as a rental.)  OTOH, I can also understand their desire to purchase a home together so it's definitely home to both of them.

Yes, for whatever reason, bad edit (?), the guy seemed like a 40 yo, set in his ways bachelor / jerk.  Did those two say anything about kids?  (I didn't hear that.)  Gee, she looked about 35 so they might want to get on it, if so.  Also, it should have prominently figured in their home search and subsequent remodel.

She had a little too much makeup, for my tastes but he didn't appear to even reach handful of chips status, let alone a bag!  (From the shallow end of the pool.)

Edited by aguabella

I belong to a club that has interest group meetings in member's homes, and I have been to homes that have huge kitchens with islands so huge that a sink or cooktop makes no difference in that the rest of the island is more than enough for prep and grocery dumping. But these are expensive homes.

Edited by chessiegal

Sorry, gang, forgot to mention one thing about the Chicago HVAC:

According to the gc's description of the issue, I'd consider this a construction defect.  (He indicated the ducting had been rerouted b/c of a linen closet but not properly connected.)  If this had been a new/er home and the problem wasn't disclosed, the buyers may have discovered it by reviewing the condo association's meeting minutes.  It's the type of thing where all the homeowners may have discovered the same defect the first winter after the units' initial sale and worked together, jointly requesting remediation from the builder.  Given the units' age, I suspect it was previous work done by the sellers and HHR recreated the issue for dramatic effect.

Wanted to add this b/c it's so important to review board meeting minutes if/when you purchase a condo/townhouse/coop or any other type of shared or pud (planned unit development) housing.

I agree with the others before me who thought the green in the Austin kitchen was too much. I am a big fan of color in kitchens but that was kind of overwhelming. I think it was partially because the whole room was painted lemon yellow -- I felt like I had wandered into a primary grade classroom by mistake.

I will say on a completely trivial and shallow note, I want to know where Erin does her clothes shopping. She had a lot of really gorgeous pieces.

Tonight's couple in Chicago drove me mad! Of course they went like $17k over budget. He was a complete tool! And she seemed way too excited to be with him. While they were touring the home, he said he would have to rip out the existing wood floors because they were installed on a diagonal?! In the end, he said they ripped them out because they didn't like the oak color because it dated the house. So wouldn't it have been so much cheaper to have them sanded and stained a darker color? Doing that would have saved them thousands! Then I saw that they spent $750 on bathroom ACCESSORIES!! I don't know what kind of towels and toothbrush holder they bought, but good grief!! They could have easily saved $500 there. I want to be on this show just to prove I could stick to my budget. If something unexpected came up, I would have to compromise, delay, or just not do something else so I could stick to my budget.

juliet73, when can we see you on the show?  Have you checked to see if/when they'll be casting in your area?  Go for it!

Question for you ... if you plan to stay on budget, what will you do when they begin filming and inform you that budget overages were selected as the plot for your episode?  Will you go along with the faux scenes in exchange for the free designer, free flooring and other benefits?  (Well, that's free after paying the taxes, lol!)

If you made it through my long (sorry!) posts, then you know I didn't believe either the Austin farmhouse family or the Chicago townhouse couple were over budget in real life.  What did you think?  Have another explanation for the hidden, unexplained, added kitchen door in the farmhouse?

Let us know, if you apply / are accepted plus the estimated air date!

juliet73, when can we see you on the show? Have you checked to see if/when they'll be casting in your area? Go for it!

Question for you ... if you plan to stay on budget, what will you do when they begin filming and inform you that budget overages were selected as the plot for your episode? Will you go along with the faux scenes in exchange for the free designer, free flooring and other benefits? (Well, that's free after paying the taxes, lol!)

If you made it through my long (sorry!) posts, then you know I didn't believe either the Austin farmhouse family or the Chicago townhouse couple were over budget in real life. What did you think? Have another explanation for the hidden, unexplained, added kitchen door in the farmhouse?

Let us know, if you apply / are accepted plus the estimated air date!

Unfortunately, I couldn't be on the show for a few reasons. 1.I don't live near Los Angles or Austin (the current filming locations). 2.I don't like/want an open concept design. 3.The producers and I would not be in agreement about the "script". I don't entertain. Ever. So, I wouldn't say that. I don't care about the style of the house. So, I wouldn't complain about that. I don't do drama, let alone fake drama. 4.I don't want a designer, I would want to design it myself. 5.I'm not willing to spend a ridiculous amount of money for a cabinet, island, sink, a bowl to display my lemons and limes, etc when it's totally not necessary. 6.My friends wouldn't be able to come over and see the "after" because I don't entertain. Ever. :) Edited by juliet73
  • Love 2
On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 7:10 PM, juliet73 said:

Unfortunately, I couldn't be on the show for a few reasons. 1.I don't live near Los Angles or Austin (the current filming locations). 2.I don't like/want an open concept design. 3.The producers and I would not be in agreement about the "script". I don't entertain. Ever. So, I wouldn't say that. I don't care about the style of the house. So, I wouldn't complain about that. I don't do drama, let alone fake drama. 4.I don't want a designer, I would want to design it myself. 5.I'm not willing to spend a ridiculous amount of money for a cabinet, island, sink, a bowl to display my lemons and limes, etc when it's totally not necessary. 6.My friends wouldn't be able to come over and see the "after" because I don't entertain. Ever. :)

The HHR post-production period exceeds 6 months so they're probably finished in Chicago, LA and Austin.  (The website casting advert typically runs a little behind.)  Usually, participants need to plan at least a year in advance, if they're serious about appearing on the show.

Hey, if you have time, it could be fun to pitch an alternative plot to them, e.g. stretching your budget $$$.  Not everyone desires open concept and entertains!  Obviously, the key is upfront communication and for you, obtaining their written agreement on the various plot points in advance. 

The chicago fitness trainers... oy.  ripping out those beautiful floors was criminal. on a shallower note, her makeup obsession was annoying as was his refusal to consider any outdoor maintenance. spend hundreds of dollars a year on gym memberships but turn down a perfectly good free snow shoveling workout.  I was doing a lot of eye rolling.

• Love 2

I watched a rerun today with the woman in Massachusetts who decided to be the project manager.  I have to say I got a good laugh out of her controlling nature.  It took over 6 months to do the renovation, it ended up costing almost $200,000 (budget was $130,000) and....it wasn't done at the end of the show anyway.  She just made me shake my head.  She had no idea what the hell she was doing.  Her husband was so nonchalant about it saying..."whatever she wants, she gets".

Oddly enough, I don't mind dinning rooms but I hate banquets. I was never traumatized sitting in one but I can't  get comfortable in/on them. I guess I wouldn't mind it in a kitchen but in a dinning room I don't like the look. The rest of the house turned out nice and the basement looked awesome. How great is that they had both fathers helping them. They are very lucky and blessed to have them. 

• Love 3

ByaNose, I don't like banquettes either.  I'm short and they just don't fit me, or I don't fit them.  I also don't like eating at them in restaurants either because it always feels I am sharing the table with the people next to mine.  I think it's because restaurants usually put the tables too close to each other for my taste.  One of the fathers said that he didn't think the "kids" had any idea how much money he and the other father were saving them, and he was probably correct.  The house that the wife's parents lived in looked very nice and upscale and she was probably used to a very nice house.  There is no way they would have ever been able to do all of the renovations they did on that budget w/o free help from the dads. 

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, laredhead said:

ByaNose, I don't like banquettes either.   I also don't like eating at them in restaurants either because it always feels I am sharing the table with the people next to mine.  I think it's because restaurants usually put the tables too close to each other for my taste.  

I don't like them in restaurants either.  I would rather wait for another table than to be seated in a banquette. I feel like I'm dining WITH strangers instead of next to them.  I like them in a house though IF it is an L shaped eating area.  In this formal dining room, it just didn't work for me.  

I was super excited to watch this episode because I grew up in Elmhurst and go back often for family visits/events.  However, I was disappointed that they only showed the one house in Elmhurst.  They really couldn't find any other homes to show in Elmhurst or the surrounding towns?  When the couple said they were attorneys and were mentioning everything on their wishlist, including living in Elmhurst, I assumed they were going to have a much higher budget.  I chuckled when they said their max was $380k including renovations.  And the house they chose was $345k??  Seriously?  I know it's an affluent area, but still, I have seen some houses online (and in person) that were much more updated and under $300k in the area.  I wish they would say what the properties taxes are on this show.  They always mentioned HOA fees if applicable, but never taxes.

I liked the painted ceiling in the kitchen and I liked the countertops.  The kitchen was small and I know the designer had limited space, but it would drive me mad if all my prep work had to be done on the island because the counter space next to the stove and sink was so minimal.   The bathrooms came out great - those dads did great work and saved them sooooo much money!  I'm glad one of the dads acknowledged that.  As much as I love Home Goods (and I know it was a plug), I find it difficult to believe that they found EVERYTHING she needed/wanted for the dining room in that store.  

The wife drove me crazy!  She constantly repeated everything someone else said immediately after they said it.  I wouldn't want to pay her attorney fee...it would cost me twice as much because of the time she would spend repeating! She didn't care if her husband got what he wanted, etc.  Plus, she seemed very immature.  The husband didn't bother me; I felt more sorry for him than anything.  

I don't understand how they still went $10k over budget considering 90% of the labor was free from their dads?!

• Love 2

Juliet73, I am in the process of getting bids to remodel my kitchen which will be a gut job, but I'm not trying to do anything extravagant or upscale, and the cheapest bid so far is $40,000.  I'm not going to have granite counters or a professional range and I'm not moving any plumbing except to install a gas line for a new range.  Labor costs are high and unfortunately I don't have a friend or family who can help out like the renovators last night. 

I was glad to see they kept the decorative mid-century shelf at the entrance to the house.  I was also pleased that the husband pitched in and did some of the renovation work and seemed to know what he was doing for the most part.  I laughed at his dad saying he had considered the "lawyer factor" when ordering sheetrock.  I know that not everyone is handy, but I get tired of some of these home buyers not only admitting they don't know how to do anything, but almost seeming like it's a badge of honor for them not to be able to do any DIY.

On May 1, 2016 at 6:20 PM, sheetmoss said:

RE: Elmhurst couple

Isn't if odd to sheetrock over  basement paneling?

It's funny I have a basement with paneling and wanted it to be drywalled. It never occurred to me that you wouldn't take down the paneling to do so. I'll have to ask my contractor duty about that this week. It has me curious if it's needs to be taken down or not.

(edited)

The logical thing to do is to take any paneling down and affix the drywall directly to the studs.  But I had a room where removing the paneling would have created a couple of problems because of built-in shelves and the way the panels connected to the wainscotting, so in that one instance I just went right over it.  It's fine, but you wind up with sheet rock pretty much right at the same depth as your door molding (at least with my paneling, which was old, actual 3/4" pine; flimsier modern stuff will give you a little more clearance), instead of having the nice gap between wall and frame you're used to.  Small price to pay in my situation, but under normal circumstances you'd remove the paneling.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

One of my concerns--maybe misguided,  about sheetrocking  over the paneling in a basement would be the possible potential moisture/mold  issues of having it sandwiched in between the sheetrock and foundation wall.

• Love 1

Texas Transplants in California from last night -- I was underwhelmed with the renovation. They made odd choices with their budget: spend your last dollars on a cosmetic item like removing popcorn ceilings and skim coating them, then when you find your pipes are leaching lead into your water (that your children drink and bathe in), you have to call in your plumber stepfather and ask him to replace your pipes for free? Rude and entitled.

Also, they kept saying weird things like "we have to renovate the whole roof" (when they were, obviously, replacing it, I'm not sure you even can "renovate" a roof)  and "this place needs a complete rehaul"  (wtf is a rehaul?). I'm trying to chalk it up to just being nervous about being on tv and stumbling over their words, rather than being a couple of illiterates or drunks.

PS I noticed their family crest was boring and generic, it didn't even include their son's requested vampires. Having something a little odd and really representative of them would have been kind of cool. As it was, it looked like something that a high school art class did on spec to nail up to the extracurricular building.

Last night's renovation featured the same kitchen reno involving white subway tile, white quartz countertops (no granite for a change), and that current popular banquette corner seating.  Do 90% of the people on this show have no imagination?  I am about to embark on a kitchen renovation and the number of choices available for floor, cabinets and counters is amazing.  I guarantee my choices will not be white subway tile or shaker style cabinets.  I've already eliminated one contractor because he gave me push back on my choice of slab front cabinet doors.  One of the first things I would have done in that California house was demolish those pool changing cubicles.  They were ugly and no amount of homemade crafting was going to improve them.  They looked like an after thought and didn't improve the looks of the house or the backyard. 

They did improve the functionality of the master bath by enlarging the shower and it looked nice.  I can't remember if the main bathroom was totally redone, but I think the final reveal showed the original two sinks which didn't look bad at all.  Going $20,000 over budget was significant.  I guess it depends on when you find out about problems and what you have already spent money on as to what can be eliminated late in the renovation to save money.  We are never privy to that info though.  Years ago, I embarked on changing out 4 floor to ceiling windows as part of a larger remodel, but when the old windows were removed it was revealed that the sill plate was totally rotten and more extensive work had to be done before the new windows were installed.  Back to the bank I went to add on to the HELOC.  Not fun.

• Love 2

I like subway tile, but for some reason, the kitchen tile looked like it belonged in the bathroom. I don't know if it was the size or it not being staggered.  I agree about the outside changing rooms. They looked pretty grody before and after.  I always fast forward through the construction/pretend drama. Was there a reason they couldn't scrape the ceilings themselves? Granted, it's time consuming and messy, but it's cheap and easy to do yourself. To save money, I would have scraped all the ceilings first before any of the reno started.  I understand why they called the stepfather in if he was a plumber. They probably trust him and he probably worked for free. Hiring someone would have cost a pretty penny.  I liked the master bathroom. It went with the style of the house and didn't look too overdone. I hate when people turn a small master bathroom into their "oasis" and it then becomes the biggest room in the house just so they can brush their teeth next to each other. The rest of the house wasn't memorable, especially for going $20k over. 

• Love 1

Juliet73, the popcorn ceiling contained asbestos, and to add insult to injury, whoever put it on the ceiling mixed it with the ceiling plaster and just didn't blow it on as a topcoat evidently from what I gathered.  It did require professionals in haz mat suits to remove it, and the removal left the ceiling surfaces in rough shape.

I don't dislike subway tile, but it seems like every designer recommends it along with Shaker style cabinets.  There are other materials that could be used.  There is a show on DIY network called "I Hate My Kitchen" which uses a lot of different things for backsplashes.  Granted, some of them I don't particularly like, but it's not the same thing over and over.   I totally agree with you about the master bath.

1 hour ago, laredhead said:

Juliet73, the popcorn ceiling contained asbestos, and to add insult to injury, whoever put it on the ceiling mixed it with the ceiling plaster and just didn't blow it on as a topcoat evidently from what I gathered.  It did require professionals in haz mat suits to remove it, and the removal left the ceiling surfaces in rough shape.

That makes sense. I probably should watch the episodes in their entirety so I don't have to ask questions that could be answered if I just watched. I just can't bring myself to watch the "drama". Last week had the same tile issue not laying properly. Why is there never black mold issues or termites, or our credit card got declined so we can't finish the house because we are so broke, etc?

• Love 2

I'm re-watching the couple who butchers the Buffalo house. It never gets old. Even when I know how the kitchen & bath are going to turn out, it's still a big reveal. That weird patterned kitchen floor! That reclaimed wood in the bathroom! Lord.

• Love 2

Just saw tonight's episode about the Chicago couple who added a 2nd story to an 1100 sf bungalow that also had a full basement.  If they finish the basement later, they will have 3300 sf of living area.  Wow!  Once again, the renovation went over budget and by about $15,000.  Of course, $3,200 of it was spent on a dining table that looked sturdy, but also looked like it could have been crafted as a school wood shop project.  I wasn't impressed, and would have foregone the purchase of that, and put that money toward finishing the front porch.

The wife was so emotional about their having spent so many years in a "transient" situation and renting for what seemed like forever.  Uh, they have only been married for 5 years.  That's not a long time to rent, IMO. 

Interesting that the original contractor left the project halfway through it.  Would love to know the story behind that and if they are still friends with him.  I also thought it was interesting that they explained how they were able to afford a $450,000 house using a construction loan.

From what they showed in the reveal, it looked like a nice renovation.    

• Love 4

The Chicago couple had an amazing renovation. The kitchen turned out really nice and I'm not even a fan of brass fixtures. I wasn't too crazy about the dinning room scattered lights. They looked too low hanging over the table. The reclaimed wood table looked nice but I didn't think it was worth spending $3,200. Overall, the house turned out beautiful and they gained a lot of extra needed space. Also, the husband reminded me so much of actor Chris O'Donnell. He had same voice, hair & mannerisms.

• Love 1

After doing renovations in our house, I can't believe the Chicago couple basically built a totally new house with their budget, including the over amount.  They had an architect, a designer, and two builders because one left the project, and that's not cheap. Then buying new appliances, the money they spent on things like higher end cabinet pulls and an ugly (IMHO) custom table, just tells me that they must have gotten HGTV help.  I know that for our bathroom remodel, where demolition was a big part of the total cost----and this couple demolished the entire interior of their house.  And I think we all know that brick is not cheap. And I just didn't get the whole brass fixture thing because to me, brass is so 1980's.   

In the end, the house looked nice, but I just can't believe their budget  

I think the husband knew he resembled Chris O'Donnell and really played it up.  

• Love 1

I loved the house that the Chicago couple built.  They made it seem so easy by getting the construction mortgage.  I was bummed that we didn't get the see the cleaned out basement.  I loved the kitchen!

You would think that with a project that big they'd come across a bunch of problems but all I noticed was the rain one.

Yes he did look like Chris O'Donnell.  What I found strange is that all the pictures they showed at the beginning...when they met, their wedding, etc., they both looked like different people in each one!

• Love 2

I'll admit to not paying attention too closely, but I'll eat my own hand if that was the genuine cost of renovation, all items included.  What they did would absolutely cost a lot more.  Perhaps the show wasn't honest about the purchase price -- like, say, it was a foreclosure or something that they got for cheap on the understanding that they'd be renovating it into a larger (and more valuable to the bank) property.  So that the whole house search was a red herring because they'd already borrowed money to renovate that particular place to create the equity necessary to justify the loan in the first place.  

• Love 2

Chicago couple...I'm assuming the previous owner died in the house and was a total hoarder. Anyway...I liked the kitchen except for the different colored island. I hope this mismatch cabinetry trend ends soon. I didn't like the brass fixtures either, especially since they had ss appliances. I loved the tall black kitchen window!  I agree about the DR table; I wasn't impressed and it was way overpriced!  The dining room light fixture was horrible!!!!  Besides it being ugly, it took the focus away from the table they were so proud of. The bathrooms came out nice except for the brass fixtures.  I was puzzled by the $5000 black and white tile.  The bathroom wasn't huge so I don't know why it cost so much. You can find that same style at Home Depot and it's quite inexpensive. I wonder what happened to the first contractor too. Overall, I wondered why they spent $190k in remodeling costs on that $300k house? It looked like it was next to a multi unit on the one side.  Why wouldn't they raise their original budget and find a house that didn't need as much renovation?  Finally, the wife needs to tone down her makeup; she was pretty, but she would look prettier if she exposed her natural beauty.

• Love 1

The Chicago couple last night got a lot for their money (if the figures they gave us were accurate) -- except they way overpaid for that fugly barn wood table IMO. I thought the kitchen was boring and I hated the brass, but they were happy (the weeping was a bit much, you didn't just learn your child was cured of leukemia or something lady), so good for them.

WTG, Aim High Construction. Get a nationally televised project and (1) put up flimsy tarps that end up flooding the house during a rain storm and (2) walk off the job when "something comes up." Bet you'll get a lot of business out of this show!

• Love 1
(edited)

The  husband was in construction sales.  I'm not sure what that is, but maybe he was able to get some breaks on the costs, like lower labor costs and discounted lumber and drywall, etc.  Maybe their first contractor was someone hubby knew, and he was helping out (for not so much money) in between other projects or something.  They were calm and nice about it, so there must be some mitigating factor.

Otherwise, they got a LOT of work done in 6 months.  My neighbors across the alley are re-doing their place,and it's been three years so far and they still aren't done.  Hate them and their never-ending construction!

I was relieved they decided to make the second story out of brick, and that it blended well.  It ended up looking cohesive.  I'm still having nightmares about that Chicago flipper who destroyed a classic home when she added the second story.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, NYGirl said:

I loved the house that the Chicago couple built.  They made it seem so easy by getting the construction mortgage.  I was bummed that we didn't get the see the cleaned out basement.  I loved the kitchen!

You would think that with a project that big they'd come across a bunch of problems but all I noticed was the rain one.

Yes he did look like Chris O'Donnell.  What I found strange is that all the pictures they showed at the beginning...when they met, their wedding, etc., they both looked like different people in each one!

She looked completely different every time they showed her.  When she did one of the "talking head" interviews I was wondering who the hell she was for a minute.   The husband kind of rubbed me the wrong way for some reason.  I've never heard anybody sound so fake in their interviews before. 

I don't understand buying a house and then taking it down to the studs and essentially building a totally different house.  Why not just buy the house you want in the first place? 

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, izabella said:

The  husband was in construction sales.  I'm not sure what that is, but maybe he was able to get some breaks on the costs, like lower labor costs and discounted lumber and drywall, etc.  Maybe their first contractor was someone hubby knew, and he was helping out (for not so much money) in between other projects or something.  They were calm and nice about it, so there must be some mitigating factor.

Otherwise, they got a LOT of work done in 6 months.  My neighbors across the alley are re-doing their place,and it's been three years so far and they still aren't done.  Hate them and their never-ending construction!

I was relieved they decided to make the second story out of brick, and that it blended well.  It ended up looking cohesive.  I'm still having nightmares about that Chicago flipper who destroyed a classic home when she added the second story.

The husband said the first contractor was a college friend, so maybe he was giving them a break. I had the same thought about the second story - when they said they were adding another story, I was cringing thinking it was going to turn out like the one that flipper did. She butchered that house. This one turned out much better, inside and out. 

I also had the thought some of you did about how the wife kept weeping, saying they'd been renting "for so long" when they'd only been married five years. That's not a long time to rent. (I also assumed they owned the condo, but maybe not?) I liked the couple overall, but that was a little much.

1 minute ago, Maharincess said:

I don't understand buying a house and then taking it down to the studs and essentially building a totally different house.  Why not just buy the house you want in the first place? 

I'm assuming a turnkey house like the one they ended up with in that neighborhood would have cost more than they could afford.

• Love 4

I'm guessing the house was previously owned by a hoarder, so they were able to get a good deal.  Also, they might have had to take it down to the studs to get rid of any lingering effects from the hoard.

RE: Chicago couple

Found the hse on  google maps.. The Nov 2015 google streetview shows the hse  unoccupied  and  dumpster in front. The 2nd story is complete though.

The wife did make me laugh when she thought the demo dust coming from the wall in the bathroom was steam.

(edited)

Saw the LA blogger and her engineer boyfriend.  Not surprised they took #3, as making that bonus room into a master made the most sense, and the end result was really nice.

That bathroom, however, was not so nice.  Pretty, but poor placement everywhere.  I hated the bathtub just shoved in the back of that hallway-like shower.  It looked creepy and unwelcoming.  It needed something to warm it up, because it resembled a marble cave, no matter how luxe it was.

Still not sure what the toilet ended up.  Oddly enough, it was the one part of the finished master suite that they didn't show.  And the double vanities plunked right in the center of the closet made for poor room flow.  Especially since there was a large desk/table only a few feet away where the wife could do her blog.  I would have done a smaller, round table that wouldn't be so intrusive.  And the vanities were pretty, but small, meaning there isn't much space to spread out makeup or anything.  They were basically just sinks.  And their distance from the toilet looked kinda far.  

Marble (or the marble look) is pretty, but can be very cold in vast amounts, and their shower/tub room was marble, along with the flooring in the rest of the closet, so the whole room seemed sterile.  But the biggest offender was that there's no window in that space, and even the husband brought it up, but the designer blew it off because she said there would be enough light.  Uh, what about ventilation?  Especially in a bathroom?  I thought the designer was talking out of her ass on that one.  

That particular bit bugs me because bathroom fans are useless, ime.  They eventually break down and can harbor mold easily.

Edited by Amethyst
engineer, not lawyer!
  • Love 3

I saw it also and found ms blogger to be rather annoying. She was just so full of herself. I really cracked up when she posed for some of those shots.

I also didn't like the bathroom. The floor plan was so odd. Did they ever show the rest of the house?

• Love 5
(edited)
14 minutes ago, twinks said:

I saw it also and found ms blogger to be rather annoying. She was just so full of herself. I really cracked up when she posed for some of those shots.

I also didn't like the bathroom. The floor plan was so odd. Did they ever show the rest of the house?

I'm sure she and her 38 followers had a totally rad viewing party for this episode.  I actually laughed when she mentioned they maybe could grow kale in the back yard.  And her deliberately girly/silly me attempt to tile the floor.  "Am I doing it right?" she giggle-asks.  "NO" explodes the professional tiler.

She really did not appear to be especially chic for a fashion blogger. And her home design choices were questionable, beginning with that godawful shower tile. Because that tile wasn't really busy enough, they added some decorative trim too.  The dressing room was atrocious...how many mirrors does one blogger need?  And why have vanities in there when there are vanities in her amazingly spa-like bathroom?  

Wonder how long they'll stay married.  And I wonder how 2 twentysomethings have over a million dollars to spend on a home.  I assume it's mostly his because she's not exactly a household name.

On another point...is having the toilet in a separate room or separated by a pony wall a new thing?  I really don't like other people in the bathroom when I'm doing my business under any circumstances.

Edited by Albino
  • Love 3
(edited)
36 minutes ago, twinks said:

They ended up spending the $$$ renovating the master suite, the dated stairwell, and the downstairs powder room, so those were the only parts they showed.  The powder room didn't get finished, so I'm guessing their friends will be using the toilet in the master suite.

Just realized this was one of the rare times the reno didn't include the kitchen.  

is having the toilet in a separate room or separated by a pony wall a new thing?  I really don't like other people in the bathroom when I'm doing my business under any circumstances.

Although I don't see them often, I don't think it's a new thing.  I think they're called "water closets" when the toilet is in a separate room from the rest of the bathroom.  NBD to me either way, but different strokes for different folks.  

That said, blogger really wanted the pony wall gone (didn't know it was called a pony wall) since the toilet was already separate.  That part I actually agreed with because the wall seemed unnecessary.  Just wish we could have seen where the toilet actually ended up.

23 minutes ago, Albino said:

And her deliberately girly/silly me attempt to tile the floor.  "Am I doing it right?" she giggle-asks.  "NO" explodes the professional tiler.

She was mostly tolerable until that bit, and I was RME so hard.  You can look cute while working hard, too!"  Ugh, just stop.  Honestly, if it meant saving some money, I'd throw on whatever cheap rags I had laying around and do some of the work.

Edited by Amethyst

I saw a "style and fashion blogger" with a $1.5m budget and went back to channel surfing before the introductory segment had even ended.  So, one person makes 95% of the money, they've only been dating a year and a half (although they were friends for about a year and a half before then), and they're tired of putting up with L.A. traffic to see each other.  So instead of renting a place to see if they're compatible living together, they're buying a home that's pretty expensive even for L.A.  What do I care, except there was something off-putting about both of them and I kept on moving.

• Love 5