Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E11: Your Passages Have Been Paid

• Start Topic

This ep frustrated me pacing wise. The stories I am interested in... the land deal and the custody battle... got the least amount of screentime. Ugh.

Also, Ralph Angel talks about himself raising Blue like he didn't spend 4 years of Blue's life in prison. He is quick to point out how Darla wasn't there for Blue the past few yeats while making it seem like he was & that annoys me.

I guess Charley got played but since there wasn't any follow up to the scene about the vote, I am still somewhat uncertain. I hate how uneven the focus is on the save the land storyline. 

S4 needs a showrunner who can balance storylines. 

• Love 15

I am so glad the show is getting a new showrunner next season. The pacing has been horrible this season.

What was the point of Vi's scenes tonight? It was just filler and took time away from what I was interested in, which was the land deal.

Speaking of, I still don't get what happened. Why have Charley take Colton's shares if she was never going to get an opportunity to vote? I really don't understand why we are getting half-assed information on this story.  Looks like next week is Crap on Charley day---I wanted to punch Remy's smug I-told-you-so face in the previews.

Why didn't Darla's big-mouth mother mention that RA has spent 4 of Blue's 6 years in prison? Vi and Ernest raised that boy, not him. STFU, RA.

Micah is an entitled brat. He is lucky Charley didn't send his ass back to LA with Davis. I would have sent him packing after his little show of disrespect at the school.

All this ancestor talk made me think about how pissed "the ancestors" would be to watch young black folks who have access to all they never had put their futures at risk over a stupid act of rebellion. I liked Nova's speech to Micah regarding that.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 15

AgentRXS - we're definitely on the same page about Micah.  If he'd popped off at me like he did to Charley,  it would've played waaay different.  Right then and there, he wouldn't have had a phone to call his Auntie Nova NOR a fancy car to drive to her house.  

• Love 9

I don't think I'd be here if I spoke to my parents the way Micah speaks to his.

I don't mind Charley getting played but the editing of that scene was terrible. It's not surprising a vote was made without her. Even with Colton's shares, she's still in the minority. So Landry wouldn't need her vote.

I also wouldn't be surprised Colton told his Dad Charley got his shares by blackmail without fully disclosing how she blackmailed him.

So is it required for all the leads to appear in a show? I think Vi's scenes could've been pushed to another week so last night show focuses on Charley, RA, Nova and Micah.

Darla's mother overstepped her bounds and probably inadvertently sabotage Darla's chance of a fair custody.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, zillabreeze said:

AgentRXS - we're definitely on the same page about Micah.  If he'd popped off at me like he did to Charley,  it would've played waaay different. 

I expected her to go snatch that cell phone right out of his hand when he was ignoring her at the school. She is too easy on him. Then she has to call her ex to come over and handle him? 

Darla has me confused. Does she want custody of Blu or not? She certainly wasn't fighting for him at the hearing. She may think she can still play nice with RA and make everybody happy but sometimes it doesn't work that way with someone like RA and his Bordelon posse. There should have been a lot more of a response when RA revealed he already had the DNA test and the results...... 

• Love 6

Michael Michele is starting to get that pulled-back look. Even in her early 50s I think she's too young to be (presumably) messing with her face already. She's always been a gorgeous actress, IMO.

Wow, Charley and Old Lady Landry have a lot in common. They both have overly-indulged brothers and were given the short shrift when it came to inheritance time because they weren't men.

Is RA insane? There's no way he can get full custody of Blue. His lawyer is wrong for letting him think that. Darla would practically have to be a mass murderer before she'd lose total custody.

"Not economically stable"? Sure, sis. That's what you think the biggest problem is.

• Love 3

Yeah, I get that Darla is still working through intense guilt, but if you offer someone a 70/30 custody split and they respond with, "Screw you, I get 100%, you get nothing," it's going to take more than just being quiet and kind to come back from that.

• Love 3

Everyone is woke and hard until the cops come knocking. Micah and the rest of the woke crew remembered that they're just kids, and they don't want to throw their futures away.

When they all lied about not being with Ant during the fire, I immediately thought of this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ytOXXqHVQk

I really hope that it's the last of seeing Micah's friends. I'd be OK with Micah being downgraded next season, too.

Sigh, of course, old lady Landry played Charley. I wouldn't be surprised if she conspired with Jacob to get in Charley's head. And per usual, next week, the pile on starts. It's easy to get on your high horse when you offer no solutions. It's wishful thinking on my part, but I hope she lets those farmers have it. When she needed them, they abandoned her. She did what she had to do to save her mill, and they want to complain.

Agreed that the pacing was off. We have the Charley/Landry scene where Charley gets egg on her face, and the next scene cuts to Vi's interview. Vi's scenes made the episode feel disjointed.

Darla needs to grow a spine. I don't agree with either one getting sole custody, but she has got to stop letting RA walk over her. If he can turn his life around doing criminal shit and be applauded for it, then so should Darla.

Edited by Sheenieb
  • Love 8

Doesn't a board member need to be officially told of a vote? Whether they attend is different, but they need to be informed.

Micah needs to be slapped upside the head, his friends are going to end up being first occupants of the jail. 

On 8/8/2018 at 11:33 PM, AgentRXS said:

Why didn't Darla's big-mouth mother mention that RA has spent 4 of Blue's 6 years in prison? Vi and Ernest raised that boy, not him. STFU, RA.

Does her mother really want to go there? Where Darla was during this time seems to be walked on eggshells about but her mother keeps bringing up RA's people in his house now like it's the worst or his jail time. How about they bring in where Hollywood to point out he found Blue  in a  motel  while Darla was having sex with a john for money. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Artsda said:

Does her mother really want to go there? Where Darla was during this time seems to be walked on eggshells about but her mother keeps bringing up RA's people in his house now like it's the worst or his jail time. How about they bring in where Hollywood to point out he found Blue  in a  motel  while Darla was having sex with a john for money. 

This is all known, though. Everyone knows Darla was a drug addict and we even got the Sponsor scene then later comment from the mediator about Darla's sponsor's recommendation letter. That Darla spent years strung out, doing the ho stroll for drugs, and initially didn't take well to rehab stints seems to be public knowledge. And judging from the non-reaction in the room from Darlene demanding a paternity test, that maybe those in the room were also in the know that there were doubts about paternity. I don't think any of the characters is on eggshells about Darla's past behavior cause it's been talked about openly all three seasons & calling her an ex druggie whore on repeat only makes everyone else look trashy. Half the reason I think Darla isn't more firm in her statements to people about the custody issue & that she still shows a hesitance in speaking up is due to her continuing guilt about her past addiction behavior hurting others, not just herself. 

And didn't RA take Blue with him when he knocked over a convenience store after he was paroled? So neither one can really throw stones on bad shit done in front of Blue. 

All that said, the point I think @AgentRXS was trying to make is that RA keeps misrepresenting himself as if he has been there the entire 6 years of Blue's life and been the only one raising him while Darla was never ever there. Vi & Ernest raised Blue for 4 years, not RA or Darla, because neither of Blue's parents was capable of doing so for different reasons.  RA keeps stating "I raised him" as if he's been the sole person responsible that has looked after Blue all these years. It's an absolute that RA stays repeating when he's maybe had custody of Blue for only a few months and that's only after Vi relented guardianship of Blue several months after RA was paroled. Not to mention, once RA was paroled, Darla was back in the picture & sober again, hovering at first in her desire to spend time with Blue and then she & RA began to work their way back to each other romantically. 

19 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

I really hope that it's the last of seeing Micah's friends. I'd be OK with Micah being downgraded next season, too.

I support this too. 

• Love 8

I swear, when the old lady was going on about how she was screwed over in place of an undeserving brother and was still trying to please her dead father, I could hear Charlie thinking "Lady, I know exactly what you mean." Can Charlie just get a dang win for once? I am sick of everyone piling on her all the time for trying to help, even as no one else comes up with other ideas. Charlie does mess up sometimes, but at least she tries! 

Speaking of, I would have gotten a major league telling off and a VERY long grounding if I had sassed off to my mom like Micah did to Charlie when she brought up the totally legit issue that he and his friends did something really stupid and illegal, and they could all go to jail. Charlie is too soft on Micah, either because he has never really needed discipline until lately, or guilt over how much crap he has been through lately. I did like Novas speech to Micah a lot, and pretty much sums up all the problems with Micah and his new Woke buddies. They have ideas, but no real plans as to how to share those ideas or affect any real change. Their only plans for protesting the plantation was to show up and act pissed, and then to sneak in and mess with stuff, and accidentally set a historical landmark on fire. How does that really change anything? They are teenagers after all, and while teens can organize for causes that are important to them, and do, there are also plenty of teens who tend to act first, and think about consequences later. 

Darla really is so much more mature than RA on every level. I just cant with Ralph Angels smug smirks all of the time. Really, I would mention less about him being financially unstable, and more like "he was in jail for years, would be in jail now except for cheap luck and his family bailing him out, and he has the entitlement and maturity of a three year old" or something like that. He loves Blue, and I dont think he should lose custody, but so does Darla, and neither should she. And at least Darla is aware that she makes mistakes and is trying to fix them. RA just makes excuses and waits for his family to prop him up. 

The Vi stuff seemed like filler. I wanted to see more of the prison/land plot, and while I also like Vis pie stuff, the other stuff is a bit more pressing. 

Nice to see Too Sweet, and I liked his scene with Nova, with Nova admitting that she was a part of the incarceration problem selling pot, and Too Sweet taking responsibility for buying the pot*, while also saying how lucky he was to get this second chance. You know, the opposite of how RA is about anything ever. 

*Not getting into how ridiculous drug laws are in this country, and how much they disproportionately hurt poor and minority people. Thats a whole different issue.*

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

All that said, the point I think @AgentRXS was trying to make is that RA keeps misrepresenting himself as if he has been there the entire 6 years of Blue's life and been the only one raising him while Darla was never ever there. Vi & Ernest raised Blue for 4 years, not RA or Darla, because neither of Blue's parents was capable of doing so for different reasons.  RA keeps stating "I raised him" as if he's been the sole person responsible that has looked after Blue all these years. It's an absolute that RA stays repeating when he's maybe had custody of Blue for only a few months and that's only after Vi relented guardianship of Blue several months after RA was paroled. Not to mention, once RA was paroled, Darla was back in the picture & sober again, hovering at first in her desire to spend time with Blue and then she & RA began to work their way back to each other romantically.

Exactly my point! RA takes full credit for stuff that other people (mostly Vi and Ernest) have done for him and it pisses me off. The only reason why RA is walking free right now is because of dumb luck and Vi covering for him by moving the stolen goods off his property, yet he acts like he's been a model citizen.

RA acts like he saved Ernest's crops all by himself while it was mostly through Charley's money and Remy's know-how. He acts like was the present father and ever-suffering significant other, all the while it was Vi and Ernest who raised Blue.  RA on his own was unable to handle Blue's acting out in a mature and parental way. He needs people to prop him up and then acts like he can walk all by himself.

If the Bordelons ever completely cut RA off, RA would get himself killed or back in prison in a very short amount of time. He doesn't think things through and has a too short of a temper. He needs to grow up.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

He loves Blue, and I dont think he should lose custody, but so does Darla, and neither should she. And at least Darla is aware that she makes mistakes and is trying to fix them. RA just makes excuses and waits for his family to prop him up. 

They both love Blue.  But RA's love is selfish right now.  RA is afraid Blue might like Darla's place more than his, because it's so nice and fun, and might like being there. more than with him.  He's not thinking about how great it is for Blue to have a nice and fun room at his mom's place.  He's not thinking of how much it adds to Blue's life to have his mother in his life, as well as the experiences and opportunities she can provide him.  He's not thinking about what is best for Blue and what might make his life better.  He's afraid Blue will love Darla more than him, and he'll lose Blue. 

Edited by izabella
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, izabella said:

He's afraid Blue will love Darla more than him, and he'll lose Blue.

Yep. And the worst thing is the show acts as if there's a competition between the parents when there isn't. All Darla has ever wanted to do, is provide a stable atmosphere where Blue can grow and thrive. It's Ralph Angel, and only Ralph Angel, who keeps making everything Darla does, for Blue, about him.

And Darla is never allowed to point out RA's constant temper tantrums, questionable work history or prison stint, because the show has decided all those things are what makes Ralph Angel "noble."

It has gotten to the point where I now have to skip scenes with Ralph Angel because the writing is so lopsided. For instance, the show made sure an overbearing Darlene attended the custody meeting yet made sure to exclude Violet's shrill self just to make Ralph Angel that much more "responsible."

Edited by Dee
  • Love 7

I'm seeing tweets saying Charley is to blame for the building of the prison that Micah may end up at. One of the QS producers even liked a tweet stating this. I'm kinda lost so can someone explain this to me like I am a fifth grader. Please. LOL.

This is how I see the situation. Landry and his sister have over 80% of the vote in Landry Enterprises. Charley sold Queen Sugar Mill for cash and negotiated 1% of Landry Enterprise as a "bonus".

Landry is selling their land to the state to build a prison. Ralph Angel's farm is needed for the sale. The state can use eminent domain to seize RA farm. End of story. RA loses the farm. The prison is built.  However, Landry Enterprise shareholders have to vote on the prison deal. 

Charley uses Landry's sister information on Sam's son to purchase his 10% of Landry's Enterprise. So now Charley has 11% of Landry's Enterprise and dirt on Colton Landry. Landry's sister and Charley planned to vote against the private prison. However, the vote already took place without Charley (and maybe the sisters input).

Okay this is where I am confused. If Landry sister played Charley it makes no sense. What was her end goal? The Landry siblings have over 80% of the company stock. They don't need Charley's 11% for a majority vote. Why give Charley an additional 10% stock in the company and dirt on a Landry. If the Landry siblings are in this together the vote would pass. The prison will be built. So huh? What is going on? The plot makes NO sense.

• Love 9

Yeah, I don't think the sister played Charlie. I think they both got played, and the sister knew that their hands were tied. Hopefully, the sister is plotting something else.

On 8/10/2018 at 11:47 PM, Dee said:

It has gotten to the point where I now have to skip scenes with Ralph Angel because the writing is so lopsided.

Speaking of lopsided, why is RA's mouth always twisted up? It was really noticeable in the close-ups during the mediation hearing. I know I'm being petty, but I'm bothered by how they are directing Kofi Siriboe this season. The whispering, the twisted mouth - it's all making RA more annoying than he already is.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, cassieb said:

Okay this is where I am confused. If Landry sister played Charley it makes no sense. What was her end goal? The Landry siblings have over 80% of the company stock. They don't need Charley's 11% for a majority vote. Why give Charley an additional 10% stock in the company and dirt on a Landry. If the Landry siblings are in this together the vote would pass. The prison will be built. So huh? What is going on? The plot makes NO sense

Yes! This is supposed to be a major level plot and we get maybe 20 minutes airtime total on it per episode hour and half of that time is spent with Charley and Jacob love/hate-staring at each other. I want to know what is going on and why everything has to be Charley's fault all the time. That is why Vi's commercial bugged me so. I already know her pies are supposed to be delicious so what? Explain the prison plot to me, show, preferably in depth so I can understand wtf is going on.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, AgentRXS said:

This is supposed to be a major level plot and we get maybe 20 minutes airtime total on it per episode hour and half of that time is spent with Charley and Jacob love/hate-staring at each other.

I wish we got 20 minutes. We get more like 2 minutes an episode. Jacob hasn't been on since ep 9 & that was only for a minute. I was frustrated that we got zero follow up from the boardroom scene in this ep. The pacing of the land story is so off. I am not sure Charley got played cause that storyline was dropped so abruptly from the ep. WTF? 

I was talking with a friend about the show the other day cause he is frustrated by how much screentime Vi gets in each ep when her storyline seems stretched and on repeat in each ep this season instead of connecting to the other stories or moving other stories along. 

I am glad Remy & Nova are over cause that took up a lot of screentime when it wasn't IMO a good story in how it played out but it looks like instead of the 'save the land story' getting that additional screentime, especially with it supposedly being so vital to all the main characters, it went to Micah's storyline. Ugh. 

I appreciate that S3 hasn't been as depressing as S2 but the storylines aren't balanced at all & it is frustrating how some things get too much focus and others, not enough.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

I was talking with a friend about the show the other day cause he is frustrated by how much screentime Vi gets in each ep when her storyline seems stretched and on repeat in each ep this season instead of connecting to the other stories or moving other stories along. 

I am glad Remy & Nova are over cause that took up a lot of screentime when it wasn't IMO a good story in how it played out but it looks like instead of the 'save the land story' getting that additional screentime, especially with it supposedly being so vital to all the main characters, it went to Micah's storyline. Ugh. 

I appreciate that S3 hasn't been as depressing as S2 but the storylines aren't balanced at all & it is frustrating how some things get too much focus and others, not enough.

Vi's pie storyline is feel good filler. The only time this season that Vi and Hollywood were relevant was during Hollywood's mother's visit. She posed valid questions to Hollywood about what he wants out of life and from his relationship with Vi. Of course, Hollywood hasn't actually developed a life and changed since then. He exist to be the "perfect man" for Vi.

All that angst and instant love between Nova and Remy for them to break up because of the pain they could cause Charley. Of course, this happened after they already hurt Charley by telling her about their "relationship". I think Charley will give Nova her blessing to be with Remy. They will reunite on the season finale. If not, seriously what was the point?

One more thing about the Landry/Charley plot. Why didn't Charley take the information about Colton and blackmail Sam? She could of told him withdraw your petition to sell the land for the private prison. If you don't my lawyer will inform the state attorney and media about Colton's money laundering. Or better yet, she should of forwarded the information to the media & state attorney. The ensuing investigation would stop the Landry's bid for the prison and probably put Landry Enterprise out of business. This would accomplish Charley's goal of taking down the Landry's. Again, this plot makes NO sense!

Edited by cassieb
  • Love 2

The Bordelons never once supported Darla in ger recovery and undermined her every step of the way.  I am and will continue to be pissed at the way Charley fired her without cause, while Charlie would be fighting against "at will" employment.

• Love 4
On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:59 PM, tennisgurl said:

I swear, when the old lady was going on about how she was screwed over in place of an undeserving brother and was still trying to please her dead father, I could hear Charlie thinking "Lady, I know exactly what you mean." Can Charlie just get a dang win for once? I am sick of everyone piling on her all the time for trying to help, even as no one else comes up with other ideas. Charlie does mess up sometimes, but at least she tries! 

Speaking of, I would have gotten a major league telling off and a VERY long grounding if I had sassed off to my mom like Micah did to Charlie when she brought up the totally legit issue that he and his friends did something really stupid and illegal, and they could all go to jail. Charlie is too soft on Micah, either because he has never really needed discipline until lately, or guilt over how much crap he has been through lately. I did like Novas speech to Micah a lot, and pretty much sums up all the problems with Micah and his new Woke buddies. They have ideas, but no real plans as to how to share those ideas or affect any real change. Their only plans for protesting the plantation was to show up and act pissed, and then to sneak in and mess with stuff, and accidentally set a historical landmark on fire. How does that really change anything? They are teenagers after all, and while teens can organize for causes that are important to them, and do, there are also plenty of teens who tend to act first, and think about consequences later. 

Darla really is so much more mature than RA on every level. I just cant with Ralph Angels smug smirks all of the time. Really, I would mention less about him being financially unstable, and more like "he was in jail for years, would be in jail now except for cheap luck and his family bailing him out, and he has the entitlement and maturity of a three year old" or something like that. He loves Blue, and I dont think he should lose custody, but so does Darla, and neither should she. And at least Darla is aware that she makes mistakes and is trying to fix them. RA just makes excuses and waits for his family to prop him up. 

The Vi stuff seemed like filler. I wanted to see more of the prison/land plot, and while I also like Vis pie stuff, the other stuff is a bit more pressing. 

Nice to see Too Sweet, and I liked his scene with Nova, with Nova admitting that she was a part of the incarceration problem selling pot, and Too Sweet taking responsibility for buying the pot*, while also saying how lucky he was to get this second chance. You know, the opposite of how RA is about anything ever. 

*Not getting into how ridiculous drug laws are in this country, and how much they disproportionately hurt poor and minority people. Thats a whole different issue.*

I

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:08 PM, Dee said:

Well, Well, Well, Queen Charley and her fabled "plans" got PLAYED.

Never saw that coming.

Oh, wait....

something is telling me this land deal thing isn't over yet . It was too weird the way Mama strolled out of the room when Landry announced they had already voted. I feel there is more to come,  Now either she screwed Charley, or Landry screwed them both. Mama may have something else up her sleeve.

• Love 2