Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Grab A Bottle

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, guilfoyleatpp said:

I definitely agree with Druzy. A&B will have a spectacular falling out. This behavior is probably a pattern with B. You're doing well to distance yourself from both of them and not commenting on it further. 

What are the logistics of republishing? I would be tempted to ignore the request if it involves a lot of work on your part (or work that you need to supervise). Is that even your thing to edit?

We have a problematic family living next door. The mom is toxic, manipulative, a habitual liar, and everyone in the neighborhood suffers because she doesn't supervise or correct her child's aggressive behavior. I've ceased engaging with her entirely, although it seems she is still working on talking shit about me to anyone who will listen. I'm playing the long game. I figure that she is not in enough control of her behavior that she can't help but show what a terrible person she is after a while. It's hard to not rise when bits and pieces get back to me (there's also an uncomfortable element of racism in her and her child's actions which INFURIATES me), but I trust that our long term behavior will become clear to those who are paying attention in the long run. 

I know she's planting darts and waiting to get the satisfaction of me reacting. So that's my long game. Ignore the bitch, don't escalate on my side, and let her spin out of control. It always happens. 

Is it wrong that, when the inevitable fallout occurs, I'm kind of interested in watching? As someone who got a taste of these women's attitudes, I don't want to be anywhere near it. As a spectator, however...

Re-publishing is a pain in the ass. It involves re-doing everything, from the formatting to the cover design (since our names are on the cover). Some of it is even outside of my skillset. Yeah, it's a pain. I am going back in to check our contracts. I don't think she *can* pull out unless there's a glitch with Amazon and exclusivity. 

• Love 6

I'm allll about the long game. I'm a pretty good judge of character and there have been times when I've tried to convince other people that ____ was no good, only to have my protests fall on deaf ears. I was eventually proved right, but I would end up looking crazy in the beginning. So now I just watch and wait. 

And yes, pop that popcorn and enjoy the show!!! I loooove drama, as long as it's not mine!

• Love 8

After some debate, I'm going to go ahead and post this GoFundMe page one of my best friends made for us:

https://www.gofundme.com/kickovariancancerkatie

I wasn't sure how I felt about it at first, but it has been a huge help to our family, especially after we lost all of our emergency fund plus more when the tenant in our condo didn't pay us for several months (while we still paid the mortgage/HOA fees/water/sewerage/etc), as doing a timely eviction in Louisiana is damn near impossible and even more expensive.  I know it's kind of tacky to post it, but hell...if these TM girls can have 8 baby showers & gender reveals, then I don't feel as embarrassed about sharing it, I guess.  

Also, ya'll will now see that:

1) I don't actually look like Betty Draper;

2) The resemblance my hubby has to (a non-drugged out, cuter) Ryan;

3) and that the Mini-Nordics may just be the cutest Mini-Batgirl & Mini-Robin ever :)   (from last Halloween).

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 17
4 minutes ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

After some debate, I'm going to go ahead and post this GoFundMe page one of my best friends made for us:

I wasn't sure how I felt about it at first, but it has been a huge help to our family, especially after we lost all of our emergency fund plus more when the tenant in our condo didn't pay us for several months (while we still paid the mortgage/HOA fees/water/sewerage/etc), as doing a timely eviction in Louisiana is damn near impossible and even more expensive.  I know it's kind of tacky to post it, but hell...if these TM girls can have 8 baby showers & gender reveals, then I don't feel as embarrassed about sharing it, I guess.  

3) and that the Mini-Nordics may just be the cutest Mini-Batgirl & Mini-Robin ever :)   (from last Halloween).

Hey, if I can post one about the special needs kitten you can totally share yours!

Hang in there, dude. 

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

Is it wrong that, when the inevitable fallout occurs, I'm kind of interested in watching? As someone who got a taste of these women's attitudes, I don't want to be anywhere near it. As a spectator, however...

Re-publishing is a pain in the ass. It involves re-doing everything, from the formatting to the cover design (since our names are on the cover). Some of it is even outside of my skillset. Yeah, it's a pain. I am going back in to check our contracts. I don't think she *can* pull out unless there's a glitch with Amazon and exclusivity. 

Nope, not wrong. Watching the slow motion train drive off the bridge from a safe distance is the most satisfying parts of "The Long Game."

I have a longer story about living in our old place where a train wreck culminated spectacularly between two neighbors right before Christmas in 2014ish. Mr. Guilfoyle, having grown up with drama, warned me to stay away when friendly overtures were made. It was loud. It took several hours. I still giggle about it. 

In terms of the anthology thing...I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do, but I might wait a few weeks and then write back to her saying something like "I've checked our contract and there does not appear to be a means for either of us to republish without the other. In light of your wishes, however, I will no longer promote this title." Or whatever. You probably weren't promoting it either, but she's an idiot who is just trying to make things difficult for you. I might not even check the contract. Just let her stew on it for a while. 

@MyPeopleAreNordic, your family is adorable! No one really looks like Betty Draper, not even January Jones. xoxox

• Love 7
1 hour ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

thank you for sharing that!  what a beautiful family!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, mamadrama said:

It's only wrong if you don't share that fallout drama with us.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

You have a beautiful family! Thank you for sharing this with us.

• Love 9

@mamadrama what a mess! I do agree with you though and the way you handled it. The whole "if you're going to be friends with her, then I can't be friends with you!" thing is ridiculous. And yes, please keep us updated. I also don't like being pressured in supporting one side or another. I make my own decisions, thank you very much!

@MyPeopleAreNordic you guys look adorable!

• Love 9
9 hours ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

What a beautiful family you have there. OMG your kids are adorable!! I am glad you decided to share this link here. I hope it helps. Hugs to you and your family.

8 hours ago, druzy said:

It's only wrong if you don't share that fallout drama with us.

lol  Very true!

• Love 5

Stubby update! She's grown. At 5 weeks she's about the size of a 3-week-old kitten. She is also being tested for kitty down syndrome. (Cats can't actually have DS as we know it but they can have chromosomal abnormalities that look a lot like it.) She's as cute as she can be.

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 9

Mama you did exactly the right thing IMO. We all of course will be waiting on the imminent destruction of A and B! Stubby has a Go fund me? Swing me a link! 

My people!!!! Your family is adorable and I pray you get all you need. We will always be right here for you.

I have a lunatic alcoholic that has taken to pound on my bedroom window when she wants to bum a smoke. This woman was so filthy and fucked up I had to toss her out. I feel bad because I'm friendly with her daughter. Give her clothes and housewares and the occasional doobie. But man her Mama tho....traumatized me hard core. I texted the daughter and told her what happened. The mother happened to be in her house. They live side by side. So Mama sees my text and loses her shit. I guess they had to sell their last house because the neighbors couldn't take her behavior. 

• Love 9
28 minutes ago, FairyDusted said:

Mama you did exactly the right thing IMO. We all of course will be waiting on the imminent destruction of A and B! Stubby has a Go fund me? Swing me a link! 

My people!!!! Your family is adorable and I pray you get all you need. We will always be right here for you.

I have a lunatic alcoholic that has taken to pound on my bedroom window when she wants to bum a smoke. This woman was so filthy and fucked up I had to toss her out. I feel bad because I'm friendly with her daughter. Give her clothes and housewares and the occasional doobie. But man her Mama tho....traumatized me hard core. I texted the daughter and told her what happened. The mother happened to be in her house. They live side by side. So Mama sees my text and loses her shit. I guess they had to sell their last house because the neighbors couldn't take her behavior. 

@FairyDustedThat's so scary. Did she come back to your house? 

• Love 3

Oh my gosh @druzy! Just the other day but she brought her granddaughter so I couldn’t say anything. Her daughter Ashley, told me the mom copped to the dad about being an alcoholic. On top of that she’s an unmedicated bi polar. She needs to get that and her liver checked. Her ribs are all cracked from falling down the steps. She’s detoxing but I’m keeping on Ashley to make sure she is bathing frequently to remove the toxins and change linens frequently. I also sent over an oil mix to rub on her soles and palms to help. I also told her I would go to a meeting with her so she is more comfortable. I hope I did the right thing.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, FairyDusted said:

Oh my gosh @druzy! Just the other day but she brought her granddaughter so I couldn’t say anything. Her daughter Ashley, told me the mom copped to the dad about being an alcoholic. On top of that she’s an unmedicated bi polar. She needs to get that and her liver checked. Her ribs are all cracked from falling down the steps. She’s detoxing but I’m keeping on Ashley to make sure she is bathing frequently to remove the toxins and change linens frequently. I also sent over an oil mix to rub on her soles and palms to help. I also told her I would go to a meeting with her so she is more comfortable. I hope I did the right thing.

If you didn't put a stop to her banging on your window she would have continued to take advantage of you. What would happen if she went to the wrong window and got shot because she was mistaken for a burglar?

I think it's wonderful what you are doing to help this family. Not many people would do the same. ❤️

I just want you to be safe.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, druzy said:

If you didn't put a stop to her banging on your window she would have continued to take advantage of you. What would happen if she went to the wrong window and got shot because she was mistaken for a burglar?

I think it's wonderful what you are doing to help this family. Not many people would do the same. ❤️

I just want you to be safe.

Thanks. Guns are in a safe. We don't play with them. I wake up the mr and make him investigate. He lovessssss THAT!    Last resort. But I do need to reset my security cams!

• Love 5

She'ssss Baaaaack! Omg the neighbor! So she does a face plant into the snow before stumbling up to my back door last night. DURING RHBH! I sealed a package to go to the daughter who was sick. Two minutes later the daughter calls and said I called her mom an asshole and she was crying. For the record, I said no such thing. I said, " That's probably not a great idea." after she exclaimed she was going to pinch what a sent. I told the friend she needed to get her to a hospital to detox and get her meds. She has more issues than they can safely handle at home. My Dads wife is BiPolar so I see it everyday. Luckily she doesn't drink or smoke. I just have to make sure she doesn't leave doors unlocked and I go down and check her stove at night. She's PLENTY medicated but she cycles quickly so it's needed. She has already come at my Dad with a knife. NAKED. The cops Loved that she clapped her ass at them last round. LOL! At least she is mellow for the most part. This lady though needs in patient. I really think her brain hears the opposite of what I say. I don't know what to do.    

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, FairyDusted said:

She'ssss Baaaaack! Omg the neighbor! So she does a face plant into the snow before stumbling up to my back door last night. DURING RHBH! I sealed a package to go to the daughter who was sick. Two minutes later the daughter calls and said I called her mom an asshole and she was crying. For the record, I said no such thing. I said, " That's probably not a great idea." after she exclaimed she was going to pinch what a sent. I told the friend she needed to get her to a hospital to detox and get her meds. She has more issues than they can safely handle at home. My Dads wife is BiPolar so I see it everyday. Luckily she doesn't drink or smoke. I just have to make sure she doesn't leave doors unlocked and I go down and check her stove at night. She's PLENTY medicated but she cycles quickly so it's needed. She has already come at my Dad with a knife. NAKED. The cops Loved that she clapped her ass at them last round. LOL! At least she is mellow for the most part. This lady though needs in patient. I really think her brain hears the opposite of what I say. I don't know what to do.    

I personally would get an order of protection , and call the police when she violates it, because she will. Your dad should do the same, IMO.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I personally would get an order of protection , and call the police when she violates it, because she will. Your dad should do the same, IMO.

I will if she continues and I tell her husband what is going on. He has no idea. Sucks tho cuz all the guys get along.

My Dad's wife though....He's too far gone to divorce her and is afraid she will take her own life. I do have a back up measure though. I can get my Dad up here and lock the downstairs. I put the keyed lock on backwards just in case! It is kinda of scary though. Even medicated she doesn't take care of herself. I try to but she gets embarrassed and cries. ( I don't call her a step mother because they married after I left home and I was also with my husband.) 

• Love 5

@FairyDusted what did this woman say after she got up from falling. Did she just pretend it didn't happen? 

She has no consequences for her actions. She shows up drunk at your back door when you are watching RHOBH and threatens that she is going to steal a package, you said that's not a good idea, then she goes home and cries to her daughter like you are the Big Bad Wolf and she is Goldilocks. You need to put a No Trespassing sign by your door. She won't abide by it but I think the sign sets a precedent. Our buddy @Kazu can explain the no trespassing signs better than me. 

7d1fd092-db69-455c-8691-1d35d90063f9_fs.png

• Love 6

Ha, not to make light of a serious situation, but I feel like I need a sign like that on the living room to keep my kids out after I put them to bed. And one for alllll the other RHs. Plus Teen Mom, Survivor, Vanderpump Rules, etc. They keep coming out for water and to use the bathroom and I don't need to be interrupted!!! (Plus, there's a good chance they'll hear something really inappropriate.)

• Love 4

Lmao! I done told them no prime time visits! I didn’t see her fall but she was covered! I put it inbetween the doors. My friend is in a foot cast so that’s why I used the door for mcdrunkie. Sealed it and sent a photo to friend. I figured I wouldn’t have to see her but of course she pounded on my bedroom window so I ran out grabbed it and sent her on her way.

so this morning my friend hobbled over in tears. Mama was making her choose. WTF? I was honest with her and told her I understood but urged her to get Mama help. Mama made her come over to straighten me out. Yeah right!  

• Love 5
2 hours ago, druzy said:

@FairyDusted what did this woman say after she got up from falling. Did she just pretend it didn't happen? 

She has no consequences for her actions. She shows up drunk at your back door when you are watching RHOBH and threatens that she is going to steal a package, you said that's not a good idea, then she goes home and cries to her daughter like you are the Big Bad Wolf and she is Goldilocks. You need to put a No Trespassing sign by your door. She won't abide by it but I think the sign sets a precedent. Our buddy @Kazu can explain the no trespassing signs better than me. 

7d1fd092-db69-455c-8691-1d35d90063f9_fs.png

This sign is friggin' hilarious! I need it! When I am watching RHoB and the husband starts talking to me, I quickly pause the episode. I give him whatever attention he needs because if I don't, he will continue to talk and I have to rewind about ten minutes of the episode. He used to be a RH watcher with me. But he stopped because he couldn't handle Yolanda's lyme drama bullshit. Now, he can't get back into the show because too many cast changes and I don't have time to explain everything that has happened. The thought of trying to explain Dorito to him...oy!

Not making light of your situation @FairyDusted. You know I got your back. It is definitely a sticky situation. But I got a huge laugh at the McDrunkie comment! lol

@MyPeopleAreNordic sweet comments for a sweet lady. :-)

Edited by Kazu
What is it with me today? Comma not a period. Duh!
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Kazu said:

When I am watching RHoB and the husband starts talking to me, I quickly pause the episode. I give him whatever attention he needs because if I don't, he will continue to talk and I have to rewind about ten minutes of the episode.

I thought I was the only one who did this! I try to not roll my eyes or look impatient. But seriously dude, I have a limited amount of time to sit my ass on the couch and watch whatever show I've DVRd. It will sometimes take 90 minutes to watch an hour long tv show (40 minutes once you FF through the commercials!) because of the side commentary. Like dude...I know you don't talk to other adults all day, but come on!

• Love 7

Stubby is sick. :-( She had diaarhea earlier, her anus is bloated, she's been crying, and my other cats keep trying to clean her little bottom. I am going to have to take her to the vet tomorrow. Honest to God, I don't know with what money. I feel so badly for her. We're keeping her separate from the others and we're not letting her eat, just in case. If anything happens to my little kitty... :-(

small 1.jpg

small 2.jpg

small 3.jpg

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

Stubby is sick. :-( She had diaarhea earlier, her anus is bloated, she's been crying, and my other cats keep trying to clean her little bottom. I am going to have to take her to the vet tomorrow. Honest to God, I don't know with what money. I feel so badly for her. We're keeping her separate from the others and we're not letting her eat, just in case. If anything happens to my little kitty... :-(

small 1.jpg

small 2.jpg

small 3.jpg

poor kitty! lots of hugs!

• Love 4

She's been crying all night. We're trying to find an emergency vet to take her. She's really swollen and her anus is kind of sticking out in a way that it hasn't before. I am worried about prolapse. She had a lot of diarrhea earlier. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, guilfoyleatpp said:

I thought I was the only one who did this! I try to not roll my eyes or look impatient. But seriously dude, I have a limited amount of time to sit my ass on the couch and watch whatever show I've DVRd. It will sometimes take 90 minutes to watch an hour long tv show (40 minutes once you FF through the commercials!) because of the side commentary. Like dude...I know you don't talk to other adults all day, but come on!

My husband is generally pretty good about leaving me alone during my shows. But sometimes he'll just randomly sit down on the couch and want to start a serious conversation. I'm like, "duuuude???" Ugh. It's infuriating. 

Stubby, hang in there!!!!

• Love 7

Stubby is back from the doctor. She had a minor procedure on her bowels and was sent home with medication for the week. The bad news is that the vet thinks she may have suffered from brain damage. She doesn't react to stimuli that she should react to, she has trouble with some basic motor skills, and she has VERY limited eyesight. Doc thinks she moves by sound and scent, not vision. :-( The GOOD news is that Stubby is already perking up and looking a little better! She wasn't pleased at having so many things stuck up her butt today. 

• Love 13

Me, too. Sending love to Stubby and a big hug to you @mamadrama for all that you are doing for that precious baby. My heart is feeling happy knowing he is in your care. I am sad to read he may have suffered brain damage. Poor baby. :-(

@ghoulina and @guilfoyleatpp Seriously! I feel like pulling my hair out when he interrupts me whether it is watching one of my shows or I am here on the forums. I can't tell you how hard it is for me to not roll my eyes. It is a struggle to not show my impatience. The conversations he will bring up make me want to raise my voice and say, "Really, dude? This shit can't wait??!!"

• Love 8

Stubby and I did a photo shoot tonight. You know, for the "fans"... :-) 

Seriously, though. I don't care if she's brain damaged or blind or costing me more than my regular bills at this point. (I wrote a cold check today for $19 to cover part of the vet bill-the medicine. I am going to set up at an outdoor market tomorrow to try to earn the money to put into my account.) She's still a sweet kitten and I think she deserves a chance. I'll keep fighting as long as she's up for it. 

small 7.jpg

small 8.jpg

small 9.jpg

• Love 13
On 4/17/2018 at 3:44 PM, FairyDusted said:

This is Stubby's Go Fund Me. I am sharing the link because the most recent surgery from yesterday morning is setting us back. A lot. We've spent almost $1300 so far. People have been awesome about donating but she has a lot of needs and will most likely require one more surgery. (I am still getting bills from the other visits. Not quite paid up yet.) From then on, though, it should just be basic maintenance. We're not real sure how the brain damage is going to continue to affect her bowels but we're hopeful. 

https://www.gofundme.com/mrstubbs

• Love 12

You GUYS! I don't know your "real" names, but I suspect that some of the donations that showed up today are from you all. You have no idea how much this helps. My daughter got pneumonia a few weeks ago and it's had a hard time leaving. It seemed to go away for about 3 days but then came back on one night with a fever of 104 degrees. She had to be hospitalized. She's basically down to just an ear infection now, but she's still miserable. We had to pay $250 upfront to admit her to the hospital (insurance copay) and it just about wiped us out. In the scheme of her being ill, money and a kitten shouldn't matter but they do. Actually, she's one of the main reasons why I keep fighting for Stubbs. My daughter refuses to let anything happen to her and she's the one who begged us to intervene from the beginning. She's also the one who wants to be either "a vet or a member of the Paw Patrol" when she grows up. :-) So thank you. It helps, it REALLY does. 

• Love 13

Part 2...

So I have to do an update on my "thanks". When I got onto my GFM account earlier and saw what some of you all had done, I was truly touched. I've always thought of the TEEN MOM folks on here as kind of "my people" but when I saw the donations, it really got to me. I mean, there was this kind of mixture of gratitude, embarrassment, and relief. (If you've ever had a need like this and others have helped, you'll know what I mean.) My husband actually had a breakdown this afternoon as we tried to figure out how to pay the bills we've missed and as we wondered what we'd do if anything else happened to Stubbs in the next few weeks (spoiler: we're down to the bare bones in the bank account, we wouldn't have been able to take her in to anyone and that would have killed US). So the help really gave us a "Stubby padding" and the relief was kind of overwhelming. The fact that now we could get her care if we needed to, as well as cover some of the bills that are still coming in from her surgeries, was awesome. 

I really didn't know how I could feel any better...And then I signed back in this evening. 

One of my readers, a woman I don't even know and have never interacted with, sent me $1,000. I am going to say this with complete love, but who the hell does that? That's more than our mortgage. I'm not being sarcastic at all, but it REALLY takes a special kind of person. Like, I didn't know that I knew that kind of people. My whole family is in complete shock. I gotta tell you all, I cried for the third time today. (Second time was when I cried like a baby reading this article about a letter found in a glove compartment. I'm not usually into click bait slop but this one hit hard.) Maybe that wasn't a lot to her but, to us, it was kind of everything. You guys gave me a glimmer of "this might just all be okay" and I was already high on that feeling. And this, well...my faith in humanity has been restored, which is kind of ironic considering I am on the TM board. 

You all made my day much brighter. I am not good at thank yous. Words never feel adequate for the gratitude I feel. But thank you. I honestly feel like a different person. 

PS- Seriously. Like a babyhttp://news.spotlightstories.co/hidden-note-car-glove-box/?utm_source=fb_ads&utm_campaign=con-hidden-note-car-glove-box-13148188-352874213&utm_medium=facebook

• Love 17

Thank you for sharing! I love stories of just pure generosity. People helping people, that's what life is about. Stubby is just about the cutest thing ever and I would hate to see anything happen to her! I hope your daughter is feeling better as well.

• Love 9

Soooo relieved for you @mamadrama. I saw that donation last night and was so happy for you. I thought you surpassed your Goal! YEA!!!!!!! Very generous of your reader. We are all pulling for you and your family. Thanks so much for reaching out and sharing. (((hugs))) Totally ok to cry it out. 

• Love 7

Our cat now has more money than the rest of my family put together. She deserves it, though. 

We did a "thank you" video. Watch Stubby steal the show by playing with my daughter and then biting my lip. 

• Love 10

So there was this big author event here in my state on Saturday. I didn't have plans to go because tables were $100 and I tend not to like those things anyway. (As you can see now, we writers are full of drama.) On Friday night, however, the event coordinator wrote and asked me if I wanted to come and set up for free. Before you think this was out of the goodness of her heart, she ended the message with, "And you can bring Stubby if you want to!" Let's face it, it wasn't really me getting the invitation but Stubbs. Still, what the hell? Why not? I have to give Stubby medicine every 3 hours anyway so I couldn't leave her at home. As soon as I got there, guess who's table was RIGHT next to mine? That's right, Author B's. Damn it. 

Luckily, she was a no show. 

Stubbs had a great time. 

• Love 11
21 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

So there was this big author event here in my state on Saturday. I didn't have plans to go because tables were $100 and I tend not to like those things anyway. (As you can see now, we writers are full of drama.) On Friday night, however, the event coordinator wrote and asked me if I wanted to come and set up for free. Before you think this was out of the goodness of her heart, she ended the message with, "And you can bring Stubby if you want to!" Let's face it, it wasn't really me getting the invitation but Stubbs. Still, what the hell? Why not? I have to give Stubby medicine every 3 hours anyway so I couldn't leave her at home. As soon as I got there, guess who's table was RIGHT next to mine? That's right, Author B's. Damn it. 

Luckily, she was a no show. 

Stubbs had a great time. 

Lol, poor mama drama. You can’t seem to catch a break lately. You’re definitely being the mature one with others trying to suck you in to their drama. You stay clear of their BS and just report back to PTV the tea. I’m soooooo interested in your Author A. and Author B. story. ?

Edited by Calm81
Had to add an (r) to the “you” to make YOUR ?
  • Love 6
19 minutes ago, Calm81 said:

Lol, poor mama drama. You can’t seem to catch a break lately. You’re definitely being the mature one with others trying to suck you in to their drama. You stay clear of their BS and just report back to PTV the tea. I’m soooooo interested in your Author A. and Author B. story. ?

So Author B is totally on her way to becoming completely unhinged. In addition to her tantrum-throwing posts about Author A ("If you're going to be friends with anyone who gives A a hard time then you can get out of my life!") she has now started threatening and shaming her readers by playing Eyeore over her books sales ("I may as well give up writing. Nobody ever buys my books. I guess I really am a complete waste of space, a nothing...")

The meltdown is coming soon, I can feel it.

Interestingly enough, even though Author A is involved in a lawsuit (and the writer who's suing her has wracked up a HUGE amount from fellow writers on Go Fund Me-Author A is so horrible that people are literally donating money to see her go down), Author B is the one doing most of the posting about it. Every day there's at least 5 posts about how wonderful Author A is and how could anyone be so mean to her, how much Author A has changed her life, how horrible people are being, etc. 

This is her professional Facebook page. Readers can read that shit. I be checking in every few hours to see what new bullshittery she's spouting. 

• Love 7

If you find time on your hands and want to read about some of these shenanigans, the GFM is a good place to start. She's posted a few updates at the top but if you scroll down to the bottom you'll find the original story. I don't actually know this woman. I know her by name. (Actually, I don't really know either woman in the lawsuit, although I used to be FB friends with the defendant in the case. I unfriended her a few years ago.) This case doesn't affect me at all; it's not even my genre. However, the unethical things that the promoter/author is doing/has done DOES affect me. 

Basically, it's like this: She creates a boxed set. Let's say, an anthology about cats. Then she charges each contributing author $2,000 to join the anthology. WHY do they spend so much on them? Because she all but guarantees them that they will make the NYT Bestsellers' list-and they DO. She calls it "earning your letters." The authors involved then use "NYT Bestselling Author MamaDrama" on their books. (I find this practice absurd. You're not a NYT bestselling author just because a book that you have a story in with 19 other people makes the list.) But I digress.

So HOW does she get the books on the bestselling lists? Well, I knew a few people involved and I asked. They told me that she "takes out advertisements". I called bullshit and I was right. What they're doing is basically combining all of their subscribers' list (some people, like me, have more than 20,000 subscribers to their newsletters), then they divvy them out amongst each other. This promoter takes their $20,000, buys 20,000 gift cards to Amazon, sets up one-day giveaways (each giveaway gives away one copy of the book) and then holds "contests". It would be like this...Say I had a new book come out and I wanted to ensure that I sold 50 copies on that day. I would send you all gift cards for $0.99. Then I'd get on Amazon and create 50 giveaways, each one for one book. Then I'd send you all the links (each person an individual link) at the exact same time. You'd "claim" your prize and, voila, I'd have 50 sales. Now, imagine that happening 20,000 times. It's not against Amazon's TOS to have giveaways. It IS against their TOS to have something that manipulates the rankings. It would be fine to host one giveaway in which you gave away 20,000 copies of your book (that would only count as one sale, though). It is NOT okay to create 20,000 giveaways and give out one copy each. 

When the person doing the lawsuit figured out what was going on, she tried to pull out. That's when shit got real. 

Oh yeah, this author/promoter even started suing people who donated to the Go Fund Me. It's been crazy to watch. 

But yeah, no wonder it's hard for the rest of us. So many people out there working the system...(Another scamming trick is for "authors" to add 3 or 4 extra ebooks to the backs of their Kindle version and not include this information in the Table of Contents. Then, at the VERY end, they'll have a "download a free short story here" link. To get to that short story link, the reader has to go past all 3 or 4 extra novels. In Kindle Unlimited, we get paid for every page that is read, but technically the reader doesn't have to READ it, they just have to flip past it. So these "authors" are getting paid for 3,000 pages rather than the 225 that their books truly are. Maddening. 

PS-I don't think buying your way onto the list is a good way of becoming a NYT Bestselling author, either. 

https://www.gofundme.com/6we7rk-it-takes-a-community

• Love 8