Type keyword(s) to search

03.01 In the Same Boat

Former international CIA operative Wesley Cole returns home and assumes duty as a police officer with the LAPD. Cole will find himself navigating a new partnership with Murtaugh, as he adjusts to life in Los Angeles. Meanwhile, Avery continues his campaign for city council.

I'm watching. I'm having trouble with "grieving Roger" considering the news was full of them hating each other, IRL. But I'm giving it a chance. I don't know how long they'll last, considering it's up against This Is Us.

Edited by Anela

I didn't *hate* it and a couple of times I chuckled. But it's still not sitting well with me. I feel like they should have just had this guy play Riggs instead of a new character. I liked seeing Cahill mourning Riggs. That felt genuine at least. I hope she sticks around and doesn't just disappear now that Riggs doesn't need her anymore. 

It all feels weird. I like Sean William Scott, although I never saw the films that I think he was most famous for (American Pie). I just remember him from when I was younger, and having seen him over the years. I like Maggie Lawson, too. I missed parts of this, so I'll have to watch it again. It was nice to see his ex and daughter give him a chance. I missed why they were apart.

So new thought, so beware folks, this is just my opinion.

I have liked Clayton in the British show Hustle, -that guy would have been the perfect Magnum by the way.

But I stopped watching due to his story line, TWO SEASONS of the same angst always unresolved.  It was actually boring.

So tonight I was primed for something different and I really enjoyed the show.  I like the new actor he seems to be able to project irony, humor and serious stuff......

The plot on the other hand...…..

An ex CIA agent is a meter maid????????????????????????

And after 2 or 3 days is now a DETECTIVE????????????????????????????????

Okaaaaaaay then, but I moved on and enjoyed the rest of the show.

I want some snark, some humor and a resolution.

This seems to fill the bill.

I will be back.

No need to be wary. :) 

I missed Roger getting arrested, because the guy thought he was homeless. I only heard a woman talking about not having a bag for her dog poop (I was in the kitchen, with wireless headphones on). 

I read a review where them skipping six months was weird.  But I actually felt like all of the stuff surrounding Riggs felt weird and awkward. I get why they did it because the audience who isn't aware of it would want Riggs dealt with.  But I think this show will flow a bit better once they put him in the past.

Otherwise, there was enough to keep me interested in seeing the partnership develop. 

I take it Harper is in the attic with Chuck Cunningham and some guy from All My Children. I guess having a toddler around would be too much to deal with on the show.

I'll give a few weeks before I make up my mind. Was not happy when in the first 5 minutes they have a kid die. I kept hoping the kid would show as a hallucination of Cole's later in the episode. Maybe in future episodes. I wonder what kind of dysfunctional family background Cole comes from. He can't be too normal if he likes chaos.

15 hours ago, MsFlibbles said:

I take it Harper is in the attic with Chuck Cunningham and some guy from All My Children. I guess having a toddler around would be too much to deal with on the show.

She was in the first Murtaugh family scene. I was surprised she was still in a baby chair.

I actually liked best what I thought I wouldn't, meaning Cole's family situation. The whole "family" had good chemistry. I loved the actress who plays his ex (Maggie Lawson?). Imo, she managed to nail in a couple of scenes what the writers never managed with Cahill over two seasons; a female voice of reason who doesn't sound like a humorless killjoy or an enabler. I so hope she and Trish have scenes together.

I did like Cole, a lot. He isn't Riggs at all, and I liked his rapport to chaos although it was stressed quite heavily. I had never seen Sean William Scott in anything, I was favorably impressed. I'm not surprised he's a comedy actor mostly, since I appreciated his comedic timing. He made me laugh several times.

I could have done without the meta about replacing Riggs, but it was necessary I guess. Many casual viewers had probably no idea.

I would have loved to see more of the secondary characters yet they should have a bigger role now that the mess is cleaned-up. I'll keep watching.

Edited by Happy Harpy

I liked the way they handled Riggs death. Wayan really showed some depth by exposing his partnership with Riggs. As for Cole, he is no C.C, but a good replacement. The writing was on par as in the past, so I'll keep watching . Someone in this forum said the writing was dumb..in certain scenes. If you want dumb with a capital "D"...try this for size. On another show, it was in a preview mode, where 2 women are talking and one says to the other, "I'm Pregnant", whereas the response from the other asked, "with a baby????". Can you believe that? Writers get paid for that?

I really enjoyed it a ton, just like I did the first and second season. I was open to Seann's character though and the changes that were going to be made this season. Grieving Roger is understandable and while I expect him to remain reflective at times, I doubt this will continue past this episode just as he was at the end. For me, I'm fairly certain that Cole's personal life storyline is going to be an upgrade because I had definitely tired of Riggs'. The first season, I understood more what they were doing with his wife and all that. But the second season, the dad stuff was not my favorite to say the least and I felt like it dragged and infiltrated too much of his storyline, and while I didn't dislike Molly at all, I didn't like her anywhere near as much as I did Karen Palmer (Hilarie Burton). So, I like Seann's character a lot, if this was how the series had started, I'd be on board, so no reason for me not to now.  And we get Maggie Lawson out of the deal, who I love.

Trish remains my favorite. I really liked how Maureen was used in this episode. I wasn't expecting it, but I should have and thought it was very well done and I'm happy to see they'll continue to involve her in a similar manner. I'm definitely going to miss Avery as the captain, but look forward to a return to the increased screen time that Bailey and Scorsese were getting last season.

I don't care about him getting fast tracked to detective. I'm not even sure it's the most out there idea. He was sent to them from the State Department, someone else could've gotten him the placement given the connections they are suggesting he has. Riggs had zero seniority in the LAPD as well but had a father in law who could pull some strings for him. I'm not seeing much difference, so no complaints from me on that.  The only thing I didn't like was the hospital scene at the beginning. There is no way that an officer down call being taken to the hospital and being operated on would result in just Roger sitting there waiting on news from the doctor in the emergency room. While Riggs didn't get along with everyone, he was very much part of that department and precinct, so even if they didn't pack the waiting room like they should've making it standing room only, the seats should've been full awaiting the news with Roger. It was odd that they didn't do this, and really stood out to me as unnecessarily unrealistic .

It really is Mindless TV and it's just as good as anything else that's on right now. I always felt like the Rigg's character was way too heavy and depressing for the type of show that it is and I was just exhausted with his family drama. I have never seen the other guy in anything except maybe a movie with The Rock and I don't think I watched all of that. I have nothing to compare him to so I suppose he did a pretty good job. The fight scenes with the hand to hand combat look pretty realistic. I missed what happened to the captain, is he leaving the show? Other than that I could care less about the off-screen drama and can't believe people decided to not watch because of it.  I do like Keesha Sharp As Trish and I would like to see more of the female Detective and her partner. Did he come back?

I’m not sure what I thought about it. It was better than most of last season, but I didn’t like it as much as most of the first season.

I was prepared to dislike the new partner because you certainly can't get away with replacing the lead singer in a band as far as I am concerned. Also, while I know they didn't re-cast Riggs, replacing him with someone who is going to be like him but not quite is very soap-opera. I also read a bit of the behind the scenes drama and I got the impression that while Clayne Crawford might have lost his temper from time to time, Damon Wayans was being a diva.

However, having watched the first episode of the new Lethal Weapon, I find I like it. As regards Wayans, you wouldn't begin to guess at behind the scenes drama from the way he acted out his grief and I was very impressed by that. I almost cried with him and this is not a tear-jerker show!

The new guy plays a convincing bad-ass and does not come across as a comedian trying to play a heavy. Instead he comes across as sympathetic and like he's genuinely trying to rebuild himself after a trauma. Which leads me to my main realization in all of this which is:

Riggs was an asshole! He didn't really care who he hurt along the way and watching him avoid dealing with his trauma was getting tiring.

Speaking of soap operas, we did not actually see a body so this show could pull a 24 and have a team of Navy SEAL trauma surgeons whisking Riggs away so that he can make a shocking comeback if/when the actors reconcile. Now I won't miss Riggs if he doesn't come back but at the same time it would be interesting to see how Riggs would interact with the new guy.

Really like the new guy! I only know a few brief things about the bts drama so I didn't have much of an impression about any of the actors, however last season I was getting sick of the constantly sad and tortured Riggs who was always one step forward, three steps back. 

The writing was solid for Cole in this episode. His character seems to have more hope than the Riggs character ever did. I just hope they don't fall into the Riggs trap and make him a really tortured soul. 

One of my favourite things about this show is how in character they always keep Trish! Her knowing Avery was talking to Murtaugh made me laugh and remember last season where I totally thought she was kidnapped on the plane and then it turns out she talked her way out of it (sooooo in character but surprised me! I adored that moment).

12 hours ago, catrice2 said:

I would like to see more of the female Detective and her partner. Did he come back?

I've read somewhere he was let go. He's only listed as recurring S2 on Wikipedia.

5 hours ago, dwmarch said:

Which leads me to my main realization in all of this which is:

Riggs was an asshole! He didn't really care who he hurt along the way and watching him avoid dealing with his trauma was getting tiring.

Ah, it wasn't just me. I wondered if maybe, the poor attitude of the actor had tainted my view of the character. I loved Riggs and his maverick ways (until I stopped watching, around mid-season 2) and it was unsettling to find him so entitled and dismissive.

1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

One of my favourite things about this show is how in character they always keep Trish! Her knowing Avery was talking to Murtaugh made me laugh and remember last season where I totally thought she was kidnapped on the plane and then it turns out she talked her way out of it (sooooo in character but surprised me! I adored that moment).

This Avery/Trish moment was pure gold. Well, Trish is pure gold anyway. But this one was particularly excellent.

Edited by Happy Harpy
On 9/25/2018 at 11:12 AM, paigow said:

Dude has no seniority...hope there is some police union rule exposition....

Well it never started off like Southland or The Closer/Major Crimes so  things like rookies with PTSD riding alone with no obvious police training is par for the Lethal Weapon course.

That said it was a nice comeback. I guess that I am back in. I guess that "I'm too old for this shit" still doesn't play on the legacy broadcast networks

The whole point of Riggs, was that he was grief-stricken, suicidal and impulsive, and intense. They had him moving on, in a better place, and then killed him off - so you never got to see him truly happier and healthier, as you did in the movies.

As someone who has been suicidal, I appreciated that they didn't just make him fine. 

Edited by Anela

I finally got around to watching this, after dropping the show early in S2 (way before the drama occured, and solely because I'd had enough of the Riggs manpain and angst. For the record, I loved S1).

I loved it. I've always liked Seann William Scott and I thought he came in hot. Surprisingly badass during the fight scenes, effortlessly funny (funnier than most people would be in a role like this, and I mean that in a good way), charming, solid in the dramatic moments. So much better than I was expecting, and I'm a fan to begin with. I also thought he had instant chemistry with DW. They were really funny together, but the somber moments landed too. Maybe a certain (adversarial) spark was missing, but it was replaced with a kind of pleasant warmth.

On 27/9/2018 at 12:18 AM, Happy Harpy said:

I actually liked best what I thought I wouldn't, meaning Cole's family situation. The whole "family" had good chemistry. I loved the actress who plays his ex (Maggie Lawson?). Imo, she managed to nail in a couple of scenes what the writers never managed with Cahill over two seasons; a female voice of reason who doesn't sound like a humorless killjoy or an enabler. I so hope she and Trish have scenes together.

I did like Cole, a lot. He isn't Riggs at all, and I liked his rapport to chaos although it was stressed quite heavily. I had never seen Sean William Scott in anything, I was favorably impressed. I'm not surprised he's a comedy actor mostly, since I appreciated his comedic timing. He made me laugh several times.

Agreed. I, too, liked that the ex-wife(?) wasn't just a nag who didn't get it, she was also a skilled professional and she wasn't heartless, just appropriately cautious. And there were some great moments for Keesha Sharp, too (who remains stunning, by the way). I totally agree, I would love for them to interact. Both sets of families got some great moments and I just... liked everyone? That's a nice feeling.

On 27/9/2018 at 10:43 AM, dwmarch said:

However, having watched the first episode of the new Lethal Weapon, I find I like it. As regards Wayans, you wouldn't begin to guess at behind the scenes drama from the way he acted out his grief and I was very impressed by that. I almost cried with him and this is not a tear-jerker show!

The new guy plays a convincing bad-ass and does not come across as a comedian trying to play a heavy. Instead he comes across as sympathetic and like he's genuinely trying to rebuild himself after a trauma.

I agree with all of this, too. Both actors came off really well. As the episode ended, I thought "I would gladly watch a season of these two together". Which is the same feeling S1 of Lethal Weapon gave me. So I'm in.

letter-c.png

You know, when I heard Stiffler was coming to Lethal Weapon, I thought I might want to give this a second chance.

I watched a few episodes before and thought, though Damon Wayans was great (as always), I didn't feel there was too much chemistry between him and Clayne Crawford, and the writing for LW is pretty weak.

...but, perhaps with a natural comedic talent like Sean William Scott and the end of Crawford's "reign of terror" over the show, perhaps the show could get back on track.

I don't think it really did.

Wayans did knock it out of the park grieving over Riggs and getting gradually more crazy as he developed a conspiracy theory in his head over Riggs' murder. Plus his depressed but relieved sigh after learning the truth about Riggs- that his brother shot him- was very palpable.

Then there was Scott, who was instantly and so effortlessly charming and earnest. He more than proved he could be a great dramatic actor and has more to him than just being a frat boy who only knows toilet humour.

The rest was just...plain.

The pacing was off, the other characters didn't do much, explosions were kind of random. Nothing in this story really grabbed me like it should- if it weren't Scott and Wayans elevating their material, it wouldn't be worth watching at all.

The tone felt more like a mid-season filler episode than a "second pilot", which this episode was really supposed to be.

I guess if I'm charitable I'll say there's something the show could build on with Scott and Wayans. They really do play well off each other and both have natural timing.

I'm just not sure the writers are up for that task.

I'm out.  I tried watching it and just couldn't get pass the new guy as a lead character.  The franchise is Riggs and Murtaugh.  Without Riggs, there is no "Lethal Weapon" as he WAS the lethal weapon.  Maybe if they'd changed it title, it would have been more acceptable to me.  Oh well, I tried.

I like he new guy.  I like the episode somewhat.  You can tell there is a difference, the chemistry among the whole cast is a little bit off.  But honestly, it was more fun than watching most of season two which, in hindsight, the chemistry felt off then too.

I will say I was really over Riggs' issues midway through S2.  And that has nothing to do with what was going on backstage,  I was over his issues way before we ever learned about the drama. Adding on his daddy issues coupled with being betrayed by his BFF all that angst.  It felt like overkill almost.

One reason I liked the new guy is they gave him some background and some issues but they seem like they are different enough from Riggs while still being a little damaged.  They didn't try to make him Riggs 2.0.  I liked his family dynamic as well.

Wayans did a great job, you felt like he was grieving.  I like the route they went with the conspiracy theories and showing how much Riggs has rubbed off on him in he two years.  I am cautiously optimistic they'll find the fun of S1 that they seemed to have lost in S2.

The family stuff was super boring to me. If I'm going to watch a middling written procedural I'll do the 'work families' of NCIS's - can't stand the Seal Team "So you're saving the world instead of my PTA meeting." little wives soap opera stuff.

4 hours ago, crowsworks said:

The family stuff was super boring to me. If I'm going to watch a middling written procedural I'll do the 'work families' of NCIS's - can't stand the Seal Team "So you're saving the world instead of my PTA meeting." little wives soap opera stuff.

I was hoping that the new guy wouldn't have a family so that he might be a little more reckless. It seems like Rog is also being the reckless one, it was hard to tell which one always puts his life in danger and which one just wants things to go peacefully until they can retire, they seem to switch back and forth.