Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E01: Stranger In a Strange Land

catrox14
  • Start Topic

SUPERNATURAL
“Stranger in a Strange Land” — (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)

ALL HANDS ON DECK – Sam (Jared Padalecki) enlists everyone’s help in trying to track down Dean (Jensen Ackles), who can literally be anywhere. Meanwhile, Castiel (Misha Collins) may be in over his head after meeting up with an unreliable source. After being drained of his grace in season 13, Jack (Alexander Calvert) is adjusting to life as a human, learning new skills and figuring out how he fits in to this world of hunters. Thomas J. Wright directed the episode written by Andrew Dabb (#1401). Original Airdate. 10/11/2018

• Love 2

I don't think I've ever gone into a new season with such trepidation.  I'm thrilled and excited to see Jensen's portrayal of Michael, but then there's the rest of it....

Anyway, PVR is set.  Good luck to all Dean fans.  Sam and Cas fans too.

PLEASE DON'T LET IT SUCK is my mantra for the day. 

• Love 8

That just might have been worse than Bloodlines.

At least we know why they didn't share the SDCC clip with the general public. It was at least 50% of Michael's time on screen.

I did not believe for one minute that anyone was missing Dean. Nobody sold that. Nobody.

As @ILoveReading put it so eloquently on Twitter - all that was missing was for Sam to rip open his shirt and show us the big "S" on his chest. He literally told demons to leave, and they did. Anybody who wants to run Hell has to 'go through him'. OMFG I knew Dabb was a Sam girl, but I swear he made Sera Gamble look like a hater in this one.

Not even Jensen could save this kind of drivel.

• Love 19

A lot of Sam this episode, mostly because Dean is possessed by Michael and is preoccupied with building an army of sorts. But Jared Padalecki did a really good job here. I enjoyed watching Sam's struggle. Sam seemed so defeated and so sad. The moment where he killed the demon that was trying to be king and told the demons to essentially fuck off was a strong moment. I felt like it was partially a meta moment where Sam was addressing the showrunners, pleading with them to stop rehashing the same plot (King of Hell) over and over. We're always seeing some subplot of the king of hell doing shady shit, whether it's Crowley or Kentucky Fried or Lucifer, even when the subplot makes no sense to be around in an episode. For example, look how often we got forced with Kentucky Fried last season when he was a waste of time. So hopefully, we can move on to something else other than the King of Hell. I'm sure Michael will cover that with his army.

The little Jensen-as-Michael we got, it was pretty good. I enjoyed seeing him act as a different person. There were a few moments where I knew it wasn't Dean, and I think he portrayed the scary demeanour of Michael fairly well. I enjoyed his scene with Jo as well. I'm sure Jensen had a ball acting one-on-one with Daneel. 

I miss the days when Cas wouldn't get overpowered in seconds by a group of demons and where he could stand on his own. I guess, to be fair, those were a lot of demons, but Cas should have acted earlier than he did.

Jack got a haircut! And...doesn't have his grace? 

And...Mark Pellegrino is back, but as Nick. I like Mark, I do, but I'm always fearful for the return of Lucifer so I cannot feel comfortable with Pellegrino back. Even if I enjoy Nick, I fear that this good character for Mark to play won't last long. Sorry, Mark, but I really didn't need you to make a reappearance. 

But that ending. Vampires? Really?

• Love 8

Agreed, gonzosgirrl.  And I'm sorry, but Danneel on my screen is almost as bad as Mary. So flat, so blah.  Do not like this version of Bobby, either.  HIghlight for me was Sam telling Mary to shut up more or less.  

• Love 5

Hooo boy.  That was a hot mess, IMO.

First the good stuff.

Jensen killed that opening scene. That was fantastic.  There is no Dean in his performance. And he was in the episode for exactly how long we figured.  All of 10 minutes at most. HOT DAMN he flung that dude across the room with a snap of his fingers.  I shouted and victory armed.  100% I did. So that's pretty much the only good stuff for this viewer.

Demons just fled because Sam killed the not Crowley and then he his foot down on there being no new King of Hell. Well, shit! If that was all it took, why didn't Sam yell at demons sooner????? .OKAYYYYYY SHOW.  Whatever. LOLOL I legit LOL'd and not because I thought it was awesome. It was stupid. IMO.

The most intriguing moment was when wannabe Crowley said someone came to ask him what he truly wanted in life. So either that's a HUGE coinkydink or Michael visited him.  I sure hope it's the latter.

And fuck this show for the Nicksuit being alive because the archangel blade wasn't designed to kill the vessel?  WHAT THE FUCK LOL. 

• Love 8

Oh yes, and further to a discussion from earlier - Dabb, proving once again that he doesn't give one single fuck about canon, forgot that Cas had the magic egg at the end of LOTUS. So much so in fact, that he had Sam EXPLAIN to Cas what it was.

Seriously, the only thing harder than being a Dean/Jensen fan watching this episode would have to be being a Cas/Misha fan. Apparently angels can't see demon faces anymore. Or put up even a token fight against them. OMG.

• Love 13

I find it hard to believe that demons are scared of Sam Winchester.  OK, maybe in a one on one fight.  He has shown dangerous in that area, but come on.  Sam can not demand that there be no king of hell or else.

I think this is the first episode where either Sam or Dean don't appear at all.  That's said to me.

I am intrigued about exactly what Michael is up to.  I kind of like that he didn't come in all guns blazing, but is planning something more slow?  Or intricate?  Or hard to describe sicne I don't know what it is.

Not loving the bunkerful of hutners.  I do kind of like Maggie, though.  we can keep her and Bobby and everybody else can hightail it.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

And fuck this show for the Nicksuit being alive because the archangel blade wasn't designed to kill the vessel?  WHAT THE FUCK LOL. 

Man, all those meatsuits that died by angel blade since S4 are gonna be pissed. LMAO!

• Love 11

How does Jensen do that with his eyes?  They weren't Dean's eyes at all. So flipping cool.

It was a meh episode.  We've seen it all before.  And vampires?  Really?  Mindless vampires?  Michael can snap his fingers and waste the planet but he needs an army of vampires?  

And then there's the forgotten EGG!  Maybe dufus Cas had it for breakfast. (Remember when Castiel was something?) 

• Love 6

I missed the first few minutes of the episode, so I'll watch it again in a day or so.  I miss Dean.  I know many here were clamoring for Jensen to play someone else, but no Dean leaves a big hole in the show for me.  I may be in the minority, but I hope the Dean as Michael part of our story doesn't last more than a few episodes.  

I knew instantly it was Mark P., and my heart sank.  Yes, right now he's Nick, but I have zero confidence he'll stay that way.  Oh well...we knew it was too good to be true.  

Sam (Jared) played his part well.  I like seeing Bobby, even though I know many don't.  I hope Jack can get it together.  Depressed Jack is no fun to watch.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Seriously, the only thing harder than being a Dean/Jensen fan watching this episode would have to be being a Cas/Misha fan. Apparently angels can't see demon faces anymore. Or put up even a token fight against them. OMG

Don't get me started on musical chair powers.  That was absolutely ridiculous.  But, it's not the first time an angel or demon hasn't realized someone is an angel or demon after walking right by him.  Sooooo annoying.

Not only is Sam's theory of the blade not killing the vessel ridiculous, but Nick died in Season 5 when Lucifer ditched him for Sam. Crowley even said he dug up the vessel, right?  

• Love 7

Exactly what we expected. Samnatural starring SammySue Winchester with a side of Mary Susan Winchester. Cas was useless.  A lame ass fight with an annoying demon trying to be Crowley that took up way too much time only to highlight SammySue Winchester.

Oh, and three short  scenes of Michael!Dean-the first of which was the Comic Con scene and the best thing about the episode, IMO; with the scene with Sister Jo a runner-up. Jensen brought the menace beautifully in those scenes, but the vampires being the only race worth saving was a true spoiler and it's so Dabb, as was this entire episode. He hardly wrote for JA/Dean as we expected and the rest of this one was completely skippable. 

So if you're a Dean fan and you didn't watch, don't bother. I'm sure someone will post the 5 minutes of  screen-time that Dabb afforded the character in this premiere. 

What a jerk.

Edited by Myrelle
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, Katy M said:

Don't get me started on musical chair powers.  That was absolutely ridiculous.  But, it's not the first time an angel or demon hasn't realized someone is an angel or demon after walking right by him.  Sooooo annoying.

Not only is Sam's theory of the blade not killing the vessel ridiculous, but Nick died in Season 5 when Lucifer ditched him for Sam. Crowley even said he dug up the vessel, right?  

Nick didn't just die, for all intents and purposes he disintegrated. Crowley remade the meatsuit - so there is no way he should have any of Nick's memories. It's ridiculous.

• Love 13
10 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

That just might have been worse than Bloodlines.

At least we know why they didn't share the SDCC clip with the general public. It was at least 50% of Michael's time on screen.

I did not believe for one minute that anyone was missing Dean. Nobody sold that. Nobody.

As @ILoveReading put it so eloquently on Twitter - all that was missing was for Sam to rip open his shirt and show us the big "S" on his chest. He literally told demons to leave, and they did. Anybody who wants to run Hell has to 'go through him'. OMFG I knew Dabb was a Sam girl, but I swear he made Sera Gamble look like a hater in this one.

Not even Jensen could save this kind of drivel.

ITA with all of this-especially the bolded part.

Dabb should be ashamed of himself, but I'm sure he's not.

• Love 7

Also, they changed the vampire's teeth.  It used to be that all their teeth turned spiky. But no, this guy was like an old school Dracula..  Canon means fuck all to this show. 

Why did Sam immediately recognize Jo's voice? And why did she say, "We have a problem"? Did Sam contact Jo? For all exposition Archangel Michael had to give....no one explained that connection.

And of COURSE they had Dean's mind think that Jo was a rebel....when she betrayed them?? Do the writers even remember what happens in their own show. That was rhetorical.  They know and don't care. 

Sigh.

5 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Crowley even said he dug up the vessel, right?  

I don't remember if he dug it up, but he squirreled the meatsuit away.  There should be nothing of Nick in there, like @gonzosgirrl said, he shouldn't have any memories....his brain was dead.  This is so stupid.

11 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Seriously, the only thing harder than being a Dean/Jensen fan watching this episode would have to be being a Cas/Misha fan. Apparently angels can't see demon faces anymore. Or put up even a token fight against them. OMG.

Yup. I am pissed about how they treated Cas in this episode.  It's absurd to the extreme. 

• Love 7

“ENOUGH. There will be no new king of hell. Not today. And not ever. And if they want the job, they can come through me. So what’s it going to be.”

So nice to see Sam FUCKING Winchester!

What was that weird accent Jensen was trying to do?

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Yup. I am pissed about how they treated Cas in this episode.  It's absurd to the extreme. 

ETA the only way this works for me is that this has always been an EmptyKeeper!Cas who doesn't seem to be able to heal anyone either.  Why didn't he heal Jack?  Why doesn't he heal himself? 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

And of COURSE they had Dean's mind think that Jo was a rebel....when she betrayed them?? Do the writers even remember what happens in their own show. That was rhetorical.  They know and don't care. 

Dean knew that Jo was working with Lucifer.  Michael might equate that with being a rebel.  Of everything else that happened on the show, that line didn't bug me all that much.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

And...Mark Pellegrino is back, but as Nick. I like Mark, I do, but I'm always fearful for the return of Lucifer so I cannot feel comfortable with Pellegrino back. Even if I enjoy Nick, I fear that this good character for Mark to play won't last long. Sorry, Mark, but I really didn't need you to make a reappearance. 

12 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

10 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Man, all those meatsuits that died by angel blade since S4 are gonna be pissed. LMAO!

7 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Nick didn't just die, for all intents and purposes he disintegrated. Crowley remade the meatsuit - so there is no way he should have any of Nick's memories. It's ridiculous.

I honestly think it's still Lucifer and he's lying or yup, Dabb completely retconned all of those deaths by angel blade. Stupid.

• Love 3

I agree with @gonzosgirrl  This episode was a hot mess.

I wanted to feel Dean's presence by his absence.  Instead I felt like everyone was going through the motions and at times seemed annoyed.  Especially Mary.  Sorry Sam Smith, I didn't by Mary's concern at all.

I thought Jared looked awkward through this whole thing.  They need to stop trying to turn Sam into Dean.  Dean's lines don't work when Jared speaks them.

That whole scene with the demons was beyond ridiculous as was the over the top Sam pimping.  If it wasn't' for a literal "oh look Shiny" moment Sam would have lost that fight. So why were the demons afraid?  They have powers and the one person in Sam's group that did was tied up.  Since when do demons need permission to do demon things or since when do demons listen to people yelling at them.  It's not a badass moment when you have to force a situation so badly.  It was about as badass a somone taking candy from a baby.

Sam and Dean could have saved themselves a whole mess of trouble if they only knew demons could be handled so easily simply by yelling at them.  We need Crowley back.  Then maybe demons won't be so stupid. 

Even though Jensen probably had about 5 minutes of screen time he stole the show.  There was no trace of Dean in that performance whatsoever.   I like the way Jensen carries himself as Michael.  He knows he's superior and regal.  It's good that Jensen reminded Dabb to let us see some of Michael's powers.   He was the only good thing about this ep.

Cas just lying there while he was beat up. - dumb

No one untying Cas so he could help- even  dumber

Bringing Jack along- dumber than dumb .  This is why Sam isnt' a leader.  They have to make the unpopular opinion sometimes.  It's not mean if they tell Jack he can't come, especially if he's going to be a liability. 

Sam seemed more worried about Nick then he did about  Dean.  Why do we have to have him back?  Why?

Cas was there when they used the Magic Egg.  Sam gave it to Cas.  Why is Ketch in London looking for it and why did Sam have to explain what it is.

Vampires.  Really?  They form families, communities, hold jobs, and care about their own.  Some don't want to harm humans.  If Michael know everything Dean does than he should know this.  I doubt Dabb put any thought in this at all. 

If I had to describe this ep in one one it would be Stupid.

I knew Dabb didn't care, but I didn't think he didn't care this much.  He brought it to an art form. 

Edited by ILoveReading
  • Love 8
Just now, Katy M said:

Dean knew that Jo was working with Lucifer.  Michael might equate that with being a rebel.  Of everything else that happened on the show, that line didn't bug me all that much.

Eh, I didn't get that from it but I see your point. Fair enough.

• Love 1

Really weak premiere.

A few things here and there have potential, namely Sam (Jared was fantastic) and Jack/Cass, but the show needs to get rid of all the bloat to let that shine, and I don't think that's going to happen.

WAY too many characters and still rehashing the same old shit : Cass fucks up, king of hell (boy that demon sucked hard), copy-pasted Bobby, Nick... seriously why is that guy still here apart from Dabb's undying love of Pellegrino. Also why the fuck is Jo still there.

Not much to say about Michael. Jensen's acting was fine. That last scene removed all hope I had that the writers might make him somewhat interesting or morally conflicted.

The way this is starting I'm afraid the only saving grace of this season will come from the standalones.

Edited by BoxManLocke
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, tessathereaper said:

The only thing worth watching in this episode was Jensen's Michael.  Everything else made no sense and for the most part the acting from the others was flat as hell.

IA. This was one stinker of a premiere, but for those couple of scenes. The worst ever, IMO.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Also, they changed the vampire's teeth.  It used to be that all their teeth turned spiky. But no, this guy was like an old school Dracula..  Canon means fuck all to this show. 

Why did Sam immediately recognize Jo's voice? And why did she say, "We have a problem"? Did Sam contact Jo? For all exposition Archangel Michael had to give....no one explained that connection.

Sigh.

The question to ask is why didn't Michael kill her?

• Love 4

I will say this, IF they manage to make it that the demons think Sam is the Boy King for some reason, then I'll buy them running away from him. Otherwise, LOLOL NO.  And FTR, I would be saying the same thing if that happened with Dean too. It's stupid and bad writing,IMO>

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, auntvi said:

“ENOUGH. There will be no new king of hell. Not today. And not ever. And if they want the job, they can come through me. So what’s it going to be.”

So nice to see Sam FUCKING Winchester!

What was that weird accent Jensen was trying to do?

I wondered about the accent too.  It wasn't as bad as Misha's empty keeper or alt Nazi cas, but it was distracting.  IIRC, original alt Michael didn't speak like that.

• Love 2
Just now, gonzosgirrl said:

The slo-mo in the demon fight was so lame I thought for a minute Speight was directing again. It really added nothing a scene that was already so OTT.

Which is really surprising because Thomas J. Wright directed and I can't remember a time that he did slow mo takes. 

1 minute ago, catrox14 said:

Which is really surprising because Thomas J. Wright directed and I can't remember a time that he did slow mo takes. 

I guess they really wanted to emphasize Bad Ass Mary? It was just laughable.

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

The slo-mo in the demon fight was so lame I thought for a minute Speight was directing again. It really added nothing a scene that was already so OTT.

Yeah, that looked like crap.

Just a continuation of the awful directing from the end of last season.

Looks like nobody on the crew is safe from sucking nowadays.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, lmdreamer said:

The question to ask is why didn't Michael kill her?

He didn't kill the demon.  I'm assuming that Michael was the one who asked him what he wanted.

3 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Dean's gonna be so pissed when he finds out they could've stopped all that demon nonsense years ago, if only they had stomped their feet and yelled at them.

Well, Sammy could've anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I think that was beyond stupid.  But, I think the point was that they were now without an effective rule, ie Crowley, Lucifer, Asmodeus.  so, it wouldn't have worked before.

• Love 1