Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Familiar-Like

• Start Topic

I asked this in the last episode thread, but how does Issa have a 425 credit score? Kelly's right that that's below bad (bad is 550 and under). That's bankruptcy-bad. Foreclosure bad. Did she pay her rent late or not at all every month she and Lawrence lived in the old apartment? She must have never paid her bills on time.

1 hour ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Kelli made this ep.

"Radio Shack?  They ain't even open anymore.  You buy your groceries from Rite Aid?"  

But so far, I'm underwhelmed with the first two episodes.  I hope it picks up.

She buys panties there too!

We Got Y'all's logo is totally racist. It's also weird to me that the gay guy is cool with being the spokesperson for gay issues. 

It ALWAYS starts with a massage! Don't do it, Issa!

• Love 9

The best thing about this episode (besides Kelli, duh) was Daniel finally putting aside his pride and calling Khalil. I know it can seem insurmountable to do that for multiple reasons, but it's obvious that the resentment and negative feelings were all on Daniel's side. Khalil looked happy to see both Issa and Daniel and happily offered to let Daniel come by the studio. Daniel was the one who kept turning down every offer of friendship/generosity/help that Khalil offered (getting them into the club, sitting at his table, etc). Daniel was hurting no one but himself by continuing to say no to Khalil, so it was nice to see him call Khalil at the end of the episode.

Kitty, if that all dessert diet worked, I would be a size 00.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 6
15 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The best thing about this episode (besides Kelli, duh) was Daniel finally putting aside his pride and calling Khalil. I know it can seem insurmountable to do that for multiple reasons, but it's obvious that the resentment and negative feelings were all on Daniel's side. Khalil looked happy to see both Issa and Daniel and happily offered to let Daniel come by the studio. Daniel was the one who kept turning down every offer of friendship/generosity/help that Khalil offered (getting them into the club, sitting at his table, etc). Daniel was hurting no one but himself by continuing to say no to Khalil, so it was nice to see him call Khalil at the end of the episode.

Kitty, if that all dessert diet worked, I would be a size 00.

I actually felt bad for Daniel this episode and was thinking "what does a good brotha have to do to get ahead?" The music industry is not fair and it is not always the most talented that make it to the top. Khalil actually seemed like a nice guy and l loved the way he left Spydar to talk about his four-year-old.

Everyone was dissing Daniel this episode from his girl who really does not seem all that into him to his boy canceling on him in the club (not to mention not getting in the door of a fairly ratchet looking place and the two girls totally not caring about him now that he does not sell weed). He might need Issa more than she needs him.

I loved seeing Kelly being all successful and the voice of reason. The green braces guy was a funny moment.

• Love 10

Issa's boss Joanne is displaying classic White Savior Syndrome. Countdown to when she tries to defend herself by mentioning how one her best friends is Black.

At first I wanted to think that maybe Daniel has aged out of the game but there are plenty of producers his age or older. But maybe he's getting too old to be still trying to get his break.

Everyone was dissing Daniel this episode from his girl who really does not seem all that into him

Yeah, I wondered about that. He told Issa that his girl was bothered by Issa still being there but then it looked like the girl actually had better things to do and think about. Last episode though I definitely figured that girl was ramping up all the screaming in the bedroom in order to get on Issa's nerves. (The female version of marking her territory. ?)

• Love 3

I asked this in the last episode thread, but how does Issa have a 425 credit score? Kelly's right that that's below bad (bad is 550 and under). That's bankruptcy-bad. Foreclosure bad. Did she pay her rent late or not at all every month she and Lawrence lived in the old apartment? She must have never paid her bills on time.

Good question. I'm going to assume major credit card debt and maybe student loan late payments/default. I'm definitely coming from a privileged place when I type this, but I was flabbergasted by her credit score. Before she starts looking for apartments, she needs to fix her broken-ass credit. At least she met with Kelli, so she's on the right track so far.

Ooh boy, that logo meeting was something else. Joanne was not hearing the complaints. It was definitely out of the white savior textbook.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, qtpye said:

I actually felt bad for Daniel this episode and was thinking "what does a good brotha have to do to get ahead?" The music industry is not fair and it is not always the most talented that make it to the top. Khalil actually seemed like a nice guy and l loved the way he left Spydar to talk about his four-year-old.

Everyone was dissing Daniel this episode from his girl who really does not seem all that into him to his boy canceling on him in the club (not to mention not getting in the door of a fairly ratchet looking place and the two girls totally not caring about him now that he does not sell weed). He might need Issa more than she needs him.

I loved seeing Kelly being all successful and the voice of reason. The green braces guy was a funny moment.

I'm going to go ahead and say that his boy didn't actually know Spider. He was just doing that industry namedropping thing. Because it's convenient that he couldn't make it to the club last minute and that Daniel's name wasn't even on the list when he got there. I wouldn't be surprised if ol' boy is actually Spider's weed man lol. 

6 minutes ago, Sheenieb said:

Good question. I'm going to assume major credit card debt and maybe student loan late payments/default. I'm definitely coming from a privileged place when I type this, but I was flabbergasted by her credit score. Before she starts looking for apartments, she needs to fix her broken-ass credit. At least she met with Kelli, so she's on the right track so far.

Ooh boy, that logo meeting was something else. Joanne was not hearing the complaints. It was definitely out of the white savior textbook.

Maybe Issa had/has a habit of consecutive and consistent late payments as well as buying things out of her budget? I remember last season when she went to the birthday dinner that Tiffany threw for her husband, Issa had on a dress that Molly ripped the tag from after she saw it peeking out from the side. Issa was like, "No, I was gonna take this dress back."

• Love 1

I think Issa has gone as far as she can go with We Got Y’all.  She’s on Joanne’s bad side, she’s been demoted, and now she’s labeled the token employee.  I hope the property management position pans out, because she needs to move on and leave WGY behind.

In addition to her student loans, Issa might be house poor, so to speak.  Rent in CA ain’t no joke.  She needs to rethink having a roommate.  One that isn’t Daniel.  Had no idea she wasn’t paying any rent.  

• Love 5

I thought they did a good job showing how real Issa and Daniel's friendship is.

It started with Daniel kind of over having Issa stay with him so he only offered her one week.

Then Issa tried to soften him up by cleaning up a little in the kitchen.

However, she went to the club with him, encouraged him to talk to the artist and then reach out to Kalil seemed to come from a good place, no hidden agendas.  She wasn't trying to soften him up so that she could stay longer but he ended up offering it to her.

I like how the evening ended, on an up note for both of them, though sexual tension was looming over them but they didn't go there, at least not yet.

Edited by scrb
  • Love 6

This one hit me hard. It felt as if Issa had reverted 5 years to Awkward Black Girl status, with everything in her life relatively shitty, absolutely unable to say the right things, until she turned out to be the exact person Daniel needed at the exact time he needed her. Also, that characterization of Daniel as a man who sees any success in a peer as a zero-sum game--if X makes it, Y is a loser--was heartbreakingly familiar. I think it's more of a guy thing, but I've experienced it and never quite got why they believe that one book published by a friend means one less book published by you. It's self-defeating and pointless and not true but you can see how much it frustrates Daniel all the same. Great episode.

P.S. <shallow> Issa looked like a goddamn goddess in the Wine Down with that braid and that dress, her lips pursed a little as she nodded. Not to get weird, but I've always thought her beauty resided in that smile, which is like the sun coming out, but her serious face in that aftershow was a thing to behold. 

• Love 7

I feel like something is missing from this season. I don’t know if it’s no Lawrence, the

is Molly-free episode, or what but it’s not as funny. I hope it gets better. I’m not sure if Daniel is a great character or not in this bigger role. I agree that Issa needs a new job. Stat. 

On 8/20/2018 at 9:39 AM, qtpye said:

Girl.   I'm struggling.  In my head I'm kung fu fighting you and this statement.  Lol.   Daniel.  A good brotha.   *sigh* yeah ok.   But he also, you know what, ok, nevermind, you right.   He's good.  I guess.   Petty and any nice quality in a man should cancel each other out, but he ain't have to let her stay so. 

On 8/20/2018 at 11:15 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Issa's boss Joanne is displaying classic White Savior Syndrome. Countdown to when she tries to defend herself by mentioning how one her best friends is Black.

At first I wanted to think that maybe Daniel has aged out of the game but there are plenty of producers his age or older. But maybe he's getting too old to be still trying to get his break.

Yeah, I wondered about that. He told Issa that his girl was bothered by Issa still being there but then it looked like the girl actually had better things to do and think about. Last episode though I definitely figured that girl was ramping up all the screaming in the bedroom in order to get on Issa's nerves. (The female version of marking her territory. ?)

It's not racist, that's my hand.  Not a handout,  {{priceisrighthandsweep}} a hand out.  LOL!!!!

Joanne?  

giphy.gif

On 8/20/2018 at 4:40 PM, scrb said:

I thought they did a good job showing how real Issa and Daniel's friendship is.

It started with Daniel kind of over having Issa stay with him so he only offered her one week.

Then Issa tried to soften him up by cleaning up a little in the kitchen.

However, she went to the club with him, encouraged him to talk to the artist and then reach out to Kalil seemed to come from a good place, no hidden agendas.  She wasn't trying to soften him up so that she could stay longer but he ended up offering it to her.

I like how the evening ended, on an up note for both of them, though sexual tension was looming over them but they didn't go there, at least not yet.

Let's argue.   Who's nastier, Daniel or Issa? 

I LOVE how perceptive and supportive she can be.   I feel like that scene perfectly demonstrated how #blackgirlmagic really works at its onset.  You may not see it, but I see it in you, so ready or not let's get it.    It reminded me of a video my daughter showed me, this grown ass white dude is at a skate park and he keeps wiping out on his board, a small group of folks, other skaters and looky loos are standing around watching him try, some giggling a little.   Along comes this black lady who from the sound of it doesn't know a thing about skating or him personally.   She starts talking to him:  get up baby, you can do it, and when you get to this turn right here don't wait all the way to the end to jump, go a couple seconds before that, now get on up and do it again.   And he does.  And the guy nails whatever move he was attempting.    The crowd claps and you can hear her say mmhmm then she walks off.   My girl said there ain't nothing like having a black woman in your corner.  

• Love 11
1 hour ago, ZaldamoWilder said:

Girl.   I'm struggling.  In my head I'm kung fu fighting you and this statement.  Lol.   Daniel.  A good brotha.   *sigh* yeah ok.   But he also, you know what, ok, nevermind, you right.   He's good.  I guess.   Petty and any nice quality in a man should cancel each other out, but he ain't have to let her stay so.

I'ma say it for you.  Daniel is a dick masquerading as a good guy.  I've thought this since his and Issa's "studio session", and then when he showed up at the gala when she was working, the whole sperm-in-the-eye-gate, his real passive aggressive fucking, all of it.  But yeah, he didn't have to let her stay.... 

• Love 9
43 minutes ago, luckyroll3 said:

I'ma say it for you.  Daniel is a dick masquerading as a good guy.  I've thought this since his and Issa's "studio session", and then when he showed up at the gala when she was working, the whole sperm-in-the-eye-gate, his real passive aggressive fucking, all of it.  But yeah, he didn't have to let her stay.... 

Hey Tasha!! hey boo hey!!!

dr2_6_252gif31.gif

Lmao!!! 

Can I tell you, I have, sadly, had occasion to use "you're not a good guy, you only think you're good, you're a fuckboi in good guy's clothing"  since she said it.   And I'llbedambed it cuts down on a whole heap of unnecessary dialogue. 

• Love 5

Issa needs her ass whooped for that 425 credit score. And no, that’s not me saying it, I’m quoting my ratchet ass mama. 

I screamed when Issa said oh now y’all want to be woke when I’ve been an alarm clock this entire time. LOL.

I see Issa and Daniel falling into the same rut as Issa and Lawrence. There’s a pattern either with men Issa picks, or maybe it’s a commentary on black men, but there’s a habit of men not doing what they have to do to succeed. And feeling slightly diminished when they don’t get to do things their way. 

We Got Y’all’s problematic logo aside, the issue is they want to go swoop in and save kids in conjunction with the school. It’s the parents that need the outreach. Emphasis on education and learning from third parties can only do but do much. It has to start at home.

• Love 2
On 9/1/2018 at 5:06 PM, 27bored said:

Issa needs her ass whooped for that 425 credit score. And no, that’s not me saying it, I’m quoting my ratchet ass mama. 

I screamed when Issa said oh now y’all want to be woke when I’ve been an alarm clock this entire time. LOL.

I see Issa and Daniel falling into the same rut as Issa and Lawrence. There’s a pattern either with men Issa picks, or maybe it’s a commentary on black men, but there’s a habit of men not doing what they have to do to succeed. And feeling slightly diminished when they don’t get to do things their way. 

We Got Y’all’s problematic logo aside, the issue is they want to go swoop in and save kids in conjunction with the school. It’s the parents that need the outreach. Emphasis on education and learning from third parties can only do but do much. It has to start at home.

We Got Y’all has so many problems. For starters, I have no idea what they actually do. They come into schools and help kids by doing...something? I don’t think it’s just lazy writing either; I think the point is that We Got Y’all doesn’t really do anything useful. Poor Frida, she seems like the only one who still cares about turning it around.

I remain in constant awe of Issa’s makeup. It’s just flawless all the time. I need to start putting more effort into my morning routine.

• Love 1