Type keyword(s) to search

Cast in Other Roles

Sara2009

Some hopefully promising stuff for Amber, in a recent interview with her manager Scooter Brown:

"One other artist that you work with is Glee's Amber Riley. Any news of an album from her? Her powerful voice has become so familiar for more than five years now, thanks to the show.
She's finishing [the final season of Glee] now. But, she's been recording in the meantime. When the show is done she's really going to get things going. There are a couple other TV and movie opportunities for her, as well. I actually want her to do a Christmas album. Oh, and she has the biggest heart in the world."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6458100/exclusive-scooter-braun-talks-bieber-and-rick-rubin-carly-rae-jepsens

• Love 1

Some hopefully promising stuff for Amber, in a recent interview with her manager Scooter Brown:

"One other artist that you work with is Glee's Amber Riley. Any news of an album from her? Her powerful voice has become so familiar for more than five years now, thanks to the show.

She's finishing [the final season of Glee] now. But, she's been recording in the meantime. When the show is done she's really going to get things going. There are a couple other TV and movie opportunities for her, as well. I actually want her to do a Christmas album. Oh, and she has the biggest heart in the world."

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/6458100/exclusive-scooter-braun-talks-bieber-and-rick-rubin-carly-rae-jepsens

I hope really hard that he is telling the truth about what is ahead for Amber because I'm rooting hard for her to succeed outside of Glee. But I don't trust Scooter, therefore, I believe it when I see it.

Although, I've to give him prop for getting Amber back on as a regular on Glee when there seems to be no reason for her to be  a regular again. But he did it, and she is making money without working hard this season on Glee.

• Love 1
And his original music just isn't good enough for a sustainable music career.

I think that Darren writes some pretty catchy music. "Pheromones" was a total earworm, as were a lot of the songs for A Very Potter Musical. The problem is his actual performance; Darren's voice just isn't strong or interesting enough, IMO. I think if he were content to just stay in the background and write music for other people, he could do decently. But expecting Darren to try and stay in the background might be a tall order, lmao.

Edited by galax-arena

^^ I find exactly the opposite. He has an interesting voice (lower and mid range) which isn't as versatile as his eclectic music interests, so he needs to get material that suits him best. I also don't think he can build a top 40 recording artist career or get top 40 radio play out of songs in the genre of AVPM, but he can go the singer-songwriter route. Otoh, not having a perfect or even good voice isn't such a handicap in pop / rock, lots of successful artists are mediocre or even piss-poor quality singers. 

Edited by fakeempress

In her first major acting commitment since wrapping the final season of Glee, Naya Rivera has signed on for a recurring role on Marc Cherry’s Lifetime series Devious Maids. Additionally, I’ve learned that Rivera has been asked back on The View and will do several more episodes as co-host this month.

On Devious Maids, Rivera will play Blanca, a new maid in the neighborhood who has landed a job with the seemingly picture-perfect Beverly Hills family.  But she soon discovers a terrible secret–something that could change her life forever.

Aside from TV, Rivera is in talks for a book deal.

http://deadline.com/2015/02/naya-rivera-cast-devious-maids-the-view-return-guest-co-host-1201365740/

From the Naya article:  "She previously did two appearances in November and two more last month, with virtually all producing soundbites that have gone viral, boosting The View‘s social media presence."

Talk about proving the point 'all publicity is good publicity' - didn't Naya end up having to apologize for, like, half of those sound bites?  But good for her to have more work - I'll confess she's one of my favorites, but sadly I would feel better about her chances for success in Hollywood if she had blonde hair and blue eyes.  But who knows - maybe the Shondaland success will drive more opportunities for women of color.

Prayer circle for a tell-all! Come on, Naya, I don't need to know how you wash your face and moisturize!

YES PLEASE.  My one wish is that one of the originals finally spills the beans.  Personally I think the cast mostly gets along, and it was Ryan Murphy who was the problem, and I'd read about HIM being an ass all day.  That being said - Naya's far too young and ambitious to write a juicy tell-all, so I'm sure it'll be about beauty products.

• Love 1

YES PLEASE.  My one wish is that one of the originals finally spills the beans.  Personally I think the cast mostly gets along, and it was Ryan Murphy who was the problem, and I'd read about HIM being an ass all day.  That being said - Naya's far too young and ambitious to write a juicy tell-all, so I'm sure it'll be about beauty products.

I honestly don't see anyone on the cast writing a tell-all book until yrs later, after they have tried everything possible to be a success and it didn't work out or they are so successful that doing a tell-all book wouldn't damage their career. 

• Love 2

Chris is writing YA novel about a young actor on a road trip with his fans (whatever that means). Doesn't sound like he'll draw only from his imagination, and as YA it's going to be more sarcastic. Let Naya write about a young actress and her boss, and Chris about the crazy fandom, and I'm set until someone comes out with the real tell-all. 

but for now I'm thinking Naya's going to be an autobiography with some juicy but not so scandalous bits to entice buyers

Edited by fakeempress

I think Naya is pretty business savvy, she's been working since she was a baby, and seems like she wants to continue working, so I don't think she'll be spilling the tea anytime soon. Based on what she posts on tumblr, her book would probably be self-help kind of stuff.

In her first major acting commitment since wrapping the final season of Glee, Naya Rivera has signed on for a recurring role on Marc Cherry’s Lifetime series Devious Maids.

I just really hope Naya isn't typecast in these roles due to her race. I don't know, while I'm happy for her that she's getting work, I can't help but think about Gina Rodriguez's Golden Globe speech and how impassioned she was in talking about strong roles for Latinas. I guess bringing up Gina here sounds random, but I think I made the connection because she's talked before about how she once passed on a Devious Maids role because she thought the show featured too many stereotypes. Not that I blame Naya at all for taking the role, POC are too often stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to what roles to take. And maybe Naya's particular role is better than Gina's was. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 2

Well, from the racist, homophobic, and misogynistic garbage that's spewed almost weekly on Glee, I'm sure Devious Maids in an upgrade. Plus, she's making connections with another network and producers, while at the same time is keeping her face/name out there by continuing to co-host The View. Eva Longoria is an EP for the show and Marc Cherry is the showrunner. So, while it's definitely not Mad Men, it's also not a Ryan Murphy production, and for that, I am grateful. 

Edited by Ceeg
  • Love 5

Considering how some were speculating that Naya would not get another acting gig soon because of her problems on the Glee set , I'm glad she got a recurring role this quickly. If it's an interesting character more power to her.

I just really hope Naya isn't typecast in these roles due to her race. I don't know, while I'm happy for her that she's getting work, I can't help but think about Gina Rodriguez's Golden Globe speech and how impassioned she was in talking about strong roles for Latinas. I guess bringing up Gina here sounds random, but I think I made the connection because she's talked before about how she once passed on a Devious Maids role because she thought the show featured too many stereotypes. Not that I blame Naya at all for taking the role, POC are too often stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to what roles to take. And maybe Naya's particular role is better than Gina's was. 

As far as future roles for Naya goes, I hope she has the actress who plays her grandmother put in the good word for her over on Jane the Virgin.  I'm sure there's a wide range of guest roles she could get there in the future.

I wouldn't poo poo Naya's new role. I'm not a fan of the show, but it's got a pretty solid fanbase and a good cast and has that trashy, soap-opera vibe that some people seem to enjoy. And it's something that doesn't involve Ryan Murphy, so that's automatically a plus in my books. She can do well there and it will probably open other doors for her in the future.

• Love 1

I don't think Heather has her own thread, and there were some people in the episode thread questioning Heather's post-baby dancing abilities, so I thought I'd link you up. Here are a couple of clips of her dancing a few weeks ago at a dance class with some of her friends, who also appear on Glee from time to time; that's Hannah Douglass on the far right (current Beyonce dancer), and I think Samantha was one of the angels in the Wishing and Hoping number.

http://instagram.com/p/yGRnIzSwLi/

http://instagram.com/p/yGkLzBodte/

Darren is returning to Broadway in the Hedwig musical:

Glee Star Darren Criss Will Be Broadway’s Next Hedwig

Glee star Darren Criss will return to Broadway as the next headlining star of Hedwig and the Angry Inch. He will play a limited 12-week run beginning Wednesday, April 29. Criss will take over the role from John Cameron Mitchell, the show’s book writer and original off-Broadway star, who plays his final performance on Sunday, April 26.
        "I’ve got a grin plastered on my face that Darren is joining the brotherhood of Hedwigs," said Mitchell in a statement. "I LOVED him in How to Succeed. His stage presence is electrifying, his rock and roll credentials and comic timing impeccable and I’m thrilled to be working with him to create a brand-new Hedwig!"
        "The first time I saw Darren I knew he was a game changer. He’s that good," added composer Stephen Trask. "Then, when we hung out it was like we were old friends. I’m excited to spend the next few months making the show and getting to know each other better. I’m happy that Hedwig can be Darren’s next stop on his way to world domination."
        Criss is best known for his regular role as Blaine Anderson on Fox’s Emmy- and Golden Globe-winning series Glee. He made his Broadway debut in 2012, replacing Daniel Radcliffe in the revival of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.
        Written by John Cameron Mitchell and Stephen Trask, Hedwig and the Angry Inch follows the titular transgender rock performer as she recounts her life during a concert at Broadway’s Belasco Theatre, where the musical runs. Michael Mayer directs the revival, which also stars 2014 Tony winner Lena Hall as Hedwig’s husband, Yitzhak.

Like I've said, I never doubted that Darren had offers. It was obvious he was networking like crazy with the B'way crowd and it was just a matter of time. Not surprised at all. I haven't seen this musical, just know that NPH and Michael C. Hall headlined so far. 

Edited by fakeempress

Like I've said, I never doubted that Darren had offers. It was obvious he was networking like crazy with the B'way crowd and it was just a matter of time. Not surprised at all. I haven't seen this musical, just know that NPH and Michael C. Hall headlined so far.

This is NPH at the Tony's. I can't see Darren in this, but I know that's because I've got Blaine in my head, not Darren.

http://youtu.be/fNl1hpRJBFM

• Love 1

Well, cheers for Darren. Not that I'm going to see the show (because I got to see it with NPH and there's no matching that) and I just can't see Darren playing this part. The character is a very fem "girly man" from East Germany and while OTT, has a lot of pathos in the character and Darren's acting style is pretty nuance-free. Whether his voice can handle the strain of a 12 week run (again, a very limited run by BW standards) is a big question. I understand that he was already showing strain at the end of his run in How Not To Succeed and that was only three weeks..

But it's a job and if it opens more doors for him, good. Just find it funny that he's going right into another gay for pay role. Looks like he found his nitch.

Edited by Hana Chan

Thanks jrattray, for the video. NPH sounds awesome. So it's a rock musical . Sounds like glam-rock judging from this song, and requires a strong higher register which isn't a forte with Darren, so it'll be interesting how he fares. I just don't associate his voice with straight-up rock. Glam rockers were a lot about androgyny and gender-bending, which again I haven't seen from Darren even when he played Blaine at his most diva campy. But this is a strong follow-up role for him, and a good stint of 3 months.

We talked about typecasting Chris, but this also seems like typecasting coming straight after Blaine. 

Now that I think of it, I can immediately see the guy who plays the Glee Club twin cheerio in this role. He certainly got the voice for it, and I can see him pulling off androgynous gender bending too. 

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1

Not something I would have picked for him but hey good luck to him.   

OTT a bit: Bway shows sure are casting more mainstream actors for short gigs a lot more often or it seem so the past few years. I mean Nene Leaks,  Hedwig , Cabaret seems to have a different Sally Bowles every few months.

Doesn't Lea start production on  the series "Scream Queens" next week?

She said a week after glee finish so I would say more likely early March.

Edited by tom87

I can't picture him in this role but I'm happy for him.

I honestly hope all the Glee actors somehow find a way to have a bigger career than they had in Glee. As Someone who was there when they started, I like to see bigger and better career stuff for them in the future. Whether on the big screen or on the small screen or on BW or on the music chart. I just really want them all to succeed. They worked hard on Glee and I want it to be the beginning, not the end for them. 

Edited by SevenStars
  • Love 1

So the two Glee stars with no formally announced projects upcoming left are Amber Riley and Chord Overstreet.  

Plus Jenna.

Jenna I can see getting a Broadway gig and both Chord and Amber have been working on albums.

Projects in the pipeline have been announced for Lea, Chris, Kevin, Dianna, Naya, Mark, Heather, Harry and Darren.

Not bad since production hasn't even finished yet.

Edited by caracas1914

Hmmm... the article announcing Darren's role in Hedwig seems to have been pulled and I don't see anything on Variety or Broadway.com. Wonder if that was legit. Will wait for confirmation.

Maybe it was put out before it was suppose to ?

"The first time I saw Darren I knew he was a game changer. He’s that good," added composer Stephen Trask. "Then, when we hung out it was like we were old friends. I’m excited to spend the next few months making the show and getting to know each other better. I’m happy that Hedwig can be Darren’s next stop on his way to world domination."

Is that how the guy usually speaks, is it a theatre person exaggeration, or is he serious?

So the two Glee stars with no formally announced projects upcoming left are Amber Riley and Chord Overstreet.

Plus Jenna.

Jenna I can see getting a Broadway gig and both Chord and Amber have been working on albums.

Projects in the pipeline have been announced for Lea, Chris, Kevin, Dianna, Naya, Mark, Heather, Harry and Darren.

Not bad since production hasn't even finished yet.

You forgot Matt and Jayma.

It's official - Broadway.com just announced Darren being cast.

And the knives are already coming out on their message boards. Darren is going to have his work cut out for him.

I honestly can't imagine him being able to do that musical for 12 weeks in a row. Unless he has been taken some serious amount of singing lessons lately (and by the sound of his Glee songs in season 6 I don't think so) his voice won't hold up that long, especially not when he needs to sing much in the upper part of his voice in glam rock style.

The reviews will be interesting.

But hey, good luck to him. It's certainly a nice gig after Glee.

Isn't possible that the songs will be lowered for him?

I thought about that too when I saw the NPH video, don't know if it's possible.  For some glam rockers the high notes were the whole point, the glam flash so to speak. 

Whoever has seen the musical (Hana Chan mentioned it), maybe can give opinion.