Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Comic Sans

• Start Topic

We didn't see them using the computer, but the stories were all typed, and while Daya's cartoon was hand-drawn, it looked like she'd cut out typed speech bubbles and was taping them over the handwritten ones.

I love the power dynamic between Red, Vee, and Gloria - Vee building her empire (whoever referred to her as a Fagin was spot-on,) Red seeing the coming trouble, and Gloria insisting she wants no part of it but still getting embroiled. And on top of that, we have power struggles between Fig and Caputo, and guards like Fischer and Bennet trying to figure out where to draw the line. Can't wait to see how it all shakes out.

Another great bit was Nicky's scene with Poussey in the library. It was nice to see them bonding a little, and Nicky's advice was sweet, even though Poussey DOES have reason to think Vee isn't good for Taystee.

• Love 1

I liked that black Cindy's backstory wasn't one that painted her as some sort of victim, whether a pregnancy of rape or some manipulative genius of a guy. I think they left it implied that this woman was dumb enough to get pregnant at a young age, had a mother that cared enough to care for her kid's kid like it was her own, was somehow able to land a decent government job and still dumb enough to piss it all away and get sent to prison. Not all people in prison are sympathetic figures. Some belong there, period.

• Love 6

I agree; Cindy was depicted as a paragon of irresponsible behavior. I'd assume her teen pregnancy was a result of the same.

I actually thought we were going to see her mom drop a dime on her re: the iPad theft, to prevent Cindy from taking the child.

Loved Jimmy singing 'You Slay Me.'  Dee dee dee dee dee de.  

But then my heart was ripped out when she was yelling for 'Roberta' from the van.  Like someone said, that scene got to me more than any other scene up to this point.  

I too was glad that Black Cindy's daugther was OK and just "reeked of MJ" at the end of the story, but then when Cindy was asked later if she had a daughter and answered "No", I don't know if I take that to mean she has written her off as her "daughter" because she knows she can't truly be her mom OR if later something did happen to her daughter due to her irresponsible nature. 

But then I think I read too much into this show and the dialogue many times. 

I think the female patting down a male agent isn't as creepy as vice verse because if push came to shove, the guy would be able to fight her and fend her off AND if he were to complain about being felt down by a female agent like that, the societal reaction would be different than a female because felt that way by a male.  Right or wrong, a man being "sexually harassed" is viewed as "WHy would you care? Enjoy it" But at that point if the guy wants to get on the flight, he is kind of powerless and just has to take what she does

I too was glad that Black Cindy's daugther was OK and just "reeked of MJ" at the end of the story, but then when Cindy was asked later if she had a daughter and answered "No", I don't know if I take that to mean she has written her off as her "daughter" because she knows she can't truly be her mom OR if later something did happen to her daughter due to her irresponsible nature. 

But then I think I read too much into this show and the dialogue many times.

My impression was that in that moment she was being truthful enough with herself to realize she had no right to call herself a mother.

• Love 5

I thought Fig's husband was gay too. Glaringly, when they had that conversation.

I think this was the first episode to make me really angry. They threw out that poor old woman because it costs too much to take care of her properly. I hope this season ends with Figueroa in disgrace.

I was actually confused because I didn't think they were just dumping her on the street and let her go. I think it's important that Piper was there to see it since the journalist was around too. This is a slam dunk story. What are they going to do with Jimmy's records? Fake her death.

I'm really enjoying the commerce going on now with the cigarettes and Red's Greenhouse of Snacks 'n' Things. I do wish they got to it sooner. I don't think Vee is as smart as she thinks she is either and I'm worried Taystee is going to get in a lot of trouble and maybe get set up to take the fall if something goes wrong. 

Damn, Black Cindy is a horrible person. The actor looked like she was positively gleeful playing those scenes and just ripping it up. I was worried that they were going to get into a car accident. Then I was yelling because Cindy left the car and took the keys. Let her at least listen to the radio! I assume she went in to find Cindy since they got home so late. 

But what I did find a bit weird was that the guy didn't seem bothered by it at all.

I know that as a woman, if I set off the machines and have to have a patdown, they always ask me to step aside and call over a female agent to do it. Does it not apply the other way around?

The guy was uncomfortable for sure, but the whole montage was meant to be kind of cartoony and over the top at how awful Cindy was. It wasn't meant to be a reflection on reality. There's tons of cameras in the airport and if she was stealing that much she'd get caught (which maybe she actually does). Women can't pat down men and vice versa for that very reason. (Believe me, I've tried! *rimshot*). I mean, "we can't let you on the plane with these guns!" Ha ha ha ha. 

It sucks that there's a quota now because everyone's getting written up for stupid shit. Cindy did actually have 45 seconds and wasn't technically late and that's not fair she got delayed by the guard because she was the first person he saw. 

I'm really enjoying Red a lot more now. I think because we're seeing her build back up from the bottom, whereas last year she was already queen in the kitchen and had her scams going from episode 1. "I know what this is. I invented the yogurt thing." I love it. 

I was pleased to see Bennett grow some balls. I wasn't getting what Daya was bitching about more than she just was bitching. They were blackmailing him, and he did have to put a stop to it. 

I was actually confused because I didn't think they were just dumping her on the street and let her go. I think it's important that Piper was there to see it since the journalist was around too. This is a slam dunk story. What are they going to do with Jimmy's records? Fake her death. 

It was a compassionate release so no records to fake. People with terminal illnesses who theoretically pose no further threat to society can apply. Ideally a compassionate release has someone to go home to to take care of them rather than disposed of via bus stop. 

(edited)

It was a compassionate release so no records to fake. People with terminal illnesses who theoretically pose no further threat to society can apply. Ideally a compassionate release has someone to go home to to take care of them rather than disposed of via bus stop. 

I used to work in a federal prison with a long term care unit, and my husband still works there.  Most of the inmates on that unit were nearing the end of their sentences and lives, but a few were granted compassionate release during my time there.  Every one had arrangements made so they were in the care of another facility in the private sector or in the care of family/friends.  Their care plan was part of their compassionate release application which would not even be considered if there wasn't a plan in place for the inmate.

Edited for grammar mistake.

Edited by Olive
  • Love 3
(edited)

Which makes significantly more sense. Was just commenting that within Litchfield they called Jimmy's release a compassionate release in order to get rid of her so they didn't have to deal with her problems and the potential problems she presents to Fig given that she was able to easily escape. Since this is a prison where inmates take 30 second showers in order to not be showering in feces, I can totally buy them shoving an inmate out via "compassionate" release. 

ETA: I'm glad the real world takes compassionate release more seriously. I would hope that no one is treated as poorly as Jimmy. 

Edited by egavasc
  • Love 3

The whole escape thing doesn't make much sense either.  Litchfield is presented as a camp which means no fence.  The inmates are still subject to normal counts at the regular count times, but otherwise it would be super easy for them to escape.  Camp inmates are given quite a bit of "freedom" so to speak.  When you look at the big picture, most inmates that aren't violent, multiple offenders are working their way through the system from tight security to camp as they progress toward their release date.  (With good behavior, of course.)

I love the show even though it's hard for me to separate from what I know about BOP policy and procedures.  Obviously writers have to take a lot of creative license to have the stories run more smoothly.

• Love 2

The whole escape thing doesn't make much sense either.  Litchfield is presented as a camp which means no fence.  The inmates are still subject to normal counts at the regular count times, but otherwise it would be super easy for them to escape.  Camp inmates are given quite a bit of "freedom" so to speak.  When you look at the big picture, most inmates that aren't violent, multiple offenders are working their way through the system from tight security to camp as they progress toward their release date.  (With good behavior, of course.)

I love the show even though it's hard for me to separate from what I know about BOP policy and procedures.  Obviously writers have to take a lot of creative license to have the stories run more smoothly.

Olive thanks for your insight (and I hope you post more). My father was in the federal prison system for five years, and in his final year he was moved to a lower security place. I was young so I don't remember a lot of details, certainly not the knowledge level you have, but he did like to tell a story about how another inmate got in trouble for sneaking out to bring back in pizza and beer.

• Love 1

Going off what happened last season, I'm pretty sure she's the one who's embezzling from the prison.  

I also took that conversation to mean that she is embezzling from the prison, not only for her own wealth (nice car) but also now for her husband's campaign in the understanding that they can possibly - or not - pay it back once he's elected. And yes, I also got the impression that he's gay but married to her for appearances and she's along for the ride as a beard in the hopes he becomes rich and powerful. 

Black Cindy did get one thing right:  Sanaa Lathan's portrayal of Monica in Love & Basketball is totally worthy of namesake status.  I told my husband we were naming our next child Monica.  (99.8% chance that will not actually happen.)

If Vee hurts one hair on Suzanne's head, she is going down.  She is so crazy manipulative.  She had Cindy's number right from the jump.

• Love 1
(edited)

I was laughing when Cindy was explaining to her sisterdaughter  how bad ass Sanaa was for bagging a married Denzel.

I liked Cindy's backstory. Not everyone is perfect but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy them. She was very immature and selfish wanting to have "fun" and do things when she felt like it, like a lot of people. The way Vee handled her was masterful. I'm so afraid for Taystee, Suzann and now Poussey for falling into her trap. She "empowers" them and manipulates so easily. I'm loving the dynamics between the women.

I liked the scene between Dayanara and Bennett. For once they acknowledge the truth. She has no power as an inmate period.

It takes all I have not to fast forward through Larry scenes. What a waste to spend one second on this character.

The ending snuck up on me. So emotional to see Jimmy turned out into the streets.

Edited by charming
  • Love 1

So Fig wants to make sentencing laws and defense attorneys better for criminals, but doesn't mind that the prisoners don't have basic necessities like showers and heat. 

Cindy couldn't even strip the ipad of photos first?  This is why you never pack electronics, or anything of any real value, that you can't conceivable carry on the plane with you.

Damn, its compassionate to just abandon a probably Alzheimer's woman at a bus station?

So its likely Daya's pregnancy just got found out?  I suppose it was bound to happen soon anyway, she's gotta be showing.

Vee getting her hooks in tighter.  At least Poussay is resisting.  And offering a cigarette to the cancer inmate?  Seriously?

Is Larry that necessary to the story?  And now Polly has gotten worse too.  I really don't need their story whatsoever.

How do you sleep with your fiancee's (ex or otherwise) best friend while she's in prison and live with yourself?   What kind of selfish sociopath does something like that?   And Polly.   What a traitorous skank.

I can't believe Polly! I understand for Larry that Piper cheated on him but Polly is her Best friend but I guess I figured they were going to go there when she told Larry how piper was her girl and she had her back but yet she thought Piper was wrong for what she did to Larry. I feel bad for her husband though he didn't deserve a skank for a wife