Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Let's Rap, Yo!

• Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

• Introductions
  • Off-topic chatter
  • Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1. Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about
  2. Look for an existing topic that matches or fits
  3. If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

• Character topics
  • Episode topics
  • Season topics
  • Spoiler topics
  • Speculation topics
  • In the Media topics
  • Favourite X topics
  • ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

I was intrigued by Cookie and Lucious' discussion re: The Nation of Islam and the apparently contentious relationship he had with them. Even Cookie seemed wary of them. I know little of the NOI so can anyone elaborate on this? Is this an issue in the hip hop community or the AA community in general? This is not the kind of things that are brought up on Days of Our Lives or Revenge!

• Love 2

I'm all for different body types being displayed on TV but I am really worried about Gabby Sidibe's weight. She looks like she can barely walk.

I hate seeing her on screen, because she looks so unhealthy and also very uncomfortable in anything she has on (not just on this show, but also when she was American Horror Story); she's always tugging on and adjusting her clothes.  I don't think she needs to be as skinny as the other actresses, or even skinny at all, but she needs to do something.  Now, if her doctors have said that she's healthy at that weight, then more power to her, but I doubt it.

Edited by luckyroll3

Obese people are rarely shown on scripted TV, so she's already an anomaly. Most of the "larger" body types shown on TV seem to be beer-bellied men or average-sized women.  I also think the costume design person/team has no idea how to style Gabby.  She carries most of her weight on her upper body, so you have to know how to style for that.  She's hit or miss on the red carpet, but when she's a hit, she looks nice without looking stuffed into her clothes.  And while I don't think she should be relegated solely to long sleeves, I'm not a fan of no sleeves, either.  The worst part of her look is her hair and makeup.  It's awful. 

I haven't watched the latest episode, but from what I have seen, I like how the show hasn't felt the need to comment on her size.  She's fat, there's no hiding it, but she's a person just like anyone else.  There was a scene in a club, where Michael and Becky were sitting together, and he had his arm around her.  Very small, irrelevant moment, but I liked it.  It's an example of not treating her like some kind of different species because she takes up more space.

I hate the name "Becky," though.  It's so jarring.     

No comments on her health - none of my business, and speaking from personal experience, fat people can be more healthy than expected. 

• Love 3

No comments on her health - none of my business, and speaking from personal experience, fat people can be more healthy than expected.

*gets on soap box*

98% of the time this is not true. Over weight maybe but severe morbid obesity like Gabby, highly unlikely. That type if weight damages the heart leading to hypertention and congestive heart failure. It affects the knees and the hips. people with severe morbid obesity also suffer from hyperlipidemia, chronic edema, lymphedema and have a higher risk for stroke.

*gets off soap box*

Sorry, it's just that I've seen too many 20-25 year olds in the hospital with the above need permanent pacemakers with automatic internal cardiac defibrillators because of the damage caused by their weight. Heart muscle can not be regenerated once damaged.

Edited by BestestAuntEver
  • Love 2

How many 20-25 year-olds have you seen with the above medical issues?

Too many.

Twenty years ago basically the only 20-25 year olds you saw were those with congenital disorders. The numbers have slowly increased over the years with a major jump the past 6-7 were I live.

At my facility we see at least 10-15 new patients a month with the above needing implantable devices. In our system we are the hospital that has the euipment (CT,MRI, Operation/catheterization table) that allows us to treat individuals over 400lbs. Those less than 400 can be treated at the other facilties in the system.

It just gets to me because the illness dictated life style changes, prognosis/life expectancy are sad for indivduals so young.

ETA: I don't believe everyone has to be rail thin. I dont even think everyone can be thin. It just isn't in the makeup/DNA for some. I just want them to be active and as healthy as they can.

Edited by BestestAuntEver

It was also before NPH came out to the general public.

Harris came out in 2006, which is when Brady's character was introduced. I knew I remembered it because it was a "funny" behind-the-scenes kind of thing.

Harris came out in 2006, which is when Brady's character was introduced. I knew I remembered it because it was a "funny" behind-the-scenes kind of thing.

I wasn't clear, NPH was cast as Barney Stinson before he came out to the general public; guess I didn't think it was interesting/funny that Wayne Brady was cast because numerous straight actors have played gay characters.

Question for everyone... At what moment did you realize you were hooked on 'Empire'?

For me, it was when that Bib came out.

I knew I was hooked when Cookie went upside the head of that disrespectful son of hers!

• Love 4

I was hooked from the start - it was Cookie!  I have so much love for this show I've actually avoided reading the forums so I just enjoy my own experience with it.  Needless to say, I'll be doing a whole lotta reading hereabouts after the season finale!  :-)

WRT homophobia and mental illness in the black community:

My brother-in-law is a pastor at a "Missionary Baptist" church, as is my sister-in-law's ex-husband.  The two are very dissimilar in outlook, in these matters.  The b-i-l is homophobic, and seems to think that mental illness is the work of the devil.  The ex is very open of gays, and is very enlightened.  (The b-i-l is also pro-torture, which disgusted me.)   So even in two black churches, there is a wide range of thought.  It's my impression (which could easily be wrong) that there are more black Baptists like the b-i-l than the ex, but I think that more and more and more are becoming accepting (possibly faster than the white Baptists).  (Also, it seems to me that more black Christians are Baptist than any other denomination -- I'm not sure how AME compares, though -- whereas white Christians are scattered through Lutherans, Methodists, Episcopalians, etc)

Take these for what they're worth, which is not much!

Happy Finale Day, everyone! How are you watching tonight?

Heeeeeey!  chile in my pajama footie onesie with a slice of banana cream cheesecake and a full goblet of Bartenura.  ;)

p.s.  yesterday,  "drip drop" started playing on my Pandora and I literally did a Jamal Lyon two step in the street.  I was like whaaaat? I didn't know the music was out, for real. lol.

• Love 4

Happy Finale Day, everyone! How are you watching tonight?

I've been on the road for four days,so with any luck I'll be in my PJs on my couch with a glass of wine in one hand and my phone in the other (to chat with my friends watching the show).

• Love 2

*gets on soap box*

98% of the time this is not true. Over weight maybe but severe morbid obesity like Gabby, highly unlikely. That type if weight damages the heart leading to hypertention and congestive heart failure. It affects the knees and the hips. people with severe morbid obesity also suffer from hyperlipidemia, chronic edema, lymphedema and have a higher risk for stroke.

*gets off soap box*

Sorry, it's just that I've seen too many 20-25 year olds in the hospital with the above need permanent pacemakers with automatic internal cardiac defibrillators because of the damage caused by their weight. Heart muscle can not be regenerated once damaged.

*Gets on soapbox*

As someone who has been morbidly obese all of my life and have suffered from NO co-morbidities, except for painful knees that was relieved by ibuprofen. Not to mention, I also smoked. No high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, in fact I've alwaybeen known as fat and healthy, and a mystery, but not unheard of by the doctor's. I am now 40, I am not as morbidly obese, and I quit smoking more than 7 years ago. I've slowly lost a lot of weight, and I still don't suffer from any of the HBP or diabetis. Everyone fat isn't unhealthy, and everyone skinny isn't healthy.

• Love 3

I just need to say that I was surprised at how hooked I got on this show. I thought it would be over the top - Dynasty style silliness, but I really like this show. And yes, Cookie beating Hakeem with the broom was one of the highlights for me. 

• Love 1

Ok, so I finally started watching this show after knowing very little about it other than that it was fairly acclaimed and popular. 

The setup kept feeling familiar, and I knew there was a Shakespearean thing going, but it took me way too long to realize that what it really resembles is The Lion in Winter, and Cookie is Eleanor of Aquitaine. I kept trying to shove it into Hamlet somehow (damn you, Sons of Anarchy). 

I have absolutely no doubt that everyone else figured this out, like, in episode one, however many months ago. It took me until episode six, and about 45 seconds ago.

Posting this in smalltalk because of its basic lack of groundbreaking insight. :)

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 1
At what moment did you realize you were hooked on 'Empire'?

In episode 2, when Cookie came to Lucious' mansion and Anika walked out in her underwear in front of Cookie and Lucious, I said to myself, "Oh, it's going to be that type of show? I'm SO in!"

• Love 1

On THIS show it doesn't have to be that way, but it's still steeped in colorism.

I think for colorism to be smashed, racism would have to end as well as white supremacy, because to me, that's what colorism is about.

True, even now I think you are starting to see attitudes change about the attractiveness of black women. Its a Promethean battle, but women like Kelly Rowland, Kerry Washington, and even the great Naomi Campbell and Lupita N'yong (spelling) are making it so that black women are seen as more "normal." There is a long, long, long way to go but at least there is something.

To be honest, I really hadn't noticed this -- thanks for bringing it to my attention. Colorism matters very much, and the way black women are treated makes my heart hurt.

Racism, especially "status quo racism", definitely needs to end.  Getting people to see status quo racism (such as #BlackLivesMatter) is extremely difficult.

RCharter, you left the amazing, astonishing, wonderfully delightful (and SEXY) Viola Davis off your list.  Hang your head in shame. I would also add Nicole Beharie to the list.

• Love 3

^^I only lifted my shame filled head to read your post.  You're right, I forgot the talented and amazing Viola Davis.....the list is getting so long and I'm getting so old.....I think I'll take a quick nap while my head is already hung in shame..... :)

• Love 1

As for colorism, for the most part light-skinned women are love interests while darker hues are relegated to positions of subservience.  It's not even subtle.

Edited by LydiaMoon1

Just wanted to add that this egregiousness is not limited to Empire.  Most so-called black shows not run primarily by black women are guilty.  It's very disheartening.

Edited by LydiaMoon1