Type keyword(s) to search

Cast in Other Roles

Sara2009

This appears to be New York theathers equivalent of the people's choice awards. While is doesn't hold the prestige of the Tony or Drama Desk awards its indicative of what has a strong and invested fan base. In an industry that's reliant on getting butts into seats that's still valuable information. Also they are open to international voters. You only needed a valid email address, I was able to vote from England. So it also shows what has widespread main stream visibility.

Dude...it's an internet poll.  It's pretty meaningless.  It's like a step up from winning an E! or people.com poll, maybe.  Right now, the relatively soft sales at the box office count a hell of a lot more.  It's kind of low season at the moment so hopefully things pick up in the next month or so as they hit the summer months.

• Love 2

I wonder if Jonathan Groff return to his role as King George in "Hamilton" when it transfers to Broadway.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't. Who would refuse a role in that show? It's already gotten major commercial and critical success.

I'll be shocked if he doesn't. Who would refuse a role in that show? It's already gotten major commercial and critical success.

True, it's  the type of small but "showy" part that grabs attention. 

(edited)

From the Darren Criss thread:

And seriously, it's been a couple of months since Glee has ended. This doom and gloom is a bit much.

Two Words for people:

Dijon Talton

He was the (for the most part) silent Matt Rutherford from Season 1, unceremoniously dumped before Season 2 started filming, and now it has been announced that he will be one of the leads of a new HBO Series "Bros" that is being developed.

Now I don't know if that series will go to air or not this fall, but the point is 5 years after he left Glee, I imagine Dijon was trudging away in his show biz career, going to interviews/auditions/projects and this could be a big break for him.

Way, way , way too early to dismiss or write off the future performing careers of ANY of the Glee cast.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 3

Just watched the first look trailers for Jane Lynch's new vehicle and Supergirl over at Hollywood Reporter. Jane Lynch is playing a guardian angel called Amy and her delivery through most of the trailer was exactly like her delivery of Sue Sylvester. The only nuance I saw was when she quit the wisecracking and turned serious. I was a bit surprised tbh; she's versatile and experienced enough to give a new character a new spin. Melissa Benoist was a bit more life-like than anything she delivered on Glee and the peppy GrrlPower tone would be the perfect stablemate to The Flash. CW fodder through and through. I'll give the pilot a shot but I'm honestly curious to see the show's reception.

Supergirl looks a lot more The Flash than mopey "secrets and lies" Smallville, I count that as a plus. Cool that Mehcad plays Jimmy! Didn't realise Jeremy Jordan was also in, I like the cast, and Melissa looks fine in the role. I prefer the Agent Carter, Daredevil and Gotham type of superhero tv, but hope the target audience will like it. 

Supergirl looks a lot more The Flash than mopey "secrets and lies" Smallville, I count that as a plus. Cool that Mehcad plays Jimmy! Didn't realise Jeremy Jordan was also in, I like the

cast, and Melissa looks fine in the role. I prefer

the Agent Carter, Daredevil and Gotham type of

superhero tv, but hope the target audience will

like it.

I hope Jeremy Jordan's character is better than the one he got stuck playing in " Smash."

(edited)

I forgot to add that I hope Supergirl finds its target audience on CBS cause it doesn't look like a CBS show. If worst comes to worst, they can reschedule it on CW.

I don't watch CBS except for The Good Wife, and now will have to check Melissa's show, and Limitless which hopefully will be an interesting follow-up to the movie for the sake of Jake McDorman. 

I hope Jeremy Jordan's character is better than the one he got stuck playing in " Smash."

Melissa is way better actress and screen partner than Kat McPhee...

Edited by fakeempress

I'm really surprised with how much the Supergirl trailer appeals to me. I'm not into any super hero show on TV, I find all the dark brooding secret identity crap kind of boring and have zero interest in watching it, but Supergirl looks really great and seems to have a different tone than those other shows. I'm definitely going check out the pilot when it comes out and I can easily see myself actually getting into the show. Happy for Melissa too. Never cared for her as Marley but this role seems to suit her much better, no doubt because there's actually a character for her to play. 

• Love 3

I forgot to add that I hope Supergirl finds its target audience on CBS cause it doesn't look like a CBS show. If worst comes to worst, they can reschedule it on CW.

I don't watch CBS except for The Good Wife, and now will have to check Melissa's show, and Limitless which hopefully will be an interesting follow-up to the movie for the sake of Jake McDorman.

Melissa is way better actress and screen partner than Kat McPhee...

True, but Jeremy Jordan's character was awfully written too.

(edited)

lbr, whose character wasn't awfully written on Smash :)

through most of the trailer was exactly like her delivery of Sue Sylvester. The only nuance I saw was when she quit the wisecracking and turned serious. I was a bit surprised tbh; she's versatile and experienced enough to give a new character a new spin.

I just checked it out and didn't see that. I've seen Jane in all her Chris Guest movies; she has a bag of comedy schticks which she's able to modify well, including here. The full episodes will be better indication of course.

Edited by fakeempress

Stop hating, I loved Jeremy Jordan's working class drug addicted self destructive musical theatre composer who writes HIT LIST and hails from Brooklyn and is falling in love with the leading lady of his musical, Karen.

Wow, that was a mouthful.

• Love 1
(edited)

Stop hating, I loved Jeremy Jordan's working class drug addicted self destructive musical theatre composer who writes HIT LIST and hails from Brooklyn and is falling in love with the leading lady of his musical, Karen.

Wow, that was a mouthful.

OMG, he really was all that....and in one season only! I'd nearly blocked him out of my memory of that show. I know everyone loves the guy, but Smash kind of ruined him for me. Andy Mientus was the only one I cared about of that songwriting duo.

eta...oh, and topic! Congrats to Melissa. Looks like it's trying too hard to be girl power to me, but I'll give the pilot a shot.

Edited by TheGourmez

I thought about watching Supergirl, but then the lesbian joke happened, and I decided...nah.

Also, I don't have anything against Melissa, but there is something I find mildly annoying about her in this as well as her as Marley. Little too wide-eyed and innocent for me, I guess. I thought it was just Marley, but I think it's her personality too.

Supergirl isn't a show that would normally interest me (I never liked the character when I was reading comic books) and I don't care about Melissa enough to tune in. Hope it goes well for her, but it's not a show I'll be watching.

Melissa in Glee, Whiplash and now the SuperGirl trailer has this simpering way of saying her lines that is annoying. I think she can act, but it's just that her delivery is a little finger nails on chalkboard to me.

(edited)

Eh. I didn't hate Melissa and am interested in a couple of her Supergirl co-stars. I'll give it a shot - though I'll drop it like a hot potato if it's bad overall. Burned by a lot of recent scripted television. :)

Edited by RealityCowgirl

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/supergirl-melissa-benoist-on-playing-female-superhero-1201497667/

Interview with Melissa about Supergirl. This passage stood out:

What it’s like working with Berlanti?

From the second I started auditioning for him, the kindness, the passion, and the intelligence just radiates off this man. He’s really an inspiration. It’s such a rough business to work in. Sometimes there are some bad eggs and people who don’t have their priorities set straight and he really does. He’s focused and driven and above all kind. It’s a dream to work for him.

• Love 2

Supergirl looks like fun. I look forward to seeing what Melissa can do when she's not being sandbagged by terrible writing.

I agree that it looks fun! I was surprised by how much I liked it given how "meh" I was with her character on Glee. Kara looks like a cutie and I got a kick out of seeing her flying and stopping trucks and walking around all hero like while trucks explode behind her. lol.

I'm curious about the potential for longevity of the show, though, if it has what it takes to be a show with continuing storylines week after week. But I think the pilot at least will be fun.

Looks like the Glee cast members who attended the wedding were Naya, Vanessa, Jenna, Kevin, and Grant. Plus the dancers, Telly, and Meg Doyle. Fyeahgleeclub has a few more pics of everyone that Vanessa posted.

Well, I'm happy for Melissa joining the superhero bandwagon. The show does look interesting, even though that 6 minute clip gave away the whole pilot, and I do think Melissa is a good enough actress. I mean, she never really stood out to me as Marley, but I think that has a lot to do with how bland her character was written. She was never given many meaty storylines, besides the stupid eating disorder storyline that lasted all of three episodes. But hey, she does seem like a good actress (not fantastic, but good enough) and it looks like her and Grant are becoming the most successful post-Glee*. 

You know, for all the hype about Lea Michele since the first season, it's interesting that she's kind of stuck in the Ryan Murphy rotating doors. Now, I would love to see her get back to Broadway, but I'm not sure if she'll have much of a career on television, at least not to the extent of Glee. I am happy to see so many Glee stars get some pretty good, and some major, roles post-Glee. I was a bit worried about how many would break out and find good work but a good chunk of them seem to have a steady thing going for them. But it's kind of easy to see which ones will probably be stuck in a Glee-rut for a little while, and others breaking free of Glee almost altogether. 

Seeing Jane's new show, it doesn't look promising at all, I'll be quite honest. Like a lot of new shows, there are just ones that look like they'll crash and burn and you wonder why they got picked up at all, and then there are others that are quite good and you want more. The thing is is that a lot of shows that I personally dislike get picked up, despite me not knowing how they could get picked up while other good ones get cancelled. Sitcoms are always a tricky one for me, because it's so hard for me to get into them and the ones I do get into, they get cancelled. Enlisted and The Crazy Ones are the two most recent ones that pop into my mind. I even liked A to Z from last season. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Jane's new show does get picked up for a second season, and I hope it surprises me, because the trailer just seems offputting and not interesting to me in any way, besides the lead actresses. 

*and by this, I mean in terms of cable television, because Matt Morrison is doing well in Broadway and Jon Groff is doing well in a multitude of media platforms, as well as Chris with his books. I know success is definitely subjective, so I just want to clarify that this is my personal opinion. That's not to say other Glee actors and actresses aren't successful, but it's just that I feel Grant and Melissa, as well as a couple of others, won't be just known for their roles on Glee.

To be honest though, Melissa and Grant are barely known for Glee so it's not surprising if they're better known for the Flash or Supergirl/Whiplash.  Grant was on the show a handful of times in a minor role.  Melissa got very little traction from her time on Glee.

Again, it's just way too early to say who's is going to be the most successful.  Also, as well as the Flash is doing, remember it's on the CW.  A hit on the CW is a mediocre show on other networks, except for maybe Fox where things have been fairly dismal.  How Supergirl does on CBS is going be really interesting. Also, it's just impossible to compare post-Glee projects for someone that's been off of Glee for years vs. cast members that just wrapped a couple of months ago.

Scream Queens is one of Fox's most-hyped shows for next season with a big-name cast so it's going to be interesting how it does. 

• Love 2