Type keyword(s) to search

Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

Mars477
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Did anybody else see this?  I saw it last weekend (when it opened here in Hong Kong).  It was AMAZING.  Great action, great drama, fantastic characters, and a ton of black comedy.  Tom Cruise plays the anti-Tom Cruise Action Hero and as a result we get the best that he's ever been in years.  I'd even go so far as to call it the best science fiction blockbuster I've seen in years.  Better than Godzilla, Pacific Rim, World War Z... truly spectacular.

And considering that I'm pretty sure that Cruise was involved in this project from the start, major props to him for not neutering his co-lead.  Emily Blunt's Rita Vrataski is just so goddamn badass, and if Hiroshi Sakurazaka had decided not to write about some random 20 something Japanese schmuck in favor of the hardened American badass he falls in love with back in 2004 she easily could have been the lead of another, more badass movie.  At no point does Rita ever step back from her prime role as a plot mover even after Tom Cruise turns back into a Tom Cruise Action Hero, and even when he badasses up she never becomes any less badass.

The Mako Mori test should instead be called the Rita Vrataski test (this does not pass Bechdel, with there only being three other minor female characters that Rita never interacts with).  I guarantee you that Rita would never stand by passively while a man defends her honor in a fistfight.

Hell, even the hints of a romance (because there has to be a romance) works.  It helps that it actually looks like they toned it down from the light novel.  Plus Tom Cruise (who still looks at least 10 to 15 years younger than his 51) and Emily Blunt have fantastic chemistry, Rita is never diminished as a character in order to shoehorn her into a love interest role, and all we really see are a few Moments, a goodbye kiss, and ambiguity.

Hollywood, what ever you do for 2015, we need to see more of Emily Blunt: Action Heroine.

Edited by Mars477
  • Love 5

I had no interest in this at all, but then saw an interview with Tom Cruise last night and suddenly, I'm thinking I might like it.  Rotten Tomatoes certainly has some great reviews of it. 

• Love 1

I had no interest in this at all, but then saw an interview with Tom Cruise last night and suddenly, I'm thinking I might like it.  Rotten Tomatoes certainly has some great reviews of it. 

I was already sold on the grounds of "Emily Blunt kicking ass with giant sword", but it's just really damn funny, and one of those rare summer blockbusters that actually make you give a damn about the characters.

• Love 2

I've seen it yesterday. Really great movie. It manages to find the right balance between action, drama and comedy.

The actors were also great. Emily Blunt was awesome as the kick-ass heroine.

• Love 2

I just got back from it and I thought it was GREAT.  I wasn't going to see it at first but the reviews swayed me and I'm glad that they did.

Tom Cruise is very good and is very convincing against type.  But Emily Blunt is EXCELLENT.  Her character is a convincing badass and as pointed out, is not diminished at all throughout the movie.

As a GOT fans, it was pretty awesome seeing Noah Taylor in this.  Another Thrones actor is part of J-Crew, Tony Way.

• Love 1

Best Tom Cruise movie not directed by Brad Bird. (In fact, it may be better than M:I-4). It just goes to show, you have a strong director, and Cruise is tolerable. Also, this movie did nothing to lessen my crush on Emily Blunt.

Saw it. Liked it. A lot. 

It nimbly bypassed or acknowledged/incorporated/inverted most of the time-travel, sci-fi tropes - and more importantly - the Tom Cruise albatross effect. 

(Though it attacked the Tom Cruise problem at the start by making his character initially unlikable and definitely not a swaggering bad-ass upon first appearance.)

And Emily Blunt's character was written as a central figure and not just  Tom Cruise's female prop. ...Although I did wonder if the character's gender was dictated by desired demographic appeal and the 'need' to have a romantic element. The inevitable attraction and ending did follow the normal formula -- but a well made formula flick still makes for a satisfying movie experience. 

It's based on a book, the character was a woman there too. However, I believe her part was beefed up for the movie. You know what I find interesting, how she switched from mentor to sidekick. I can't remember the last time I saw someone switch roles like that. Good stuff.

I may be one of the few remaining Tom Cruise fans, so my reluctance to see this was more because of the science fiction element than him (not a fan of the genre, films are usually too clunky and pretentious for my taste).  But dude...DUDE! I loved this movie. For reasons:

1) In a time where blockbuster films are either YA dystopian, animated/Disney family films, comic fandom, or 80s cartoons/nostalgia, I really appreciated a great action film targeted to adults.  Of course, this may be why it's not blowing up the box office, but nothng to be done about it.  I saw it in IMAX 3D, and while I was meh on the 3D (don't bother paying for it), I'm so glad I paid extra for IMAX.  This is why I go to the movies - for the epic feel, great action, dark humor, and high stakes drama.  I was truly invested in the outcome.  I really wanted them to win.

2) I have an extreme aversion to female badassery as depicted in most modern films.  Thankfully, Rita is an exception, in every way. Props to Emily Blunt.  

3) Tom Cruise doesn't get enough credit as an actor, IMO, because of the manner in which is personal life has "damaged" his persona or image.  But I've never doubted the man can act, and he sold it in spades.  His mounting weariness and sense of despair was palpable, particularly after seeing Rita killed in the helicopter crash for the nth time - I really thought at that point he was giving up.     

4) The romance felt more organic because of the build-up of intimacy between Rita and Cage.  It wasn't just two beautiful people getting together because they're physically attracted. The circumstances meant that the trust and believing in each other was escalated and heightened, but it made complete sense within the story.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover Doug Liman directed this.  But he's probably one of the best relatively obscure directors out there.  He's no household name, but when I looked up directorial credits, I realized that I've enjoyed all the films I've seen.  This is no exception.

In any case, I hope word of mouth encourages movie-goers to see this one.  It's certainly my favorite of the year so far, and I'm not seeing anything on the horizon for 2014 that could top it.  Never say never, though.   

• Love 2

Ok, so here's my odd comment:  As I said above I had no interest in this whatsoever, mostly because of the genre.  However, because of the great reviews, I decided to see it.  I just got back and my thought is this:  I liked it more than I expected, but not as much as I thought I would  :) 

It really was fun and I was impressed with the special effects.  I do, however, have a hard time following these kinds of movies (although, this one was mostly cut and dried), so it's possible that I missed something, but I don't understand how he made it to the bar that one day.  If he kept waking up at the same exact time, in the same location, on the same day, then how did he get to the motorcycle and off the base? 

Aside from that I liked Emily Blunt and her character.  If only I could have her arms and shoulders! 

3) Tom Cruise doesn't get enough credit as an actor, IMO, because of the manner in which is personal life has "damaged" his persona or image.  But I've never doubted the man can act, and he sold it in spades.

Agreed.  His personal life aside, I, too, don't think he gets enough credit for what he does on screen.  To this day, I can't get over the fact that he wasn't nominated for an Oscar for his role in Rain Man.

• Love 1
(edited)

To me, him taking the motorcycle and going off-base was one that really showed how reliving the same day was wearing on him.  I think the bar was the first time he said something like, "It doesn't matter why they're here," and I liked that moment, if only because I could imagine needing a drink after all the shit I'd seen going down, over and over. I also liked it because the older gents in the bar were completely out of touch with the kind of war this was - comparing it to WWII, which, HELLO, was fought between humans, not aliens.  And of course, for plot reasons, he needed to be in the bar to realize that London goes down that same day. 

In terms of how he made it to the bar - my interpretation was that, because he kept reliving the same day and adapting, he found a way to sneak off base with the motorcycle so he didn't end up on the beach. 

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 1

Just saw it and really enjoyed it. My least favorite parts were probably the first five minutes (the premise to getting him into battle, and showing the audience what a dick he is) and the last two minutes.  I know we all dig the happy ending, but I would've been fine if we didn't have it here, for our two heroes.

I'm gonna have to look into the Emily Blunt workout ... her arms were nuts!

Thanks, ribboninthesky1.  Now that I think about it, that was a "duh!" question from me. Of course, he arranged his day that way. 

I know we all dig the happy ending, but I would've been fine if we didn't have it here, for our two heroes.

Personally, I prefer Hollywood endings, although there are times when I'm ok with a film ending on a sad note.  This would have been one of them in regards to the two main characters, but, not  knowing what was coming, I was pretty ticked that all of the troops died.  I knew that he told them it was extremely dangerous and, if confronted, they'd have to sacrifice themselves, but all I could think was "they blindly trusted him with something that they couldn't understand, no matter how many "parlor tricks" he could do, and went into the situation knowing how bad it could get and the writers have all of them die?"  So, in a way, I was kind of glad to see them all alive at the end.

• Love 1

I loved this movie - great effects, strong acting, and everyone else hit it on the head when they mentioned how great it is that the female lead isn't relegated to the romantic subplot.

I did think the ending was a little too pat, but I get that they were trying to make it a little more marketable.

One observation: given that the movie got crushed in the opening weekend by a YA romance film (Fault in Our Stars) and a movie on its second week (Maleficent), it's interesting to me that no articles have suggested the obvious - not only is it possible that Tom Cruise's drawing power has faded, but perhaps viewers are now actively avoiding his films for whatever reason? To me, it's a bit of the Johnny Depp syndrome - I know he's a good actor, and yet when I see movies come out with him, I groan and think "Unless this looks like the greatest film ever, eh"

I personally would have enjoyed this film if it had solely starred Emily Blunt. I think she had true leading action film star power in this movie and could have carried a similar plot on her own. Thoughts? It's a rare thing - only Angelina Jolie has shown she can launch an action film as a female star (Salt, and, you could argue , Wanted), but now I think that I'd happily watch Emily Blunt kick ass as a solo action hero.

• Love 2

I have been watching this thread with interest. 

I am one of those that don't like Tom Cruise and will purposely not see his movies.

The story however has me intrigued.  I love stories that deal with time loops (Deje Vu, Frequency, Butterfly Effect) so that has me hooked, just got to get past the whole Tom Cruise thing. 

However, I am seeing more and more from this thread that Emily Blunt is a good reason to see it.  I could handle that.

• Love 2

As I said above, I really liked this movie, but it bothers me that when I am recommending it to someone I find myself referencing it as "That new Tom Cruise movie: Edge of Tomorrow."

And I get that the studios know that it being called "a Tom Cruise movie" can be a selling point to certain groups and may guarantee at least ten to twenty million dollars. 

I find that a shame, since I'd like the movie to be thought of as its own thing -- like Lord of the Rings, or Star Wars, or The Usual Suspects, or Memento. 

But maybe if Tom hadn't signed on, it wouldn't have attracted the money and creative talent that made it as good as it was.... Thus, irony.. 

I actually really like Tom Cruise movies, and will make a point to go see films that he is in. Personal weirdness aside, I just get the vibe he really enjoys making those movies and puts a lot into them, and it shows. Plus, this movie at least started out with him as a cowardly dick, which is hard to market, but I enjoyed that aspect.

(edited)
To me, it's a bit of the Johnny Depp syndrome - I know he's a good actor, and yet when I see movies come out with him, I groan and think "Unless this looks like the greatest film ever, eh"

To me, the difference between Depp and Cruise is that Depp became more caricature than actor right around his Jack Sparrow days, which has put me off his projects. And whatever Cruise's personal issues are, I don't think I've ever heard him claim something like Native ancestry, particularly to justify a role.  As I mentioned upthread, I feel like most of Cruise's lack of appeal with American audiences has to do with all of the stuff around his personal life, particularly when his public image took a massive hit around his relationship to Katie Holmes, the whole uproar around Scientology, and the resulting media blitz. I vaguely recall something about him firing his publicist around that time, who was responsible for his golden boy image.

I personally would have enjoyed this film if it had solely starred Emily Blunt. I think she had true leading action film star power in this movie and could have carried a similar plot on her own. Thoughts? It's a rare thing - only Angelina Jolie has shown she can launch an action film as a female star (Salt, and, you could argue , Wanted), but now I think that I'd happily watch Emily Blunt kick ass as a solo action hero.

I would have liked to see her evolution.  Rita was much more resolute and experienced than Cage, and part of the appeal of the film for me is watching Cage evolve and adapt.  If I could have seen Rita in a similar trajectory, I would have been fine with her as the lead. Though, to be honest, 95% of the comedy is due to Tom Cruise's fish-out-of-water, cowardly "yet trying to figure out what the hell is going on" schtick.  Rita is the "straight man," thus a bit dour and more fearless, so it would have been a different movie.  Not bad necessarily, but different.     

• Love 1

I am one of those that don't like Tom Cruise and will purposely not see his movies.

This is how I feel as well. There's a handful of actors & actresses whose presence I have to overcome in order to enjoy a film & Cruise is one of those. However my youngest, who I recently allowed to begin watching this age range of movie, truly loves sci-fi & wants to see this. I'm torn, but the prescence of a strong female main character may give me the push I need.

Loved it, a few thoughts

I liked Bill Paxton's Master Sergeant channeling Sergeant Apone from Aliens and the enemy even moved like a super-fast xenomorph from that franchise. We then have Saving Private Ryan with the troops being what I expected for the Mobile Infantry after reading Starship Troopers.

Then in the end J Squad basically becomes The Dirty Dozen. The major weakness in the beginning and I know it was done to highlight Major Cage's fear, but going into a major battle in a war where humanity has only won one battle nobody else played the Aliens Hudson role. Going into battle only Cage showed any fear at all.

• Love 1

I saw this yesterday and really liked it.  I hope it has legs, as it's an actual original big movie, not a franchise or reboot.  And smart and well-executed to boot. Although can we retire Mech suits from the Sci-Fi movie back of tricks?  All I can think of when I see them is how dumb I think the idea is. 

Fun thought experiment: re-imagine the movie with Emily Blunt and Tom Cruise switching roles.  The dynamic shifts from watching Cruise learning how to become the Tom Cruise action hero we all know he'll become, to watching him mentor Emily Blunt into ultra action hero awesomeness.  Watching Cruise get fragged 20 minutes in would be a genuine shock, and it'd also be fun watching her lead him around in those choreographed routines.

it's an actual original big movie, not a franchise or reboot.

It's based on a book, All You Need is Kill. So not quite original. Also, I like the whole powered armour thing.

My younger daughter & I saw this. She loved it. She's only recently been allowed to watch much sci-fi & she thought it was awesome. She specifically loved Emily Blunt's character because she was strong, smart & tough, but still retained a feminine side. It wasn't a either or choice. (Her words: They didn't make her scream & hide like a girl or act like she's a boy to get to be strong. She was a girl who is strong.) As a mama that made me happy.

I was thrilled to see such an independent, confident woman as a lead role in an action movie. And because I don't like Cruise I enjoyed the dying over & over in my own sick way. I thought the film was wonderfully entertaining & enjoyed it despite the Cruise.

The only thing that bugged me a bit was the aliens. In the quick shots, when they were swirling around, it was hard to take them too seriously. I felt like they were oversized tweaking octopuses. Still they were creepy in their hive control & they served the purpose.

• Love 3

And because I don't like Cruise I enjoyed the dying over & over in my own sick way. I thought the film was wonderfully entertaining & enjoyed it despite the Cruise.

Ok, I think you just convinced me to see this movie.

It's based on a book, All You Need is Kill. So not quite original. Also, I like the whole powered armour thing.

I actually saw in the book store that the book has been re-released under the movie's title.  I was not impressed by that bit of marketing.

Did anybody else see this?  I saw it last weekend (when it opened here in Hong Kong).  It was AMAZING.  Great action, great drama, fantastic characters, and a ton of black comedy.  Tom Cruise plays the anti-Tom Cruise Action Hero and as a result we get the best that he's ever been in years.  I'd even go so far as to call it the best science fiction blockbuster I've seen in years.  Better than Godzilla, Pacific Rim, World War Z... truly spectacular.

And considering that I'm pretty sure that Cruise was involved in this project from the start, major props to him for not neutering his co-lead.  Emily Blunt's Rita Vrataski is just so goddamn badass, and if Hiroshi Sakurazaka had decided not to write about some random 20 something Japanese schmuck in favor of the hardened American badass he falls in love with back in 2004 she easily could have been the lead of another, more badass movie.  At no point does Rita ever step back from her prime role as a plot mover even after Tom Cruise turns back into a Tom Cruise Action Hero, and even when he badasses up she never becomes any less badass.

Hell, even the hints of a romance (because there has to be a romance) works.  It helps that it actually looks like they toned it down from the light novel. Plus Tom Cruise (who still looks at least 10 to 15 years younger than his 51) and Emily Blunt have fantastic chemistry, Rita is never diminished as a character in order to shoehorn her into a love interest role, and all we really see are a few Moments, a goodbye kiss, and ambiguity.

I completely agree. I loved this, thought it was clever, witty and incredibly fun, and Emily Blunt was the best female character I've seen in a movie in years. I loved her total badassery, her humanity (she feels like a rich, 3D character), and I loved that even after Tom Cruise's character evolves through her training, he is still not the soldier Rita is. 

I give total props for Cruise here -- I thought he was great, especially with a not-so-heroic character, and I really give the movie even bigger props because Rita's gender simply never ever comes up. She is simply the hero of the day, the best soldier of the moment, no drama, no huge gender discussions. I loved every bit of it.

3) Tom Cruise doesn't get enough credit as an actor, IMO, because of the manner in which is personal life has "damaged" his persona or image.  But I've never doubted the man can act, and he sold it in spades.  His mounting weariness and sense of despair was palpable, particularly after seeing Rita killed in the helicopter crash for the nth time - I really thought at that point he was giving up.     

4) The romance felt more organic because of the build-up of intimacy between Rita and Cage.  It wasn't just two beautiful people getting together because they're physically attracted. The circumstances meant that the trust and believing in each other was escalated and heightened, but it made complete sense within the story.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover Doug Liman directed this.  But he's probably one of the best relatively obscure directors out there.  He's no household name, but when I looked up directorial credits, I realized that I've enjoyed all the films I've seen.  This is no exception.

I like Cruise as a performer, I always have. I think he's handsome, charismatic, and physically graceful (I'm 'a sucker for people who move well), and he makes interesting project choices 4 out of 5 times. I'm not a fan of Scientology, but I feel sorry for him because he's honestly just another putz the church pulled in early (they target people with high school-only educations, who haven't reached their potential, etc., working on ego, etc.). Do I think he's a deluded millionaire in a cult? Yeah. But I also think he (most of the time) earns his millions, he has an absolutely superb reputation on-set, and I know secondhand from several folks that he generally and genuinely treats people well, both cast and crew, as well as his fans. 

I really do hope that one of these days, he'll have this kind of massive awakening, one of those "Oh f#ck" moments where he wakes up and realizes what a massive and harmful sham Scientology is. But until then, I'll probably still watch most of his movies. And this one was great.

To me, him taking the motorcycle and going off-base was one that really showed how reliving the same day was wearing on him.  I think the bar was the first time he said something like, "It doesn't matter why they're here," and I liked that moment, if only because I could imagine needing a drink after all the shit I'd seen going down, over and over. I also liked it because the older gents in the bar were completely out of touch with the kind of war this was - comparing it to WWII, which, HELLO, was fought between humans, not aliens.  And of course, for plot reasons, he needed to be in the bar to realize that London goes down that same day.

I thought the bar scene was incredibly resonant and important however and not just about the old men being out of touch. In some ways, they were exactly what he needed to hear. And the scene was also a respectful callback to how things never change -- the entire beach assault he's lived hundreds of times now is after all is a direct callback/homage to the beaches of Normandy in WW2, so I liked seeing those veterans here, as well as Cruise's character simply taking a break from the everlasting trauma and death, to simply go have a beer and try to forget. He was one of the old men now; they just didn't know it.

Rita was much more resolute and experienced than Cage, and part of the appeal of the film for me is watching Cage evolve and adapt.  If I could have seen Rita in a similar trajectory, I would have been fine with her as the lead. Though, to be honest, 95% of the comedy is due to Tom Cruise's fish-out-of-water, cowardly "yet trying to figure out what the hell is going on" schtick.  Rita is the "straight man," thus a bit dour and more fearless, so it would have been a different movie.  Not bad necessarily, but different.     

I liked it as it was presented here though because this way, we got two stories. At a certain point, we realize that everything he has gone through, she has gone through. She died over and over and over just as he did. She watched a man she obviously loved die hundreds of times and was never able to save him. This gave added poignance to Cruise's scenes with her, especially in the final third. He knows everything about this woman, he loves her, he admires her, he's watched her die hundreds of times and yet every time, he's a stranger. I found it heartwrenching and really well-done. And her final kiss to him, for that reason, didn't bother me. They were both going to die, and for a split second, it was like she and he were in the same place (finally) emotionally.

My younger daughter & I saw this. She loved it. She's only recently been allowed to watch much sci-fi & she thought it was awesome. She specifically loved Emily Blunt's character because she was strong, smart & tough, but still retained a feminine side. It wasn't a either or choice. (Her words: They didn't make her scream & hide like a girl or act like she's a boy to get to be strong. She was a girl who is strong.) As a mama that made me happy.

I was thrilled to see such an independent, confident woman as a lead role in an action movie. And because I don't like Cruise I enjoyed the dying over & over in my own sick way. I thought the film was wonderfully entertaining & enjoyed it despite the Cruise.

The sequence of Cruise dying over and over again was so darkly funny, especially when we got to the point where she just keeps killing him in training, and he's hobbling along going, "No, really, I'm okay... aw crap..."

I actually saw in the book store that the book has been re-released under the movie's title.  I was not impressed by that bit of marketing.

I'm not a fan of it either but in cases like this, it actually is the studio's way of trying to help the book/author make more money, so I can't hate them too much for it.

• Love 1

I have nothing against Tom Cruise and frankly don’t care about his personal life. Scientology doesn’t seem any weirder to me than religion does in general; if you are outside a particular belief structure, it will almost always seem strange whereas people raised within that belief structure accept it as normal. My hesitation in seeing this movie was because of Emily Blunt, who I had previously only seen in The Five-Year Engagement, which I loathed and which is responsible for the loss of any goodwill I ever had for Jason Segal, who co-wrote that dreck. (Blunt's performance was fine, but it was guilt by association.)

So I was thrilled to see that in Edge of Tomorrow, Blunt’s character Rita Vrataski is more than competent and never made to feel guilty that she is a more accomplished soldier than Cruise’s character William Cage. And Cruise is obviously having fun playing the role of reluctant soldier turned badass warrior. Both Blunt and Cruise made the characters seem like real people, nuanced, flawed, not just some flat stereotype. There were a few plot holes/inconsistencies but nothing really huge. First, the general wants Cage to shoot footage of the invasion but then has him arrested and thrown into a battle unit without any filming equipment or way to broadcast the invasion news, so what was the point of all that? Are we supposed to believe that the general was so pissed off that he just decided to throw Cage into a situation where he very easily might be killed? Second, after Cage discovers the omega is not in Germany, why is Dr. Carter all shocked/dismayed when presumably, this would also be the first time he’s hearing where he had thought the omega was? It’s not like he would have remembered that he had previously come up with the German location and been disappointed he was wrong; Cage could simply have brought Carter and Vrataski up to speed about what they had already attempted and told them it was a dead end, so time for plan B.

I saw it while it was in theaters but recently rewatched on HBO, and it has held up quite well. The first half of the movie alternates between the tension before and during the battle and the often hilarious scenes of Cage being killed repeatedly by an exasperated Vrataski despite his ongoing assertions that he’s really fine, his leg isn’t really broken, etc. The second half is less humorous but more gripping emotionally and psychologically, as Cage experiences both physical fatigue and emotional stress from the daily death of a woman he has come to know, appreciate, and care about. I pretty much despise too much focus on romance in any movie, so the one kiss they had while thinking they were both about to die for the final time was fine. I also appreciated Bill Paxton’s turn as the sergeant who absolutely refuses to believe Cage’s assertions even though he is obviously wondering how the hell Cage knows details about unit J.

As others have noted, Vrataski is a physically and psychologically strong character whose gender is mostly irrelevant, which is as it should be IMO, and a welcome change from either the damsel in distress character or the 95-pound superninja. Her strength is less about muscles (although she has them) and more about the intelligence to use her weapons as effectively as possible and putting in the hours to be an efficient killing machine.  The only real issue I have with the movie is its title, which I am firmly convinced is the reason this didn’t turn into a major hit. Had I not seen a trailer for this movie, I would have seen the title and assumed it was some rom-com or something of that kind and never bothered to find out differently.

I loved this movie.  I liked the flip of gender roles in the film with Emily Blunt's character being the more competent soldier and Tom Cruise being at first almost completely useless.  I liked how you see this slow progression of him from coward to hardened badass as well as the muted but strong romance between him and "the Angel of Verdun".  Tom's laugh at the very end made the film for me.

• Love 2
(edited)

I have nothing against Tom Cruise and frankly don’t care about his personal life. Scientology doesn’t seem any weirder to me than religion does in general; if you are outside a particular belief structure, it will almost always seem strange whereas people raised within that belief structure accept it as normal. 

Agreed with your take on Tom Cruise.  The film was my favorite of last summer, but I think its lack of box-office dominance was due to several factors: Tom Cruise's loss of American public and media favor, it wasn't part of a franchise, not teenage dystopia or targeted to the teen demo, not a nostalgic remake of a TV show or film, no iconic superheroes, and not adapted from a flavor-of-the-month set of books.  Though I'm sure the title didn't help matters. 

Agreed with your take on Tom Cruise.  The film was my favorite of last summer, but I think its lack of box-office dominance was due to several factors: Tom Cruise's loss of American public and media favor, it wasn't part of a franchise, not teenage dystopia or targeted to the teen demo, not a nostalgic remake of a TV show or film, no iconic superheroes, and not adapted from a flavor-of-the-month set of books.  Though I'm sure the title didn't help matters. 

I can see that all those factors absolutely contributed to its also-ran status at the box office, but the title was just an epic fail. Seriously, "Tom Cruise Dies a Gazillion Times" could possibly have been a better title or at least a tagline that would have brought  more people in to see it. That said, to me it's a sad commentary on the film/entertainment industry that a movie which is not the flavor-of-the-month in any way, but that is made well with convincing acting, compelling characters and a decent storylne, will struggle a bit while people will flock to see movies that are based on popular but cringeworthy books.

I can see that all those factors absolutely contributed to its also-ran status at the box office, but the title was just an epic fail. Seriously, "Tom Cruise Dies a Gazillion Times" could possibly have been a better title or at least a tagline that would have brought  more people in to see it. 

You make a compelling argument, heh. 

I really enjoyed this film, and it's a shame that more people weren't interested.  Heck, I wasn't interested at first, either, but I'm so glad I saw it.  

Also, I think the rapid succession of Oblivion and Edge of Tomorrow blurred the two in the public eye and EoT lost out.  I haven't seen Oblivion, but I very much enjoyed EoT.

Finally got to see this movie and loved it. My girl crush on Emily Blunt is what made me want to see it originally and she did not disappoint. Rita Vrataski is a fantastic character and Blunt plays her perfectly.

I also enjoyed watching Cruise die over and over, though my favorite was listening to his little yelp when he was run over by the truck. I am not a huge Tom Cruise fan, but I do appreciate that he fully commits to every role he plays.

• Love 2

I also enjoyed watching Cruise die over and over, though my favorite was listening to his little yelp when he was run over by the truck.

I super enjoyed this movie, although one of the things that leaves me a bit confused is that, particularly after that death where Master Sergeant Farell wonders what the hell Cage was thinking, the clear implication is that each of these timeline/realities continues after Cage dies.  So although they are successful in one reality, there are dozens of realities where both Cage and Rita are killed, potentially as deserters or traitors, which kind of bums me out.

I super enjoyed this movie, although one of the things that leaves me a bit confused is that, particularly after that death where Master Sergeant Farell wonders what the hell Cage was thinking, the clear implication is that each of these timeline/realities continues after Cage dies. So although they are successful in one reality, there are dozens of realities where both Cage and Rita are killed, potentially as deserters or traitors, which kind of bums me out.

I don't think the timeline continues after Cage dies. I think for this particular death, we get to hear the Master Sergeant's response because Cage was only mostly dead and not all dead. Since the truck didn't kill him instantly, we the audience had time to see the reaction of those around him. At least, I hope this is true because the alternative is indeed depressing. Edited by LeafontheWind
  • Useful 1

I liked most of this movie but honestly couldn't get into all the CGI action. Sometimes CGI can work for me but there gets a point where I start disconnecting if the CGI becomes more a medium than a tool. And this is a purely an aesthetic observation because this movie had a much better script than most Hollywood Sci Fi action movies... yet I still felt disengaged during the action.

I'm not a big Tom Cruise fan but despite that this was a pretty good sci-fi movie. Kept rolling at a nice pace, plenty of turns in the talek. Loved J squad!! They remind me of the rag tag misfit squad in Aliens 2 which had Bill Paxton in it also and he's a great actor. Definitely one to watch. Rated: 4/5