Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E04: Manscaped, BoomBoom, Cave Shake, Butter Cloth

GoldenGirl90
  • Start Topic

October 28. 2018

A line of "manscaping" products; a new way to get refreshed; a sweet treat that complies with the keto diet; an immigrant from Vietnam pitches his buttery-soft dress shirts, bringing along an unlikely celebrity partner.

Interesting bunch.  Loved the manscapers, although I have to admit I didn't fully understand their product until the "trim the hedge and the tree stands tall" (or something) remark, I thought it was a more generalized grooming product.  At the beginning of their pitch, I never thought they would get a deal.  I'm glad they did, because I can totally see them dominating that particular niche.  Sorry, I don't for a minute believe that 70+ % of men manscape, but what do I know, my sample is pretty limited so I don't even have anecdata.

Why int he world didn't the Boom boom people (stupid name, especially when used as a verb) counter with some kind of non-equity offer?  I'm not sure what the rules of the show are, or if they could have been permitted to do so.    I'm surprised none of the sharks called them out for not really seeking an offer, just the appearance on the show. 

Cave Shake - they were 2 of the most unprofessional people ever.  Dance routine aside, their presentation was awful.  What makes their product unique or even worthwhile?  There are lots of drinks like that.  And for Charles Barkley to invest because it can be marketed for weight loss is ridiculous, since that bottle apparently has almost 500 cal.  I figured they told him he had to invest in something to justify being on the show. 

Speaking of Barkley - he really didn't add anything, either on a personal or professional level.  He asked a couple of basic questions, and that was that.  I'm not sure if he was there because of Metta World Peace, or vice-versa, but he really could have enhanced the basketball moment by at least a little participation. 

I loved how Metta was so supportive of the shirt dude, who I also liked very much.  I'm not generally a fan of backstories, but his was interesting, especially the Barbie part.  I'm really glad he got a decent deal, especially because those shirts looked very nice.  I don't know if the price is reasonable for what appears to be a well-made comfortable shirt, but I'd really consider buying one for my husband (who's totally an Orvis guy, though) or even myself.  I have to say, Metta really rocked that shirt, but he'd probably look good in anything. 

• Love 10

I looked at butter whatever online to see if I could buy them for my sons (3) & i just don't think I can afford them. They are $118. I don't shop for my adult son's but $118 seems high. They look really nice tho & I bet they feel great 

the shakes investment ---hmmmm.  I will be surprised if that goes somewhere. However did they say they had Come as their incubator?

I'll never get CB's lack of manscaping out of my brain. Why ,Charles?

• Love 4

Manscaping-So almost every man I meet is doing this?    I really doubt that.    I would love to see the two men, and Lori on QVC though.

I can't believe I sat there and watched a bunch of people discussing hair grooming for the nether regions like that.   

BoomBoom Nasal Spray-I'm glad they didn't get a deal, they were obviously just there for publicity.     What a strange, niche product.

Cake Shake-Charles Barkley really wanted a different product if he wanted a weight loss product.    I can see someone downing the Cake Shake, and then finding something to chase it with.    The owners were too over the top for me, going for enthusiasm over real evidence that the shake replaces a true meal.  

Butter Cloth-What a great story, and I hope that Robert really helps them with production, and marketing, because I bet a really comfortable shirt, even at $118, will sell very well. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, mjc570 said:

Interesting bunch.  Loved the manscapers, although I have to admit I didn't fully understand their product until the "trim the hedge and the tree stands tall" (or something) remark, I thought it was a more generalized grooming product.  At the beginning of their pitch, I never thought they would get a deal.  I'm glad they did, because I can totally see them dominating that particular niche.  Sorry, I don't for a minute believe that 70+ % of men manscape, but what do I know, my sample is pretty limited so I don't even have anecdata.

Why int he world didn't the Boom boom people (stupid name, especially when used as a verb) counter with some kind of non-equity offer?  I'm not sure what the rules of the show are, or if they could have been permitted to do so.    I'm surprised none of the sharks called them out for not really seeking an offer, just the appearance on the show. 

Cave Shake - they were 2 of the most unprofessional people ever.  Dance routine aside, their presentation was awful.  What makes their product unique or even worthwhile?  There are lots of drinks like that.  And for Charles Barkley to invest because it can be marketed for weight loss is ridiculous, since that bottle apparently has almost 500 cal.  I figured they told him he had to invest in something to justify being on the show. 

Speaking of Barkley - he really didn't add anything, either on a personal or professional level.  He asked a couple of basic questions, and that was that.  I'm not sure if he was there because of Metta World Peace, or vice-versa, but he really could have enhanced the basketball moment by at least a little participation. 

I loved how Metta was so supportive of the shirt dude, who I also liked very much.  I'm not generally a fan of backstories, but his was interesting, especially the Barbie part.  I'm really glad he got a decent deal, especially because those shirts looked very nice.  I don't know if the price is reasonable for what appears to be a well-made comfortable shirt, but I'd really consider buying one for my husband (who's totally an Orvis guy, though) or even myself.  I have to say, Metta really rocked that shirt, but he'd probably look good in anything. 

Barkley was there as a voice of the 30% who don’t manscape, I guess. 

• Love 4

I like Sir Charles and always have.  I don't know why, I just do.

The Manscaping guys were hilarious and knew their stuff.  All the men I know are decidedly non-metrosexual so I'm not a client but I liked them.   I thought the accents were just to class up the presentation, at first.  I expected them to bust out with American non-accents when the presentation was over.

The Cave Shake people were ridiculous.  I'm not keto so I don't get it.  500 Cal's for a shake seems awfully high, as does $8 per shake.  What?!?!

I like the concept of the nose thing.  But I would never, ever spend $8 on something like that.  Sorry.  Not even $4.  Bring it down to the price of a tube of chapstick or carmex and maybe.

The shirts seem great.  I'd maybe buy one for the hubby for Christmas or something.  And I think the Vietnamese guy is a real go getter.  He's worked hard and I hope this does well for him.

Edited by Destiny74
  • Love 8

Who would pay $7.99 for one can of Cave Shake?  I can't believe not one shark commented on the fact that it's too expensive.  I can go to my local grocery store and get a 10 pack of generic Slim Fasts for that cost.    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who was annoyed by their dance and presentation.  

I too like the concept of Boom Boom, although the name makes zero sense.  Surprising that one of the sharks didn't ask what the deal is behind the name.  I dehydrate horribly when I fly so thae product would come in handy.  If it's a stress reliever, even better.  It definitely would have a holistic/alternative niche.  But $8 is high.  $4-$5 would be a better price point.

I really liked the Butter Shirts guy's story.  I'm glad he got a deal.  The shirts really did look amazing, although way out of my price point.  Wonder how long they last?

I loved the Manscaping guys.  They were awesome.  I think Lori will sell the shit out of their product.  One of my exes was very much into grooming "down there" as Robert said (he he.)  I think for the younger generation, it's become fairly normal.  Heck, even Robert says he's on board.   

• Love 6
2 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

Who would pay $7.99 for one can of Cave Shake?  I can't believe not one shark commented on the fact that it's too expensive.  I can go to my local grocery store and get a 10 pack of generic Slim Fasts for that cost.    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who was annoyed by their dance and presentation.  

4 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Cave shake is $7.99 for 1. I will never buy one, ever. Too expensive. And 500 calories. I can have a real milkshake. 

I was very disappointed that they got a deal, aside from them being annoying.  If they are looking at it as a diet product, it has way too many calories to even be a meal, let alone a snack.  And I too was very surprised that the sharks didn't comment on the price.  That is far, far, far too expensive no matter what they position the shake as.  I also think that far more people will find the taste unappealing than they think.  Given that Charles didn't like two of the four flavors, it was surprising that he was interested.

I took a look at their web site.  They were positioning it as a dessert, but also a meal replacement.  All the packaging is in squeeze packs, which to me would detract even more from it being a meal, or even a snack.  I would feel like it was an energy jolt type of thing, but a 500-calorie jolt is insane.

• Love 6

enquiring minds want to know--was Billie a guy or a girl? I honestly couldnt tell. I was very interested to see this product but 480 calories is wayyyy to much!! Id rather have a small blizzard :)

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, nlkm9 said:

enquiring minds want to know--was Billie a guy or a girl? I honestly couldnt tell. I was very interested to see this product but 480 calories is wayyyy to much!! Id rather have a small blizzard :)

Billie is a girl. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

I’m just here to call bullshit on anyone on this planet telling Lori that they want the outfits she wears on this show. I know America has problems but I have to draw a line here.

She did get reemed here last season for the Sgt. Pepper outfit she wore.  ?

• Love 4
3 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

enquiring minds want to know--was Billie a guy or a girl? I honestly couldnt tell. 

I was wondering the same thing!  At one point, the blonde was recounting something (maybe the story of how the product came to be?), and pointed to Billie and said 'her' or 'she'.  I think it was about halfway through or so.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, nutella fitzgerald said:

I’m just here to call bullshit on anyone on this planet telling Lori that they want the outfits she wears on this show. I know America has problems but I have to draw a line here.

This is what I got out of the episode, too. (Maybe most people really are dumb?)

I was surprised there was no gimmick to Lori’s dress this night. 

I love the guy from Vietnam. And I am glad he will be working with Robert.

That song was terrible. 

• Love 3
On 10/29/2018 at 10:42 AM, rhys said:

I'll never get CB's lack of manscaping out of my brain. Why ,Charles?

I'm way more horrified with Robert's admission that he does, to be honest. 

16 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

I was very disappointed that they got a deal, aside from them being annoying.  If they are looking at it as a diet product, it has way too many calories to even be a meal, let alone a snack.  And I too was very surprised that the sharks didn't comment on the price.  That is far, far, far too expensive no matter what they position the shake as.  I also think that far more people will find the taste unappealing than they think.  Given that Charles didn't like two of the four flavors, it was surprising that he was interested.

I took a look at their web site.  They were positioning it as a dessert, but also a meal replacement.  All the packaging is in squeeze packs, which to me would detract even more from it being a meal, or even a snack.  I would feel like it was an energy jolt type of thing, but a 500-calorie jolt is insane.

Agreed.  I hate all artificial sweeteners. I have found a premade meal replacement shake at Walmart that I don't hate.  I don't love it either, but I can suck it down real fast.  I guess I could do the same with Cave Shake- as long as someone gave it to me for free.  That was WAY to expensive!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I'm way more horrified with Robert's admission that he does, to be honest. 

Interesting. I've never been with a man who didn't groom his nether regions and I'm in my 60s. 

1 minute ago, rhys said:

Interesting. I've never been with a man who didn't groom his nether regions and I'm in my 60s. 

And, that's interesting to me.  I'm 46 and it just doesn't seem to be a thing among my husband's peers.  Obviously, I've not held an official poll, but I know my husband doesn't and if I asked him to he would look at me like I was crazy.  Maybe it's a socioeconomic thing?  My husband and all our friends are firefighters/blue-collar/get-your-hands-dirty guys.  

• Love 4
23 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Their packaging was horrible, it looked like a can of paint. There’s no way that was going to jump off a shelf, especially at that price. I was shocked that they got a deal.

Not sure how much help Charles Barkley is really going to be to them with no experience in the industry and those two really need the help.

• Love 2

I thought Boom Boom was one of the stupidest products ever to be featured on the show, and we've had some doozies over the years. Glad they didn't get a deal.

Cave Shake was up there, too. Drink a small glass of something that may not even taste that good, all for 500 calories, and claim it's healthy? Pass. (And yes, I know about keto, and know people who have had success with it. But it's not really a casual diet, you're either in or you're not, and I doubt this drink will help at all.)

• Love 7

Here's the thing about the Cave Shakes...there are lots of protein shakes out there. Some of them taste pretty ok. Some of them are not everyone's cup of tea (I see you, Robert). And even if you're doing keto or low carb, calories DO still matter, even though they might not matter as much.

But at $7.99 for 8 ounces of a pre-packaged, shelf stable protein shake is something most people buy for an emergency meal replacement, not a staple. 

Especially if it doesn't actually taste like a milk shake. 

The manscaping thing was cringey to watch, but I can get the usefulness. Lots of men would try it or be interested. It's just a courtesy thing. I did not need to hear the roll call of who does and doesn't amongst the sharks. 

• Love 2