Type keyword(s) to search

Life Below Zero - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Andy and Kate work on training the sled dogs; Sue worries about predators and fuel usage during an interlude of warmer weather; and the Hailstones are prevented fro ice fishing when the river fails to freeze over.

Thursday, May 22st at 9:00 PM EST.

Edited by nottopbravo

First, I had to FF through everything Eric, but not fast enough to avoid his wolf kill, which breaks the heart of an old softie Canuck who cut her teeth on the words of our recently dearly departed Farley Mowat.

I truly enjoyed seeing Kate, Andy and the dogs with their recent acolyte. Methinks Cody may have caught that inexplicable Alaskan bug.  Me just loves the doggies, woof woof.

So our already super-predator-hyper-vigilant Sue is on a plane spotting more predators?  Good for strategic planning, bummer for those already tiring of the constant predator patter.  I still can't believe a 50 y/o fat chick does what she does, so I'll say it is better to err on the side of caution ...

Fucking love Agnes Hailsone's bleeps, and her whole fucking family.  :-)

Fucking love Agnes Hailsone's bleeps, and her whole fucking family

This is the funniest part of the show.  I don't remember her swearing in earlier seasons, however. 

Interesting that they're adding characters to the show.  Andy and Kate have Cody, and I wonder if they'll introduce some explorers to Sue's winter camp Kavik.

• Love 1

I wonder why Sue doesn't keep some OTC med on hand just in case of an emergency.  Seems like she was ill prepared to handle this (if the fall wasn't staged).   And does the doctor just prescribe meds based on her phone call?

I thought the bit about Glenn and the bear was a bit of a dud, and was just about stretching out the drama. 

It was priceless to see Agnes beaming when she and her children finished the seal vest.  Nicely done.

A herniated disk is nothing to laugh about, it is PAINFUL, and I do believe that Sue was not dramatizing it. She was practically in tears from the pain. What I'm not sure about is how long she can stay out there on her own without getting surgery for her condition. If she can't protect herself, what's the use?

I don't doubt for one minute that Sue was in some real pain.  She does NOT want anyone to see her crying or exhibit any weakness.  Just the way she was moving made my back hurt like a motherfucker.   :-)

As usual, I loved watching Agnes working with and teaching her girls; I like the break from all the hunting & fishing (yeah, I know, I know).

• Love 1

I don't know, I don't think Chip is an ass at all. There are apparently laws that prevent him from doing certain tasks because he is not of Native American descent. He always seems so supportive and proud of Agnes and their kids, and really interested in preserving their way of life.

• Love 3

Sue heads to a nearby town to buy an all-terrain vehicle; Chip chops wood to heat his stove; Andy and Kate teach their apprentice how to earn money while living in Alaska; and Glenn melts snow for his water supply.

Thursday on NatGeo.

(edited)

Nearby town?  She's miles and miles and miles from any town, isn't she?

I agree.  She is miles and miles away (or so we're told), but I got this direct from the episode description.

It also depends on your definition of "nearby".

Edited by nottopbravo
(edited)

According to the caption, the nearby town, Deadhorse is 80 miles west of Kavik.

Question..how come the new guy's eyelashes are the only ones that freeze up?  Nobody else's does that...It makes for a really freaky affect...

Edited by katycat74

It makes me wonder if everyone else has developed antifreeze in their bloodstream. His face is sometimes encrusted in ice and it does not seem to happen to anyone else.

So no way in hell would I go outside to bathe when it's -20. OSM Dad remarked that there was probably nothing of Glens to blur out, because in that cold it would have shriveled up to where you couldn't see it anyhow.

• Love 3

Sue has a shiny new toy - that vehicle was totally cool and looked like it would be fun to drive.   I was surprised to learn that when the wind blows really hard it buckles the structures and pops the doors open - yet another maintenance headache she has to deal with.

Glenn is certainly hard core if the lower limit of his bathing weather is 40 below with no wind.  That scene made me shrivel, and I don't even have man parts!

Oh, and who's brave enough to have dinner with the Hailstones?  Not I.

• Love 2

Sue has a shiny new toy - that vehicle was totally cool and looked like it would be fun to drive.   I was surprised to learn that when the wind blows really hard it buckles the structures and pops the doors open - yet another maintenance headache she has to deal with.

Glenn is certainly hard core if the lower limit of his bathing weather is 40 below with no wind.  That scene made me shrivel, and I don't even have man parts!

Oh, and who's brave enough to have dinner with the Hailstones?  Not I.

Great minds think alike, walnutqueen!! Although they're interesting to watch, I'll pass on dinner, thanks anyway!!

New guy is fairly entertaining to watch but I miss Andy, Kate and their marvelous dogs! 

I wouldn't eat at the Hailstones, either. 

Sue will enjoy her new toy, for sure! 

I wonder how many hours it took whatshisname to chip out that hole in the lake?  He worked his butt off!  The shower scene was hysterical. 

I must have dozed off because I missed how Sue got that new toy home.  Certainly not on the plane.  Did she drive it home?  Would take a lot of gas.

When Chip was describing their dinner, I wanted to gag.  Seal oil poured over that mess.  Yuck.

Bathing outside would be the last thing I'd do.  How about an all-over spit bath in the cabin?  It would take longer 'cause he'd have to keep changing the water, but bathing in the snow? I'm surprised ice didn't start to form on his bare body.

I wondered the same about Cody.  I don't remember seeing snow and ice on Andy's face.

Sue makes the long journey back to Kavik with her new all-terrain vehicle; Kate and Andy's apprentice tries to survive on his own; Chip and Agnes' daughter sets traps by herself; and Glenn works on building up his wood stockpile for the winter season.

On NatGeo.

I must have dozed off because I missed how Sue got that new toy home.  Certainly not on the plane.  Did she drive it home?  Would take a lot of gas.

Based on this Thursday's episode description:

She drives it all the way back to Kavik.

2 days to go 80 miles?  That vehicle either goes 3 miles an hour in it's 'warp speed' mode, or there is some serious terrain they didn't show us.

I can't help but adore Sue. 

• Love 1

There is something pretty fucking cool about getting home from a trip to town and having your wild fox friend greet you.  :-)

I don't know how much Andy charges for his "training camp", but he certainly has a wealth of knowledge and skill to teach, and that young man seemed to be very happy with the experience.  I loved how Andy said it reminded him of his own early days, when falling in love with Alaska and the adventure of it all was such an exciting experience.  Kate is just such a sweet lady - always smiling and happy.

Watching Chip with his daughter was nice - I actually think he's a good teacher, and he seems to be patient and understanding.   Also, he doesn't seem to talk down to her in any way; this is a little girl who is growing up with some self esteem, I'd wager. 

• Love 1

I empathized with Sue when her new vehicle started making that squealing noise in the middle of nowhere, at night, in the cold. I guess the closest I'd ever come would be to have to call AAA (something she mentioned wasn't quite an option--no kidding) but being stranded sucks whether in Alaska or on Rt 80. Of course she did have a camera crew with her but still...and crossing that semi melted river was harrowing. I half expected her to kiss the snow ehn she got to the far bank.

Andy--I wish some of my teachers knew as much and Chip and Agnes seem like great parents, they really do. Glen remains a bit too hard core for my tastes but if it works for him...

• Love 1

I have watched Swamp People since its beginning (although it is showing its age now, IMO), and the other day I told my DH that I thought it would be cool if the folks from the bayou switched places with the folks from life below zero to see how well each group would be able to adapt to the different environment - kinda like "Celebrity Wife Swap" for extreme living.  Both groups seem to have such a "can do" spirit and don't seem to let anything life throws at them defeat them.

Andy really toned down the asshole part of his personality with the new guy. I'm sorry he's gone. I really liked him. And as always, Sue rocks. Those little tracked vehicles aren't built for speed. They only go about 5 mph.

You're probably right, Silversage, but I'd assume that the only other possible way to get it back home would have been to rent a trailer of some kind and tow or carry it back which--if even possible--would have cost a fortune. I suspect driving it was the only practical way to get it where she wanted it. Hire a plane to fly it in? Yikes--at what price?

Sue is a hoot and her happiness at seeing the fox greeting her was a sweet thing.

• Love 1

I think I figured out what bothers me about Chip.  He is so smug about how he is not dependent on anyone, but the truth is he is very dependent on the Native community that he married into, as he is not allowed to do much of the work needed for survival.  Discovery had a show called Yukon Men, where a white man had married into a native family.  The Yukon guy was much more bearable then Chip as he felt no need to give lectures about how superior his life style is to us poor slobs.  Actually besides Chip, no one else on this show feels the need to do this,either.  Everyone else acknowledges that they have chosen a hard road and that this is not a life that most people could take. Also, unless Chip makes his snowmobiles and guns out of caribou hide and seal oil, he is still very much dependent on the goods and services provided by the outside world.  My children might not understand what I do at work, but they also are not worried about me falling through the ice or getting injured by one of my own fur traps.

I do like Agnes and the kids.  I could live without seeing Chip's fat dopey looking face ever again.

• Love 5
Chip is planning to go hunting with his son Jon, but when Jon still hasn't arrived hours after their departure time, the family becomes concerned. The unpredictable weather in Kavik threatens Sue's ability to gather basic resources essential to her survival. In Eagle, Andy and Kate begin training new lead dogs to take over for the aging Iceberg, the current veteran lead. The bears in Chandalar will wake from hibernation, so Glenn prepares an emergency shelter should the bears destroy his cabin.

I read something very interesting about Chip and Agnes recently.  I'll have to check to confirm it's legal to post it.  It was about their net worth . Man, I was shocked.  I haven't figure out how it's possible, since I thought they fought starvation from month to month.  Apparently, their seal skin goods bring a pretty penny or they own a lot of valuable real estate.

How the hell does a snowmobile overheat at -30?  That poor little girl looked miserable, but was cute as a button.

Sue:  I love her.  And I think Sue died 20 years ago - Death is just afraid to tell her.  In a fight between Sue and Chuck Norris - Sue is kicking his ass.

if life below zero means developing a taste for moose fat...I want no part of it! 

• Love 1

I adore Sue, but I am concerned that she does not have a very realistic idea of the risks she is taking with her self imposed exile.  She's not young and she has health issues, some that effect her mobility.  Just the idea of pain pills, handling dangerous equipment, no backup, etc.  It's not good, imo.  Of course, I don't think she's going to change, but I suspect something terrible may happen.  We'll be reading about it here.

I do sense there is some staging and set ups on this show, but I try to ignore it.  It's still pretty enjoyable, IMO.

I wish they would take those foods that are being consumed to a lab and see just what is in them.  Worms, parasites, etc.???  I guess their systems have developed immunities and it doesn't bother them.  

• Love 1

Best part of this or any episode for me is to watch Andy and Kate with their dogs.  Those animals need their own show!  Just watching them run and enjoy themselves makes me smile.

• Love 2

I'd like to have an entire episode devoted to Sue in the summer season.  She must make a lot of money from her paying hunters and fishermen to afford her heating fuel, her equipment.....everything that is flown in.  Is her camp filled with guests during the summer months?  Does she have help?  Does she feed them three meals a day?  And where does she get fresh produce and dairy products?  I think I've seen enough of how she lives during the winter.

• Love 1

She has a Facebook page, and you can ask her questions and she's very interactive with her fans. She's got a lot of guests right now in Kavik. "ologists" as she calls them. And she feeds them really well. She's apparently a bit of a foodie.

• Love 2

Sue has concerns over an incoming showstorm; Andy attempts to retrieve supplies from a frozen river that's breaking apart; The Hailstones prepare for a hunting trip; and Glenn tracks a wolf.

On NatGeo.

Eh, married couples snipe at each other sometimes - they seemed to get over it pretty quickly.  Chip did tell Agnes she's always beautiful, and made her giggle, so I guess it works for them.

Andy cracks me up.  "Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.  The 5 P's."  I guess Piss-poor is hyphenated.  :-)

AKraven it's not just you. I'm finding Andy less of an asshole this season. And Chip more of one. Telling Agnes he wanted coffee... I'll out something special in your coffee asshole... Special ingredients.

As memory serves, Agnes was simply closer to the thermos than Chip was. He was doing whatever he was doing. It was frigging cold and he'd just driven the snow machine however the hell far he'd driven the thing while Agnes was riding, wrapped in furs.  'Doesn't make him an asshole in my book.

Andy's okay and Kate clearly adores him (and vice versa). This just looks to me like two long time couples who get each other and have worked out their relationships.

And Sue knows 7 languages? You go,  girl!

• Love 3

I'm officially in love with Sue. She's having so much fun and getting so much done with her new vehicle. She's the antithesis of those vapid, spoiled, willfully-ignorant housewives, and thank god for that.

There's something off about Chip. Whereas the series' other participants tend to talk about all kinds of stuff, Chip mostly talks about what he can get from the land and the animals. We see him doing chores at times, but he strikes me as a freeloader and entitled. (Yes, I know about the natives' sole rights to certain hunting and fishing privileges that limit his rights. That doesn't explain his behavior.) I want Chip to shut up so I can hear his wife talk; I'm way more interested in her. He's constantly telling her what to do and how to do it, when she's clearly very skilled and capable.

How do these folks get their fiber? All we see them eat during the cold months is meat.

Some of the arctic villages have become very wealthy from mineral resources, such as oil and gas. One of the villages I have worked with has gone from poverty-sticken to wealth in a couple decades. I wonder if Agnes receives substantial royalties.

The Washington Post had an interesting story about a special congressional budget earmark where the U.S. Postal Service is subsidized (by taxpayers) to fly in goods to Alaska. Without it remote Alaskans would not be able to afford the transportation costs for some of the goods they receive, such as groceries (Diet Coke!) in the remote villages. The cost is a drop in the bucket comparied to the rest of USPS' budget, but there are some who are criticizing it and trying to end the arrangement because the postal service is in trouble financially.

• Love 4