Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: The Coffin

• Start Topic

I never thought in a million years that I would be chanting "We want Hitler!, We want Hitler!" The show let me down again, maybe next week. I am no mechanical genius, but I am pretty sure what Jesse did would not make the air pump  explode and doubly wouldn't make the coffin explode. Tulip getting sliced by that old lady, in what world. I saw Tulip get thrown through a bookcase without a scratch (and that was in this episode). Tulip should have kicked God it the nads while he was bending over her, he was right there! Looks like Cassidy is about to learn some new tricks.

• Love 2

During the fist fight, I was surprised that no one tried to use the horns over the bathroom door as a weapon. And someone ought to tell T.C. that a toilet bowl brush isn't exactly a fearsome weapon. Gross maybe, but not fearsome. The hairdryer flamethrower was a good one though.

An awful lot of conspicuous Apple product placement on this show.

Could anyone make out the titles of the comic books on the floor of Tulip and Jesse's room during the slow pan showing the mess on the floor?

Granny and T.C. role-playing. Ew.

Well, Cassidy was looking for vampires, so being rescued by the local pack of Vampire-Lestat-alikes is a good thing, right?

2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I never thought in a million years that I would be chanting "We want Hitler!, We want Hitler!"

It's like watching the various DBZ shows when they do a tournament story which has half of the audience wearing hats or t-shirts or holding pennants that say "SATAN!" on them.

4 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

The All-Father puts me in mind of Mr. Creosote.

I was thinking more along the lines of Baron Harkonnen myself.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I never thought in a million years that I would be chanting "We want Hitler!, We want Hitler!" The show let me down again, maybe next week.

LOL, second that! Two weeks, episode 7 is titled `Hitler`. Hopefully we get a little bit next week. I`m ready for this grandma situation to be done. There`s been a lot of filler, IMO; It`s been amusing but I feel like not a lot has happened.

1 hour ago, Sandman87 said:

Granny and T.C. role-playing. Ew.

Yeah, and to what end? It didn`t really gross me out but, unless we get some context for it, like who they were supposed to be, it was really kind of pointless and either way I really couldn`t care less. In the meantime, Tulip managing to escape and get Jodi chained up happens offscreen?! That`s garbage storytelling, I would've much rather seen how she pulled that off!  

Speaking of stuff happening offscreen, I remember Herr Star`s female underling being on the bus with Tulip but I don`t recall Tulip breaking her nose. Did they not show that either or am I just forgetting?

• Love 1

Tulip punched her out when she spotted her lurking in the underbrush through the scope of Jody's rifle during target practice.

The role-playing with Miss Marie and T.C. reminded me of that Looney Toons cartoon where Yosemite Sam was chasing Granny and she exclaimed "Land sake, nothing like this has happened to me since the boys got back from Gettysburg!" Probably not the vibe the showrunners were aiming for.

• Love 5

Madame L'Angelle is such a cunning piece of garbage! Is there a way to break the hold she has on both Jesse and Tulip at this point?

So those people who took Cassidy at the end, are they real vampires or are they vampire groupies?

7 minutes ago, showme said:

So those people who took Cassidy at the end, are they real vampires or are they vampire groupies?

It seemed like there was at least one real vampire mixed in with a lot of vampire cosplayers.

• Love 2
(edited)

"Lets start with the Grail training good ol' Humperdoo in the art of greeting dignitaries. Then we'll make him dance, which is the one thing he's good at. Why? Preacher, that's fucking why!!" Garth Ennis may not have written that, but its in his spirit. Bonus: ALLFATHER!!!! I would've expected CGI, but this version works.

How could you not laugh at the dancing? Only thing missing was Humperdoo screeching "PUTTIN' ON THE RIIIIIITTTTZ!!!!" Sorry, I can't really write it the way Peter Boyle did it in Young Frankenstein.

Also, we get the specter of John Wayne, which I didn't think we'd get. After all, he was absent in the first two seasons, and the timeline has skewed from the original comic. Maybe Jesse's grandpa was in Vietnam?

Hey, Civil War reenactment!! Man, I imagine somebody just tuning in, realizing the familial connection, then throwing up everywhere.

19 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

It's like watching the various DBZ shows when they do a tournament story which has half of the audience wearing hats or t-shirts or holding pennants that say "SATAN!" on them.

Here's the guy @Sandman87 is talking about. Because Japan, I guess.

ETA: I think the vampires are based off Cassidy's one-shot comic.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, showme said:

My guess is vampire groupies. I suspect that scene of Cassidy flying with their leader in the sneak peek is the result of some truly epic drugs rather than supernatural powers.

Edited by Bruinsfan
15 hours ago, Daltrey said:

LOL, second that! Two weeks, episode 7 is titled `Hitler`. Hopefully we get a little bit next week. I`m ready for this grandma situation to be done. There`s been a lot of filler, IMO; It`s been amusing but I feel like not a lot has happened.

I do think this episode was fairly actiony and did move the plot along, but it's time to wrap this plot line up. The show tends to do this and slow down a little too much in the middle of each season. To be fair they got to the "what's going to happen if grandma dies" question quick enough. I'd still like to know what Cassidy paid for the love potion. I'm not particularly interested in Cassidy's hijinks in New Orleans unless it's tied to the main story tbh. 

15 hours ago, Daltrey said:

I remember Herr Star`s female underling being on the bus with Tulip but I don`t recall Tulip breaking her nose. Did they not show that either or am I just forgetting?

The underlings were spying on them, and Tulip caught her and beat her hard. 

Starr kills me. I love how the actor plays the 'put upon' attitude. WHAT *now* idiots?! I didn't think the plan to hold Cassidy hostage was particularly clever since Jessie might not even be able to get away, but I can understand that if the timetable was moved up on the messiah that they needed to act fast. 

Why is he called the 'allfather' and not the pope? He was dressed like the pope. Or was he just dressed like that?

I also can't buy that Ruby had that tough of a time with TC. She should have mopped the floor with him. 

• Love 3
(edited)
15 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

The role-playing with Miss Marie and T.C. reminded me of that Looney Toons cartoon where Yosemite Sam was chasing Granny and she exclaimed "Land sake, nothing like this has happened to me since the boys got back from Gettysburg!" Probably not the vibe the showrunners were aiming for.

Great, now you've got me thinking about Loony Toons quotes. I just know I'll be trying to insert them in every scene from now on.

ETA:

Here's the guy @Sandman87 is talking about. Because Japan, I guess.

Not exactly. I was talking about the crowds, as depicted in this GIF. Note the "I Love Satan" banner at the lower right.

Edited by Sandman87
(edited)

I think Ruth used an Ass double in the fight with TC, they could kick high enough but it wasn’t quite as ‘shapely’ Lol

Does anyone care that the toilet roll wasn’t even singed by TC’s flame weapon or about the quality of Big Red’s fake muscles? Nah, more of the same please guys! 

Edited by OoohMaggie
4 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

I think Ruth used an Ass double in the fight with TC, they could kick high enough but it wasn’t quite as ‘shapely’ Lol

Does anyone care that the toilet roll wasn’t even singed by TC’s flame weapon or about the quality of Big Red’s fake muscles? Nah, more of the same please guys! 

So much fast paced action didn't even notice. The storyline and characters are so outrageously funny, CrAaZy it makes up for those mistakes. 

• Love 2
On 7/23/2018 at 12:46 PM, showme said:

Madame L'Angelle is such a cunning piece of garbage! Is there a way to break the hold she has on both Jesse and Tulip at this point?

Tulip needed to kill Madame L'Angelle to break her hold on Jesse, and she did kill her, so her hold on Jesse should be broken now.  (Just as a new Slayer rises when the previous Slayer dies, and remains a Slayer even if the dead Slayer is resurrected, the spell should still be broken.)

As far as her tie to Tulip, don't know how that can be broken, but she took a big chance with that.  Tulip doesn't live a sedate life, and she's already died once, so Madame L'Angelle's longevity would not have been a sure thing if Tulip had left.

• Love 2

Oooh I didn't think of that. I don't think Jessie and Tulip thought of that either. 

28 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

As far as her tie to Tulip, don't know how that can be broken, but she took a big chance with that.  Tulip doesn't live a sedate life, and she's already died once, so Madame L'Angelle's longevity would not have been a sure thing if Tulip had left.

It doesn't work in reverse. TC was saying that the adrenaline shot affected her heart, and Tulip said "well I feel fine", TC countered that. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, WalkerTalker said:

So much fast paced action didn't even notice. The storyline and characters are so outrageously funny, CrAaZy it makes up for those mistakes. 

Absolutely, If only we could have the same level of imagination put into TWD, how can you not love having a brawl to Werewolves of London!

• Love 4

Saw the episode last night.   I can't put my finger on it (yet) but this show has lost something for me.  I'm bored by it.  I know I'm bored with Grandma and Angelville.  (Also, as someone noted above -- the soft shoe routine was done before and better by Mel Brooks.)

• Love 2
9 hours ago, ganesh said:

It doesn't work in reverse. TC was saying that the adrenaline shot affected her heart, and Tulip said "well I feel fine", TC countered that. 

I took that to mean that no matter how sick Madame L'Angelle was, Tulip wouldn't be affected unless Madame actually died. After all, Madame was in a wheel chair,  with an IV and a colostomy bag, and Tulip felt perfectly normal until she killed her.

TC also said something to Madame about dissolving Tulip's feet or otherwise harming her, and then said something else which led me to believe that Tulip could be hurt but couldn't be killed without killing Madame. Perhaps someone will rewatch and report back.

1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:

Absolutely, If only we could have the same level of imagination put into TWD, how can you not love having a brawl to Werewolves of London!

I don't watch Preacher or Legion, which I also enjoy, primarily for the storyline. I watch them for the imaginative visuals and creative use of music. Preacher has much more character development than Legion, but Legion is visually stunning and different from anything else.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

TC also said something to Madame about dissolving Tulip's feet or otherwise harming her, and then said something else which led me to believe that Tulip could be hurt but couldn't be killed without killing Madame. Perhaps someone will rewatch and report back.

Wasn't TC saying that she couldn't kill Tulip or take her soul because Jesse would never forgive her for it? I'm guessing that she needs Jesse's showmanship to draw in people so she can have more business and get the souls she needs to extend her life.

Which does bring up the matter of what exactly happens to a soul once it's been eaten.

• Love 4

Jesse is clearly the roper in this whole con. It looks like he's been since he was in high school based on the flashbacks. TC was arguing against doing anything to Tulip because he was speculating that Jesse might just snap and lose it at that point. If they kill Tulip, then he's really got nothing left to lose. But there's nothing that actually prohibits them from doing anything to her. 

It would seem that use of the voice would clearly solve their problems here. The problem for me is I don't have a sense of time. Has it been only a few days since Tulip was brought back to life? I'd think Jesse would be urgent to get the rest of his soul back and use the voice to clean it all up and get out of there. 

I'm dying to find out if the curse was broken because she technically did die. 

• Love 2

She was resuscitated medically rather than resurrected from the dead. My guess would be that she wasn't dead in a spiritual sense yet, at least not enough to cancel out all metaphysical debts and connections. Clearly the one binding her to Tulip is still in effect, so I don't see the one she holds over Jesse's head being any different.

• Love 1

Someone else threw that out there, but it would be a nice loophole. Technically, Tulip was dead, so maybe she was too. 

Jesse and Tulip need to catch a break, just storywise. TPTB took the voice away from him because it's all-powerful and there would be no plot if he used it all the time, so I get that. Grandma has a continual hold on both Jesse and Tulip - if her hold on Jesse is broken because Tulip 'killed' her, then they have at least one person who can act independently, and Tulip isn't so much of a screw up as she keeps beating herself up for because she was able to break the curse. 

I really hope the two of them aren't stuck there for the entire season. I feel like it's time to tie this plot up. 

• Love 1

In the meantime, Tulip managing to escape and get Jodi chained up happens offscreen?! That`s garbage storytelling, I would've much rather seen how she pulled that off!  

That was total garbage! I feel like a good half-act's worth of story got jettisoned due to time or whatever, but they could have dropped a few minutes of crossword crap and Jesse's self indulgent spiritual travels with the Duke and actually shown it. Right up with Featherstone's insanely broken up nose healing in moments when she needed to go undercover in the bar to spy/kidnap Cassidy with no explanation. (Speaking of that little plan, I don't get why Featherstone waited until Cassidy was that fucked up to grab him, unless it was a "letting him do the incapacitating work for us" move, which, fine. But then maybe wait until he sobers up a tad bit more before the hostage video? They seemed to be working against their own interests there.)

You know you're in a real NOLA bar when you can openly pound horse tranqs and two full bottles right out in the open and nobody cares one bit. Also, glad that they established that Cass does indeed develop fangs, no matter how messy he is with them. It's just not the same without the teeth, ya know? 

And I can see why Starr and Co. were feeling the pressure: that guy playing the Allfather is seriously creepy. Like, not in the gross mannerisms but in that unblinking, horrifying stare. Genuinely unnerving and you could believe even the world's biggest bastard, Starr, would be...diplomatic in his dealings with the guy.

On the bright side, I think Tulip miiiiight be finally grasping how in over her stubborn head she is here--she outright said to Jesse "I shoulda listened to you, you told me to stay away from her." Yeah, no shit, Tulip. At least they finally have the parameters of their problem established, plus, the answer to why Gran'ma's still alive--she uses souls, apparently, as some kind of warding off the Grim Reaper Botox. And hey, Madame Boyd conveniently lined herself up as the next target, right?

(edited)

If Grandma eats a soul, what's the longevity on that?  Has she gone all these years Jessie has been gone without one and that's why she is wheelchair bound?  Wonder if she ate a couple if she'd be young again?  The allfather reminds me of some character, but all I can come up with is Pizza the Hut or Henry the VIII.  Did anyone look for  the handkerchief while she was dead?  These and other questions. lol

Edited by kelslamu
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, kelslamu said:

The allfather reminds me of some character

I said some time ago that he has the ‘Mr Creosote’ from Monty Python  look about him, “Oh sir it’s only wafer thin” Or Jabba the hut maybe? Henry the 8th not so much!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, OoohMaggie said:
13 hours ago, kelslamu said:

The allfather reminds me of some character

I said some time ago that he has the ‘Mr Creosote’ from Monty Python  look about him, “Oh sir it’s only wafer thin”

That`s pretty spot on , lol! The costume reminds of something from Alice In Wonderland...the Tweedles I think(?) which is interesting because the actor played the psychiatrist in Once Upon a Time in Wonderland. Fans of The Blacklist would recognize him as corrupt U.S. Marshall Ian Garvey. Jonny Coyne, a fantastic and versatile actor IMO.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/28/2018 at 4:03 AM, kelslamu said:

If Grandma eats a soul, what's the longevity on that?  Has she gone all these years Jessie has been gone without one and that's why she is wheelchair bound?  Wonder if she ate a couple if she'd be young again?  The allfather reminds me of some character, but all I can come up with is Pizza the Hut or Henry the VIII.  Did anyone look for  the handkerchief while she was dead?  These and other questions. lol

On 7/28/2018 at 10:20 AM, AngelKitty said:

He reminds me of the Scottish baby eater in the Austin Powers movie.

On 7/28/2018 at 4:06 PM, OoohMaggie said:

I said some time ago that he has the ‘Mr Creosote’ from Monty Python  look about him, “Oh sir it’s only wafer thin” Or Jabba the hut maybe? Henry the 8th not so much!

On 7/28/2018 at 5:55 PM, Daltrey said:

That`s pretty spot on , lol! The costume reminds of something from Alice In Wonderland...the Tweedles I think(?) which is interesting because the actor played the psychiatrist in Once Upon a Time in Wonderland. Fans of The Blacklist would recognize him as corrupt U.S. Marshall Ian Garvey. Jonny Coyne, a fantastic and versatile actor IMO.

He reminded me of the gruesome character in Dune, Baron Harkonnen. I was wondering how many souls granny needs too. She did get younger looking after she saved Tulip. I thought she took some of her soul then. I thought they   didn't look for the hanky because they are with granny's boys. They will protect her in death, and life.

Edited by WalkerTalker
Wasn't done writing
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, WalkerTalker said:
On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎28 at 2:55 PM, Daltrey said:

He reminded me of the gruesome character in Dune, Baron Harkonnen.

Ah, a few others had mentioned Baron H, but with no reference to Dune. Sadly, I`ve never read or seen it so I wouldn`t know. Thanks for the clarification.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:
On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎28 at 2:55 PM, Daltrey said:

Fans of The Blacklist would recognize him as corrupt U.S. Marshall Ian Garvey. Jonny Coyne, a fantastic and versatile actor IMO.

Wow, thanks for that!  I did not recognize him!

You`re welcome, lol! To be honest, with all the makeup, I didn`t recognize him right away either. It was his voice that gave it away.

• Love 2
On 7/30/2018 at 2:42 AM, Daltrey said:

Ah, a few others had mentioned Baron H, but with no reference to Dune. Sadly, I`ve never read or seen it so I wouldn`t know. Thanks for the clarification.

Google Baron Harkonnen, Dune. His boiled filled face will come up under images, yukkity,yuk, pukkity puk. 

• Love 2