Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Grab A Bottle

• Start Topic

@mamadrama, apply for it all.  When the situation changes you just report that as well.  I don't think there's any shame or reason not to do it.  It's not meant to be a lifestyle, it's meant to help get families over a hump like you described.  You've paid into it to help others.  There's no reason not to get a little bit of help yourself when the going gets rough.  Plus, the medical side could be a little relief.  Maybe even applying for SS disability.  That's just a phone call to get the ball the rolling even if nothing happens right away.  It could help sometime down the road if things get bumpy again.  It might ease your mind to just to try.  What's the worst that happen?  They could say no.  Which doesn't change a thing.  Just try.  Best of luck to you and good vibes being sent.

As for myself, thank you everyone!  I love your words and happy to have our own little spot to exchange them.  Or just read if that's more your style.  It helps to be able to let things out and not have to watch your tongue sometimes.  

• Love 9
(edited)
7 hours ago, monicageller said:

So I'm out for coffee and found this new place...

20180303_120429-1209x1612.jpg

OMG that is wild! lol  I love the design. So chic. I feel so special. MWAH

It figures. I can't find my real name on anything such as souvenirs, but here is a coffee cup with my username (well, half of it) on it!! :-)

I need someone to photoshop that in my avatar's hand. I'd be forever grateful. 

@mamadrama there is no shame in needing assistance. It is there for people who need it. I know the stigma is what is likely making you feel the way you are. I always tell people who try and say shit about food stamps, "You don't know anyone's situation to judge them for needing it."  I hope everything you apply for comes through and it comes through quick. As @MissMel posted, you put into the system and you deserve to get some of it back. Hugs. 

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 6

Thanks dudes. Groceries sure would be one less thing to worry about. I may apply. At least we could eat, if nothing else. You guys have no idea how sick I am of pasta. We're down to canned carrots at this point. You KNOW things are bad when you start running out of your random canned vegetables. :-)

• Love 5
1 hour ago, IDreamofJoaquin said:

I finally got myself a name icon!!  And one of my posts got the glossy pink "25 likes" highlight.  I'm pumped.  Making great strides here on previously.tv.

Yay!! You are on a roll! *high five*

Cute avatar! I have been wanting to ask, is the username in reference to Joaquin Phoenix? 

• Love 2
(edited)

Happy Monday everyone. So am I the last person to hear about the book MUMMY LAID AN EGG? It starts out as a child-friendly way to explain procreation. Then it turns into the kama sutra for children, complete with costume changes. I mean, I am all for teaching children that sex is a fun, natural activity but when you start bringing in clowns and balloons, er...

Seriously. Look it up. I was reminded of the guy who Phoebe went out with on FRIENDS. The one who said he wrote erotica for children? 

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 1
On 3/3/2018 at 2:25 PM, mamadrama said:

Thanks dudes. Groceries sure would be one less thing to worry about. I may apply. At least we could eat, if nothing else. You guys have no idea how sick I am of pasta. We're down to canned carrots at this point. You KNOW things are bad when you start running out of your random canned vegetables. :-)

When I was a kid and things were really tough, we alternated between spaghetti (no meat) and corned beef hash. I got soooo sick of them, especially spaghetti. It took me a long time as an adult to want to eat it again. 

4 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Happy Monday everyone. So am I the last person to hear about the book MUMMY LAID AN EGG? It starts out as a child-friendly way to explain procreation. Then it turns into the kama sutra for children, complete with costume changes. I mean, I am all for teaching children that sex is a fun, natural activity but when you start bringing in clowns and balloons, er...

Seriously. Look it up. I was reminded of the guy who Phoebe went out with on FRIENDS. The one who said he wrote erotica for children? 

I'd never heard of it. Googling it right now. The first thing that's got me riled is talking about the "seeds" being in mommy's tummy. She doesn't EAT the sperm! I don't know, maybe I'm weird...but I've never told my kids they were in my tummy. They know that babies grow in the uterus. 

Okay....now I'm on the page that shows the ways mommy and daddy fit together. Holy shit! It's like Cirq De-freaking-Soleil! They're doing it on a skateboard! What the fuck? Mr. Ghoulina and I really need to spice it up, I guess. 

Thanks for the laugh, mamadrama - it's SNOWING for the 45860549860498609th time and I was getting really bummed out. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

When I was a kid and things were really tough, we alternated between spaghetti (no meat) and corned beef hash. I got soooo sick of them, especially spaghetti. It took me a long time as an adult to want to eat it again. 

I'd never heard of it. Googling it right now. The first thing that's got me riled is talking about the "seeds" being in mommy's tummy. She doesn't EAT the sperm! I don't know, maybe I'm weird...but I've never told my kids they were in my tummy. They know that babies grow in the uterus. 

Okay....now I'm on the page that shows the ways mommy and daddy fit together. Holy shit! It's like Cirq De-freaking-Soleil! They're doing it on a skateboard! What the fuck? Mr. Ghoulina and I really need to spice it up, I guess. 

Thanks for the laugh, mamadrama - it's SNOWING for the 45860549860498609th time and I was getting really bummed out. 

Yep. So.Much.Spaghetti. 

I showed Mr.Drama the pictures and we were particularly interested in the space hopper...

• Love 3

Anyone else having issues with inserting on the forum today? For instance, if I'm reviewing my post and realize I forgot to add a word, I can't. Because when I click the mouse on where I want to insert it, the cursor doesn't just appear, blinking, like it's supposed to. Instead, it highlights either the space before or after and if I start typing, it eats my other words. I am just curious if this is a forum issue or something my computer is doing. (I guess I could try and type somewhere else and see if that happens.)

59 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

Anyone else having issues with inserting on the forum today? For instance, if I'm reviewing my post and realize I forgot to add a word, I can't. Because when I click the mouse on where I want to insert it, the cursor doesn't just appear, blinking, like it's supposed to. Instead, it highlights either the space before or after and if I start typing, it eats my other words. I am just curious if this is a forum issue or something my computer is doing. (I guess I could try and type somewhere else and see if that happens.)

If it's eating the other words as you type, push the Insert button on your keyboard. That should resolve that issue.

I'm catching up on this board, I have been wondering what the heck was in @GreatKazu's avatar's hand and now I know :) Enjoy your coffee!

@mamadrama a belated happy birthday to you! I do hope things get better, if you can get on foodstamps, do it. No shame in it and like you said, your kids need to eat. I also just got one of your true haunting books on kindle, can't wait to read it :)

• Love 3
4 hours ago, MaggieG said:

I'm catching up on this board, I have been wondering what the heck was in @GreatKazu's avatar's hand and now I know :) Enjoy your coffee!

@mamadrama a belated happy birthday to you! I do hope things get better, if you can get on foodstamps, do it. No shame in it and like you said, your kids need to eat. I also just got one of your true haunting books on kindle, can't wait to read it :)

Thank you. I appreciate it. 

• Love 1

I'm a SAHM/homeschooling mom, so I am able to use the forum quite a bit during the day. Probably more than I should. LOL! I have way too many shows, though. Sometimes I have to prioritize which ones to talk about. It's kind of sad. 

• Love 4

I used to work from home part-time but also was a fulltime PTA mom until my son was almost 8.  So I was on my computer a LOT at home.  Now I can't even bring myself to open my laptop there.  After I had my daughter my life really changed because babies.  I started working full-time and feel guilty doing anything but spend time with my family when I am home.  My husband and I work opposite schedules so we can avoid full-time childcare so there is just very little free time to do what I love: watching tv!!!   I am thinking about doing homeschooling with my daughter in a  few years.  There is a program in our district that you attend classes part-time and then homeschool the rest.  But you have to stay with them on campus until age 12 and I do like working outside the home so I am not sure.

• Love 2

We live in the country on a mini farm and we have 4 indoor cats (which is about 3 too many but we love them). We are also the place where stray animals come to roost. So the other day I was outside and I heard a mewling. A stray cat had given birth to a baby. It was healthy and doing well and she was in a warm place. I left them alone, figuring that she'd prefer privacy to do her business. (I have seen literally hundreds of kittens born over the years and have assisted in many births myself.) When I returned an hour later, however, I was horrified to see that the previously healthy looking kitten had been Hannibal Lectored by its mother. She was in the process of doing the same to her second offspring, but had only gotten so far as the tail. She'd chomped it off right down to the muscles on its bottom. 

Now, we need another cat like we need a hole in the head. Still, I wasn't going to let that second kitten die. I rescued it and brought it inside. Wrapped it up in a pajama sleeve and bottle fed it for an hour. It was teeny tiny. I honestly expected it to die and I continued to hold it so that it wouldn't be alone. When after a couple of hours it actually appeared to be doing okay, I went out to our barn and pulled in a barn cat. She was also a stray but has been hanging around lately. We were thinking of just keeping her. She'd just so happened to have a baby the day before, but it was stillborn. I brought her inside and introduced her to the little one and she got right down to business. Cleaned it off and began nursing it. By the next morning it was looking pretty good. I took it to the vet and they did some lasering on its bottom and some wound cleaning. Sent us home with antibiotics. If it makes it to Monday then they're going to do surgery on its GI tract. 

I know, I know, this is a lot of fuss over a kitten. I couldn't help it, though. It's so tiny (a preemie) and the kids had already seen it. They would've killed ME if I hadn't done my best to save it. We've moved it and the foster mama into the house and they're both as happy as can be. I guess foster mama is now our new cat so she'll be getting some vet visits as well. (The OG mama is long gone. She took off.) 

We're calling the baby Mr. Stubbs or "Stubby." 

• Love 13
24 minutes ago, FairyDusted said:

Awwww. Love your story. Write on Sister we are listening. Stubby is a great name. Reminds me of an old drunk guy. Who, BTW, was that tragic Mama Cat. That's some scary shit right there!

Ha ha. He's actually named after Mr. Stubbs, the chimp from the old Disney movie "Toby Tyler." 

I am so angry at the other mama cat. I know that it's just nature and that it's not like they think like we do or anything but it pisses me off just looking at her. She may have just been too young to have kittens. She didn't look very old herself. What bothers me, though, is that baby was okay the last time I saw it. It was mewling and trying to nurse from her. When I came back to check on them later, there was so much blood that I thought it was a newborn...and then I realized that part of it was missing. OMG, it was so horrible. I've been around animals all my life, seen a lot of things, but it was mostly still alive and still crying. I'm still traumatized. When I saw Stubby and how it was bleeding as well, I snatched it up. Didn't even realize its tail was gone until later. Had quite a few FB friends interested in its journey so I made a little video about his vet visit and such, if you want to see him. He's a cutie for sure. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, IDreamofJoaquin said:

Loved that video!!  I love all things cat.  His poor little behind.   My son and I took in a stray who had kittens and it was such a wonderful period in our lives. 

He's doing really well today. Very active and already fattening up. I love him. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Awww, such a cutie! That is QUITE the story. How fortunate there happened to be another mama cat to help take care of him. Sending good thoughts Mr. Stubbs's way!

The foster mama was a stray (I think she wandered in from next door-they have a ton of barn cats) and I heard her giving birth out in our woodshed. I sat out there with her and helped, but the only baby she had only lived for a few minutes. I say it was stillborn but it was actually born with its intestines on the outside of its body. Poor little thing. She cleaned it and nursed it but, of course, it didn't love long. We're lucky that the Mean Mama had Stubbs the following morning. Foster Mama's milk was still in. 

It's a serious cutie. We've moved them into a box in our living room and she's pretty happy taking care of "her" baby at the end of our couch. She's very protective of Stubbs. I've been sneaking her some extra wet food. We're taking her to the vet tomorrow to get her checked out. She's missing a spot of fur on her side. COULD be ringworm but it's only the one spot and doesn't seem to bother her. I don't want her to pass it down to Stubbs and we need to get her looked at. She deserves all kinds of care right now. 

• Love 7

Stubbs is gaining some weight and his eyes are open. He's too little to crawl, but he scoots around on his belly. He LOVES my daughter. She's the only one who can administer his antibiotics. Whenever we have him out, he will scoot to wherever he hears her voice. She says she wants to be a vet when she grows up-or a member of the Paw Patrol. 

small 2.jpg

small 3.jpg

• Love 13
11 hours ago, Emkat said:

Any update on baby Stubbs? 

Stubby spent last night in the animal hospital. It was a hard weekend on his tummy (He is having trouble eliminating.) He is back home today, though, and doing a lot better! 

• Love 6

Thank you @mamadrama for helping the kitten. I have rescued a few litters over the years myself. Not sure why stray cats always seem to pick my property to have their babies. I sometimes think my late beloved cat has a hand in that happening. She must be directing them to go to "that lady's house." 

Baby Stubbs is so damn precious. I just want to put my hands through the computer and hold that baby. 

I look forward to reading updates on Baby Stubbs. :-) 

Hey all, I have a question. I am dealing with a bladder infection. I have had bladder infections on two prior occasions. I took antibiotics and it cleared up easily on both occasions. I didn't even have any symptoms those two times. This time though, I have been dealing with some extreme pain. It started out as a dull ache that won't go away.  I then have some crampy feeling near the pelvic area, almost like a menstrual cramp which was on a pain scale of 7.  I had a hysterectomy back in 2011 so, I know it isn't anything associated with that. After two weeks I went to my doctor who diagnosed me with the infection. She gave me antibiotics. After a week of taking them the pain persisted and it got worse. I went back for follow-up. She gave me a stronger antibiotic. She sent out my urine for a culture. I will see her on April 3rd. When I urinate, it somewhat hurts to push, as if someone is pressing on my bladder. I will be done with my meds today, but I still have pain. Yesterday was the worse. I thought of going to the ER to get a pain shot around 3 in the morning, but I decided to just let it ride. The pain subsided after two hours, but that achy dull pain persists. My doctor said at my last appointment if this persisted, she'd send me out to have an ultrasound done. 

Have any of you ever had excruciating pain associated with a bladder infection? I am just concerned because my mind is thinking there might be a secondary issue going on rather than just a bladder infection. 

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 1

GK - Is your doctor testing for anything besides an infection?  Are you prone to kidney stones?  The amount of pain you are experiencing sounds like more than just an infection.  Can your dr tell you more about the infection?  My dog is prone to bladder infections and there is one that is fairly easily cured with one course of antibiotics and if it is the other type of infection it is three courses of a more intense antiobiotic - wonder if there is something similar with us humans.  I’m sorry to hear you are feeling so poorly and hope they can give you some pain meds asap.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, Booger666 said:

GK - Is your doctor testing for anything besides an infection?  Are you prone to kidney stones?  The amount of pain you are experiencing sounds like more than just an infection.  Can your dr tell you more about the infection?  My dog is prone to bladder infections and there is one that is fairly easily cured with one course of antibiotics and if it is the other type of infection it is three courses of a more intense antiobiotic - wonder if there is something similar with us humans.  I’m sorry to hear you are feeling so poorly and hope they can give you some pain meds asap.

She sent my urine out for a culture. That is all at this point until I see her on the 3rd. I have never had kidney issues before. My husband thought it might be related to a kidney stone, but I am not having any of the pain that is associated with kidney stones. My pain is mostly in the area of my bladder and just above my pelvic area. It is a pain and a crampy feeling. I will know more on my visit next week. In the meantime, I just keep wondering if this is the norm for some bladder infections. She also told me to avoid caffeine like the plague, drink cranberry juice and water. I will admit, I was drinking a lot of caffeine for the past three months. I have been busy working on something and I needed those jolts of energy. I hope I didn't do anything to my bladder with all that caffeine. 

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 1

If you haven’t already, you may want to call and let them know you are in a lot of pain.  The 3rd is a week away and if the dr knows your symptoms have changed he/she may want to change the antibiotics or do the ultrasound now instead of waiting for the culture results.

I haven’t heard about caffeine harming the bladder.  I thought it was more about staying away from caffeine bc it is a diuretic and they want to keep you hydrated.   Off to google this and get tons of misinformation and maybe one right answer.

• Love 1

@Booger666 I think you are right in that I should call and let her know about the pain continuing. This is really cramping our plans for Easter. No pun intended. Thanks for your help. 

ETA: Just called. I will go in tomorrow morning to see my doctor. 

Edited by GreatKazu
  • Love 5

I don't have anything further to add, but I hope they get to the bottom of it! You shouldn't have to be in so much pain. 

I'm prone to UTIs, and I got one about a year ago that I waited too long to treat. Ended up with a kidney infection. It was awful. It sucks if you get recurring infections, because you become immune to antibiotics and it can be hard for them to find one that will work. 

Actually, I do wonder....did the pain come with the infection immediately? Or did it start later? I wonder if all the antibiotics might be taking their toll? Sometimes they can cause gastrointestinal distress, which might feel like cramps. 

At any rate, hope you're feeling better soon!

• Love 4

Actually, I do wonder....did the pain come with the infection immediately? Or did it start later? I wonder if all the antibiotics might be taking their toll? Sometimes they can cause gastrointestinal distress, which might feel like cramps. 

That's the thing. I didn't even know I had an infection.  I had felt a dull ache for two weeks prior to visiting my doctor. It started around March 1st. It would come and go. I thought maybe I had hurt a muscle on my side and just let it go. When the pain increased, I finally visited the doctor on the 12th. Other than the pain, I had no other symptoms. No fevers, chills, nor was I experiencing any pain urinating, at that time.  I haven't had any fevers or chills, just the stupid pain increasing and coming in waves sometimes, almost like labor pains. At times I am hunched over in pain as it reaches its peak and I just wait for it to pass. 

Thanks ladies. I appreciate the warmth and care you send my way. 

• Love 1