• Start Topic

How Did Alison Die?   POLL CLOSED

50 members have voted

1. 1. How did Alison die?

• Detective Get-Over-It-Exes is right - Alison committed suicide
    • Ben snapped and smashed her head into Chekhov's statue
    • Luisa killed Alison in a scene we haven't seen yet; her hair was perfect
    • Scotty's ghost chased her to the ocean
    • Who cares? This show will never make it right!

1 hour ago, tvviewer said:

Sarah Treem gives the answer here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rV5uOBlCrh8

WOW. OK, so she says that Alison was, in fact, murdered, but the tragedy is that everyone (on the show) believes she committed suicide and the audience is the only one who'll ever know she didn't. 

That seems...shitty. 

5 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

WOW. OK, so she says that Alison was, in fact, murdered, but the tragedy is that everyone (on the show) believes she committed suicide and the audience is the only one who'll ever know she didn't. 

That seems...shitty. 

So I guess that makes those who chose the final answer the winners: "Who cares? This show will never make it right!"

I will say that I find the idea of exploring how people react to a suicide a more interesting story than another murder mystery.  This show is supposed to be about relationships. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

So I guess that makes those who chose the final answer the winners: "Who cares? This show will never make it right!"

**raises hand**  

I picked "who cares" only because it will be over a year before the next season airs and by that time I will forget she even is dead.

Years ago, there was a summer hiatus and then shows began again in the fall. These days, serial shows take a year or more to start again and I am excited for closure for a while but after so much time passes, I move on to other shows. 

I had actually forgotten how Homeland ended this last season and had to rewatch it to be reminded that Carrie was part of a Russian prisoner exchange and had lost her mind off her meds. 

So with regard to The Affair, by the time it returns the interest within the excitement to learn about how Alison died will have faded. That is why I like a season to end with closure. Cliffhangers work for week to week episodes, but not season to season for me.

5 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

That seems...shitty. 

38 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I will say that I find the idea of exploring how people react to a suicide a more interesting story than another murder mystery.  This show is supposed to be about relationships. 

Sarah Treem is a writer who manipulates the viewers for her own level of creative artistry. This: "the tragedy is that everyone (on the show) believes she committed suicide and the audience is the only one who'll ever know she didn't" is viewer emotional manipulation.  

Edited by DakotaLavender
  • Love 10
27 minutes ago, DakotaLavender said:

I picked "who cares" only because it will be over a year before the next season airs and by that time I will forget she even is dead.

Same! I liked it when shows were 22 episodes, ran from September through May, had a a three-month hiatus, and came back on again. This waiting a year for a new season to premiere after having only watched 10 episodes of a series is really grating. And like you, I forget 90% of what happened. 

As for Treem's so-called artistry, if The Affair were a painting, it'd look something like this:

9a8dfakfjd.jpg.a9ea8b697121333bab61cf9aae2a02c9.jpg

1 hour ago, DakotaLavender said:

Years ago, there was a summer hiatus and then shows began again in the fall. These days, serial shows take a year or more to start again and I am excited for closure for a while but after so much time passes, I move on to other shows. 

I had actually forgotten how Homeland ended this last season and had to rewatch it to be reminded that Carrie was part of a Russian prisoner exchange and had lost her mind off her meds. 

So with regard to The Affair, by the time it returns the interest within the excitement to learn about how Alison died will have faded. That is why I like a season to end with closure. Cliffhangers work for week to week episodes, but not season to season for me.

Sarah Treem is a writer who manipulates the viewers for her own level of creative artistry. This: "the tragedy is that everyone (on the show) believes she committed suicide and the audience is the only one who'll ever know she didn't" is viewer emotional manipulation.  

And the audience only knows because nuts like us watch Treem's YouTube video.   The general audience does not know.    

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, weaver said:

And the audience only knows because nuts like us watch Treem's YouTube video.   The general audience does not know.    

The general audience is better off. External "information" is never helpful, often harmful.

• Love 7

I was completely convinced Ben murdered her, but then seeing him at the service threw me.  Heck, other than Cole none of the Lockhart family was there.  It seemed strange to see Ben there unless he really did actually care & was grieving.  I guess that was just Treem's last trick to place doubt in the minds of viewers like me.

I suppose it's possible Ben was there just to continue looking innocent, and maybe a psychopath would do that because they enjoy knowing they've fooled everyone ...but when I saw him I definitely thought my assumption must have been wrong, and she must have committed suicide after all. 

Thanks for providing the link which Treem admits was was, indeed, murder.

• Love 2

Do these showrunners ever shut up?   I sensed some passive-aggressive bs in play with Alison being done in by some rando douchebag followed by an almost comedic funeral.   

Gotta admit, I kinda like Athena, especially after that epic burn.  lol  

affair4_10dd.thumb.jpg.7c556aaef0728ac2580a9f24bb31697c.jpg 

affair4_10dddd.thumb.jpg.353640fc8b34c6cc993d22f797ecb1af.jpg

Unintentional hilarity is the best.

• Love 2
On 8/20/2018 at 3:50 AM, tvviewer said:

Sarah Treem gives the answer here https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rV5uOBlCrh8

Loved seeing the actors interviewed, but I find some audience-only reveals to be frustrating - especially when we're going to have to watch the entire cast of characters to act on a misconception.

23 hours ago, DakotaLavender said:

There has been so much confident storytelling on television over the past few years that I'm willing to return to a follow-up season after waiting a year, but yeah - it can make viewing tedious to try to remember everything and stay interested. I'm in the middle of a Better Call Saul rewatch because even though I'll give Gilligan & Gould and all the actors as much time as they need to tell a story, 13 months between episodes is kind of insane.

• Love 2

Well, shoot - I  missed the poll.

I thought Alison was murdered from Day 1.

On 8/20/2018 at 5:39 AM, Giant Misfit said:

everyone (on the show) believes she committed suicide and the audience is the only one who'll ever know she didn't. 

That seems...shitty. 

That would be very shitty for the other characters. Suicide causes tremendous feelings of guilt in those left behind.

That would be very shitty for the other characters. Suicide causes tremendous feelings of guilt in those left behind.

Good thing they're just fictional characters. In theory, at least, watching them deal with that guilt could be interesting... 

• Love 2
On 8/23/2018 at 5:08 PM, Razzberry said:

I can only imagine what that would do to a child, thinking their mom committed suicide and didn't even leave a note.  I see self-esteem issues in Joanie's future. 

Here we are in the final season and to say that Joanie has issues is an understatement. 

How bad are the Montauk police?

They didn't check the tides, they didn't look for signs that she may have been killed before she ended up in the water.

The first things they should have looked and looked hard at are the guy she was dating, her ex husband, etc. the men in her life.

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, scrb said:

How bad are the Montauk police?

They could have already begun their migration away from the point of LI due to the global warming? There is a discrepancy as to whether she died in 2018 or 2021.  The cops were also bad enough to leave all those records behind for people to peruse. I agree that the first people that they should have questioned were the men involved in Allison’s life. Could they have disliked the Lockhart family so much that they didn’t think that this case was worth their time? I think that they were paid off, yet I don’t see Ben having the funds to do so. Could Helen’s Mother think that her daughter was involved and paid them to drop the case? I know that this series won’t wrap up nicely with a bow, but after 5 years I think that we viewers deserve something better. 

The police aren't going to pursue a murder charge if they cannot prove it. They had no evidence to prove it was anything other than suicide. The injury to her head, and the scratches on her could be explained by bumping up against the rocks.  She had a history of being unstable and unhappy.  The boyfriend had an alibi. So did the ex-husband. If Ben went back and cleaned up the apartment, there would be nothing there to indicate something had happened to her there. I don't think the police were incompetent, I just think there was nothing for them to pursue. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I’m a couple of years late to the party. Just now catching up on this series. 

To me, Allison did cause her own death in a way.  She did that by choosing to get involved with a marine, who was suffering with PTSD, and was newly sober from drugs and alcohol.  As the mother of a young child in her home, she had a duty to protect both of  them.  To bring a unstable person into your world is very risky and bizarre.  And a person who drinks as much as she did, has no business dating a person newly in AA.  I think I’m rare, as I didn’t have much sympathy for Allison, once she supposedly got her act together and was taking good care of Joanie, because she still continued to be self destructive.   I’d rather believe she did take her own life, because it seemed that she realized she would not stop making poor choices.  With her history of mental illness, continuing to drink alcohol was a very poor and selfish decision.  Why wasn’t she on medication?   She was a tortured soul.  

Well, I haven’t watched the last season yet. Perhaps, it will  provide more perspective.