Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E31: Omarosa Manigault Newman, Eddie Glaude, Steve Kornacki, Reihan Salam, and Rebecca Traister

• Start Topic

Reihan Salam is the poster child for the pundit who talks over everyone and as fast as possible. He seems to think he "wins" by doing that. He even interrupted Traister to agree with her. He just can't help himself. But he was actually "subdued" this week - for him anyway. And Eddie Glaude did a great job of keeping him in line. He seemed to realize he wasn't going to get away with his usual bullshit with that guy sitting next to him. (Love Glaude's glasses, BTW.)

I thought Traister made a good point about the whole "snowflake" thing - in that we validate the Republican narrative when we repeat their talking points. Bill is terrible about that, and he is just never join to get over being butt-hurt by the whole Berkley thing, and nobody is ever going to convince him that college kids aren't all "snowflakes." So he's actually part of the problem, buying into right-wing bullshit instead of fighting it.

Also, Glaude shut down that whole "snowflake" bullshit really well on Overtime, so that alone is worth checking out.

I know next to nothing about Omarosa except that she has a credibility problem, but I did think the interview was interesting. I thought the most important point was how far Trump's mental faculties have deteriorated in the last 15 years.

I hope everyone here stayed tuned for Pod Save America because it was excellent, and kind of made me realize the biggest problem with Real Time is Bill Maher himself. PSA has five reasonable people having a reasonable conversation without any crackpot pundits or cranky old men. A real breath of fresh air. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 15

I FUCKING LOVED Glaude shutting down both Salam (even though he was subdued for him as  @iMonrey pointed out) AND Bill. And I got what he was saying about Kelly(?) apologizing for his lauding Churchill, because of what Churchill did and that he was a racist snob, and just because he was part of getting rid of Nazis doesn’t erase that. So, STFU Bill.

But my favorite part was Rebecca’s look of disgust when she said she doesn’t consider Melania as some sekrit spy/hero, but that she’s just as horrible. And she, Melania, is still a Birther.?

I’m so sick and tired of Bill’s whining and cheered Glaude checking him and using Bill’s reporters reporting on Hurricanes to the media “reporting” on those “silenced” from speaking at college campuses. They go on to speak elsewhere and colleges have a wide spectrum of speakers.

The only part of New Rules I enjoyed was the last two minutes-how Obama was called a celebrity and therefore not ready to lead to ending with what he accomplished that turned him from a politician to a celebrity. Or something like that.

I can’t stand Omarosa so just fast forwarded through her interview. The fact that she was smiling and laughing throughout told me he was kissing her ass and thanking her for being brave to come on his show and for doing what she did.???? 

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 6

To everyone asking why Bill keeps having conservative trolls and vapid blowhards on, I think this show provides your answer. Do you think Bill had more fun when his whining about political correctness or whatever is met by agreement ("we don't agree on much, but I really appreciate seeing a promising progressive voice standing up for traditional Western values and being willing to criticize Islam instead of only Christianity" or an some talking point that is easily knocked down ("yes, but when are you going to admit that all the talk about man made climate change is political correctness too") or having his ass handed to him by people who are smarter than him, disagreeing with him and cogently pointing out all his fallacies and glibness? He knows he looked like a whiny little bitch(TM) when all he could do is try to point out that last week he was saying something different and smarter or complain that they won't accept his false premise as a starting point.

My feed seems to have cut off about 3/4 through so I came here to see if I missed anything worth hunting down the rest, but I guess not. Thanks @GHScorpiosRule!

• Love 5
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I know next to nothing about Omarosa except that she has a credibility problem, but I did think the interview was interesting. I thought the most important point was how far Trump's mental faculties have deteriorated in the last 15 years.

Omarosa goes into much further description in her book of Trump's mental deterioration since she's known him beginning with her appearance on the Apprentice.  And she is really not a big fan of White House Barbie and Ken.

• Love 5

I am not surprised that Ivanka is totally a daddy's girl. I appreciate that Omarosa owned up to saying that "bow down" was just stupid. I did laugh because Bill was getting pissy thinking she was going in another direction and then was, oh ok. 

I can't stand Salam. He's so vacuous and never really makes a point. 

There was way too much jawing away on the panel. Even if the guy in the middle was correct, it so much of him talking to get to the point. 

I kind of disagree with all of them. The dude was just using a quote to correctly illustrate the current political climate. That's it. Yes, our historical heroes were kind of awful people. I know that. You don't have to lecture me on Lincoln. 

I actually don't really think political correctness is actually a thing so I found the whole discussion to be kind of a waste of time. 

I completely agree that people should be held accountable for what they say and do, but I think dying on the hill of a Churchill quote is kind of proving Bill's point. 

I felt like everyone was there to just do their deal and not actually be on the panel. 

I appreciated the midshow guest being coherent and addressing Bill's points. 

The bill for advanced nuclear was very much a bipartisan bill and should have been leading the news, but no one has talked about it. 

Yes you pick where you speak. BECAUSE COLLEGES AREN'T OBLIGATED TO PROVIDE YOU PLATFORM. 

Go set up a chair in Sproul Plaza and you can say anything you want. But then you wouldn't be getting headlines for all the drama you're whipping up. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 4

Traister spoke in a lot of jargon. but she was dead right, and I was so happy that the whole panel shut down Maher's whiny anti-political correctness crap that he's been spouting for 25 years.  Lots of time I watch this show for the guests, because I know Maher will be his usual entitled, libertarian, asshole self.  Omarosa joins the long list of right-wing idiots Maher invites to prove his bonafides, joining Bannon and that Milo guy.

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, atlantaloves said:

Let's face it, this was a bad episode. 

To anyone else wondering if it’s worth watching in its entirety, the answer is no. Everyone else already summed up everything you need to know about it. I’ve got nothing else to add. ??‍♀️

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, crookedjackson44 said:

Traister spoke in a lot of jargon. but she was dead right,

The problem is, both her and the middle guy just kept circling around and around and around with so much verbosity that their points were largely lost. She went on some jag about voter oppression and Bill only said, 'we can be concerned about more than one thing. I was asking about this right now.' Just say you think it's a dumb thing to talk about if that's what you mean. She was much much more plainspoken when commenting on the white women voters and on OT. 

The effort the guy put into deconstructing Lincoln before he could actually quote him is preposterous.

Guess what? A lot our history is old white dudes who weren't really that great. You have absolutely every right to state the facts. That doesn't mean saying "I guess being magnanimous in victory like Churchill said doesn't apply to the gop after the soctus vote" requires a dissertation first. "hey Churchill was a racist jerk". "Yes he was. Also not quite relevant to the context of the initial point." 

It was such a weird subject to me for them to be all revved up about. What I would have thought would be more relevant would be Meliana's safari hat in Kenya. 

I would say watch Omarosa - Bill didn't even call her brave and she didn't pull any punches. New Rules was ok. There was no mid show bit, and the guest was actually interested. The panel proper was just bad. Even Bill was basically saying it. 

• Love 6

I loved this ep.  Bill was dead on- yes Churchill had two faces, that doesn't mean he might not have said something worth quoting, fuck the people who don't see nuance.  Traister was especially on the money with her points on white patriarchy.  I loved Omarosa's tid bits on the First Crooks.  And Obama in New Rules!  Swoon for me.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Maherjunkie said:

I loved this ep.  Bill was dead on- yes Churchill had two faces, that doesn't mean he might not have said something worth quoting, fuck the people who don't see nuance.  Traister was especially on the money with her points on white patriarchy.  I loved Omarosa's tid bits on the First Crooks.  And Obama in New Rules!  Swoon for me.

I can see nuance just fine. I don’t see why Churchill needs to deified.

That said, if people are going to quote someone famous or even tweet or post something on social media, then they should have the fortitude to stand by what they “said” instead of backpedaling or apologizing for what they believe because they get backlash.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I can see nuance just fine. I don’t see why Churchill needs to deified.

That said, if people are going to quote someone famous or even tweet or post something on social media, then they should have the fortitude to stand by what they “said” instead of back peddling or apologizing for what they believe because they get backlash.

Ironic that Bill typically lacks nuance. 

I don't think Churchill should be deified, but I don't feel like Bill was defending him, like "how dare you criticize Churchill". I feel like I'm missing something with this whole situation because the entire ensuing discussion was such a mess. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Ironic that Bill typically lacks nuance. 

I don't think Churchill should be deified, but I don't feel like Bill was defending him, like "how dare you criticize Churchill". I feel like I'm missing something with this whole situation because the entire ensuing discussion was such a mess. 

He sort of did when he interrupted Glaude by saying “this is the guy that defeated the Nazis!” Or maybe it was “got rid of.” That came off to me like because of the role he played in WWII, he should be exempted from any and all criticism.

• Love 2

The fact that Reihan Salam was talking about Steve Kornacki as though he wasn’t even in the same freakin building as he was only exemplified and highlights what a dumbass he really is.

I am glad to read that the rest of the posters found this episode bad as well.

I felt so stupid (legitimately stupid, as in “did I fall and hit my head in my sleep?”) while watching the three panelists because I had no idea what in the hell they were talking about. Zero. Nothing. Nada.

I should’ve known better, but I figured it was just me until I read your posts. Thank you all for validating that these loquacious guests were talking way too much - you all saved me some time with a shrink this week!

• Love 4

I do think Churchill was an important man in history who played a significant part in stopping Hitler.  He also was a very flawed man who did some shitty things.  Both of these things can be true.

I don't have a lot of respect for the guy who folded and felt the need to apologize for his remarks about Churchill.  Show some back bone instead of back pedaling.

I felt Steve Kornacki was totally short changed - I find him very intelligent and he knows his stuff and that obnoxious ass Salam took all his airtime away.

• Love 7

What I got from this is that Melania is horrible, less than Trump himself but still horrible.

And white women will back white men, not other women like Ford.

And a lot of Hispanics support Trump, because economy is heir top issue, no immigration or health care.

• Love 1

Scott Kelly backing down from his quote of Winston Churchill because some people thought Churchill was a racist prick is political correctness gone too far. But that's never been why Bill keeps whining about it. He just wants an excuse to say awful, horrible things, like the n-word, for whatever reason and not be held accountable for it, which is why he lamely keeps on making up excuses for why it's bad, like how Drumpf and Republicans keep on winning and Democrats keep on losing. So good for people like Eddie Glaude and Rebecca Traister for putting Bill in his place about his anti PC bullshit.

I quite agree with Bill's New Rules sermon - and quite surprised for him about Michael Avenatti. I would have thought Avenatti was someone Bill would have wanted in office. But he should have expanded it more. New Rule: You don't get to run for the highest office in the land without any elected government experience whatsoever. That means no Oprah, no The Rock, no Ah-nuld, and NO FUCKING DRUMPF!!!

Don't think I'll have any interest in watching Bill's 25th anniversary special next week. It seems to have the makings of Bill giving himself a blowjob. And I'm not looking forward to the following week's show as he's got that dirtbag Anthony Scaramucci on.

• Love 7

We'll have to see if the anti-establishment thing from 2016 is still a thing in 2020.

The diehard Trump supporters won't buy that he restocked the Swamp or made it far worse.

Economy is great but does everyone feel it?  After all, a big part of what worked for Trump was this sense of white grievance, that the country was favoring minorities at the expense of whites.  That is what they used to ram Kav through, that the accusations against him were part of some unjust or unfair general attacks on white males.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

That came off to me like because of the role he played in WWII, he should be exempted from any and all criticism.

That's not the take I got - quoting Churchill because he was an important historical figure even though he wasn't a great person doesn't require a huge apology and a retraction was all. 

3 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

New Rule: You don't get to run for the highest office in the land without any elected government experience whatsoever. That means no Oprah, no The Rock, no Ah-nuld, and NO FUCKING DRUMPF!!!

I tend to agree, but not to split hairs, Arnold was governor of CA for a while, so wouldn't think it's a big deal if he ran (aside from not being able to constitutionally). I don't know if I would vote for him, but he is/was serious about the environment and climate change and actually knows something about policy and governance. 

I wouldn't really want to fault someone who genuinely thought that they could go some good by running for office regardless of their profession. 

A lot of the blame falls on the voters, frankly, being ignorant or just having irrational hatred and getting conned as well as the other ignorant half with the "both are just as bad" canard and not voting. If voting were mandatory, they could have made a difference. It's not like Trump wasn't completely stupid and just lied his way through the campaign. More than half the voters agreed. 

1 hour ago, scrb said:

The diehard Trump supporters won't buy that he restocked the Swamp or made it far worse.

Totally. That's why more people need to vote and make their votes count less. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 6

She went on some jag about voter oppression and Bill only said, 'we can be concerned about more than one thing. I was asking about this right now.' Just say you think it's a dumb thing to talk about if that's what you mean. She was much much more plainspoken when commenting on the white women voters and on OT. 

Well, I think she had a legitimate reason to call Bill out on his nonsense because the question he was asking was "why do Democrats lose?" and his own answer was "because they are too politically correct." Her rebuttal was that Democrats lose because Republicans have all the mechanisms in place to insure they do: voter suppression, gerrymandering, and the electoral college. I agree with that. I think political correctness is a problem but I don't think it's quite the problem Bill thinks it is. Moreover, it speaks to something we both harp on regularly: that the right wing knows how to control the narrative, and people on the left, like Bill, too often validate that narrative and buy into it.

However, the combination of Eddie Glaude and Rebecca Traister on the same panel was perhaps not an optimal one, especially when the third panelist is someone like Reigan Salam. That's a little too much butting in and cutting in.

• Love 4

I agree too, but that's not really what she said or how she said it. And, I do think Bill was correct in saying we can be concerned about more than one thing at a time. There's a long list of factors why they lose, and Bill was asking if political correctness is one of them. It's not, really, and they could have said that clearly rather than a 5 minute lecture on developing a personal relationship with Lincoln before tweeting a quote of his. 

They could have just said, 'no, that's dumb. The fact that 50,000 people in GA can't vote is a far more pressing issue than a Churchill quote.'

• Love 6

Catching up for this month that I paid for HBO.  

Now granted, I watched this after reading Omarosa's book (which I thought was very good), so I'm a lot less anti-Omarosa than previously.  I thought she did fine, she mentioned several things that she went into more detail in her book, like how much trump has changed in 15 years, and why she stuck with him due to loyalty until she just couldn't anymore.  She did good by admitting her comment of 'bowing' was stupid, but she was high in the win at the time.  My only criticism is that she laughed too much at Bill's jokes, which cut into her time actually explaining things.  I'd love to see her on a panel at some time.  She does have a unique perspective on trump that I think would bring good commentary.