Type keyword(s) to search

20/20 - General Discussion

Cranberry
  • Start Topic

Personally I would buy that Cruise's cousin stepped up and donated to the cause of The Golden Child.  Suri definitely has some Mapother characteristics. 

Given that the eyes of the world were on Cruise during the TomKat split, I would think he would be MORE likely to want to appear as a doting father of the year.  I think Suri's custody was already ironed out before they were even allegedly married.  I don't think Holmes was any more of a Scieno than I am.  I think she agreed to publicly support the COS while in Cruise's company but never had any intentions of joining the gang herself. 

I'm sure Kidman knows quite a bit about the cult.  She was with Cruise for nearly a decade and had to have been privy to some juicy information.   I think the children and her relationship with them was used against her.  I also think Cruise sank far more into the bowels of the COS during the latter years of their marriage and the early years of their split.  

Of course, who knows for sure?  Nobody's talking . . . yet.

THIS! ^^^yes...

sadly.. you said it.

For what it's worth, I interned at Entertainment Tonight back in college and met John Travolta during an ET interview once. He was literally the nicest guy--he shook hands and introduced himself to everyone in the room, he stepped outside with some of the crew guys and smoked a cigar and chatted, he thanked everyone. He was a quiet, almost shy, guy who seemed really sincere. When the camera came on, he got a little louder and flirtier, but it just seemed like his actor schtick. This was before his son died, though, so I don't know how much he's changed since that. But he did not come off as crazy Scientologist to me then.

This is heart warming to me bc I am a big JT fan. Thanks for this inside story.. I want to believe good things, but sometimes .. it is difficult.

I hope he follows Leah's lead and leaves... and speaks out. I don't want to derail the leah thread, but I am hoping that for JT.

• Love 2

We missed meeting John Travolta by a few minutes while on vacation 3 years ago (so several years after his son died). He came up to one of the other couples we were traveling with and started chatting with them. He was so unassuming that they didn't even realize who he was until he walked away. Then they chased him down and asked for a picture with him and he was very nice about it and took the picture with them. It doesn't seem like he is an egomaniac like Tom Cruise.

• Love 4

We missed meeting John Travolta by a few minutes while on vacation 3 years ago (so several years after his son died). He came up to one of the other couples we were traveling with and started chatting with them. He was so unassuming that they didn't even realize who he was until he walked away. Then they chased him down and asked for a picture with him and he was very nice about it and took the picture with them. It doesn't seem like he is an egomaniac like Tom Cruise.

Wow. that is a nice story and as a fan I love to read a first hand account like yours. I guess..in order not to break the rules... I'll take further comments about John to small talk thread? Let's gather at small talk thread?  IDK... I don't want to mess up things ,,,

• Love 1

For what it's worth, I interned at Entertainment Tonight back in college and met John Travolta during an ET interview once. He was literally the nicest guy--he shook hands and introduced himself to everyone in the room, he stepped outside with some of the crew guys and smoked a cigar and chatted, he thanked everyone. He was a quiet, almost shy, guy who seemed really sincere. When the camera came on, he got a little louder and flirtier, but it just seemed like his actor schtick. This was before his son died, though, so I don't know how much he's changed since that. But he did not come off as crazy Scientologist to me then.

The nice stuff is perhaps a conscious act with these folks though. Cruise has exactly the same reputation (except his version is the loud and gregarious version of nice). It would be interesting to hear if there's active training they're given to come off that way to everyone.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

The nice stuff is perhaps a conscious act with these folks though. Cruise has exactly the same reputation (except his version is the loud and gregarious version of nice). It would be interesting to hear if there's active training they're given to come off that way to everyone.

That's how they suck you in, folks.

• Love 5

I might have to watch again, but can anyone clarify what Leah said wrt her success in acting and Scientology?

Why are there so many well-regarded actors who belong to the CoS? I'm thinking of Elisabeth Moss and the My Name is Earl actor.

Leah gave some credit to the CoS for her success in terms of having learned useful skills--confidence, being able to read people, etc.--growing up in the church. That I understood, but did she also imply that the weird feedback machine actually DOES something? Gotta side-eye that one.

I'm fascinated by the actors connection too, but they do clearly go out of their way to attract and cultivate celebrities, who are useful in terms of both extracting money from them and recruiting others.

Vicky, Leah's mom, does seem like an odd woman, but I suspect she has very deep feelings of guilt about her role in all this. There was pain in her eyes during her brief interview on 20/20 and I sensed there was much unsaid about that.

• Love 2

I've heard many times that John Travolta is the nicest guy in Hollywood.

• Love 3

Wait - so now there's a fucking DRESS CODE?!!!  :-D

no woman!,

You had said in one thread that you are usually naked, but that it had gotten chilly in your area and you had to close the windows ....and wear a t-shirt or sah-um :)

Or maybe im cray. :).

• Love 2

no woman!,

You had said in one thread that you are usually naked, but that it had gotten chilly in your area and you had to close the windows ....and wear a t-shirt or sah-um :)

Or maybe im cray. :).

Correct.  A t-shirt or sumpin at night.  I'm still in sunny SoCal; the overnight showers have cleared to a "chill" day in the mid 70s - so I'm back to my natural self now.  (Only the early bird gets a glimpse of the begarbed walnutqueen!!!)  :-D

I've heard many times that John Travolta is the nicest guy in Hollywood.

I've heard he's a lousy lay.  :-)

• Love 1

Not sure if anyone here knows, but there has been a thread on this forum under HBO Documentaries for ages.  Going Clear:  Scientology and it's Prison of Belief.  I've been reading it since HBO aired the documentary.  There is a lot of good stuff on there.   Not that I don't find this interesting.... just thought you may want to check it out.

• Love 9

John Travolta has always given me huge gay vibes.  If you ignore the actual photo of him kissing a man on the mouth, there's the multiple times he's assaulted male masseuses.  I've long found him irritating in a very over-eager, dumb puppy dog way.  I remember when he was salivating over the great honor of "introducing his daughter to the world".  I think this was in Parade.  He was speaking of how she was going to rule Hollywood.  I think she was about seven at the time.  There was also his stupid comment that his character in Hairspray had to have a defined waist.  No one would believe this fat woman's husband found her sexually attractive unless she had that waist.  Definitely a weirdo.  It's been reported for years that his wife Kelly is the true fanatic.  It was heavily rumored that he would have left CO$ after Jett died, but Kelly didn't allow it, and the "church" has massive amounts of blackmail material on John.  They also ignored Jett's autism (Psychiatry is evil!), and hid him away after he was diagnosed.

Leah gave some credit to the CoS for her success in terms of having learned useful skills--confidence, being able to read people, etc.--growing up in the church. That I understood, but did she also imply that the weird feedback machine actually DOES something? Gotta side-eye that one.

The e-meter works as a rudimentary lie detector.  People can get great benefit from "auditing" because it's, in essence, talk therapy.  The auditor is trained to react to any reactions on the e-meter (which implies you're lying, or experiencing strong emotion), and you're talked through it.  The difference is CO$ documents everything in minute detail, and blackmails you later.  In Going Clear, it was mentioned that Miscavige would read Tom Cruise's auditing sessions aloud to a room of people - mocking and laughing.

• Love 8

John Travolta has always given me huge gay vibes.  If you ignore the actual photo of him kissing a man on the mouth, there's the multiple times he's assaulted male masseuses.  I've long found him irritating in a very over-eager, dumb puppy dog way.  I remember when he was salivating over the great honor of "introducing his daughter to the world".  I think this was in Parade.  He was speaking of how she was going to rule Hollywood.  I think she was about seven at the time.  There was also his stupid comment that his character in Hairspray had to have a defined waist.  No one would believe this fat woman's husband found her sexually attractive unless she had that waist.  Definitely a weirdo.  It's been reported for years that his wife Kelly is the true fanatic.  It was heavily rumored that he would have left CO$ after Jett died, but Kelly didn't allow it, and the "church" has massive amounts of blackmail material on John.  They also ignored Jett's autism (Psychiatry is evil!), and hid him away after he was diagnosed.

The e-meter works as a rudimentary lie detector.  People can get great benefit from "auditing" because it's, in essence, talk therapy.  The auditor is trained to react to any reactions on the e-meter (which implies you're lying, or experiencing strong emotion), and you're talked through it.  The difference is CO$ documents everything in minute detail, and blackmails you later.  In Going Clear, it was mentioned that Miscavige would read Tom Cruise's auditing sessions aloud to a room of people - mocking and laughing.

Man, oh, man. This is very sad. I wonder if it ever got back to TC that M mocked him? I wish Travolta would realize that no matter what kind of dirt the CoS has on him, his fans would still support him. He really doesn't strike me as someone who would commit a crime.

So what do they do with all that money? Buy real estate?

The Xenu stuff. Was Hubbard mentally ill? I watched Going Clear a while ago. Can't remember his background.

• Love 2

I hope Leah has opened the door for more big name celebs to leave this cult (Travolta, Kirstie).Travolta strikes me as a kind man, but I am a biased fan girl. I agree that his fans would support him if he had the balls to leave this whacka doodle "church"

He kissed a dude on the mouth? I've kissed a woman on the mouth and Im not gay... not that there's anything wrong with that. [/seinfeld] Anyway, I hope Leah is OK and I hope her book crushes it or whatever the kids say.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 3

Man, oh, man. This is very sad. I wonder if it ever got back to TC that M mocked him? I wish Travolta would realize that no matter what kind of dirt the CoS has on him, his fans would still support him. He really doesn't strike me as someone who would commit a crime.

So what do they do with all that money? Buy real estate?

The Xenu stuff. Was Hubbard mentally ill? I watched Going Clear a while ago. Can't remember his background.

That's exactly what they did with the money. They own a shitton of real estate from all over the world. Valuable properties, too.  It means in a way they no longer need the legions of slave labor.  All they have to do is rent out properties.

Hubbard may or may not have always been mentally ill. Opinions vary. He clearly was, and bigtime, near the end of his life when he allegedly started to believe a lot of the stuff he himself came up with. Earlier on in life though he'd supposedly had no such illusions.

As for Travolta?  Again, I think people are in danger of doing the same thing they did for years with Cruise. Seeing him as a nice guy even though he's not. Or in Travolta's case, a victim. Darn tootin' I'm sure he's written his share of Knowledge Reports on people. He's willingly blinded himself to a lot of stuff. He's gone along with a lot of Kelly Preston's own brand of insanity (she's one of the nuttiest ones out there), including her championing of the disgusting "Purification Rundown" that's hurt a lot of people. Even that last, being peripherally involved, makes someone a real piece of shit.

• Love 2

I hope Leah has opened the door for more big name celebs to leave this cult (Travolta, Kirstie).Travolta strikes me as a kind man, but I am a biased fan girl. I agree that his fans would support him if he had the balls to leave this whacka doodle "church"

He kissed a dude on the mouth? I've kissed a woman on the mouth and Im not gay... not that there's anything wrong with that. [/seinfeld] Anyway, I hope Leah is OK and I hope her book crushes it or whatever the kids say.

Travolta maybe but I don't think Kirsty is going anywhere. She seems to have not only drank the Kool Aid, she's bathing in it.

• Love 9

MyPeopleAreNordic, I have to be honest - reading your posts about Scientology while looking at your avatar of January Jones (scientologist) is making me laugh a little.  Like you really are January Jones and totally spilling the dirt on Scientology in here.

Overall it was a good interview. I already requested the book from my library - 7 people are ahead of me in line, so it will be awhile!

I agree - there's absolutely nothing wrong with being gay.  Unless you're a scientologist.  European men may kiss on the mouth all the time, but straight American men tend to bond by slapping each other on the ass, etc.  I've known a few American men who kiss male family members on the cheek, but it's rare.  Here's the kiss, judge it as you will.  I have no interest in his sexuality, except he needs to stop molesting masseuses.  It's sad to have to hide yourself from your religion.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=john+travolta+kisses+man+on+mouth&view=detailv2&&id=E31BAE82DEA149503B35EAE334D95844FE79B0F7&selectedIndex=0&ccid=m2ghBtqw&simid=608013889229688595&thid=OIP.M9b682106dab021fe0f7e8eb8a9cc7b60H0&ajaxhist=0

• Love 1

Travolta maybe but I don't think Kirsty is going anywhere. She seems to have not only drank the Kool Aid, she's bathing in it.

I agree That Kirstie is going nowhere.  I honestly believe that converts tend to be the true fanatics (see Michelle Duggar).  Kirstie believe CO$ got her off of drugs.  Luckily she didn't die while withdrawing, which is not uncommon in their "drug programs".  They told her some ridiculous story that she was drawn to cocaine because it reminded her of when her grandfather comforted her after a dental procedure involving a form of cocaine.  What a bunch of messed up garbage.  She bought it hook, line, sinker.  The funny part is she is a true believer that CO$ is the true way to cure an addiction - yet she continues to struggle with an eating addiction and yo-yos her weight in a very unhealthy manner.

• Love 8

MyPeopleAreNordic, I have to be honest - reading your posts about Scientology while looking at your avatar of January Jones (scientologist) is making me laugh a little. Like you really are January Jones and totally spilling the dirt on Scientology in here.

Overall it was a good interview. I already requested the book from my library - 7 people are ahead of me in line, so it will be awhile!

The book was only 12.99 on Kindle, its a great deal for a new release. I'm a little more than halfway done, great read so far.

• Love 2

The book was only 12.99 on Kindle, its a great deal for a new release. I'm a little more than halfway done, great read so far.

Did you pre-order?  I checked last night and it was $13.99 on Kindle.  I'm a little too cheap for that.  May wait to see if it comes to the library.

• Love 1

Did you pre-order? I checked last night and it was $13.99 on Kindle. I'm a little too cheap for that. May wait to see if it comes to the library.

Yes, I preordered it a couple of weeks ago. It's so much cheaper than buying it in a store. I reread a lot of books so I prefer to buy them. If I have some I don't want to read again I donate them.

• Love 2

Yes, I preordered it a couple of weeks ago. It's so much cheaper than buying it in a store. I reread a lot of books so I prefer to buy them. If I have some I don't want to read again I donate them.

omg me too!! And I love to have real books. I love to underline and write notes on the sides of the pages. And I re read many of them. I have bookshelves with books on them heh People ask why I buy them. They don't get me.

• Love 4

From hoodooznoodooz page 2 post

A twofer!

An L Ron schizophrenia diagnosis and a Tommyboy smackdown.

Thank you for the link!

This stuff is bizarre and fascinating. So it seems as if the CoS preys on the lost, weak and/or traumatized.

Was there something about TC running for President one day? Egads. Do they have the numbers and money to pull that off?

• Love 3

Do we need to go to small talk to talk about Travolta and Kelly? I don't want to eff up the Leah thread. IS Kelly Preston Travolta cray? If so I never knew it. NEWS!

I think this can be a discussion thread about Scientology in general. That's how the thread over in the HBO documentaries forum is. The way I look at it Leah Remini really opened the door to all of this with her interview. I don't think it's necessary to restrict discussion just to her.

• Love 6

I finally was able to watch this. There something that didn't make sense to me, though. How is Katie Holmes divorcing Tom Cruise a vindication? Why does she think she deserves an apology--and. I've read, a refund?

I finally was able to watch this. There something that didn't make sense to me, though. How is Katie Holmes divorcing Tom Cruise a vindication? Why does she think she deserves an apology--and. I've read, a refund?

The refund I can understand. "The Bridge To Total Freedom" is a ripoff, even if Leah herself was simultaneously arguing that some of the VERY basic techniques work (and to be clear, because they are basic self-help exercises in disguise, don't be surprised that they do). 

The apology? I think people shouldn't magically give Remini a pass on everything just because she's now the troublemaker on the other side rather than the super-cray-cray sounding attack dog the CoS viscously sicked on people. Frankly, this bit sounds like hypocrisy from her. Sure she's given a blanket statement about how she was a liar and such when in the CoS, but I never heard the word "apologize" come out of HER mouth talking about how what she did might have affected others. Unless I missed it, she was covering her ass in terms of her old lifestyle and how dishonest it was, but without expressing remorse over it.

• Love 3

I think this can be a discussion thread about Scientology in general. That's how the thread over in the HBO documentaries forum is. The way I look at it Leah Remini really opened the door to all of this with her interview. I don't think it's necessary to restrict discussion just to her.

Thank you for the clarification. I didn't want to go rambling and ranting off topic. :)

Their wedding was the catalyst that triggered the road to her leaving.  Tom and Katie claimed she ruined their wedding, which was total bullshit.  I think she rightfully feels vindicated, I would.   The fabulous wedding, you ruined collapsed!  Time for Tomkat to climb down from their high horse.  

I don't remember her saying she deserved an apology but Katie gave one knowing full well how horribly they treated her.  And I think she did deserve that apology.   She got into a lot of trouble because of them.  A lot.  

I cut slack for anyone who leaves COS.  It is one hell of an experience to overcome.  She really cannot apologize to anyone personally since she is a suppressed person who cannot have contact.  She is on the interview circuit and open about what she did wrong.  She has admitted to writing knowledge reports like everyone else.   I am not sure what else she did, it seemed to be all part of the rules to snitch on people.   She also mentioned how adamant she was to the press about how good COS was and towed the company line to defend it adamantly.   

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4

I cut her some slack too just for leaving. I hope more follow this example and get the hell out. I usually don't comment on religion, but I cant understand a "church" that  comes after people who choose to leave. That just seems..... IDK the word... cray, but some other words...

• Love 3

I cut her some slack too just for leaving. I hope more follow this example and get the hell out. I usually don't comment on religion, but I cant understand a "church" that  comes after people who choose to leave. That just seems..... IDK the word... cray, but some other words...

That's one of the dividing lines (at least in modern society) between a cult and a church.

Although to be fair and accurate, most religions (and I mean the still existent ones ones too) before the 19th century didn't easily tolerate people leaving either. Heck, some of that is regionally still true too. Try to STOP being a Muslim in some countries, or for that matter live in the Bible Belt right in the US and noticeable stop going to Church. The consequences may be more subtle and able to be moved away from, but they still exist.

That said.. a cult is a cult, and Scientology is a cult for FAR more reasons than JUST them trying to stop people from leaving.

• Love 4

Leah's book reveals more child abuse.  While a teen, she was thrown off a ship into the ocean.  It's a punishment called offboarding.

http://www.celebitchy.com/455461/leah_remini_was_thrown_into_the_ocean_as_a_teen_off_a_scientology_boat/

The refund I can understand. "The Bridge To Total Freedom" is a ripoff, even if Leah herself was simultaneously arguing that some of the VERY basic techniques work (and to be clear, because they are basic self-help exercises in disguise, don't be surprised that they do). 

The apology? I think people shouldn't magically give Remini a pass on everything just because she's now the troublemaker on the other side rather than the super-cray-cray sounding attack dog the CoS viscously sicked on people. Frankly, this bit sounds like hypocrisy from her. Sure she's given a blanket statement about how she was a liar and such when in the CoS, but I never heard the word "apologize" come out of HER mouth talking about how what she did might have affected others. Unless I missed it, she was covering her ass in terms of her old lifestyle and how dishonest it was, but without expressing remorse over it.

I think there's a lack of remorse, in general, expressed by all former Scientologists.  I think Leah has expressed more regret than the other high profile CO$.  Mike Rinder, in particular, is very bitter and extremely angry at how he's now treated.  Yet I've not heard him express regret at how vicious he was as one of CO$ top attack dogs.  Paul Haggis has stated how sad he was to discover that his gay daughter was treated horribly by the "church", and was too afraid to tell him about it.  Marty Rathbun seems to be a very nice guy, but he now states how horrible it was to witness the Cruise children being turned against their mother (I swear it was claimed he worked on turning the children himself), yet stood by and witnessed it without objection.  He was a top auditor, and had a lot of authority.  They speak as victims (which they were), but ignore how they victimized others.  I believe Mike Rinder fought just as dirty as Miscavige, but he doesn't seem to acknowledge it.  I guess they're doing their part by simply exposing the corruption and dirty underbelly.

• Love 7

The moderators here are the BEST!!! I don't miss "that other place" at all.

• Love 9

Sooo, according to Scientology that was the name of earth 70-80 million years ago when Xenu was the ruler of the Galactic something or other.

On the plus side with stars and planets combined there were only about a hundred, so I would've done a lot better in their astronomy than I did in actual, real, astronomy.

Ugh, there I go being Suppressive again.....

Edited by bosawks
  • Love 6

By being dropped publicly without warning, Cruise was made to feel the sting he had bestowed on a number of women. Furthermore, though he is his church’s putative savior, he has probably brought more invasive attention to Scientology than anyone else. David Miscavige cannot be pleased. Meanwhile, the hunt for the next Mrs. Cruise may already be on. Batter up.

Above quote from this article

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2012/10/katie-holmes-divorce-scientology

To the bolded I stand and applaud.  Keep it up Tom!   Maybe he will be sited as the one who started it's downfall.  

• Love 1

I think there's a lack of remorse, in general, expressed by all former Scientologists.  I think Leah has expressed more regret than the other high profile CO$.  Mike Rinder, in particular, is very bitter and extremely angry at how he's now treated.  Yet I've not heard him express regret at how vicious he was as one of CO$ top attack dogs.  Paul Haggis has stated how sad he was to discover that his gay daughter was treated horribly by the "church", and was too afraid to tell him about it.  Marty Rathbun seems to be a very nice guy, but he now states how horrible it was to witness the Cruise children being turned against their mother (I swear it was claimed he worked on turning the children himself), yet stood by and witnessed it without objection.  He was a top auditor, and had a lot of authority.  They speak as victims (which they were), but ignore how they victimized others.  I believe Mike Rinder fought just as dirty as Miscavige, but he doesn't seem to acknowledge it.  I guess they're doing their part by simply exposing the corruption and dirty underbelly.

Bingo.

I have never gotten this magic aura of automatic forgiveness they seem to be getting simply for leaving. I mean I get that they need to be held up as examples that people SHOULD leave and will be better off, but it infuriates me a bit that they (emotionally/ethically) seem to be given a clean slate in some ways. 

As I said, some simple sense of remorse might do the trick. I know, I know.. they thought they were saving the world. But there was a point with ALL of them where they realized they weren't and with very few of them was that the point they left (or even started a process to leave). And they continued to do Black Ops on people, help recruit them, endorse or do Purification Rundowns, badmouth things like normal safe drug therapy or Psychiatric care, watch David Miscaivage beat on people, support (until recently) little kids digging ditches and latrines and whatever other bullshit they did in their work camps, write Knowledge reports on people, help break up families with Disconnection, and lots of other nonsense. Different people who left were responsible for different parts of this, but gosh darnit, they can't all pass the buck on it--even a lower runger like Leah Remini. Evil Troll Missedcabbage didn't do it all himself. Acknowledge that. Sound SORRY for that. If these people were victims themselves, in some cases they were victims only second and perpetrators first.

• Love 3

Leah mentioned on WWHL last night she had nothing bad to say about John Travolta. As far as she was concerned, he was very kind to her throughout the years. I get the impression JT is not crazy like Tom Cruise.

Leah has really opened my eyes to what Scientology is really all about. There is more dedication and work into tattling on others, judging members, and pulling in the big bucks then they are about saving the world.

• Love 4