Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E02: Meet the New Boss

wknt3
  • Start Topic

Gormley looks to Danny and Baez for help tracking down a former NYPD detective he believes may be a threat to Frank's safety. Also, Erin navigates office politics when she chooses to reopen a closed case; Jamie is transferred to a new precinct with a lot of problems; and Frank and Baker team up to investigate a complaint about an SVU detective.

Eddie doesn't want to be transferred to Jamie's station because she wants a little space from Jamie because he is a Reagan?  How about she shouldn't be working with her boss?  How about they discuss her transfer to his station before he puts her on the list?  

This episode was certainly timely in showing how men and women can view sexual assault differently, although the show  certainly didn't deliberately plan the timing.  Good thing Baker was at lunch when the sex crimes cop stopped by or he might have gotten away with his "I was just following procedure" excuse that Frank completely bought.  

• Love 4
7 hours ago, buckboard said:

Eddie doesn't want to be transferred to Jamie's station because she wants a little space from Jamie because he is a Reagan?  How about she shouldn't be working with her boss?  How about they discuss her transfer to his station before he puts her on the list?  

How about the fact that they were arguing with Frank during a couple of episodes about how they should be able to work together, there's is nothing in writing prohibiting it, blah blah blah. Eddie sure changed her mind about that quickly. 

The actors that play Eddie and Jamie don't have any chemistry. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 2
51 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

If my significant other and his family pulled that lame "code blue" bullshit on me I would have gotten up and walked out. 

Yeah, I didn't appreciate that scene at all - nor the implied dis on Linda. 

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 6

I liked the episode better than last week..  Still didn't get the turnaround in Eddie's thinking, it was a nice scene at the bar though.  I have a feeling she (the writers) will flip flop again.  Not perturbed by the code blue, it was a fun scene. Although it looks like Frank is not a fan of the scheme.    Yay Baker!

Edited by dirtydi
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, buckboard said:

7 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

How about the fact that they were arguing with Frank during a couple of episodes about how they should be able to work together, there's is nothing in writing prohibiting it, blah blah blah. Eddie sure changed her mind about that quickly. 

The actors that play Eddie and Jamie don't have any chemistry. 

They had originally talked about staying together at work, so I can understand why Jamie put her on the list. I thought Eddie's line about needing some distance from him because he is a Reagan was her sort of telling him it was because he would be her boss. It was saying it without directly saying it. Also, she could have changed her mind. She thought it was a great idea and what she wanted until she started to think about the reality of the situation and all of the long term implications for her career and realized it was a bad idea. 

The idea of Jamie as a disciplinarian who is going to whip the precinct into shape is laughable. Jamie is great, but has anyone who made this decision met him? I hate to call him an overgrown boy scout, but it's not too far off from who he is. That being said, it will be fun to see him in a leadership role. In my head, I see him growing into a Frank Furillo type from Hill Street Blues.

They way Danny idolizes Henry is facinating. I get the oldest son rebelling against his father and wanting to be different. Isn't there a saying about how grandparents and grandchildren often bond because they have a common enemy? On another level it's frightening. I can't help but picture Henry as a detective and the stuff he did and got away with because back then, the rules didn't exist/weren't enforced if they did exist, and almost no one cared as long as they got the job done. Henry as a detective is what would happen if Danny were allowed to operate with almost no limits at all. It's terrifying, and almost something I would love to see in flashbacks. 

• Love 3

Mixed bag episode. I can foresee Jamie having a problem with his new boss in the future. The guy seems a bit shady. Also, when did all those new faces become part of the D.A.'s office? Did we ever see the guy (Whitney?) who is Erin's boss's boss. And who were they talking about when they referred to the deceased female ADA?

5 minutes ago, preeya said:

Also, when did all those new faces become part of the D.A.'s office? Did we ever see the guy (Whitney?) who is Erin's boss's boss. And who were they talking about when they referred to the deceased female ADA?

The Manhattan DA’s Office is the size of a medium law firm, so it stands to reason that we’d see various ADAs from time to time. 

That being said, I also don’t recall seeing Whitney before, nor did the name sound familar. The deceased ADA was Monica Graham, who was Erin’s immediate chief and friend for the previous two or three seasons. Monica was executed at the beginning of last season’s finale, and passed in Erin’s arms in a truly brutal scene. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, kurtz said:

The Manhattan DA’s Office is the size of a medium law firm, so it stands to reason that we’d see various ADAs from time to time. 

That being said, I also don’t recall seeing Whitney before, nor did the name sound familar. The deceased ADA was Monica Graham, who was Erin’s immediate chief and friend for the previous two or three seasons. Monica was executed at the beginning of last season’s finale, and passed in Erin’s arms in a truly brutal scene. 

OK I rewatched last season's finale. Now I recall Monica's murder. She was played by Tamara Tuni.

• Love 1

I didn't mind the episode much, but it wasn't a favourite.   While I didn't love the Code Blue tactic (and I would have been at the point where I would have flipped the table), at least it wasn't about anything else that happened in the episode and wasn't weighed down in politics.

Two things of note for me:

I think as Erin starts tackling more of the ADA stuff, I'm wondering how much will be as a result of Monica looking the other way due to her boss and will be forced to act on.

Jamie was sent to a precinct that has an "attitude issue" and now has to whip them into shape?  Meh.

Complete aside: does Danny and Baez even have a Sargent to answer to? 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 10/6/2018 at 3:38 PM, dirtydi said:

I liked the episode better than last week..  Still didn't get the turnaround in Eddie's thinking, it was a nice scene at the bar though.  I have a feeling she (the writers) will flip flop again.  Not perturbed by the code blue, it was a fun scene. Although it looks like Frank is not a fan of the scheme.    Yay Baker!

Yeah that whole plot doesn't really make sense. NYPD doesn't have a policy saying you can't directly supervise someone you are romantically involved with? I thought there was a line last week about how policy covered that, but not being partners. I do have that same feeling - I'd hope that they'd go the Nicky route with Eddie and just have her at Sunday dinner and toss her a plot or two a season, but they do seem determined to make her happen.

21 hours ago, mtlchick said:

I'm pretty sure that once they decided that Robert Clohessy was too good an actor to waste on being ignored by Danny every week and moved Gormley over to the commissioner's office that they pretty much gave up on the idea that Danny answers to anyone other than himself, God, and Frank - not necessarily in that order.

Edited by wknt3
  • Love 3

The RPD (Reagan Police Department) seriously needs to put cameras in their interview rooms. Such utter horseshit from this show sometimes. 

I like Jamie and Eddie. They make a good couple. Yes, it's nice to see sizzling chemistry onscreen but I can live with what they have because they're two similar and very likable people. If they'd been a couple from the beginning of the show we'd have had no problem with them together. I don't think Danny and Linda were a hot couple but we accepted them and she was good for him and the kids.

The Game of Thrones viewer in me is just afraid that they'll whack Eddie this season for dramatic purposes. Get her integrated comfortably with the family, then come November or February sweeps, she runs into an ambush and doesn't come out, or something like that. Maybe dies in Jamie's arms. Or worse, Danny's. 

What I like about Eddie is she's now the Everyman character that viewers can both relate to and get comfortable with. That was Jamie for the longest time, but now it falls to her, with Jamie's promotion to Sgt. 

• Love 5

And who were they talking about when they referred to the deceased female ADA?

I'm thinking that was Tamara Tunie's character, who was shot in the street while talking to Erin.

I thought it would have been funny if Baker had given Frank a deadpan look and then flipped him off in that last scene. Seemed like the thing to do. (And he would've reacted the same way.)

• Love 3
5 hours ago, wknt3 said:

NYPD doesn't have a policy saying you can't directly supervise someone you are romantically involved with? I thought there was a line last week about how policy covered that, but not being partners.

Yes, you are correct. Here's a quick clarification just to make it clear. When Jamie and Eddie were talking about being romantic partners and partners on the job, they held the same rank. NYPD did not have a rule on the books preventing that situation. This is the situation Jamie and Eddie were in when the season started. Shortly after the season started, Jamie is promoted and would have been directly supervising Eddie. I think there is a rule on the books preventing this, but I am not 100% sure.  

• Love 1

For me this episode was OK but Jamie as a hardass, no freaking way. I like the Jamie and Eddie dynamic. IMHO they have had chemistry for a long time. But I'm a man so my spin on romance is a tad bit different. And Danny and Linda for me never had chemistry.

Loved the "code blue" as it was something my future inlaws more or less did to me.

Frankly I'm tired of Erin, the DA's office and the story lines.

Wish they would find a love interest for Frank. The man has got to be horny.

• Love 3
On 10/6/2018 at 1:17 AM, buckboard said:

How about she shouldn't be working with her boss?  How about they discuss her transfer to his station before he puts her on the list?  

My exact same thought.  Didn't make one bit of sense to me that she didn't tell Jamie after all that bru-ha-ha about working together at the dinner table the other week.

• Love 3
On 10/6/2018 at 11:45 AM, Camille said:

I hate those "Secret Test Of Character" scenarios.

"We're/I'm going to gang up on you and treat you like crap to see if you've got the guts to stand up for yourself!"

aka: "Bullying."

21 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Only when they need one for a plot point.

• Love 7
23 hours ago, mtlchick said:

While I'm not 100% sure I would think detective grade officers report to the precinct OIC (which Danny and Baez seem to do) while the rank and file report to a sergeant.

17 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

Yes, you are correct. Here's a quick clarification just to make it clear. When Jamie and Eddie were talking about being romantic partners and partners on the job, they held the same rank. NYPD did not have a rule on the books preventing that situation. This is the situation Jamie and Eddie were in when the season started. Shortly after the season started, Jamie is promoted and would have been directly supervising Eddie. I think there is a rule on the books preventing this, but I am not 100% sure.  

It's one thing to work with a partner you become romantically involved with initial but working even at the same rank as a married couple to me makes no sense. You are with them at home and then all day on the job. Maybe newlyweds initially think it good but in the long term I think it would be bad, especially in a job like being a cop with daily life and death situation. Just my opinion.

As for Eddie being transferred to work under Jamie if the NYPD would authorize that I'd be surprised.

• Love 2
On 10/7/2018 at 10:41 PM, mojito said:

I thought it would have been funny if Baker had given Frank a deadpan look and then flipped him off in that last scene. Seemed like the thing to do. (And he would've reacted the same way.)

I wanted her to throw her shoe at him.