Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Speculation

Okay, I'll jump in since I can't believe we all have to wait for another season to start!

Will we see Hannibal and Bedelia staying one step ahead of the FBI and of Mason?  Has Bedelia become the Clarice expy for the twisted 'romance' arc of Hannibal, the book?  Or is there a possibility that she's Mischa?  I wouldn't put money on it, that's way beyond a longshot, but still, it could be interesting.  Hannibal's lied about everything else, why not lie about Mischa being dead too?  I've rewatched that final scene of her sitting on the plane next to Hannibal--she looks more terrified than ever before, and not the calm, cool and collected Dr. DuMaurier we've known thus far. That's a story I'm very interested in seeing play out.

Who do we think is dead?  I'm calling Jack as a goner based on Hannibal's conversations with Bella throughout the course of her illness this season--if Jack's dead, then Bella doesn't need to worry about his seeing her fade away, and Hannibal can look on it as doing her a 'favor'.  He's also been bleeding for a pretty long time in that larder.  Sadly, I think Abigail is dead as well.  That was a pure punishment kill to hurt Will as much as Will hurt Hannibal.  The only thing that keeps me from being positive that she's dead is that she was brought back so suddenly; there's got to be some backstory there that would be useful to Will if he can just get it out of her?  Maybe Kacey Rohl will survive for the first few episodes, just long enough to fill Will and the audience in on how and where Hannibal was keeping her (other than in Hannibal's basement).  Alana I'm not sure about, but I have a feeling she'll make it.  At the very least, she wasn't stabbed in the neck, disemboweled, or on the receiving end of a throat slashing.  

I'm hoping we don't lose all of the romance between Will and Hannibal.  One of the things I find so compelling about this show is the idea of these two diametrically opposed people, one good, one evil, who are nonetheless drawn to each other because each possesses what the other lacks--Will's complete empathy vs. Hannibal's sociopathy.  I do think that both men got inside the other's head a bit too much this season, leaving something of themselves behind.  It seems to me that Hannibal feels very betrayed by Will's rejection of him.  On the other hand, I'm not even sure what Will's feelings towards Hannibal are right now.  The one sticking point for me is that he called Hannibal, and a part of me genuinely believes that he wanted him to get away.

If Abigail does die, I think Will has the possibility to become vengeful and willing to do whatever it takes to put Hannibal away.  If not, who knows?  I saw a lot of grief and sadness from both men in that scene.  Without wanting to pull too much more emotion from Mads, I'd like glimpses of what their closeness has done to the other and how it may have changed them, to whatever degree.

I'm also wondering how they're going to work this coming season.  Will there be more of a focus on Hannibal?  What I don't want to see happening is a long recuperation for injured parties on one side of the pond while Hannibal globe trots on the other.  For me the most enjoyable moments of the season were the moments that took place between Will and Hannibal while they were playing one another.  I don't know how they can get that dynamic back after all that's happened, but if it's gone?  Damn, I'll miss the fuck out of it. 

It's odd, but I didn't find myself missing the MoTW overmuch as we came to the close of this season. I wonder if, now that the characters are well established, the show will move away from that type of episode?

The things I feel pretty certain of:  Mason will want his revenge, Will is going to be in a world of hurt, and Hannibal won't find himself locked up until the close of the season next year.  If that.  He's so vibrant and such an amazing character, I don't know how they'll work with keeping him cooped up with Barney down in the basement.  Somehow, I think Hannibal's going to stay out of a cage as long as is humanly possible.

• Love 1
(edited)

I loved the emotional dance between Hannibal and Will and as much as I was rooting for Murder Husbands, I think that's done now.  The nightmare stag represented his friendship with Hannibal and the stag ultimately died.  Will shot it.  Hannibal killed Abigail because she was tied to Will and, as Bryan Fuller said, Hannibal wanted to "raze the earth of their relationship" after Will's betrayal.  I think Will and Hannibal will be cobra-mongoose going forward.

Dead pool:  Abigail and Alana.  

I want Jack to live, Will needs an anchor who now understands what he's gone through.  I really hope Laurence can come back next season as I really enjoy Jack's character.  

Strangely, I think Will and the Vergers are going to team up (while Margot gets her own revenge on Mason).  It was Hannibal who orchestrated their recent traumas and they each have a reason to bring him down.  The enemy of my enemy and all that.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 2

Has Bedelia become the Clarice expy for the twisted 'romance' arc of Hannibal, the book?

I was thinking that too but I thought it would be hilarious if she gives up Hannibal to save herself, walking off with the bounty that Mason set up. That's my prediction: Bedelia wins.

• Love 1

I've posted my thoughts on Will's love for Hannibal versus Hannibal's love for Will in the 213 episode thread so won't repeat them here. Suffice to say, Hannibal is fuelled by gratifying his appetites and he is completely obsessed with Will. Will is going to be in the nemesis role in S3, rightly so, and if we can count on anything, I think we can count on Hannibal not being able to resist the lure of getting inside Will's head and heart again. He's a junkie, and Will is his drug of choice.

I would dearly love to see a little comfort for Will from someone, after all this hurt, and also to see his astonishing mind and investigative gifts being fully realised and explored now that he is - ironically, with thanks to Hannibal - able to move through the world and among people with more focus and clarity.

Bedelia is, IIRC, Fuller's original character. I hope she doesn't become a special snowflake, because the warning flags went up for me when she was shown parked next to Hannibal on that plane. There is literally no good reason for her to be there, and she above all, as clear-headed as she has been shown to be, would know that nothing good could come of it for her.

• Love 4

Has Bedelia become the Clarice expy for the twisted 'romance' arc of Hannibal, the book?

I'm still thinking Miriam is going to fulfill part of that role.  I find it very interesting that we haven't seen her since she shot Chilton (and that we don't know definitively if he's dead, for that matter.)

Sadly, I think Abigail is dead as well.  That was a pure punishment kill to hurt Will as much as Will hurt Hannibal.  The only thing that keeps me from being positive that she's dead is that she was brought back so suddenly; there's got to be some backstory there that would be useful to Will if he can just get it out of her?

Bedelia is, IIRC, Fuller's original character. I hope she doesn't become a special snowflake, because the warning flags went up for me when she was shown parked next to Hannibal on that plane. There is literally no good reason for her to be there, and she above all, as clear-headed as she has been shown to be, would know that nothing good could come of it for her.

Well according to Bryan, (7:09, 8:20 and 12:40), Abigail was initially going to be on the plane with Hannibal, but Bryan changed his mind because he loves Gillian so much. Only at the last minute, when Gillian could free up her schedule, did it become Bedelia. From the way Bryan described it, it was a very close call and could easily have been Abigail.

It's an interesting nugget that addresses both these points. Though Abigail is the most likely to die, knowing that Byran intended her to live, and so obviously mapped out a story for her, does make it more possible that she'll survive. Especially if he secured Kacey Rohl on the premise that she'd be on the plane, and so she's contracted into S3. Plus I suspect he treats his actors well, and wouldn't keeping Kacey hanging, dependant on Gillian's schedule, so he has a plan for Abigail in S3 regardless.

As for Bedeila being a snowflake, I too raised an eyebrow at that plane scene. The explanation for her being there has to be good, otherwise things could become very fanciful and undermine Bedeila's characterisation. That Bryan changed it up because he loves Gillian so much, is also worrisome. I love her too! But I don't want Bedelia shoe-horned into the plot just because. And I don't want a case of a showrunner heaping ever increasing and outlandish scenes onto a character, just because he loves the actor so much. I've seen that kind of behaviour completely ruin shows.

Anyway, I really want Abigail to live, I love her scenes with Will and would like to see them heal together, but anything is possible.

If Abigail was supposed to be with Hannibal, presumably as a captive that Will and Jack would be trying to rescue. Maybe Bedelia has taken on that role?

• Love 2

Pure desire on my part--I want the introduction of Molly next season.  I've been trying to cast someone--I want her earthy and sunshiny, but someone who "gets" Will.  I want her smart and working class, someone who works with her hands (maybe a chef!  Someone new to feed Will). I want her to get Will as much as Hannibal did.  Alana wasn't his savior, although I do think she'll be back.  Maybe in a wheelchair which would be interesting and cool (she and Mason can roll in the same circles).  TV doesn't have enough disabled characters.

So who can be our Molly?   Late twenties, early thirties, with a kid.  The kid is important.  The kid will slow things down.  Single mothers are careful with their kids (well, good single mothers).  

And oh yes, I fully expect Hannibal to stay obsessed with Will.  That's why Freddie's website will be so useful. You can't tell me he won't be pouring over those photos of poor slashed Will in the hospital room (which they must do!  Because it makes Freddie evil again.  Or maybe Freddie gets scooped and they have a new reporter villain).  That tidbit about what happened to Will after the cutting, the intrusiveness of those photos plastered in the papers, has always stuck with me.  For a private man, it was just the worst.  

• Love 1

For a Molly possibility, maybe Katy Mixon? She plays Victoria on Mike & Molly, but she has given that character more depth than the "laugh factory", imo. She looks like someone who's lived and could've had a kid, but isn't beaten down by life.

jeansheridan, I get you so hard on the intrusion into Will's life. Even with just this season, I cringe for him when strangers act as if they know him to his face. It brings the mom out in me and I want to physically shoo and swat those folks away.

I've never seen Katy Mixon before but I do like her look.  She does look a bit older which is nice (she's probably like 24!  Ha!).  And Will seems like like brunettes.  She's a bit older but I also like Linda Cardellini (she's almost 40!  That doesn't seem possible, but true).  

Apparently Hugh Dancy speaks French!  I hope they use that next season.  They film in Canada so they could pretend they're in France.  ;^).  

• Love 1
They film in Canada so they could pretend they're in France.  ;^).

Well, they film in Toronto where you're more likely to find people speaking any other of the world's languages - Toronto's not a hot-bed for the Francophones.

However, a Hannibal scene (or scenes!) with Hugh and Mads both speaking French for whatever reason is something I can really get behind!

• Love 1

Bryan Fuller has already indicated that Gillian Anderson wi be a regular in season 3. Even though she is busy, GA has always expressed that she will be available if Bryan needs her.

"Crisis" has been cancelled so she has more time to film "Hannibal" now. And she is done filming "The Fall".

(edited)

I think it just all depends on GA's schedule. Bryan is very keen on her becoming a regular. He wants more of Bedelia. And I certainly hope we get that.

I don't see why NBC would have an issue with it since it was NBC who suggested GA to play Hannibal's psychiatrist.

And I do believe that since Bryan Fuller wants GA to be a regular next season I don't see how GA will refuse. The admiration between them

is mutual.

And what Bryan Fuller says the first episode of season 3 would like a pilot of a new series. I think this will delve into more about Bedelia and Hannibal's relationship. And of course, Will.

Posting IGN interview again....

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/05/24/hannibal-bryan-fuller-on-season-2s-shocking-end-and-big-changes-in-season-3

Edited by IndependentMind
  • Love 1

And I do believe that since Bryan Fuller wants GA to be a regular next season I don't see how GA will refuse. The admiration between them

is mutual.

It has more to do with other commitments than with outright refusing.  I haven't seen anything about her status for next season (regular or guest) while I have seen a lot about all of the commitments GA has going on at the moment.  She's signed contracts and can't really say "Oh, I admire Bryan Fuller so much so I'm going to ignore these contracts in favor of my admiration".

Well she is done filming "The Fall" as I mentioned earlier. And she is doing a play " A Streetcar Named Desire" from July until September. I don't her other commitments unless NBC has something else for her besides "Hannibal".

She has a movie "Sold" that she will start to promote but I don't know if that will get a Worldwide Release although that movie will be shown at the Indian Film Festival in London.

And somewhere in between filming, rehearsing, promoting, participating in a play, etc, she'll also need a break.  My point was that mutual admiration does not automatically mean that her commitments to other venues (or to herself!) will suddenly disappear in order to be a regular.  Even in that interview you posted, Bryan Fuller explicitly notes that while the goal and desire is for her to be a regular, that's will be based on "negotiation and availability, that sort of thing."    

And somewhere in between filming, rehearsing, promoting, participating in a play, etc, she'll also need a break.  My point was that mutual admiration does not automatically mean that her commitments to other venues (or to herself!) will suddenly disappear in order to be a regular.  Even in that interview you posted, Bryan Fuller explicitly notes that while the goal and desire is for her to be a regular, that's will be based on "negotiation and availability, that sort of thing."    

Yeah, I get that but I do think and believe that GA will appear in more episodes than in the past two seasons. Bryan himself said that episode one of season 3 will be Bedelia and Hannibal centric and the series will revolve around that first episode for season 3. And he also admitted that he wanted GA to be a regular in season 2 but couldn't do it because GA's schedule was packed. And now that "Crisis" is cancelled, that frees her up a bit more than she was last year.

I certainly would love to have more of Bedelia than Alana. 

• Love 1

I'm not sure. A lot of Bedelia's appeal centres on her being mysterious and stand-offish. Her scenes are contained to the role of psychiatrist, and they're relatively short, which helps create a sense of stature. If she's on the screen more often, and we see a more personal side, that could undermine her current characterisation. Or add to it! It reminds me of what Farscape's Wayne Pygram said about Scorpius being on Moya, and how it deflated the character.

Anyway, we'll see.

True. But Bryan can always come up with something to still keep her mysterious.

We don't really know what she is up to.

I don't believe for a second that Hannibal did not know where she was. If Hannibal wanted to find and kill her he would have done so already. I think they have been working together all along.

I'll be shocked if she's been working with him from the beginning. That would change the core of the show imo.

So Hannibal wanted Will and Abigal to run off with him and Bedelia? I'm not sure I'd like that. It would feel like she's been shoehorned into the story, after the fact. Just because Gillian is now available. But then, I really don't know why she was on that plane with him. I think it goes back to the fact that it was initially supposed to be Abigal. That scene felt off to me when I first watched it. Like it was too much of a twist.

(edited)

Well, Bryan Fuller said that season 3 is a new series and that the season 3 premiere will be a pilot for a new series of Hannibal. So I would not be surprised if the twist was that Bedelia was involved all along.

Or maybe it is Bedelia stringing everyone including Hannibal all along. Hmmm. She could be the smartest of them all.

Also in my opinion, Bryan Fuller changing the last scene in the season 2 finale, it's pretty telling how much he wants Bedelia to be in season 3 more. Season 3 as new series could have revolved more around Abigail and Hannibal but instead he chose to have the upcoming season revolving around Bedelia and Hannibal. 

Bedelia is his creation. And the character being his own creation and him admiring GA, I think it makes it easier for him to write her and also, he can do so much with her character. Her overwhelming commitments with "The fall", "Crisis" and "The X Files" 20th Anniversary" prevented her from being available to "Hannibal" last year. I do think he had all this planned out and it just didn't happen last year because her availability was limited. 

Edited by IndependentMind
(edited)

Every time I read that Bedelia DuMaurier is the smartest person on the show, my special snowflake spidey senses tingle. I love Gillian Anderson, and I enjoyed Bedelia as a character, but my interest in Bryan's #Hannidelia!!!!! is extremely limited. Will's a genius! But Hannibal is the smartest person in the room!! No, Bedelia is the smartest person on the show!!! It doesn't help that I literally cannot conceive any circumstance or motivation that would have put Bedelia on that plane next to Hannibal. The FBI might have found her, but she got her cushy immunity deal and she could have slunk right off again, Hannibal none the wiser. He hadn't found her with all the resources of his rarified Baltimore existence at his disposal; he hadn't looked for her. How much lower a priority even than that would she have been while he was on the lam? It makes no sense to me, and the emotional authenticity that's supposed to override the absurdity of the plotting just is not present in this.

I have to be honest and say that my interest in Hannibal Lecter as a solo character is also somewhat limited. We know who and what he is, and mostly what he will do. The S2 finale showed that Hannibal can't, or won't, transcend his nature. As Jack and Will said earlier in the season, parked on an ice lake, a predator is a predator is a predator. The interest in this gothic psychodrama, for me, lies in the impact Hannibal's actions have on other people, those who *are* capable of transcending their own natures, primarily Will, who both explored his dark side and stabilised his sense of self and inherent goodness through the process of being put through destruct testing by Hannibal. Will is unpredictable in a way that Hannibal is not.

I generally have faith in Bryan as a showrunner, but I haven't necessarily agreed with all of his narrative choices, and I see that he is much, much more in love with his own character creation than I am. 

Edited by heyerchick
  • Love 1

I think that is why season 3 will focus on Bedelia and Hannibal's relationship and the impact that Hannibal has on her. There is more to what she has disclosed to Will about her attack and her killing her attacker. I believe it is what Bryan Fuller wanted to explore in season 2 but was unable to because of GA's limited availability. 

• Love 1

Well, Bryan Fuller said that season 3 is a new series and that the season 3 premiere will be a pilot for a new series of Hannibal.

Really! When did he say this!?

I'm surprised, but not surprised. It would take a reset to make sense of why Bedelia is on that plane. That's how off kilter is was imo.

The interest in this gothic psychodrama, for me, lies in the impact Hannibal's actions have on other people, those who *are* capable of transcending their own natures, primarily Will, who both explored his dark side and stabilised his sense of self and inherent goodness through the process of being put through destruct testing by Hannibal.

I too love this aspect of the show, but also Hannibal himself. My point about Bedeila being deflated once she's taken out of her initial context, can extend to Hannibal. But I'm really hoping that doesn't happen. I think there's good things to be explored there, but it would have been better with Abigail.

I think S3 is going to an important one. So many things have to come together for it to work.

Really! When did he say this!?

I'm surprised, but not surprised. It would take a reset to make sense of why Bedelia is on that plane. That's how off kilter is was imo.

I think part of that just sorta metaphorically speaking. It's a new season, Hannibal is on the lam, of course it's going to be a different setting, background, etc. But ultimately it's still about Hannibal and Will. Sure Bedelia will play a bigger part (which hopefully continue beyond episode 1), but it's still the Hannibal show.

Since season 3 will have more Hannibal's background, Bedelia probably had been privy to certain info as she was the psychiatrist. She may no longer technically be the psychiatrist, but I'm ready for more Bedelia/Hannibal verbal sparring.

I wonder if we'll see Hannibal wading into Will's memory stream, or Will in one of those dark rooms (the ones with a hole in the floor of the mind) in Hannibal's memory palace? It could be a fun way for them to have scenes together even while physically separated.

Here is the quote from Fuller:

Meanwhile Hannibal escapes to France ... with Dr. Du Maurier! Has she been in on this the whole time?
Fuller: The answers to exactly why Bedelia Du Maurier is on a plane to France with Hannibal Lecter is all part of the first episode of Season 3, which will essentially function as a new pilot for a new series because everything's different.

Will we be seeing much more of Bedelia next season now that Gillian Anderson's other NBC show was canceled?
Fuller: She's a very busy lady. But if I had my druthers, she'd be a series regular in Season 3.

You said next season will be different. Does that mean you're shifting the point of view to be more squarely about Hannibal?
Fuller: Season 3 is going to be a lot of fun because it's going to be taking a lot of disparate elements from the novel Hannibal Rising and the novel Hannibal and mashing them up together as part of the thrust of the season. It's going to be fun to bastardize two novels into one sort of Frankenstein season. I will brace everybody right now: We're significantly changing the Hannibal origin story from Hannibal Rising.

I do agree with Cubbiegirl. Fuller's speaking metaphorically or hyperbolically. This isn't American Horror Story with the same actors but completely different roles, settings, etc.

• Love 2

I wonder if we'll see Hannibal wading into Will's memory stream, or Will in one of those dark rooms (the ones with a hole in the floor of the mind) in Hannibal's memory palace? It could be a fun way for them to have scenes together even while physically separated.

I think the memory palace definitely seems like a plausible way for them to interact while separated, and allows for lots of trippy stuff.  I think only things you want to forget get put in oubliettes - and I'm not sure that Hannibal would want to forget Will.  He's too much of a drama queen to want to gloss over his great betrayal :)

I'm not sure. A lot of Bedelia's appeal centres on her being mysterious and stand-offish. Her scenes are contained to the role of psychiatrist, and they're relatively short, which helps create a sense of stature. If she's on the screen more often, and we see a more personal side, that could undermine her current characterisation. Or add to it! It reminds me of what Farscape's Wayne Pygram said about Scorpius being on Moya, and how it deflated the character.

Anyway, we'll see.

I so agree.  At the moment, I find her OK in small doses because her character seems so odd - the whisperiness, stillness, etc.  If you were to see her more often, and for more prolonged periods, I think she'd have to change somewhat - either a little less odd, or more explanation for the odd.  Maybe Freddie could do some digging to shed some light?

I'll be shocked if she's been working with him from the beginning. That would change the core of the show imo.

So Hannibal wanted Will and Abigal to run off with him and Bedelia? I'm not sure I'd like that. It would feel like she's been shoehorned into the story, after the fact. Just because Gillian is now available. But then, I really don't know why she was on that plane with him. I think it goes back to the fact that it was initially supposed to be Abigal. That scene felt off to me when I first watched it. Like it was too much of a twist.

I wonder if Bedelia was some kind of back-up plan?  Or did he just call her and say that he had a spare plane ticket?  She's always seemed so keen to be rid of him, though?

I think part of that just sorta metaphorically speaking. It's a new season, Hannibal is on the lam, of course it's going to be a different setting, background, etc.

I agree.  It's still the same - but a substantial part of the old formula has gone. Hannibal's person suit has been shed.  The people he was trying to construct a weird life with now know him for what he is.  No more sly puns at dinner parties, no more cosy meals with Jack, no more therapeutic 'conversations' with Will, no more clueless Alana.

It would take a reset to make sense of why Bedelia is on that plane. That's how off kilter is was imo.

Since this show doesn't have the rights to Clarice, I wondered if Bedelia is a version of Clarice at the end of Hannibal. Just like Miriam Lass was a version of Clarice in Silence of the Lambs. Bits of her character used in the show as "a DJ mix mashup", the way Fuller explained the series recently.

In the 'What the Flick?!' interview, Bryan Fuller said he is not wedded to canon at all - so Prurnell may not suffer Krendler's fate. 

I think he might actively avoid just telling the story now as it happened in the book - he seems to enjoy being inspired by it instead.

• Love 1

Watching Hannibal tutor a new killer (Bedelia) would interest me. He needs to leave breadcrumbs for Will after all.

I love the idea of Will & Hannibal meeting in the memory palace. Trippy indeed.

But most of all I want Season 3 to be about Will recovering. Finding is own moral core again. Finding some balance. He will need to fight Hannibal again and he needs to rebuild his arsenal. Lost and beaten Will won't be able to manage.

I vote that Abigal is in a convenient coma. Jack is sadly dead so Will has to deal with Cynthia Nixon. Alana is around but barely. And Molly!

What sort of job will Hannibal have on the run? Music teacher? Art instructor? I suspect Will will track him by his taste for fine things like Clarice did.

Please please please have Hannibal send Will cologne. The fanfic!

• Love 1

It doesn't help that I literally cannot conceive any circumstance or motivation that would have put Bedelia on that plane next to Hannibal.

I figure even though he wasn't looking for her, doesn't mean he never would to tie up loose ends and she didn't want to live her life looking over her shoulder. She's smart, analytical, and she knows how Hannibal works, possibly better than Will. Think of it this way:

HANNIBAL: Why did you come with me?

BEDELIA: I know you… who you really are. I know the truth about you, which makes me a threat. I know you’re a hunter, which means no matter how far I run or how well I hide, someday you’ll find me. Will Graham knew the truth about you too, for a long time, but you didn’t try to kill him, until he betrayed you. You respected him. You respect me. And you don’t kill people you respect unless you have to. I don’t want to be a threat. I know the only way for me to stay alive is to never betray you, and the only way to prove that I haven’t betrayed you, is to stay by your side. At least until you decide that I can be trusted with your secret.