Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E13 From on the Pulse of Morning

• Start Topic

Dear Showrunner for Season 4:Please, please ensure that the pacing for this show is fixed next season. Tonight was awful....everything including the kitchen sink was thrown in the mix.

Again, the land stuff is occurring mostly off-screen which is annoying as hell. I could have used less of Charley and Romero and more of Charley and the Landry siblings. I'm glad Propser got his land and home back though.

Vi and Hollywood's wedding also deserved more than 10 minutes worth of screentime also. Hollywood is just a little bit too perfect though. I'd like to see his character more fleshed out in Season 4.

Looks like drama is set up with Nova vs her family next season. I cringed when I saw RA's paternity test on her idea board. He is going to explode if she indeed included that in her book.

I don't know what is with Kofi's acting choice of RA talking out of one side of his mouth, but is really starting to bug me. I actually had to google an interview to make sure it wasn't due to a medical condition of some sort.

Micah's rally was great but I wanted to punch Nova when she rolled her eyes when Charley spoke up at the auditorium. Micah was mumbling and was too scared to speak up for himself. Did he want people to show up or nah? At least he found his voice at the rally,hopefully that's the last we will see of the Woke crew.

Ah well, until next year folks. I already can't wait to see how much bigger the actor who plays Blue will be next year. That kid is growing like a weed.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 9

Wow. Took three seasons but RA is starting to grow up.

I don't know if RA really had cameras or if he was bluffing but he should've went to the local news if he did record the cops.

Glad Prosper and the rest of the farmers got their land back. Now that Charley has her mill back will the other farmers finally do business with her?

I'm very intrigue what Nova put in her book. I didn't have a problem with her discussing her father contemplating suicide but if she's exposing everyone's secrets and drama that's a problem and Aunt Vi won't be the only one coming for her.

I like Jarrett and Romero are decent men to Vi and Charley. 

The turnaround of Charley over Landry seem quick but I'll take it and it's good to see Charley will be keeping her wits about her when dealing with Mama Boudreaux.

I hope season four runs more smoothly than three. 

3 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

Vi and Hollywood's wedding also deserved more than 10 minutes worth of screentime also. Hollywood is just a little bit too perfect though. I'd like to see his character more fleshed out in Season 4.

Looks like drama is set up with Nova vs her family next season. I cringed when I saw RA's paternity test on her idea board. He is going to explode if she indeed included that in her book.

Micah's rally was great but I wanted to punch Nova when she rolled her eyes when Charley spoke up at the auditorium. Micah was mumbling and was too scared to speak up for himself. Did he want people to show up or nah? At least he found his voice at the rally,hopefully that's the last we will see of the Woke crew.

A two hour finale would've been more appropiate. Vi and Hollywood's wedding was very underwhelming with all the buildup all season. I hope next season gives more for Hollywood and Remy to do.

I give Micah a pass on his talking low and stuttering since it was his first public speaking engagement and he was nervous. I rolled my eyes at Micah walking off and standing by Nova. Charley only spoke up because he didn't take command of the room.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Arcadiasw said:

I give Micah a pass on his talking low and stuttering since it was his first public speaking engagement and he was nervous. I rolled my eyes at Micah walking off and standing by Nova. Charley only spoke up because he didn't take command of the room.

Yeah, I get that, but there  was no need for those two to show such outward signs of exasperation. Charley wouldn't have done that if Nova had been the one to grab the mic. Nova is a real asshole sometimes.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 11

That was an underwhelming finale. It seemed like each scene went on a little too long. So much so I fast forwarded through so much I didn't even see Vi and Hollywood's wedding. I'll have to go back and look for that. All I can say is I'm looking forward to Greenleaf coming back. 

• Love 5

Romero and Charley still don't have chemistry. That kissn't terrible but instead of seeing sexy, I saw dry. I wonder if they got rid of the actor playing Jacob cause his character sparked a lot more with Charley.

This season was wildly uneven and frustrating with some stories getting more focus than necessary and others *cough land deal cough* not getting enough.

And someone needs to speak to Kofi before S4 starts filming about speaking up and clearly since that whispering is something he seems to do on this show & not in real life.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Yeah, I get that, but there  was no need for those two to show such outward signs of exasperation. Charley wouldn't have done that if Nova had been the one to grab the mic. Nova is a real asshole sometimes.

Second viewing this morning and I kind of want to smack Micah upside his head for his pouting.

As for Nova, this is probably not the right words but with the pressure to be successful with this book and instead of this book being how she initally wanted, the book is coming across as a tacky tell all novel. When she signed the contract, she planned to use her stories from her former newspaper. When she learned she had to write new stories, she hit a writer's block and couldn't break out of it until she learned of her Dad's low point. Now her book is finished but instead of solely telling HER stories, she's telling everyone's stories and justifies herself saying the black community needs to have these conversations. Maybe but the living people whose stories are being told usually know it. It's like her justification for stealing Charley's money.

8 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

It reeks of selfishness on her part if she put RA's paternity in the book. She's not thinking of Blue and what he will face. He already got in a fight with a kid before over his parents. He might get in multiple fights if everyone knows RA isn't his birth father. 

Edited by Arcadiasw
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

And someone needs to speak to Kofi before S4 starts filming about speaking up and clearly since that whispering is something he seems to do on this show & not in real life.

His whispering and mumbling drive me crazy! Are the directors telling him to do that? It needs to stop. 

10 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Nova is a real asshole sometimes.

A lot of the time. 

• Love 8

Yeah, Nova and Micah cutting their eyes at Charley ticked me off. I get that Charley often eats up all the oxygen in the room but the point of the meeting was to organize the rally not to help Micah develop his public speaking chops. The people who showed up to that meeting gave up their time and energy. Respect that and just handle the business.

Nova works my nerves. It's funny how she is both obsessed with "the community" and yet utterly self-involved. The idea that she would air all of her family's dirty laundry without talking to any of them about it is horrible. She can still tell her story without dragging everyone else's business into the street. This idea that "we need to have these conversations" is justification for outing other people's pain is a noxious form of entitlement.

One thing I really like about this show is how the threat of the police is presented as the constant that it is. On almost any other show, what happened to Micah would've just been a story arc that resolved itself but the threat of the police is baked into the DNA of this show. From Nova's relationship with Calvin and how that conflicted with her work to Micah's arrest and how he and the family have to continue to work through that trauma to how even when he speaks up now the cops come after RA. Law enforcement, the corruption therein and the threat they present to black people just trying to live our lives is woven into the fabric of this show. There's not some final victory because there's always another bad cop around the corner.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 17

The most powerful moments for me were Charley and Mr. Prosper, it brought tears to my eyes. Also Charley negotiating skills on behalf of the farmers. Nova, Nova, Nova, I agree with your literary agent.. someone else's truth is not yours to tell. Interested to see how this will play out.. I'm not feeling Charley's new love interest yet, something seems a bit off to me. RA I'm so proud of you . Micah  , the passion is there , just bring the confidence. Vi and Hollywood I blinked and missed your wedding ?

Edited by byrd

I actually loved Vi and Hollywood’s wedding. It looked like Hollywood took all the money he was planning to spend on the big blowout bonanza wedding (that Violet really didn’t want anyway), and gave her the best gift ever-

he bought her the restaurant (no more begging for kitchen space) and had a lovely, intimate family wedding, followed by a big party for friends. That spoke to everything those two are and love. I was charmed.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

Romero and Charley still don't have chemistry. That kissn't terrible but instead of seeing sexy, I saw dry. I wonder if they got rid of the actor playing Jacob cause his character sparked a lot more with Charley.

This season was wildly uneven and frustrating with some stories getting more focus than necessary and others *cough land deal cough* not getting enough.

Agreed, which is why I have complained more than once on this forum and gave him the name, "Sugar Cane Whisperer". Thank God for closed captioning.

Edited by TGinKY
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, byrd said:

I'm not feeling Charley's new love interest yet, something seems a bit off to me

I don't understand.  I don't understand it when people say something or someone is a bit "off."  What is off?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I don't understand.  I don't understand it when people say something or someone is a bit "off."  What is off?

I really want them to work out, but even I'm having doubts. Charley seems like she's not herself with him - like she's being insincere, or perhaps "guarded" would a better way to say it. She doesn't seem 100 percent relaxed with him, whereas he seems like he's being completely open with her. She's acting like a girl in her early 20's would act on first date - awkward, unsure of what to say, and almost shy in a way we've never seen from her. She didn't act that way with Remy or even Jacob.

I'm not really sure what to think. She doesn't seem as into him as he is into her. She keeps seeming shocked whenever he shows up. After the kiss, she looked like she was either surprised that she liked it or she couldn't decide if she liked it or not. Maybe her experience with Remy has made her more cautious? That would be understandable. I like Romero, and I don't see anything wrong him. It just seems like Charlie's not ready yet.

Edited by mrsbagnet
I meant "insincere," not "insecure"
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

I really want them to work out, but even I'm having doubts. Charley seems like she's not herself with him - like she's being insincere, or perhaps "guarded" would a better way to say it. She doesn't seem 100 percent relaxed with him, whereas he seems like he's being completely open with her. She's acting like a girl in her early 20's would act on first date - awkward, unsure of what to say, and almost shy in a way we've never seen from her. She didn't act that way with Remy or even Jacob.

I'm not really sure what to think. She doesn't seem as into him as he is into her. She keeps seeming shocked whenever he shows up. After the kiss, she looked like she was either surprised that she liked it or she couldn't decide if she liked it or not. Maybe her experience with Remy has made her more cautious? That would be understandable. I like Romero, and I don't see anything wrong him. It just seems like Charlie's not ready yet.

It can take a while for people to let their guard down. In my last relationship, I was guarded at the beginning. Eventually I let my guard down and the relationship was really lovely and fulfilling for both of us. I think Charley needs someone kind, open, and stable - no drama. With Davis it was nothing but drama, with Remy she was always having to prove herself to him. Romero doesn't appear to expect her to be or do anything other than spend time with him, which I think is pretty refreshing. She may not quite know HOW to be herself because with Davis, she had to be both wife and manager, so switching between the two selves was probably tough. 

Nova really is selfish. Telling her family's story to the reading public without consulting them isn't right, particularly since she knows her family is private.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: teenage me would have had the biggest crush on Micah. It's been very cool to see him evolve.

I'm glad Prosper got to go home. I actually teared up at that.

I agree this was a really weirdly-paced season, and particularly this episode. I hope it improves.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

I can see all of that in Charley with her being cautious and unsure, esp after just how much hounddog Davis screwed her over then following that up with self-righteous & judgmental Remy.

For me, though, I also don't see any romantic chemistry or sparks between Charley & Romero. 

• Love 3

Charley and Romero are cute together. It was good to see her laughing without a care given what's been going on in her life.

Uh, Romero appears to be a bad kisser though. Yeesh.

So Old Rich Lady Boudreaux will be the new big bad next season. Should be fun.

Loved Vi's wedding gown. I thought the vows were a bit overblown though.

Bring on Season 4!

Romero doesn't appear to expect her to be or do anything other than spend time with him, which I think is pretty refreshing.

That's how I'm seeing it too.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I'm glad Prosper got to go home. I actually teared up at that.

Right?! Prosper gifting Micah, 'The Revolution Will Not Be Televised' had me seriously verklempt too. Henry Sanders is so great in this role.

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, Dee said:

Right?! Prosper gifting Micah, 'The Revolution Will Not Be Televised' had me seriously verklempt too. Henry Sanders is so great in this role.

Yep. I smiled at that too. (Micah and Prosper are sweet together - Micah can get fresh with his parents but he's always respectful of Prosper.) "Thanks, Mr. P." I think Prosper telling Micah that he's a born leader will stick with him. (I also loved a few episodes ago when Prosper said the only rappers he knew were Biggie and Tupac. I was like "Okay, Prosper! Let me find out!" You can tell Prosper is cool.) And then when Charley gave him the deed and HE welled up, I welled up.

• Love 5

Wow, is Nova seriously going to publish a tell all book, exposing all their dirty laundry? Without even giving them a heads up? Thats a really messed up thing to do, even under the guise of "healing" and "talking about it" or whatever people say when people do crappy stuff than justify it with "at least I started a conversation" or something. Especially if she brings up Blues paternity. That would just end up hurting Blue, not healing anyone. Of course, thats always been an issue with Nova. For someone who is always going on about The Community, she can be really selfish at times, especially when it involved her family. 

RA actually shows some growth this week! As much as he works my last nerve, I liked his speech at the prison, and he handled those asshole cops really well. I really hope that someone tells him to stop talking out of the side of his damn mouth last season! I dont remember him doing that so much before, so whats the deal? Is he trying for an accent? Did RA have a stroke? 

Look at Micah getting his leadership on! After a bit of a tough start, he brings it all together at the end. I wish we had gotten more of the land deal and fighting against the prison this season. We could have easily cut out some of the stuff with Micah and the woke kids, Remy and Nova, and some of the more dull parts of Vi and his pie business. I would have rather seen more of Micah growing as a activist, which is I guess what they were aiming for with his new friends, but it didnt fully land. 

So Grand Dame Boudreaux might be the villain next year? Sounds like fun, she and Charlie going head to head should be fun. 

The wedding was sweet, but I feel like after all that build up, it should have been a bit of a bigger deal. 

Mr. Prosper is the best, as always. I admit, I teared up a teeny bit when he got his land back. They better not think about killing him off next season of some shit. I will fight you!

• Love 4

Does anyone know what the cops wanted from RA?  Out of the blue they show up.  Were they trying to get to Micah for outing the dirty cop by intimidating his ex-felon uncle?  

Also, I think RA was bluffing about the cameras. I think the cops thought he was bluffing, but didn't press the issue just in case there WERE cameras on them. 

I understand why people on this board are invested in Wood and Vi wedding, but I can't see a divorced grown man wanting to go all out on a wedding.  Weddings are primarily  for the bride.  Im glad Wood scaled his big blowout plans back.  Took the wedding money and made an investment in his wife

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Kirkydee said:

Does anyone know what the cops wanted from RA?  Out of the blue they show up.  Were they trying to get to Micah for outing the dirty cop by intimidating his ex-felon uncle? 

Yeah, they just dropped that scene in with no explanation or follow-up.  I assumed it was because of Micah. I wasn't sure that the cops weren't going to come back or try to catch RA while he was out in public. It felt like there was a missing scene.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 1

I'm glad Charley's plan worked (for now). Wishful thinking on my part, but I hope all of the farmers that bailed on her apologize. I'm also happy that Remy didn't have to swoop in and save the day. This season was uneven, and I would've liked to see more calculating on Charley's part since there was all of this buildup in the season 2 finale about her being on her Godfather shit.

Now that Vi's got her business and the restaurant, I'm ok with the show putting her storyline on the backburner next season.

Nova and her eye-rolling when Charley stepped in to save Micah while he was choking were too much. Really, let's not act as if Charley stepped in while Micah was doing OK just to have the spotlight on herself. Nova can really be the worst when she wants to be.

Edited by Sheenieb
  • Love 8
On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:24 PM, Neurochick said:

Because he appears not quiet the fit that she needs.  Charley is  very savvy and I just see her with a stronger personality ,  maybe that's not what she really needs right now. He's bringing out the softer side of her and he's making her smile ,it's important to be happy. However I just see Charley with a stronger more aggressive type of man. That's why it's off to me, not a good match in my opinion. I still like Jacob , I don't trust him at all, but he and Charley have chemistry that I don't see with Romero.  You see I get it, I am also the type of woman that needs and is attracted to that Alpha Male dominate personality. THE OTHER SIDE OF THIS IS Romero may be more dominate than any man I know in his own quiet way, but he still would not be the man for me.

Edited by byrd
  • Love 3