Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E03: Tex and the City

Will and Jack visit Jack's grandson, Skip, in Texas to watch him perform at his church's talent show. But when Jack learns Skip plans on singing "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend," he becomes afraid for his grandson's safety. Karen tags along to check out the portion of the border wall she sponsored, only to discover that Beverley Leslie has claimed it as his own. Grace and Noah try to figure out if something is wrong in their relationship because their attempts to have sex have failed.

Air date: October 18, 2018

First, Karen (Megan Mullally) should bottle and sell whatever fountain of youth potion she is drinking. Maybe vodka is a preservative? She looked great!

One thing that bothered me: why would a boy - even a gay one - want to sing "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend" anyway? I get that Marilyn Monroe is a gay icon, but surely a 10-12 year old would have picked a Lady Gaga song?

• Love 16

When Beverley Leslie rolled up on his tiny bike, I had to pause the tv I was laughing so hard.  He and Karen are comedy gold.

I am loving David Schwimmer being a guest.  He and Grace are great together.

Any scene with Will and Jack is fun.  Their friendship hasn’t changed a bit.

I think the show is great, and I am thrilled it’s back.

17 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

First, Karen (Megan Mullally) should bottle and sell whatever fountain of youth potion she is drinking. Maybe vodka is a preservative? She looked great!

One thing that bothered me: why would a boy - even a gay one - want to sing "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend" anyway? I get that Marilyn Monroe is a gay icon, but surely a 10-12 year old would have picked a Lady Gaga song?

But this is Jack’s grandson.  His choice of a song was perfect.

• Love 13

While they have good acting chemistry in their scenes, Debra Messing and David Schwimmer have zero romantic spark. Those "kisses" were cringeworthy. Bleck.

I did like "No one is convincing anyone to have sex in 2018."

Speaking of which, Karen's "affable bigot" persona has not aged well in the current political climate, even if Megan Mulally has.

I love Will/Jack buddy plots so I'm glad they've temporarily dropped all the ambiguous hints of a romantic future between them. Feelings and sexual tension would kill their comedic dynamic.

• Love 12
42 minutes ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Speaking of which, Karen's "affable bigot" persona has not aged well in the current political climate, even if Megan Mulally has.

True - the thing with the gal in jail was cringe-worthy.  And the other prisoner certainly had a good make-up job.  Do the guards do that?  

43 minutes ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

I love Will/Jack buddy plots so I'm glad they've temporarily dropped all the ambiguous hints of a romantic future between them. Feelings and sexual tension would kill their comedic dynamic.

For sure!  

• Love 7
56 minutes ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

I hate that they've made Karen a full-blown Trump supporter. I think a real-life version of Karen would love the tax cuts, but be disgusted by his complete lack of taste.

Speaking of Megan Mulllaly aging well, I still can't believe she's only three years younger than Leslie Jordan!

David Schwimmer's character isn't working for me. I still see and hear Ross, with the only difference being that he grumbles instead of whining in a high-pitched voice.

And I hated that he threw a shitfit over learning that Grace once had sex with a guy who he occasionally interacts with. Grow up and get over it.

Edited by Blakeston
  • Love 14

That was a different kid playing Skip than the one who played him last season. I wonder why they recast. I guess it's been a year since they filmed the previous season so maybe the other kid is just too tall now or something. I would have liked to see Elliot again, too.

I'm not buying David Schwimmer's character either. It's not that I see Ross Gellar, it's more that I see David Schwimmer and it feels very much like stunt-casting. 

Well, they do sell what she's using and it's called plastic surgery. Not that I hold it against her but I am currently re-watching old episodes of Parks and Recreation, and I can tell you that nine years ago she looked her age. Her face is now remarkably line-free and that ain't just makeup.

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Well, they do sell what she's using and it's called plastic surgery. Not that I hold it against her but I am currently re-watching old episodes of Parks and Recreation, and I can tell you that nine years ago she looked her age. Her face is now remarkably line-free and that ain't just makeup.

Well, she has a few lines here. Maybe it really is just spackle and makeup.  She was rocking that crazy outfit!

• Love 6
8 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

I did like "No one is convincing anyone to have sex in 2018."

My mom and I got a good laugh out of that, too :D. And she said the same thing about Mullally looking good. 

I personally liked the scene with Karen and that woman in the jail. The mention of Rosario was sweet, and I liked Karen changing her attitude about the wall as she did. 

And yes to everything with the Will and Jack storyline. I too enjoy them interacting, and I really love any moments involving Jack and his grandson, and the way he tries to look out for and protect him. It brings out a particularly sweet side to Jack :). 

Also, Will coming in in his Freddie Mercury getup at the end was awesome :D. 

• Love 12
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Ok yes I was thinking she had to have had some work done because she was definitely looking older both on Parks and Rec and her guest role in Happy Endings in the 2011-12 timeframe. The neck is where I’ve noticed it the most. 

But now I’ve just read that People magazine article and am thinking maybe they really are just using heavy makeup and other tricks of the trade to make her look younger? I really don’t know! I do know that I think she’s a lovely woman, with or without makeup.

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, Jillybean said:

Well, she has a few lines here. Maybe it really is just spackle and makeup.  She was rocking that crazy outfit!

Karen/Megan's body was insane in that cat suit!   So hot!  FLOVE her ( and  Nick O.). 

Grace and Ross?  Not feeling it. 

Jack and Will were sweet together. I wanted to see more of Will's Freddy Mercury, though. 

Did anyone else think that Karen was going to offer that Salvadoran woman Rosario's old job?  I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen sometime,  or a DACA kid. 

Didn't care for the kid...too stereotypical.  I agree with the poster above who said a Lady Gaga or Christina Aguilera or any contemporary female singer's songs would have been great, but song rights, lawyers, blah , blah, blah. 

I would love to see a gay boy who is tough and strong and into sports,  but is just attracted to the same sex . Or a girl who isfemme, but likes girls. Speaking of which,  have we ever seen a gay/lesbian girl child on any show?   I can't think of any now.  

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 7
23 hours ago, MaryMitch said:

You are absolutely right. I think that it's a question of money. "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" came out in 1949, so it's probably not protected by copyright anymore.

• Love 2

This episode was the best of the season so far. But still not as funny as last season, imo. Loved the end with Will doing his Freddy Mercury impersonation.

Am I the only one, or did it seem like quite a jump from Grace and Noah sharing a pudding to them dating seemingly exclusively? Wonder if this is another “out of order” episode? 

• Love 3
On 10/19/2018 at 12:31 PM, Blakeston said:

I hate that they've made Karen a full-blown Trump supporter. I think a real-life version of Karen would love the tax cuts, but be disgusted by his complete lack of taste.

Speaking of Megan Mulllaly aging well, I still can't believe she's only three years younger than Leslie Jordan!

David Schwimmer's character isn't working for me. I still see and hear Ross, with the only difference being that he grumbles instead of whining in a high-pitched voice.

And I hated that he threw a shitfit over learning that Grace once had sex with a guy who he occasionally interacts with. Grow up and get over it.

I think it would be more Trump's lack of class than his lack of taste that she would hate, but then again, he has money. Karen's never been shown to be such an out-and-out bigot, but the whole sponsoring the wall thing made me think she is, her friendship with two gay men notwithstanding (although she frequently throws homophobic insults, especially at Will). At least the illegal immigrant in the cell with her had Karen's number.

At Grace's and Not-Ross's age, no one should be surprised that their partner has had a past. I did laugh at his line that even a hipster getting pooped on didn't make him smile and usually it does.

Jack annoys me more often than not, but I was with him on this. His grandson is going to be in for a lot of bullying and abuse growing up in right-wing "Christian" Texas. He was just looking out for the boy. (I also wasn't impressed by the kid's performance anyway.)

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Tosia said:

Karen/Megan's body was insane in that cat suit!   So hot!  FLOVE her ( and  Nick O.). 

Grace and Ross?  Not feeling it. 

Jack and Will were sweet together. I wanted to see more of Will's Freddy Mercury, though. 

Did anyone else think that Karen was going to offer that Salvadoran woman Rosario's old job?  I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen sometime,  or a DACA kid. 

Didn't care for the kid...too stereotypical.  I agree with the poster above who said a Lady Gaga or Christina Aguilera or any contemporary female singer's songs would have been great, but song rights, lawyers, blah , blah, blah. 

I would love to see a gay boy who is tough and strong and into sports,  but is just attracted to the same sex . Or a girl who isfemme, but likes girls. Speaking of which,  have we ever seen a gay/lesbian girl child on any show?   I can't think of any now.  

Well they weren't child characters, but Callie Torres and Arizona Robbins come to mind. But a lot of people don't actually like that relationship because both are (were, I have to remind myself) too femme and writers always stick a dick on one of them in fanfiction. I find it extremely offensive and degrading to intersexed individuals as well as real lesbians who are femme.

Another gay character, who I think is Gender-Flux, is that child on The Conners. I don't know if he's DJ or Darlene's son, but he's interested in one of the boys from his class. So I am not sure if he is gay or is just exploring his sexuality, as he's 10.

11 hours ago, AEMom said:

You are absolutely right. I think that it's a question of money. "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" came out in 1949, so it's probably not protected by copyright anymore.

Don't copyrights expire after 72 years? It has been 69 years.

Edit: Not surprised Google doesn't give a straightforward answer. /eyeroll

The 95-year period is divided into an initial term of 28 years and a renewal term of 67 years.1 Works created prior to January 1, 1978, that were neither copyrighted nor fell into the public domain before that date are protected for the life of the author plus 70 years, provided (i) in no event shall the term of the ...

Edited by JNM5505
  • Love 2
On 10/19/2018 at 10:57 AM, Jillybean said:

I follow her on Instagram, where she's makeup free all the time, and I think she looks her age.  I think she looks good for her age, but I think she looks like someone in her 50s.  I mean, if she were lying about it, she wouldn't be the first person to lie, but I did see an interview once saying that while she doesn't have work done, she knows Karen does, so she tries to take care of her skin (although she would have had to have been taking care in the non-Karen years).  My mom is in her 70s and she has barely any wrinkles and she doesn't even use sunblock, so I'm willing to believe other people who claim they don't have things done to their faces.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 4
On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:03 PM, Duke2801 said:

Am I the only one, or did it seem like quite a jump from Grace and Noah sharing a pudding to them dating seemingly exclusively? Wonder if this is another “out of order” episode?

Me too.  I thought I had missed an episode leading up to this.

• Love 2
On 10/19/2018 at 9:46 AM, ButterQueen said:

When Beverley Leslie rolled up on his tiny bike, I had to pause the tv I was laughing so hard.  He and Karen are comedy gold.

I am loving David Schwimmer being a guest.  He and Grace are great together.

Any scene with Will and Jack is fun.  Their friendship hasn’t changed a bit.

I think the show is great, and I am thrilled it’s back.

But this is Jack’s grandson.  His choice of a song was perfect.

Word about Beverly and Karen. So damn funny XD. And the cop innuendo he said to Karen about them being let out made my jaw drop lol. The episode as a whole was great. Loved that Karen learned a bit about caring for others and not just herself. Appreciated that she gave one of her bracelets to the immigrant so they'd have a chance to make it in the country.

• Love 1