Type keyword(s) to search

Mayans MC - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 9/26/2018 at 1:34 AM, Dowel Jones said:

So Papa Reyes is not Papa Reyes.  I was so hoping that, in his collection of young EJO photos, he would have one of himself and Sonny Crockett.

If it turns out that this is all a Miami Vice sequel, I would explode of happiness. 

So Coco actually had a daughter, which his hooker mom insisted she raise? It seems like he wasn't around about her being better off putting her up for adoption, she doesn't exactly seem like great parent material.

Gee Emily, its almost like when you marry a leader in a drug cartel, he might do some nasty things! I do wonder if it was her husband who ordered the poor nuns death, or the uncle? He probably knew about it, but it the uncle really calling the shots? 

I agree that we need more backstory on the club, and the members. Besides EZ, his brother, and Coco, we dont really know much about them, nor do we know much about how the Mayans work, or what it would mean if they fell apart. This show is rushing so fast, we need some more backstory before we rush right into the plot. I wish we could have had business as usual for a bit before the kidnapping and the club possibly starting to struggle with leadership.

I'm intrigued to see what happened in Papa Reyes' past & get more info on him & the boys. 

Was not expecting EZ's handler to be a relative.  I do think he threw up because he had to threaten a relative.

I can't imagine it was part of Emily's plan to kill the nun (I'm assuming it was the one from the video)  

So Coco has a daughter - this could be very interesting especially knowing he wanted his mother to put her up for adoption & she didnt do it.

Hopefully we will get more info on the other members of the club soon 

Man, the MC going all paramilitary, with the hand gesture and all in the dark, cracked me up. So ridiculous. 

What exactly was the club’s goal when they picked a fight with military side at his shop and then when they “rang the doorbell?” Was there a plan there? 

So Emily will be breaking bad now? Wait, I thought the killing of the traitor nun was her plan? To blame it on the rebels? So why did she and Galindo man look surprised? 

Have to admit, intrigued by the DEA agent and what he knows about EJO... and the agent’s reaction to playing hardball. Also, I was hoping for some Lt Castile images! 

Edited by Ottis
  • Love 1

Interesting episode, with a lot going on. I agree with others that it would have been nice to have a few episodes to get to know the club before all hell started breaking loose, but what the hell, I'm enjoying it. The different scenery, languages, the whole vibe helps this show stand on it's own. I don't actually think of SOA much during the show.

I liked the scene with Bishop and the Mayor. I imagine having to work in that area between the gang and the cartel might be just a wee bit stressful. 

The tall SEAL(?) guy was scary. 

Was Alvarez actually suspicious of Angel already, or just letting EZ know he has to put the club first? I missed a couple of lines there. Angel is my favorite right now, and I swear he'll get himself killed before the season is up. Lying once again to Bishop and the rest of the club? Dude.

Wow, EJO backstory coming up. I hated the cousin/handler before, but I felt for him a bit this episode.

More Coco please. Interesting that the club doesn't know more about his actual life. And that's how the daughter found out he's her dad? Yikes.

I am NOT liking that Galindo already knows about Adelita. I don't think he really ordered the hit, though I think he's totally capable of it. He may be conflicted, but he's capable of horrible things.

And Emily...she is way too nervous, or fidgety, or something, all the time. I'm not sure how to explain it. I don't know if that's just how the actress is, or her voice inflections, or what. But it's distracting.

More Coco please. Interesting that the club doesn't know more about his actual life.

Coco's life is what made me start wondering about the strength of the Mayan brotherhood. Aren't they supposed to pretty much know everything about each other? I thought the MC was #1 in your life and everything else secondary, so them not knowing basics about him was strange. 

But like was mentioned above, we were given the origin story for SAMCRO and until we get something like that for the Mayans it's just a big question.

• Love 2

So far I am finding Coco and EZ handler the most interesting characters. I want to learn more about EZ's handler. He obviously cares about EZ and his family, but is caught between a rock and a hard place. I liked him playing hardball with the father. I honestly think that he wants to save EZ. Coco's childhood must have been hellish with that mother. She is a nasty piece of work. 

Edited by SimoneS

Yay! I'm not surprised. I think the show has a lot of potential and I'm in. The cast is great and hopefully the show will delve into the characters a bit more.

Edited by CrazyDog

I watched the first season of SOA hiding out in my bedroom so my kids didn't know what I was watching and I never mentioned to friends how much I loved the show. I was immediately hooked on the show from the get go. I was in my 4th season before I could convince my husband to watch it. 

Just watched the first episode. We had decided to record a few and binge watch. However, one episode was all I could sit through. I don't recognize JD Pardo from any other work, and wasn't impressed with his acting in the pilot, Very flat. Hoping that improves if I decide to watch another episode.

As soon as I saw the Gemma cameo, I immediately realized why I wasn't as engaged. There just isn't any character that comes on screen like she did and you think "hell, this will be fun". She goes from her opening scene of planning family dinner, concern at the hospital for her son and grandson to the visit with Wendy and threatening her and leaving her with the drugs.  

There was just no humor to balance out. With the pilot of SOA you had the deer through the car scene early on and the vegetarian having to cut it out with a chainsaw, Clay joking about Jax putting 2 in the back of his head, and then at the end having Bobbie doing the Elvis impersonation. I also became much more invested in the relationships. We were introduced to the close relationship of Opie & Jax and you could see the relationship between Tara and Jax... not just some horrible HS flashback scene and then longfull staring across a street. In the second episode they start with Bobbie riding up and holding up a brown paper bag saying he has the good stuff and it turns out to be muffins.  And later, Tig is describing to Clay what he is going to do to cover up an issue and Clay asks "What nasty shit did your Momma do to you?" and Tig responds "What do you mean?" I'm just hoping we start seeing some exchanges like that in Mayans. 

It also felt like you could telegraph too much of what would happen. When EZ helped out the child and was thanked by the woman, you knew she'd appear later. As soon as they got to the "rebel" camp, I knew she'd be their leader. And when head of cartel guy says he is leaving for dinner with his family, I figured his wife would be the Ex. 

Off to read some of ya'lls thoughts about the next episodes to see if I'll keep watching. 

• Love 2

Granted, I watched this episode in pieces, so I may have missed a few things, but I'm completely confused by the dead nun at the end.

What was the purpose of that? Who do we think planned it? What did it say on the wall? And what was Emily's plan in the first place?

I'm so lost. I may have to re-watch.

The writing on the wall was the slogan of Los Olvidados (I forget the actual wording).  It was meant as a false flag to show that the rebels had killed the nun, and maybe the people would turn against them and support the Galindo cartel.  Hence, unless the rebels are supremely stupid, the killing was planned by someone in the cartel.  It's up in the air as to whom.

I am not surprised by the renewal.  I would have been surprised had it not gotten a renewal.  Plenty of people like motorcycles, tough guys and glamorized violence and torture. And now that Sutter is not trying to reinvent the Middle Ages he is probably back on ground he is sure of.

• Love 2

As soon as the young man called the rebel leader, "sister," I realized that she must be a nun. It is horrible to see those children are trained killers.

There are so many shifting alliances on this show that I cannot figure out who is on whose side or what motivates them.

I did love how Angel and EZ were fighting and stopped as soon as they saw the picture of their mother. Coco and EZ are right that Angel is a perverted sicko, but damn he made me laugh. Well, we know the father's secret now. I hate that he threatened the cousin who I like. 

Emily and her husband are a pair. EZ needs to stay away from them before they suck him into their craziness. She is never betraying or leaving her husband. Honestly, I wish death on the both of them. Their child would be better off.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3

I'll admit I found it entirely too satisfying when Adelita and her lethal "children" took out the corrupt police. And after  that nasty main police guy threatened to rape Adelita  I kind of cheered when she killed him.

I wish EZ wasn't led around by his dick by Emily - she is not going to leave her husband to come back to you, EZ.

You know when Coco calls you sick, Angel, you really do have a problem.

• Love 5

For a show called Mayans MC, you'd think the whole club thing would be more important to the storylines. That being said, I still think the show has potential. If they could maybe drop one story and focus in a bit more it would help. 

I like EZ and his devotion to Emily so I'm hoping she's not as untrustworthy as she seems. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Ener said:

What was the deal with the egg timer while WZ was fucking somebody?

Probably was a hooker and that's the time he paid for her or something. 

Still not that into this show. Doesn't pull me in like SOA did. I think the bad acting is making it harder for me to get attached. Could be that these episodes are too long which is why I don't get interested. The hospital scene when she was getting discharged was a waste of time. So was the end, I don't understand the point of it. I'll give it to the end of the season so we'll see if things start to make sense. 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, ohcomeon said:

I watched the first season of SOA hiding out in my bedroom so my kids didn't know what I was watching and I never mentioned to friends how much I loved the show. I was immediately hooked on the show from the get go. I was in my 4th season before I could convince my husband to watch it. 

Just watched the first episode. We had decided to record a few and binge watch. However, one episode was all I could sit through. I don't recognize JD Pardo from any other work, and wasn't impressed with his acting in the pilot, Very flat. Hoping that improves if I decide to watch another episode.

As soon as I saw the Gemma cameo, I immediately realized why I wasn't as engaged. There just isn't any character that comes on screen like she did and you think "hell, this will be fun". She goes from her opening scene of planning family dinner, concern at the hospital for her son and grandson to the visit with Wendy and threatening her and leaving her with the drugs.  

There was just no humor to balance out. With the pilot of SOA you had the deer through the car scene early on and the vegetarian having to cut it out with a chainsaw, Clay joking about Jax putting 2 in the back of his head, and then at the end having Bobbie doing the Elvis impersonation. I also became much more invested in the relationships. We were introduced to the close relationship of Opie & Jax and you could see the relationship between Tara and Jax... not just some horrible HS flashback scene and then longfull staring across a street. In the second episode they start with Bobbie riding up and holding up a brown paper bag saying he has the good stuff and it turns out to be muffins.  And later, Tig is describing to Clay what he is going to do to cover up an issue and Clay asks "What nasty shit did your Momma do to you?" and Tig responds "What do you mean?" I'm just hoping we start seeing some exchanges like that in Mayans. 

It also felt like you could telegraph too much of what would happen. When EZ helped out the child and was thanked by the woman, you knew she'd appear later. As soon as they got to the "rebel" camp, I knew she'd be their leader. And when head of cartel guy says he is leaving for dinner with his family, I figured his wife would be the Ex. 

Off to read some of ya'lls thoughts about the next episodes to see if I'll keep watching. 

I agree with you.  I'm finding this show pretty flat, not sure I'll keep watching either. 

It reminds me of the later seasons of SOA where they just kept piling on extra plots all over the place (side drama with the Chinese, a random shootout that has little connection to the rest of the plot, the Juice saga that seemed to never end, etc.).  But at least with SOA we knew the characters by then and were somewhat invested.  With this show, I feel they have jumped right to piling on plot lines, at the expense of character development. 

And also every show is an hour and a half...  I thought SOA went noticeably downhill once most the episodes were extra long and Sutter stopped having to edit himself for the one hour timeslot.  

7 minutes ago, wovenloaf said:

It reminds me of the later seasons of SOA where they just kept piling on extra plots all over the place (side drama with the Chinese, a random shootout that has little connection to the rest of the plot, the Juice saga that seemed to never end, etc.).  But at least with SOA we knew the characters by then and were somewhat invested.  With this show, I feel they have jumped right to piling on plot lines, at the expense of character development. 

This is exactly what I was thinking but didn’t care enough to comment at the time. Lol.

They picked a storyline that is supposed to be suspenseful but I don’t know or care about the people. All I’m doing at this point is playing the show in the background and occasionally turning to the tv to yell “just give the baby back already and move on!” and I’m not sure I’m going to do that for much longer. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, SimoneS said:

EZ is a hot young man. I would expect women to be throwing themselves at him. Hard to believe he pays for sex.

I think they have to be careful who they drag into their circle. Seems the house of hookers is the club's hangout and provide comfortable hook-ups with no worries. I do wonder if it's significant that he seems to have something going with the hooker who the police chief guy was with last week. They seemed to share a discreet glance at each other as the police guy was leaving.

Possum playing possum at the start. I like how animals kind of oversee each episode.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, SimoneS said:

EZ is a hot young man. I would expect women to be throwing themselves at him. Hard to believe he pays for sex.

Ex con joining a criminal gang. Now TV may have created the fantasy of the hottest doctors in town running off with a criminal but a retired sex worker is probably closer to the reality of an outlaw club member's old lady 

• Love 1

I missed the import of the tunnel from the white gang's house to the brothel. It would be pointless for use as a smuggling route.  By the way, that club guy that was tracking it out needs to take some lessons on how to stay in stealth mode.  He was just a bit too noisy coming through the trap doors.

Watch your step, Coco.  The boss got his eye on you now.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

I missed the import of the tunnel from the white gang's house to the brothel. It would be pointless for use as a smuggling route.  By the way, that club guy that was tracking it out needs to take some lessons on how to stay in stealth mode.  He was just a bit too noisy coming through the trap doors.

Watch your step, Coco.  The boss got his eye on you now.

My thought was that since the brothel is the hangout of the Mayans who work with Galindo, the mercenary gang's (and Galindo's rival in the drug trade) tunnel terminating at the brothel indicates that the women there are working both sides and maybe can't be trusted?

Did I understand correctly that Chuckie actually saw Coco running after his daughter at the diner and now the leader thinks it was the head of the rebels he was with?  Even though he's correct about Coco being involved with them, he's actually going on bad intel?

• Love 1

I like all the desert animals showing up and kind of reaction to the stuff going on. Its like a Pixar movie is happening in the background. 

Emily and Miguel really are a match made in hell. Emily might make some token moral protests, but she is clearly aware of what is going on, and is even into the darker side of her husband and his world. EZ is better off just moving on, she is never going to betray her husband. As messed up as it is, she loves him, and has no real desire to give up his world. 

So Felipe used to be in an undercover fed? Yeah, EJO is always going to be a badass, never underestimate him. I wonder if that will tie into the corrupt cops, or at least some corrupt cops, as the ones we met in this one are all kinds of dead. As awful as it is that Adelitas kids are already trained and experienced killers at such young ages, I cheered when those corrupt cops got shot to pieces. 

• Love 4

Is it wrong that the only people I care about are Emily and Miguel?  Yeah they have a fucked up marriage but they  get each other.

In all honesty this is the kind of relationship that I always wished Jax and Tara had  on SOA.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4
On 10/2/2018 at 9:56 PM, Ener said:

What was the deal with the egg timer while WZ was fucking somebody?

Hookers typically set a timer, not so much because that’s what you pay for but so that you move along and get it done so they can move on to another client. I learned this visiting some places outside Vegas many years ago as a tourist hanging out in the attached bars. Made the mistake of saying, during an ambush, when the place suddenly lined up the house women and I couldn’t figure out how to get out of it, “What if I don’t see anyone I like?” Piece of advice: Don’t ever do that. 

Mexico is a confusing place. 

At this point I am feeling like Adelita and the rebels are playing chess, while Galindo is playing checkers. And no, I didn't feel sorry for him, sitting there incarcerated and set up, having lost his son all over again right after getting him back.

The most shocking scene of the entire episode to me was the little girl pushing the boy snitch off the roof. "We would have loved you". That was brutal.

I fear very much for Coco.  Sutter wouldn't kill off a character I like now, would he?  Crap.

Enter stage left at the end - a character I remember from SOA - you are really screwed now, Galindo....I also remember that actor from Deadwood.

Edited by magdalene
  • Love 5

I had a good laugh at how they framed Galindo. Got no sympathy for him. I hope he ends up in prison for years. As for his son, he will be better off in foster care. 

Children killing children. Shit. That was horrible, just horrible. I don't think I will get over the little girl pushing the boy off the building. Adelita is brutal.

I like that Coco and his daughter are starting to build an honest relationship. I am sure that Angel and EZ will come up with a way to take the suspicion off Coco, probably have him tell the leaders about his daughter.

I like this show, but it is odd how the leaders of the club feel like they are on a completely different show and not connected to the Angel/EZ/Coco story. Does it mean the leaders will be killed off? Or there will be a reckoning where they resolve their differences?

I like Angel and EZ's cousin. I hope that they bring him into the story more.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, magdalene said:

Enter stage left at the end - a character I remember from SOA - you are really screwed now, Galindo....I also remember that actor from Deadwood.

Thanks for clarifying! I'm not familiar with SOA, and wondered if the guy at the end was a character on that show that viewers of SOA would know. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, jonesingjay said:

Thanks for clarifying! I'm not familiar with SOA, and wondered if the guy at the end was a character on that show that viewers of SOA would know. 

Lincoln "Linc" Potter,  is an eccentric, manipulative assistant U.S. attorney. He rides a motorcycle, dresses like a biker.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, jonesingjay said:

He tried to get members of SOA indicted on RICO charges.  I would imagine he's checking out the Mayans for the same reason.

• Love 1

How long was that baby sitting in that car unattended? Also, they took a big gamble betting he'd take the baby AND the blanket.

15 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I had a good laugh at how they framed Galindo. Got no sympathy for him. I hope he ends up in prison for years. As for his son, he will be better off in foster care. 

Wouldn't they give the baby back to Emily?

• Love 5

When Angel said he got involved with the rebels to save his club it rang false. We've barely seen anything that would indicate he cared that much about the club. Now if he'd simply said he didn't want to be at the mercy of the cartel, okay.  

• Love 1
13 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I was shocked that Adelita figured out that the boy was a snitch

She must have done some background checks off camera.  She said the taco vendor only had one son, so she knew something was up.  From there it's just the standard trap to see if they can catch him.  I wouldn't be surprised if someone was outside the market watching him make the phone call. 

7 million pesos calculates to about $368,000 US.  Just 'cause I wanted to know.

When EZ finally dumped that car and hid in the field, my first thought was that it was a gigantic marijuana grow, and EZ is looking around, thinking, "This is just not my day."

• Love 1
On 10/10/2018 at 12:25 AM, magdalene said:

At this point I am feeling like Adelita and the rebels are playing chess, while Galindo is playing checkers. And no, I didn't feel sorry for him, sitting there incarcerated and set up, having lost his son all over again right after getting him back.

Weird. I responded to this last night on my phone and saw it there, and yet today the response is gone when browsing on my laptop. So I will try again.

I actually thought the rebel's plan was half assed. You've got the baby, and Galindo where you want him, AND a trap set up for Galindo's men. So why don't you blow up the car (with real baby or fake baby, it's TV) when Galindo is there, and blow up the warehouse when his men are there?

Instead, you set up a drug dealer and powerful cartel figure for smuggling drugs? How long do you think that will stick? And now the baby is who knows where. At least plant one of your people to nab him, so you have Galindo's money AND the baby while he is in jail for a day or two. Plus you could have knocked off some of his most trusted men.

But no. Their plotting felt a lot like MC plotting.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Ottis said:

I actually thought the rebel's plan was half assed. You've got the baby, and Galindo where you want him, AND a trap set up for Galindo's men. So why don't you blow up the car (with real baby or fake baby, it's TV) when Galindo is there, and blow up the warehouse when his men are there?

That was what I fully expected to happen. In the least I expected there to be some sort of trap at the warehouse.

• Love 3
On 2018-10-10 at 7:36 AM, SimoneS said:

I like that Coco and his daughter are starting to build an honest relationship. I am sure that Angel and EZ will come up with a way to take the suspicion off Coco, probably have him tell the leaders about his daughter.

Yes, but this girl looks like trouble, to say the least!

And can somebody explain to me why it seems a problem to inform the leaders that Leti is Coco’s daughter?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, sisterspoon said:

Yes, but this girl looks like trouble, to say the least!

I really felt for EZ there when she got in the car with him and said "You can fuck me if you want." He had to be thinking "How do I get out of this? This is not going to end well." Fortunately for him, it did.

• Love 1
On 10/10/2018 at 11:19 AM, icemiser69 said:

I was shocked that Adelita figured out that the boy was a snitch.  I thought for sure that Adelita's group was toast and that she was going to have to seek revenge for them being slaughtered.

I think she knew there was a snitch because they were being followed so closely and because the nun helping them was targeted. I got the impression she told that guy to write down the coordinates of their location to set a trap and then watched who took the paper. The guy kind of hesitated, I thought, like he was thinking "Write it down? That's not secure, we don't usually do that."

On 10/11/2018 at 12:02 AM, TimetoShine said:

Just not interested in the cartel/rebel stuff.

I so agree with this. I just zone out when all that is going on. It was the same for me with SOA when it was all the "business" they did. I like the relationship stuff and character development. All I really need to know is bad stuff is going down and a general idea of what it is. But all these long talks between them where they kind of allude to things so we have to figure out the details - I just hate that part.

I wouldn’t have a problem with having Galino arrested in Mexico but having what is supposed to be law enforcement take his kid and not return him to his mother....that I have a problem with.  It’s kidnapping plain and simple.  It makes the rebels WORSE then the cartel at this point in my mind.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2